VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by hootch See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,Clark,WA
Good "Best customer service I have ever experienced"
Bad "Some limited hiccups, but see good point"

I went from Sunrocket, to Viatalk, and now to Voipo. Started out with a GS502 behind my router, but it lost registration. Called support and had the PAP2T within a couple of days. Just plugged it into my router and did nothing else. Certain calls I noticed were not of great quality, so on a Sunday afternoon, emailed support with my issues and within an hour had a reply that they made some changes to my PAP2T and to forward certain ports in my router and use QoS if possible. Did those changes and the call quality has been excellent...even to numbers in which I had experienced some issues earlier.

Overall, great quality. I do not recall ever having many issues with SR, with Viatalk I had to switch servers all the time, with Voipo, other than the initial port forwarding, etc. it has been plug and play.

BUT...I do not recall ever having dealt with a company with as good of customer service as Voipo. Not just voip companies, but any company. They take responsibility and admit if they made an error and work to resolve it fast. The owner of the company often personally responds to support tickets to make sure everything was taken care of satisfactorily. I would highly recommend Voipo to anybody I know.

Comments:

Review by Gbhanot See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "Responsive Customer Service"
Bad "Unreliable service, unprofessional, un-ethical company"
Overall "Don't go by just Good reviews, Check the tech forum for their problems."

The only good thing I can say about VOIPo is that their Customer service is very responsive. You get reply of your tickets within few hours. But how much they can maintain it once customer base is UP is ???

I signed up for Voipo in December, 2008, when they launched the service. The service worked good for one week and then never worked properly. I used the serive when it worked but I really don't consider a service working properly, if every day morning you have to restart the adaptor 2-3 time to get it registered and call a number many times to get it connected.

Before this, I used Lingo, Sunrocket, Net2Phone, Joip, Tmobile@home, but never had so many issues with any service. Lingo had some problems initially, but it was nothing compared to VOIPo. I was part of each and every outage VOIPo had. ( It was always quoted by VOIPo that Outage is affecting only a small number of customers, but strangely, I was always part of every outage they had ).

So finally I sent back adapter in first week of March. I paid $135 for a year. VOIPo charged me for three months @ $18/month for the service which had so many issues in past three months and were accepted by their CEO also. I was expecting 11.25 per month calculated from 135/year, 'cuz while joining, when I asked CSR about cancellation, I was told that they will refund pro-rated amount for unused period. I have posted the chat transcript with their serive rep, which clearly says that they will refund pro-rated amount.

When I posted my experience on the Voip Tech Chat forum on this site, Company's CEO did put some cooked up figures saying my usage figures on the site saying that I am lying and service worked very well. I was totally taken by surprise, how a company can be so unprofessional, unethical that they can got to the extent of posting customer's personal data on the public forum, just to prove their point.

When I Posted the actual figures for a month, Company CEO replied that, that is just for a month and given me method of calculating the calls which was adding current calls to all the previous calls. I don't know if he didn't know about his own site or he tried to look ignorant. But Anyone who has serive with VOIPo, can check on their site that we can not see 3 month old calls in the current log and can not see new calls in the old call log.

Finally in a personal message, CEO of the company agreed that he got the transcript of CHAT with the CSR and is crediting me that amount because the information was conveyed in-correctly.

So Guys, decide yourself, Can you trust this kind of company? They called me liar on a public forum whereas all their claims were wrong.

Now, look at the forum of Voip Tech chat and decide how many problems VOIPo had from December to March. The problem was upto the extent that they had to recall the adaptor for masses. Even if they say serive is fine, will you really trust them?.

Anyway I am glad that I am out and not wasting any more money and time.

Comments:

Review by woody04 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Good technical support"
Bad "Some hiccups in getting set-up"
Overall "Good value. Great service."

Based on the reviews here I signed up for a one year pre-pay -- a leap of faith, given that I'm a former SunRocket subscriber (aka burnee)

I got the ATA in less than a week and tried to set up service. Outgoing worked fine (both in-front and behind router) but incoming number didn't work (rapid busy regardless of network called from).

After a few tech support calls and emails I just asked for a new number. That request somehow got mismanaged and I was about to give up on the trial and requested cancellation.

At that point, I got a direct response from Mr. T.D. and he straightened out the new number request and all is working fine.

Subsequently I have requested my old service number to be ported to a new virtual number (It would seem like this is the way to go when trying a new service), which they said ought not to be a problem. Will keep you posted on that.

Currently I have the ATA in-front of my router which seems fine so I won't mess with it.

($11.25/mo is $99/year + $36/year taxes+fees)

** 3/11/2009 Gave up on porting (see comment) **

Comments:

Review by jmelcher See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "Great customer service, quick turn resolution of issues"
Bad "Basic control panel"
Overall "Excellent Service, Great Product"

2/24/09
Porting process went about as well as expected. There were some glitches that caused me to be without service for a few hours, but Tech Support got it working after submitting a ticket. Not sure if porting to a landline would have gone any smoother, but my experience in porting from one VOIP provider to another is to expect some glitches.

They shipped me a Grandstream HT502 ATA. I previously used a Linksys PAP2T with my other provider. I have noticed significant improvement in audio quality - not sure if it's due to the provider or the adapter, but I have read about others who have commented on the superior quality of the Grandstreams.

I have paid for 1 year in advance. I've been with various VOIP providers over the past 3 years, and have finally felt that I have a good enough provider to put my faith in them for a long-term commitment.

I will definitely recommend VOIPo to others who are interested in knowing about VOIP service.

1/12/09
Signed up on 12/13 and rec'd my adapter soon thereafter. Wouldn't work placed in front of my router as they suggest (later identified to be my router's fault through my tinkering) so I put behind the router and it was provisioned in about 3 minutes. It works!

I have been able to put it in front of my router as they suggest and I do notice better call quality. They have been *extremely* helpful and polite with what I am sure are annoying questions by me about call setup time, caller ID, voice mail, etc. The bottom is... customer service is far superior that Vonage or Viatalk. They claim 9-6 M-F support, but I've had several tickets worked on after hours, to include the weekend.

Their service/support and call quality has been good enough that my wife said we should sign up for a year to get a better monthly fee. I did start the process to port my number, after which I will most likely go ahead and sign up for the year. I'll update my review as things warrant updating.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong here.

Comments:

Review by fareal See Profile

• Location: Rancho Cucamonga,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Support"
Bad "Adjusting to their growing customer base"
Overall "Recommended"

I ordered the service using the Pre-Launch 2 promo on Jan 23, 2008. $135 no other fees for a year of service. I received the PAP2T on Feb 4, 2008. It did work as soon as I connected it, although there were a few hiccups.

Apparently I signed up during a bad time. Voipo's supply of Grandstream adapters were no longer available, thus the reason I got the PAP2T. Actually I'm glad I got the PAP2T as I hear it is better for users that connect the ATA behind their router. During approximately the first week of service or so, there were several issues at Voipo that did effect phone service. Also there were a few issues with my account that I needed to open a ticket to get resolved. Considering all of these issues, their support always pulled through in a reasonable amount of time and I seem to be problem free since that first week.

My number porting took 10 days to complete.

I'm curious to see their rates for service after their pre-launch promos and when it comes time for me to renew in a year. Hopefully the good VoIP service continues as well as their great support and innovative ideas to add to their control panel.

Comments:

Review by me1212 See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Hill,Cass,MO
Good "Tech support, clone line, price, works with wireless."
Bad "website neeeds a bit of work."
Overall "Get VOIPo! If you can."

When I first got the adapter it would not register and took 4 day to do get it working, this is because I use a WISP and a wireless router which causes a double NAT. The tech support is the best there is they kept at it 'till they got it working, if I could I would give them a 7.

Once we got it working it is MUCH better the our POTS with that we had to have the volume at MAX on our phones, and now at the second lowest setting it is 10x better audio quality. There is a broken word every now and again, but that due to wireless not being as stable as wired. Setting the QoS on my router helped with this.

Over all love it.
I will update from time to time.

UPDATE: FEB 01 2009. Well, I got my number ported, it went well, it took more than 14 days, but still a great service, price, and it rocks.

Tech support still #1.

I was hit by the device getting un-registered thing, but I'm back up and running now.

Well, not much more to say, I will update more when I need to.

Update 02/21/2009

Got a new phone system, and VOIPo still is working great. I have not had a real problem since I got the PAP2 ATA, everything has been working great, I read some posts that others were having problems, but I have not had any.

I hope VOIPo keeps up the good work.

Will update when needed.

member for 5.6 years, 2249 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by havahava See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great Support Stuff , courteous and willing to help"
Bad "You need too much help from the support staff to make this work , mine is still not resolved"
Overall "VOIPO not ready for prime time or has too many issues that still needs to be ironed out"

I have been with VOIPO for 2 months now and haven't had a week of trouble free service. The only time I did not have to interact with support was when I was on vacation for 10 days.

Issues :

1) Static on my phone , after some tweaking yesterday seems like one way. I could barely hear the other side but my voice was loud and clear.

2) Sometimes the phone rings and I pickup the phone and it's dead air, sometimes the phone doesn't ring at all and fails over to my cell phone.

3) Interestingly I have found that rebooting Grandstream ATA fixes the problem ( everytime) . I even tried one of those timers that switches off/on the adapter every night but not much help. So now before making a call I reboot my ATA and then call people.

4) Support has moved me around to different servers but of no avail. They addressed the STUN server issue but of no avail.

5) Support shipped me Linksys PAPT2 , it didn't work but support was able to identify DNS issues. After it got resolved it worked for 3 hrs and it stopped registering. Support says it is some wierd issue .

If I were to charge minimum pay for the amount of time I have spent with customer support this service turns out to be far more expensive than Vonage which by the way worked just fine behind the very same ISP and router for 5 years.

I am sure this service will improve given the quality of support folks but I really like a service where you don't even need to call support. As regards Vonage I had 1 call to customer service in 5 yrs I was with them.

Comments:

Review by jjgb10 See Profile

• Location: Kasson,Dodge,MN
Good "Great call quality, reliability, and support!!!"
Bad "None to list"
Overall "This is going to be the most reliable and rock solid VOIP provider out there!"

·Charter
I have been in beta with VOIPo for over a year now and I have to say I have had less downtime with them than any other service I have had. Power, cable, internet, Viatalk, and water are probably down more than VOIPo ever is every year.

I used to have Viatalk and it would go down randomly and be choppy and have inconsistent performance. I stayed with them for 2 years and kept thinking it was our connection that was bad. I was VERY wrong... Once I got VOIPo, all calls went through and there were never any problems at all. Call quality was excellent from day 1 and their alpha/beta service is better than Viatalk and Sunrocket when we had them also in their production stages!!

VOIPo has taken over 2 years to finalize their product and work out all the bugs to make a very stable Voip platform that will run very smoothly when new customers start coming in. I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone when they launch here in the August/September range. They are going to have some launch specials also so stay tuned!!

UPDATE 1-25-2009

Well, we have had VOIPo for over 2 years now and it has been AMAZING compared to Sunrocket and Viatalk when we had them. Support has been excellent and the call quality is still great as it has always been. We have never had any noticeable outage yet in over 2 years and everything works great.

I still Highly Recommend VOIPo to anyone looking for a great, stable company with great features and support. Their CEO, Tim, is also excellent and will take care of any issues you have at anytime. Awesome!!!

member for 9.6 years, 3530 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by yahig See Profile

• Location: North Adams,Berkshire,MA
Good "Good Price"
Bad "Couldn't port my number then dropped the ball on my refund"
Overall "Pain in the neck !"

BEWARE OF VOIPo ... I read all the good reviews so I signed up in early December. I expected to receive equipment after paying $164.00 for year 1 and sending in my porting request. 2 weeks passed and they said sorry can't port your number (which I had ported to Vonage from Verizon years ago). O.K. refund please ! Then the long silence began............ I hate disputing transactions on my credit card. Now VOIPo keeps saying to return equipment, I keep saying" I didn't recieve it , give me a tracking number". Their response," return equipment " Good customer service ? These guys don't read their mail ! It's like talking to a wall . BEWARE..If I didn't know of DSL reports high standards I'd suspect VOIPo had some cheaky monkey locked in their basement typing out all those positive reviews ! Thought I had escaped but, guess it"s another month of "International customer service abuse" ( May I call you by your first name ?) courtesy of Vonage for me.

Comments:

Review by Taskbar See Profile

• Location: Lake City,Columbia,FL
Good "First year was only $99 for the whole year plus $36 taxes!!"
Bad "At the moment not a lot of documentation."
Overall "Regardless of lack of documentation VoiPO is a top notch company!!"

I have been with VoiPO since December 1, 2008. So far the service has been exceptional for me. After placing my order online, I received my ATA in roughly 5 days later. The package was mailed US Priority mail. I opened the package envelope and inside were: VoiPo Quick Reference Guide, Setting Up Your VoiPo Device, Important E911 Information, and or course the Grandstream ATA with power adapter, and telephone cord. The first thing I did was review the setup instructions, and made a decision right then to install my ATA behind my D-Link router (not in front). Installation went smoothly for me with no issues whatsoever. It should be noted that I did setup my ATA for static IP addressing, and this was no issue either. In about 5 minutes I was making and receiving telephone calls. I signed in to my Control Panel and this went smoothly as well. I setup call filters on both outgoing and incoming calls, and this worked smoothly as well. The voice quality on my Comcast cable connection is outstanding-- no echo and folks do not even know I am calling from a voip connection either!! One another note support is second to none both over the telephone, trouble tickets submitted online, and getting assistance on DSLReports.com website. I can honestly say that VoiPO is a company that truly values our thoughts and impressions. Other companies should take note to VoiPO's business model