VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by brodster See Profile

• Location: Lake Worth,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Price, features, voice quality."
Bad "First adapter was faulty."
Overall "After rocky start, smooth sailing!"

Update, 4/4/09

Service has been rock-solid reliable for months now. I'm very pleased with the level of service... so much so, that I've prepaid for another year of service, extending into 2011! I've also talked my parents into porting their landline over to VOIPo. As an added benefit, I discovered by accident that VOIPo now has numbers in Crystal River FL (where my mother-in-law lives), so I was able to move my virtual number to there for no charge! As they say "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy". I'm very glad to say that momma's very happy!

_________________________________________________________________

Background

First, let me begin by saying that I’m not your average dslreports VOIP user. My family shares one landline, one cellular phone, and we get our TV via an antenna on the roof. Our one luxury has been DSL from Bellsouth, now ATT. We’re all about saving money, as we’re a single income family, and look to cut corners financially wherever possible.

I’ve often toyed with the idea of using VOIP – my brother has been a Vonage customer for years, and has had nothing but good things to say about it. Since my basic phone line ran in the neighborhood of $26/ month, even the most expensive VOIP services would be the same, or cheaper, with included long distance and all the bells and whistles. The holdup, for a while, was that DSL was not offered without voice. Once that was rolled out in my area, I began to look into it seriously. Still, ATT charges an extra $5/ month for the privilege of a dry line, but the VOIP savings would (hopefully) make up the difference.

Taking the first step

So, I set the process in motion. I ordered a new dry DSL line installed on the second copper pair leading to my house, and then turned to choosing a VOIP provider. Since my brother highly recommended Vonage, that was the natural choice for me as well. In fact, I probably would’ve signed up with them (they offer service credits for referring a friend), if it wasn’t for their rate hike. I was all set to sign up for the $15.00 500 min./ month plan, until when I went back to the site to do the deed, it was then $18! So, I began to see what else is out there, which led me to dslreports.com. The highest rated service was for a company with the strange name of VOIPo. As I looked into it, it seemed almost too good to be true - $99 for a year of unlimited service, ATA provided free, 2 lines included, free virtual number, 30 day guarantee, and the list went on. I discovered VOIPo and signed up that same evening. (I had to break it to my brother that he won’t be getting a free month with Vonage!)

Excitement…then frustration

I could hardly wait for my phone adapter to arrive. Luckily, it came only 2-3 days later, and I immediately hooked it up to my network, and made my first VOIP call! How cool is that… I’m talking over the internet! (I’m easily impressed…) I set up a separate phone in the house to test the line, encouraging my wife to use it for long distance to see how it works. Unfortunately, I started having intermittent problems right away – here’s the list:

1. incoming calls not ringing through

2. calls sounding horribly garbled and static

3. no dialtone

4. hanging up phone after call, and phone rings with no-one there.

5. fast busy signals incoming and outgoing

I had lots of tickets open to correct these problems, and each fix seemed to last for a short while, then problems would crop up again. God bless them, the techs at VOIPo seemed to try everything; different servers, proxies, STUN, and I tried numerous different network configurations on my side. All changes seemed to work for a while, then, not. Then it dawned on me – could it be a bad ATA? After each fix, I would do a power cycle, which would fix the problem, for a few hours, or even a day. I mentioned this to them, and they gladly agreed to overnight me a new adapter to try. Meanwhile, I had applied to port our current landline to VOIPo, and I knew it would go through any day. It just so happened that our port happened on a Thursday, and the new adapter arrived the same day. I plugged it in, hopeful, and waited. No dialtone. Unplug. Wait. Plug back in. No dialtone. Fool with DMZ/ port forwarding settings on my modem. No dice. It was after hours for tech support, so I submitted a ticket, and went to bed, disgusted.

Success – at last!

The next day, I got home from work, and got on the phone with tech support, determined to get phone service restored to our home. Finally, after an hour of work, the tech discovered that the new Linksys ATA had a bad auto-provisioning script. Once corrected, it hooked right up, and I was in business. I have now been trouble free for about two weeks now, and let me tell you, it is a beautiful thing. I love Caller ID! I love getting my phone messages via email! I love not getting a busy signal when I call my wife and she’s talking to a friend! (I know what you’re thinking, call waiting has been around since the 80’s, right?) Like I said, it doesn’t take much to impress me.

Getting the most out of VOIP

OK, so you know that I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to this VOIP thing, but I’m also a tinker-er; I like to mess with things to see what happens. So, my first question was “how can I make the most of the two lines VOIPo offers?” It makes sense to have an extra phone lying around so that two different phone conversations can take place at once, since we have that capability. I have a feeling that this will become increasingly more important as my children (ages 7, 5, 2, and 9 months) get older and discover the joys of talking on the phone. So, I found an inexpensive two line phone on Ebay to play with. My question was, how will a two line phone react to VOIP service? When a call comes in, both lines ring simultaneously, so I wondered how a two line phone would deal with that. As it turns out, it’s perfect – when a call comes in, both lines light up, but (this phone at least) selects line 1 automatically, and all is good. It’s also very easy to get to line 2 if someone else is already on, (the line buttons light up when in use by an extension) or to conference two calls together! I know that this can be done with the flash button, but it ain’t so easy.

Another “trick” that I haven’t seen anyone mention is how to have a “quasi” dedicated fax line. I have my fax machine plugged in to line two, and set to answer at 5 rings. My “main” number is set to go to voicemail after 4 rings, but I disabled voicemail on the virtual number, so it keeps right on ringing. So, faxes can be sent to my virtual number, and picked up by the fax. Granted, this only works if no-one picks up the phone first, but I don’t get faxes very often anyway, so it works just fine for me.

I’m sure I’ll find new things to love about VOIPo, but for right now, I’m having a Renaissance with the telephone – it’s all new to me again!

Comments:

Review by rickyphar See Profile

• Location: Nampa,Canyon,ID
Good "Customer Service, Value"
Bad "VOIP Panel"
Overall "Excellent service for the price"

These are my initial impressions of my VOIPO service.

Signing up was simple and I had a soft phone working within an hour, great start. I received my adapter (Linksys) within a few days and it come right up and worked fine. I installed the adapters in one of the ports on my switch and had no problems. I did have a reconnect issue, but after opening a trouble ticket the firmware has been upgraded on the Linksys and I haven’t had any other connect problems.

I had several questions when first starting the service and the customer support was excellent, in fact I have not seen this level of customer service for many years. I like the value and the features that I get, however I did find the VOIP panel a little awkward at first.

Call quality so far has been pretty good, doesn’t work well when you are downloading large files, but that is understandable. I love being able to have two lines, and the DND with the white list is great. I wish that there was a way to turn the DND on and off based on the time. I would also like to be able to turn some features such as DND via a touch tone phone after entering my voice mail password.

Overall I am very happy with this service; it is a great value and will definitely be recommending it to my friends.

Comments:

Review by Studly See Profile

• Location: Lakeville,Dakota,MN
Good "Great tech support, no long holding times to get through to them"
Bad "Unreliable, plus had some echo and latency problems"
Overall "They seem to be experiencing growing pains"

I tried out Voipo last month for the 30 day trial, but had to cancel due to several problems. First they were out of the Grandstream ATAs that they usually send out, so they sent me a Linksys (didn't warn me about that), which didn't work for me because it had no pass-through LAN port to the computer (I have no router). They said they sent that because they were out of Grandstreams, but hoped to get more shortly. So then they sent me a rebranded Grandstream ATA, had Nuvio's name on it, and then emailed me to say that was sent out by mistake but that it should still work for me. That didn't work correctly, so then they sent me out a regular Grandstream ATA. That worked, but by then it was about 21 days after I ordered before I could get connected. Then for about a week, I couldn't get any inbound calls unless I rebooted the ATA often. Voipo sent out several emails to their customers saying the Grandstreams weren't reregistering correctly, they may have to recall them, etc. I had to reboot it every day for about a week. When I made calls I had occasional echo and voice delay/latency problems. They tried hard to fix the echo numerous times, but it still occurred, and they said they couldn't do anything about the latency problem because that was likely due to my ISP. I did numerous ping and VOIP tests through this site and testyourvoip.com, and they all show that I shouldn't have a problem with latency. Anyway, because of all those problems, I cancelled during my 30 day trial and got my money back.

Like everyone else says, they have great support and I don't ever remember being on hold, waiting to get into support. They take your concerns seriously and try hard to help you. In my case, though, it didn't work out despite their best efforts.

Hope they make it, though. Once they get through these growing pains, maybe they'll be worth trying again.

Also, I found their website to be lacking in documentation for setup and how to use the various calling features. That could be improved, too.

Comments:

Review by hootch See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,Clark,WA
Good "Best customer service I have ever experienced"
Bad "Some limited hiccups, but see good point"

I went from Sunrocket, to Viatalk, and now to Voipo. Started out with a GS502 behind my router, but it lost registration. Called support and had the PAP2T within a couple of days. Just plugged it into my router and did nothing else. Certain calls I noticed were not of great quality, so on a Sunday afternoon, emailed support with my issues and within an hour had a reply that they made some changes to my PAP2T and to forward certain ports in my router and use QoS if possible. Did those changes and the call quality has been excellent...even to numbers in which I had experienced some issues earlier.

Overall, great quality. I do not recall ever having many issues with SR, with Viatalk I had to switch servers all the time, with Voipo, other than the initial port forwarding, etc. it has been plug and play.

BUT...I do not recall ever having dealt with a company with as good of customer service as Voipo. Not just voip companies, but any company. They take responsibility and admit if they made an error and work to resolve it fast. The owner of the company often personally responds to support tickets to make sure everything was taken care of satisfactorily. I would highly recommend Voipo to anybody I know.

Comments:

Review by Gbhanot See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "Responsive Customer Service"
Bad "Unreliable service, unprofessional, un-ethical company"
Overall "Don't go by just Good reviews, Check the tech forum for their problems."

The only good thing I can say about VOIPo is that their Customer service is very responsive. You get reply of your tickets within few hours. But how much they can maintain it once customer base is UP is ???

I signed up for Voipo in December, 2008, when they launched the service. The service worked good for one week and then never worked properly. I used the serive when it worked but I really don't consider a service working properly, if every day morning you have to restart the adaptor 2-3 time to get it registered and call a number many times to get it connected.

Before this, I used Lingo, Sunrocket, Net2Phone, Joip, Tmobile@home, but never had so many issues with any service. Lingo had some problems initially, but it was nothing compared to VOIPo. I was part of each and every outage VOIPo had. ( It was always quoted by VOIPo that Outage is affecting only a small number of customers, but strangely, I was always part of every outage they had ).

So finally I sent back adapter in first week of March. I paid $135 for a year. VOIPo charged me for three months @ $18/month for the service which had so many issues in past three months and were accepted by their CEO also. I was expecting 11.25 per month calculated from 135/year, 'cuz while joining, when I asked CSR about cancellation, I was told that they will refund pro-rated amount for unused period. I have posted the chat transcript with their serive rep, which clearly says that they will refund pro-rated amount.

When I posted my experience on the Voip Tech Chat forum on this site, Company's CEO did put some cooked up figures saying my usage figures on the site saying that I am lying and service worked very well. I was totally taken by surprise, how a company can be so unprofessional, unethical that they can got to the extent of posting customer's personal data on the public forum, just to prove their point.

When I Posted the actual figures for a month, Company CEO replied that, that is just for a month and given me method of calculating the calls which was adding current calls to all the previous calls. I don't know if he didn't know about his own site or he tried to look ignorant. But Anyone who has serive with VOIPo, can check on their site that we can not see 3 month old calls in the current log and can not see new calls in the old call log.

Finally in a personal message, CEO of the company agreed that he got the transcript of CHAT with the CSR and is crediting me that amount because the information was conveyed in-correctly.

So Guys, decide yourself, Can you trust this kind of company? They called me liar on a public forum whereas all their claims were wrong.

Now, look at the forum of Voip Tech chat and decide how many problems VOIPo had from December to March. The problem was upto the extent that they had to recall the adaptor for masses. Even if they say serive is fine, will you really trust them?.

Anyway I am glad that I am out and not wasting any more money and time.

Comments:

Review by woody04 See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Good technical support"
Bad "Some hiccups in getting set-up"
Overall "Good value. Great service."

Based on the reviews here I signed up for a one year pre-pay -- a leap of faith, given that I'm a former SunRocket subscriber (aka burnee)

I got the ATA in less than a week and tried to set up service. Outgoing worked fine (both in-front and behind router) but incoming number didn't work (rapid busy regardless of network called from).

After a few tech support calls and emails I just asked for a new number. That request somehow got mismanaged and I was about to give up on the trial and requested cancellation.

At that point, I got a direct response from Mr. T.D. and he straightened out the new number request and all is working fine.

Subsequently I have requested my old service number to be ported to a new virtual number (It would seem like this is the way to go when trying a new service), which they said ought not to be a problem. Will keep you posted on that.

Currently I have the ATA in-front of my router which seems fine so I won't mess with it.

($11.25/mo is $99/year + $36/year taxes+fees)

** 3/11/2009 Gave up on porting (see comment) **

Comments:

Review by jmelcher See Profile

• Location: Evansville,Vanderburgh,IN
Good "Great customer service, quick turn resolution of issues"
Bad "Basic control panel"
Overall "Excellent Service, Great Product"

2/24/09
Porting process went about as well as expected. There were some glitches that caused me to be without service for a few hours, but Tech Support got it working after submitting a ticket. Not sure if porting to a landline would have gone any smoother, but my experience in porting from one VOIP provider to another is to expect some glitches.

They shipped me a Grandstream HT502 ATA. I previously used a Linksys PAP2T with my other provider. I have noticed significant improvement in audio quality - not sure if it's due to the provider or the adapter, but I have read about others who have commented on the superior quality of the Grandstreams.

I have paid for 1 year in advance. I've been with various VOIP providers over the past 3 years, and have finally felt that I have a good enough provider to put my faith in them for a long-term commitment.

I will definitely recommend VOIPo to others who are interested in knowing about VOIP service.

1/12/09
Signed up on 12/13 and rec'd my adapter soon thereafter. Wouldn't work placed in front of my router as they suggest (later identified to be my router's fault through my tinkering) so I put behind the router and it was provisioned in about 3 minutes. It works!

I have been able to put it in front of my router as they suggest and I do notice better call quality. They have been *extremely* helpful and polite with what I am sure are annoying questions by me about call setup time, caller ID, voice mail, etc. The bottom is... customer service is far superior that Vonage or Viatalk. They claim 9-6 M-F support, but I've had several tickets worked on after hours, to include the weekend.

Their service/support and call quality has been good enough that my wife said we should sign up for a year to get a better monthly fee. I did start the process to port my number, after which I will most likely go ahead and sign up for the year. I'll update my review as things warrant updating.

Bottom line - you can't go wrong here.

Comments:

Review by fareal See Profile

• Location: Rancho Cucamonga,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Support"
Bad "Adjusting to their growing customer base"
Overall "Recommended"

I ordered the service using the Pre-Launch 2 promo on Jan 23, 2008. $135 no other fees for a year of service. I received the PAP2T on Feb 4, 2008. It did work as soon as I connected it, although there were a few hiccups.

Apparently I signed up during a bad time. Voipo's supply of Grandstream adapters were no longer available, thus the reason I got the PAP2T. Actually I'm glad I got the PAP2T as I hear it is better for users that connect the ATA behind their router. During approximately the first week of service or so, there were several issues at Voipo that did effect phone service. Also there were a few issues with my account that I needed to open a ticket to get resolved. Considering all of these issues, their support always pulled through in a reasonable amount of time and I seem to be problem free since that first week.

My number porting took 10 days to complete.

I'm curious to see their rates for service after their pre-launch promos and when it comes time for me to renew in a year. Hopefully the good VoIP service continues as well as their great support and innovative ideas to add to their control panel.

Comments:

Review by me1212 See Profile

• Location: Pleasant Hill,Cass,MO
Good "Tech support, clone line, price, works with wireless."
Bad "website neeeds a bit of work."
Overall "Get VOIPo! If you can."

When I first got the adapter it would not register and took 4 day to do get it working, this is because I use a WISP and a wireless router which causes a double NAT. The tech support is the best there is they kept at it 'till they got it working, if I could I would give them a 7.

Once we got it working it is MUCH better the our POTS with that we had to have the volume at MAX on our phones, and now at the second lowest setting it is 10x better audio quality. There is a broken word every now and again, but that due to wireless not being as stable as wired. Setting the QoS on my router helped with this.

Over all love it.
I will update from time to time.

UPDATE: FEB 01 2009. Well, I got my number ported, it went well, it took more than 14 days, but still a great service, price, and it rocks.

Tech support still #1.

I was hit by the device getting un-registered thing, but I'm back up and running now.

Well, not much more to say, I will update more when I need to.

Update 02/21/2009

Got a new phone system, and VOIPo still is working great. I have not had a real problem since I got the PAP2 ATA, everything has been working great, I read some posts that others were having problems, but I have not had any.

I hope VOIPo keeps up the good work.

Will update when needed.

Comments:

Review by havahava See Profile

• Location: Fairfax,Fairfax,VA
Good "Great Support Stuff , courteous and willing to help"
Bad "You need too much help from the support staff to make this work , mine is still not resolved"
Overall "VOIPO not ready for prime time or has too many issues that still needs to be ironed out"

I have been with VOIPO for 2 months now and haven't had a week of trouble free service. The only time I did not have to interact with support was when I was on vacation for 10 days.

Issues :

1) Static on my phone , after some tweaking yesterday seems like one way. I could barely hear the other side but my voice was loud and clear.

2) Sometimes the phone rings and I pickup the phone and it's dead air, sometimes the phone doesn't ring at all and fails over to my cell phone.

3) Interestingly I have found that rebooting Grandstream ATA fixes the problem ( everytime) . I even tried one of those timers that switches off/on the adapter every night but not much help. So now before making a call I reboot my ATA and then call people.

4) Support has moved me around to different servers but of no avail. They addressed the STUN server issue but of no avail.

5) Support shipped me Linksys PAPT2 , it didn't work but support was able to identify DNS issues. After it got resolved it worked for 3 hrs and it stopped registering. Support says it is some wierd issue .

If I were to charge minimum pay for the amount of time I have spent with customer support this service turns out to be far more expensive than Vonage which by the way worked just fine behind the very same ISP and router for 5 years.

I am sure this service will improve given the quality of support folks but I really like a service where you don't even need to call support. As regards Vonage I had 1 call to customer service in 5 yrs I was with them.