VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Call quality, Communication, customer service"
Bad "Nothing serious, but website could be more user friendly with more knowledge base"
Overall "Best choice for the price"

UPDATE 03/14/2013
It is been over two months with VOIPo and the service is working as good as from day one. Now that I made VOIPo as my primary line with two other numbers being forwarded to it. No complaints whatsoever and everything working fine as it should be. Enjoying the simple and effective features.

UPDATE 01/26/2013
Since I had the best customer service experience with VOIPo Team this time I decided to activate another number with them. They were extremely helpful to pull out an inactive number that belonged to me once from their carrier database.

I now have three VOIP services at home/home office and I can compare them side to side. Features/quality/cost wise VOIPo is number one at this time. Second goes to PP.

UPDATE 01/12/2013:
My bad luck, I encountered a extreme difficulty to use the service on my second attempt as a result of carrier issues (I believe). Support was quite helpful, and TIm, CEO of VOIPo was extremely helpful. However, certain issues could not be resolved and I believe it was an isolated issue with my phone number. Therefore, I have decided to take my number to another provider.

With the level of help and support received from VOIPo team, I will definitely recommend VOIPo and hope things will work out for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review: January 2012

Alright, to begin with I should clarify the monthly fee of $16+ I came up with. This was figured out after comparing exactly what I am paying for the similar features to another provider.

Break up:
Two year pre-pay including tax and fees for 24 months: $165.00 = $6.87/mo
International package for 12 months: $75 = $6.25/mo
Virtual fax number for 12 months: $36 = $3/mo

Total: 16.12/mo

I am paying $19 for all those service with PhonePower with another number ported out from MJ. All services/quality is pretty much identical except VOIPO does not provide outbound caller ID, huh?

I as porting a number from magicjack to VOIPO just for the reason that MJ does not have outbound Caller ID and their service fee was little less than PhonePower.
After activating the service with VOIPO I found it is the same case with them.

I found this problem first day itself and cancelled the service and magicjack took care the rest and saved my number.

May be its me, I should have done bit more digging before I signed up with VOIPO rather than trying to save couple of bucks a month.

Now towards the good part:
- Very good customer service, tickets are responded very quickly.
- Service activated instantly with a temporary number until porting is under process
- option to send fax via online (still under beta and do not know how much they will charge once out of beta)
-quick shipping

Bottom line: I could not find anything better than my other VOIP provider and could not fulfill my requirement. Your personal experience may be different. For me its big NO without outbound Caller ID as it is very important for me.

Comments:

treichhart

join:2006-12-12

outgoing does cost.

as a reseller of voipo you have to understand it cost 1-2 dollars per outgoing caller id name.

said by treichhart:

I don't know what you exactly mean. If you mean $1-2 per call, then no phone companies would survive. If you mean average monthly cost, who cares? charge it from the customer or at least make it optional as those who need it will pay for it and use it.

If you mean you are a re-seller for voipo, good luck!

I hear ya!!

I had to cancel and go back to optimum. Optimum started acting up with there billing and I left them for the FIOS triple play. I need to write a review for them. Customer service SUCKS though.

said by NYC Girl:

Before I moved from NJ I had FIOS and it is really nice service. Once installed and running, there should not be any problem. I never called Verizon in nearly 3 years of FIOS for connectivity issues other than couple of times their gateway failed (hardware issue).

I really miss verizon FIOS here in Cali.

Though I never used their VOIP service, I cannot comment about the quality. I had only TV and Internet.

I will recommend PhonePower for VOIP service. They are not dirt cheap as magickjack or voipo, but cheaper than the triple play package offered by ISPs, vonage, etc.

said by NYC Girl:

I really miss verizon FIOS here in Cali.

The Indy phone cos don't seem to work for me. I guess you get what you pay for. Too much trouble having to switch back and too much trouble dealing with customer service. If its not one thing it is another.

FIOS good so far. They always want to gauge you with billing. Always errors in their favor of course. Still working out the kinks.

Re: I hear ya!!

Yeah, you are almost right, you get what you pay for. But with those bundles you don't get what you pay for. That's the only difference.

said by jacobslive:

But for me I had so many issues with Voipo that I don't have with optimum voice or FIOS digital voice!!! Not worth all the tinkering and time and $$$ lost with poor service.

I hear ya!

I had voipo for less than a hour, I put back the ATA and send back to them.

As far as phonepower goes, I was with them for 2 years and after a break back to them. Once the service established I never had issues.

I guess the bottom line is that you should be satisfied regardless who is your service provider is

I hear ya!

I had voipo for less than a hour, I put back the ATA and send back to them.

Yes, because its always going to be SOMETHING! Too funny!!! What happened?? I had my service for approximately a month!!

treichhart

join:2006-12-12
Well I have vonage and my caller id doesnt work either so I dont know what your complaining about. My number was from ATT cell phone. It does cost to send out that callerid name out and tim CEO of voipo said it would cost 2 much for them to do that but if you want that that means you would have to pay more then what your paying for now from voipo. Are you paying 8 dollars a month if you want that caller id outgoing you be paying 10 dollars month instead of 8 dollars of month.

said by treichhart:

Well, if you have a vonage and your outgoing caller id does not work you are past due to call vonage. I have friends and family using vonage and whenever they call me their name is displayed along with their number on my phone. I have not stored any number in my phone's directory so don't think that the name is being picked up from my phone directory. (I am talking about cordless phone with landline, not cell phone).

Yes, I understand what you saying about paying couple of bucks a month extra for that feature and I would not mid it, but they said they DO NOT support that feature, so I had no choice but to say goodbye to them.

I have a home based business and I do not want people to ignore me when they see unknown/anonymous caller on their caller id. I have seen many people do not answer calls when they do not know who is calling. Personally I wont pickup a call that says anonymous or unknown even if it display just phone number unless I remember that number and the person it belongs to.

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking
Don't wish to disclose your information on a particular call? Not a problem. Simply dialing *67 before calling automatically blocks your outgoing Caller ID.

The second one is kinda vague, but they do say "Caller ID", "your information" and "outgoing Caller ID", not "Calling Number" which leads one to believe that they'll get what we all know as Caller ID. Until this thread it never really dawned on me that, as many times as I thought I might need the blocking feature, my Outgoing Caller ID was not real Caller ID . . .

said by FarmerBob:

Directly from the VOIPo.com "All VOIPo Features At A Glance" page:

and

*67 Outbound Caller ID Blocking

I think you are misunderstood the fact. You saw the feature at voipo.com is for incoming caller ID. I was concerned about the outbound caller ID.

This is what voipo customer care replied to my support ticket.

Some carriers may try to show the area the number is registered to.
In such cases, your number will likely show the city or state that the number is from.
"

Re: outgoing does cost.

I fully understand way more than you know. I grew up in corporate advertising and rebranding. Did a rebranding of a divestiing baby bell in the late 80's.

All accounts include fully functional Caller ID with both name and number.

There is really nothing being said about which direction. The ambiguity of this tells me standard outgoing POTS style CID. If this is not true, the copy on the website needs to be changed to accurately represent what is actually meant.

Can't wait to see the long awaited "Users Manual". It'll probably read like stereo instructions in some obscure Bisayan dialect.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT

Re: outgoing does cost.

It really does seem that they provide Caller ID, inbound and outbound, with the way it is worded. My understanding was that if you ported in a number that already had caller ID it would show up on outbound calls.
delius

join:2006-07-30
Dorchester, ON

Re: outgoing does cost.

who pays those prices nowadays
try // voip.ms
said by ptrowski:

They do provide caller ID, but no caller ID name. For example if a person called "Bob Builder" call you from 123-456-7890 your caller ID will show

BUILDER BOB
123-456-7890

But with Magicjack and Voipo, it will show in few other ways, such as:

UNKNOWN CALLER

ANONYMOUS

in in very rare case STATE NAME or AREA NAME
etc.

It depends on the service provider for the receiving party. But no name is transmitted by voipo.
Expand your moderator at work
nitzan
join:2008-02-27

said by treichhart:

Either you misunderstood him, or he's referring to something else. Setting outgoing CID Name with a carrier only costs a buck or so ONE TIME - not monthly. The problem is that most carriers who supply phone numbers to VOIP providers do not support outgoing CID or are so bad at supporting it, it's almost unusable.

Eventually more of them will support it though - it's just a matter of time.

·ViaTalk
I have a trouble ticket and several conversations so far on VM eMail labeling and up until 9-1-10 (since 10/3/08ish) and possibly shortly after, my VM eMails had proper and full CID, if not CCID on them. Sometime after that date, there's a gap between then and 2-23-11 when I show them saved again, I started getting the phone number in there twice and no CID/CCID. So it did have CID/CCID in there at one time on eMails and I remember having it going out in the "early days". I know this from no complaints of people not answering because they don't know who's calling, as I get now.

I show many eMails when I was with ViaTalk that have extended CID on them. So . . .

·ViaTalk
Just got a reply to my trouble ticket from VOIPo saying they found the issue and are dealing with it, and please give them 24 hours. I don't know which of the two: eMail CID labeling or Outgoing CID. But something's getting fixed. Hopefully, one will trickle into the other and both will get done.

Outgoing CID Settings

I found this when I had to go in and turn down the outgoing volume. The Grandstream they sent me is so dynamically different than the PAP2T. Most of my issues are gone now. I always knew it was the crappy Linksys gear.

So there is a place to tell it how to handle OGCID. No misunderstanding here.

Re: outgoing does cost.

This will send your Number as caller ID not your name. When I called from VOIPO "California" and my number was displayed at the receivers end, not my "Name" and number.

If your called party can see your name along with your number, then thats a different case. In that case VOIPO gave me wrong information. When I contacted VOIPO they confirmed that they do not transmit caller name, which I found is true in my case.

Re: outgoing does cost.

Got the same confirmation yesterday off a direct trouble ticket that was explained much more than normal. And was told also that they depend on the end provider to supply the rest, name/etc, if they will/can/or do.

said by FarmerBob:

Good for you if it works!

I was told that VOIPO will not transmit name but depends on receivers service provider it will show State/Area/Anonymous/Number etc. but not NAME.

Here is the service ticket they responded:

said by jacobslive:

Good for you if it works!

Here is the service ticket they responded:

VOIPo Support"

But it doesn't work. This was the last reply I got:

"Your outbound CallerID settings are available under Beta > Misc.
You will be presented with a drop-down including all the numbers on your account.
You may select whichever number will be sent.

There is an option to mask the CallerID and simply present 'Private', or you may nominate to send nothing at all, which will show 'Unknown'.
These two options are available under the Features tab.

As was previously stated, we only send the number on outbound IDs.
Many carriers will show any name information if they have it on file (many do not).
Most carriers will show where the number is registered to, usually just City or State information.

·ViaTalk
I have seen a lot of these issues with the Telco's themselves for many years. So this is not an isolated issue. I just think that here it is a more sterile aspect and we have noticed sooner and more dynamically. AND with increased abuse and no support, the "Do not call list" is a joke, people that are being called are being more proactive. And there lies the rub.

The interaction of Telco's, Celco's have always been haphazard at best. And now add the VoIP's, where many of the Telco's who control this feature, for the most part, don't like sharing their ball as was the initial problem between Telco's and Celco's. And here we have the problem. Here, if at all, the fee comes into play for two reasons: an excuse why not to provide the service completely; or in this day and age of "money saving", a reason not to spend. Either way, we lose.

What ever happened to the good ol' days of industry inter-cooperation. Oh wait!! There never was any!!! Unless the Telco owned it.

problems with underlying carrier

Just don't say that on Voipo forum - or you would be slaughtered! A few sycophants form a tag team and don't accept any Voipo reason for a problem. It must be router, ISP, your stupidity - or Force majeure incompatibility!

Like any sycophants, they don't do Voipo any favor.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

said by ymhee_bcex:

This is a common practice with all service providers. It is always your fault, they are always perfect! lol

With VOIPo, at least I am getting a phone call/adequate response from customer service.

I totally understand your point though. I have seen certain responses on their forum which explains your opinion.

With my another service provider PhonePower, they do not even respond to emails unless until you start picking them up on their public forum or here at DSLR. Once they started up acquiring other VoIP providers such as voip.com, broadvoice they think customers has no more options but to listen to or take their BS. Interestingly they brought down the new signup price to 4.99 a month now desperate for new customers it seems.

Re: problems with underlying carrier

PhonePower forum has one sycophant - but he is more outlandish than the whole Voipo fan club combined.

I never tried to email PhonePower, but phone calls get answered quickly and professionally. My PhonePower account is used in doctor's office; so if they have problems - those need to be resolved right away. I also like that when receptionist called support, they were able to resolve an issue without my involvement. That said, I think their pricing is very deceptive - actual cost is about twice what is shown in big letters of the front page. Where do you see $4.99?

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where do you see $4.99?

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

to get 4.99 price you need to go to whichvoip.com and click on the link provided for phonepower.

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, eveybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

As far as service concerned I never had to call them once the ATA is connected and running. Problems are with their website, their add on services such as soft phone, iPhone App, caller ID etc.

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

Heh, I saw he picked up a fight with you as well

said by jacobslive:

Thank you, I didn't know about this site!

said by jacobslive:

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, everybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

Even voipo! What, voipo is now a gold standard for transparency? Well, unlike PhonePower, Voipo doesn't bill you $50 for the second year. What you pay upfront is indeed total cost for 2 years.

$8.33 per month that is in big digits on PP's front page actually turns into $13 after fees (60% on top what's advertised). On the other hand, $14.99/mo that is quoted on VoicePulse's front page turns into $15.89 after 6% sales tax. Funny, that PhonePower is still a better deal than VoicePulse (especially with two lines, softphone and SIP credentials) - but it certainly looks very deceptive!

And my understanding is that $75/year that Future Nine is showing on their front page actually means $75... I am itching for an excuse to sign up with them

Re: problems with underlying carrier

Ha, yeah we pick on each other some times, still we are good buddies.

You are welcome!

Yeah I forgot about the second year charge PP has as tax/service fee. Anyways, I don't think I will ever go back to them even if they bring the price down to 1.99/month. There is no customer service, broken applications, broken Caller ID database. I don't feel any itch whatsoever now Matter of fact, I pulled out my second PP adapter and routed the call to VOIPo number and opened a brand new account with VOIPo instead of that I knew PP has 5/mo plan available. Screw them for now!

wulf

@mccc.edu

Terrible service

Took forever to port and then they denied my free month of service.

Stay away!!!!!!!

Review by format See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Value for the money, easy to connect, and really cool features."
Bad "For me the service was just not reliable enough. Also no real effort to save a customer that had been with them for years."
Overall "I really used to like VOIPo. Still beats the heck out of AT&T."

I had VOIPo since December 2008. I started out very happy with the service. I had it up and running the day after I placed my order by using a free software phone (X-Lite) and the information VOIPo provided me with. My Analog telephone adapter arrived in about 5 days (they ship USPS).

Compared to the AT&T pots line I had before I have a lot more features at a fraction of the price. When it works there is no real difference in audio quality between the pots line and the VOIPo line. VOIPo offers a huge selection of features.

Their support and staff are polite and quick to respond and I have even received a support response from the CEO at 1 AM CST on the weekend. Tim (the CEO) is dedicated to making VOIPo a top notch company.

I would recommend VOIPo to anyone who wants more for their money vs a major telco or to save some money. They offer a "30 Day Guarantee".

Update 2-3-13.

This is will be my final review of VOIPo.

I had VOIPo for 4 years. Had a lot of tech issues the first year. I continued to be plagued by intermittent service issues throughout the time I had the service. We were using VOIPo as our primary phone line and so many times I would try to call home in the morning from work and the call would not go threw. They of course would always fix it but due to it occurring so much much I was forced to switch to another phone provider for reliability. Frankly I was tired of contacting support to have things fixed. My wife was tired of messing with it. I hung on to VOIPo hoping eventually it would improve and I could switch back to using them as my primary line. The last year I had the service we barley used it. When I got the bill for almost $200.00 for the next year January 2013 I decided to part with the service because I just could not justify paying that any longer.

Disconnecting the service was not too difficult. I emailed support who sent me to a url to request disconnect. When you are disconnecting it really feels they are not interested in saving you as a customer instead they just want to make sure they get their phone adapter back. It tells you must return it on the disconnect page and they sent a few emails reminding me to send it back (and threatening to send it to collections if you dont).

One small issue with disconnecting was a credit I had on my account for literally years. Due to initial issues with their Grandstream adapter they had to send me a replacement Linksys adapter. They sent me the new one and I had to send them the Grandstream adapter back. They agreed to credit me the cost of the return postage. They did apply the credit for almost 5.00 but when my billing came out again they neglected to subtract that credit balance from the amount I owed so the credit remained there. When I disconnected I was initially told

Unfortunately credits do not have cash value. Please see the section labeled "Cancellations" in the Terms of Service here: »www.voipo.com/tos.php

I sent him a prompt reply explaining why I dispute this and he did not reply back. Then I sent another email the next day letting them know I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and I received a reply stating the following

Please disregard the previous correspondence within this case. The request has been approved appropriately and I'm moving your ticket to your billing department to ensure the credit amount is refunded accordingly.

So hopefully that issue is resolved.

Some thoughts for VOIPo.

1. When a customer is disconnecting would be a great opportunity to save them as a customer. You really should try something.

2. Threatening to send a 50.00 charge to collections a week after someone disconnects does not make someone want to recommend you or ever do business with you again.

3. While i understand it is rare that a customer would be entitled to a credit based on terms of service you should still take a moment and read why they are asking for a refund and if justified not give them a hard time about it. I was clearly justified in my request for a refund and I really did not appreciate the robotic response I got from the first csr.

Farewell VOIPo and good luck!

member for 13.7 years, 513 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Tahir

@telus.net

viopo service

Great review. Thanks.

Review by Parneli See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Cost, Quality, Uptime, Support"
Overall "Rock solid low cost voip"

Update Jan 2013: Been with Voipo a few years now and there isn't much to say. It's never stopped working (unless my internet is down), and kinda like the old bell system I just don't give it a thought.

Back during the election when everyone was getting a dozen solicitations a night, I got maybe two during the whole thing. And I then blocked both of them using the Voipo website where you have a choice to send to voicemail, send a busy signal, send a disconnect signal etc. So if either of those numbers did ever try to call me again I didn't have to listen to the phone ring.

Highly recommended.

Update Aug 2011: Happy enough with the service to have renewed the contract during a promotion and now I'm about 1 year into a 4 year contract.

Also they changed some back-end stuff with faxing from their webpage, and I fax about 1 acrobat or word document a week and never have any problem.

*********

6 months into a 2yr contract having switched after 5 years with Vonage. Had a bit of downtime at the beginning but it turned out to be a hardware failure that they can't be blamed for.

Vonage was fine and all, but the bill had worked its' way up to $30+ a month and when I signed a two year prepay with Voipo, it comes down to $9/mo. And that's not a typo.

The service hasn't been down at all that I've seen in the 6 months, when I had the above issue they were quick to remedy it and send out a replacement adapter.

The only thing I ever see people mention negative about Voipo is the website is a bit unintuitive. Considering how rarely I use it, it's almost a non-issue- and they're apparently working on a redesign.

Comments:

Review by dsl14350 See Profile

• Location: Holland,Ottawa,MI
Good "Price, customer service, website."
Bad "Sometimes an echo can be heard by wife."
Overall "Very good service for a good price."

UPDATE 12-31-12: Things with Voipo are running very good since my last review. Wife nor I have heard any echos of late and phone always works.

We have had Voipo for about 2 months now, over all we are happy with the service.
Had issues in the very beginning with calls not going through and/or receiving party not able to hear calling party.Called customer service and a very helpful person remotely went into our router and changed some port settings and calls work perfect since.
My wife hears an echo with one or two numbers shes calls, but it good for the majority of her calls. I should open a ticket w/Voipo for those numbers, but well, you know.
Website. Voipo takes the most heat for their website design, but it works for me.
It does what I need, I can find what I need, easy enough to make changes.
I considered NetTalk before Voipo, mainly because of price, but they weren't porting numbers yet and had be promising porting for a long time.
Overall, I'm very happy with Voipo service.

member for 9.2 years, 2730 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by keeska See Profile

• Location: Sedona,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Reliable, good tech support"
Bad "Slightly more expensive then other providers"

·Suddenlink
We have tried a couple of VOIP providers and settled on VOIPo. We had a couple of problems when we first signed up with them a couple of years ago. Tech support was excellent, solving both problems withing a few hours. Since then the service has been very reliable with good call quality.

Comments:

Review by garuda See Profile

• Location: Niles,Cook,IL
Good "Good communication, easy installation and good value"
Bad "No visual voice mail, no remote admin app"
Overall "Rich features and good value"

Initially, I was not sure that VOIPo would work out for me. I had bad experience with Phone Power for 4 years and finally took a plunge after reading all pro and con reviews of VOIPo. Probably the biggest reason is seeing several posts from the owner responded to unfavorable reviews. Personally, that says a lot about the commitments to his company, products and customers. During the search, I found several voip companies do not have addresses or contact phone numbers! Those companies only communicate through email.

My VOIPo experience has been very good. From the start, they responded to my pre-sales question about the plan switching. Web order is simple and straight forward. Transfer phone number took about 2 weeks. Through out the process, VOIPo updated me on FOC date. Meanwhile, I asked them few questions regarding the web setups and other questions. All were answered, may not what I wanted to hear, but they responded.
Finally, on 12/10/12, the phone number is transferred and everything is working. Very happy now and hope that this continues.

Now the goods and the bads
Goods:
1) The support team responses in timely manner. Note that all my supports are via email. Have not call in for live support, yet. The best part is that you see all support cases and response threads on the web, even on the pre-sales question. This makes it easy for me to track which issues are open.
2) The adapter is Grandstream 702. Extremely easy to set up. Just plug it in to my router. The surprise for me was that I didn't have to mess around with port forwarding. Comparing to PhonePower 4 years ago, it was very nice experience. With PhonePower, they wanted the adapter in front of the firewall. I had to reboot the PhonePower adapter many times.
3) SMS alert works without any problem.
4) Softphone works, however, VOIPo does not have app for softphone. I use 3CX (free) and works nice with my Android phone.
5)The telemarketer call blocking is quite good. Have not gotten junk call, yet.
6) The forums is quite active and has good information there.

Bads:
1) No visual voice mail. With PhonePower, it is very nice to click and hear the voice mail right away instead of downloading the wave file.
2) No remote admin app. There are several times, I want to check the call logs. Without the app, the only option is to go to web and is quite difficult to do on a cell phone.
3) Cannot sort the contacts. This one surprises me. VOIPo provides ways to group contacts into different categories. However, you cannot sort them!
4) Not support house wiring. However, it works on my house.
5) Call quality is good on the receiving end. However, I kept hearing my own voice, very faint but audible (a little echo), don't know if it has anything to do with house wiring.

I hope that the experience will continue and VOIPo will improve the web interface and remote admin app soon.

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

In-house Wiring

Regarding your cons, I wouldn’t expect any VoIP company to support in-house wiring.

Review by RB480Ruger See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "Plug & Play, Very Good Quality, Great Great Price"
Bad "Need to add Help/info screens to VPanel"
Overall "100% Thumbs Up!"

I've only had service for 3 days, so it's too soon for a really conclusive review (my 'numbers' ratings reflect short term experience) but to date VOIPo has been absolutely great!

I have previous experience with SunRocket (2+years), Teleblend (only until I found an alternative), Future-Niee (short term try out) and Net2Phone (since Sunrocker crashed)...VOIPo was first that was truely plug and play.

Unpacked the RT31P2, added a DHCP reservation for it, plugged it in behind my home router...two minutes later was able to make a call! So far, I have to rate overall call quality better then my N2P lines.

I'll update this review after my secondary number is ported from N2P (scheduled to happen on 9/22) and I've had some time to use the service more extensively.

The Future-Nine PAYG (especially if you have an ATA) is a great value but VOIPo is a better value for my needs.

Update 09/23/2009:
My number was successfully ported from N2P to VOIPo as scheduled.

Update 11/18/2009:
No problems! Adding a second line to my VOIPo service and porting my main number.

Update: 11/21/2009:
Unpacked the RT31P2 for the second line...connected behind my home router...again "plug & play"...can make calls and recieve calls on the out of state virtual number. Have not yet received the porting date for my primary number.

Update: 12/13/2009:
My second number was ported on the scheduled date without any issues.

Update: 02/20/2010:
I missed the fact that my virtual number was initally setup as a temporary number..the confirmation email did state it was temporary but I missed that sentence. VOIPo dropped the number (without warning) while cleaning up temporary numbers that where still active. I have to commend and recommend the VOIPo customer service staff for the attention they paid to getting my virtual number into service correctly as a permanent number!! Thank you.

VPanel still needs help screens...which is why I've still rated it a 3.

Update 11/16/2012
I continue to be a happy camper with my VOIPo service. My original ATA died a week ago. Call support on Wednesday, the replacement ATA arrive on Saturday...plug and play.

Comments:

Review by gnvdude See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Vonage to VOIPO move - excellent experience"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent experience so far with excellent costs"

Transfer from Vonage to VOIPO experience

Vonage to VOIP Switch Experience

Thought I'd post the experience I've had with voipo over the last 4 weeks.

Just like many I was working to reduce my family budget monthly costs. Since I was off my AT&T cell contract in July I switched my iphone from the AT&T plan at $130 per mon. to StraightTalk @ $45 per month. Bonus.

Somehow I came across VOIPO, noticed the 2 year special pricing deal they had, so I decided to take the leap. I have been with Vonage for 6+ years, even had locked in pricing for the unlimited plan @ $10 per month. But VOIPO costs would take me down to $5 per month. In the beginning with Vonage I had calls I couldn't make to certain numbers and other minor issues I needed to open a vonage support ticket for and report. Over time and many tickets the call routes for my device (Cisco Linksys PAP2) got worked out.

So I expected to have the same start-up issues with VOIPO.

I filled out the online VOIPO porting form, which opened a support ticket. The next day I got a reply back saying Vonage did not have my phone number registered under my home address but instead their address, and did I have my permission to resubmit the port request. I answered yes, and the process went through and started.

After the port was completed, I started to dial the numbers same area code and different that under vonage I originally had trouble dialing (network busy message, fast busy signal, etc). The calls went through from VOIPO without issue. I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected to encounter the same dial out issues I had with vonage with voipo. So far 4 weeks later that hasn't happened.

Inbound calls have been fine. I signed up with VOIPO to get the advanced call routing features Vonage doesn't offer. The only thing I miss from Vonage is the voice to text feature that would email me a translation of the call. But since I still get the voice message audio emailed to me I can live with that.

Call Quality seems to be better under VOIPO with the stream adapter. Vonage sounded more compressed, VOIPO sounds more crisp.

Of course I've only been a VOIPO customer for 4 weeks now. But so far their support department has been very responsive, and inbound and outbound calls working just fine.

I do expect occasional typical VOIP issues that go with this technology like QoS router warble settings issues, and the occasional need to reboot my device. I do understand it's VOIP and that these issues are to be expected from time to time. If you want perfect service you either have to go traditional land line or use your cell phone. But for $5 per month I can't beat it.

Looking forward to implementing some call routes to reduce the telemarketer calls and route numbers straight for voicemail I don't want calling us.

I read many a forum post on other peoples vonage to voipo experience, before I ported my number (tested voipo for 2 weeks). All I can say is my experience has been pretty close to perfect.

I'm waiting to see how voipo behaves over the next few months. If I have issues you can trust I will open a trouble ticket. Given my current support experience and the posts I've seen from the CEO guy I expect voipo to address my issues to my satisfaction.

All in all it's been a great transition. So far I'm glad I made the switch. Stay tuned I'll update in another 6 months.

Comments:

Review by burris See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Solid-clear quality"
Overall "Never had it so good. Reliable...excellent quality talk & and listen."

Thanks, DSLRerports for the reminder.

I forget that I'm even on VOIP as the service is so solid and the audio is so clear, I take for granted just how great the service is.
When I think back of the really lousy VOIP service with other providers in years past, I do appreciate what a great company and service Tim has built..

5/9/2011

Just got another reminder from DSLReports to consider updating my review..

Not much to say as nothing has changed.
Service is still top of the line and I don't have a single complaint

Tim certainly knows how to run his company..

11/4/2010

Since I received a reminder from DSLRreports to consider updating my review, i shall do so..

It should be obvious that I am thoroughly pleased with the service. In my opinion, it rivals POTS in terms of quality and blows it away in terms of price..
My cost remains the same as I am grandfathered in from the founders era.

The few times I have asked for support, well after the beta days, the response has been superb.
One must always realize that we are utilizing the internet, and therefore are subject to all the feckless issues that arise. Certainly can't blame the VOIP provider for that.
That the service pleases my wife is the acid test.

01/09/2010

I see that almost a year has elapsed since my last review.

Not sure what I can add to comment the exemplary service I already have. Tim knows how to run a company and provides first class customer support. Sure, a glitch occurs once in a while, but hey, this is the internet.
I'm extremely comfortable with the service since inception and it must be working well for me as I have no land line.

4-4-09

I just realized that I haven't updated my review for quite a while.

Only change was to update the ATAs from GS502 to Linksys PAP2T. I think this was a great idea. Far more solid connectivity.
I'm still in love with the service as its quality is excellent. Actually getting better in many respects.

Support is by far some of the best anywhere.
No problems for me.

================================================================

I have been on their beta for quite a while and the service has been excellent.
I, as well as a number of others are patiently waiting for the launch.
I think that this will be the VOIP service that sets the standard.

I have been on VOIP for about 3 years and this new company has been an exciting experience.

I will update my review after the launch..

================

Since the launch is happening, I can only hope for all the new users, the same quality of service and support I have experienced during the beta.

The attitudes of the support personnel is not to be believed in this day and age.
They not only respond quickly, but respond with meaningful information and have no problem answering any questions.

I can only hope it remains as it has been, and I'm sure it will..

Many thanks to the entire crew at VOIPo...It has been and I'm sure it will remain a wonderful experience in the world of VOIP....

===========

Nov 4 2008.....Time for an update..

Still going strong...in fact the service is so stable and the quality is so good(just ask my wife), that I recently ordered a second line.

The few minor questions or issues that crop up from time to time, are answered via a ticket almost before you can get back to your e-mail screen.

I had no idea I would ever be able to virtually sit back and spend my time fooling with my 5 PCs, rather than having a full time job programming and tweaking my ATA and looking for servers around the country that might work.

I hope and do think that this is the real benchmark for VOIP services.

Thanks again Tim and your entire staff..

burris

December 27 2008

I IMAGINE IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE..

Since the last review, the special price came up..

In addition, VOIPo turned up a cloned line feature that gives you two functioning in and out lines using the same primary number. What a treat..

In terms of quality, what can I say. I get a dial tone every time-the calls on both ends are loud and clear---and most important, I haven't heard a negative utterance from my wife since signing on with VOIPo.

Keep up the good work, Tim..

member for 14 years, 5947 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good call quality, quick install, knowledgeable support"
Bad "24-month contract, website can be confusing"
Overall "So far so good"

Update October 23, 2012.

===================

Apparently, voice quality problem cannot be resolved. Well, it looks like I will have to move this one problematic account. Tier II tech was noticeably embarrassed: "Yes, I can see that other Voipo phone number rings your adapter without any problems, and yes I can see that 5 other VSPs work fine with your router; but I was told by my superiors to tell you that it is your bandwidth - and the fact that another Voipo number works fine is just a fluke. No, I am not saying that it makes sense, but that's what I was told to tell you".

For now, I forwarded Voipo number to Google Voice and plugged the phone into Obi. Everything works fine. We need to decide whether switch phone number completely and use Google Voice; go through the pain of porting the number through Sprint pre-paid to Google Voice; or switch to some other provider like Future Nine. But at least my parents are happy with the voice quality - which is more than they can say about Voipo.

Update September 7, 2012. Voice quality problems continue; and the support is surprisingly bad from both technical and organizational perspective. The ticket gets passed from one tech to another without any notes, so the next one starts with the same script that it is probably a router or ISP, or Southern California heat. Then it gets escalated to level 2; and level 2 person turns out to be looking at the wrong account and gives a bunch of advice that doesn't apply. I first thought that he is an idiot - but then it was simply he was looking at the wrong account.

Update July 4, 2012: Voice quality is occasionally unacceptable. Then it seems to be working fine again. A good overview of people having problems (including me) is here: »forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/···n-issues. Tech support is knowledgeable, but their only troubleshooting tool seem to be ping. I was going to switch another line to Voipo, but now I think I will try CallCentric instead.

Update December 20, 2011: I got number ported in 10 days. As soon as I emailed them authorization letter, they created a ticket, and sent me periodical status updates. Specifically, they informed me in a day or two about the expected transfer day, and it happened right when they said.

VOIPo indeed resets adapter user password every time it reboots. When I contacted support about it, I encountered the first clueless tech (first three or four were top-notch). The problem wasn't that he wasn't knowledgeable; the problem is that he wasn't willing to accept that he doesn't know the answer and was trying to BS his way out of the situation. Finally, he contacted level 2, and they set the password to something that I specified. OK - but PhonePower somehow figured out the way to not touch user password on the same Grandstream model.

It's nice that both VOIPo and Phone Power include 60 minutes of international calls. However, regular international rates are notably higher than, say, Call With Us or VoipDiscount.

Now, please - do something about this freaking website of yours. If you don't have budget for it, at least set up a customer forum - you will get a lot of ideas "for free".

---------------------------------------

December 9, 2011. I switched one of my three accounts from VoicePulse to VOIPo, and I've had Phone Power for several months. So, I will compare these as much as I can.

I've had VOIPo service for less than a week; so I put quality and reliability to "best" (no complaints so far), but may come later and change if the problems arise.

Ordering / delivery / installation was completely seamless. I got adapter the next day (well, I live within driving distance from their Irvine office, but it's still nice surprise). The adapter is obviously used - but so is the DVR from the cable company, not a big deal. It got initialized in 10 minutes (as instructions say), and it works - what else do you need!

Voice quality is quite good. I made both domestic and international calls (haven't tried incoming calls yet, since old number still rings on the old phone, and nobody knows my new temporary number).

I absolutely love "cloned line". Essentially, you have two phones for the price of one. Both Phone Power and VOIPo have it; and VoicePulse doesn't. VOIPo has "Scheduling" feature. My PhonePower line needs it, but PP doesn't have it. On the other hand, phone power has incoming fax support. VOIPo has it only as an add-on feature for $36/yr.

It's very easy to get SIP credentials (Phone Power requires to open a ticket, but they included a "MagicJack-like" USB phone, so I never got a chance to do it). VOIPo accomplishes the same in one click; so I already successfully set up my PIAF pbx to dial through them.

Price-wise, VOIPo is the cheapest ($185 for 2 year contract) without any compromise on functionality. PP is $260 for two years (would be more if I ordered the adapter from them).

The biggest annoyance is VOIPo website. For starters, feature pages have CSS of "-moz-user-select=none". In other words, you can't cut and paste from the page. Don't know what they tried to accomplish (it's not that difficult to remove this style in Firefox), but the only thing they *did* accomplish was customer dissatisfaction.

Control panel is terrible. Some options don't work (for example, SMS control is advertised, but doesn't work); others lack any explanation ("speed dial" which is called "outbound routing" is very non-intuitive to set up).

One other odd thing. It looks like user password on the Grandstream adapter cannot be changed. When I change it, the adapter says that it requires reboot - but when I reboot, the password gets reset to the default ("123"). I wanted to be able to look at the adapter from the office, but obviously, I am not going to open firewall port if I can't change the password.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

Info

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw this.

Could you PM or e-mail your ticket numbers for the 10/23 update to tim @ voipo.com so I can take a look.

The response you got from our support sounds odd and I'd like to look into it and see if we can't get it resolved for you.

If one of your numbers works well and the other doesn't, something seems wrong there.

Please send me info so I can take a look and see what we can do about this. I'm not 100% sure that response from support is accurate without looking into it.

Thanks!