VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by djrobx See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Great value!"
Bad "Website/UI is very primitive"
Overall "Fantastic value, great call quality. Very happy!"

5/20/2013 Update

I've lived with that call connection problem for a long time now. The most common mode of failure would be I'd answer the phone and hear dead air. I finally figured out that many of the failed connections were the result of the ATA crashing instead of completing the call.

I brought this to VOIPo's attention. They first tried updating to the latest firmware, then they agreed to ship me a new ATA. Plugged in the new ATA, and now all is well. Finally I'm getting the reliability that I'm supposed to get!

VOIPo appears to have issued me a service credit for my trouble. That was very nice of them. I'm changing my ratings now that I know most of my service issues were with the hardware, not actual service. Back to being happy!

7/3/2012 Update

Unfortunately, the 1 way calls have steadily gotten worse. It got to a point where I was only able to make or receive calls around 50% of the time. Once established calls are clear and stay connected, its just getting there that's been a problem. When it's acting up I'll miss inbound calls too - I'll just see voicemails from people, and the phone will not have rang.

It seems like a capacity issue of some sort, perhaps worse in the evenings. Fortunately I haven't had a lot of trouble getting though to work's teleconference number in the morning, which is what I need this service for the most.

I've created a support ticket. They said they switched me to a different network or something, but it hasn't had any effect.

I hope this is just a temporary growing pain because I'm otherwise happy with the service.

Previous update:

I was previously a happy PhonePower customer. PhonePower offered a great "second year free" promo, which I enjoyed for the full duration. When those two years were up, they wanted full price to continue service.

To me, that's just begging for customers to look at other options. And so I did. People around here seemed to like VOIPo, and the feature list seemed to meet my requirements. I also wasn't using the land line nearly as much, so I was willing to take a risk for some savings.

Turns out they use the exact same ATA as PhonePower. Call quality, like PhonePower, has been excellent. I was also very pleased to find that emailed voicemail attachments have the CALLER ID NAME in the email, something I had been complaining to PhonePower about for years.

On the negative, PhonePower was slightly more solid, at least while connected to AT&T's U-verse service. Every once in a great while (maybe 1 every 100 calls) something odd happens with the VOIPo service (caller can't hear me, failed call, etc). It always resolves itself upon a subsequent calls. PhonePower never did anything weird like that. Once connected though, the calls are always crisp and clear, and I have always been able to get through hour-plus conference calls without any hiccups or trouble.

Comparing BYOD credentials, PhonePower was using a SIP proxy. VOIPo seems to use a direct connection. It's quite possible that AT&T's gateway is responsible for these (VERY MINOR) glitches. I've just recently switched to Road Runner internet. It will be interesting to see what effects this has on my VOIPo service.

My favorite thing about VOIPo so far is that they offered their EXISTING CUSTOMERS a "Black friday" deal for $150 to extend their contract for another two years. FINALLY, a company that actually WANTS ME TO STAY WITH THEM. Bravo, VOIPo!

My monthly cost reflects my initial $185 for two years, plus my $150 to extend the contract. Extremely happy with them.

member for 14.5 years, 7120 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by billys9319 See Profile

• Location: Bear,New Castle,DE
Good "Great call routing so I can block or send to voicemail unwanted calls."
Overall "Great service at a great price"

Easy to install and just works. The best part is the call routing for in coming calls. You can send numbers to voicemail, give them a disconnect, etc. Has reduced the number of times my phone rings to a minimum.

member for 13 years, 1950 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Call quality, Communication, customer service"
Bad "Nothing serious, but website could be more user friendly with more knowledge base"
Overall "Best choice for the price"

UPDATE 03/14/2013
It is been over two months with VOIPo and the service is working as good as from day one. Now that I made VOIPo as my primary line with two other numbers being forwarded to it. No complaints whatsoever and everything working fine as it should be. Enjoying the simple and effective features.

UPDATE 01/26/2013
Since I had the best customer service experience with VOIPo Team this time I decided to activate another number with them. They were extremely helpful to pull out an inactive number that belonged to me once from their carrier database.

I now have three VOIP services at home/home office and I can compare them side to side. Features/quality/cost wise VOIPo is number one at this time. Second goes to PP.

UPDATE 01/12/2013:
My bad luck, I encountered a extreme difficulty to use the service on my second attempt as a result of carrier issues (I believe). Support was quite helpful, and TIm, CEO of VOIPo was extremely helpful. However, certain issues could not be resolved and I believe it was an isolated issue with my phone number. Therefore, I have decided to take my number to another provider.

With the level of help and support received from VOIPo team, I will definitely recommend VOIPo and hope things will work out for you.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review: January 2012

Alright, to begin with I should clarify the monthly fee of $16+ I came up with. This was figured out after comparing exactly what I am paying for the similar features to another provider.

Break up:
Two year pre-pay including tax and fees for 24 months: $165.00 = $6.87/mo
International package for 12 months: $75 = $6.25/mo
Virtual fax number for 12 months: $36 = $3/mo

Total: 16.12/mo

I am paying $19 for all those service with PhonePower with another number ported out from MJ. All services/quality is pretty much identical except VOIPO does not provide outbound caller ID, huh?

I as porting a number from magicjack to VOIPO just for the reason that MJ does not have outbound Caller ID and their service fee was little less than PhonePower.
After activating the service with VOIPO I found it is the same case with them.

I found this problem first day itself and cancelled the service and magicjack took care the rest and saved my number.

May be its me, I should have done bit more digging before I signed up with VOIPO rather than trying to save couple of bucks a month.

Now towards the good part:
- Very good customer service, tickets are responded very quickly.
- Service activated instantly with a temporary number until porting is under process
- option to send fax via online (still under beta and do not know how much they will charge once out of beta)
-quick shipping

Bottom line: I could not find anything better than my other VOIP provider and could not fulfill my requirement. Your personal experience may be different. For me its big NO without outbound Caller ID as it is very important for me.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex

problems with underlying carrier

Just don't say that on Voipo forum - or you would be slaughtered! A few sycophants form a tag team and don't accept any Voipo reason for a problem. It must be router, ISP, your stupidity - or Force majeure incompatibility!

Like any sycophants, they don't do Voipo any favor.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

said by ymhee_bcex:

This is a common practice with all service providers. It is always your fault, they are always perfect! lol

With VOIPo, at least I am getting a phone call/adequate response from customer service.

I totally understand your point though. I have seen certain responses on their forum which explains your opinion.

With my another service provider PhonePower, they do not even respond to emails unless until you start picking them up on their public forum or here at DSLR. Once they started up acquiring other VoIP providers such as voip.com, broadvoice they think customers has no more options but to listen to or take their BS. Interestingly they brought down the new signup price to 4.99 a month now desperate for new customers it seems.

Re: problems with underlying carrier

PhonePower forum has one sycophant - but he is more outlandish than the whole Voipo fan club combined.

I never tried to email PhonePower, but phone calls get answered quickly and professionally. My PhonePower account is used in doctor's office; so if they have problems - those need to be resolved right away. I also like that when receptionist called support, they were able to resolve an issue without my involvement. That said, I think their pricing is very deceptive - actual cost is about twice what is shown in big letters of the front page. Where do you see $4.99?

said by ymhee_bcex:

Where do you see $4.99?

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

to get 4.99 price you need to go to whichvoip.com and click on the link provided for phonepower.

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, eveybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

As far as service concerned I never had to call them once the ATA is connected and running. Problems are with their website, their add on services such as soft phone, iPhone App, caller ID etc.

ha ha I guess I know who is that sycophant lol

Heh, I saw he picked up a fight with you as well

said by jacobslive:

Thank you, I didn't know about this site!

said by jacobslive:

Their initial signup price is not deceptive but very fair I believe. If you talking about added tax and service fee, everybody does that, even voipo. Once the initial contract is over then their price is far beyond fair.

Even voipo! What, voipo is now a gold standard for transparency? Well, unlike PhonePower, Voipo doesn't bill you $50 for the second year. What you pay upfront is indeed total cost for 2 years.

$8.33 per month that is in big digits on PP's front page actually turns into $13 after fees (60% on top what's advertised). On the other hand, $14.99/mo that is quoted on VoicePulse's front page turns into $15.89 after 6% sales tax. Funny, that PhonePower is still a better deal than VoicePulse (especially with two lines, softphone and SIP credentials) - but it certainly looks very deceptive!

And my understanding is that $75/year that Future Nine is showing on their front page actually means $75... I am itching for an excuse to sign up with them

Re: problems with underlying carrier

Ha, yeah we pick on each other some times, still we are good buddies.

You are welcome!

Yeah I forgot about the second year charge PP has as tax/service fee. Anyways, I don't think I will ever go back to them even if they bring the price down to 1.99/month. There is no customer service, broken applications, broken Caller ID database. I don't feel any itch whatsoever now Matter of fact, I pulled out my second PP adapter and routed the call to VOIPo number and opened a brand new account with VOIPo instead of that I knew PP has 5/mo plan available. Screw them for now!

wulf

@mccc.edu

Terrible service

Took forever to port and then they denied my free month of service.

Stay away!!!!!!!

Review by format See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Value for the money, easy to connect, and really cool features."
Bad "For me the service was just not reliable enough. Also no real effort to save a customer that had been with them for years."
Overall "I really used to like VOIPo. Still beats the heck out of AT&T."

I had VOIPo since December 2008. I started out very happy with the service. I had it up and running the day after I placed my order by using a free software phone (X-Lite) and the information VOIPo provided me with. My Analog telephone adapter arrived in about 5 days (they ship USPS).

Compared to the AT&T pots line I had before I have a lot more features at a fraction of the price. When it works there is no real difference in audio quality between the pots line and the VOIPo line. VOIPo offers a huge selection of features.

Their support and staff are polite and quick to respond and I have even received a support response from the CEO at 1 AM CST on the weekend. Tim (the CEO) is dedicated to making VOIPo a top notch company.

I would recommend VOIPo to anyone who wants more for their money vs a major telco or to save some money. They offer a "30 Day Guarantee".

Update 2-3-13.

This is will be my final review of VOIPo.

I had VOIPo for 4 years. Had a lot of tech issues the first year. I continued to be plagued by intermittent service issues throughout the time I had the service. We were using VOIPo as our primary phone line and so many times I would try to call home in the morning from work and the call would not go threw. They of course would always fix it but due to it occurring so much much I was forced to switch to another phone provider for reliability. Frankly I was tired of contacting support to have things fixed. My wife was tired of messing with it. I hung on to VOIPo hoping eventually it would improve and I could switch back to using them as my primary line. The last year I had the service we barley used it. When I got the bill for almost $200.00 for the next year January 2013 I decided to part with the service because I just could not justify paying that any longer.

Disconnecting the service was not too difficult. I emailed support who sent me to a url to request disconnect. When you are disconnecting it really feels they are not interested in saving you as a customer instead they just want to make sure they get their phone adapter back. It tells you must return it on the disconnect page and they sent a few emails reminding me to send it back (and threatening to send it to collections if you dont).

One small issue with disconnecting was a credit I had on my account for literally years. Due to initial issues with their Grandstream adapter they had to send me a replacement Linksys adapter. They sent me the new one and I had to send them the Grandstream adapter back. They agreed to credit me the cost of the return postage. They did apply the credit for almost 5.00 but when my billing came out again they neglected to subtract that credit balance from the amount I owed so the credit remained there. When I disconnected I was initially told

Unfortunately credits do not have cash value. Please see the section labeled "Cancellations" in the Terms of Service here: »www.voipo.com/tos.php

I sent him a prompt reply explaining why I dispute this and he did not reply back. Then I sent another email the next day letting them know I would be filing a complaint with the BBB and I received a reply stating the following

Please disregard the previous correspondence within this case. The request has been approved appropriately and I'm moving your ticket to your billing department to ensure the credit amount is refunded accordingly.

So hopefully that issue is resolved.

Some thoughts for VOIPo.

1. When a customer is disconnecting would be a great opportunity to save them as a customer. You really should try something.

2. Threatening to send a 50.00 charge to collections a week after someone disconnects does not make someone want to recommend you or ever do business with you again.

3. While i understand it is rare that a customer would be entitled to a credit based on terms of service you should still take a moment and read why they are asking for a refund and if justified not give them a hard time about it. I was clearly justified in my request for a refund and I really did not appreciate the robotic response I got from the first csr.

Farewell VOIPo and good luck!

member for 13.9 years, 513 visits, last login: 1.4 years ago

Comments:

Tahir

@telus.net

viopo service

Great review. Thanks.

Review by Parneli See Profile

• Location: Naperville,Du Page,IL
Good "Cost, Quality, Uptime, Support"
Overall "Rock solid low cost voip"

Update Jan 2013: Been with Voipo a few years now and there isn't much to say. It's never stopped working (unless my internet is down), and kinda like the old bell system I just don't give it a thought.

Back during the election when everyone was getting a dozen solicitations a night, I got maybe two during the whole thing. And I then blocked both of them using the Voipo website where you have a choice to send to voicemail, send a busy signal, send a disconnect signal etc. So if either of those numbers did ever try to call me again I didn't have to listen to the phone ring.

Highly recommended.

Update Aug 2011: Happy enough with the service to have renewed the contract during a promotion and now I'm about 1 year into a 4 year contract.

Also they changed some back-end stuff with faxing from their webpage, and I fax about 1 acrobat or word document a week and never have any problem.

*********

6 months into a 2yr contract having switched after 5 years with Vonage. Had a bit of downtime at the beginning but it turned out to be a hardware failure that they can't be blamed for.

Vonage was fine and all, but the bill had worked its' way up to $30+ a month and when I signed a two year prepay with Voipo, it comes down to $9/mo. And that's not a typo.

The service hasn't been down at all that I've seen in the 6 months, when I had the above issue they were quick to remedy it and send out a replacement adapter.

The only thing I ever see people mention negative about Voipo is the website is a bit unintuitive. Considering how rarely I use it, it's almost a non-issue- and they're apparently working on a redesign.

member for 9.9 years, 5415 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dsl14350 See Profile

• Location: Holland,Ottawa,MI
Good "Price, customer service, website."
Bad "Sometimes an echo can be heard by wife."
Overall "Very good service for a good price."

UPDATE 12-31-12: Things with Voipo are running very good since my last review. Wife nor I have heard any echos of late and phone always works.

We have had Voipo for about 2 months now, over all we are happy with the service.
Had issues in the very beginning with calls not going through and/or receiving party not able to hear calling party.Called customer service and a very helpful person remotely went into our router and changed some port settings and calls work perfect since.
My wife hears an echo with one or two numbers shes calls, but it good for the majority of her calls. I should open a ticket w/Voipo for those numbers, but well, you know.
Website. Voipo takes the most heat for their website design, but it works for me.
It does what I need, I can find what I need, easy enough to make changes.
I considered NetTalk before Voipo, mainly because of price, but they weren't porting numbers yet and had be promising porting for a long time.
Overall, I'm very happy with Voipo service.

member for 9.5 years, 2823 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by keeska See Profile

• Location: Sedona,Yavapai,AZ
Good "Reliable, good tech support"
Bad "Slightly more expensive then other providers"

·Suddenlink
We have tried a couple of VOIP providers and settled on VOIPo. We had a couple of problems when we first signed up with them a couple of years ago. Tech support was excellent, solving both problems withing a few hours. Since then the service has been very reliable with good call quality.

Comments:

Review by garuda See Profile

• Location: Niles,Cook,IL
Good "Good communication, easy installation and good value"
Bad "No visual voice mail, no remote admin app"
Overall "Rich features and good value"

Initially, I was not sure that VOIPo would work out for me. I had bad experience with Phone Power for 4 years and finally took a plunge after reading all pro and con reviews of VOIPo. Probably the biggest reason is seeing several posts from the owner responded to unfavorable reviews. Personally, that says a lot about the commitments to his company, products and customers. During the search, I found several voip companies do not have addresses or contact phone numbers! Those companies only communicate through email.

My VOIPo experience has been very good. From the start, they responded to my pre-sales question about the plan switching. Web order is simple and straight forward. Transfer phone number took about 2 weeks. Through out the process, VOIPo updated me on FOC date. Meanwhile, I asked them few questions regarding the web setups and other questions. All were answered, may not what I wanted to hear, but they responded.
Finally, on 12/10/12, the phone number is transferred and everything is working. Very happy now and hope that this continues.

Now the goods and the bads
Goods:
1) The support team responses in timely manner. Note that all my supports are via email. Have not call in for live support, yet. The best part is that you see all support cases and response threads on the web, even on the pre-sales question. This makes it easy for me to track which issues are open.
2) The adapter is Grandstream 702. Extremely easy to set up. Just plug it in to my router. The surprise for me was that I didn't have to mess around with port forwarding. Comparing to PhonePower 4 years ago, it was very nice experience. With PhonePower, they wanted the adapter in front of the firewall. I had to reboot the PhonePower adapter many times.
3) SMS alert works without any problem.
4) Softphone works, however, VOIPo does not have app for softphone. I use 3CX (free) and works nice with my Android phone.
5)The telemarketer call blocking is quite good. Have not gotten junk call, yet.
6) The forums is quite active and has good information there.

Bads:
1) No visual voice mail. With PhonePower, it is very nice to click and hear the voice mail right away instead of downloading the wave file.
2) No remote admin app. There are several times, I want to check the call logs. Without the app, the only option is to go to web and is quite difficult to do on a cell phone.
3) Cannot sort the contacts. This one surprises me. VOIPo provides ways to group contacts into different categories. However, you cannot sort them!
4) Not support house wiring. However, it works on my house.
5) Call quality is good on the receiving end. However, I kept hearing my own voice, very faint but audible (a little echo), don't know if it has anything to do with house wiring.

I hope that the experience will continue and VOIPo will improve the web interface and remote admin app soon.

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

In-house Wiring

Regarding your cons, I wouldn’t expect any VoIP company to support in-house wiring.

Review by RB480Ruger See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "Plug & Play, Very Good Quality, Great Great Price"
Bad "Need to add Help/info screens to VPanel"
Overall "100% Thumbs Up!"

I've only had service for 3 days, so it's too soon for a really conclusive review (my 'numbers' ratings reflect short term experience) but to date VOIPo has been absolutely great!

I have previous experience with SunRocket (2+years), Teleblend (only until I found an alternative), Future-Niee (short term try out) and Net2Phone (since Sunrocker crashed)...VOIPo was first that was truely plug and play.

Unpacked the RT31P2, added a DHCP reservation for it, plugged it in behind my home router...two minutes later was able to make a call! So far, I have to rate overall call quality better then my N2P lines.

I'll update this review after my secondary number is ported from N2P (scheduled to happen on 9/22) and I've had some time to use the service more extensively.

The Future-Nine PAYG (especially if you have an ATA) is a great value but VOIPo is a better value for my needs.

Update 09/23/2009:
My number was successfully ported from N2P to VOIPo as scheduled.

Update 11/18/2009:
No problems! Adding a second line to my VOIPo service and porting my main number.

Update: 11/21/2009:
Unpacked the RT31P2 for the second line...connected behind my home router...again "plug & play"...can make calls and recieve calls on the out of state virtual number. Have not yet received the porting date for my primary number.

Update: 12/13/2009:
My second number was ported on the scheduled date without any issues.

Update: 02/20/2010:
I missed the fact that my virtual number was initally setup as a temporary number..the confirmation email did state it was temporary but I missed that sentence. VOIPo dropped the number (without warning) while cleaning up temporary numbers that where still active. I have to commend and recommend the VOIPo customer service staff for the attention they paid to getting my virtual number into service correctly as a permanent number!! Thank you.

VPanel still needs help screens...which is why I've still rated it a 3.

Update 11/16/2012
I continue to be a happy camper with my VOIPo service. My original ATA died a week ago. Call support on Wednesday, the replacement ATA arrive on Saturday...plug and play.

Comments:

Review by gnvdude See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Vonage to VOIPO move - excellent experience"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent experience so far with excellent costs"

Transfer from Vonage to VOIPO experience

Vonage to VOIP Switch Experience

Thought I'd post the experience I've had with voipo over the last 4 weeks.

Just like many I was working to reduce my family budget monthly costs. Since I was off my AT&T cell contract in July I switched my iphone from the AT&T plan at $130 per mon. to StraightTalk @ $45 per month. Bonus.

Somehow I came across VOIPO, noticed the 2 year special pricing deal they had, so I decided to take the leap. I have been with Vonage for 6+ years, even had locked in pricing for the unlimited plan @ $10 per month. But VOIPO costs would take me down to $5 per month. In the beginning with Vonage I had calls I couldn't make to certain numbers and other minor issues I needed to open a vonage support ticket for and report. Over time and many tickets the call routes for my device (Cisco Linksys PAP2) got worked out.

So I expected to have the same start-up issues with VOIPO.

I filled out the online VOIPO porting form, which opened a support ticket. The next day I got a reply back saying Vonage did not have my phone number registered under my home address but instead their address, and did I have my permission to resubmit the port request. I answered yes, and the process went through and started.

After the port was completed, I started to dial the numbers same area code and different that under vonage I originally had trouble dialing (network busy message, fast busy signal, etc). The calls went through from VOIPO without issue. I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected to encounter the same dial out issues I had with vonage with voipo. So far 4 weeks later that hasn't happened.

Inbound calls have been fine. I signed up with VOIPO to get the advanced call routing features Vonage doesn't offer. The only thing I miss from Vonage is the voice to text feature that would email me a translation of the call. But since I still get the voice message audio emailed to me I can live with that.

Call Quality seems to be better under VOIPO with the stream adapter. Vonage sounded more compressed, VOIPO sounds more crisp.

Of course I've only been a VOIPO customer for 4 weeks now. But so far their support department has been very responsive, and inbound and outbound calls working just fine.

I do expect occasional typical VOIP issues that go with this technology like QoS router warble settings issues, and the occasional need to reboot my device. I do understand it's VOIP and that these issues are to be expected from time to time. If you want perfect service you either have to go traditional land line or use your cell phone. But for $5 per month I can't beat it.

Looking forward to implementing some call routes to reduce the telemarketer calls and route numbers straight for voicemail I don't want calling us.

I read many a forum post on other peoples vonage to voipo experience, before I ported my number (tested voipo for 2 weeks). All I can say is my experience has been pretty close to perfect.

I'm waiting to see how voipo behaves over the next few months. If I have issues you can trust I will open a trouble ticket. Given my current support experience and the posts I've seen from the CEO guy I expect voipo to address my issues to my satisfaction.

All in all it's been a great transition. So far I'm glad I made the switch. Stay tuned I'll update in another 6 months.