VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by ArnoldZiffel2 See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "Great price, responsive support personnel, worked out of the box"
Bad "slight echo during some calls"
Overall "Good so far..."

Order May 28, Received Linksys Pap2 adapter 2 days later (Saturday). Installed it without a hitch on Monday (5/30).

Got good responses to my questions for support via email and through website trouble tickets.

My port from At&t callvantage is ongoing, so it took some arranging and the use of one of Voipo's virtual numbers to forward Callvantage to the Voipo virtual number. This setup should work until the port's complete. I have already received email confirmation that Voipo's submitted all the paperwork to Callvantage.

I'll update this in a few days.

Comments:

Review by gtx260 See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Excellent Customer Service"
Bad "Unreliable Service, Horrible Call Quality, Always a new problem, Shoddy Packaging"
Overall "Don't be fooled by the smoke and mirrors VOIPO provides poor service"

I recently switched from a previous VoIP provider where I was able to work things directly out of the box. I decided to try VOIPO from all the positive reviews on here.

My switch to VOIPO was terrible from the get go. My package took 2 weeks to arrive because "there were some problems with shipping!" When I finally got it and tried to set up I ran into some problems. It may have just been me, but It shouldn't be a hassle out of the box. I called tech support to help, and they were great.

I EVENTUALLY got it set up, but ran into intermittent problems with voice quality, dead air, and other parties having trouble hearing me. I called tech support multiple times, and my ticket would be open for days. They eventually said it was a problem with me since no one else was having problems, but if you look on their support forum everyone has problems!

Do not be fooled by the smoke and mirrors, and all the positive reviews on this site. VOIPO has great customer support, but why does one need to constantly contact customer support? Things should just work with ease as soon as you set things up.

Comments:

Review by ikunz See Profile

• Location: Vienna,Fairfax,VA
Good "ok service, absolutely outstanding tech support!"
Bad "none"
Overall "ok VOIP service"

My few issues related to switch from Cox to FIOS got resolved with fantastic speed, support always followed up to check if everything is in order. Porting of my number went smoothly within 10 days. No outages, no oneway audio, no dropped calls. Quality is perfect, family very happy. I hope they'll have some offer for the renewal as i joined before the initial offer, but this is by all means great service for less than $17/month. Highly recommended!

[3/13] Have to update the review unfortunately. The service is not as reliable as before with calls being forwarded to backup number for not obvious reasons even though the device is properly registered. To call home feels like gambling, you never know if it succeeds. The main reason why i liked the service - it's stability - is unfortunately gone.
On a positive side, the call quality remains extremely good.

Trying to get a call log today resulted in:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 67108864 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 24 bytes) in /var/www/secure.voipo.com/include/functions.php on line 124

[4/17] Month of trouble free service. No outage noticed, quality of calls excellent.
[5/27] Just to keep the review track for VOIPo running - stable service, no issues, outages etc.

Comments:

Review by sgarrand See Profile

• Location: West Brookfield,Worcester,MA
Good "Price and customer service."
Bad "Portal is very basic. Fanatical alpha/beta testers are scary. Extremely poor call quality."
Overall "Very good intro price but poor call quality."

**Update 5/24/09**

On May 5th I ported my number to Callcentric. VOIPo was very good about a refund. I understand that some people receive excellent service from VOIPo but I could not. I do get excellent quality with Callcentric so I'm glad it's not my connection or my PAP2.

**Update 4/6/09**

I just cannot seem to get good call quality from VOIPo. There is a lot of noise during calls and my callers hear their own voice echoed back at them. I've tried everything support has suggested. I switched from their GS502 to my PAP2-NA. I've tried various servers and have gone from going through Level3 to going through VOIPo. I've tried central and east servers and I've forwarded ports. I've even put the adapter in the DMZ. Other VoIP services have worked flawlessly for years but I went with VOIPo for the low price. I've learned my lesson there. I'm not sure who I'll go with in November but it'll most likely end up costing more. Ah well. Can't win 'em all.

** End of update **

I ordered service on November 11th, 2008. Received my GS502 ATA pretty quickly. I prefer to run an ATA after my router (WRT54G) with Tomato firmware but in this config the sound quality was poor. The first time I tried to hook the GS502 before my router I experienced internet connection issues on my computers. On December 1st they said they'd send a replacement adapter and they never did. I still have the e-mail. I ended up going back to "after the router" and just dealt with the poor quality. On January 20th I tried it before the router again and after a few initial hiccups it has worked well for a week. I had a 3 hour long call today that was flawless, prompting this review.

I have been using VoIP for over 6 years (Vonage, Packet8, QV, Viatalk, VoipO) and I try not to get too crazy about any one provider. One factor as a DSL Reports member that actually scares me is the ferocity of the alpha/beta testers that got free service for years. They're all long time respected members but it's truly frightening how attached they are. They will (at least one guy will) literally YELL at you if you disagree or even question this company. These types of people push me away from a service more than anything. Despite that, I still decided to try them out and have been happy so far. It's not really VoipO's problem but this is DSL Reports and they are users here so it is relevant.

member for 14.7 years, 7489 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rx100 See Profile

• Location: Sunnyvale,Santa Clara,CA
Good "top notch support, value for $$, completed the porting in 2 weeks"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "the best"

1. Auto-provision didn't work on my ATA out of the box but after a quick email I got it up and running no problem.Even though VOIPo says no after hour/weekend support, VOIPo support responded to all my issue withing an hour. Excellent support.Hope it stays this way for ever.
2. Had issues when I connected after the router (DIR-655) but with the help of Mike (christcorp) it got resolved.(»VOIPo: ATA not registering thru DIR-655 router)
3.ATA is configured for NAT traverse with a STUN server
no issues with incoming or outgoing calls
4.Call quality is excellent
5.Number porting took about 15 days from Voicepulse. It was seamless

member for 11.7 years, 1536 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by kevinj3 See Profile

• Location: Ramsey,Bergen,NJ
Good "CS is superb; call quality superb"
Bad "basic features are in place ... bells and whistles being fleshed out"
Overall "I made the right choice"

I waited a MONTH before joining DSLReports and writing this review. I put Voipo in as a replacement for retreating ATT CallVantage. My internet is FiOS, so I have loads of bandwidth.

As a CallVantage refugee, I was worried about going with a small company - but I had no choices, did I (Vonage was considered but not for long). I should not have worried. Voipo is apparently well capitalized, and is GROWING fast. The real good news is that just as my service was going into place, they were totally upgrading (expanding) their capacity. EXCELLENT!

Customer Service / Tech Support is responsive, friendly, and accurate. I can't comment on their technical depth, because I have had NO TECHNICAL ISSUES ... all of my contacts have been about feature clarification and about general startup questions - mostly stupid questions. Answers were prompt and clear.

Call quality has been flawless ... and the line quality is better than ATT C/V.

My $18 package includes tax ... and they provided me with a Linksys PAP2 (compact, and TWO ports - I have a cloned line -- way cool!).

Bottom line ... Voipo gets an A+ and a sigh of relief ... it JUST WORKS, and works well. I recommend them without hesitation, and I suspect that the tiny handful of naysayers are too lazy to update their bad reviews, or maybe they forgot their passwords ... because after a month and a half of dealing with Voipo, and reading their forum posts, it is clear to me that they will not allow a customer to be unhappy.

Comments:

Review by mujibur See Profile

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Good "Cheap"
Bad "No Fax support"
Overall "DO NOT sign up if you intend to Fax"

I fax about 2-3 pages each month and have never had problems on Vonage. So before signing up for Voipo, I asked customer support whether I can fax on Voipo. Their response: While it's not a feature of Voipo, faxes can be sent.

So I signed up and tried several test faxes which went fine. I sent about 6 faxes successfully since signing up in Feb 2009. Then they had the Network issues that interrupted service for many customers. Well, whatever they did to fix the network issues, I now get echos on voice and CANNOT send a single FAX. The echos I can tolerate, but no fax is very inconvenient for me.

So I called tech support and was told that while it's not supported, if I open a ticket, someone can at least take a look to see if the settings on my device is optimized. This seemed reasonable to me. I send the ticket and here's the response:

> Hello,

> Since we do not fully support fax and we do not recommend that our customers to use our service for anything except voice service, there's no troubleshooting we can offer for your faxing issue. Faxing is pretty much hit or miss on VoIP service due to the communication over the internet and up time is never guaranteed. Let us know if you have any questions or concerns. Thank you.

So not only do they not support fax, they won't help you in any way to troubleshoot. And their recommendation to only use it for voice seems inconsistent with the information that I received before signing up. I guess it's not worth their time anymore to help out their customers. So anyone considering faxing on Voipo, don't repeat my mistake and go with another provider. I plan on changing as soon as the contract is up.

Comments:

Review by Vumes See Profile

• Location: Beaverton,Washington,OR
Good "Reliability, Cost, and the Call Quality and SUPPORT (US Based around the clock)"
Bad "Rocky start. (When I first joined)"
Overall "Your money's worth, and then some!"

I come from another Voip giant which had good service, but their prices and especially their support left a lot to be desired. I decided to give Voipo a shot. At first I had quite a few problems because my device was faulty. I got a new device and everything was good until Voipo exploded with growth (customers) and we saw some problems with the devices. Voipo changed out their device, and ever since getting the PAP2T, I haven't had a single problem.

Call quality is great, the price is super, its reliable, and best of all, when I was having all those problems at the beginning, Voipo support was their around the clock answering support tickets. I have to give it up for Tim and his team. They work what seems at all hours, and are very helpful in getting you fixed up should you have a problem. I tell you what though, now that the PAP2T is the flagship device, I think most users will be trouble free. It's plug and play with your router so you have virtually nothing to figure out.

I don't regret my decision at all for leaving the other Voip giant, and I would do it all over again. My wife can call anywhere at anytime without any issues so if the "Wife" is a factor, fear not, you'll be ok.

Comments:

Review by voipinit1 See Profile

• Location: Hampton,Henry,GA
Good "customer service, reliability, value, ease of installation"
Bad "the web interface while better then most could be better organized"
Overall "Excellent VOIP service"

I have had the service since mid January and have had very few bumps. The few bumps that I had were quickly resolved and my service is rock solid. Their customer service is second to none including very quick turnaround when a support ticket is opened. The VOIP services I have had are Vonage (4 years), SunRocket (2 months -now defunct), Packet8 (13 months), VT (6 months), and now VOIPo. Without question, VOIPo has been the best so far. I highly recommend them if you are considering VOIP service.

Comments:

Review by kevm5 See Profile

• Location: Parkesburg,Chester,PA
Good "Exceptional customer service and involved owner"
Bad "some rough spots lately, but seems due to rapid growth"
Overall "It would be hard to do better overall"

I have had VOIPO for several months. I wont sugar coat it and say it hasn't been a bumpy road cause it has been. That being said, if you read and participate in the user forums and you spend any amount of time trying to understand what has been going on, I think you will find that most of the issues are due to growth, or supplier equipment problems, the latter of which is beyond the control of VOIPO.

You will also find that customer service and even the President of the company participates regularly in the forum and they all genuinely want to help their customers. This is very evident to me, and well worth it to stick with them to ride out a short storm. I give VOIPO high marks for their customer service, caring nature, and voice quality that is top notch. The reliability has been very good lately