VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

Comments:

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

member for 12.8 years, 2730 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to
resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_c ··· heck.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)

Review by mobilelawyer See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL

I have had the service for a little over two years. The days to success number may not be correct, because I simply do not remember. I had to have an AT&T number ported, so that delayed the process a little, and may have taken slightly longer than 7 days.

I do not remember any hiccups. The only thing that has cut my service off is an internet interruption, and that would not be VOIPO's fault.

I perceive the voice quality to be excellent, and certainly equal to landline quality. Does anyone have a landline any more?

The VOIPO provided device is the Grandstream HT502. I did have to make a call to technical support, not on initial set-up, but some weeks later with a home networking issue. They were efficient, but, unfortunately, only available during business hours. That is a detriment, because you need to be at home when you are one the phone with them. There is a user forum that appears to be monitored by company reps, but you may have to wait awhile for an answer.

I also recently had an issue when I changed my ISP and had to move my cable modem and router into another room. I had some audio blanking problems when I tried to connect the Grandstream via a powerline adapter. I had to move the device back into the room where the router is located to make a direct Ethernet connection to fix the problem.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The service is seamless. You never think about it. I use a Panasonic base station that has an answering feature, and, of course, it is plugged directly into the Grandstream. The Panasonic has 4 wireless extensions. It you are going to use your existing POTS wiring to connect all your house phones, you may have some additional work, particularly if your house is older. For the average user, unless you are very patient, or are willing pay someone to properly wire the house phones, it is far easier just to connect a base station with the wireless extensions, and I suspect that is the most common set up.

Once the service is up, and your phone system is plugged into the device, the service is just like the POTS you had before in many respects-- and better. The phone rings, you answer it; you pick up your phone to make a call, hear a dial tone, and dial the number. Same as it ever was.

But let's say you had a power failure for two hours, and during that period, you had no internet. What if 5 people called you? Would you know they had called? Yes you would! If your device is offline because of a power failure, or your isp is offline, the automated VOIPO front end answers the call and allows the caller to leave a voice mail. You set up the front end initially to forward the voice mail to your email address. I look at my smartphone and note that an email has been received, and listen to the attached .wav file to hear the message, and call them back on my smartphone. I like that feature. I have two answering machines: the hardware answering machine that my Panasonic provides, and a backup answering machine that VOIPO provides if, for any reason, the system cannot connect to my Grandstream.

So, I am a satisfied user of the service. I have the same telephone number I have used for 32 years (my old landline number ported to VOIPO); the voice quality is good; The service has been very reliable; I make unlimited domestic calls; and it all costs nine dollars a month (as opposed to the $49.95 that I was paying AT&T for POTS).

The two-year cost is $199, but with taxes and fees my renewal was $216. The original sign up cost was only $149, and that is an even better deal. They periodically make that offer to existing customers for a two year renewal. I just never took advantage of it, and wound up paying the full price at renewal.

Comments:

Review by dbmaven See Profile

• Location: Highland Mills,Orange,NY
Good "Price/reliabilitiy/call quality"
Bad "Currrent: None"
Overall "I'll renew"

·Optimum Online
Decided to replace a 2nd POTS line, used for some business calls and the occasional fax, due to significant price differential versus VoIP providers.
Have a MagicJack, and while it works OK, doesn't provide the kind of service that I require for this 2nd line being that a computer needs to be on and running 24 x 7, so I went looking for an ATA device based VoIP solution. I don't have the time or inclination to mess with 'Bring your own Device' (BYOD) services, so I wanted one that would be plug and play.
VOIPo, although new and just coming out of an extended beta period, fit the bill, had good ratings by the testing team which frequents the VOIP TECH CHAT forum, and a very good price.
Setup was truly plug and play once the ATA arrived (Grandstream HT502). And it worked well.
As has been well documented in the forums, they had a series of problems with the HT502 during January/February 2009. They ended up replacing the 502 with Linksys PAP-2T devices. That led to a separate set of issues - not VOIPo's problem - that can be reviewed in my post here: »[VoIPo] If you have a Linksys router...

Since that time, I've had zero problems, 100% reliability and could not be happier with the service.

You can get better 'value for the money' if you're a tweaker/geek and do BYOD with another service provider, which is why I rated that attribute a "4". If you're a plug-and-play/I just want it to work type person, it's really a "5" at this time.

Update 26-Oct-2010
It just works.

Call clarity is better than anything else I've got - cell or POTS.
Zero issues in what seems like forever.

Update 12-Aug-2013
Can't believe it's been this long since I updated this review - but that's a testament to a service that has just worked for me, whenever needed it's there. I've got it set up on Zoiper (iPhone 5), the built in Internet Calling on my Galaxy Nexus, and on laptop with X-Lite. The PAP2T ATA just keeps humming along.
It's not the cheapest, it's not the most feature laden, but it's perfect for my needs - and has been "perfect".

member for 15.4 years, 8172 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great value!"
Bad "Website/UI is very primitive"
Overall "Fantastic value, great call quality. Very happy!"

5/20/2013 Update

I've lived with that call connection problem for a long time now. The most common mode of failure would be I'd answer the phone and hear dead air. I finally figured out that many of the failed connections were the result of the ATA crashing instead of completing the call.

I brought this to VOIPo's attention. They first tried updating to the latest firmware, then they agreed to ship me a new ATA. Plugged in the new ATA, and now all is well. Finally I'm getting the reliability that I'm supposed to get!

VOIPo appears to have issued me a service credit for my trouble. That was very nice of them. I'm changing my ratings now that I know most of my service issues were with the hardware, not actual service. Back to being happy!

7/3/2012 Update

Unfortunately, the 1 way calls have steadily gotten worse. It got to a point where I was only able to make or receive calls around 50% of the time. Once established calls are clear and stay connected, its just getting there that's been a problem. When it's acting up I'll miss inbound calls too - I'll just see voicemails from people, and the phone will not have rang.

It seems like a capacity issue of some sort, perhaps worse in the evenings. Fortunately I haven't had a lot of trouble getting though to work's teleconference number in the morning, which is what I need this service for the most.

I've created a support ticket. They said they switched me to a different network or something, but it hasn't had any effect.

I hope this is just a temporary growing pain because I'm otherwise happy with the service.

Previous update:

I was previously a happy PhonePower customer. PhonePower offered a great "second year free" promo, which I enjoyed for the full duration. When those two years were up, they wanted full price to continue service.

To me, that's just begging for customers to look at other options. And so I did. People around here seemed to like VOIPo, and the feature list seemed to meet my requirements. I also wasn't using the land line nearly as much, so I was willing to take a risk for some savings.

Turns out they use the exact same ATA as PhonePower. Call quality, like PhonePower, has been excellent. I was also very pleased to find that emailed voicemail attachments have the CALLER ID NAME in the email, something I had been complaining to PhonePower about for years.

On the negative, PhonePower was slightly more solid, at least while connected to AT&T's U-verse service. Every once in a great while (maybe 1 every 100 calls) something odd happens with the VOIPo service (caller can't hear me, failed call, etc). It always resolves itself upon a subsequent calls. PhonePower never did anything weird like that. Once connected though, the calls are always crisp and clear, and I have always been able to get through hour-plus conference calls without any hiccups or trouble.

Comparing BYOD credentials, PhonePower was using a SIP proxy. VOIPo seems to use a direct connection. It's quite possible that AT&T's gateway is responsible for these (VERY MINOR) glitches. I've just recently switched to Road Runner internet. It will be interesting to see what effects this has on my VOIPo service.

My favorite thing about VOIPo so far is that they offered their EXISTING CUSTOMERS a "Black friday" deal for $150 to extend their contract for another two years. FINALLY, a company that actually WANTS ME TO STAY WITH THEM. Bravo, VOIPo!

My monthly cost reflects my initial $185 for two years, plus my $150 to extend the contract. Extremely happy with them.

member for 14.8 years, 7260 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by billys9319 See Profile

• Location: Bear,New Castle,DE
Good "Great call routing so I can block or send to voicemail unwanted calls."
Overall "Great service at a great price"

Easy to install and just works. The best part is the call routing for in coming calls. You can send numbers to voicemail, give them a disconnect, etc. Has reduced the number of times my phone rings to a minimum.

member for 13.3 years, 1961 visits, last login: 30 days ago

Comments:

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Call quality, Communication, customer service"
Bad "Nothing serious, but website could be more user friendly with more knowledge base"
Overall "Best choice for the price"

UPDATE 03/14/2013
It is been over two months with VOIPo and the service is working as good as from day one. Now that I made VOIPo as my primary line with two other numbers being forwarded to it. No complaints whatsoever and everything working fine as it should be. Enjoying the simple and effective features.

UPDATE 01/26/2013
Since I had the best customer service experience with VOIPo Team this time I decided to activate another number with them. They were extremely helpful to pull out an inactive number that belonged to me once from their carrier database.

I now have three VOIP services at home/home office and I can compare them side to side. Features/quality/cost wise VOIPo is number one at this time. Second goes to PP.

UPDATE 01/12/2013:
My bad luck, I encountered a extreme difficulty to use the service on my second attempt as a result of carrier issues (I believe). Support was quite helpful, and TIm, CEO of VOIPo was extremely helpful. However, certain issues could not be resolved and I believe it was an isolated issue with my phone number. Therefore, I have decided to take my number to another provider.

With the level of help and support received from VOIPo team, I will definitely recommend VOIPo and hope things will work out for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review: January 2012

Alright, to begin with I should clarify the monthly fee of $16+ I came up with. This was figured out after comparing exactly what I am paying for the similar features to another provider.

Break up:
Two year pre-pay including tax and fees for 24 months: $165.00 = $6.87/mo
International package for 12 months: $75 = $6.25/mo
Virtual fax number for 12 months: $36 = $3/mo

Total: 16.12/mo

I am paying $19 for all those service with PhonePower with another number ported out from MJ. All services/quality is pretty much identical except VOIPO does not provide outbound caller ID, huh?

I as porting a number from magicjack to VOIPO just for the reason that MJ does not have outbound Caller ID and their service fee was little less than PhonePower.
After activating the service with VOIPO I found it is the same case with them.

I found this problem first day itself and cancelled the service and magicjack took care the rest and saved my number.

May be its me, I should have done bit more digging before I signed up with VOIPO rather than trying to save couple of bucks a month.

Now towards the good part:
- Very good customer service, tickets are responded very quickly.
- Service activated instantly with a temporary number until porting is under process
- option to send fax via online (still under beta and do not know how much they will charge once out of beta)
-quick shipping

Bottom line: I could not find anything better than my other VOIP provider and could not fulfill my requirement. Your personal experience may be different. For me its big NO without outbound Caller ID as it is very important for me.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex

problems with underlying carrier

Just don't say that on Voipo forum - or you would be slaughtered! A few sycophants form a tag team and don't accept any Voipo reason for a problem. It must be router, ISP, your stupidity - or Force majeure incompatibility!

Like any sycophants, they don't do Voipo any favor.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

said by ymhee_bcex:

This is a common practice with all service providers. It is always your fault, they are always perfect! lol

With VOIPo, at least I am getting a phone call/adequate response from customer service.

I totally understand your point though. I have seen certain responses on their forum which explains your opinion.

With my another service provider PhonePower, they do not even respond to emails unless until you start picking them up on their public forum or here at DSLR. Once they started up acquiring other VoIP providers such as voip.com, broadvoice they think customers has no more options but to listen to or take their BS. Interestingly they brought down the new signup price to 4.99 a month now desperate for new customers it seems.

Re: problems with underlying carrier

PhonePower forum has one sycophant - but he is more outlandish than the whole Voipo fan club combined.

I never tried to email PhonePower, but phone calls get answered quickly and professionally. My PhonePower account is used in doctor's office; so if they have problems - those need to be resolved right away. I also like that when receptionist called support, they were able to resolve an issue without my involvement. That said, I think their pricing is very deceptive - actual cost is about twice what is shown in big letters of the front page. Where do you see $4.99?

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where do you see $4.99?

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

to get 4.99 price you need to go to whichvoip.com and click on the link provided for phonepower.

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, eveybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

As far as service concerned I never had to call them once the ATA is connected and running. Problems are with their website, their add on services such as soft phone, iPhone App, caller ID etc.

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

Heh, I saw he picked up a fight with you as well

said by jacobslive:

Thank you, I didn't know about this site!

said by jacobslive:

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, everybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

Even voipo! What, voipo is now a gold standard for transparency? Well, unlike PhonePower, Voipo doesn't bill you $50 for the second year. What you pay upfront is indeed total cost for 2 years.

$8.33 per month that is in big digits on PP's front page actually turns into $13 after fees (60% on top what's advertised). On the other hand, $14.99/mo that is quoted on VoicePulse's front page turns into $15.89 after 6% sales tax. Funny, that PhonePower is still a better deal than VoicePulse (especially with two lines, softphone and SIP credentials) - but it certainly looks very deceptive!

And my understanding is that $75/year that Future Nine is showing on their front page actually means $75... I am itching for an excuse to sign up with them

Re: problems with underlying carrier

Ha, yeah we pick on each other some times, still we are good buddies.

You are welcome!

Yeah I forgot about the second year charge PP has as tax/service fee. Anyways, I don't think I will ever go back to them even if they bring the price down to 1.99/month. There is no customer service, broken applications, broken Caller ID database. I don't feel any itch whatsoever now Matter of fact, I pulled out my second PP adapter and routed the call to VOIPo number and opened a brand new account with VOIPo instead of that I knew PP has 5/mo plan available. Screw them for now!

wulf

@mccc.edu

Terrible service

Took forever to port and then they denied my free month of service.

Stay away!!!!!!!

Review by format See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Value for the money, easy to connect, and really cool features."
Bad "For me the service was just not reliable enough. Also no real effort to save a customer that had been with them for years."
Overall "I really used to like VOIPo. Still beats the heck out of AT&T."

I had VOIPo since December 2008. I started out very happy with the service. I had it up and running the day after I placed my order by using a free software phone (X-Lite) and the information VOIPo provided me with. My Analog telephone adapter arrived in about 5 days (they ship USPS).

Compared to the AT&T pots line I had before I have a lot more features at a fraction of the price. When it works there is no real difference in audio quality between the pots line and the VOIPo line. VOIPo offers a huge selection of features.

Their support and staff are polite and quick to respond and I have even received a support response from the CEO at 1 AM CST on the weekend. Tim (the CEO) is dedicated to making VOIPo a top notch company.

I would recommend VOIPo to anyone who wants more for their money vs a major telco or to save some money. They offer a "30 Day Guarantee".

Update 2-3-13.

This is will be my final review of VOIPo.

I had VOIPo for 4 years. Had a lot of tech issues the first year. I continued to be plagued by intermittent service issues throughout the time I had the service. We were using VOIPo as our primary phone line and so many times I would try to call home in the morning from work and the call would not go threw. They of course would always fix it but due to it occurring so much much I was forced to switch to another phone provider for reliability. Frankly I was tired of contacting support to have things fixed. My wife was tired of messing with it. I hung on to VOIPo hoping eventually it would improve and I could switch back to using them as my primary line. The last year I had the service we barley used it. When I got the bill for almost $200.00 for the next year January 2013 I decided to part with the service because I just could not justify paying that any longer.

Disconnecting the service was not too difficult. I emailed support who sent me to a url to request disconnect. When you are disconnecting it really feels they are not interested in saving you as a customer instead they just want to make sure they get their phone adapter back. It tells you must return it on the disconnect page and they sent a few emails reminding me to send it back (and threatening to send it to collections if you dont).

One small issue with disconnecting was a credit I had on my account for literally years. Due to initial issues with their Grandstream adapter they had to send me a replacement Linksys adapter. They sent me the new one and I had to send them the Grandstream adapter back. They agreed to credit me the cost of the return postage. They did apply the credit for almost 5.00 but when my billing came out again they neglected to subtract that credit balance from the amount I owed so the credit remained there. When I disconnected I was initially told

Unfortunately credits do not have cash value. Please see the section labeled "Cancellations" in the Terms of Service here: »www.voipo.com/tos.php

I sent him a prompt reply explaining why I dispute this and he did not reply back. Then I sent another email the next day letting them know I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and I received a reply stating the following

Please disregard the previous correspondence within this case. The request has been approved appropriately and I'm moving your ticket to your billing department to ensure the credit amount is refunded accordingly.

So hopefully that issue is resolved.

Some thoughts for VOIPo.

1. When a customer is disconnecting would be a great opportunity to save them as a customer. You really should try something.

2. Threatening to send a 50.00 charge to collections a week after someone disconnects does not make someone want to recommend you or ever do business with you again.

3. While i understand it is rare that a customer would be entitled to a credit based on terms of service you should still take a moment and read why they are asking for a refund and if justified not give them a hard time about it. I was clearly justified in my request for a refund and I really did not appreciate the robotic response I got from the first csr.

Farewell VOIPo and good luck!

member for 14.2 years, 513 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Tahir

@telus.net

viopo service

Great review. Thanks.

Review by Parneli See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Cost, Quality, Uptime, Support"
Overall "Rock solid low cost voip"

Update Jan 2013: Been with Voipo a few years now and there isn't much to say. It's never stopped working (unless my internet is down), and kinda like the old bell system I just don't give it a thought.

Back during the election when everyone was getting a dozen solicitations a night, I got maybe two during the whole thing. And I then blocked both of them using the Voipo website where you have a choice to send to voicemail, send a busy signal, send a disconnect signal etc. So if either of those numbers did ever try to call me again I didn't have to listen to the phone ring.

Highly recommended.

Update Aug 2011: Happy enough with the service to have renewed the contract during a promotion and now I'm about 1 year into a 4 year contract.

Also they changed some back-end stuff with faxing from their webpage, and I fax about 1 acrobat or word document a week and never have any problem.

*********

6 months into a 2yr contract having switched after 5 years with Vonage. Had a bit of downtime at the beginning but it turned out to be a hardware failure that they can't be blamed for.

Vonage was fine and all, but the bill had worked its' way up to $30+ a month and when I signed a two year prepay with Voipo, it comes down to $9/mo. And that's not a typo.

The service hasn't been down at all that I've seen in the 6 months, when I had the above issue they were quick to remedy it and send out a replacement adapter.

The only thing I ever see people mention negative about Voipo is the website is a bit unintuitive. Considering how rarely I use it, it's almost a non-issue- and they're apparently working on a redesign.

Comments:

Review by dsl14350 See Profile

• Location: Holland,Ottawa,MI
Good "Price, customer service, website."
Bad "Sometimes an echo can be heard by wife."
Overall "Very good service for a good price."

UPDATE 12-31-12: Things with Voipo are running very good since my last review. Wife nor I have heard any echos of late and phone always works.

We have had Voipo for about 2 months now, over all we are happy with the service.
Had issues in the very beginning with calls not going through and/or receiving party not able to hear calling party.Called customer service and a very helpful person remotely went into our router and changed some port settings and calls work perfect since.
My wife hears an echo with one or two numbers shes calls, but it good for the majority of her calls. I should open a ticket w/Voipo for those numbers, but well, you know.
Website. Voipo takes the most heat for their website design, but it works for me.
It does what I need, I can find what I need, easy enough to make changes.
I considered NetTalk before Voipo, mainly because of price, but they weren't porting numbers yet and had be promising porting for a long time.
Overall, I'm very happy with Voipo service.

member for 9.7 years, 2900 visits, last login: a few hours ago