VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Kill4Speed See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "voice quality has been excellent"
Overall "there are a few missing features but I'll take stable service/reliability over features any day"

I've been beta-ingVOIPo since it was offered (1yr+)
despite the fact that it's still in beta, I've rarely experience unannounced outages
voice quality has been excellent

08/04/2008 update
VOIPo is not publicly launched yet; however, I've been very happy during the (generously long) beta that I've ordered (1yr) service for my parents (nontechies, who live out of state)

10/09/2008 update
Still impressed with the VOIPo stable service; decided to port my own home number to VOIPo as well

10/22/08 update
Outstanding Customer Support! Here are some examples:

1. I submitted a ticket regarding audio quality issue with the 1st ATA sent via VOIPo (to my out of state parents). Despite the hardship caused by the hurricane, VOIPo quickly replaced the defective equipment
2. I expressed issue with audio delay of 2-3 ms in answering incoming calls with the HT-286, VOIPo promptly resolved it by upgrading my ATA to a HT-502. Thanks for saving my ears (from the wife's complaints)
3. I submitted a ticket regarding answering machine recorded busy/reorder tone after callers hung up. The support team thanked me ,"VOIPo appreciates your dedication and involvement in advancing our service and features.", and informed me that they've forward the issue to their developers

For those that want to obtain reliable, plug and play VOIP service, I highly recommend VOIPo

I'll try to update the review as time permits

03/13/09 update
Since I've learned VOIPo 'fixed' the 30 min. session timer problem with ATAs which do not support RFC4028, I've started using my own SPA-1001 (instead of the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502)
AFAIK, we did not experience the infamous "lost registration" that many have experienced; Our audio quality has been excellent; my parents ,OTOH, experienced occasion audio and registration issues; BTW, they're still using the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502. I've asked them (my parents) to keep me informed so that I can submit problem ticket to VOIPo support team

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/09

1. the 15th of this month marks our 1st year anniversary with VOIPo - yes, time flies while we're ...
2. I've paid for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)
3. Needless to say, I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo

04/18/10

Experienced a brief outage - promptly addressed by support
While I read others have/had experienced stability issues with VOIPo,
I'm still happy with the service.
One has to realize that VOIP over public network will never be as reliable as POST...
lost my thought there, but I hope everyone get what I'm trying to convey

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/10

I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo, signed up for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)

01/10/14 - Still with VOIPo - enuf said

member for 7.2 years, 2617 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by clintsb See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Love all the features for the price, good support"
Bad "Perhaps less forgiving of router configurations"
Overall "I am still very happy with my decision"

I switched to Voipo in 2009 after having been with AT&T and they basically told me to go find another company. I had been happy with AT&T so was sorry that I had to switch. After the switch I was wishing that I had switched earlier. My call quality was just as good and all the new features were awesome. I love love the cloned line and all the call routing configurations. So now after nearly 5 years I think it is time to finally give a report.

I have had issues but with perhaps just a couple exceptions have actually been on my end. I have been in the same boat as several other reviewers where the service had been great and all the sudden I had problems. Things like incoming calls the caller couldn't hear me or that the call hung up automatically after 15 minutes. It was odd because I hadn't changed anything but when I got right down to it there was a configuration problem on the router. I hadn't forwarded all the needed ports or in the case of the 15 minute dropped call issue, it was the SPI firewall. Disabled it and everything was good after that.

One of the challenges is knowing what is a good router to use. I had been using a D-LINK Gamers Lounge(Ya old) that the power adapter died on. I decided rather than getting a new adapter I would get something that had better wireless. I got an Apple Airport Extreme router. It was strange I was able to use it for about 6 months and then I started suffering with the problems that acted like a port forwarding issue. I fought it and fought it and tried working through Voipo support. They tried their best but said it wasn't on their end. Finally I gave up on it and got a Asus RT-66R. I have had it for well over a year and it has been great and all the problems went away.

The only time I can think of a problem that was on their end we were having problems calling to Canada. It was some weird issue that they had on their end but they got it resolved.

So while we have had issues we have worked through them and by and large they really were issues on our end. To anyone looking to switch to voipo I would only caution that the service is great but you should be a little bit technical so that you can properly configure your router. If you can't do that you won't be happy. It does seem like they are less forgiving of issues with the router and sometimes you can go a long time without problems and then all the sudden these configuration problems start giving you grief.

One thing about reliability. I can live with a little bit of unreliability but my wife's tolerance is zero, it has to work or she isn't happy. Thankfully she is happy and so am I.

Comments:

Review by protosd See Profile

• Location: Southern Pines,Moore,NC

The call quality has always been bad. When I called them they were very nice and told me it was my isp. So I switched from DSL to cable with no change. They refused to replace my box. I decided to tough it out the 2 years but after 11 months it has started to drop the area code so if I dial a different area code I get a local number instead. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. That and the very bad call quality is the end of voipo for me.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and just saw this. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

If you'd like I'd be happy to have a supervisor take a look at this to see if you do have a bad adapter and get it swapped out for you if that's the case.

Would you like me to look into this for you or have you already cancelled service? We'd love to try to solve it and keep your business if it's a fixable issue.

Just e-mail your VOIPo number to me directly to tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Sorry again for the trouble and thank you for your business!

VOIPO.com

DocGrimwig

join:2013-12-19
Grand Rapids, MI

Response to Protosd

Don't give up, protosd!

My company uses VoiPo as our host provider to my VOIP customers.
We have been testing VopiPo for nearly a year now, and I can say (with a few minor exceptions) that what you are experiencing is only going to get better by the day, regardless of which VOIP Provider you go with. Placing all of the issues that are being experienced on to VoiPo, is more times than not, misplaced--more likely misunderstood. VOIP is a new relatively new industry. We are just now (in the US) beginning to truly embrace the thought of upgrading to a digital telephone world. VoiPo is one of the VOIP providers with a great track record with their last company (Host Gator) that recently sold for more money than you and I have jingling in our pockets to be sure. They got that opportunity because of their commitment to the customer. No, I am not a shill for VoiPo, I promise. I do not know Mr. Dick or his team with the exception of his engineers through whom I have had the pleasure of speaking with as my company tests their products. They are truly my competitor--But that's how much respect I have for them.
Yes, I have had issues myself, but for the most part they were fixed in a matter of minutes, and most of the time the fault lay with our implementation of the technology; the ISP; and even more times with the telephone equipment and wiring.
All of us who are braving this exciting new tech all need to understand that we are getting 400 horsepower (digital service) of service out of a 200 horsepower engine (analog service). What I mean is that, we are trying to shove a far superior technology through equipment and wires meant for lo-tech. You want a GREAT experience with little chance of failure? Try purchasing a VOIP telephone and use that instead of an adapter and old tele equipment and see what VOIP truly has to offer. You will very pleased.
We, as VOIP telecom companies are trying to bridge a technology gap until the marketplace catches up with our technology advances. So if you are using the VOIP service with analog adapters and telephone equipment, you should expect to receive a good experience if you have all of your equipment and wiring up to standards. After that, it's up to the ISP (who is delivering your packets of voice information to the person you are calling), to be able to handle the static noise etc. that most likely is emanating from our non-digital equipment. The key is that analog service can handle a loose connection, lots of static etc that is common with analog configurations and equipment. Digital is very intolerant of it. It's because of the way information is transmitted.

Bottom line, Hang in their with VoiPo and VOIP in general Protosd! AT&T just announced that they will be out of the analog business ENTIRELY by 2020. They have recognized the superiority of VOIP and are abandoning copper wiring altogether and coming over to our side finally. So you want to have a discussion about talk about bad service? You can expect a consistent downgrade of service and experience as the #1 player in analog business goes out of the analog business! Happy Holidays Proto, VoiPo and all others on this forum!
Doc

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

Comments:

Review by bird95134 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Great support, communications from VoIPo, call quality, steady - consistent service"
Overall "Great price, Great tech support when needed. BEST value for service and features, period....."

·Cox HSI
UPDATE: 12/4/2013

Great service. Very satisfied. Would like to see new features, e.g. soft client or mobile device SIP support (and is probably available today with 3rd party apps). Click to dial would be a great option as well. I recently change routers and did have to configure port forwarding on new router to work correctly.

UPDATE: 7/11/2013

Continued my service for another 2 years -- $159 for two years, so about $6.65 per month!! Unlimited calling/LD. Really do not use the service much as everyone in the house uses cellular services now. However, when I do use the service -- always works. Still Highly Recommend this service.

UPDATE: 1/16/2012

Continued my service for another year due to another great year of reliable, consistent service. I want my dial tone to be a "non-issue". Excellent service, call quality has exceeded my expectations. I receive high value for the amount I pay. I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

Update: 6/25/2011.

Continued my service. Excellent service, call quality is very, very good. I will say, as I used vanilla Tomato (on a Linksys router), Tomato USB variant has made this service ROCK SOLID -- i.e. it can recover automatically from any network glitches. This is the overall, best value for Voip services -- period. All other complaining must have a technical problem, which the Voip consumer industry, as a whole, must just deal with. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

UPDATE: 7/29/2009.

Service continues to be excellent. Issues seen during late 2008/early 2009 are history. If you plan to use Tomato or DD-WRT, expect to have to modify some settings to handle a router reboot. I run Tomato and found I had to make modifications to UDP packet timeouts, with the excellent help from the VoipO support team (and help from Wireshark).

Clearly the best service/value combination I have found. Couple things people need to understand. If you need to fax -- get a POTS line from your local, traditional provider for 'basic lifeline services', add a dial-around plan for LD calls. Don't even think you can get by with faxing on Voice over IP service -- if you can, consider yourself lucky. If you can't, and you complain, you are simply a fool. Lastly, make sure you have a clean network at home. I recommended VoipO service to a few people and a couple of them had problems. I personally looked into their problems and found they had packet loss on their local network because of bad cables. Garbage in gets Garbage out.

Original Post:

Very good service for the price level paid. Genuine concern for their customers. Excellent communication by management to customers. Problems are resolved fast when encountered. Excellent call quality.

Comments:

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

Faxing over VOIP??

Don't know what this VOIP vendor is doing to prevent/hinder faxing, but I regularly fax, both send and recieve, over Vonage with absolutely zero problems..
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Mobile Device SIP Support

You mentioned this—and I’ve been satisfactorily using VOIPo with the SIP client built into my Android phone for almost two years now.

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Price and Reliability"
Bad "VOIPo ATA does not support home wiring according to VOIPo support."
Overall "YMMV"

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
·Cox HSI

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

Review by dwangel See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great Tech Support, Price and Voice Quality"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Company and Product!"

11.21.2013. It's been over three years now. I just thought of checking the reviews and found some unhappy experiences by other VOIPO customers. I thought to present an opposite point of view. For the last three years, I am happy to say my VOIPO service has been in smooth sailing almost all the time. I occassionally had issues with international calls. But after a short exchange with customer service, they were always able to fix it. I am also happy to say the customer service level has not dropped since I joined three years ago.

VOIPO is a perfect service for me. I am like everyone else, have a cell phone, email, Skype, facetime, etc. So I don't use my phone very much. A couple of my friends canceled their land line and carry their mobile phones on their belt clips in the house. It is so inconvinient. I pay VOIPO $8.0 a month and have six wireless phone handsets. I can pick up a phone from just about anywhere in my house. I love the features it offers. My most commonly used ones are blocking unwanted calls and forwarding calls when I travel.

Keep up the great work and great price VOIPO!

5.22.10. It's been four days since I hooked up VOIPo. I had been busy testing it. Calls to the USA works great. Today I placed two International calls. The call to China is crystal clear but very echoy. The other side needed to wait till my echoed voice stop before she could talk. For many people this maybe a problem. For me I can live with it because I use various internet services (such as Skype) to call China and they all echo to some degree. Maybe it is because of the distance. The call to England, however, was excellent. It is almost better than the calls domestically. It was crystal clear and no echo at all. It is like my dad was standing next to me. More update later.

5.17.2010. After 5 years, I finally said good bye to Vonage. I just could not take the ever increasing price any more. It is getting a bit of comical. But company got to make its decisions to stay financially viable. So as a consumer, I got to make my decisions to stay financially viable myself. The decision is VOIPo. My number was officially ported to VOIPo today.

So far my experience has been really good with VOIPo. Received adaptor quickly. Installation was a non-event. Plug in and I had a dial tone. Emailed support regarding number transfer. Answer was prompt. That was refreshing.

I was an early VOIP service adaptor, first as an employee user at Time Warner Cable for 2 years. Then after I left Timer Warner, I signed up with Vonage for 5 years. So far I am pleased with VOIPo. I already recommended to a friend of mine who is currently on Time Warner's triple-play plan. He is thinking about it, waiting to see how I fare with it.

Someone was saying VOIPo's website was un-professional. I think it is just fine. It's got everything I need. The most important thing is making sure phone works. I don't care if it does not have a fancy website.

I read a lot of reviews from here and it made me confident enough to sign up for two years. To repay the debt, I hope my positive review will help another as well.

I will keep updating this as time goes on.

Comments:

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

member for 11.9 years, 2512 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_check.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)

Review by dsl1234 See Profile

• Location: Golden,Jefferson,CO
Good "Excellent service first 30-90 days. If you hit the jackpot and find the service reliable, the price is great."
Bad "15 minute call drops on every softphone/BYOD call; frequent 1-way audio; ineffective tech support"
Overall "Service quality declines the longer you use them - best to avoid VOIPO"

Ordered the 2 year package which would cost $8/mo paid in advance if you stay with them the full 24 months. They provided a new Grandstream ATA. But service quality gradually declined, particularly with frequent one-way audio. We have tried everything they suggested. We even purchased our own Obi100 instead of their Grandstream. Either device still gets unreliable service with VOIPO. The frequent one-way audio and precise 15 minute disconnects on every call placed through a softphone or BYOD such as an Obi100 were major annoyances. They disconnected all of our Obi100 calls after 15 minutes to the second. They also want you to forward a huge range of router ports in an effort to get their service to work. But it did not help at all in our case.

Pro: Cancellations after 30 days are prorated which is a better cancellation deal than some others if you cancel. But watch out for auto renewal if you don't want to renew! And port your number out first before you cancel if you want to keep your number.

Pro: They provide a telephone adapter device that is preconfigured for use with Voipo. This means potentially easier setup of their service than some services where you provide the device and configure it yourself.

CON: If their phone adapter breaks, your service is down until they can ship you a replacement. You cannot go to the computer store and buy an adapter as a replacement because if the VOIPO adapter is broken and is therefore not registered to their network, you cannot add a BYOD adapter or a softphone. You also may not be able to get them to cross-ship a replacement so your downtime without phone service could be significant.

Our test of VOIPO vs voip.ms:

We even signed up with another provider called voip.ms and put them on port 2 of our Obi100 while voipo was on port 1. The voip.ms service on port 2 has worked for about a year with no need for tech support and no 15 minute disconnects!

Our Obi100 was configured using preset profiles provided by both VOIPO and voip.ms at Obitalk.com. So our device is in effect configured by each provider for their own port. Our conclusion after a year of comparison is that the voipo.com service is not usable and we have decided to port our number out to another provider several months before our VOIPO contract runs out.

Voipo also claims to support softphones BYOD, but when you try to connect your own device, you may run into this message:

"Unfortunately we have not verified that your device is currently provisioned and registered to VOIPo's network, please ensure your device is currently connected and registered in order to retrieve your softphone SIP credentials!"

which means you have to always have a Voipo-provided device connected or at least at the ready to resolve any issues with your BYOD. If you use a softphone and you are away from home and encounter a BYOD/softphone issue, your service could be disrupted until you can get home and get the official Voipo device reconnected and re-registered. It can be an annoying nightmare trying to use this service if you have to troubleshoot anything.

Tech support consists of boilerplate emails telling you to restart the Grandstream and router and to port forward a huge range of ports. If that doesn't work and your Grandstream or BYOD phone adapter is behind your firewall (like it should be for security), you will get a notice that they don't support even their own Grandstreams if attached behind a firewall.

Given all the gotchas with Voipo, don't be surprised if problems arise with your service. But if you luck out and do not have problems, rejoice and enjoy the low price.

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I had the same problems when I first got service with them. I did with several others too. The others couldn't figure it out so I moved on to and have been with VOIPO for many years. And this was since their beginning. As far as their Tech Support they bent over backwards never once blaming me or pointing fingers as everyone seems to do these days. And still to this day immediately jump on any issue I have. Trouble Tickets are answered within 15 minutes. The techs are the same U.S. based group that have been there for a long time and are quite friendly, proficient and expedient at what they do. Come to find out, the problems that were happening were caused by the ISP I had at the time. Who's your ISP, that makes a big difference in how anybodies VoIP service runs. Also, if your ISP has their own VoIP product, they might very well be "favoring" their service over yours and that's where it gets problematic. I have 7 neighbors on their service and only one is having problems and they are still on the Telco DSL that the rest of us left and went to more solid cable where these issues are gone. Now as with any VoIP service there are going to be hiccups now and then. But I have seen very few lately and if they are anything I need to have TS on, they are dealt with in short order.

Although VOIPO chose to concentrate on phone services, unlike ViaTalk my previous provider, I have also found that for the price they have the most and best added on features of any service. With them I have been able to tailor my lifestyle where I am not annoyed with the trappings that you usually get with a POTS or other services.

As far as accusations about the way their actions are tailored to create revenue, I'd get some facts before making statements like that. It's all conjecture on your part and does not add to the review. Plus their TOS are not all that different than the rest.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO

Re: That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I really don't think the ISP is relevant since another provider on port 2 of the same Obi100 telephone adapter device VOIPO is on works fine - (obviously with the same ISP for both ports.) It's the same phone adapter, the same router, the same ISP but VOIPO does not work and voip.ms does work. Go figure. But if you have good results with VOIPO, stay there - they have a great price.

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Cheap. Note, not inexpensive. Cheap."
Bad "Giving up on this service. I've had enough of the problems."
Overall "Don't waste your time with this company."

11/6 - And canceled! I've had Ooma for almost a month. So far, no 1-way audio issues. No dropped calls. No call quality issues. Multi-ring just works (tm) and so far, aside from the slightly higher costs, I'm not missing VoIPO. Hopefully, they can turn things around.

10/13 - I've had enough. Switching as soon as I can.

5/12 - Dropped my rankings on call quality, reliability, tech support and value for money considerably.

On regular occasion, I call my parents. 99.9% of the time, there's a problem. Here lately, I call them, they can hear me, I can't hear them. They call me and get a busy signal. We're both customers of VoIPO.

I will email tech support. They'll fidget with our accounts. For a day or three after that, everything works fine. Then, suddenly, I can't make any out bound calls. So, they'll fidget some more. Then I can make out bound calls but I can't call my parents.

My patience is running very thin with this company at this point.

------

12/11 - Service is okay for the most part. There are some weird issues. Such as if my parent's call me. I can hear them. They can't hear me. Router settings from the last time this happened haven't changed. Sometimes I dial a number and nothing happens - even if I have dial tone. For the price, I tolerate it.

-------

1/11 - After a year of no issues, my parents decided to switch. We both scored a 2 year deal for $180 (taxes inclu.). Install for the parents went smoothly. However, we weren't able to place calls to each other. If I called them, they could hear me. But I could not hear them and vice versa. Opened a ticket with VOIPo and it was resolved in about a week. I had to port forward 5004-65000/udp to the ATA. Doing that resolved all of the issues.

4/10 - No issues or outages so far. I've sent several general question/comments to VOIPo and they were responded to in a very quick fashion. Even general off-the-wall type questions have been answered quickly and professionally.

Ordered on 12/2/09. Got the adapter on 12/5/09. Ordering was easy.

Thought I had a regular phone to hook up to this adapter. Turns out that isn't the case. Threw them all out after getting used to the Uniden cordless adapter for Packet8.

The Linksys Broadband router they sent me is of used condition. And the warranty tag on the bottom of it is broken.

member for 9.7 years, 4785 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Robert Varel

@verizon.net

VoipO

I've had this service for over 5 years. We have had no problems with this service. Excellent reception and voice quality. Never miss a call and I like the fax features.

Re: VoipO

I to have been a customer for quite some time. And the problems are getting worse and worse.

I get people who send me emails or call my cell phone because my home line rings or says the number is no longer in service.

I get tons of one way (and here of late no way) audio issues.

Support sucks. They just go over the same script each time I notify them of a problem. I've put the MTA (now on the second MTA) directly on the cable modem and the issues persist. Connectivity to their network doesn't seem to be an issue based on their diagnostics.

So, enough is enough.

Janet

@14.192.210.x
Yup. I too use the service after reading some review about Voipo at voipbands. So far so good.

·ViaTalk

There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

I ran to them after having many major problems with ViaTalk and several other providers that makes what you are going through pleasurable. What you are going through sounds exactly like what I did in my early days with VoIPO. I think I'm going on 6 years now. Just reupped for another 2 last Spring and am looking to bring the other house line over real soon. And even though they have been around a while, the VoIP biz is still kinda in its fledgling years. As far as VoIPO, their tech support has been the best I have ever encountered and Yes, I had my problems just like yours to the point that a good many Techs know me by my first name. And as you said you eMailed them. I get a response with in 5-20 minutes every time and mostly telling me it's fixed or that they did something, to reboot my ATA and it's fixed. This kind of TS is unheard of and I have never had TS like this anywhere before. And the guys are great, funny and personable. Their CEO VoIPOTim can be seen in many forums with, seriously, about a billion posts from him directly to customers trying to help. Now mind me, I'm not saying they're perfect. None of these services are. They all have their idiosyncrasies. But VoIPO is a lot better, with great features, not as many as some providers I have had - but in time I hope. I think they went for quality over gadgets first. And for the price, you get more bang for the buck than many other providers.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is when you put a service like this on an Internet carrier, VoIPO has to accommodate all their idiosyncrasies to make things work for you. It's not as if all ISP's were identical, only in a perfect world, and they could blanket tune everyone. Still to this day we have issues but nothing that hasn't been take care of in minutes. ALSO a big game changer was when I moved, for this reason specifically, from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast, things got a lot better instantly. And since I have had some erratic problems, but a lot fewer issues now that I have a "better" Internet connection. I have moved over several of my neighbors and see that things do vary as to who they have as their ISP. This is a big kicker with VoIP. It can only be as good as your ISP and personal network.

I would think that if your parents have them there must have been at least some good in this to make you switch over. You are far too new on their service for them to have located your issues and had a chance to address them. Of which is part of getting services like this these days. I have had the same connections issues with one of my neighbors that is still on CL. We use each other as testbeds. He is having the same problems across the board that I did before I moved to cable Internet. So . . . hang in there if you are serious about having VoIP phone service. You'll have to no matter who you have as a provider.

Take Care and Good Luck. It'll all work out.
. . . fb

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Far too new? Really? Going on 5 years is too new? How long, exactly should they take to find my issues?

My parents are on a cable provider and have the same issues as I do. Though, not as severe as I have it with regards to local calls. For the record, they followed me to VoIPO.

I've emailed Tim. Many times. And you're right they do return your emails pretty quickly. But the problems never get fixed. Well, they do. For a week or two. Then they break again. And then the T1 techs say its my network or router settings (which never changed) that must be the problems.

When I was a Vonage and Packet8 subscriber, these kinds of issues were *non*existant*. Shame their prices are so crazy high.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Well then, I guess it's time to cut your losses and move on. If I had all the problems that you still do for this long I would have moved on long ago. As I was looking to do and tried one more thing, moving from telco DSL to Cable and things are 90% better now. My one neighbor that is having the same problems I was is still on the same telco DSL I had. The rest, we have all moved to cable for Internet. I bet the minute he's off it and on a better service things will change. But now that most everyone is offering a type of "phone" over their services, it'd be hard to find an Internet provider that wouldn't favor their service over yours. The same problem I had with SprintION, 1998-2002, when Qwest gave them grief. I lost the best Internet and phone service we'll ever see. I'm moving the rest of my house over to VoIPO at the end of the month. Was just waiting for the family to get settled with the new Hopper before I threw more different stuff at them.

And yes, VoIP service in some respects is very new. Now my ION service, over 10 years ago was perfect so it can be done. These days it just depends on what you get for what you pay for.

Take Care and Good Luck . . .

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Consider them cut. In the month I've had Ooma there's not been one issue with 1-way audio (my firewall rules are back to most restrictive). No issues of availability. No issues with multi-ring. No issues with audio quality.

Just none.

I do concede, a bit, that the ISP can impact services. However, after having Vonage, Packet8 and now Ooma - none of the services have/had the problems that VoIPO has.

I called Dad tonight on my cell. He could hear me. But I couldn't hear him. 2 nights ago, his number was unavailable from both Ooma and Verizon. I suspect they'll be losing another account before too much longer.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·callwithus

said by FarmerBob:

I completely disagree with this attitude. VoIP is mature enough that any problem can be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and the root cause identified. The question is "is it worth the effort at this particular price point". For Google Voice you are completely on your own, and business providers offer strong SLAs. Voipo obviously is much closer to free Google Voice and - by comparison - their support is terrific. But at some point they blame router, internet provider, and California weather instead of additional troubleshooting.

Note: I've had 5 lines with Voipo; very happy with 4 and had to cancel 1 (about which Tim was very professional, and I have nothing but good to say about the process). So, it's not to bash Voipo - it's just you need to understand what you are getting. More expensive providers have more robust troubleshooting andproblemsolving tools.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here. It's quantitative analysis from my time having VoIP services since the late 90's and having been part of many sides of the industry. VoIP may have it own level of maturity, but it has a way to go and a battle with ISP's that can and will be real children when you use their pipe for third party VoIP and not theirs. Just read the industry trades.

Of all the services out there VoIPO and company for the money are the best. I love my "Founders" account.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·callwithus

said by FarmerBob:

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here.

That's part of the attitude that I am talking about. You disagree with me (which is perfectly fine of course), but for some reason you feel entitled to call my wording wrong. What makes you think that your quantitative analysis is better than mine, or that your read of industry trades is more accurate than mine? You didn't give any reasons, and none come to mind.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

WHOA! Way off on a major tangent. Your the one that used the word "attitude" which it isn't. It's more of an opinion from exposure, if anything else. And I never said my QA was better than your anything. I was just defending myself and addressing your use of the word "attitude".

It anything is of "attitude" it's your poorly worded defensiveness.

Sorry I ever posted.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO
Aren't you saying you don't mind poor service? You don't mind emailing tech support and rebooting your equipment, etc. I live near Littleton too and have voip.ms here and don't have to do this stuff working with tech support, rebooting adapter, rebooting router, etc, etc. Evidently the service you have had elsewhere is so bad, it makes Voipo look good, but you are actually getting only fair to poor service quality based on your own description.

said by dsl1234:

No. Not at all. Just the opposite, I'm getting great service. Why else would I re-up for another 2 years, have brought over several neighbors and am moving all my numbers to their service?

I'm not sure what you are reading?

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.