VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Pufferty See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Excellent Call Quality, Excellent Control Panel, Accessible Owner"
Bad "Limitation on International Calling for Those who Bring Their Own Device"
Overall "Excellent VoIP Provider with a Personal Touch"

7/22/2014 (Dated as I plan this to be an ongoing review):

As an owner of an Obi, I was saddened to hear of the anticipated demise of XMPP and the phenomenal Google Voice arrangement that we've enjoyed for a few years. At first I decided to make use of one of the "Approved Service Providers" with whom Obihai has teamed up to provide some continuity ("Old Provider" for the sake of this review). However, it quickly became clear that the cut-rate price meant that I'd be getting cut-rate quality. A little after three weeks into service with Old Povider, I promptly cancelled and got my money back as I was within the refund period.

Before doing so, however, I looked for a place to land (and into which to port my number that I had foolishly ported over too quickly to Old Provider). VoIPo stood out to me, as I had found its owner - VoIPoTim - active in the forums and with a very professional and courteous demeanor. After having to deal with a slew of pleasant-though-unhelpful customer service reps at Old Provider, I found Tim's visibility appealing. I sent him a PM and asked a few questions to get a sense of his business (was it new? what did they have to offer? how helpful was Tim when asked a bunch of questions?). I was pleasantly surprised to find Tim to be incredibly responsive and patient and VoIPo's control panel - which he kindly allowed me to see via a demo account - to be far and away cleaner and more polished than the one at Old Provider. VoIPo provides all the standard features, including call forwarding, call whitelisting/blacklisting, call-routing and the like, as well as more unique features like full integration with NoMoRobo (to my knowledge, the only VoIP provider with such direct integration), extensive telemarketer blocking, and iNum number assignment.

I've now been with VoIPo for 2 weeks and it has been a perfect experience so far. I've tweaked myself to how I want it, and did not need to consult any FAQ or userguides to do so, as the Control Panel is easy-to-understand and designed to have concise and clear instructions posted next to all functionality. Call quality has been markedly better than at Old Provider (in fact, I was blessed to have witnessed repeated service interruptions at Old Provider immediately after signing up, as it enabled me to get out before I'd lose my refund and to learn that such problems were part of a pattern with them over the past few months). I did have a few questions, which I directed to Tim and which he quickly answered without ever once suggesting that it was inappropriate of me to seek his help and not reach out to tech support instead.

The only "Bad" I can think of, and which I think is more a result of fraud prevention than an effort to limit functionality for users, is that if one is "bringing your own device" (or "BYOD") to VoIPo instead of using an adapter they provide, then one is prohibited from calling any other countries than those appearing on a list. Countries that don't appear on this list are apparently excluded due to the high level of fraud and abuse that exists with calling access to these countries and I suspect that only those with VoIPo-provided adapters are allowed unrestricted access to all countries because VoIPo is able to have more control over the provisioning of these devices. I asked Tim whether a concession could be made with respect to one country (which is the only international calls I'd ever be making) and was told that an exception could not be made. This is not a problem for me as I was able to set up additional pay-as-you-go service on my Obi from another provider (CallWithUs) and ultimately, prefer this arrangement as the rates are more competitive than those provided by VoIPo anyway.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with VoIPo and, more importantly, know that if that ever changes, I will have access to a responsive and involved owner, Tim. That, to me, is the key reason for going with VoIPo.

Comments:
thunder15

join:2008-01-18
Chicago, IL

good leadership = good company and service

I would have to say that Tim is very professional. I am not surprised that the company is in a good position since it has good leadership. I would work with him anytime.

I hope your service and relationship with this company continue to be good one.

Review by Steeler Fan See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA

I used voipo for almost 2 years.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

VOIPO Owner Response

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and am very sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Please e-mail me directly with your VOIPO number at tim @ voipo.com and I'm happy to personally reach out to the carrier to make sure they release the number.

We don't have a lot of control over porting since that's handled at the carrier level, but it sounds like the upstream carrier is definitely not handling this appropriately. They don't give us the ability to provide any name/address for a number so the only one they should have on file is ours. Porting in and out is routine so they should definitely not be confused about it.

I'm happy to personally reach out to our contacts at the carrier to help you with the transfer.

I'd also like to look into your support history. It's very concerning that a support agent would laugh at your issue and I'd like to review the call history. Laughing at an issue reported by a customer while it's still unresolved definitely isn't the norm for us and if that's something I find an agent doing, I'd very likely fire them. I apologize for any bad experience you had there and would like to review the call history.

It sounds like you have the attention of Verizon and I can get the attention of our carrier partner so if we can get in touch and connect them both with all of us looped in the conversation then there's no reason they can't get it done.

Please get in touch with me at tim @ voipo.com so I can try to help you and make this right.

I know you're no longer wanting to use our service and even once this is resolved, you may still not like us due to this bad experience, but I'd like to at least work with you to get the carrier to release the number and also address the support issue you had. As I said, I'm the owner of the company and this is definitely not how we do business so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it and address this both with the upstream carrier (they should not be rejecting/delaying) and with the support agent(s) you dealt with.
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

VOIPO

Thanks for the fast e-mail. I received it and just replied to it.

I also reached out to our carrier (Broadvox) and they will likely reach out to their underlying carrier that this number is with (Verizon Wholesale).

Since ultimately the underlying carrier is already Verizon Wholesale, it doesn't seem like they should have an issue porting it from one Verizon division to another. Hopefully once they realize that they are already the carrier, they can get this taken care of very quickly.

I'm also going to be looking into your support issues as I said.

Please keep in touch with me until this is fully resolved as I really want to help you see it through since you shouldn't be having this issue to begin with.

Review by digger16309 See Profile

• Location: Raynham,Bristol,MA
Good "Never feel like I might not have a dial tone when I pick up the phone"
Overall "I just realized I've had them for 6 years!"

5/27/14: Just happened back here and forgot I did a review six years ago. I have re-upped with them three times since my last review. I'm paid through 2016. Just solid in every way the past six years.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

11/14/08: I had an issue with my ATA not behaving. I received excellent support including overnighting me 2 different replacement ATA's which I ended up not needing. I was never told to put the ATA in the DMZ (amen to that). Still feeling great about my choice to sign-up with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

10/20/08: I got an equipment upgrade to the Granstream 502 ATA which does pass through the MWI indicator to my Panasonic phones. That was my only issue thus far and it was solved.

10/4/08: I was not part of the Beta, but I became a subscriber/user post-Beta, pre-launch. Because of this, the fees (e911, USF, and whatever else) were waived for the first 6 months.

My number ported flawlessly. I forwarded calls to a temporary virtual number until the porting, which worked OK, then I deleted the virtual number.

Communication is exceptional. Upon signing up, I think I received 3 or 4 different e-mails from them with various information.

The ATA is a Grandstream and it is basically plug n play. I have not accessed any of the settings, nor have I needed VOIPo to make any changes.

The MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) on this specific Grandstream ATA does not pass through to Panasonic Dect 6.0 phones. This is a minor issue, one that I hope is fixed in the next firmware update.

I gave the web site a 4 only because at present, pre-launch, there is little to no documentation so some things you have to figure out on your own, though the majority of it is intuitive if you have had Voip with another carrier.

Call quality has been excellent.

When I make calls, the line actually rings

There is never any dead air when I make a call.

No outages thus far.

Tech support is very fast. Of course, they don't have many subscribers at present, so I'm interested to see what happens at launch.

After 6 weeks, so far so good. I recommend VOIPo to anyone looking for Voip that works out of the box and does not require constant server shuffling, outages, constant problems with upstream providers, router issues, or "the customer is always wrong customer service".

Comments:

F R Ross

@162.204.168.x

VOIPo Service

I have now had VOIPO service for 3 years and have never had any real problem. The call quality is usually excellent, and if it is not, it is usually the service on the "other end", which has problems. I talk to my kids all over the country, sometimes several times a day, and never worry about what it will cost or if I can get through. I am so happy with the service I just renewed for 2 more years, and I wasn't even due to renew until August (2014). When the wife and I see our local cable provider offering a voip service with free calls in the Local Area only for $ 45 per month, we just laugh. AT&T keeps offering us $ 150 to sign up for their phone. Ha Ha. I told them to take a hike 5 years ago when they took over our local area land-line service and wanted to up our charges (without long distance) to $ 70 a month. Now, I strongly feel the term "long distance charges" should be dropped from the language.

Review by zerco See Profile

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "smoking"

I have had VOIPo for 5 years. These guys are great, support is a little bare bones, but they got back to me the same day both times I needed something. Yeah 5 years, 2 issues. I contacted them in 2009 during setup and recently as the Linksys adapter died. The shipped a new one free of charge the same day. Call quality is exceptional and this thing just works.

Comments:

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Set it and forget it"
Bad "Nada, niente, nichts, rien, nil"
Overall "Plug it in and forget it"

·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
April 12, 2014 ---

We are using VOIPo's service as our main residence number in our Boca Raton home. We have not had any recent problems or glitches ... no need to contact their excellent customer support folks for quite some time. The improved website as well as the excellent feature set, including faxing and SMS, are are serving us well.

Frankly, my wife no longer thinks of our VoIP setup (including a second backup line with another excellent provider) as one of my usual 'follies'.

======================================================
July 9, 2013 ---

VOIPo continues to perform brilliantly. The recent changes to their website have made negotiating the site child's play. The addition of SMS texting, allowing the outgoing CallerID for any given text to show any of the account's DIDs (in most cases), even fax DIDs, is greatly appreciated ... given the uses I have for texting. My recent contact with customer service to request info on linking my iPhone's BRIA app to my VOIPo account resulted in a quick, helpful and accurate response.

======================================================
November 15, 2012 ---

I've deleted my prior comments, begun in 2008 after a period as an alpha-tester and subsequently a beta tester.  Because the past is the past. it is more appropriate at this juncture for me to report my current views about VOIPo.

Over the last 4+ years, I have updated my reviews every 6 months or so.  My prior comments chronicled the initial development stages and steady improvement in the areas of quality, reliability, service and support.  For the longest time, my only reservations concerned the website appearance and functionality. But now, with the website "up spiff", I have nothing left to complain about.

For those who want a provider-provided pre-set ATA (adapter) ... no need to fiddle with the technical aspects of setting up the adapter ... and a fixed annual cost with no surprises ... VOIPo fits the bill nicely.

member for 9.2 years, 3526 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

"Almost unlimited"

What do you mean by "almost unlimited?" What's the limit?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

Re: "Almost unlimited"

There has been lots of discussion and dialogue and debate over the years ... in the BBR Forums ... relating to the use of the term "unlimited" in the marketing of VoIP services. This term would seem to indicate that there are no set limits (caps) on outgoing and/or incoming calls with non-PAYG (non-Pay-As-You-Go) accounts ... i.e., accounts with fixed monthly or annual fees.

It has become a standing "joke" at this point that just about every provider that advertises "unlimited calling" actually does have a limit applied to monthly minutes usage.  With some providers, a specific cap on usage is mentioned (buried) in their Terms of Service (TOS) while others have a secret cap that is only discovered when the end user surpasses that value and is billed for overages or involuntarily upgraded to a more expensive business account.

Thus, the expression "almost unlimited" represents a sarcastic/cynical interpretation by many seasoned posters in the VoIP Forum.

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Responsive customer service, great price, great features."
Bad "None for a year now (see review)"
Overall "Amazing value, getting more reliable all time."

Update 3/23/14

I know it's been available for a while but I've just started using the newly user control panel for VOIPo. The control panel, or VPanel, in VOIPo-speak allows you to log in online and manage the features and review your account. A feature rich service like VOIPo's makes for complex account management! The revised VPanel is huge improvement, simple to find what you're looking for and with plain English description of options and features when needed. Nice one VOIPo!

Otherwise...
No glitches or hiccups in the service since the last review and the call quality is always great.
I did contact support with one technical question (an ugly hardcore low-level puzzler) and they got back to me quick and with the correct info.

These guys'n'gals are clearly knocking the ball out of the park for VOIP service.

Update 10/6/2013

It's been a year? No way!

Well I have no update to report. No issues. Working fine without a hitch for a year now.

I'm still get great responses (timely and intelligent, techie/nerdy as needed) when I ask for a clarification on a services/features.

I realize now that VOIPo have changed how I see telephone service since I dropped Verizon years ago. Despite the bumps along the way.

The ratings have been upped to reflect the reliable service and solid support.

Update 12/2013

Woah! Sorry, an update is so overdue!

A serious tech issues came back in November 2012, sometimes incoming calls were immediately directed to voicemail. VOIPo worked with me and in late November updated the firmware. Since then there's been no instance of anything not working correctly.

I've update the ratings to reflect the new reliability and the support.

Update 9/21/2012

Ahhh, I'm getting so burned out on these technical issues!

Since the update to the FW I've been getting partial breakdowns every few weeks. What happens is the VOIPo servers loose the registration of my internet/phone adapter. I'm left with a dial tone and can dial out but all incoming calls go straight to VOIPo voicemail.

VOIPo have asked me to take the adapter off UPS in case dirty UPS power is causing the problem. I have plugged it into the outlet direct but the issue reccurs. My UPS logs show the power has been clean and my modem shows the ISP connection has been stable during these "events."

On their part VOIPo have been responsive to support tickets, though the responses are getting more and more terse. In response to the current issue they have changed a value in the adapter firmware that will make the adapter more tolerant of server connectivity fluctuations. Time will tell if that resolves this latest issue.

With so many good reviews of VOIPo I suspect some of these problems are ISP related, so it's not a wholely bad reflection on VOIPo... but it's just one issue after another!

Another update coming in a month, or sooner.

Update 8/9/2012

After raising another support ticket for one-sided calls (even with modem before router) VOIPo support flashed a new firmware in my phone adapter. Since then, a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Let's hope this sticks.

Update 7/3/2012

Well , not much has changed. We're still getting one-sided calls happening. Sometimes the rate of this peaks to well over over half the calls, but usually stays lower, about 1/4th of all calls. I've also had disconnects if I'm using the mute on my phone.

Despite the perfect pricing plan that VOIPo has for my usage pattern, the service just hasn't been reliable enough to keep. I can't tell if the issue is with Cox (my ISP) or the ATA hardware, or VOIPo's service/servers but I do know VOIPo service, as responsive as it is, hasn't resolved or pin-pointed the problem.

VOIPo has fantastic plans, pricing, and features, but it just ain't reliable enough. I am shopping around now for alternatives.

Updated 1/17/12

Sorry, this is so overdue!

Been having some issues, like others in these reviews, about calls not connecting and one sided calls. This has been going on for months.

VOIPo support has been responsive to every ticket. I've been put on different VOIPo servers, had two ATA devices, ran diagnostic internet performance tests, moved devices on my LAN, setup porting/routing on my router, had call routes provisioned, traffic switched to just VOIPo servers...

But, I'm still getting call connection issues.

This may not be VOIPo's fault, there is still my Surfboard, Cox Communications ISP, and the Internet at large in the mix.

I will update again... soon.

_______________________________________________________

Had VOIPo for a year now, just renewed for another year.

Well, there's not much to say really. It works, it's reliable if your ISP, modem and router are reliable. (I'll qualify that later.)

They provide a telephone adapter, it goes after the modem/router and you plug the phone line right in, standard phone jack... and off you go.

The package I find suits me best is the 1year, it includes 60mins/month international landline calls, never any charge to any number in the US.

The fax line was additional $25/year, it works using document upload/e-mail and it works great.

Voice mail can be received in e-mail as well as accessed via the phone handset.

The online account management is great, easy to use and all the features are there. And there are tons of features there.

The support is mind-bendingly fast, informative and humane. The best I have ever, ever, experienced.

I have had infrequent trouble with my router that caused the VOIPo service to be unstable,... BUT it was 100% all in my router, not VOIPo.

Porting my old POTS number was messy because Verizon & MCI were pointing fingers at each other. Once I got them sorted out VOIPo porting was fast and easy.

If I had more then two thumbs they'd all be, "Way up!" for VOIPo.

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

I'm having one sided call problems with VOIPo too

I'm pretty certain my equipment isn't at fault (I've changed ISPs/routers and the problem followed). I created a support ticket, they supposedly switched networks that I'm on, but no difference.

It's so hit and miss. At least if it were consistent I'd be more easily able to get tech support to fix it. Some days I can make lots of calls without any trouble, other days I have to resort to my cell phone.
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
rnikischer

join:2002-12-28
Ottawa, IL

Having Difficulties Also

I'm really disappointed with the service. It has become unreliable. I experience the same trouble as everyone else. I have no complaints with tech support. They are responsive. I have followed their instructions for port forwarding but the intermittent problems still exist. Problems started to surface about 6 months ago. Some days I may only get 50% of the incoming calls, the rest of the time the callers - as well as on my end, will get dead air after picking up the phone when it rings. The other regular problem is calls routing to the failover number for no apparent reason. We can't all be crazy. It has to be their service. Prior to Voipo I was with Vonage and had maybe 3 service issues in 4 years. I am running out my 2 year pre-paid plan and if there is no improvement I will regrettably go elsewhere.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·Northland Cable ..
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..

Your firewall

is the problem.

I had this problem too and had to spend quite some time getting my FW and NAT rules correct. You've got to port forward most of the UDP ports directly to your adapter.

Want to really rule out your FW? Put the adapter directly on your cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes.

Once my logs were showing clean on no port blocking the one sided calling thing went away on non-in-network calls.

In-network calls were another story.

Re: Your firewall

Yep, tried all those. Different routers, port forwarding and putting the ATA after modem-before router. No difference. Plus, VOIPo have put me on different servers, updated my ATA firmware and swapped out ATAs. Still no difference.

Apart from Cox as my ISP with a SB6120 modem everything has been changed up and tried!

But tell me...
What logs are you referring to that showed no port blocking? Where was your port blocking occuring?
What is the other story about In-network calls?

TIA!
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

Sunnyvale, CA

port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

when outgoing no-ring became a problem, VOIPo support talked me through port forwarding for my 2wire router/modem. It took under 10 minutes. Now, a few weeks later, the problem is back. Also, dialing my VM gets me a busy signal [VM emails arrive, though].

power cycling the Voipo adapter usually makes things work, but not for long. My AT&T uverse internet connection seems solid when I browse the web.

I sent another email to support after hours today.

Ultimately, reliability is more important than saving $$.
AT&T uverse voice was overpriced but reliable

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

As usual a VOIPo technician responded promptly to my email and said "I have changed the command ports your adapter is using along with updating the server your adapter connects to in order to fix the busy signal issues. Please power cycle the adapter for these changes to take affect."

I power cycled and VM now works fine.

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

That's a laugh! (and I did)

The same old routine... it gets tired after a couple of years.

Hope it sticks this time!

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

It's been 3 weeks since the fix and all works well.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

The biggest problem

I biggest problem I ever had with a VOIP phone is the uplink.
1 Mbps is barely enough to support it most of the time. 2 Mbps is much better.

I firmly believe the VOIP phones work much better in large cities than it does in rural America where the Internet is not nearly as dependable.

A engineer friend in Dallas had a 3 year pre paid contract with VoipO.When it started the same problems you talk about he disconnected. Now he is using Straight Talk for home. There are some volume issue but it works.

I had Vonage. It was okay until their equipment failed 9 months into the contract. For 90 days I had a wannabe phone. It wasn't until I quit they offered to replace it. I gave them a scathing review that is now missing. .
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Re: The biggest problem

1 MBPS could be enough, but if it's not stable then, yeah there's nothing you can do. The location of these service providers servers can be critical, and can directly affect stable connection speeds. I have used VOIPo's east and central servers and never had a bandwidth or jitter problem with either.

The issues I got have always been some systemic technical glitch that got fixed, eventually.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State

Re: The biggest problem

The only time my provider cares is when I mention my Commerce Commission. Otherwise they hope I will die or blow away.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by Bink See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, unlimited calling, emailed voicemail, features, call routing, US-based support"
Bad "Generally clueless US-based support"
Overall "Great value with efforts being made to move past value brand"

I’ve been a customer for almost a year now and I can say I’m generally pleased. There were some minor hiccups during the initial install and some BYOD service consistency issues at times, but, generally, the service is good. They are also making strides to go beyond being the low cost leader and their founder goes above and beyond when it comes to online interaction. That said, I have to say the support is consistently below par. While you might get a quality support person at times—and it's great when this happens—in general, the majority of the support personnel seem lazy and nonchalant. Generally, support tickets are randomly bounced around the personnel, personnel tend not to take time to understand the history of the ticket and they don’t seem to understand their product well, and this is systemic.

So, in summary, good product, good price and hopefully your interaction with support is minimal.

member for 8.6 years, 4503 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by robharrisva See Profile

• Location: Portsmouth,Portsmouth City,VA
Good "Call Quality, VPanel interface, Response time to trouble tickets"
Bad "Inbound calls get disconnected after 60 minutes"
Overall "Good value, but disconnected calls kills it"

Been a customer since 2009. With each passing year, the service has gotten better and better. Tech Support has always been there to resolve issues (i.e. No receive audio, Echo, Noise) in a timely matter.

However, in November 2013, I suddenly started experiencing problems with inbound calls being disconnected after 60 minutes regardless of originating carrier. VOIPo tech support has now indicated that all troubleshooting efforts have been exhausted. Sadly, this means that I probably won't be a VOIPo customer much longer.

Comments:

Review by Fisamo See Profile

• Location: Apex,Wake,NC
Good "Good feature set, EXCELLENT customer service, just works!"
Bad "None, really. Minor: Would like service dashboard upon login."
Overall "A solid choice for primary service."

·Earthlink Cable ..
8 February 2014: Update.

Another year, little more to say. The new control panel is now available to all Voipo users, but it's still not the 'default' panel when you log in from the main website. The new panel looks better, and almost all of the options/commands you'd want to change are available alphabetically, so everything's pretty easy to find. The one suggestion for improvement would be to have a "dashboard" shown when logging in to the control panel - whether or not certain features (call forward/do not disturb) are active, number of voicemail messages, etc. Otherwise, it's a very solid choice for me and my family.

25 Jan 2013: Update.

So it's been over 3 years since my last review. I've spent less time on DSLR, and they must have given up on requesting review updates from me. The only change in my 1 - 5 ratings is an increase in their website, due to the beta control panel. Call quality has always been fine, reliability has been fine (have never noticed the line being down), and I can't complain about value for money.

Over the past 3 years, I have made a few fairly significant changes in how I connect to Voipo. As a grandfathered BYOD user, I do not have a provisioned adapter and have brought my own device. For a while, I operated an PiaF server at home, with Voipo as a primary trunk. Even adding a layer of Asterisk between my ATA and Voipo, the service is rock solid. After running my home PBX for a while, I started having reliability issues with the hardware running my PiaF, and I migrated to a cloud service. Still no problems. I can honestly say that I'd have to log in to my control panel to look at the ticket log to see if my last ticket was one or two+ years ago. That particular problem was unique to BYOD, too; they still worked with me to fix it, even though BYOD is not supported. Over the past 3+ years, the only complaints I've gotten from household members have been either (1) related to the issue described above [which would not have happened with a provisioned adapter], or (2) resolved on my end by tweaking my home network.

Count me a happy customer!

9 November 2009: Update.

I've officially been a paying customer for over a year, so I'm comfortable posting a review update with a reliability rating. While I have given them a 5, the rating does come with the caveat that I did find CallVantage to be more reliable. The difference isn't enough to justify downgrading Voipo to a 4, but CallVantage was a tough act to beat (until they decided to beat themselves into oblivion). Since CallVantage decided to shut down, I ported our primary line to Voipo, so it obviously gets a LOT more use.

Updated rating categories:

Website - 3 (no change), because the user portal is not intuitive enough for my liking. While I have no trouble getting what I need out of it, the user portal still lacks built-in user cues and help screens to make it more user-friendly.

Ease of installation - unranked, because I'm a "grandfathered BYOD user".

Call quality - 5 (no change) I've heard occasional echos, but not sufficiently bad to lower the rating.

Reliability - 5 (first rating) We have had a few RARE instances of calls not ringing through properly, but IIRC, those only occurred while we had their SimulRing feature active (still beta, but that particular problem's been resolved). The other oddball problem was that a few of my calls were sent with the incorrect CallerID number. It seems that the issue has been resolved on a case-by-case solution applied to my account, because a few other customers have experienced a similar problem. These problems are not severe enough to merit lowering the reliability rating in my book.

Tech Support - 5 (no change) top notch, polite, happy to help. Can't ask for better.

Value for money - 5 (increase) given the reliability over the past year, tech support, etc., there's no reason to not give top marks. Fair notice - as a customer who was in from the beginning, I have an extreme discount on my pricing for as long as I have my account.

6 April 2009: Initial review.

OK, so I've been a Beta user/customer since the "second" beta period opened. Overall, reliability _for me_ has been excellent--it rarely went down during the beta period, and I have only had sporadic troubles since, but I still use CallVantage as my primary line, and I don't use the Voipo line enough to give a reliability rating much weight at this time. Right now, pricing is excellent for everyone willing to pay for 1 year up front ($99/yr), and as a "Founder" I will get that price as long as I maintain the account. Since I also have been promised the ability to connect via my Asterisk system, it satisfies my 'hobbyist' interest in having an inexpensive (even though, for my use, a PAYGO provider might be even less expensive) line.

In any case, below are the details of the numeric ratings I gave.

=============================================

Website: 3 - vPanel is plain, I'd like more checkboxes, checkboxes/radio buttons instead of dropdowns for binary features, more prominent voicemail, better contact input system. The principal reason for the relatively low mark is the lack of documentation of "how-tos". Lists of star codes, voicemail code, setup configuration, etc., should exist in very-easily-found "For New Customers" web pages, etc. In addition, clear descriptions of how features work, what they are, etc., (ideally, quick-text help links near each feature) are lacking. The feature that causes the most confusion is the 'telemarketer block.'

Ease of Installation: [unranked] I participated in the beta and continue BYOD. I know what I'm doing for configuring my account, and if there's a glitch, it's usually on my end. Therefore, it's not appropriate for me to rate this aspect of their service.

Call Quality: 5 - All calls have been clear. Not much more to say there.

Reliability: [Unranked] - OK, admittedly a cop out, but I don't use the line enough to give a fair assessment. If a gun were to my head and I HAD to choose a number, I'd probably give a 3/5 due to the complaints of issues (and acknowledgement of Voipo staff/owner) with the hope (and expectation) of raising it over the next month or two.

Tech Support: 9 - Unfortunately, I can't really give them a 9, I'm limited to 5. They've always been extremely responsive and the responses are substantive, not vacant script-reading in nature. When I wanted outgoing CID Name (LIDB population for my line), I unfortunately had to change numbers, but tech support handled it quickly, professionally, and the right way the first time.

Overall Value: 4 - Sorry, I can't give a 5 rating with reliability at a 3 (even though I haven't "officially" ranked it). If the 'wrinkles' have been ironed out, this score will definitely rise.

Comments:

Review by Dew See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "I recommend Voipo"
Overall "Very good features, service and price"

I have been a Voipo customer since the summer of 2010 and have been able to hook up the small and light Voipo box and have continuous use of my same telephone number in a number of locations where I’ve stayed for weeks or months at a time. It’s simple and easy to hook it up anywhere there has been broadband internet service.

In the account settings online, you can set voice mail to come to you as an mp3 file attached to an email. This wonderful feature has enabled me to receive messages while en route from place to place by using public wifi service and checking email, playing the messages through my media player. Voipo also offers other special features such as call recording, call forwarding, call waiting, distinctive ringtone, a “do not disturb” setting, and detailed/extensive call history records, among other features.

Customer service and technical assistance has been quick, respectful, and responsive to my needs. And the price is right! I recommend this service and this company. My brother recommended Voipo to me and has been with the company even longer than I have.

Comments:

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

Welcome to DSLR

Hi Dew,
Welcome to the forum. Hopefully, you will find the world of VoIP and this site as exciting as we do!
I have a question... You write:
quote:
Are you familiar with any Voice Service Provider (VSP) that doesn't offer such service? If I were Voipo Tim, I would feel a little uncomfortable for being praised for such trivial thing (imagine praising a bank for having online access to your account).

Other than that, I agree - Voipo has deservedly great reputation in VSP community
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues