VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by dasurber See Profile

• Location: Indianapolis,Marion,IN
Good "High Qualtiy, Great extra features, GREAT price"
Bad "Web site and documentation is a little weak"
Overall "Have recommended to several friends ..... Great Service and Company"

I have been on Voipo for about 6 months now. I did a 30 day trial about 2 years ago but they still had some early glitches (primarily with making calls to conference call lines) at that time. This time they seem very solid and the quality and value are very very high. I moved my from Vonage and ported my number over and everything went great. There were a couple of minor normal start up issues but Voipo support worked through quickly. The Grandstream adapter worked just fine for me.. up and running and making calls within 5 minutes. The advanced capability and flexibility via the Vpanel is what really makes this service valuable... the ability to set up Voipo to work with other phones or your own usage pattern and needs is almost infinite. Also like some of the beta features like the fax service...I have to FAX so rarely and this is a breeze to use when you are required by someone to send a fax. After about 4 months on the service I moved my other old ATT land line over to Voipo, that start-up with the second Voipo line went flawlessly and the porting happened quickly and no calls to anyone were required.

I have used Voipo on both my ATT DSL broadband and on my Comcast broadband and it has worked the same on both services with no noticeable difference on either. I have recommended and brought in half a dozen new users to Voipo.... so far all of them are happy with the service and the quality. I wish Voipo had a "user manual" or steps to start up online to help those folks who are less expert in their capability, I might be willing to recommend it to a few more people if that was there and I would know they wouldn't want to call me to help get them set up or troubleshoot. The FAQ's are not great for people who don't have much tech experience is my opinion after many years of helping others with tech challenges. Again overall Voipo is a great service and a great value and I hope they are able to be around for a long time and are able to grow and continue to provide the quality they have so far.

Now a few months later..... Nov 22 2011

While things went great for a few months now over the past couple of months the call completion quality has become an issue. Mostly issues of not being able to connect to other users of Voipo or issues of getting a fast busy signal on the first time trying to call someone and then having to redial the same number before it rings through to the other phone. Their troubleshooting with their tech people has been spotty and I have learned don't even bother trying to use the chat feature as those individuals don't seem to want to listen to what you are telling them is your issue. I saw this cycle a few years ago with Vonage as they grew they were not able to handle the traffic and the quality and call completion became an issue with them. I have stopped recommending this service to friends as I seem to have more issues trying to call Voipo users than I do users that are on other networks. I have adjusted the router as Voipo suggested and it solved the call quality issues there a few months ago. But the inability to complete calls with reliability has me concerned.

Comments:

Review by GeekJedi See Profile

• Location: Mukwonago,Waukesha,WI
Good "Great tech support, easy installation"
Bad "vPanel not real user friendly"
Overall "So far so good. They've impressed me!"

I'll keep this review updated best I can.

**Update 11/18/11**

Here's the best thing I can say about VOIPo: They announced their "Black Friday" promotion, which is a two year renewal for the price of one. I once again jumped on it, renewing my service out to June of 2015! I've been a happy customer since 2009, and didn't even give renewing a second thought. All I can say is that they've treated me well, and have provided excellent service at a great price. To be fair in my review, I'm not a "power user" looking to use thousands of minutes a month, rather we're an "average" family making a few calls a day. Even with that, it's a tremendous value. The bottom line is that I didn't hesitate to take the risk and extend our relationship out to three more years. Even if they were to (heaven forbid!) close up shop in a year, I'd feel that I've gotten my money's worth and then some.

**Update 6/17/11**

I signed up for VOIPo two years ago, and I can tell you that my only regret is that I hadn't signed up sooner. Full disclosure: We aren't heavy phone users. My wife and I have cell phones, but having a family there still is no substitute for a "house" phone for family and friends. So, there may have been random outages, but we really haven't noticed. It's worked every time we've needed it to - we do occasionally get a "bad" connection, but it's pretty rare. Having said that, their customer service has been PHENOMENAL!! When I first signed up I got their "Free number" that I got to keep in addition to my ported number. Later on I had added another number that was local to my parents. They allowed me to make that the free number and drop the original one, saving me the yearly fee. I've also signed up for their fax service with a local number. Again, don't use it a ton, but every time I've needed it it's worked great.

I love the service so much, that I took advantage of their "Cyber Monday" promo and renewed for two more years. I'm now good through 2013, and I wouldn't hesitate to renew for another two years if given a chance.

**Update 8/23**

I noticed in my vPanel that there was a special price if I chose to renew early for another year. After two months of great service, renewing at this price was a no-brainer. Good to know that I don't need to worry about a phone bill for almost 2 years! I also recently got a virtual number so that my in-laws can call us for free using a local number to them.

VOIPo seems to be launching several new, worthwhile updates as well, such as being able to assign a virtual number to the second port of the ATA, essentially giving you two lines. Also the ability to record calls and more. The service just keeps getting better and better, and I look forward to a continued great relationship with my VoIP provider.

I did hear that they're looking to redesign the vPanel - when that happens, I'll look at updating the Web-site rating.

**Update 7/15**

After a month, I can now comment on reliability. It's great! I've had one glitch, which was more related to my router, but started with a brief outage this morning. I can't say enough about VOIPo's support. They responded within 10 minutes of my request, and even acknowledged my "all-clear" email that I sent after a router reboot fixed my issue.

After dealing with the frustration that is Vonage support, it's refreshing to deal with support staff that are actually technically involved with the product instead of just reading scripts in a call center. Bravo!

---

After having Vonage for a while I decided it was time to save some money. I've always felt that while Vonage is very reliable, there's been very little innovation. In fact, it seems like they flat out refuse to improve their offerings.

While doing some research, one name came up over and over: VOIPo.

Just about everyone seems to be happy with their service. Looking at their plans online, I saw a great promotional deal - 1 year for $99 ($135 total with E911 fees and taxes) free activation, and free ATA. Three months of Vonage would cost me $90, so it looked like a good deal.

I ordered online on a Thursday, and received the ATA on the following Monday. Plugged the box into my router and got dial tone. Incoming and outgoing calls work great so far, and the quality has been better than Vonage in my opinion.

Here's the part I really liked. I had a hard time accessing their customer forums last Friday, so I sent an email to customer support. I got a reply within 10 minutes that the problem was solved! Unbelievable!

So I begin a new chapter with VOIPo. To be fair, I am leaving the reliability score blank, since I haven't had them long enough to make that determination. The other scores so far are fair. The account control panel (vPanel) is very powerful, but not very intuitive. It does get the job done, however, so I give it an average mark. Everything else so far has been very good.

member for 13.3 years, 5244 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Chester2 See Profile

• Location: Menlo Park,San Mateo,CA
Good "Inexpensive, 2-lines, Buttload of features"
Bad "Can't fax, wiring all home phones takes time and thought"
Overall "I'm saving $40+ a month by dumping AT&T"

·Comcast Business..
My home phone bill had grown to $45+ a month: $20 phone, +$10 Caller ID, +$8.50 AT&T LD access, +$4.50 fees/taxes, +a few dollars of toll calls when I forget to dial with Google Voice. To me this is way too much. I wanted to keep my old number that everyone has and I like using the nice speakerphone on my desk but not for $45 a month! Time to look into VOIP.

I did a lot of research comparing prices and features of the many VOIP providers. I narrowed the field down to: Obihai, Phone Power, Callcentric, Ooma and VOIPo. In the end I chose VOIPo because of their low price, good features, and they look like they will stay around a while.

VOIPo's cost works out to about $7.40 a month. $149 for 2 years pre-pay, +$36 fees/taxes totals $185 for 2 years service. Plus, I found a coupon for a free month service on the web so I got 25 months for $185.

I marked VOIPo down for its website. The documentation is poor. Some features are totally undocumented and when they are it is difficult to find. There is a user forum but it appears that the VOIPo staff doesn't read it often as questions often go unanswered there.

I placed my order late Thursday night. Friday I received an email that my ATA had shipped. I received it Monday (signature required). I initially installed the device on my desk next to my computer. Following the simple instructions I had a dial tone in under 5 minutes. I was sent a Grandstream HT502 ATA. I'm told they often send Linksys PAP2T devices which don't have a second Ethernet port. If you don't an empty port on your router or any router at all ask for the Grandstream when you order.

I placed my ATA between my router and PC and using its web interface put it into bridge mode. I changed some settings on my Netgear router that are supposed to improve call quality. I assigned the Grandstream a reserved IP and placed it in DMZ. I also disabled SIP ALG.

Quality of my first calls were mixed. A call to my wife was fine. A call to my mom was garbled she said she couldn't hear what I was saying. A call to my friend was dropped (could have been his crappy cell service). Because of this I was initially a little leary of switching to VOIP but after a day or so everything smoothed out and calls have been great since. If I make back to back calls land line and VOIP I can hear a small reduction of quality in the VOIP call but it is small enough that you wouldn't notice without listening to one right after the other. I made a call with bittorrent running (throttled to about 90% of my broadband capacity up and down) and the call went perfectly.

VOIPo has a 30-day money back policy so I took advantage of that to test my service. You are given a temporary number to use while you are waiting for you old number to port over. I held off sending in my porting documents until I was sure I liked the service.

The temporary number I was sent didn't work. It was in use by someone else. I submitted a support ticket after hours Monday night and receive a reply that it was being looked into that night. The next morning I was given a new number and all was well. A small foul up on their end but Tech Support is excellent.

I installed structured wiring in my home years ago with all the phone jacks coming off a Levetron patch panel. I moved my ATA to the wiring cabinet and from there I can plug it into any/all of my home phones. I used a L1/L2 splitter backwards to connect the two lines coming out of the ATA to one 4-wire phone line. This way I can plug a 2-line phone into a wall jack and have both lines on the phone work. I have my modem/router/ATA on a UPS in the cabinet. This will help keep my phones going in a power outage or as long as Comcast keeps my Internet connection working.

FAX - So far I haven't been able to make my fax modem work. Fax isn't supported by VOIPo but many people say it works. When trying to receive a fax I get a "No receiver protocol (T.30 T1 timeout)" error. VOIPo does offer a free outgoing fax service from the control panel. You can purchase a dedicated fax to email phone number for $36 a year. I'm giving the free Voxox service a try for faxing.

Features - There are a ton of them. Many I will never use. Some I don't even know what they are (back to the poor VOIPo documentation). I really like the cloned second line, Caller ID (of course), Voicemail with email and SMS notification. I haven't used the call routing/blocking features yet but I'm sure I will.

After a week with VOIPo I am happy enough to stay. I sent in my papers to port my phone number over and pull the plug on my AT&T land line. My port is supposed to be done next Tuesday. I'll post how it goes.

===== UPDATE: Tuesday, Sept. 13, 2011

Sun. 9-5 I scanned and emailed the porting paperwork to VOIPo (a form and copy of my last phone bill). The same day I received an email from VOIPo confirming receipt of the documents. You also have the option of faxing the documents but email is easier for me.

Mon. 9-6 I received an email for VOIPo saying that I had a FOC date of Tues. 9-13 for completion of my number port.

Tues. 9-13 Sometime during the day my landline stopped ringing and my VOIP phone started ringing. My land line still has a dial tone, perhaps so I can call 911 on it.

Number porting took about a week and was painless. Call quality is not as good as my land line but for the money I'm saving I'll deal with it. I'll continue playing with my ATA & network configuration and hopefully I can improve the call quality. So far still happy.

===== UPDATE: Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011

I've been using VOIPo as my main phone service for a couple of weeks now and I am still very happy. The initial call quality problems haven't returned. I bumped the Call Quality rating a notch to reflect this. Calls are quite good with the exception of a light background hiss that only occurs when no one is talking. It goes away as soon as any party speaks.

I really like being able to use my phone and not think about "toll calls" and having to use Google Voice to dial calls.

I've never been able to get my fax modem to work with VOIPo. The good news is that VOIPo offers free outbound faxing that works fine. I signed up with Voxox.com and got a free phone number that among other things does free incoming fax-to-email.

One small annoyance I've come across is a pause after dialing. After dialing *69 it takes at least 10 seconds before a connection is made. At first I thought the feature didn't work but found out I just wasn't being patient enough.

Comments:

Review by rickyratz See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Phone Service Seems Good. Support Does Respond"
Bad "Number Porting - Support Personnel Do Not Seem Qualified"
Overall "So Far, This Has Been A Nightmare."

----------------------------------------- UPDATE 2011-09-09 -----------------------------------------

I have been using VOIPo as my main phone line for enough time now to be able to comment on the quality of service.

As you will read below I had endured a problem transferring my phone number from Vonage to VOIPo and had experienced some frustration in dealing with the support operations of both companies.

Here is my evaluation based upon my experience:

1. CALL QUALITY - VOIPo's quality of service is vastly superior to Vonage. I wish I had switched earlier.

2. BLACK LISTING - VOIPo offers the ability to black list or white list numbers or have the system emulate a busy signal or a line disconnection in response to specific incoming phone numbers. This is very useful when you receive a lot of unsolicited sales calls or your name is identical to someone who is being sought by debt collectors who will not accept the fact that you are not the person they are looking for.

3. FEATURES - VOIPo seems to be very proactive in developing some very useful control panel features which have never been offered by Vonage such as "Bring Your Own Device".

4. VONAGE SUPPORT - Vonage support was not even interested in helping me with my number transfer even though I had been a loyal customer for four years. I had to search the internet for hours just to find the email address of the support team which deals with PORT OUT because customer service told me that this department does not even exist and that Vonage has nothing to do with PORT OUT, only PORT IN. Even then I did not receive a response for several days.

5. VOIPo SUPPORT - VOIPo support does respond very quickly. My frustration was caused I think because the support structure had not been assigning just one or two people to the problem until it was completely resolved. They kept closing support tickets too quickly. I think that this has been changed since then because once I was able to notify the owner of VOIPo of my problem (Try to do that with Vonage :-P) the quality of the support increased dramatically.

It seemed to me that my support ticket was personally supervised by the owner himself along with a very experienced support person. Also, the owner seems to be intimately familiar with even the smallest details of telecom and VOIP.

My number transfer difficulty had been caused I think by the fact that VOIP providers, including Vonage, must rely upon multiple levels of service providers and thus do not have direct control over the number transfer process.

After my transfer was complete, the owner of the company personally emailed to thank me for my patience and to tell me that he had updated the start date of my service to accommodate the technical difficulty which I had experienced.

I am very thankful that I had come across the article on the internet which had recommended VOIPo for my primary phone line.

Jeffrey Puckett
Las Vegas, NV

====================== Original Post Below ======================

Rather than reiterating the details I have simply copied the relevant support tickets so that the readers may decide for themselves.

I would appreciate any constructive comments which may help me to resolve this issue.

The basic problem is that a simple number PORT from Vonage to VOIPo has become a complete nightmare; and it seems to me that the support team at VOIPo lacks the experience necessary to handle the "complexities" of a modern telecommunications system.

I do however still have a positive impression of VOIPo. My only problem has been the experience I have endured in dealing with the customer support team. It seems that they are so eager to close out tickets and move on the the next task that they do not pay attention to solving the core issues with which the customer is troubled.

My Sincere Thanks To This Community Forum

Support Ticket Details:

Ticket ID: OJW-752701
Subject: Re: Status of Number Transfer From Vonage

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 02:26PM 07/03/2011

Do you have any indication on the timeframe to complete the number
transfer from Vonage?

From: Cody C (support@voipo.com) 12:12PM 07/05/2011

Your number is set to port in on 7/11/2011 no later than 7pm your
time. Please ensure that the adapter is connected on this day to
start receiving calls.

Cody C

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 02:15PM 07/05/2011

Do I need to contact Vonage to close the account. If so, when
should I do that?

From: Erik H (erik.hilburn@voipo.com) 03:29PM 07/05/2011

Hello Jeffrey,

You can close your account with Vonage after you have tested the
number on the Voipo network. Once everything is working as it
should you can then cancel the Vonage account.

Erik H.

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 11:02AM 07/13/2011

My local number has apparently not been transferred from Vonage.
I tried calling 702-822-**** from a phone outside of both Vonage
and Voipo networks and the call went to the Vonage box. Can you
please check this for me and tell me if there is anything I need
to do?

From: Erik H (erik.hilburn@voipo.com) 12:50PM 07/13/2011

Have you cancelled the account with Vonage yet? If you have not
cancelled yet it can cause the problems you are experiencing since
the number is active on both networks.

Erik H

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 02:19PM 07/13/2011

Ok. I will close the Vonage Account today.

From: VOIPo
To: rickyratz@yahoo.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:50 PM
Subject: [#OJW-752701]: Re: Status of Number Transfer From Vonage

Have you cancelled the account with Vonage yet? If you have not
cancelled yet it can cause the problems you are experiencing since
the number is active on both networks.

Erik H

Priority: Requests Handled in Order Received
Status: Pending Customer Response

From: Wally Mohmood (support@voipo.com) 02:28PM 07/13/2011

Hello,

Thank you for your email. I will close this ticket, please let us
know if there is anything else.

Wally M.
Technical Support

»www.VOIPo.com

Ticket ID: ZXJ-249742
Subject: Problem With Vonage

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 03:11PM 07/27/2011

I just talked with Vonage.

They seem to not know what they are talking about regarding number
transfers.

I told them about the problem I am having with transferring the
number and that you had suggested that there is a network conflict
and that I would need to cancel my Vonage service to resolve this
conflict.

Normally, a phone company would cancel the service once the number
has transferred out so my feeling is from reading complaints about
Vonage is that they are purposefully trying to delay the number
transfer.

Can you please help me investigate this problem?

The person I spoke with said that there is a third party involved
in the number transfers. So, there must be an objective record of
the request and also some procedure for resolving this issue.

The person at Vonage kept alluding to the idea that if I cancelled
my service then I might have to resubscribe just to be able to
transfer the number out.

I can see why Vonage has such a poor reputation.

Thank you.

From: Jamil Zmary (jamil.zmary@voipo.com) 03:32PM 07/27/2011

Hello,

Thank you for your email.
I am requesting a status update on your case.
We will send you an update once more information becomes available.
Please contact us with any questions or concerns.

Have a nice day.

Jamil Zmary

Ticket ID: FUZ-242822
Subject: LNP From Vonage

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 10:04AM 07/28/2011

I have been researching this issue regarding the failed port out of
Vonage.

There is a procedure whereby VOIPO can take control over my number
without begging cooperation from Vonage. Do you know what this
procedure is?

Then my only task would be to demand from Vonage that they remove my
number from their DID Database.

Finally, I am preparing a formal complaint against Vonage with the
FCC and would like to try to document as much of this as I can.
Do you have any written record which you could provide me regarding
this LNP transfer?

Under the current FCC regulations, Vonage is required to port out
with one day; so nearly a two month delay certainly is in violation
of federal law and I intend to seek compensation.

I know: "Good Luck;" but at least I can try.

Any information and assistance with this would be greatly
appreciated.

From: Clay G (clay.gorman@voipo.com) 10:46AM 07/28/2011

Hello,

Unfortunately, that rule only applies to what are considered
"simple ports" by the FCC. When a small VoIP provider like us is
in the mix, those rules don't come into play because it's
automatically a "complex port".

Thanks

Best regards,
Clay G
VOIPo Customer Care

Thanks for choosing VOIPo, The Likable Phone Company.

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 11:14AM 07/28/2011

Ok. Fair enough; but how do we proceed? I would like to complete
this port before August 5th or else Vonage is going to whack me $32
for another month.

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 01:21PM 07/28/2011

Ok. I intend to call Vonage again today using a different contact
number which I found on the internet. If that does not work, then
one way or another I will get through to someone above the typical
customer service idiot at Vonage.

What I need to know from you are some details regarding the number
porting, such as:

1) Did the number officially port according to your records?

2) What is the name of this mysterious "third party" which the
person at Vonage kept referring to?

3) Are there any reference numbers which may be helpful to me in
my call to Vonage?

4) Does my problem simply result from Vonage not removing my number
from it's DID Database?

5) Any other information which you feel could b helpful.

From: Kyle Kirchner (support@voipo.com) 03:17PM 07/28/2011

1) We have received no updates, nor an FOC date for the number to
port to us. Searching our number base reveals nothing for this
number. This number has not been ported to us.

2) We have an underlying carrier who does our porting for us. We
prepare all the materials and they transfer the numbers. This
is a routine procedure.

3) They should be able to look up the port by the DID, which is
your phone number, 702822****.

4) We have experienced issues in the past when Vonage does not
remove the DID from their database, but this only effects
Vonage customers. Caller's receive a disconnect message rather
than ringing through to the number. In this case, we do not even
have the number ported to us, so all parties are effected.

5) We have not received any updates from Vonage since the port was
submitted. The original requested date was 7/11/2011 and there
has been no update, even after a manual request by one of our
agents. I do not know if the number is simply in limbo, or why
it has not received attention, but it has not been ported, and
calls are obviously still routing to Vonage.

Please let us know if you require any additional information or
assistance

Kyle Kirchner

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 03:29PM 07/28/2011

Ok. Thank you for the update. Now, I need to port this number.

So, what can I do to make it happen? And what can you do?

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 03:43PM 07/28/2011

Here is one thing I have found in one of the forums:

"Vonage, like virtually all VoIP providers and even some cable
companies, isn't a LEC so they are not involved in the port
process at all. If Vonage isn't replying to the port request that
is because it has been submitted to the wrong party. If a port was
correctly submitted by the new (winning) provider, there would be
a jeopardy code returned by the service bureau which indicates the
exact reason for failure. If your new provider cannot provide you
with a jeopardy code, then they or their underlying carrier likely
have not processed the port request correctly."

Note the last sentence regarding the "Jeopardy Code". If you have
not received this code then most likely someone did not process
the port request correctly.

Maybe someone at VOIPo can help me track this down because Vonage,
being the losing carrier, is doing everything it can to cause
trouble for me. I used to think they were a good company even when
the call quality began to deteriorate; but now I am convinced that
they are a bunch of jackasses who just want to cheat their
customers.

>_

From: Kyle Kirchner (support@voipo.com) 07:32AM 07/29/2011

Hello,

That is correct. If there is a wrong name, address, account number,
etc the losing carrier will respond saying there is a name and
address mismatch, or whatever the problem is.

In this case, we have not received any updates. No accepts or
rejects, even after a manual status request.

I think it would be best to cancel the port and resubmit. This way
it will arrive again as a new port, with a new ID on their side.
I'm not sure if this has been done before because there has been
so much time for this single port. If their justification is that
it was submitted incorrectly, then we will simply verify that it is
being sent correctly and follow up on whatever reply we get.

Would you like to try this?
Or would you like to try something else?

Please advise

Kyle Kirchner

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 08:21AM 07/29/2011

"Would you like to try this? Or would you like to try something
else?" -- Kyle Kirchner, VOIPo

Are you asking me what you should do? I think you should hire me
as a consultant to help your company clean up its support
operation.

Two months ago I subscribed to your service and submitted a
request for my number to be PORTed over.

Then weeks went by without update information. So, I finally
inquired and the reply I received was that the PORT-IN was
scheduled for July 11th. After that date my incoming calls were
still going to Vonage. So, I asked your crack support team what
the problem was.

Apparently your support personnel are in such a hurry to close out
tickets that they do not even bother to investigate something as
simple as "Did the number PORT-IN yet according to schedule?"

So, the response I received from VOIPo was that Vonage had not
yet cleared my number from its database and that I should call
to close my account at Vonage.

Ok. That makes sense.

Unfortunately, I did not realize that I was actually working for
VOIPo and not this other company that pays me.

Silly me.

So, I put off the call to Vonage because of an urgent project
at my "other" job.

Then when I finally had the time to devote to the Vonage problem,
because I had heard horrible stories about people trying to close
their Vonage accounts and had wanted to be fully prepared, I then
learned that the problem of my fail to PORT-OUT was going to be
much more serious.

Only after I had devoted a lot of time and energy to researching
the problem and conveying my findings to VOIPo did the support
team at VOIPo even bother to investigate whether the number had
actually PORTed-IN.

So, now you are asking me what you should do?

Of course, you know that I want to PORT this number over to VOIPo
so that I can stop paying $32 a month for continually degrading
service. My problem now is that I only have a week left before
they whack me again $32 for yet another month of "service" and
you are saying that the only thing you can think of is to start
all over again?

How about starting off by saying, "Sorry we screwed up, how can we
make it up to you?"

Now, please tell me what my complete list of options and the
timetables for each. Then maybe I will be in a position to make
a rational choice.

UPDATES: August 3rd, 2011 11:14 AM

From: James J (support@voipo.com) 10:37AM 07/29/2011

We have escalated this with our underlying carrier. A response is pending.
We'll provide an update once new information becomes available on the transfer
request.

Thank you and our apologies for any inconvenience,
James

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 10:56AM 07/29/2011

Thank you for your assistance.

I am truly appreciative.

From: Hamid M (support@voipo.com) 12:57PM 07/29/2011

Your welcome,

We appreciate your patience with this matter.
Glad we are able to be of assistance to you.
Please contact us with any questions.

Thanks!

Hamid M

*****************************************

From: VOIPo (support@voipo.com) 06:19PM 08/01/2011

Our carrier partner (Bandwidth.com) still has a ticket open with XO
Communications to see what the hold up is. Vonage is a reseller for XO in your
area so the number is with XO.

We will update you when we have more information, but at this point our hands
are tied since all we can do is wait on XO to get back to our carrier and coordinate
the release.

From: Jeffrey Puckett (rickyratz@yahoo.com) 08:34AM 08/02/2011

Thank you for the update. Attached is the response which I received from Vonage.

Perhaps there is some information which you could provide which would enabled
them to work on this problem from their end as well.

*****************************************

From: "portout@vonage.com"
To: rickyratz@yahoo.com
Sent: Monday, August 1, 2011 9:30 AM
Subject: [vonage.com #26367387] Re: 702-822-6215 Port Out

Dear Jeffrey Puckett,

We understand that you would like to transfer your number to a new carrier.
First I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused to you. Please
understand that Vonage does not play a role in transferring a number to another
carrier. We have partnered with 3rd party carriers who own the number and it is
between our 3rd party partner carrier and your new carrier to which the number is
to be transferred that dealings take place. Please advise your new carrier to submit
a port request to our 3rd party provider to start the transfer. If your new carrier is
unsure as to where to send their request, please have your carrier contact us at
portout@vonage.com and we will provide that information to them.

If this request has already been made, then I will need for you supply me with the
EGAIN tracking number or Port ID. This 7 digit numeric number would have been
given to your new carrier when they first submitted the port request to our 3rd party
provider. Once you provide me with this number, I will be able to resume my
research into your number transfer. We sincerely do apologize for any
inconvenience that may have been caused.

If you have any questions, your Vonage team is available to assist you 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week. Contact us whenever and however it suits you!

- On-Line Help Center at »www.vonage.com/help.php
- Contact Us at »www.vonage.com/help_contactus.php
- Or call Toll-Free at 1-VONAGE-HELP (1-866-243-4357)

Thanks again for choosing Vonage, a better phone service for less!

Sincerely,
LNP Port Out Department

============================================================

Comments:

Review by scott2020 See Profile

• Location: El Dorado Springs,Cedar,MO
Good "Great customer service, great call quality, easy"
Bad "Web control panel a little confusing"
Overall "Recent growing pains and attacks but still great service"

UPDATE 9/7/11

After several years I am porting out of VOIPo, and it pains me to say that. I really like their service, features, and price. However, my needs are to call rural areas and over the past 9 months or more, it has been very hit and miss. I put in several tickets and they do their best to fix things, and sometimes calls go through and sound great, but eventually things revert back to trouble. I get a lot of 1 way audio, garbled sound, calls ring on my end but not on the other, strange caller ID to the destination, and many other issues. However, using the same exact equipment on my end but using another provider, everything sounds great. I wish them the best and they are a great company, but the WAF is at a low with the rural area calling so I have to move on.

===========

UPDATE 8/20/09

A few short term outages here and there, but nothing major that wasn't fixed very quickly. Customer service is extremely fast to respond and have been helpful. The Linksys adapters they have converted to have solved many issues. They are now working on additional features to make the service even better now that some of the growing pains have been resolved. They also switched data center co-location providers which has helped their service reliability. VOIPo should be on the top of your list of providers to evaluate!

============

Recent growing pains, firmware updates, and mishaps have started to give VOIPo a bad rap. I would encourage people to give them a try. There will always be a small percentage of customer base that do nothing but complain, just like with everything else in the world. The simple fact is you must try for yourself and see how it works in your environment. If it doesn't work, they will happily refund your money and you can move on. I had problems with the Grandstream adapter but no problems with the Linksys PAP2. They also now allow some BYOD on a limited basis. They continue to have great support, call quality, and great features. They also changed to another datacenter provider which will help reliability greatly. Don't hesitate to give VOIPo a try.

I have been with VOIPo for 3 months now, and I must say it just works. I am a VOIP hobbyist admittedly, and I like to tinker with BYOD providers like most on this forum, so I was reluctant to try them after I found VOIPo was gearing toward plug and play customers. However, I signed up and received the Grandstream ATA, plugged it in, and it just worked. CNAM works so I can see the name of people calling me, voicemail works, all of my calling features work. There are a few minor bugs to squash as with any beta system, but the staff at VOIPo really are responsive to any problems. Voice quality has been excellent both inbound and outbound. Other providers I have tried almost always have some delay, echo, and other strangeness at some point but I have not had this with VOIPo. The web control panel is excellent, with many options for setting up call controls, voicemail options, custom caller ID for incoming calls, and many others. It really has been great (especially for my wife!) to have a great provider with a service that just works. I ported my main number to VOIPo which took just under 3 weeks. Best of luck to them, and I highly recommend.

member for 6.2 years, 1678 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by BlueJane See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "Customer Service, Voice Quality, and Phone Features"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "If you are on the fence on which company to choose, pick VOIPo!!"

I am in the process of ordering VOIP from VOIPo, and so far everything has gone very smooth.

Comments:

Review by hatfieldfios See Profile

• Location: Hatfield,Montgomery,PA
Good "Great quality and features at a very low price"
Overall "Low cost great service"

I switched from Vonage to VOIPo and loving the service and support. From order to live was in 15 days including number porting and service has been great since then. No outages and great features such as SIP, Voicemail and BYOD. At ~$5/month its the best reliable service you will ever find anywhere with quickest response from support. I was paying ~$35/month previously.

member for 9.6 years, 1099 visits, last login: 2.3 years ago

Comments:

Review by thunder15 See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Price, Service, Support Staff, Features Pack"
Bad "Their control panel is not so intuitive or easy to navigate around"
Overall "Deliver what is advertised"

After reading about VoIP and read the reviews on DSLreports.com, I took the plunge and moved my parent's landline with AT&T (had 18 years of service with them) over to VOIPO back in August 2010. The process was painless. It took about a week for the porting process to finish. VOIPO was in communication with us all during that time. We can also check via their website on our status.
I can't say more about how excellent experience I had with their technical staff. They are professional and patience. I can email them or pick up the phone and talk to a live human being.

My parent have not complained so far about the quality or service since the move. Which means, VOIPO is the same or even better than our existing landline service. My parent appreciated the calling ID feature very much.

In my own experience, I love the features of VOIPO, especially their BYOD option. I traveled to some countries in Asia and Africa and was able to use my own VoIP softphone to call back to the US either via the computer or smartphone clearly.

After signing up, I was able to use the SIP credentials to make calls ON THE SAME DAY! The adapter arrived 2 or 3 days later, all setup and ready to go. We live in California. It was sent from Texas.

I have to say that my Internet connection/service plays a big factor also. Even in places where the Internet connection is slow, the stability of the service helped to maintain clear calls.

The price is great, especially with a year-long contract. It is the best bang for the buck I have spent so far this year. I am not going back to landline again. There is even a 30-day guarantee.

Take my word for what it's worth. I have been studying and using technology since the mid 90's. I can honestly say that this company is not perfect, but they doing something very right. Check out their forum also if you don't believe me.

My own website: »searchformission.com

member for 6.7 years, 455 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bnbhoha See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "Cheap, acceptable customer service, free calls to canada and US"
Bad "echos sometimes and disconnects"
Overall "Good value for the money, could be more reliable"

I've had VOIP for 2.5 years now. Initially I was having problems then they upraded me to the linksys PAP (I think they have a router version now). During the past couple of years I've had minor problems which they corrected by moving me to different servers and trouble shooting online (mostly echos and caller ID problems and phone not able to make calls to certain numbers). Occasionally, I would hear echoes intermittently, but it's Voice over IP, so I figured it comes with the territory. Customer service, depending when you call, can have long waits.

Recently, I've been have an interesting issue. When I hang up, a few minutes later the other party would receive multiple calls from me, even though I didn't call them. And when a party calls me and hangs up (I never called them at all), they would receive multiple calls from my line. I called customer service and they created a ticket. 4 minutes later I receive an e-mail asking if I'm still experiencing the problem. Really?

Overall, the price is right. Customer service could be a tad bit better. Call quality is acceptable and hopefully the problems could be ironed out. I just regret renewing for another two years for the special rate. If this new problem doesn't resolve itself in the next few days, I would have like to move on. It's rather embarrassing to have your phone call some multiple times, especially if you don't know the person that well. Voipo seems to be getting a lot of positive reviews and my problem might just be an isolated incident.

Comments:

Review by dxhelinski See Profile

• Location: Broken Arrow,Wagoner,OK
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (999 month contract)
Good "Price, Voice Quality, Construction"
Bad "none"
Overall "Excellent"

Cost of the hardware is high, but can make it up in 6 months of standard land line. Would recommend

member for 12.9 years, 389 visits, last login: 3.5 years ago