VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Bink See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, unlimited calling, emailed voicemail, features, call routing, US-based support"
Bad "Generally clueless US-based support"
Overall "Great value with efforts being made to move past value brand"

I’ve been a customer for almost a year now and I can say I’m generally pleased. There were some minor hiccups during the initial install and some BYOD service consistency issues at times, but, generally, the service is good. They are also making strides to go beyond being the low cost leader and their founder goes above and beyond when it comes to online interaction. That said, I have to say the support is consistently below par. While you might get a quality support person at times—and it's great when this happens—in general, the majority of the support personnel seem lazy and nonchalant. Generally, support tickets are randomly bounced around the personnel, personnel tend not to take time to understand the history of the ticket and they don’t seem to understand their product well, and this is systemic.

So, in summary, good product, good price and hopefully your interaction with support is minimal.

member for 8.1 years, 4254 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by robharrisva See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Call Quality, VPanel interface, Response time to trouble tickets"
Bad "Inbound calls get disconnected after 60 minutes"
Overall "Good value, but disconnected calls kills it"

Been a customer since 2009. With each passing year, the service has gotten better and better. Tech Support has always been there to resolve issues (i.e. No receive audio, Echo, Noise) in a timely matter.

However, in November 2013, I suddenly started experiencing problems with inbound calls being disconnected after 60 minutes regardless of originating carrier. VOIPo tech support has now indicated that all troubleshooting efforts have been exhausted. Sadly, this means that I probably won't be a VOIPo customer much longer.

Comments:

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Good feature set, EXCELLENT customer service, just works!"
Bad "None, really. Minor: Would like service dashboard upon login."
Overall "A solid choice for primary service."

·Earthlink Cable ..
8 February 2014: Update.

Another year, little more to say. The new control panel is now available to all Voipo users, but it's still not the 'default' panel when you log in from the main website. The new panel looks better, and almost all of the options/commands you'd want to change are available alphabetically, so everything's pretty easy to find. The one suggestion for improvement would be to have a "dashboard" shown when logging in to the control panel - whether or not certain features (call forward/do not disturb) are active, number of voicemail messages, etc. Otherwise, it's a very solid choice for me and my family.

25 Jan 2013: Update.

So it's been over 3 years since my last review. I've spent less time on DSLR, and they must have given up on requesting review updates from me. The only change in my 1 - 5 ratings is an increase in their website, due to the beta control panel. Call quality has always been fine, reliability has been fine (have never noticed the line being down), and I can't complain about value for money.

Over the past 3 years, I have made a few fairly significant changes in how I connect to Voipo. As a grandfathered BYOD user, I do not have a provisioned adapter and have brought my own device. For a while, I operated an PiaF server at home, with Voipo as a primary trunk. Even adding a layer of Asterisk between my ATA and Voipo, the service is rock solid. After running my home PBX for a while, I started having reliability issues with the hardware running my PiaF, and I migrated to a cloud service. Still no problems. I can honestly say that I'd have to log in to my control panel to look at the ticket log to see if my last ticket was one or two+ years ago. That particular problem was unique to BYOD, too; they still worked with me to fix it, even though BYOD is not supported. Over the past 3+ years, the only complaints I've gotten from household members have been either (1) related to the issue described above [which would not have happened with a provisioned adapter], or (2) resolved on my end by tweaking my home network.

Count me a happy customer!

9 November 2009: Update.

I've officially been a paying customer for over a year, so I'm comfortable posting a review update with a reliability rating. While I have given them a 5, the rating does come with the caveat that I did find CallVantage to be more reliable. The difference isn't enough to justify downgrading Voipo to a 4, but CallVantage was a tough act to beat (until they decided to beat themselves into oblivion). Since CallVantage decided to shut down, I ported our primary line to Voipo, so it obviously gets a LOT more use.

Updated rating categories:

Website - 3 (no change), because the user portal is not intuitive enough for my liking. While I have no trouble getting what I need out of it, the user portal still lacks built-in user cues and help screens to make it more user-friendly.

Ease of installation - unranked, because I'm a "grandfathered BYOD user".

Call quality - 5 (no change) I've heard occasional echos, but not sufficiently bad to lower the rating.

Reliability - 5 (first rating) We have had a few RARE instances of calls not ringing through properly, but IIRC, those only occurred while we had their SimulRing feature active (still beta, but that particular problem's been resolved). The other oddball problem was that a few of my calls were sent with the incorrect CallerID number. It seems that the issue has been resolved on a case-by-case solution applied to my account, because a few other customers have experienced a similar problem. These problems are not severe enough to merit lowering the reliability rating in my book.

Tech Support - 5 (no change) top notch, polite, happy to help. Can't ask for better.

Value for money - 5 (increase) given the reliability over the past year, tech support, etc., there's no reason to not give top marks. Fair notice - as a customer who was in from the beginning, I have an extreme discount on my pricing for as long as I have my account.

6 April 2009: Initial review.

OK, so I've been a Beta user/customer since the "second" beta period opened. Overall, reliability _for me_ has been excellent--it rarely went down during the beta period, and I have only had sporadic troubles since, but I still use CallVantage as my primary line, and I don't use the Voipo line enough to give a reliability rating much weight at this time. Right now, pricing is excellent for everyone willing to pay for 1 year up front ($99/yr), and as a "Founder" I will get that price as long as I maintain the account. Since I also have been promised the ability to connect via my Asterisk system, it satisfies my 'hobbyist' interest in having an inexpensive (even though, for my use, a PAYGO provider might be even less expensive) line.

In any case, below are the details of the numeric ratings I gave.

=============================================

Website: 3 - vPanel is plain, I'd like more checkboxes, checkboxes/radio buttons instead of dropdowns for binary features, more prominent voicemail, better contact input system. The principal reason for the relatively low mark is the lack of documentation of "how-tos". Lists of star codes, voicemail code, setup configuration, etc., should exist in very-easily-found "For New Customers" web pages, etc. In addition, clear descriptions of how features work, what they are, etc., (ideally, quick-text help links near each feature) are lacking. The feature that causes the most confusion is the 'telemarketer block.'

Ease of Installation: [unranked] I participated in the beta and continue BYOD. I know what I'm doing for configuring my account, and if there's a glitch, it's usually on my end. Therefore, it's not appropriate for me to rate this aspect of their service.

Call Quality: 5 - All calls have been clear. Not much more to say there.

Reliability: [Unranked] - OK, admittedly a cop out, but I don't use the line enough to give a fair assessment. If a gun were to my head and I HAD to choose a number, I'd probably give a 3/5 due to the complaints of issues (and acknowledgement of Voipo staff/owner) with the hope (and expectation) of raising it over the next month or two.

Tech Support: 9 - Unfortunately, I can't really give them a 9, I'm limited to 5. They've always been extremely responsive and the responses are substantive, not vacant script-reading in nature. When I wanted outgoing CID Name (LIDB population for my line), I unfortunately had to change numbers, but tech support handled it quickly, professionally, and the right way the first time.

Overall Value: 4 - Sorry, I can't give a 5 rating with reliability at a 3 (even though I haven't "officially" ranked it). If the 'wrinkles' have been ironed out, this score will definitely rise.

member for 10.4 years, 3114 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "All you can eat, one price"
Bad "Porting snafu, but resolved"
Overall "So far so good"

Recent residential move led to need for something other than a pay per minute approach (which I have for several other providers). After researching, selected VOIPO for it's $149 (+ taxes) for 2 year promo. For the price you get "unlimited" residential calling, porting, LIDB, CNAM and 911.

The only snafu was the porting. We were porting a GV number in the new area (one that we had for some time), and got the FOC date from VOIPO. But on the day after the FOC, callers were getting a "not in service" message. VOIPO claimed the number was released too early by GV, but this was the day after the FOC, so I called BS.

Tim and his team did sort it out that same day (in a matter of hours) and service since has been very good. I'm using a combo of their Grandstream device and BYOD service via my OBI-110. I actually find the call quality a little bit better on the OBI than on the GS, but I get a slight bit of latency on the OBI that doesn't seem to happen on the GS from VOIPO. So the jury is out on which approach I will take going forward.

The family doesn't notice any difference from VOIPO and their old POTS service, so that's good, really all that matters.

Now I wish that VOIPO had a way to test 911 so I could have some confidence it's set up correctly...

Update Aug 2013:

Running smoothly, updated my router which removed any connection glitches that might occur.

Still getting the occasional drop at 18 minutes (this seems to be a VOIPO thing... see other internet comments on drops between 15-19 minutes), but since this is in a non-business setting, and I am only paying 7 bucks, I'm willing to tolerate a few drops.

Still no way to test E911, hope I don't need to anytime soon.

If the renew for 2 years at the price of one is offered again, might re-up for another couple, it's been that stable.

Updated and increased my scores based on 5+ months of service.

--UPDATED JAN-2014--

As noted above, the quality and stability has been great. The occasional mysterious call drops at 18 mins have all but disappeared.

The wife and kids don't detect any difference from our old landline and we're saving a boatload of money every month.

Re-upped with the early renewal offer back in 4Q2013, I'm very satisfied, now locking in until 2017.

member for 11.9 years, 736 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dew See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "I recommend Voipo"
Overall "Very good features, service and price"

I have been a Voipo customer since the summer of 2010 and have been able to hook up the small and light Voipo box and have continuous use of my same telephone number in a number of locations where I’ve stayed for weeks or months at a time. It’s simple and easy to hook it up anywhere there has been broadband internet service.

In the account settings online, you can set voice mail to come to you as an mp3 file attached to an email. This wonderful feature has enabled me to receive messages while en route from place to place by using public wifi service and checking email, playing the messages through my media player. Voipo also offers other special features such as call recording, call forwarding, call waiting, distinctive ringtone, a “do not disturb” setting, and detailed/extensive call history records, among other features.

Customer service and technical assistance has been quick, respectful, and responsive to my needs. And the price is right! I recommend this service and this company. My brother recommended Voipo to me and has been with the company even longer than I have.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER
·VOIPO

Welcome to DSLR

Hi Dew,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you will find the world of VoIP and this site as exciting as we do!
I have a question... You write:
quote:
Are you familiar with any Voice Service Provider (VSP) that doesn't offer such service? If I were Voipo Tim, I would feel a little uncomfortable for being praised for such trivial thing (imagine praising a bank for having online access to your account).

Other than that, I agree - Voipo has deservedly great reputation in VSP community
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Review by Kill4Speed See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "voice quality has been excellent"
Overall "there are a few missing features but I'll take stable service/reliability over features any day"

I've been beta-ingVOIPo since it was offered (1yr+)
despite the fact that it's still in beta, I've rarely experience unannounced outages
voice quality has been excellent

08/04/2008 update
VOIPo is not publicly launched yet; however, I've been very happy during the (generously long) beta that I've ordered (1yr) service for my parents (nontechies, who live out of state)

10/09/2008 update
Still impressed with the VOIPo stable service; decided to port my own home number to VOIPo as well

10/22/08 update
Outstanding Customer Support! Here are some examples:

1. I submitted a ticket regarding audio quality issue with the 1st ATA sent via VOIPo (to my out of state parents). Despite the hardship caused by the hurricane, VOIPo quickly replaced the defective equipment
2. I expressed issue with audio delay of 2-3 ms in answering incoming calls with the HT-286, VOIPo promptly resolved it by upgrading my ATA to a HT-502. Thanks for saving my ears (from the wife's complaints)
3. I submitted a ticket regarding answering machine recorded busy/reorder tone after callers hung up. The support team thanked me ,"VOIPo appreciates your dedication and involvement in advancing our service and features.", and informed me that they've forward the issue to their developers

For those that want to obtain reliable, plug and play VOIP service, I highly recommend VOIPo

I'll try to update the review as time permits

03/13/09 update
Since I've learned VOIPo 'fixed' the 30 min. session timer problem with ATAs which do not support RFC4028, I've started using my own SPA-1001 (instead of the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502)
AFAIK, we did not experience the infamous "lost registration" that many have experienced; Our audio quality has been excellent; my parents ,OTOH, experienced occasion audio and registration issues; BTW, they're still using the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502. I've asked them (my parents) to keep me informed so that I can submit problem ticket to VOIPo support team

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/09

1. the 15th of this month marks our 1st year anniversary with VOIPo - yes, time flies while we're ...
2. I've paid for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)
3. Needless to say, I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo

04/18/10

Experienced a brief outage - promptly addressed by support
While I read others have/had experienced stability issues with VOIPo,
I'm still happy with the service.
One has to realize that VOIP over public network will never be as reliable as POST...
lost my thought there, but I hope everyone get what I'm trying to convey

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/10

I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo, signed up for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)

01/10/14 - Still with VOIPo - enuf said

Comments:

Review by clintsb See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Love all the features for the price, good support"
Bad "Perhaps less forgiving of router configurations"
Overall "I am still very happy with my decision"

I switched to Voipo in 2009 after having been with AT&T and they basically told me to go find another company. I had been happy with AT&T so was sorry that I had to switch. After the switch I was wishing that I had switched earlier. My call quality was just as good and all the new features were awesome. I love love the cloned line and all the call routing configurations. So now after nearly 5 years I think it is time to finally give a report.

I have had issues but with perhaps just a couple exceptions have actually been on my end. I have been in the same boat as several other reviewers where the service had been great and all the sudden I had problems. Things like incoming calls the caller couldn't hear me or that the call hung up automatically after 15 minutes. It was odd because I hadn't changed anything but when I got right down to it there was a configuration problem on the router. I hadn't forwarded all the needed ports or in the case of the 15 minute dropped call issue, it was the SPI firewall. Disabled it and everything was good after that.

One of the challenges is knowing what is a good router to use. I had been using a D-LINK Gamers Lounge(Ya old) that the power adapter died on. I decided rather than getting a new adapter I would get something that had better wireless. I got an Apple Airport Extreme router. It was strange I was able to use it for about 6 months and then I started suffering with the problems that acted like a port forwarding issue. I fought it and fought it and tried working through Voipo support. They tried their best but said it wasn't on their end. Finally I gave up on it and got a Asus RT-66R. I have had it for well over a year and it has been great and all the problems went away.

The only time I can think of a problem that was on their end we were having problems calling to Canada. It was some weird issue that they had on their end but they got it resolved.

So while we have had issues we have worked through them and by and large they really were issues on our end. To anyone looking to switch to voipo I would only caution that the service is great but you should be a little bit technical so that you can properly configure your router. If you can't do that you won't be happy. It does seem like they are less forgiving of issues with the router and sometimes you can go a long time without problems and then all the sudden these configuration problems start giving you grief.

One thing about reliability. I can live with a little bit of unreliability but my wife's tolerance is zero, it has to work or she isn't happy. Thankfully she is happy and so am I.

Comments:

Review by protosd See Profile

• Location: Southern Pines,Moore,NC

The call quality has always been bad. When I called them they were very nice and told me it was my isp. So I switched from DSL to cable with no change. They refused to replace my box. I decided to tough it out the 2 years but after 11 months it has started to drop the area code so if I dial a different area code I get a local number instead. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. That and the very bad call quality is the end of voipo for me.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and just saw this. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

If you'd like I'd be happy to have a supervisor take a look at this to see if you do have a bad adapter and get it swapped out for you if that's the case.

Would you like me to look into this for you or have you already cancelled service? We'd love to try to solve it and keep your business if it's a fixable issue.

Just e-mail your VOIPo number to me directly to tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Sorry again for the trouble and thank you for your business!

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
VOIPO.com

DocGrimwig

join:2013-12-19
Grand Rapids, MI

Response to Protosd

Don't give up, protosd!

My company uses VoiPo as our host provider to my VOIP customers.
We have been testing VopiPo for nearly a year now, and I can say (with a few minor exceptions) that what you are experiencing is only going to get better by the day, regardless of which VOIP Provider you go with. Placing all of the issues that are being experienced on to VoiPo, is more times than not, misplaced--more likely misunderstood. VOIP is a new relatively new industry. We are just now (in the US) beginning to truly embrace the thought of upgrading to a digital telephone world. VoiPo is one of the VOIP providers with a great track record with their last company (Host Gator) that recently sold for more money than you and I have jingling in our pockets to be sure. They got that opportunity because of their commitment to the customer. No, I am not a shill for VoiPo, I promise. I do not know Mr. Dick or his team with the exception of his engineers through whom I have had the pleasure of speaking with as my company tests their products. They are truly my competitor--But that's how much respect I have for them.
Yes, I have had issues myself, but for the most part they were fixed in a matter of minutes, and most of the time the fault lay with our implementation of the technology; the ISP; and even more times with the telephone equipment and wiring.
All of us who are braving this exciting new tech all need to understand that we are getting 400 horsepower (digital service) of service out of a 200 horsepower engine (analog service). What I mean is that, we are trying to shove a far superior technology through equipment and wires meant for lo-tech. You want a GREAT experience with little chance of failure? Try purchasing a VOIP telephone and use that instead of an adapter and old tele equipment and see what VOIP truly has to offer. You will very pleased.
We, as VOIP telecom companies are trying to bridge a technology gap until the marketplace catches up with our technology advances. So if you are using the VOIP service with analog adapters and telephone equipment, you should expect to receive a good experience if you have all of your equipment and wiring up to standards. After that, it's up to the ISP (who is delivering your packets of voice information to the person you are calling), to be able to handle the static noise etc. that most likely is emanating from our non-digital equipment. The key is that analog service can handle a loose connection, lots of static etc that is common with analog configurations and equipment. Digital is very intolerant of it. It's because of the way information is transmitted.

Bottom line, Hang in their with VoiPo and VOIP in general Protosd! AT&T just announced that they will be out of the analog business ENTIRELY by 2020. They have recognized the superiority of VOIP and are abandoning copper wiring altogether and coming over to our side finally. So you want to have a discussion about talk about bad service? You can expect a consistent downgrade of service and experience as the #1 player in analog business goes out of the analog business! Happy Holidays Proto, VoiPo and all others on this forum!
Doc

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Great support, communications from VoIPo, call quality, steady - consistent service"
Overall "Great price, Great tech support when needed. BEST value for service and features, period....."

·Cox HSI
UPDATE: 12/4/2013

Great service. Very satisfied. Would like to see new features, e.g. soft client or mobile device SIP support (and is probably available today with 3rd party apps). Click to dial would be a great option as well. I recently change routers and did have to configure port forwarding on new router to work correctly.

UPDATE: 7/11/2013

Continued my service for another 2 years -- $159 for two years, so about $6.65 per month!! Unlimited calling/LD. Really do not use the service much as everyone in the house uses cellular services now. However, when I do use the service -- always works. Still Highly Recommend this service.

UPDATE: 1/16/2012

Continued my service for another year due to another great year of reliable, consistent service. I want my dial tone to be a "non-issue". Excellent service, call quality has exceeded my expectations. I receive high value for the amount I pay. I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

Update: 6/25/2011.

Continued my service. Excellent service, call quality is very, very good. I will say, as I used vanilla Tomato (on a Linksys router), Tomato USB variant has made this service ROCK SOLID -- i.e. it can recover automatically from any network glitches. This is the overall, best value for Voip services -- period. All other complaining must have a technical problem, which the Voip consumer industry, as a whole, must just deal with. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

UPDATE: 7/29/2009.

Service continues to be excellent. Issues seen during late 2008/early 2009 are history. If you plan to use Tomato or DD-WRT, expect to have to modify some settings to handle a router reboot. I run Tomato and found I had to make modifications to UDP packet timeouts, with the excellent help from the VoipO support team (and help from Wireshark).

Clearly the best service/value combination I have found. Couple things people need to understand. If you need to fax -- get a POTS line from your local, traditional provider for 'basic lifeline services', add a dial-around plan for LD calls. Don't even think you can get by with faxing on Voice over IP service -- if you can, consider yourself lucky. If you can't, and you complain, you are simply a fool. Lastly, make sure you have a clean network at home. I recommended VoipO service to a few people and a couple of them had problems. I personally looked into their problems and found they had packet loss on their local network because of bad cables. Garbage in gets Garbage out.

Original Post:

Very good service for the price level paid. Genuine concern for their customers. Excellent communication by management to customers. Problems are resolved fast when encountered. Excellent call quality.

Comments:

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

Faxing over VOIP??

Don't know what this VOIP vendor is doing to prevent/hinder faxing, but I regularly fax, both send and recieve, over Vonage with absolutely zero problems..
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Mobile Device SIP Support

You mentioned this—and I’ve been satisfactorily using VOIPo with the SIP client built into my Android phone for almost two years now.