VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by NY Tel See Profile

• Location: Smithtown,Suffolk,NY
Good "It just works!"
Bad "Have not found any yet"
Overall "This one is a winner"

April 6th UPDATE:

I am very pleased with the value, service and quality of what Voipo is providing.
I have had very little downtime and any issues that did crop up, were taken care of with adequate follow-through, and in a timely manner.

If speed to resolution is important, Voipo seems to have a good handle on following through on problem resolution and is very proactive in doing so.

So I am still happy.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Original review:
I currently use many VOIP services, some as a tester and some as a real end user.
There have been many companies that have come and gone but VOIPO will definitely not be one of those.

I continue to be impressed with the unparalleled commitment to service and performance as VOIPO. Taking cues from some other less than successful companies, VOIPO has been able to take all of the information it gathers and actually put it into a viable business plan.
The novel part about them is that they actually listen to the customer, take suggestions (good and bad criticism) and adjust their product and service offering to help them meet the needs of the Voice over IP market.

Let's face it, most VOIP users want inexpensive, excellent, reliable phone service.
VOIPO is the closest thing to filling that tall order.
It is worth your while to investigate them as soon as they make the service available in "wide release".

Comments:

Review by FrankD1 See Profile

• Location: San Carlos,San Mateo,CA
Good "Customer-centered business model, top notch voice quality"
Bad "Service currently going through shake-down, encountering unexpected problems and points of failure"
Overall "Great choice for techies, should be great choice for general public once shake-down progresses"

Was previously AT&T CV user for 2 years prior. Very satisfied with CV, but APPARENT sunsetting of CV platform prompted me to start looking at alternatives.

VOIPo had/has a very loyal following due to their exceptional customer service, and that has 100% been my experience as well.

Installation had some minor glitches- VOIPo ran out of HS-502s right when I signed up (distributor closed for Chinese New Year), so I was in first batch to receive non-BYOD PAP2T. Wasn't plug and play; provisioning server was not pre-populated in ATA, but quick call to tech support had it running in minutes. Also had weird ring pattern for a few weeks. Eventual push of new wave-form file resolved the issue.

Overall, voice quality has been spectacular. CV had set high expectations for me, but gratefully VOIPo voice quality was just as good as people were raving... exceeding CV IMO. One voice quality item though, and might be "audible illusion" rather than real issue: first few weeks of service with VOIPo, and voice quality was close to perfect- reminded me of extension to extension calls on quality PBX. Over time, I started noticing occasional slight echoes, and digital "fuzz" in voice reproduction. Still great quality overall, but not what I remembered from first weeks. In the past week, I noticed a posting on an unrelated problem for another customer, and Tim offering to move customer's RTP proxying from Level3 gateways to VOIPo facilities. I asked Tim if I could try this as well. After getting confirmation email that config was changed and I rebooted the ATA, the echoes and fuzz were gone. It's only been about 5 days since the reconfigure, but call quality has remained virtually perfect for those 5 days, so you might want to request this option.

There have been some system glitches in the 2 months I've been with them. They're always quick to fix the problem, but I think they're inevitable problems that any company with any new system encounters, especially when systems and vendors don't perform/behave as spec'd (I know they had a two year BETA, but some problems statistically will only show up as the customer/call volume increases). I'm not being apologetic for VOIPo, and I'm not comfortable recommending VOIPo to my non-techie friends and family right now. But as long as they can maintain their current commitment to customer service, which appears to be one of their bedrock principles, I'm pretty confident they'll have most of the issues shaken out quickly, and it will be a true plug and play service I could recommend to my folks.

I'll update this in the near future to recap the shakedown.

UPDATE: 4/5/09

Still very happy with VOIPo in general, even though they are still undergoing "shakedown". To their credit, they are fixing problems quickly... it's just that as customer and call volume is increasing, they are encountering new problems that they were relatively immune to in their ealier days. But, their customer/tech service is still top notch, and they're putting good fixes (not band-aids) on these new problems, so I'm hopeful they'll soon be "over the hump" and the problems will taper off. Just to be clear, calls have been 99.5% reliable and clear for me. The only problems I've been encountering lately is VM glitches, but they're quick to fix them, and from what's been announced, the VM glitches are a side affect of network redesign/migration to more secure and robust facilities (they've been encountering some DDOS-like attacks, so they're becoming more of a target for the miscreants with too much time on their hands). So, at this time, still a great product for techies, should be great product for the masses soon. More updates to follow in a few weeks.

member for 11.2 years, 1621 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by wagnerb See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Alternative to over-priced POTS"
Bad "Lack of user manual for account management application"
Overall "All around excellent service"

I was one of the VoiceWing users that was summarily dropped back in January 2009. After looking for another VOIP provider, I stumbled across VOIPO. Did some preliminary research using reviews and decided to go with VOIPO.

Signed up in January 2009 and about a week later, got a LinkSys phone adapter. The porting process wasn't clear when signing up since the application process suggested it was automatic. However, after looking at the FAQs on the Web site, there was more to it and after contacting support, I indeed had to submit port request and copy of VW bill.

On day service was activated, I plugged up the adapter and could not make calls. I tried dialing in with cell phone and it rang through, but when answering could not hear caller, but caller could hear. A call to support resolved the issue.

The adapter is behind a LinkSys BEFSR41 v4.3 router that is in default configuration. This configuration (behind a router) has posed no problems for me.

The service has been consistent, sound quality is near or at POTS, and service disruption has been negligible, if any disruption at all. The account management application takes some getting used to since there is no user manual and a limited FAQ. I'm assuming this is forthcoming given it's coming out of beta testing.

Again, the service has been great. Support, when used, has responded in a reasonable time and resolved any issue presented.

Comments:

Review by brodster See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Price, features, voice quality."
Bad "First adapter was faulty."
Overall "After rocky start, smooth sailing!"

Update, 4/4/09

Service has been rock-solid reliable for months now. I'm very pleased with the level of service... so much so, that I've prepaid for another year of service, extending into 2011! I've also talked my parents into porting their landline over to VOIPo. As an added benefit, I discovered by accident that VOIPo now has numbers in Crystal River FL (where my mother-in-law lives), so I was able to move my virtual number to there for no charge! As they say "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". I'm very glad to say that momma's very happy!

_________________________________________________________________

Background

First, let me begin by saying that I’m not your average dslreports VOIP user. My family shares one landline, one cellular phone, and we get our TV via an antenna on the roof. Our one luxury has been DSL from Bellsouth, now ATT. We’re all about saving money, as we’re a single income family, and look to cut corners financially wherever possible.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of using VOIP – my brother has been a Vonage customer for years, and has had nothing but good things to say about it. Since my basic phone line ran in the neighborhood of $26/ month, even the most expensive VOIP services would be the same, or cheaper, with included long distance and all the bells and whistles. The holdup, for a while, was that DSL was not offered without voice. Once that was rolled out in my area, I began to look into it seriously. Still, ATT charges an extra $5/ month for the privilege of a dry line, but the VOIP savings would (hopefully) make up the difference.

Taking the first step

So, I set the process in motion. I ordered a new dry DSL line installed on the second copper pair leading to my house, and then turned to choosing a VOIP provider. Since my brother highly recommended Vonage, that was the natural choice for me as well. In fact, I probably would’ve signed up with them (they offer service credits for referring a friend), if it wasn’t for their rate hike. I was all set to sign up for the $15.00 500 min./ month plan, until when I went back to the site to do the deed, it was then $18! So, I began to see what else is out there, which led me to dslreports.com. The highest rated service was for a company with the strange name of VOIPo. As I looked into it, it seemed almost too good to be true - $99 for a year of unlimited service, ATA provided free, 2 lines included, free virtual number, 30 day guarantee, and the list went on. I discovered VOIPo and signed up that same evening. (I had to break it to my brother that he won’t be getting a free month with Vonage!)

Excitement…then frustration

I could hardly wait for my phone adapter to arrive. Luckily, it came only 2-3 days later, and I immediately hooked it up to my network, and made my first VOIP call! How cool is that… I’m talking over the internet! (I’m easily impressed…) I set up a separate phone in the house to test the line, encouraging my wife to use it for long distance to see how it works. Unfortunately, I started having intermittent problems right away – here’s the list:

1. incoming calls not ringing through

2. calls sounding horribly garbled and static

3. no dialtone

4. hanging up phone after call, and phone rings with no-one there.

5. fast busy signals incoming and outgoing

I had lots of tickets open to correct these problems, and each fix seemed to last for a short while, then problems would crop up again. God bless them, the techs at VOIPo seemed to try everything; different servers, proxies, STUN, and I tried numerous different network configurations on my side. All changes seemed to work for a while, then, not. Then it dawned on me – could it be a bad ATA? After each fix, I would do a power cycle, which would fix the problem, for a few hours, or even a day. I mentioned this to them, and they gladly agreed to overnight me a new adapter to try. Meanwhile, I had applied to port our current landline to VOIPo, and I knew it would go through any day. It just so happened that our port happened on a Thursday, and the new adapter arrived the same day. I plugged it in, hopeful, and waited. No dialtone. Unplug. Wait. Plug back in. No dialtone. Fool with DMZ/ port forwarding settings on my modem. No dice. It was after hours for tech support, so I submitted a ticket, and went to bed, disgusted.

Success – at last!

The next day, I got home from work, and got on the phone with tech support, determined to get phone service restored to our home. Finally, after an hour of work, the tech discovered that the new Linksys ATA had a bad auto-provisioning script. Once corrected, it hooked right up, and I was in business. I have now been trouble free for about two weeks now, and let me tell you, it is a beautiful thing. I love Caller ID! I love getting my phone messages via email! I love not getting a busy signal when I call my wife and she’s talking to a friend! (I know what you’re thinking, call waiting has been around since the 80’s, right?) Like I said, it doesn’t take much to impress me.

Getting the most out of VOIP

OK, so you know that I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this VOIP thing, but I’m also a tinker-er; I like to mess with things to see what happens. So, my first question was “how can I make the most of the two lines VOIPo offers?” It makes sense to have an extra phone lying around so that two different phone conversations can take place at once, since we have that capability. I have a feeling that this will become increasingly more important as my children (ages 7, 5, 2, and 9 months) get older and discover the joys of talking on the phone. So, I found an inexpensive two line phone on Ebay to play with. My question was, how will a two line phone react to VOIP service? When a call comes in, both lines ring simultaneously, so I wondered how a two line phone would deal with that. As it turns out, it’s perfect – when a call comes in, both lines light up, but (this phone at least) selects line 1 automatically, and all is good. It’s also very easy to get to line 2 if someone else is already on, (the line buttons light up when in use by an extension) or to conference two calls together! I know that this can be done with the flash button, but it ain’t so easy.

Another “trick” that I haven’t seen anyone mention is how to have a “quasi” dedicated fax line. I have my fax machine plugged in to line two, and set to answer at 5 rings. My “main” number is set to go to voicemail after 4 rings, but I disabled voicemail on the virtual number, so it keeps right on ringing. So, faxes can be sent to my virtual number, and picked up by the fax. Granted, this only works if no-one picks up the phone first, but I don’t get faxes very often anyway, so it works just fine for me.

I’m sure I’ll find new things to love about VOIPo, but for right now, I’m having a Renaissance with the telephone – it’s all new to me again!

Comments:

Review by rickyphar See Profile

• Location: Nampa,Canyon,ID
Good "Customer Service, Value"
Bad "VOIP Panel"
Overall "Excellent service for the price"

These are my initial impressions of my VOIPO service.

Signing up was simple and I had a soft phone working within an hour, great start. I received my adapter (Linksys) within a few days and it come right up and worked fine. I installed the adapters in one of the ports on my switch and had no problems. I did have a reconnect issue, but after opening a trouble ticket the firmware has been upgraded on the Linksys and I haven’t had any other connect problems.

I had several questions when first starting the service and the customer support was excellent, in fact I have not seen this level of customer service for many years. I like the value and the features that I get, however I did find the VOIP panel a little awkward at first.

Call quality so far has been pretty good, doesn’t work well when you are downloading large files, but that is understandable. I love being able to have two lines, and the DND with the white list is great. I wish that there was a way to turn the DND on and off based on the time. I would also like to be able to turn some features such as DND via a touch tone phone after entering my voice mail password.

Overall I am very happy with this service; it is a great value and will definitely be recommending it to my friends.

Comments:

Review by Studly See Profile

• Location: Lakeville,Dakota,MN
Good "Great tech support, no long holding times to get through to them"
Bad "Unreliable, plus had some echo and latency problems"
Overall "They seem to be experiencing growing pains"

I tried out Voipo last month for the 30 day trial, but had to cancel due to several problems. First they were out of the Grandstream ATAs that they usually send out, so they sent me a Linksys (didn't warn me about that), which didn't work for me because it had no pass-through LAN port to the computer (I have no router). They said they sent that because they were out of Grandstreams, but hoped to get more shortly. So then they sent me a rebranded Grandstream ATA, had Nuvio's name on it, and then emailed me to say that was sent out by mistake but that it should still work for me. That didn't work correctly, so then they sent me out a regular Grandstream ATA. That worked, but by then it was about 21 days after I ordered before I could get connected. Then for about a week, I couldn't get any inbound calls unless I rebooted the ATA often. Voipo sent out several emails to their customers saying the Grandstreams weren't reregistering correctly, they may have to recall them, etc. I had to reboot it every day for about a week. When I made calls I had occasional echo and voice delay/latency problems. They tried hard to fix the echo numerous times, but it still occurred, and they said they couldn't do anything about the latency problem because that was likely due to my ISP. I did numerous ping and VOIP tests through this site and testyourvoip.com, and they all show that I shouldn't have a problem with latency. Anyway, because of all those problems, I cancelled during my 30 day trial and got my money back.

Like everyone else says, they have great support and I don't ever remember being on hold, waiting to get into support. They take your concerns seriously and try hard to help you. In my case, though, it didn't work out despite their best efforts.

Hope they make it, though. Once they get through these growing pains, maybe they'll be worth trying again.

Also, I found their website to be lacking in documentation for setup and how to use the various calling features. That could be improved, too.

Comments:

Review by hootch See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,Clark,WA
Good "Best customer service I have ever experienced"
Bad "Some limited hiccups, but see good point"

I went from Sunrocket, to Viatalk, and now to Voipo. Started out with a GS502 behind my router, but it lost registration. Called support and had the PAP2T within a couple of days. Just plugged it into my router and did nothing else. Certain calls I noticed were not of great quality, so on a Sunday afternoon, emailed support with my issues and within an hour had a reply that they made some changes to my PAP2T and to forward certain ports in my router and use QoS if possible. Did those changes and the call quality has been excellent...even to numbers in which I had experienced some issues earlier.

Overall, great quality. I do not recall ever having many issues with SR, with Viatalk I had to switch servers all the time, with Voipo, other than the initial port forwarding, etc. it has been plug and play.

BUT...I do not recall ever having dealt with a company with as good of customer service as Voipo. Not just voip companies, but any company. They take responsibility and admit if they made an error and work to resolve it fast. The owner of the company often personally responds to support tickets to make sure everything was taken care of satisfactorily. I would highly recommend Voipo to anybody I know.

Comments:

Review by Gbhanot See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "Responsive Customer Service"
Bad "Unreliable service, unprofessional, un-ethical company"
Overall "Don't go by just Good reviews, Check the tech forum for their problems."

The only good thing I can say about VOIPo is that their Customer service is very responsive. You get reply of your tickets within few hours. But how much they can maintain it once customer base is UP is ???

I signed up for Voipo in December, 2008, when they launched the service. The service worked good for one week and then never worked properly. I used the serive when it worked but I really don't consider a service working properly, if every day morning you have to restart the adaptor 2-3 time to get it registered and call a number many times to get it connected.

Before this, I used Lingo, Sunrocket, Net2Phone, Joip, Tmobile@home, but never had so many issues with any service. Lingo had some problems initially, but it was nothing compared to VOIPo. I was part of each and every outage VOIPo had. ( It was always quoted by VOIPo that Outage is affecting only a small number of customers, but strangely, I was always part of every outage they had ).

So finally I sent back adapter in first week of March. I paid $135 for a year. VOIPo charged me for three months @ $18/month for the service which had so many issues in past three months and were accepted by their CEO also. I was expecting 11.25 per month calculated from 135/year, 'cuz while joining, when I asked CSR about cancellation, I was told that they will refund pro-rated amount for unused period. I have posted the chat transcript with their serive rep, which clearly says that they will refund pro-rated amount.

When I posted my experience on the Voip Tech Chat forum on this site, Company's CEO did put some cooked up figures saying my usage figures on the site saying that I am lying and service worked very well. I was totally taken by surprise, how a company can be so unprofessional, unethical that they can got to the extent of posting customer's personal data on the public forum, just to prove their point.

When I Posted the actual figures for a month, Company CEO replied that, that is just for a month and given me method of calculating the calls which was adding current calls to all the previous calls. I don't know if he didn't know about his own site or he tried to look ignorant. But Anyone who has serive with VOIPo, can check on their site that we can not see 3 month old calls in the current log and can not see new calls in the old call log.

Finally in a personal message, CEO of the company agreed that he got the transcript of CHAT with the CSR and is crediting me that amount because the information was conveyed in-correctly.

So Guys, decide yourself, Can you trust this kind of company? They called me liar on a public forum whereas all their claims were wrong.

Now, look at the forum of Voip Tech chat and decide how many problems VOIPo had from December to March. The problem was upto the extent that they had to recall the adaptor for masses. Even if they say serive is fine, will you really trust them?.

Anyway I am glad that I am out and not wasting any more money and time.

Comments:

Review by woody04 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Good technical support"
Bad "Some hiccups in getting set-up"
Overall "Good value. Great service."

Based on the reviews here I signed up for a one year pre-pay -- a leap of faith, given that I'm a former SunRocket subscriber (aka burnee)

I got the ATA in less than a week and tried to set up service. Outgoing worked fine (both in-front and behind router) but incoming number didn't work (rapid busy regardless of network called from).

After a few tech support calls and emails I just asked for a new number. That request somehow got mismanaged and I was about to give up on the trial and requested cancellation.

At that point, I got a direct response from Mr. T.D. and he straightened out the new number request and all is working fine.

Subsequently I have requested my old service number to be ported to a new virtual number (It would seem like this is the way to go when trying a new service), which they said ought not to be a problem. Will keep you posted on that.

Currently I have the ATA in-front of my router which seems fine so I won't mess with it.

($11.25/mo is $99/year + $36/year taxes+fees)

** 3/11/2009 Gave up on porting (see comment) **

Comments:

Review by jmelcher See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "Great customer service, quick turn resolution of issues"
Bad "Basic control panel"
Overall "Excellent Service, Great Product"

2/24/09
Porting process went about as well as expected. There were some glitches that caused me to be without service for a few hours, but Tech Support got it working after submitting a ticket. Not sure if porting to a landline would have gone any smoother, but my experience in porting from one VOIP provider to another is to expect some glitches.

They shipped me a Grandstream HT502 ATA. I previously used a Linksys PAP2T with my other provider. I have noticed significant improvement in audio quality - not sure if it's due to the provider or the adapter, but I have read about others who have commented on the superior quality of the Grandstreams.

I have paid for 1 year in advance. I've been with various VOIP providers over the past 3 years, and have finally felt that I have a good enough provider to put my faith in them for a long-term commitment.

I will definitely recommend VOIPo to others who are interested in knowing about VOIP service.

1/12/09
Signed up on 12/13 and rec'd my adapter soon thereafter. Wouldn't work placed in front of my router as they suggest (later identified to be my router's fault through my tinkering) so I put behind the router and it was provisioned in about 3 minutes. It works!

I have been able to put it in front of my router as they suggest and I do notice better call quality. They have been *extremely* helpful and polite with what I am sure are annoying questions by me about call setup time, caller ID, voice mail, etc. The bottom is... customer service is far superior that Vonage or Viatalk. They claim 9-6 M-F support, but I've had several tickets worked on after hours, to include the weekend.

Their service/support and call quality has been good enough that my wife said we should sign up for a year to get a better monthly fee. I did start the process to port my number, after which I will most likely go ahead and sign up for the year. I'll update my review as things warrant updating.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong here.