VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by clintsb See Profile

• Location: South Jordan,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Love all the features for the price, good support"
Bad "Perhaps less forgiving of router configurations"
Overall "I am still very happy with my decision"

I switched to Voipo in 2009 after having been with AT&T and they basically told me to go find another company. I had been happy with AT&T so was sorry that I had to switch. After the switch I was wishing that I had switched earlier. My call quality was just as good and all the new features were awesome. I love love the cloned line and all the call routing configurations. So now after nearly 5 years I think it is time to finally give a report.

I have had issues but with perhaps just a couple exceptions have actually been on my end. I have been in the same boat as several other reviewers where the service had been great and all the sudden I had problems. Things like incoming calls the caller couldn't hear me or that the call hung up automatically after 15 minutes. It was odd because I hadn't changed anything but when I got right down to it there was a configuration problem on the router. I hadn't forwarded all the needed ports or in the case of the 15 minute dropped call issue, it was the SPI firewall. Disabled it and everything was good after that.

One of the challenges is knowing what is a good router to use. I had been using a D-LINK Gamers Lounge(Ya old) that the power adapter died on. I decided rather than getting a new adapter I would get something that had better wireless. I got an Apple Airport Extreme router. It was strange I was able to use it for about 6 months and then I started suffering with the problems that acted like a port forwarding issue. I fought it and fought it and tried working through Voipo support. They tried their best but said it wasn't on their end. Finally I gave up on it and got a Asus RT-66R. I have had it for well over a year and it has been great and all the problems went away.

The only time I can think of a problem that was on their end we were having problems calling to Canada. It was some weird issue that they had on their end but they got it resolved.

So while we have had issues we have worked through them and by and large they really were issues on our end. To anyone looking to switch to voipo I would only caution that the service is great but you should be a little bit technical so that you can properly configure your router. If you can't do that you won't be happy. It does seem like they are less forgiving of issues with the router and sometimes you can go a long time without problems and then all the sudden these configuration problems start giving you grief.

One thing about reliability. I can live with a little bit of unreliability but my wife's tolerance is zero, it has to work or she isn't happy. Thankfully she is happy and so am I.

Comments:

Review by protosd See Profile

• Location: Southern Pines,Moore,NC

The call quality has always been bad. When I called them they were very nice and told me it was my isp. So I switched from DSL to cable with no change. They refused to replace my box. I decided to tough it out the 2 years but after 11 months it has started to drop the area code so if I dial a different area code I get a local number instead. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. That and the very bad call quality is the end of voipo for me.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and just saw this. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

If you'd like I'd be happy to have a supervisor take a look at this to see if you do have a bad adapter and get it swapped out for you if that's the case.

Would you like me to look into this for you or have you already cancelled service? We'd love to try to solve it and keep your business if it's a fixable issue.

Just e-mail your VOIPo number to me directly to tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Sorry again for the trouble and thank you for your business!

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
VOIPO.com

DocGrimwig

join:2013-12-19
Grand Rapids, MI

Response to Protosd

Don't give up, protosd!

My company uses VoiPo as our host provider to my VOIP customers.
We have been testing VopiPo for nearly a year now, and I can say (with a few minor exceptions) that what you are experiencing is only going to get better by the day, regardless of which VOIP Provider you go with. Placing all of the issues that are being experienced on to VoiPo, is more times than not, misplaced--more likely misunderstood. VOIP is a new relatively new industry. We are just now (in the US) beginning to truly embrace the thought of upgrading to a digital telephone world. VoiPo is one of the VOIP providers with a great track record with their last company (Host Gator) that recently sold for more money than you and I have jingling in our pockets to be sure. They got that opportunity because of their commitment to the customer. No, I am not a shill for VoiPo, I promise. I do not know Mr. Dick or his team with the exception of his engineers through whom I have had the pleasure of speaking with as my company tests their products. They are truly my competitor--But that's how much respect I have for them.
Yes, I have had issues myself, but for the most part they were fixed in a matter of minutes, and most of the time the fault lay with our implementation of the technology; the ISP; and even more times with the telephone equipment and wiring.
All of us who are braving this exciting new tech all need to understand that we are getting 400 horsepower (digital service) of service out of a 200 horsepower engine (analog service). What I mean is that, we are trying to shove a far superior technology through equipment and wires meant for lo-tech. You want a GREAT experience with little chance of failure? Try purchasing a VOIP telephone and use that instead of an adapter and old tele equipment and see what VOIP truly has to offer. You will very pleased.
We, as VOIP telecom companies are trying to bridge a technology gap until the marketplace catches up with our technology advances. So if you are using the VOIP service with analog adapters and telephone equipment, you should expect to receive a good experience if you have all of your equipment and wiring up to standards. After that, it's up to the ISP (who is delivering your packets of voice information to the person you are calling), to be able to handle the static noise etc. that most likely is emanating from our non-digital equipment. The key is that analog service can handle a loose connection, lots of static etc that is common with analog configurations and equipment. Digital is very intolerant of it. It's because of the way information is transmitted.

Bottom line, Hang in their with VoiPo and VOIP in general Protosd! AT&T just announced that they will be out of the analog business ENTIRELY by 2020. They have recognized the superiority of VOIP and are abandoning copper wiring altogether and coming over to our side finally. So you want to have a discussion about talk about bad service? You can expect a consistent downgrade of service and experience as the #1 player in analog business goes out of the analog business! Happy Holidays Proto, VoiPo and all others on this forum!
Doc

Review by Typical See Profile

• Location: 07922-1830
Good "Line quality, many nice features"
Bad "The website, and the features, are not entirely "polished""
Overall "Pretty good"

·PHONE POWER
Having used two other voip providers in the past six years, I thought it is time for me to check this provider.

The line quality is excellent. My callers tell me that my voice is the clearest that it has been in the past few years.

The service has a lot of nice features, although not all feature work, or work well. I had my eye on their simul-ring feature, among other features. After staying on the phone with tech-support for the better part of two entire days, I was able to get this feature working. It still sporadically malfunctions, and so I shut this feature off. Nonetheless, Voipo has a lot of nice features that do work. I particularly like the voice-mail forwarding feature. The web-site is a bit confusing and somewhat primitive. It does not do justice to the many features that this carrier offers.

There seems to be two distinctly different customer service teams: the email team and the voice team. The email team responds within 24 hours, often even sooner; but their responses are often scripted and sometimes misleading. The voice support team, is available only during regular hours, is very helpful, and exceptionally patient. Ultimately, it is the voice team that resolves complex problems.

All told, I am very happy with this provider.

Comments:

Review by CuriousGuy See Profile

• Location: Rego Park,Queens,NY
Good "Support is great, service reliable, sounds fine"
Bad "In my experience, I have nothing to criticize"
Overall "I have no hesitation in recommending VOIPo highly!"

I gave a lot of consideration to VOIP before actually signing up. I studied the reviews and I was really impressed with the kind of user feedback VOIPo was getting. I wasn't even aware of the company until a few months ago. When I contacted them, I found them easy to deal with and, in no time, they were porting my number. The reason it took 17 days from order to success was just an unfortunate incident involving the Post Office. The USPS acknowledged notification from VOIPo of a package to be shipped to me. It was my PAP2T adapter and, for unknown reasons, it never arrived. Consequently, days were lost while I waited for the adapter to arrive. When I contacted VOIPo, they sent me another adapter overnight via Express Mail. I contributed to the delay myself, by purchasing a Linksys router at Radio Shack that was not the latest and, apparently had outdated firmware. VOIPo even sent me another adapter overnight!! However, I replaced the router with a current model, WRT54G2, and than all was well.

Everyone I dealt with was friendly and motivated to get the service working. Since them, everything has been more than fine and I feel I made an intelligent choice!

8/13/09: After a few bumps in early July, everything has returned to VOIPo's usual high standard of reliability!

member for 12.5 years, 2645 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

CuriousGuy

Harassment by spoofed caller ID

For the longest time, someone has been ringing my phone using various false names and numbers in caller ID. I feel there is a need to unmask the spoofer and block calls where spoofing is used. According to my information, this type of calling is in violation of federal law and subject to $10,000 fines. The caller never speaks, just rings until my voice mail kicks in and then hangs up. The one time I spoke to a VOIPo tech support representative, I was given two unacceptable choices: changing my telephone number or blocking anybody I didn't specify on my legitimate caller list. I'm hoping that this very annoying circumstance can be rectified.

More about spoofing

How would Kevin Mitnick use asterisk.org and flowroute.com to unmask caller ID? Geeks unite and help me! I know you guys are out there.

·VOIPO

VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

said by CuriousGuy:

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to

Sure - E-mail me ticket numbers and info on this (can link to this thread vs retyping details) and I'll have a Supervisor look into it Monday for you.

Sorry for the trouble.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Tim, I was wasn't given a ticket number, which would indicate an open case. I guess the techs I spoke to considered the problem related to my ISP's latency and I was directed to contact Time Warner and inform them that I was experiencing latency. Time Warner ran some line checks and said everything on their end was fine.
I did receive an E-mail on Nov. 13 (#VLH861385) with a link to network check utility:
»www.voipo.com/download/network_check.exe

I was instructed to execute the link during a conversation in which there was poor quality. Since the problems were intermittent, it proved difficult to synchronize poor vocal quality and execution of the utility simultaneously. (see below)

When prompted to run the test, press 2 to run the thorough check and then press enter. The test will create a document titled "voipo-trace.txt" on your desktop. When completed, send the end results to support@voipo.com attached to this email.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

Ok, e-mail me your account info to tim @ voipo.com and I'll have a supervisor take a look Monday.

Re: VOIPo is wreaking havoc on my ability to have trouble free phone service

As of Tuesday, Nov. 19, I am getting my telephone service from Time Warner. I felt that I had no choice and the PAP 2T adapter is on its way to California.

said by CuriousGuy:

I'm sorry to hear that.

It sounds like something changed somewhere and the connection to us just wasn't good anymore. Unfortunately since we reply on the internet sometimes that happens. Lots of variables in the mix.

Thank you for your business over the years and we hope your new service is working well for you.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Xracer

@mymailexpress.com
This has nothing to do with VOIPo (they are great) but with Time Warner Cable - I am a Tech for an Online School and one of our Instructors who lectures to students via the Online School Classroom system is with Time Warner Cable and when they teach their class from the place with TWC they now have dead space for 5 - 20 seconds where they are suppose to be speaking. We've called TWC they say it’s nothing on their end but our end. We told TWC we have 20 - 30 Instructors teaching at the same time and the instructor on TWC is the only one having trouble, plus when we use the some computer in a different location they have no trouble (tried 3 computers on his TWC and got the same result). So I believe Time Warner Cable has done something to their internet line since it impacts those using "real time" connections (viewing a movie that buffers to the computer works fine).

·VOIPO

I found something that may provide resolution for other users

I'm not sure about this, but it's interesting: Network Optimizer for Gaming and VoIP (OGV200)

Review by dsl1234 See Profile

• Location: Golden,Jefferson,CO
Good "Excellent service first 30-90 days. If you hit the jackpot and find the service reliable, the price is great."
Bad "15 minute call drops on every softphone/BYOD call; frequent 1-way audio; ineffective tech support"
Overall "Service quality declines the longer you use them - best to avoid VOIPO"

Ordered the 2 year package which would cost $8/mo paid in advance if you stay with them the full 24 months. They provided a new Grandstream ATA. But service quality gradually declined, particularly with frequent one-way audio. We have tried everything they suggested. We even purchased our own Obi100 instead of their Grandstream. Either device still gets unreliable service with VOIPO. The frequent one-way audio and precise 15 minute disconnects on every call placed through a softphone or BYOD such as an Obi100 were major annoyances. They disconnected all of our Obi100 calls after 15 minutes to the second. They also want you to forward a huge range of router ports in an effort to get their service to work. But it did not help at all in our case.

Pro: Cancellations after 30 days are prorated which is a better cancellation deal than some others if you cancel. But watch out for auto renewal if you don't want to renew! And port your number out first before you cancel if you want to keep your number.

Pro: They provide a telephone adapter device that is preconfigured for use with Voipo. This means potentially easier setup of their service than some services where you provide the device and configure it yourself.

CON: If their phone adapter breaks, your service is down until they can ship you a replacement. You cannot go to the computer store and buy an adapter as a replacement because if the VOIPO adapter is broken and is therefore not registered to their network, you cannot add a BYOD adapter or a softphone. You also may not be able to get them to cross-ship a replacement so your downtime without phone service could be significant.

Our test of VOIPO vs voip.ms:

We even signed up with another provider called voip.ms and put them on port 2 of our Obi100 while voipo was on port 1. The voip.ms service on port 2 has worked for about a year with no need for tech support and no 15 minute disconnects!

Our Obi100 was configured using preset profiles provided by both VOIPO and voip.ms at Obitalk.com. So our device is in effect configured by each provider for their own port. Our conclusion after a year of comparison is that the voipo.com service is not usable and we have decided to port our number out to another provider several months before our VOIPO contract runs out.

Voipo also claims to support softphones BYOD, but when you try to connect your own device, you may run into this message:

"Unfortunately we have not verified that your device is currently provisioned and registered to VOIPo's network, please ensure your device is currently connected and registered in order to retrieve your softphone SIP credentials!"

which means you have to always have a Voipo-provided device connected or at least at the ready to resolve any issues with your BYOD. If you use a softphone and you are away from home and encounter a BYOD/softphone issue, your service could be disrupted until you can get home and get the official Voipo device reconnected and re-registered. It can be an annoying nightmare trying to use this service if you have to troubleshoot anything.

Tech support consists of boilerplate emails telling you to restart the Grandstream and router and to port forward a huge range of ports. If that doesn't work and your Grandstream or BYOD phone adapter is behind your firewall (like it should be for security), you will get a notice that they don't support even their own Grandstreams if attached behind a firewall.

Given all the gotchas with Voipo, don't be surprised if problems arise with your service. But if you luck out and do not have problems, rejoice and enjoy the low price.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 360 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I had the same problems when I first got service with them. I did with several others too. The others couldn't figure it out so I moved on to and have been with VOIPO for many years. And this was since their beginning. As far as their Tech Support they bent over backwards never once blaming me or pointing fingers as everyone seems to do these days. And still to this day immediately jump on any issue I have. Trouble Tickets are answered within 15 minutes. The techs are the same U.S. based group that have been there for a long time and are quite friendly, proficient and expedient at what they do. Come to find out, the problems that were happening were caused by the ISP I had at the time. Who's your ISP, that makes a big difference in how anybodies VoIP service runs. Also, if your ISP has their own VoIP product, they might very well be "favoring" their service over yours and that's where it gets problematic. I have 7 neighbors on their service and only one is having problems and they are still on the Telco DSL that the rest of us left and went to more solid cable where these issues are gone. Now as with any VoIP service there are going to be hiccups now and then. But I have seen very few lately and if they are anything I need to have TS on, they are dealt with in short order.

Although VOIPO chose to concentrate on phone services, unlike ViaTalk my previous provider, I have also found that for the price they have the most and best added on features of any service. With them I have been able to tailor my lifestyle where I am not annoyed with the trappings that you usually get with a POTS or other services.

As far as accusations about the way their actions are tailored to create revenue, I'd get some facts before making statements like that. It's all conjecture on your part and does not add to the review. Plus their TOS are not all that different than the rest.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO

Re: That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I really don't think the ISP is relevant since another provider on port 2 of the same Obi100 telephone adapter device VOIPO is on works fine - (obviously with the same ISP for both ports.) It's the same phone adapter, the same router, the same ISP but VOIPO does not work and voip.ms does work. Go figure. But if you have good results with VOIPO, stay there - they have a great price.

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Cheap. Note, not inexpensive. Cheap."
Bad "Giving up on this service. I've had enough of the problems."
Overall "Don't waste your time with this company."

11/6 - And canceled! I've had Ooma for almost a month. So far, no 1-way audio issues. No dropped calls. No call quality issues. Multi-ring just works (tm) and so far, aside from the slightly higher costs, I'm not missing VoIPO. Hopefully, they can turn things around.

10/13 - I've had enough. Switching as soon as I can.

5/12 - Dropped my rankings on call quality, reliability, tech support and value for money considerably.

On regular occasion, I call my parents. 99.9% of the time, there's a problem. Here lately, I call them, they can hear me, I can't hear them. They call me and get a busy signal. We're both customers of VoIPO.

I will email tech support. They'll fidget with our accounts. For a day or three after that, everything works fine. Then, suddenly, I can't make any out bound calls. So, they'll fidget some more. Then I can make out bound calls but I can't call my parents.

My patience is running very thin with this company at this point.

------

12/11 - Service is okay for the most part. There are some weird issues. Such as if my parent's call me. I can hear them. They can't hear me. Router settings from the last time this happened haven't changed. Sometimes I dial a number and nothing happens - even if I have dial tone. For the price, I tolerate it.

-------

1/11 - After a year of no issues, my parents decided to switch. We both scored a 2 year deal for $180 (taxes inclu.). Install for the parents went smoothly. However, we weren't able to place calls to each other. If I called them, they could hear me. But I could not hear them and vice versa. Opened a ticket with VOIPo and it was resolved in about a week. I had to port forward 5004-65000/udp to the ATA. Doing that resolved all of the issues.

4/10 - No issues or outages so far. I've sent several general question/comments to VOIPo and they were responded to in a very quick fashion. Even general off-the-wall type questions have been answered quickly and professionally.

Ordered on 12/2/09. Got the adapter on 12/5/09. Ordering was easy.

Thought I had a regular phone to hook up to this adapter. Turns out that isn't the case. Threw them all out after getting used to the Uniden cordless adapter for Packet8.

The Linksys Broadband router they sent me is of used condition. And the warranty tag on the bottom of it is broken.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Robert Varel

@verizon.net

VoipO

I've had this service for over 5 years. We have had no problems with this service. Excellent reception and voice quality. Never miss a call and I like the fax features.

Re: VoipO

I to have been a customer for quite some time. And the problems are getting worse and worse.

I get people who send me emails or call my cell phone because my home line rings or says the number is no longer in service.

I get tons of one way (and here of late no way) audio issues.

Support sucks. They just go over the same script each time I notify them of a problem. I've put the MTA (now on the second MTA) directly on the cable modem and the issues persist. Connectivity to their network doesn't seem to be an issue based on their diagnostics.

So, enough is enough.

Janet

@14.192.210.x
Yup. I too use the service after reading some review about Voipo at voipbands. So far so good.

·ViaTalk

There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

I ran to them after having many major problems with ViaTalk and several other providers that makes what you are going through pleasurable. What you are going through sounds exactly like what I did in my early days with VoIPO. I think I'm going on 6 years now. Just reupped for another 2 last Spring and am looking to bring the other house line over real soon. And even though they have been around a while, the VoIP biz is still kinda in its fledgling years. As far as VoIPO, their tech support has been the best I have ever encountered and Yes, I had my problems just like yours to the point that a good many Techs know me by my first name. And as you said you eMailed them. I get a response with in 5-20 minutes every time and mostly telling me it's fixed or that they did something, to reboot my ATA and it's fixed. This kind of TS is unheard of and I have never had TS like this anywhere before. And the guys are great, funny and personable. Their CEO VoIPOTim can be seen in many forums with, seriously, about a billion posts from him directly to customers trying to help. Now mind me, I'm not saying they're perfect. None of these services are. They all have their idiosyncrasies. But VoIPO is a lot better, with great features, not as many as some providers I have had - but in time I hope. I think they went for quality over gadgets first. And for the price, you get more bang for the buck than many other providers.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is when you put a service like this on an Internet carrier, VoIPO has to accommodate all their idiosyncrasies to make things work for you. It's not as if all ISP's were identical, only in a perfect world, and they could blanket tune everyone. Still to this day we have issues but nothing that hasn't been take care of in minutes. ALSO a big game changer was when I moved, for this reason specifically, from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast, things got a lot better instantly. And since I have had some erratic problems, but a lot fewer issues now that I have a "better" Internet connection. I have moved over several of my neighbors and see that things do vary as to who they have as their ISP. This is a big kicker with VoIP. It can only be as good as your ISP and personal network.

I would think that if your parents have them there must have been at least some good in this to make you switch over. You are far too new on their service for them to have located your issues and had a chance to address them. Of which is part of getting services like this these days. I have had the same connections issues with one of my neighbors that is still on CL. We use each other as testbeds. He is having the same problems across the board that I did before I moved to cable Internet. So . . . hang in there if you are serious about having VoIP phone service. You'll have to no matter who you have as a provider.

Take Care and Good Luck. It'll all work out.
. . . fb

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Far too new? Really? Going on 5 years is too new? How long, exactly should they take to find my issues?

My parents are on a cable provider and have the same issues as I do. Though, not as severe as I have it with regards to local calls. For the record, they followed me to VoIPO.

I've emailed Tim. Many times. And you're right they do return your emails pretty quickly. But the problems never get fixed. Well, they do. For a week or two. Then they break again. And then the T1 techs say its my network or router settings (which never changed) that must be the problems.

When I was a Vonage and Packet8 subscriber, these kinds of issues were *non*existant*. Shame their prices are so crazy high.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Well then, I guess it's time to cut your losses and move on. If I had all the problems that you still do for this long I would have moved on long ago. As I was looking to do and tried one more thing, moving from telco DSL to Cable and things are 90% better now. My one neighbor that is having the same problems I was is still on the same telco DSL I had. The rest, we have all moved to cable for Internet. I bet the minute he's off it and on a better service things will change. But now that most everyone is offering a type of "phone" over their services, it'd be hard to find an Internet provider that wouldn't favor their service over yours. The same problem I had with SprintION, 1998-2002, when Qwest gave them grief. I lost the best Internet and phone service we'll ever see. I'm moving the rest of my house over to VoIPO at the end of the month. Was just waiting for the family to get settled with the new Hopper before I threw more different stuff at them.

And yes, VoIP service in some respects is very new. Now my ION service, over 10 years ago was perfect so it can be done. These days it just depends on what you get for what you pay for.

Take Care and Good Luck . . .

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Consider them cut. In the month I've had Ooma there's not been one issue with 1-way audio (my firewall rules are back to most restrictive). No issues of availability. No issues with multi-ring. No issues with audio quality.

Just none.

I do concede, a bit, that the ISP can impact services. However, after having Vonage, Packet8 and now Ooma - none of the services have/had the problems that VoIPO has.

I called Dad tonight on my cell. He could hear me. But I couldn't hear him. 2 nights ago, his number was unavailable from both Ooma and Verizon. I suspect they'll be losing another account before too much longer.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA

said by FarmerBob:

I completely disagree with this attitude. VoIP is mature enough that any problem can be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and the root cause identified. The question is "is it worth the effort at this particular price point". For Google Voice you are completely on your own, and business providers offer strong SLAs. Voipo obviously is much closer to free Google Voice and - by comparison - their support is terrific. But at some point they blame router, internet provider, and California weather instead of additional troubleshooting.

Note: I've had 5 lines with Voipo; very happy with 4 and had to cancel 1 (about which Tim was very professional, and I have nothing but good to say about the process). So, it's not to bash Voipo - it's just you need to understand what you are getting. More expensive providers have more robust troubleshooting andproblemsolving tools.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here. It's quantitative analysis from my time having VoIP services since the late 90's and having been part of many sides of the industry. VoIP may have it own level of maturity, but it has a way to go and a battle with ISP's that can and will be real children when you use their pipe for third party VoIP and not theirs. Just read the industry trades.

Of all the services out there VoIPO and company for the money are the best. I love my "Founders" account.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA

said by FarmerBob:

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here.

That's part of the attitude that I am talking about. You disagree with me (which is perfectly fine of course), but for some reason you feel entitled to call my wording wrong. What makes you think that your quantitative analysis is better than mine, or that your read of industry trades is more accurate than mine? You didn't give any reasons, and none come to mind.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

WHOA! Way off on a major tangent. Your the one that used the word "attitude" which it isn't. It's more of an opinion from exposure, if anything else. And I never said my QA was better than your anything. I was just defending myself and addressing your use of the word "attitude".

It anything is of "attitude" it's your poorly worded defensiveness.

Sorry I ever posted.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO
Aren't you saying you don't mind poor service? You don't mind emailing tech support and rebooting your equipment, etc. I live near Littleton too and have voip.ms here and don't have to do this stuff working with tech support, rebooting adapter, rebooting router, etc, etc. Evidently the service you have had elsewhere is so bad, it makes Voipo look good, but you are actually getting only fair to poor service quality based on your own description.

said by dsl1234:

No. Not at all. Just the opposite, I'm getting great service. Why else would I re-up for another 2 years, have brought over several neighbors and am moving all my numbers to their service?

I'm not sure what you are reading?

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

Review by mobilelawyer See Profile

• Location: Spanish Fort,Baldwin,AL

I have had the service for a little over two years. The days to success number may not be correct, because I simply do not remember. I had to have an AT&T number ported, so that delayed the process a little, and may have taken slightly longer than 7 days.

I do not remember any hiccups. The only thing that has cut my service off is an internet interruption, and that would not be VOIPO's fault.

I perceive the voice quality to be excellent, and certainly equal to landline quality. Does anyone have a landline any more?

The VOIPO provided device is the Grandstream HT502. I did have to make a call to technical support, not on initial set-up, but some weeks later with a home networking issue. They were efficient, but, unfortunately, only available during business hours. That is a detriment, because you need to be at home when you are one the phone with them. There is a user forum that appears to be monitored by company reps, but you may have to wait awhile for an answer.

I also recently had an issue when I changed my ISP and had to move my cable modem and router into another room. I had some audio blanking problems when I tried to connect the Grandstream via a powerline adapter. I had to move the device back into the room where the router is located to make a direct Ethernet connection to fix the problem.

But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The service is seamless. You never think about it. I use a Panasonic base station that has an answering feature, and, of course, it is plugged directly into the Grandstream. The Panasonic has 4 wireless extensions. It you are going to use your existing POTS wiring to connect all your house phones, you may have some additional work, particularly if your house is older. For the average user, unless you are very patient, or are willing pay someone to properly wire the house phones, it is far easier just to connect a base station with the wireless extensions, and I suspect that is the most common set up.

Once the service is up, and your phone system is plugged into the device, the service is just like the POTS you had before in many respects-- and better. The phone rings, you answer it; you pick up your phone to make a call, hear a dial tone, and dial the number. Same as it ever was.

But let's say you had a power failure for two hours, and during that period, you had no internet. What if 5 people called you? Would you know they had called? Yes you would! If your device is offline because of a power failure, or your isp is offline, the automated VOIPO front end answers the call and allows the caller to leave a voice mail. You set up the front end initially to forward the voice mail to your email address. I look at my smartphone and note that an email has been received, and listen to the attached .wav file to hear the message, and call them back on my smartphone. I like that feature. I have two answering machines: the hardware answering machine that my Panasonic provides, and a backup answering machine that VOIPO provides if, for any reason, the system cannot connect to my Grandstream.

So, I am a satisfied user of the service. I have the same telephone number I have used for 32 years (my old landline number ported to VOIPO); the voice quality is good; The service has been very reliable; I make unlimited domestic calls; and it all costs nine dollars a month (as opposed to the $49.95 that I was paying AT&T for POTS).

The two-year cost is $199, but with taxes and fees my renewal was $216. The original sign up cost was only $149, and that is an even better deal. They periodically make that offer to existing customers for a two year renewal. I just never took advantage of it, and wound up paying the full price at renewal.

Comments:

Review by dbmaven See Profile

• Location: Highland Mills,Orange,NY
Good "Price/reliabilitiy/call quality"
Bad "Currrent: None"
Overall "I'll renew"

·Optimum Online
Decided to replace a 2nd POTS line, used for some business calls and the occasional fax, due to significant price differential versus VoIP providers.
Have a MagicJack, and while it works OK, doesn't provide the kind of service that I require for this 2nd line being that a computer needs to be on and running 24 x 7, so I went looking for an ATA device based VoIP solution. I don't have the time or inclination to mess with 'Bring your own Device' (BYOD) services, so I wanted one that would be plug and play.
VOIPo, although new and just coming out of an extended beta period, fit the bill, had good ratings by the testing team which frequents the VOIP TECH CHAT forum, and a very good price.
Setup was truly plug and play once the ATA arrived (Grandstream HT502). And it worked well.
As has been well documented in the forums, they had a series of problems with the HT502 during January/February 2009. They ended up replacing the 502 with Linksys PAP-2T devices. That led to a separate set of issues - not VOIPo's problem - that can be reviewed in my post here: »[VoIPo] If you have a Linksys router...

Since that time, I've had zero problems, 100% reliability and could not be happier with the service.

You can get better 'value for the money' if you're a tweaker/geek and do BYOD with another service provider, which is why I rated that attribute a "4". If you're a plug-and-play/I just want it to work type person, it's really a "5" at this time.

Update 26-Oct-2010
It just works.

Call clarity is better than anything else I've got - cell or POTS.
Zero issues in what seems like forever.

Update 12-Aug-2013
Can't believe it's been this long since I updated this review - but that's a testament to a service that has just worked for me, whenever needed it's there. I've got it set up on Zoiper (iPhone 5), the built in Internet Calling on my Galaxy Nexus, and on laptop with X-Lite. The PAP2T ATA just keeps humming along.
It's not the cheapest, it's not the most feature laden, but it's perfect for my needs - and has been "perfect".

member for 15 years, 8015 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caylor931 See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, Call blocking & Routing Features"
Bad "SIP, International Call Blocking, "
Overall "DO NOT USE if international calling from SIP"

My wife is from Panama and routinely makes calls to her family there. We had Vonage and she regularly used their "extensions" program on her android smartphone with ZERO limitations on the number she calls. The only difference is the rates are higher for mobile numbers vs landlines (Vonage clearly shows the pricing difference if you research the number). So we set up the SIP soft phone software on VOIPo and she tried calling and kept getting the "call is not authorized" message. I added the country to the authorized list and it still blocked the calls. Finally reached out to VOIPo customer support and they informed us that mobile numbers are not authorized to be called from a SIP (soft phone), thus they were being blocked. I switched back to Vonage as this was a deal breaker for us. Also to note....when I was switching back to Vonage, I discovered they have now added Panama as a location where we can have an international extension. So now her family can call her at local rates and we set up the simultaneous ring so it rings her mobile phone when they call. Vonage rocks here!!!

One plus for VOIPo: Their ability to block or route calls on a per-number basis was really nice. Vonage would grab even more customers if they implemented this feature.

BOTTOM LINE:

DO NOT USE VOIPo if you want to call overseas numbers from your BYOD. While they let you use SIP (soft phone) from your mobile device, it is likely you will not be able to call mobile numbers overseas. Since the majority of the people you will likely be calling overseas will be using mobile phones (mostly only businesses use landlines overseas now).

VOIPo doesn't notify you of this fact, that mobile numbers are blocked for international calling from SIP, their tech support just said that "certain international destinations may not be reachable through the remote access number or BYOD features." I disagree that that is the same as certain numbers (mobile numbers only) within a certain destination, because their website says that if the country is not listed it is not available for use by BYOD. Even more contradictory, is even when I try to use the International Calling Security features to allow only calls to Panama by using the whitelist for the country for the VOIPo Adapter those numbers don't work so their service is broken....period, as it only allows SOME calls to Panama from the adapter which is not what their functionality states.

I did my research and all their website states is that to unblock an international number it is based on the country code. The VOIPo site says Panama calls to country code 507 are allowed. Obviously that isn't completely true because it also checks the prefix to see if it is a mobile number. they need to clarify that fact. This is so unfortunate because their service looked so promising only to be such a HUGE let down.

Consider me taken for $36 (paid $185 and was refunded $149) for the service used for the time it took me to realize this and get the service turned off (getting the number ported back, etc). No way to get in under the 30-day money back guarantee and had to pay the shipping to return the ATA.

Comments:

Review by rukus See Profile

• Location: Victoria,BC
Good "50"
Bad "50"
Overall "so-so"

I have had voipo for several years and although they usually correct the problem eventually, it takes many phone calls. I gave up on writing support tickets. My most a annoying ongoing problem was finally fixed today after I researched the problem and called voipo twice after getting hung up on, a common problem.

For 2+ years, when I attempt to dial an unknown number off the web, I get hung up on and returned to a dial tone.

Place to change was in password protected advanced so called voipo and chris hung up on me. Called back and Cody got it reset so now it works

They - voipo - haev offered all kinds of xcuses but got mad when they told me it was the equipment and could not be changed. LIARS. Called a supplier who sent me a service manual, then called grandmaster who told me how to find the adapter ip and got into basic setting.