VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by PCInTech See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Full featured, reliable calls, knowledgable staff"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "as good as it gets for a good price"

I've been through quite a few providers, and was with my last for 10 years. However, they seemed to be paying less attention to small residential users, like my previous provider of several years as well, so I went shopping for another service that provided equally stable service and similar full features. I came upon VOIPo through recommendations here in the forums. Boy, am I glad I did! Not only am I saving money, but I'm getting an even better service than before. The Grandstream HT702 ATA was shipped immediately, receiving it in just 48 hours, pre-provisioned. All I had to do was plug it into my router and it just worked. But even before I got the ATA, I had a chance to use the FAX service through the personalized control panel to send my number porting paperwork in. I was seriously impressed!

The call quality is better than any landline I've ever had, the second cloned line is a God-send, and everything works as-advertised. Their CEO is an active member of this forum, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to do business with. Right now, I'm doing month to month, which is still cheaper than my previous service, but as soon as I have some extra cash, I'm going for the 2 year plan, where you can get the service for under $6.50/mo. everything included! There is no activation or shipping charges, and your order gets immediate attention. GET THIS SERVICE! I've seen 'em come and go, and this one is a keeper!

member for 10.8 years, 4424 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by dwangel See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Great Tech Support, Price and Voice Quality"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great Company and Product!"

8.23.2014. Another great year of service. Small hiccups here and there. No big deal. With today's tech, everything has hiccups. Tell me one thing you did not have occasional hiccup on. I-phone? Plenty. internet outage? sure. Car (expensive car)? let's not even go there. Almost 4 years running now. I see Tim Cook is still tirelessly taking care of his customers on this board.

11.21.2013. It's been over three years now. I just thought of checking the reviews and found some unhappy experiences by other VOIPO customers. I thought to present an opposite point of view. For the last three years, I am happy to say my VOIPO service has been in smooth sailing almost all the time. I occasionally had issues with international calls. But after a short exchange with customer service, they were always able to fix it. I am also happy to say the customer service level has not dropped since I joined three years ago.

VOIPO is a perfect service for me. I am like everyone else, have a cell phone, email, Skype, facetime, etc. So I don't use my phone very much. A couple of my friends canceled their land line and carry their mobile phones on their belt clips in the house. It is so inconvenient. I pay VOIPO $8.0 a month and have six wireless phone handsets. I can pick up a phone from just about anywhere in my house. I love the features it offers. My most commonly used ones are blocking unwanted calls and forwarding calls when I travel.

Keep up the great work and great price VOIPO!

5.22.10. It's been four days since I hooked up VOIPo. I had been busy testing it. Calls to the USA works great. Today I placed two International calls. The call to China is crystal clear but very echoy. The other side needed to wait till my echoed voice stop before she could talk. For many people this maybe a problem. For me I can live with it because I use various internet services (such as Skype) to call China and they all echo to some degree. Maybe it is because of the distance. The call to England, however, was excellent. It is almost better than the calls domestically. It was crystal clear and no echo at all. It is like my dad was standing next to me. More update later.

5.17.2010. After 5 years, I finally said good bye to Vonage. I just could not take the ever increasing price any more. It is getting a bit of comical. But company got to make its decisions to stay financially viable. So as a consumer, I got to make my decisions to stay financially viable myself. The decision is VOIPo. My number was officially ported to VOIPo today.

So far my experience has been really good with VOIPo. Received adaptor quickly. Installation was a non-event. Plug in and I had a dial tone. Emailed support regarding number transfer. Answer was prompt. That was refreshing.

I was an early VOIP service adaptor, first as an employee user at Time Warner Cable for 2 years. Then after I left Timer Warner, I signed up with Vonage for 5 years. So far I am pleased with VOIPo. I already recommended to a friend of mine who is currently on Time Warner's triple-play plan. He is thinking about it, waiting to see how I fare with it.

Someone was saying VOIPo's website was un-professional. I think it is just fine. It's got everything I need. The most important thing is making sure phone works. I don't care if it does not have a fancy website.

I read a lot of reviews from here and it made me confident enough to sign up for two years. To repay the debt, I hope my positive review will help another as well.

I will keep updating this as time goes on.

Comments:

Cristina

@69.127.181.x

Happy with service

I signed on 08/10/2013 for two years. I reboot it twice in all this time. I can't ask for a better deal. I am very happy and highly recommend it. There are people that are always finding something to complain. We all know someone like that.
Give it a try, nothing to lose and a lot to be satisfied.

Review by Leahjennings See Profile

• Location: Canton,Stark,OH
Good "Inexpensive phone service"
Bad "Unreliable phone service- substandard equipment"
Overall "A cheap phone that doesn't work isn't saving you any money."

I purchased the 2 years for $149 which after taxes etc. became $165. After several issues we finally got the phone working. Within a few weeks the phone had a dial tone but wouldn't dial out. VOIPO changed the server and it worked for a few weeks again, and then wouldn't dial out or receive calls.

After a few months of no problems I chalked the earlier issues up to just getting everything up and running and decided to take advantage of their "renewal offer for existing customers" where they rewarded their loyal customers by charging them more than new customers. This was 2 years for a total of $185. This should have been a HUGE red flag for me.

4 months ago my adapter wouldn't power on. That's when I found out they wanted me to pay an additional $50 for a new adapter- remember I've paid $350 already. After a few days my adapter seemed to work again.

2 weeks ago my adapter died completely. VOIPO sent a replacement power cord- despite the fact that the power cord wasn't the issue. I have paid for phone service through March 2016 and refuse to give them another penny so my "money saving" phone doesn't function.

This is the quote on the home page of their website "We actually care- It may sound crazy in this day and age, but we care about your experience with our VoIP service and appreciate your business. Really."

Yeah, absolutely. More like- we take your money and don't care if we provide a service, and please pay us more money.

Update 8/2014- After posting my review and contacting the owner of the company- he sent out a new adapter and it's working now.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Irvine, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO. Sorry to hear about this bad experience.

Please contact me at tim @ voipo.com with your VOIPO phone number and any ticket numbers for this so I can look into it for you. You shouldn't have been charged for an adapter replacement unless you damaged it.

Please contact me directly so I can review everything and make sure everything is handled appropriately.

I was able to locate your account based on your username here and I have already put a free replacement adapter in our shipping queue to go out today for you.

Please contact me at tim@voipo.com to discuss this further so I can make sure you're all taken care of.

Replacement

Hi Leah,

I'm glad we were able to get this resolved for you.

I agree that support should have replaced the adapter without hassle and am going to address that internally to make sure faulty adapters are diagnosed earlier without so much back and forth and hassle. We have to do troubleshooting to make sure an adapter is legitimately bad, but in your situation that could have been determined long before it was. Sorry again for the delay in that.

Thank you again for your business!

Review by CP43 See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Nothing. Never worked."
Bad "Did not ever work after 5 attempts by Tech Support to Resolve"
Overall "The are using cheapest Carriers for land connection service so don't expect it to work consistently "

I ordered Business Service. And ordered an extra Cloud Based Number which should have worked right away but never did.
Once number was assigned I forwarded it to my Verizon cell phone and tried to call.
Attempt 1: Busy signal
Attempt 2: 1 ring then Busy signal
Attempt 3 - 14 more of the same except on 2 occasions the cell phone rang 2 times then the connection dropped and I got a busy signal on my home phone that I was calling from.

*** Read the MANY truthful reviews regarding how BAD the service inconsistency is AND you will be able to discern the TRUTH.

Tech Support ticket. Told that they would do a "Route Treatment" give 5 min and try again. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #2: Technician said they had tested on most of the 15 available Carrier Routes but there was a few left and try this one. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #3: Was told they would Re-provision the line, meaning disconnect and re install the number. More of the same...
Tech Support ticket #4 & 5 no better and service never worked to complete so much as 1 phone call.
I think the facts tell the story. They are clearly using Route Carriers (meaning land line phone companies for switching and routing) that are bottom of the barrel with terrible inconsistency because of old failing equipment.
If you want lots of headaches at some point they will be a good choice.

Comments:
Pufferty

join:2014-07-07

Contact the Owner

Timothy Dick, known around here as VoIPoTim, is very involved and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you.
Irvine, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our service.

If you'd like me to review it for you, I'm happy to look at your tickets to see if we could have handled anything differently or if it's just a case where we didn't have a good route to the particular destination you were trying to forward to.

Feel free to reach out to me at tim @ voipo.com if you'd like me to help.

Review by marcusj3000 See Profile

• Location: Boyce,Rapides,LA
Good "Nice $185.00 price every 2 years, great phone features"
Bad "Too early to tell"
Overall "Great price, company, and service. "

10 July 2014

Order service after giving up on Lingo my other VOIP provider. What I get in return is better service, vastly lower price, lower international rates, better tech support and more phone features than I can use. It pays to do your research and if your current provider can't do the job well, get a better one. The nomorobo feature is great and the service can do just about anything.

Comments:

Review by Pufferty See Profile

• Location: Gaithersburg,Montgomery,MD
Good "Excellent Call Quality, Excellent Control Panel, Accessible Owner"
Bad "Limitation on International Calling for Those who Bring Their Own Device"
Overall "Excellent VoIP Provider with a Personal Touch"

7/22/2014 (Dated as I plan this to be an ongoing review):

As an owner of an Obi, I was saddened to hear of the anticipated demise of XMPP and the phenomenal Google Voice arrangement that we've enjoyed for a few years. At first I decided to make use of one of the "Approved Service Providers" with whom Obihai has teamed up to provide some continuity ("Old Provider" for the sake of this review). However, it quickly became clear that the cut-rate price meant that I'd be getting cut-rate quality. A little after three weeks into service with Old Povider, I promptly cancelled and got my money back as I was within the refund period.

Before doing so, however, I looked for a place to land (and into which to port my number that I had foolishly ported over too quickly to Old Provider). VoIPo stood out to me, as I had found its owner - VoIPoTim - active in the forums and with a very professional and courteous demeanor. After having to deal with a slew of pleasant-though-unhelpful customer service reps at Old Provider, I found Tim's visibility appealing. I sent him a PM and asked a few questions to get a sense of his business (was it new? what did they have to offer? how helpful was Tim when asked a bunch of questions?). I was pleasantly surprised to find Tim to be incredibly responsive and patient and VoIPo's control panel - which he kindly allowed me to see via a demo account - to be far and away cleaner and more polished than the one at Old Provider. VoIPo provides all the standard features, including call forwarding, call whitelisting/blacklisting, call-routing and the like, as well as more unique features like full integration with NoMoRobo (to my knowledge, the only VoIP provider with such direct integration), extensive telemarketer blocking, and iNum number assignment.

I've now been with VoIPo for 2 weeks and it has been a perfect experience so far. I've tweaked myself to how I want it, and did not need to consult any FAQ or userguides to do so, as the Control Panel is easy-to-understand and designed to have concise and clear instructions posted next to all functionality. Call quality has been markedly better than at Old Provider (in fact, I was blessed to have witnessed repeated service interruptions at Old Provider immediately after signing up, as it enabled me to get out before I'd lose my refund and to learn that such problems were part of a pattern with them over the past few months). I did have a few questions, which I directed to Tim and which he quickly answered without ever once suggesting that it was inappropriate of me to seek his help and not reach out to tech support instead.

The only "Bad" I can think of, and which I think is more a result of fraud prevention than an effort to limit functionality for users, is that if one is "bringing your own device" (or "BYOD") to VoIPo instead of using an adapter they provide, then one is prohibited from calling any other countries than those appearing on a list. Countries that don't appear on this list are apparently excluded due to the high level of fraud and abuse that exists with calling access to these countries and I suspect that only those with VoIPo-provided adapters are allowed unrestricted access to all countries because VoIPo is able to have more control over the provisioning of these devices. I asked Tim whether a concession could be made with respect to one country (which is the only international calls I'd ever be making) and was told that an exception could not be made. This is not a problem for me as I was able to set up additional pay-as-you-go service on my Obi from another provider (CallWithUs) and ultimately, prefer this arrangement as the rates are more competitive than those provided by VoIPo anyway.

All in all, I am completely satisfied with VoIPo and, more importantly, know that if that ever changes, I will have access to a responsive and involved owner, Tim. That, to me, is the key reason for going with VoIPo.

Comments:
thunder15

join:2008-01-18
Chicago, IL
·CircleNet

good leadership = good company and service

I would have to say that Tim is very professional. I am not surprised that the company is in a good position since it has good leadership. I would work with him anytime.

I hope your service and relationship with this company continue to be good one.

Review by Steeler Fan See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA

I used voipo for almost 2 years.

Comments:
VOIPoTim

1 recommendation

VOIPO Owner Response

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and am very sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Please e-mail me directly with your VOIPO number at tim @ voipo.com and I'm happy to personally reach out to the carrier to make sure they release the number.

We don't have a lot of control over porting since that's handled at the carrier level, but it sounds like the upstream carrier is definitely not handling this appropriately. They don't give us the ability to provide any name/address for a number so the only one they should have on file is ours. Porting in and out is routine so they should definitely not be confused about it.

I'm happy to personally reach out to our contacts at the carrier to help you with the transfer.

I'd also like to look into your support history. It's very concerning that a support agent would laugh at your issue and I'd like to review the call history. Laughing at an issue reported by a customer while it's still unresolved definitely isn't the norm for us and if that's something I find an agent doing, I'd very likely fire them. I apologize for any bad experience you had there and would like to review the call history.

It sounds like you have the attention of Verizon and I can get the attention of our carrier partner so if we can get in touch and connect them both with all of us looped in the conversation then there's no reason they can't get it done.

Please get in touch with me at tim @ voipo.com so I can try to help you and make this right.

I know you're no longer wanting to use our service and even once this is resolved, you may still not like us due to this bad experience, but I'd like to at least work with you to get the carrier to release the number and also address the support issue you had. As I said, I'm the owner of the company and this is definitely not how we do business so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it and address this both with the upstream carrier (they should not be rejecting/delaying) and with the support agent(s) you dealt with.

1 recommendation

VOIPO

Thanks for the fast e-mail. I received it and just replied to it.

I also reached out to our carrier (Broadvox) and they will likely reach out to their underlying carrier that this number is with (Verizon Wholesale).

Since ultimately the underlying carrier is already Verizon Wholesale, it doesn't seem like they should have an issue porting it from one Verizon division to another. Hopefully once they realize that they are already the carrier, they can get this taken care of very quickly.

I'm also going to be looking into your support issues as I said.

Please keep in touch with me until this is fully resolved as I really want to help you see it through since you shouldn't be having this issue to begin with.

Review by digger16309 See Profile

• Location: Raynham,Bristol,MA
Good "Never feel like I might not have a dial tone when I pick up the phone"
Overall "I just realized I've had them for 6 years!"

5/27/14: Just happened back here and forgot I did a review six years ago. I have re-upped with them three times since my last review. I'm paid through 2016. Just solid in every way the past six years.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

11/14/08: I had an issue with my ATA not behaving. I received excellent support including overnighting me 2 different replacement ATA's which I ended up not needing. I was never told to put the ATA in the DMZ (amen to that). Still feeling great about my choice to sign-up with them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------

10/20/08: I got an equipment upgrade to the Granstream 502 ATA which does pass through the MWI indicator to my Panasonic phones. That was my only issue thus far and it was solved.

10/4/08: I was not part of the Beta, but I became a subscriber/user post-Beta, pre-launch. Because of this, the fees (e911, USF, and whatever else) were waived for the first 6 months.

My number ported flawlessly. I forwarded calls to a temporary virtual number until the porting, which worked OK, then I deleted the virtual number.

Communication is exceptional. Upon signing up, I think I received 3 or 4 different e-mails from them with various information.

The ATA is a Grandstream and it is basically plug n play. I have not accessed any of the settings, nor have I needed VOIPo to make any changes.

The MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) on this specific Grandstream ATA does not pass through to Panasonic Dect 6.0 phones. This is a minor issue, one that I hope is fixed in the next firmware update.

I gave the web site a 4 only because at present, pre-launch, there is little to no documentation so some things you have to figure out on your own, though the majority of it is intuitive if you have had Voip with another carrier.

Call quality has been excellent.

When I make calls, the line actually rings

There is never any dead air when I make a call.

No outages thus far.

Tech support is very fast. Of course, they don't have many subscribers at present, so I'm interested to see what happens at launch.

After 6 weeks, so far so good. I recommend VOIPo to anyone looking for Voip that works out of the box and does not require constant server shuffling, outages, constant problems with upstream providers, router issues, or "the customer is always wrong customer service".

Comments:

F R Ross

@162.204.168.x

VOIPo Service

I have now had VOIPO service for 3 years and have never had any real problem. The call quality is usually excellent, and if it is not, it is usually the service on the "other end", which has problems. I talk to my kids all over the country, sometimes several times a day, and never worry about what it will cost or if I can get through. I am so happy with the service I just renewed for 2 more years, and I wasn't even due to renew until August (2014). When the wife and I see our local cable provider offering a voip service with free calls in the Local Area only for $ 45 per month, we just laugh. AT&T keeps offering us $ 150 to sign up for their phone. Ha Ha. I told them to take a hike 5 years ago when they took over our local area land-line service and wanted to up our charges (without long distance) to $ 70 a month. Now, I strongly feel the term "long distance charges" should be dropped from the language.

Review by zerco See Profile

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "smoking"

I have had VOIPo for 5 years. These guys are great, support is a little bare bones, but they got back to me the same day both times I needed something. Yeah 5 years, 2 issues. I contacted them in 2009 during setup and recently as the Linksys adapter died. The shipped a new one free of charge the same day. Call quality is exceptional and this thing just works.

Comments:

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Set it and forget it"
Bad "Nada, niente, nichts, rien, nil"
Overall "Plug it in and forget it"

·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
April 12, 2014 ---

We are using VOIPo's service as our main residence number in our Boca Raton home. We have not had any recent problems or glitches ... no need to contact their excellent customer support folks for quite some time. The improved website as well as the excellent feature set, including faxing and SMS, are are serving us well.

Frankly, my wife no longer thinks of our VoIP setup (including a second backup line with another excellent provider) as one of my usual 'follies'.

======================================================
July 9, 2013 ---

VOIPo continues to perform brilliantly. The recent changes to their website have made negotiating the site child's play. The addition of SMS texting, allowing the outgoing CallerID for any given text to show any of the account's DIDs (in most cases), even fax DIDs, is greatly appreciated ... given the uses I have for texting. My recent contact with customer service to request info on linking my iPhone's BRIA app to my VOIPo account resulted in a quick, helpful and accurate response.

======================================================
November 15, 2012 ---

I've deleted my prior comments, begun in 2008 after a period as an alpha-tester and subsequently a beta tester.  Because the past is the past. it is more appropriate at this juncture for me to report my current views about VOIPo.

Over the last 4+ years, I have updated my reviews every 6 months or so.  My prior comments chronicled the initial development stages and steady improvement in the areas of quality, reliability, service and support.  For the longest time, my only reservations concerned the website appearance and functionality. But now, with the website "up spiff", I have nothing left to complain about.

For those who want a provider-provided pre-set ATA (adapter) ... no need to fiddle with the technical aspects of setting up the adapter ... and a fixed annual cost with no surprises ... VOIPo fits the bill nicely.

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

"Almost unlimited"

What do you mean by "almost unlimited?" What's the limit?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Re: "Almost unlimited"

There has been lots of discussion and dialogue and debate over the years ... in the BBR Forums ... relating to the use of the term "unlimited" in the marketing of VoIP services. This term would seem to indicate that there are no set limits (caps) on outgoing and/or incoming calls with non-PAYG (non-Pay-As-You-Go) accounts ... i.e., accounts with fixed monthly or annual fees.

It has become a standing "joke" at this point that just about every provider that advertises "unlimited calling" actually does have a limit applied to monthly minutes usage.  With some providers, a specific cap on usage is mentioned (buried) in their Terms of Service (TOS) while others have a secret cap that is only discovered when the end user surpasses that value and is billed for overages or involuntarily upgraded to a more expensive business account.

Thus, the expression "almost unlimited" represents a sarcastic/cynical interpretation by many seasoned posters in the VoIP Forum.