VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Gaff See Profile

• Location: North TX, US
Good "About as simple as VOIP gets"
Bad "Not much right now"
Overall "I should have done this years ago"

·Suddenlink
After coming to the belated realisation that I was paying AT&T too much for home phone and DSL service and had been for some time, I started shopping around for a VOIP solution which I knew from research was much cheaper to provide than traditional telephony services.

After seeing VOIPo recommended elsewhere on these forums, I started to look at them closely. $165 for two years of service (breaking down to $6.88 a month) seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and so I signed up on 8/6 and received the VOIPo ATA unit on 8/10 (a Grandstream HT702 - provided free of charge for the lifetime of my service).

Installation was as simple as connecting one end to my router, connecting the other end to my phone and plugging in the power. After a few minutes of the lights flashing I suddenly had a dialtone and was up and running.

I did have some issues with the fact that I was using a Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone, which apparently has some problems correctly receiving caller ID information from the VOIPo ATA. I also had a problem whereby the ATA would not correctly hang up the line when a call came in that was answered by my answering machine but no message was left.

One email and one livechat with VOIPo support later and a new firmware upgrade for my ATA solved both of those issues in about 20 minutes.

The one last niggle was that my VOIPo-provided voicemail did not work. The tech who fixed my above problems could not fix that one and passed the ticket on to tier 2 support, who in turn passed it to tier 3 and the issue was fixed less than 90 minutes after the livechat.

So all in all, everything is now working flawlessly and I am paying about 85% less than what I would be paying AT&T for what is a superior service with features and extras all over the place, one of which is 60 minutes of free calls a month to a long list of countries, which is going to be very useful to an ex-pat Brit like myself.

The only downside is that I wish that I had done this a long time ago.

Do yourself a favour: stop giving the incumbent phone companies ridiculous amounts of money for what costs them very little to provide and get in step with today's technology. Your wallet will certainly thank you for it.

Comments:

Review by bgraham See Profile

• Location: Smithtown,Suffolk,NY
Good "Everything works just as it should. Been a customer for 2 years."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Great service and support. Call quality is as good as POTS."

Just a great service. Not sure if the $18 a month is my grandfathered price and the current price is different, but for $18 a month you can't go wrong. I also call home to the UK 3 or 4 times a month and the package includes 60 free international minutes a month so I never have to pay for international calls.
The only problem I ever had was that I can't call local only 800 #'s. Who cares, I just call the non 800#.
I cannot remember the service ever going down, other than maybe once or twice in the last 2 years for an hour or so.

Update July 2012
Switched to the $189 for 2 year prepaid contract. Have about 6 months left on it and if they don't grandfather me to another 2 year prepaid contract I will still be happy to go back to the $18 a month price.

member for 13.5 years, 3437 visits, last login: 187 days ago

Comments:

Steamed

@rr.com

Constant Problems

A couple times a month for the past year I have trouble with the service. Usually, I can't make calls. I find the positive reviews here dubious.

Review by Goliath13 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Local Call Center. Answer Calls, Tech Support."
Bad "The Calling and Receiving Part Sucks."
Overall "Decent Value but terrible voice quality, receipt and sending of calls."

So I've had VoipO for over a year. I've been using this service with the Pap2 adapter connected to my router and 2 Panasonic cordless phones.

I'm also a customer of Voip.ms and callwithus at my office (very happy there). I decided to go with VOIPO here because I thought it would be the better value with the wife calling the east coast all the time and they had an unlimited rate. First off the WAF is terrible and I really can't blame her.

I would say 50% of calls made return a busy signal even though the other end isn't busy. That's a 50% success rate.

When others call us either there is a few second delay or we just don't get sound and look like idiots repeatedly saying hello hello hellllooo ....

Call quality isn't good although I can't objectively say it's because of my phones or the Pap2 connector or VOIPo.

In the beginning we were getting messages from the phone saying no service or whatever. A couple of calls to VOIPo fixed that.

On the plus side they do have a local call center and you can actually call them and get somebody else on the other side. Their customer service seems on the better side of the other voip vendors I've tried who just deal with e-mails.

Overall, if you're persistent you can get a call and make a call after a few tries, in my case at least but honestly why should it be so hard?

I'm anxiously waiting for the day my service expires with this company and I'll be switching to somebody else.

Comments:

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Cannot Use Home Wiring with Voipo????!

Removed comments and started a new thread.

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

File a trouble report ticket

I've had Voipo for quite a while. I started having trouble with 1-way calls.

I finally got tired of it and created a tech support incident. The first "repair" caused my call quality to go from crystal clear to crap. The second round though, they appear to have fixed it. The most interesting part is that whatever they did also fixed the delay when answering calls. No more "helllooo? hello??".

I've dealt with that damn delay for so long, it's unbelievably refreshing to be able to just answer the phone and talk!
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Review by motoracer See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap, good customer service, great call quality"
Bad "Absolutely none."
Overall "I would recommend VOIPo to anyone."

Update 5/26/12 - Still working like a charm. No problems/complaints.

-------------------------------------------------------

Update 7/12/11 - Just wanted to update my review to say I haven't had any problems with my service. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks VOIPo!

-------------------------------------------------------

Update: 2/17/11 - Service has been really stable. No problems. Highly recommend VOIPo!

--------------------------------------------------------

Update: 9/24/09 - No problems at all for the last few months. Keep up the good work guys/gals!

----------------------------------------------------------

Update: 5/16/09 - Phones have been a little unreliable as of late. I'll sometimes pick up my phone and get no dialtone. I've also sporadically had calls directed to my failover number. The problem usually fixes itself, but nonetheless, still having problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Update: 4/15/09 - Haven't had a single problem since my ATA replacement. I have upgraded my scorecard of VOIPo accordingly. Keep up the good work Tim and team!

------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 4/9/09 - VOIPo has been great lately - the only complaint I have is that I'm getting an echo during phone conversations every once in awhile (it'll last about 45 seconds then go away). Outside of the echo, I haven't had any problems. Good job VOIPo.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 3/27/09 - I haven't had my phone go down once (other than when my DSL went down for a little bit // not due to VOIPo) since the PAP2T replacement. I'm upgrading VOIPo's rating in this review to reflect the better service - will do so again in the future if it is warranted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 2/28/09 - All has been working well as of late. Hopefully the kinks have been cleared up.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've had many problems with VOIPo's reliability. Due to issues outside of my control, my ATA loses registration, and it won't automatically re-register itself **as it's supposed to** until I physically reboot the device forcing it to re-register. It's to a point where I randomly use my phone to call my cell just to see if it's working (not good at all). As of now, I would not recommend anyone switching to VOIPo until they get a lot of kinks worked out.

I'll add more updates down the line.

member for 11 years, 3710 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Grove City,Franklin,OH
Good "Great voice quality and Technical Support"
Bad "Not much really..."
Overall "Switch NOW"

I have had VOIPO for about 4 months and I am most impressed. A couple of times I needed technical support and they were quick and very helpful. The features of the phone are great. If you have people calling you don't want to talk to, you can make sure they hear a busy signal or a couple of options. I do agree that the web interface could use some spucing up but for what I was paying AT&T a few months ago it is ok by me. The call quality is as good as AT&T. I have no regrets about the change and would suggest it to anyone that wants to $200-300 / year.

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

Review by videonex See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA

For simplicity at the price, can't be beat. Take advantage of the 2 year pre pay deal. Can't go wrong.

member for 13.1 years, 3808 visits, last login: 317 days ago

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Plug and Play"
Bad "Wasn't using years ago"
Overall "Working fine for us, might for you too!"

We had cut the land line thinking we could just use cell phones. However, to save more money had to cut back on unlimited cell minutes so got Voipo to supplement that.
Ordered on-line and about a week later received the device to plug into network.
Had to contact Voipo support to get a couple minor configurations issues taken care of, but they did it quickly.
Have had about a month now so time will tell.

member for 14 years, 6605 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Brian in MD See Profile

• Location: Maryland, US
Good "Reliable, excellent call quality"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Excellent new VOIP company with a ton of potential"

I've been using the VOIPo beta for well over a year now, and service has been excellent. Call quality is on-par or better than most of the providers I've used, and the guys running things really seem to care about overall quality of their product. Downtime has been almost non-existent (considering it's still in beta, that's pretty good!), and the feature set is full of all the essentials. The control panel is home-grown, and functions perfectly, with changes taking effect immediately, and the interface is simple for anyone to use.

Please note that the total monthly price doesn't include fees, as those aren't known yet, but I'll update this review once they are.

Overall, even though the company hasn't gone large-scale yet, I think VOIPo has a ton of potential to become huge.

Update - 12/22/08 - Service has continued to work flawlessly. There have been no outages or significant disruptions. Everything is still great!

Update - 4/4/08 - All is good. My GrandStream device has been replaced with a PAP2T and things seem very stable. New features (including SimulRing) have been launched.

Update - 9/8/09 - All is still good. A bunch of new features, including 60 mins/mo of international calling. The service has been rock solid for me.

member for 11.3 years, 4176 visits, last login: 162 days ago

Comments:

Review by Napsterbater See Profile

• Location: Milledgeville,Baldwin,GA
Good "Reliable, BYOD/PBX"
Overall "Great Service"

·Windstream
Update 04-07-12: Been with them now for well over 2 years and not a single problem with them, very cheap pricing when you go for the 2yr deals they do all the time, still using my own PBX as a BYOD and zero issues.

Reliable
Allow BYOD/PBX
Virtual Numbers
Numbers available in areas others don't have.

No trouble out of them for over a year

member for 11.7 years, 4502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Leawood,Johnson,KS
Good "Excellent call quality, support, price and features."
Bad "No outgoing caller ID showing name, just phone number. No text transcription of voice-mail message by e-mail or text."

I had Ooma, with lots of phone problems, expensive up-front equipment costs,
double the VOIPo monthly costs, and horrible support Stay away from this
company, especially if you're porting a number or using an AT&T 2-wire
modem-router. Then I had Vonage-no complaints except the price, $36+ per
month, including taxes and regulatory fees. Vonage may be a good choice if
you're making a high volume of international calls. VOIPo, for $165 for two
years ($6.88 per month), including taxes and regulatory fees is wonderful.
Excellent call quality, the best support in the industry (completely US
staff, knowledgeable, capable, cooperative and polite), no charge for
equipment (but you must return it upon termination of service) and almost
all the features you can imagine. The only features of which I am aware
that VOIPo doesn't offer are outgoing caller ID showing you name (it just
shows your number) and transcribed text of incoming voice mails by e-mail or
text (you do get e-mail and text voice-mail notifications, one of them with
the actual message attached as media file.) Unless these two features
deal-breakers for you, you really need to try VOIPo. Although, to get the
best price, you need to pay the two-year total up front, it is my
understanding there is no contract and you may cancel, with a pro rata
refund, at any time. For the first 30 days, I believe they offer a full
refund.

(review was emailed from domain ljzlaw.com)