VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Responsive customer service, great price, great features."
Bad "None for a year now (see review)"
Overall "Amazing value, getting more reliable all time."

Update 3/23/14

I know it's been available for a while but I've just started using the newly user control panel for VOIPo. The control panel, or VPanel, in VOIPo-speak allows you to log in online and manage the features and review your account. A feature rich service like VOIPo's makes for complex account management! The revised VPanel is huge improvement, simple to find what you're looking for and with plain English description of options and features when needed. Nice one VOIPo!

Otherwise...
No glitches or hiccups in the service since the last review and the call quality is always great.
I did contact support with one technical question (an ugly hardcore low-level puzzler) and they got back to me quick and with the correct info.

These guys'n'gals are clearly knocking the ball out of the park for VOIP service.

Update 10/6/2013

It's been a year? No way!

Well I have no update to report. No issues. Working fine without a hitch for a year now.

I'm still get great responses (timely and intelligent, techie/nerdy as needed) when I ask for a clarification on a services/features.

I realize now that VOIPo have changed how I see telephone service since I dropped Verizon years ago. Despite the bumps along the way.

The ratings have been upped to reflect the reliable service and solid support.

Update 12/2013

Woah! Sorry, an update is so overdue!

A serious tech issues came back in November 2012, sometimes incoming calls were immediately directed to voicemail. VOIPo worked with me and in late November updated the firmware. Since then there's been no instance of anything not working correctly.

I've update the ratings to reflect the new reliability and the support.

Update 9/21/2012

Ahhh, I'm getting so burned out on these technical issues!

Since the update to the FW I've been getting partial breakdowns every few weeks. What happens is the VOIPo servers loose the registration of my internet/phone adapter. I'm left with a dial tone and can dial out but all incoming calls go straight to VOIPo voicemail.

VOIPo have asked me to take the adapter off UPS in case dirty UPS power is causing the problem. I have plugged it into the outlet direct but the issue reccurs. My UPS logs show the power has been clean and my modem shows the ISP connection has been stable during these "events."

On their part VOIPo have been responsive to support tickets, though the responses are getting more and more terse. In response to the current issue they have changed a value in the adapter firmware that will make the adapter more tolerant of server connectivity fluctuations. Time will tell if that resolves this latest issue.

With so many good reviews of VOIPo I suspect some of these problems are ISP related, so it's not a wholely bad reflection on VOIPo... but it's just one issue after another!

Another update coming in a month, or sooner.

Update 8/9/2012

After raising another support ticket for one-sided calls (even with modem before router) VOIPo support flashed a new firmware in my phone adapter. Since then, a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Let's hope this sticks.

Update 7/3/2012

Well , not much has changed. We're still getting one-sided calls happening. Sometimes the rate of this peaks to well over over half the calls, but usually stays lower, about 1/4th of all calls. I've also had disconnects if I'm using the mute on my phone.

Despite the perfect pricing plan that VOIPo has for my usage pattern, the service just hasn't been reliable enough to keep. I can't tell if the issue is with Cox (my ISP) or the ATA hardware, or VOIPo's service/servers but I do know VOIPo service, as responsive as it is, hasn't resolved or pin-pointed the problem.

VOIPo has fantastic plans, pricing, and features, but it just ain't reliable enough. I am shopping around now for alternatives.

Updated 1/17/12

Sorry, this is so overdue!

Been having some issues, like others in these reviews, about calls not connecting and one sided calls. This has been going on for months.

VOIPo support has been responsive to every ticket. I've been put on different VOIPo servers, had two ATA devices, ran diagnostic internet performance tests, moved devices on my LAN, setup porting/routing on my router, had call routes provisioned, traffic switched to just VOIPo servers...

But, I'm still getting call connection issues.

This may not be VOIPo's fault, there is still my Surfboard, Cox Communications ISP, and the Internet at large in the mix.

I will update again... soon.

_______________________________________________________

Had VOIPo for a year now, just renewed for another year.

Well, there's not much to say really. It works, it's reliable if your ISP, modem and router are reliable. (I'll qualify that later.)

They provide a telephone adapter, it goes after the modem/router and you plug the phone line right in, standard phone jack... and off you go.

The package I find suits me best is the 1year, it includes 60mins/month international landline calls, never any charge to any number in the US.

The fax line was additional $25/year, it works using document upload/e-mail and it works great.

Voice mail can be received in e-mail as well as accessed via the phone handset.

The online account management is great, easy to use and all the features are there. And there are tons of features there.

The support is mind-bendingly fast, informative and humane. The best I have ever, ever, experienced.

I have had infrequent trouble with my router that caused the VOIPo service to be unstable,... BUT it was 100% all in my router, not VOIPo.

Porting my old POTS number was messy because Verizon & MCI were pointing fingers at each other. Once I got them sorted out VOIPo porting was fast and easy.

If I had more then two thumbs they'd all be, "Way up!" for VOIPo.

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

I'm having one sided call problems with VOIPo too

I'm pretty certain my equipment isn't at fault (I've changed ISPs/routers and the problem followed). I created a support ticket, they supposedly switched networks that I'm on, but no difference.

It's so hit and miss. At least if it were consistent I'd be more easily able to get tech support to fix it. Some days I can make lots of calls without any trouble, other days I have to resort to my cell phone.
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
rnikischer

join:2002-12-28
Ottawa, IL

Having Difficulties Also

I'm really disappointed with the service. It has become unreliable. I experience the same trouble as everyone else. I have no complaints with tech support. They are responsive. I have followed their instructions for port forwarding but the intermittent problems still exist. Problems started to surface about 6 months ago. Some days I may only get 50% of the incoming calls, the rest of the time the callers - as well as on my end, will get dead air after picking up the phone when it rings. The other regular problem is calls routing to the failover number for no apparent reason. We can't all be crazy. It has to be their service. Prior to Voipo I was with Vonage and had maybe 3 service issues in 4 years. I am running out my 2 year pre-paid plan and if there is no improvement I will regrettably go elsewhere.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·Northland Cable ..
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..

Your firewall

is the problem.

I had this problem too and had to spend quite some time getting my FW and NAT rules correct. You've got to port forward most of the UDP ports directly to your adapter.

Want to really rule out your FW? Put the adapter directly on your cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes.

Once my logs were showing clean on no port blocking the one sided calling thing went away on non-in-network calls.

In-network calls were another story.

Re: Your firewall

Yep, tried all those. Different routers, port forwarding and putting the ATA after modem-before router. No difference. Plus, VOIPo have put me on different servers, updated my ATA firmware and swapped out ATAs. Still no difference.

Apart from Cox as my ISP with a SB6120 modem everything has been changed up and tried!

But tell me...
What logs are you referring to that showed no port blocking? Where was your port blocking occuring?
What is the other story about In-network calls?

TIA!
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

Sunnyvale, CA

port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

when outgoing no-ring became a problem, VOIPo support talked me through port forwarding for my 2wire router/modem. It took under 10 minutes. Now, a few weeks later, the problem is back. Also, dialing my VM gets me a busy signal [VM emails arrive, though].

power cycling the Voipo adapter usually makes things work, but not for long. My AT&T uverse internet connection seems solid when I browse the web.

I sent another email to support after hours today.

Ultimately, reliability is more important than saving $$.
AT&T uverse voice was overpriced but reliable

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

As usual a VOIPo technician responded promptly to my email and said "I have changed the command ports your adapter is using along with updating the server your adapter connects to in order to fix the busy signal issues. Please power cycle the adapter for these changes to take affect."

I power cycled and VM now works fine.

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

That's a laugh! (and I did)

The same old routine... it gets tired after a couple of years.

Hope it sticks this time!

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

It's been 3 weeks since the fix and all works well.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

The biggest problem

I biggest problem I ever had with a VOIP phone is the uplink.
1 Mbps is barely enough to support it most of the time. 2 Mbps is much better.

I firmly believe the VOIP phones work much better in large cities than it does in rural America where the Internet is not nearly as dependable.

A engineer friend in Dallas had a 3 year pre paid contract with VoipO.When it started the same problems you talk about he disconnected. Now he is using Straight Talk for home. There are some volume issue but it works.

I had Vonage. It was okay until their equipment failed 9 months into the contract. For 90 days I had a wannabe phone. It wasn't until I quit they offered to replace it. I gave them a scathing review that is now missing. .
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Re: The biggest problem

1 MBPS could be enough, but if it's not stable then, yeah there's nothing you can do. The location of these service providers servers can be critical, and can directly affect stable connection speeds. I have used VOIPo's east and central servers and never had a bandwidth or jitter problem with either.

The issues I got have always been some systemic technical glitch that got fixed, eventually.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State

Re: The biggest problem

The only time my provider cares is when I mention my Commerce Commission. Otherwise they hope I will die or blow away.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by Bink See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, unlimited calling, emailed voicemail, features, call routing, US-based support"
Bad "Generally clueless US-based support"
Overall "Great value with efforts being made to move past value brand"

I’ve been a customer for almost a year now and I can say I’m generally pleased. There were some minor hiccups during the initial install and some BYOD service consistency issues at times, but, generally, the service is good. They are also making strides to go beyond being the low cost leader and their founder goes above and beyond when it comes to online interaction. That said, I have to say the support is consistently below par. While you might get a quality support person at times—and it's great when this happens—in general, the majority of the support personnel seem lazy and nonchalant. Generally, support tickets are randomly bounced around the personnel, personnel tend not to take time to understand the history of the ticket and they don’t seem to understand their product well, and this is systemic.

So, in summary, good product, good price and hopefully your interaction with support is minimal.

member for 8.6 years, 4500 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by robharrisva See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Call Quality, VPanel interface, Response time to trouble tickets"
Bad "Inbound calls get disconnected after 60 minutes"
Overall "Good value, but disconnected calls kills it"

Been a customer since 2009. With each passing year, the service has gotten better and better. Tech Support has always been there to resolve issues (i.e. No receive audio, Echo, Noise) in a timely matter.

However, in November 2013, I suddenly started experiencing problems with inbound calls being disconnected after 60 minutes regardless of originating carrier. VOIPo tech support has now indicated that all troubleshooting efforts have been exhausted. Sadly, this means that I probably won't be a VOIPo customer much longer.

Comments:

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Good feature set, EXCELLENT customer service, just works!"
Bad "None, really. Minor: Would like service dashboard upon login."
Overall "A solid choice for primary service."

·Earthlink Cable ..
8 February 2014: Update.

Another year, little more to say. The new control panel is now available to all Voipo users, but it's still not the 'default' panel when you log in from the main website. The new panel looks better, and almost all of the options/commands you'd want to change are available alphabetically, so everything's pretty easy to find. The one suggestion for improvement would be to have a "dashboard" shown when logging in to the control panel - whether or not certain features (call forward/do not disturb) are active, number of voicemail messages, etc. Otherwise, it's a very solid choice for me and my family.

25 Jan 2013: Update.

So it's been over 3 years since my last review. I've spent less time on DSLR, and they must have given up on requesting review updates from me. The only change in my 1 - 5 ratings is an increase in their website, due to the beta control panel. Call quality has always been fine, reliability has been fine (have never noticed the line being down), and I can't complain about value for money.

Over the past 3 years, I have made a few fairly significant changes in how I connect to Voipo. As a grandfathered BYOD user, I do not have a provisioned adapter and have brought my own device. For a while, I operated an PiaF server at home, with Voipo as a primary trunk. Even adding a layer of Asterisk between my ATA and Voipo, the service is rock solid. After running my home PBX for a while, I started having reliability issues with the hardware running my PiaF, and I migrated to a cloud service. Still no problems. I can honestly say that I'd have to log in to my control panel to look at the ticket log to see if my last ticket was one or two+ years ago. That particular problem was unique to BYOD, too; they still worked with me to fix it, even though BYOD is not supported. Over the past 3+ years, the only complaints I've gotten from household members have been either (1) related to the issue described above [which would not have happened with a provisioned adapter], or (2) resolved on my end by tweaking my home network.

Count me a happy customer!

9 November 2009: Update.

I've officially been a paying customer for over a year, so I'm comfortable posting a review update with a reliability rating. While I have given them a 5, the rating does come with the caveat that I did find CallVantage to be more reliable. The difference isn't enough to justify downgrading Voipo to a 4, but CallVantage was a tough act to beat (until they decided to beat themselves into oblivion). Since CallVantage decided to shut down, I ported our primary line to Voipo, so it obviously gets a LOT more use.

Updated rating categories:

Website - 3 (no change), because the user portal is not intuitive enough for my liking. While I have no trouble getting what I need out of it, the user portal still lacks built-in user cues and help screens to make it more user-friendly.

Ease of installation - unranked, because I'm a "grandfathered BYOD user".

Call quality - 5 (no change) I've heard occasional echos, but not sufficiently bad to lower the rating.

Reliability - 5 (first rating) We have had a few RARE instances of calls not ringing through properly, but IIRC, those only occurred while we had their SimulRing feature active (still beta, but that particular problem's been resolved). The other oddball problem was that a few of my calls were sent with the incorrect CallerID number. It seems that the issue has been resolved on a case-by-case solution applied to my account, because a few other customers have experienced a similar problem. These problems are not severe enough to merit lowering the reliability rating in my book.

Tech Support - 5 (no change) top notch, polite, happy to help. Can't ask for better.

Value for money - 5 (increase) given the reliability over the past year, tech support, etc., there's no reason to not give top marks. Fair notice - as a customer who was in from the beginning, I have an extreme discount on my pricing for as long as I have my account.

6 April 2009: Initial review.

OK, so I've been a Beta user/customer since the "second" beta period opened. Overall, reliability _for me_ has been excellent--it rarely went down during the beta period, and I have only had sporadic troubles since, but I still use CallVantage as my primary line, and I don't use the Voipo line enough to give a reliability rating much weight at this time. Right now, pricing is excellent for everyone willing to pay for 1 year up front ($99/yr), and as a "Founder" I will get that price as long as I maintain the account. Since I also have been promised the ability to connect via my Asterisk system, it satisfies my 'hobbyist' interest in having an inexpensive (even though, for my use, a PAYGO provider might be even less expensive) line.

In any case, below are the details of the numeric ratings I gave.

=============================================

Website: 3 - vPanel is plain, I'd like more checkboxes, checkboxes/radio buttons instead of dropdowns for binary features, more prominent voicemail, better contact input system. The principal reason for the relatively low mark is the lack of documentation of "how-tos". Lists of star codes, voicemail code, setup configuration, etc., should exist in very-easily-found "For New Customers" web pages, etc. In addition, clear descriptions of how features work, what they are, etc., (ideally, quick-text help links near each feature) are lacking. The feature that causes the most confusion is the 'telemarketer block.'

Ease of Installation: [unranked] I participated in the beta and continue BYOD. I know what I'm doing for configuring my account, and if there's a glitch, it's usually on my end. Therefore, it's not appropriate for me to rate this aspect of their service.

Call Quality: 5 - All calls have been clear. Not much more to say there.

Reliability: [Unranked] - OK, admittedly a cop out, but I don't use the line enough to give a fair assessment. If a gun were to my head and I HAD to choose a number, I'd probably give a 3/5 due to the complaints of issues (and acknowledgement of Voipo staff/owner) with the hope (and expectation) of raising it over the next month or two.

Tech Support: 9 - Unfortunately, I can't really give them a 9, I'm limited to 5. They've always been extremely responsive and the responses are substantive, not vacant script-reading in nature. When I wanted outgoing CID Name (LIDB population for my line), I unfortunately had to change numbers, but tech support handled it quickly, professionally, and the right way the first time.

Overall Value: 4 - Sorry, I can't give a 5 rating with reliability at a 3 (even though I haven't "officially" ranked it). If the 'wrinkles' have been ironed out, this score will definitely rise.

Comments:

Review by Dew See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "I recommend Voipo"
Overall "Very good features, service and price"

I have been a Voipo customer since the summer of 2010 and have been able to hook up the small and light Voipo box and have continuous use of my same telephone number in a number of locations where I’ve stayed for weeks or months at a time. It’s simple and easy to hook it up anywhere there has been broadband internet service.

In the account settings online, you can set voice mail to come to you as an mp3 file attached to an email. This wonderful feature has enabled me to receive messages while en route from place to place by using public wifi service and checking email, playing the messages through my media player. Voipo also offers other special features such as call recording, call forwarding, call waiting, distinctive ringtone, a “do not disturb” setting, and detailed/extensive call history records, among other features.

Customer service and technical assistance has been quick, respectful, and responsive to my needs. And the price is right! I recommend this service and this company. My brother recommended Voipo to me and has been with the company even longer than I have.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

Welcome to DSLR

Hi Dew,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you will find the world of VoIP and this site as exciting as we do!
I have a question... You write:
quote:
Are you familiar with any Voice Service Provider (VSP) that doesn't offer such service? If I were Voipo Tim, I would feel a little uncomfortable for being praised for such trivial thing (imagine praising a bank for having online access to your account).

Other than that, I agree - Voipo has deservedly great reputation in VSP community
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Review by clintsb See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Love all the features for the price, good support"
Bad "Perhaps less forgiving of router configurations"
Overall "I am still very happy with my decision"

I switched to Voipo in 2009 after having been with AT&T and they basically told me to go find another company. I had been happy with AT&T so was sorry that I had to switch. After the switch I was wishing that I had switched earlier. My call quality was just as good and all the new features were awesome. I love love the cloned line and all the call routing configurations. So now after nearly 5 years I think it is time to finally give a report.

I have had issues but with perhaps just a couple exceptions have actually been on my end. I have been in the same boat as several other reviewers where the service had been great and all the sudden I had problems. Things like incoming calls the caller couldn't hear me or that the call hung up automatically after 15 minutes. It was odd because I hadn't changed anything but when I got right down to it there was a configuration problem on the router. I hadn't forwarded all the needed ports or in the case of the 15 minute dropped call issue, it was the SPI firewall. Disabled it and everything was good after that.

One of the challenges is knowing what is a good router to use. I had been using a D-LINK Gamers Lounge(Ya old) that the power adapter died on. I decided rather than getting a new adapter I would get something that had better wireless. I got an Apple Airport Extreme router. It was strange I was able to use it for about 6 months and then I started suffering with the problems that acted like a port forwarding issue. I fought it and fought it and tried working through Voipo support. They tried their best but said it wasn't on their end. Finally I gave up on it and got a Asus RT-66R. I have had it for well over a year and it has been great and all the problems went away.

The only time I can think of a problem that was on their end we were having problems calling to Canada. It was some weird issue that they had on their end but they got it resolved.

So while we have had issues we have worked through them and by and large they really were issues on our end. To anyone looking to switch to voipo I would only caution that the service is great but you should be a little bit technical so that you can properly configure your router. If you can't do that you won't be happy. It does seem like they are less forgiving of issues with the router and sometimes you can go a long time without problems and then all the sudden these configuration problems start giving you grief.

One thing about reliability. I can live with a little bit of unreliability but my wife's tolerance is zero, it has to work or she isn't happy. Thankfully she is happy and so am I.

Comments:

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to
resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_check.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)

Review by mobilelawyer See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL

I have had the service for a little over two years. The days to success number may not be correct, because I simply do not remember. I had to have an AT&T number ported, so that delayed the process a little, and may have taken slightly longer than 7 days.

I do not remember any hiccups. The only thing that has cut my service off is an internet interruption, and that would not be VOIPO's fault.

I perceive the voice quality to be excellent, and certainly equal to landline quality. Does anyone have a landline any more?

The VOIPO provided device is the Grandstream HT502. I did have to make a call to technical support, not on initial set-up, but some weeks later with a home networking issue. They were efficient, but, unfortunately, only available during business hours. That is a detriment, because you need to be at home when you are one the phone with them. There is a user forum that appears to be monitored by company reps, but you may have to wait awhile for an answer.

I also recently had an issue when I changed my ISP and had to move my cable modem and router into another room. I had some audio blanking problems when I tried to connect the Grandstream via a powerline adapter. I had to move the device back into the room where the router is located to make a direct Ethernet connection to fix the problem.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The service is seamless. You never think about it. I use a Panasonic base station that has an answering feature, and, of course, it is plugged directly into the Grandstream. The Panasonic has 4 wireless extensions. It you are going to use your existing POTS wiring to connect all your house phones, you may have some additional work, particularly if your house is older. For the average user, unless you are very patient, or are willing pay someone to properly wire the house phones, it is far easier just to connect a base station with the wireless extensions, and I suspect that is the most common set up.

Once the service is up, and your phone system is plugged into the device, the service is just like the POTS you had before in many respects-- and better. The phone rings, you answer it; you pick up your phone to make a call, hear a dial tone, and dial the number. Same as it ever was.

But let's say you had a power failure for two hours, and during that period, you had no internet. What if 5 people called you? Would you know they had called? Yes you would! If your device is offline because of a power failure, or your isp is offline, the automated VOIPO front end answers the call and allows the caller to leave a voice mail. You set up the front end initially to forward the voice mail to your email address. I look at my smartphone and note that an email has been received, and listen to the attached .wav file to hear the message, and call them back on my smartphone. I like that feature. I have two answering machines: the hardware answering machine that my Panasonic provides, and a backup answering machine that VOIPO provides if, for any reason, the system cannot connect to my Grandstream.

So, I am a satisfied user of the service. I have the same telephone number I have used for 32 years (my old landline number ported to VOIPO); the voice quality is good; The service has been very reliable; I make unlimited domestic calls; and it all costs nine dollars a month (as opposed to the $49.95 that I was paying AT&T for POTS).

The two-year cost is $199, but with taxes and fees my renewal was $216. The original sign up cost was only $149, and that is an even better deal. They periodically make that offer to existing customers for a two year renewal. I just never took advantage of it, and wound up paying the full price at renewal.

Comments:

Review by dbmaven See Profile

• Location: Highland Mills,Orange,NY
Good "Price/reliabilitiy/call quality"
Bad "Currrent: None"
Overall "I'll renew"

·Optimum Online
Decided to replace a 2nd POTS line, used for some business calls and the occasional fax, due to significant price differential versus VoIP providers.
Have a MagicJack, and while it works OK, doesn't provide the kind of service that I require for this 2nd line being that a computer needs to be on and running 24 x 7, so I went looking for an ATA device based VoIP solution. I don't have the time or inclination to mess with 'Bring your own Device' (BYOD) services, so I wanted one that would be plug and play.
VOIPo, although new and just coming out of an extended beta period, fit the bill, had good ratings by the testing team which frequents the VOIP TECH CHAT forum, and a very good price.
Setup was truly plug and play once the ATA arrived (Grandstream HT502). And it worked well.
As has been well documented in the forums, they had a series of problems with the HT502 during January/February 2009. They ended up replacing the 502 with Linksys PAP-2T devices. That led to a separate set of issues - not VOIPo's problem - that can be reviewed in my post here: »[VoIPo] If you have a Linksys router...

Since that time, I've had zero problems, 100% reliability and could not be happier with the service.

You can get better 'value for the money' if you're a tweaker/geek and do BYOD with another service provider, which is why I rated that attribute a "4". If you're a plug-and-play/I just want it to work type person, it's really a "5" at this time.

Update 26-Oct-2010
It just works.

Call clarity is better than anything else I've got - cell or POTS.
Zero issues in what seems like forever.

Update 12-Aug-2013
Can't believe it's been this long since I updated this review - but that's a testament to a service that has just worked for me, whenever needed it's there. I've got it set up on Zoiper (iPhone 5), the built in Internet Calling on my Galaxy Nexus, and on laptop with X-Lite. The PAP2T ATA just keeps humming along.
It's not the cheapest, it's not the most feature laden, but it's perfect for my needs - and has been "perfect".

member for 15.1 years, 8040 visits, last login: a few hours ago