VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Uptime is impressive"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Awsome service!"

·Vonage
·OlyPen, Inc.
·Wave Broadband
09/14 All quiet. Yep- still working. All our business lines have since been moved over and continue to operate flawlessly.

02/14 All quiet. everything's just been working. Going to add a number soon for our business.

11/12 All quiet. everything's just been working.

11/10 All quiet. everything's just been working.

6/19/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/25/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/4/09 Things still great here. couple small issues this week resolved quickly including one that required a datacenter move. Wow! My companies choice for a provider sure has never responded so quick and complete as issues have arisen. These guys are serious about making sure the service stays up!

To date my service from them is still rock solid. Doesn't miss a beat.

I was on the beta now for over a year. In that time I gave up the Qwest service I had that I said I would not do as I watched other voip services have so many problems. I am now a paying customer and couldn't be happier.

Since most of us started out as BYOD all that was needed was a log-in and all was set.

As a beta this service had better up time than my place of employment's chosen established provider and Still continues to be the case up till now.

The equipment that has been provided for the test now is rock solid no problems.

I'm recommending them highly!

sales@voipo.com if your interested.

Comments:

Review by matthias8 See Profile

• Location: San Bruno,San Mateo,CA
Good "call quality, reliability, new VPanel"
Bad "nothing, really"
Overall "it's cheap, and it works."

It's been a year since I signed up with Voipo. I am using the service with the adapter they provide and a plain old wireless phone. I also use it with a Bria 3 softphone under Windows 8. Either way works fine.

At the time I signed up, I was debating whether to choose Ooma, instead. But Voipo has a few nice features that would have cost more with Ooma (in included 2nd line and 60 minutes of international calls included per month, most importantly). The hurdle was that with Voipo I had to sign up for 2 years in advance. Thinking back, I think that seeing their CEO respond to criticisms on this board (he still does that - amazing!) is what gave me confidence to try them out. Anyway, I am glad I did sign up. The billing has always been correct, the setup has been straight-forward, and the service is reliable. To me, that's what this is about. At a time, where more and more of my calls are done through the cell phone, I just want the landline to be cheap and hassle-free. Voipo is that. I also tested Vonage before signing up with Voipo. Vonage call quality was outstanding. Their customer service is fantastic. But their bill is also 4 times as high.

Since signing up, the Voipo service has also seen some improvements. They have redesigned the account control panel. and it does look much more professional, now. And new (free!) features were introduced: Integration with Nomorobo to ward off unwanted sales calls, for example. And a free iNum phone number to make no-cost international calls with subscribers of other IP phone services.

For me, Voipo just hits the spot.

Comments:

Review by macaholic See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "The service itself once setup is solid. quiet on the telemarketer front. unlike timewarner. "
Bad "phone device is not upnp, customer service is off weekend and has email service only"
Overall "would be better with more CS and upnp devices. "

Good so far. Did not do number transfer because somehow my number while at Time Warner became tainted. Lots of marketing. Word to the wise. Make the primary number your cell number and use your new voipo number for the quiet family only knows phone. Works great. Price is total 135 + 50 fee/ 12 .

The 2 year folks pay less for sure but I want to try this out before the full commitment.

Main issue. The Voipo folks send out a non upnp compliant adaptor. This is why if you have a router you MUST read the provided instructions sent with the device (if they print it.. it's for a reason. m-kay? ) and set your router according to that:

1. assign a static ip for the voipo device mac address.
2. forward 5004-65000 UDP bi-directional to that ip address.

If Voipo could figure out how get these babies flashed to be upnp which talks with your router so you don't have to do all the above nonsense yourself. Or they get a supply of upnp phone adaptors for new folks. They would be perfect. Otherwise you need a network geek in the house or be prepared to relinquish control to voipo tech support.

Minor peeve: time for a control panel beautification project. Perhaps an app?

Comments:

topgun

·PHONE POWER

That is not enirely true!

You can put the adapter behind the DMZ although I have not had any problems with it just plugging it in and leaving it alone. Or use this software like I do with many clients just to make life easier for then and me. »portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

FYI I have talked to the CEO they made they Cpanel the way they did for a reason. Beautiful means more load time, not as straightforward, and ends looks up looking cluttered. JMHO if you want eye candy play Bejeweled?
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody
macaholic
join:2003-08-31
Jackson Heights, NY

Re: That is not enirely true!

dmz is same thing. you still need to put the device on a statiic pre-assigned ip. DMZ to this device is a bit overkill. And using third party software to do the settings... uhm no. That should be provided by the company. Your post makes my other point clear.... for now this service is for geeks only. Other folks will have to muddle through.

get a upnp device.

the website can still be its simplistic self... the left navigation is where some real thought needs to happen. Too much pecking to figure out where things are.
"You don't subject minority rights to a referendum." Justice Minister Irwin Cotler of Canada

Re: That is not enirely true!

Looks pretty simple to me My friend who is not a techie had it figured out within 10 minutes. To each their own.
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody
macaholic
join:2003-08-31
Jackson Heights, NY

Re: That is not enirely true!

"My friend who is not a techie had it figured out within 10 minutes. "

good for them. still a fugly navigation.

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
·Callcentric

Why are you having to forward so many ports to your ATA?

You should not need to forward any ports at all for VOIPO service to work.
And, you don't need UPNP to make it work, either.

The outbound registration your device makes should be enough to have VOIPO do the NAT hole punching for you.

I don't know what instructions that VOIPO sent you, but those can't possibly be right. If you are making an outbound registration your device should be able to communicate to VOIPO what ephemeral port to use for RTP (and especially the same for incoming calls).

UPNP is a Microsoft invention, and is not meant to be used on the WAN side in place of port forwarding. It is supposed to be for internal network use only because it has no authentication at all.

Have you checked with VOIPO support to see if their ATA supports the STUN protocol (and has a STUN server defined)?

In the absence of session border controllers STUN should provide the requisite NAT help that VoIP needs to connect properly.
I have Callcentric service, and I have never needed to forward ports.

Review by topgun See Profile

• Location: Plattsburgh,Clinton,NY
Good "Awesome Support Reps, Great Call Quality, CEO invovlment in forums, Price"
Bad "It's not Free :D"
Overall "Solid budget phone service that will fit 99% peeps needs. :)"

·PHONE POWER
Ordered the 2 year promotion on 8-20-14 the adapter arrived from Cali to NY on Sat the 23rd. Talk about fast! My friend Marguerite was having problems with PhonePower. We did everything we could from putting adapter in DMZ, SIP ALG was off, etc. Apparently the route calls take through Fairpoint then over to Cali is horrible? Other people in the forums have experienced the same issues. They were awesome helping as much as they could but I needed to try another VoIP company to help with the process of elimination.

Went over to see Marguerite on Sunday with my friend Mary and brought the HT-702 with me from VoIPo. It was as easy as unplugging 4 cables from the old adapter and plugging 2 of them back into the new adapter along with power from the included adapter. Within a couple of minutes she had dial tone and the rest is history.

Put in for a number port on Monday and got a port date that Wednesday for the following Monday. September 1st (my birthday) came and went but on a positive note her number ported without a hitch sometime in the early morning. Here is the form for anyone that needs it »www.voipo.com/Porting.pdf

Call quality has been awesome and so far no hiccups that either one of us has noticed in reliability. Only thing I would suggest doing ASAP in Device Control is turning down the gain. Most headsets are capable of cranking up the volume loud enough to blow your ears out. By default it is set to Extremely High maybe it is to compensate for all the old ladies using VoIPo? Anyway, I first experienced the static\echo they described when playing back a voice-mail. Went into the Cpanel really quick and nuked it to normal and that was that.

CEO is one of the nicest peeps you would ever want to meet. He offered to help me out of a possible jam without me knowing until he emailed me. Although phone support hours are not as broad as PP their email support is manned 24\7 and is very fast (within hours) to reply.

Both are excellent choices depending on what your needs are. Variety is the spice of life and would encourage anyone who sees this review to compare both of them and make an educated decision based on your needs.

Comments:
Henderson

join:2014-09-21
New London, CT

Great call quality

Thank you for sharing this information.

Re: Great call quality

My pleasure

Review by ivansjunk1 See Profile

• Location: North Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "cheap, at least for a while"
Bad "bad service, bad equipment, bad customer service and mediocre service"
Overall "not worth it! Look elsewhere."

I've had voip phone service for the past 10+ years. Nothing is perfect but this one takes the cake. Paid $149 for 2 years and put up with the mediocre service because it was cheap and was using as secondary house line. Before the 2 years were up, noticed a charge on my CC for $199. Researched and found it to be an UNREQUESTED renewal for a year. Tried calling several times but they are in Cali and Iam in NY so it was hard to get anyone to talk to for awhile. In the mean time, the service stopped working.. After many calls, emails and reading on troubleshooting, it looks like the adapter (piece of crap) finally gave up. They say they can replace, for $50. the thing is 2+ years old, worth $10 new on eBay but they want $50!!! I call to cancel and request refund but they say that the refund will offset the price of their old equipment. AVOID THIS COMPANY!! Crappy service, Crappy equipment, Crappy customer service and only care about taking your money!!

Comments:

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

VOIPo is great...

For what it is. Cheap phone service.

I've had them for many years. A few issues here and there, but customer service has been fantastic and has resolved every issue. They are responsive and competent.

My primary service is with another provider who offers far more features, but they also are not as cheap. I keep VOIPo as a backup and primarily use them when I know an outbound call is going to last for more than 10 minutes (unlimited outbound).

I highly recommend buying a voip phone, and not an ATA. The Panasonic KX-TGP550 (or 551) is awesome.

Unhappy

@50.121.98.x

Re: VOIPo is great...

I just experienced the same thing as ivansjunk1. Won't be using this company nor referring others to it in the future. I have no way of getting to my equipment to obtain it let alone get it back to them and they said my account will not be cancelled until I do and they are charging me the $49.50 fee. BEWARE!!! All nice until you go to drop the service. My advice to anyone that has signed up discontinue the charge card you originally signed up under otherwise they will automatically bill you for the next year and for the equipment.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

2 recommendations

Re: VOIPo is great...

Did they provide you a pre-configured ATA *for free* when signing up? If so, then don't you think cancelling the service warrants them to want it back to give to a new subscriber? I already gave them back their ATA as I ended up buying my own.

Also, if you have phone service and don't renew, your phone service, *and number*, will be cancelled. Personally, I wouldn't be pleased if my primary phone number was lost because I forgot to renew phone service.

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL
·VOIPO
To the OP: Thanks for the "heads up". I'll be sure to port my number about 30 days B4 my contract expires. $199/yr for my light usage (under 300 mins/month) is excessive and far more than what I am paying now ($185/2 yrs).

And regarding the VOIPo ATA, I'll mail it back at least 3 months B4 contact end as I am BYOD and I never liked their GS502 but need it if I loose my BYOD registration password.

VOIPO

Hello,

Sorry to hear your weren't happy with your service.

Since our service is subscription based, it's automatically renewed until cancelled.

In terms of equipment, we provide the adapter for free for using during your subscription, but it must be returned to us if you cancel service.

We try to be as fair and reasonable as possible. If you don't feel like something was handled fairly or in accordance with our policies, please contact me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you for your past business and good luck with your new provider.

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

I have been with VOIPo since their early days and have moved many people over to them. Every so often there are issues that are inherent to anything that is Internet based. The price you can't beat. The features, as few as they may be, they have are great and allow you to do all kinds of incredible things. The previous company (ViaTalk) I was with had some great toys, but horrible phone service. VOIPo, in time I hope will have more toys, but up front has great phone service.

Tech Support has been the best I have ever encountered. I have an issue or any of the many people that I have brought over, submit a ticket online and within 10-15 minutes I have contact, if not the answer to the problem. Then a couple days later I get and eMail asking if I am OK. WOW! Sometimes I think I'm having problems and all of a sudden it's gone, making me wonder if there was one at all. Later I read somewhere that there was an issue and it was found and dealt with immediately without me having to do anything. They are on the ball all the time. Their up time has been great. Other companies I have dealt with didn't even know what the term meant.

AND if I have had an issue, that a few were on my end, they started looking on their end first. Then if it were traced to me, we dealt with it. But they start on their end. The first time this happened to me I wasn't sure how to handle myself. Everywhere else, it's all your fault, it's your hardware, it's the way you were standing, ballet poses, that made the problem and you need to fix it. Even though they know the issue is on their end (ISPs).

With VOIPo, you can't go wrong. If there are reasons that you think that you need to go elsewhere, then it is your problem not theirs.

Oh, P.S., VOIPoTim, the CEO has some insane amount of posts online helping anyone that needs it, just like he posted here. At one time I swear I saw a number under his avatar somewhere and it was like over a billion posts to his credit. Now that's customer service.
Newport Beach, CA

Re: Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

Thank you! I really appreciate you (and everyone else too of course) posting. It's always nice to see positive feedback. We really do try to provide the best service we can at the budget pricepoint and work very hard to do it so it's always nice to get feedback that our effort is paying off.

Thank you for your business!

said by FarmerBob:

Review by PCInTech See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Full featured, reliable calls, knowledgable staff"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "as good as it gets for a good price"

I've been through quite a few providers, and was with my last for 10 years. However, they seemed to be paying less attention to small residential users, like my previous provider of several years as well, so I went shopping for another service that provided equally stable service and similar full features. I came upon VOIPo through recommendations here in the forums. Boy, am I glad I did! Not only am I saving money, but I'm getting an even better service than before. The Grandstream HT702 ATA was shipped immediately, receiving it in just 48 hours, pre-provisioned. All I had to do was plug it into my router and it just worked. But even before I got the ATA, I had a chance to use the FAX service through the personalized control panel to send my number porting paperwork in. I was seriously impressed!

The call quality is better than any landline I've ever had, the second cloned line is a God-send, and everything works as-advertised. Their CEO is an active member of this forum, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to do business with. Right now, I'm doing month to month, which is still cheaper than my previous service, but as soon as I have some extra cash, I'm going for the 2 year plan, where you can get the service for under $6.50/mo. everything included! There is no activation or shipping charges, and your order gets immediate attention. GET THIS SERVICE! I've seen 'em come and go, and this one is a keeper!

Comments:

Review by dwangel See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great Tech Support, Price and Voice Quality"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Company and Product!"

8.23.2014. Another great year of service. Small hiccups here and there. No big deal. With today's tech, everything has hiccups. Tell me one thing you did not have occasional hiccup on. I-phone? Plenty. internet outage? sure. Car (expensive car)? let's not even go there. Almost 4 years running now. I see Tim Cook is still tirelessly taking care of his customers on this board.

11.21.2013. It's been over three years now. I just thought of checking the reviews and found some unhappy experiences by other VOIPO customers. I thought to present an opposite point of view. For the last three years, I am happy to say my VOIPO service has been in smooth sailing almost all the time. I occasionally had issues with international calls. But after a short exchange with customer service, they were always able to fix it. I am also happy to say the customer service level has not dropped since I joined three years ago.

VOIPO is a perfect service for me. I am like everyone else, have a cell phone, email, Skype, facetime, etc. So I don't use my phone very much. A couple of my friends canceled their land line and carry their mobile phones on their belt clips in the house. It is so inconvenient. I pay VOIPO $8.0 a month and have six wireless phone handsets. I can pick up a phone from just about anywhere in my house. I love the features it offers. My most commonly used ones are blocking unwanted calls and forwarding calls when I travel.

Keep up the great work and great price VOIPO!

5.22.10. It's been four days since I hooked up VOIPo. I had been busy testing it. Calls to the USA works great. Today I placed two International calls. The call to China is crystal clear but very echoy. The other side needed to wait till my echoed voice stop before she could talk. For many people this maybe a problem. For me I can live with it because I use various internet services (such as Skype) to call China and they all echo to some degree. Maybe it is because of the distance. The call to England, however, was excellent. It is almost better than the calls domestically. It was crystal clear and no echo at all. It is like my dad was standing next to me. More update later.

5.17.2010. After 5 years, I finally said good bye to Vonage. I just could not take the ever increasing price any more. It is getting a bit of comical. But company got to make its decisions to stay financially viable. So as a consumer, I got to make my decisions to stay financially viable myself. The decision is VOIPo. My number was officially ported to VOIPo today.

So far my experience has been really good with VOIPo. Received adaptor quickly. Installation was a non-event. Plug in and I had a dial tone. Emailed support regarding number transfer. Answer was prompt. That was refreshing.

I was an early VOIP service adaptor, first as an employee user at Time Warner Cable for 2 years. Then after I left Timer Warner, I signed up with Vonage for 5 years. So far I am pleased with VOIPo. I already recommended to a friend of mine who is currently on Time Warner's triple-play plan. He is thinking about it, waiting to see how I fare with it.

Someone was saying VOIPo's website was un-professional. I think it is just fine. It's got everything I need. The most important thing is making sure phone works. I don't care if it does not have a fancy website.

I read a lot of reviews from here and it made me confident enough to sign up for two years. To repay the debt, I hope my positive review will help another as well.

I will keep updating this as time goes on.

Comments:

Cristina

@69.127.181.x

Happy with service

I signed on 08/10/2013 for two years. I reboot it twice in all this time. I can't ask for a better deal. I am very happy and highly recommend it. There are people that are always finding something to complain. We all know someone like that.
Give it a try, nothing to lose and a lot to be satisfied.

Review by Leahjennings See Profile

• Location: Canton,Stark,OH
Good "Inexpensive phone service"
Bad "Unreliable phone service- substandard equipment"
Overall "A cheap phone that doesn't work isn't saving you any money."

I purchased the 2 years for $149 which after taxes etc. became $165. After several issues we finally got the phone working. Within a few weeks the phone had a dial tone but wouldn't dial out. VOIPO changed the server and it worked for a few weeks again, and then wouldn't dial out or receive calls.

After a few months of no problems I chalked the earlier issues up to just getting everything up and running and decided to take advantage of their "renewal offer for existing customers" where they rewarded their loyal customers by charging them more than new customers. This was 2 years for a total of $185. This should have been a HUGE red flag for me.

4 months ago my adapter wouldn't power on. That's when I found out they wanted me to pay an additional $50 for a new adapter- remember I've paid $350 already. After a few days my adapter seemed to work again.

2 weeks ago my adapter died completely. VOIPO sent a replacement power cord- despite the fact that the power cord wasn't the issue. I have paid for phone service through March 2016 and refuse to give them another penny so my "money saving" phone doesn't function.

This is the quote on the home page of their website "We actually care- It may sound crazy in this day and age, but we care about your experience with our VoIP service and appreciate your business. Really."

Yeah, absolutely. More like- we take your money and don't care if we provide a service, and please pay us more money.

Update 8/2014- After posting my review and contacting the owner of the company- he sent out a new adapter and it's working now.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO. Sorry to hear about this bad experience.

Please contact me at tim @ voipo.com with your VOIPO phone number and any ticket numbers for this so I can look into it for you. You shouldn't have been charged for an adapter replacement unless you damaged it.

Please contact me directly so I can review everything and make sure everything is handled appropriately.

I was able to locate your account based on your username here and I have already put a free replacement adapter in our shipping queue to go out today for you.

Please contact me at tim@voipo.com to discuss this further so I can make sure you're all taken care of.

Replacement

Hi Leah,

I'm glad we were able to get this resolved for you.

I agree that support should have replaced the adapter without hassle and am going to address that internally to make sure faulty adapters are diagnosed earlier without so much back and forth and hassle. We have to do troubleshooting to make sure an adapter is legitimately bad, but in your situation that could have been determined long before it was. Sorry again for the delay in that.

Thank you again for your business!

Review by CP43 See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Nothing. Never worked."
Bad "Did not ever work after 5 attempts by Tech Support to Resolve"
Overall "The are using cheapest Carriers for land connection service so don't expect it to work consistently "

I ordered Business Service. And ordered an extra Cloud Based Number which should have worked right away but never did.
Once number was assigned I forwarded it to my Verizon cell phone and tried to call.
Attempt 1: Busy signal
Attempt 2: 1 ring then Busy signal
Attempt 3 - 14 more of the same except on 2 occasions the cell phone rang 2 times then the connection dropped and I got a busy signal on my home phone that I was calling from.

*** Read the MANY truthful reviews regarding how BAD the service inconsistency is AND you will be able to discern the TRUTH.

Tech Support ticket. Told that they would do a "Route Treatment" give 5 min and try again. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #2: Technician said they had tested on most of the 15 available Carrier Routes but there was a few left and try this one. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #3: Was told they would Re-provision the line, meaning disconnect and re install the number. More of the same...
Tech Support ticket #4 & 5 no better and service never worked to complete so much as 1 phone call.
I think the facts tell the story. They are clearly using Route Carriers (meaning land line phone companies for switching and routing) that are bottom of the barrel with terrible inconsistency because of old failing equipment.
If you want lots of headaches at some point they will be a good choice.

Comments:
Pufferty

join:2014-07-07

Contact the Owner

Timothy Dick, known around here as VoIPoTim, is very involved and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you.
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our service.

If you'd like me to review it for you, I'm happy to look at your tickets to see if we could have handled anything differently or if it's just a case where we didn't have a good route to the particular destination you were trying to forward to.

Feel free to reach out to me at tim @ voipo.com if you'd like me to help.

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Nice $185.00 price every 2 years, great phone features"
Bad "Too early to tell"
Overall "Great price, company, and service. "

10 July 2014

Order service after giving up on Lingo my other VOIP provider. What I get in return is better service, vastly lower price, lower international rates, better tech support and more phone features than I can use. It pays to do your research and if your current provider can't do the job well, get a better one. The nomorobo feature is great and the service can do just about anything.

member for 11.5 years, 1490 visits, last login: 113 days ago