VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by RB480Ruger See Profile

• Location: Denver,Adams,CO
Good "Plug & Play, Very Good Quality, Great Great Price"
Bad "Need to add Help/info screens to VPanel"
Overall "100% Thumbs Up!"

I've only had service for 3 days, so it's too soon for a really conclusive review (my 'numbers' ratings reflect short term experience) but to date VOIPo has been absolutely great!

I have previous experience with SunRocket (2+years), Teleblend (only until I found an alternative), Future-Niee (short term try out) and Net2Phone (since Sunrocker crashed)...VOIPo was first that was truely plug and play.

Unpacked the RT31P2, added a DHCP reservation for it, plugged it in behind my home router...two minutes later was able to make a call! So far, I have to rate overall call quality better then my N2P lines.

I'll update this review after my secondary number is ported from N2P (scheduled to happen on 9/22) and I've had some time to use the service more extensively.

The Future-Nine PAYG (especially if you have an ATA) is a great value but VOIPo is a better value for my needs.

Update 09/23/2009:
My number was successfully ported from N2P to VOIPo as scheduled.

Update 11/18/2009:
No problems! Adding a second line to my VOIPo service and porting my main number.

Update: 11/21/2009:
Unpacked the RT31P2 for the second line...connected behind my home router...again "plug & play"...can make calls and recieve calls on the out of state virtual number. Have not yet received the porting date for my primary number.

Update: 12/13/2009:
My second number was ported on the scheduled date without any issues.

Update: 02/20/2010:
I missed the fact that my virtual number was initally setup as a temporary number..the confirmation email did state it was temporary but I missed that sentence. VOIPo dropped the number (without warning) while cleaning up temporary numbers that where still active. I have to commend and recommend the VOIPo customer service staff for the attention they paid to getting my virtual number into service correctly as a permanent number!! Thank you.

VPanel still needs help screens...which is why I've still rated it a 3.

Update 11/16/2012
I continue to be a happy camper with my VOIPo service. My original ATA died a week ago. Call support on Wednesday, the replacement ATA arrive on Saturday...plug and play.

Comments:

Review by onthecake See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, support is not helpful"
Overall "Beware if you are running this behind a firewall"

I signed up for VOIPo after Vonage, in their infinite wisdom decided to raise their rates on the 500/minute a month plan.

I was somewhat hesitant at first until I read the reviews about the company and all the features it offered in comparison to Vonage.

After ordering I requested my number be ported. I received my adapter about 6 days later. I installed it but soon realized that it was not going to very useful until my number was ported. I could assign a temporary number but none were available in my area code. Therefore I decided to just leave it offline until after my number had been ported.

After about a week I opened a ticked to inquire about he port status. I was told that they never received the fax to port the number so I faxed the request again. Another two weeks went by and my number was still not ported. I opened another ticket and was told it would be another 2 weeks (5 weeks total to port from original request).

I was somewhat upset that I had been paying for a service but not using it due to the length of time it took to port the number. Customer service decided to extend my renew date by about a month to compensate for the time taken to port the number.

My number was ported and I was receiving calls but the voice mail feature was not fully functional. After another ticket the issue was resolved and all is running well now.

To sum up my experience:

VOIPo has excellent customer service. Most of my requests/tickets were responded to within hours. The responses were not the same canned messages you get from other companies. They actually fixed the issues or told me what was going on.

I cannot stress enough how good their customer service is.

Their call quality is excellent and the feature set is much more robust than vonage. I love being able to setup call routes to block annoying robot callers I receive every so often.

My one mark against them is the account setup and porting needs to be a lot smoother for this company to grow. I believe with time they will iron this out and regardless of those issues the change was still worth it.

Update 11-11-12

I have terminated my service with VOIPO. Unfortunately the service is to unreliable behind a firewall and resulted in multiple issues of no dial tone, no sound on the caller end of the phone, and other random issues. Tech support has become unhelpful and responds with the same canned answers each time.

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Firewalls

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using my VoIP softphone and ATA behind a firewall for about a year now with VOIPo with little to no issues. While VOIPo’s official literature makes excessive requests with regard to one’s firewall, I’ve found their service to be quite reliable/“plug and play” when used with a standard firewall that does not modify SIP packets.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

Firewall

I've had VOIPo service for a few years (and have renewed through 2014). Mine adapter sits behind a Tomato-based firewall and is flawless. Never get one-way audio, always have a dial tone.

I also have viop.ms service and it also is flawless behind a firewall.

SIP ALG needs to be disabled!

Sounds like a configuration issue, and if an issue exists using VOIPo, it will probably exist with any VoIP provider.

Review by gnvdude See Profile

• Location: Gainesville,Alachua,FL
Good "Vonage to VOIPO move - excellent experience"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent experience so far with excellent costs"

Transfer from Vonage to VOIPO experience

Vonage to VOIP Switch Experience

Thought I'd post the experience I've had with voipo over the last 4 weeks.

Just like many I was working to reduce my family budget monthly costs. Since I was off my AT&T cell contract in July I switched my iphone from the AT&T plan at $130 per mon. to StraightTalk @ $45 per month. Bonus.

Somehow I came across VOIPO, noticed the 2 year special pricing deal they had, so I decided to take the leap. I have been with Vonage for 6+ years, even had locked in pricing for the unlimited plan @ $10 per month. But VOIPO costs would take me down to $5 per month. In the beginning with Vonage I had calls I couldn't make to certain numbers and other minor issues I needed to open a vonage support ticket for and report. Over time and many tickets the call routes for my device (Cisco Linksys PAP2) got worked out.

So I expected to have the same start-up issues with VOIPO.

I filled out the online VOIPO porting form, which opened a support ticket. The next day I got a reply back saying Vonage did not have my phone number registered under my home address but instead their address, and did I have my permission to resubmit the port request. I answered yes, and the process went through and started.

After the port was completed, I started to dial the numbers same area code and different that under vonage I originally had trouble dialing (network busy message, fast busy signal, etc). The calls went through from VOIPO without issue. I was pleasantly surprised. I had expected to encounter the same dial out issues I had with vonage with voipo. So far 4 weeks later that hasn't happened.

Inbound calls have been fine. I signed up with VOIPO to get the advanced call routing features Vonage doesn't offer. The only thing I miss from Vonage is the voice to text feature that would email me a translation of the call. But since I still get the voice message audio emailed to me I can live with that.

Call Quality seems to be better under VOIPO with the stream adapter. Vonage sounded more compressed, VOIPO sounds more crisp.

Of course I've only been a VOIPO customer for 4 weeks now. But so far their support department has been very responsive, and inbound and outbound calls working just fine.

I do expect occasional typical VOIP issues that go with this technology like QoS router warble settings issues, and the occasional need to reboot my device. I do understand it's VOIP and that these issues are to be expected from time to time. If you want perfect service you either have to go traditional land line or use your cell phone. But for $5 per month I can't beat it.

Looking forward to implementing some call routes to reduce the telemarketer calls and route numbers straight for voicemail I don't want calling us.

I read many a forum post on other peoples vonage to voipo experience, before I ported my number (tested voipo for 2 weeks). All I can say is my experience has been pretty close to perfect.

I'm waiting to see how voipo behaves over the next few months. If I have issues you can trust I will open a trouble ticket. Given my current support experience and the posts I've seen from the CEO guy I expect voipo to address my issues to my satisfaction.

All in all it's been a great transition. So far I'm glad I made the switch. Stay tuned I'll update in another 6 months.

Comments:

Review by burris See Profile

• Location: Miami,Miami-Dade,FL
Good "Solid-clear quality"
Overall "Never had it so good. Reliable...excellent quality talk & and listen."

Thanks, DSLRerports for the reminder.

I forget that I'm even on VOIP as the service is so solid and the audio is so clear, I take for granted just how great the service is.
When I think back of the really lousy VOIP service with other providers in years past, I do appreciate what a great company and service Tim has built..

5/9/2011

Just got another reminder from DSLReports to consider updating my review..

Not much to say as nothing has changed.
Service is still top of the line and I don't have a single complaint

Tim certainly knows how to run his company..

11/4/2010

Since I received a reminder from DSLRreports to consider updating my review, i shall do so..

It should be obvious that I am thoroughly pleased with the service. In my opinion, it rivals POTS in terms of quality and blows it away in terms of price..
My cost remains the same as I am grandfathered in from the founders era.

The few times I have asked for support, well after the beta days, the response has been superb.
One must always realize that we are utilizing the internet, and therefore are subject to all the feckless issues that arise. Certainly can't blame the VOIP provider for that.
That the service pleases my wife is the acid test.

01/09/2010

I see that almost a year has elapsed since my last review.

Not sure what I can add to comment the exemplary service I already have. Tim knows how to run a company and provides first class customer support. Sure, a glitch occurs once in a while, but hey, this is the internet.
I'm extremely comfortable with the service since inception and it must be working well for me as I have no land line.

4-4-09

I just realized that I haven't updated my review for quite a while.

Only change was to update the ATAs from GS502 to Linksys PAP2T. I think this was a great idea. Far more solid connectivity.
I'm still in love with the service as its quality is excellent. Actually getting better in many respects.

Support is by far some of the best anywhere.
No problems for me.

================================================================

I have been on their beta for quite a while and the service has been excellent.
I, as well as a number of others are patiently waiting for the launch.
I think that this will be the VOIP service that sets the standard.

I have been on VOIP for about 3 years and this new company has been an exciting experience.

I will update my review after the launch..

================

Since the launch is happening, I can only hope for all the new users, the same quality of service and support I have experienced during the beta.

The attitudes of the support personnel is not to be believed in this day and age.
They not only respond quickly, but respond with meaningful information and have no problem answering any questions.

I can only hope it remains as it has been, and I'm sure it will..

Many thanks to the entire crew at VOIPo...It has been and I'm sure it will remain a wonderful experience in the world of VOIP....

===========

Nov 4 2008.....Time for an update..

Still going strong...in fact the service is so stable and the quality is so good(just ask my wife), that I recently ordered a second line.

The few minor questions or issues that crop up from time to time, are answered via a ticket almost before you can get back to your e-mail screen.

I had no idea I would ever be able to virtually sit back and spend my time fooling with my 5 PCs, rather than having a full time job programming and tweaking my ATA and looking for servers around the country that might work.

I hope and do think that this is the real benchmark for VOIP services.

Thanks again Tim and your entire staff..

burris

December 27 2008

I IMAGINE IT'S TIME FOR ANOTHER UPDATE..

Since the last review, the special price came up..

In addition, VOIPo turned up a cloned line feature that gives you two functioning in and out lines using the same primary number. What a treat..

In terms of quality, what can I say. I get a dial tone every time-the calls on both ends are loud and clear---and most important, I haven't heard a negative utterance from my wife since signing on with VOIPo.

Keep up the good work, Tim..

member for 13.9 years, 5878 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rfs0123 See Profile

• Location: Attleboro,Bristol,MA
Good "Cheap, but at a cost; features"
Bad "Voice quality, reliability"
Overall "Not worth the aggravation"

We changed from Comcast Voice a little over a year ago to VOIPO, which offered similar services with more features and at a lower cost. We've had various issues from the beginning, including dropped calls, calls that would ring then one or the other party could not hear the other when connected. Most recently we lost the ability to check voice mails from the VOIPO number, although you could check them on line or via email, or by calling from an outside number. Yesterday after having many different issues, including the ability to make or receive calls, I rebooted everything, including the modem, ATA and wireless router. All seemed to be working again until today, when it started all over. I contacted support, was asked a few questions (position of ATA in Que, whether the adapter was connected to a single phone or house phone wiring and whether the adapter was plugged directly into the wall. Response was 1st after modem, yes, connected to house phone wiring and no, connected to a UPS. This was the response from their support staff:

"From: Erik H (support@voipo.com) 03:21PM 10/22/2012
Hello,

We do not support the use of in house phone wiring. The equipment we provide is not designed to be used with in house phone wiring. Using it can damage the adapter. Please connect your phones in directly to the adapter and let us know if any issues continue.

Thanks,
Erik H"

I haven't had a single phoned house since the 1960's and even then I had an extension or three. If this is this true, what value can they possibly be to anyone, unless living in a single bedroom apartment?

I'm obviously at the end of my rope and more importantly, my wife's rope, which will shortly be around my neck for making this change.

Comments:

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

Inside wiring

To be fair, they don't support house wiring because it can add a lot of hassle to troubleshooting. In the past they've had me plug my phone directly in to troubleshoot, then when the issue is resolved I connect my home wiring back up. Also, if your in-house wiring is still connected to the phone company, it absolutely can damage the ATA.

Even the phone company won't support inside wiring unless you pay extra!
The goal of the broadcast engineer is to get all the meters on the transmitter to go as far to the right as possible!!
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

1 recommendation

Reply from VOIPo Owner

Hello rfs0123,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw your review here.

Unfortunately we don't officially support house wiring because all houses are wired differently and without actually seeing it, we don't know how it's all wired, etc. If there is any other stuff running through the same wiring or connected in any way (even if not being used by you...the regular phone company could still be running through it unless physically disconnected outside), then that other current could damage the device or shorten its life. Without seeing what's what, we can't officially support house wiring.

The other reason we don't officially support house wiring officially is that the adapters only put out a limited amount of power and sometimes that's not enough to power a house that has a ton of jacks or devices wired up and that can cause sporadic problems. I can't tell you how many times we have people that are experiencing a ton of issues and then their issues go away when they (at our request) connect the phone directly to the device. This is a big variable since all houses are wired differently.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't use house wiring...many advanced users do if they're 100% sure their wiring has nothing else going through it and it's a reasonable amount for the small device to handle.

What it does mean though is that we can't officially support it or help you with it while connected to house wiring. We're more than happy to help if you connect a phone directly to the device even if it's temporarily. We just can't provide support with the phone connected to wiring that we know nothing about and have no control over since that's known to cause issues.

In a nutshell, our support policy is that we can only provide support when the device is connected in a direct way since that rules out the wiring as causing any issues.

I know it might be frustrating for you that we can't support your house wiring, but I hope that the above reasons at least help you understand somewhat why we have that policy.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com if you have any further questions. Thank you for your business!

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Reply from VOIPo Owner

Just as an update, I removed the house wiring from the equation and connected my base station directly to the Grandstream ATA, then did a total reboot of the modem, ATA & router, in that order. In limited testing, I still had dial outs to silence and drop calls when we actually did make it through. VOIPO support did get back to me with a download link to check my connect/setup, which I'll try tonight to see whether our problem is external.

ymhee_bcex
join:2006-04-21
Tarzana, CA
·PHONE POWER

Home wiring... 20th century

This is not a comment on VOIPo; but most cordless phones nowadays are sold with a base and many handsets. I haven't used home wiring since 2003... It probably wouldn't work if I tried landline today
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues
rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Home wiring... 20th century

I removed the exterior connection to Verizon years ago. My house wiring basically less than 100 ft of telephone copper wire installed from the basement to the 1st floor, where I have one wireless base with four wireless phones. The only other phone on the system is an older style 'wired' phone in the event the power goes down. My modem, ATA & router are on a UPS, which can give me around 30 minutes of use, bust mostly to protect the system from power variations and flicker outages.

Review by ymhee_bcex See Profile

• Location: Tarzana,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Good call quality, quick install, knowledgeable support"
Bad "24-month contract, website can be confusing"
Overall "So far so good"

·PHONE POWER
Update October 23, 2012.

===================

Apparently, voice quality problem cannot be resolved. Well, it looks like I will have to move this one problematic account. Tier II tech was noticeably embarrassed: "Yes, I can see that other Voipo phone number rings your adapter without any problems, and yes I can see that 5 other VSPs work fine with your router; but I was told by my superiors to tell you that it is your bandwidth - and the fact that another Voipo number works fine is just a fluke. No, I am not saying that it makes sense, but that's what I was told to tell you".

For now, I forwarded Voipo number to Google Voice and plugged the phone into Obi. Everything works fine. We need to decide whether switch phone number completely and use Google Voice; go through the pain of porting the number through Sprint pre-paid to Google Voice; or switch to some other provider like Future Nine. But at least my parents are happy with the voice quality - which is more than they can say about Voipo.

Update September 7, 2012. Voice quality problems continue; and the support is surprisingly bad from both technical and organizational perspective. The ticket gets passed from one tech to another without any notes, so the next one starts with the same script that it is probably a router or ISP, or Southern California heat. Then it gets escalated to level 2; and level 2 person turns out to be looking at the wrong account and gives a bunch of advice that doesn't apply. I first thought that he is an idiot - but then it was simply he was looking at the wrong account.

Update July 4, 2012: Voice quality is occasionally unacceptable. Then it seems to be working fine again. A good overview of people having problems (including me) is here: »forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/···n-issues. Tech support is knowledgeable, but their only troubleshooting tool seem to be ping. I was going to switch another line to Voipo, but now I think I will try CallCentric instead.

Update December 20, 2011: I got number ported in 10 days. As soon as I emailed them authorization letter, they created a ticket, and sent me periodical status updates. Specifically, they informed me in a day or two about the expected transfer day, and it happened right when they said.

VOIPo indeed resets adapter user password every time it reboots. When I contacted support about it, I encountered the first clueless tech (first three or four were top-notch). The problem wasn't that he wasn't knowledgeable; the problem is that he wasn't willing to accept that he doesn't know the answer and was trying to BS his way out of the situation. Finally, he contacted level 2, and they set the password to something that I specified. OK - but PhonePower somehow figured out the way to not touch user password on the same Grandstream model.

It's nice that both VOIPo and Phone Power include 60 minutes of international calls. However, regular international rates are notably higher than, say, Call With Us or VoipDiscount.

Now, please - do something about this freaking website of yours. If you don't have budget for it, at least set up a customer forum - you will get a lot of ideas "for free".

---------------------------------------

December 9, 2011. I switched one of my three accounts from VoicePulse to VOIPo, and I've had Phone Power for several months. So, I will compare these as much as I can.

I've had VOIPo service for less than a week; so I put quality and reliability to "best" (no complaints so far), but may come later and change if the problems arise.

Ordering / delivery / installation was completely seamless. I got adapter the next day (well, I live within driving distance from their Irvine office, but it's still nice surprise). The adapter is obviously used - but so is the DVR from the cable company, not a big deal. It got initialized in 10 minutes (as instructions say), and it works - what else do you need!

Voice quality is quite good. I made both domestic and international calls (haven't tried incoming calls yet, since old number still rings on the old phone, and nobody knows my new temporary number).

I absolutely love "cloned line". Essentially, you have two phones for the price of one. Both Phone Power and VOIPo have it; and VoicePulse doesn't. VOIPo has "Scheduling" feature. My PhonePower line needs it, but PP doesn't have it. On the other hand, phone power has incoming fax support. VOIPo has it only as an add-on feature for $36/yr.

It's very easy to get SIP credentials (Phone Power requires to open a ticket, but they included a "MagicJack-like" USB phone, so I never got a chance to do it). VOIPo accomplishes the same in one click; so I already successfully set up my PIAF pbx to dial through them.

Price-wise, VOIPo is the cheapest ($185 for 2 year contract) without any compromise on functionality. PP is $260 for two years (would be more if I ordered the adapter from them).

The biggest annoyance is VOIPo website. For starters, feature pages have CSS of "-moz-user-select=none". In other words, you can't cut and paste from the page. Don't know what they tried to accomplish (it's not that difficult to remove this style in Firefox), but the only thing they *did* accomplish was customer dissatisfaction.

Control panel is terrible. Some options don't work (for example, SMS control is advertised, but doesn't work); others lack any explanation ("speed dial" which is called "outbound routing" is very non-intuitive to set up).

One other odd thing. It looks like user password on the Grandstream adapter cannot be changed. When I change it, the adapter says that it requires reboot - but when I reboot, the password gets reset to the default ("123"). I wanted to be able to look at the adapter from the office, but obviously, I am not going to open firewall port if I can't change the password.

Comments:
AbleinTruth

join:2011-12-20
Beverly Hills, CA

GREAT feedback

Im a Web Designer... perhaps they will allow me to improve on their Website. Thank you for your stellar REVIEW!
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

Info

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw this.

Could you PM or e-mail your ticket numbers for the 10/23 update to tim @ voipo.com so I can take a look.

The response you got from our support sounds odd and I'd like to look into it and see if we can't get it resolved for you.

If one of your numbers works well and the other doesn't, something seems wrong there.

Please send me info so I can take a look and see what we can do about this. I'm not 100% sure that response from support is accurate without looking into it.

Thanks!

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Review by Freddy12 See Profile

• Location: Westbury,Nassau,NY
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, dropped calls everdyay, calls go directly to voice mail without ringing, caller ID erratic"
Overall "Unreliable at best, erratic, go elsewhere if you actually want your phone to work"

Voipo is the worst phone service I've ever had (had Vonage, Opt voice, Verizon, etc, all better). Nothing but dropped calls, calls going direct to voice mail and not even ringing my phone, terrible customer service who just say, after waiting in hold, and getting dropped 2-3 times, "this should fix it", and it never does. Also, Caller ID does not work either. Then they don't even answer your emails! TERRIBLE, even Vonage is better, and they are pretty bad. STEER CLEAR OF VOIPO. It's cheap for a reason...it's TERRIBLE, despite having a very fast 25/5 FIOS very reliable internet connection.

Despite dozens of attempts of working with Voipo to resolve all these issues, the problems never improved, regardless of what ridiculous reasons they kept telling me (must bypass house wiring and plug base units directly into VOIPO adaptor, so you must go into utility closet to make calls...can't plug into a power strip or it will "damage" the unit?!? WHAT?!?) . Then they just ignore your emails, and you can't get through on phone for live person. Just a nightmare. Voipo is totally unreliable, and has a mind of it's own, and I constantly miss important calls from doctors, family, co-workers, etc, despite my phone being on and waiting to ring. They go right to voice mail no matter what settings we tried. Then they tell me "you must re-boot it everyday for it to work right". If you are lucky enough to actually get a call to go through, your whole conversation goes like this "can you hear me now...how about now...hello...can you hear me now?". DO NOT GET VOIPO, your cell phone is way more reliable and that's not saying much.

Comments:

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

Apparent local problem

I've had VOIPo for years (and have renewed through 2014) - their service has been mostly flawless. Every time I pick up the phone it just works.

Perhaps if your adapter is sitting behind a firewall, it's a firewall configuration issue.

Review by Davefred99 See Profile

• Location: Moreno Valley,Riverside,CA
Good "Easy to set up,Good Price for full service Voip provider"
Bad "Minimal BYOD support, some problems with call quality"
Overall "For many this would be a good provider if you just want a plug and play setup"

·Callcentric
·Anveo
I have been using Voipo for about 9 mos and in the beginning it was trouble free or at least seemed so. After about 6 mos I started getting some choppy calls and no answer calls or the other party could not hear me. I opened a support ticket and to there credit they were very quick and eager to help. After some trouble shooting and a live call in they logged into my ATA and changed a fee things including my server and things were much better but not perfect. I have since purchased an OBI202 ATA and set them up for incoming only because I use Google Voice for all outgoing and some incoming calls and do not have anymore problems. I need to set them up as an outgoing service just to see if the problems I was having were ATA related.

I also had a fax only Cloud number but recently ported it over to Anveo mostly because its cheaper and I seldom use the fax so its not critical. I am considering moving my Voipo Number over to Anveo as well because I prefer to roll my own and use my own ATA. Its hard to fault Voipo as they do not pretend to be a BYOD provider but do have some limited support. I am a cost conscious user and try to get the best bang for the buck and it seems Voipo is moving to more of a mainstream premium provider.were as I want a more value based BYOD service.

member for 1.9 years, 801 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Gaff See Profile

• Location: North TX, US
Good "About as simple as VOIP gets"
Bad "Not much right now"
Overall "I should have done this years ago"

·Suddenlink
·AT&T Southwest
After coming to the belated realisation that I was paying AT&T too much for home phone and DSL service and had been for some time, I started shopping around for a VOIP solution which I knew from research was much cheaper to provide than traditional telephony services.

After seeing VOIPo recommended elsewhere on these forums, I started to look at them closely. $165 for two years of service (breaking down to $6.88 a month) seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and so I signed up on 8/6 and received the VOIPo ATA unit on 8/10 (a Grandstream HT702 - provided free of charge for the lifetime of my service).

Installation was as simple as connecting one end to my router, connecting the other end to my phone and plugging in the power. After a few minutes of the lights flashing I suddenly had a dialtone and was up and running.

I did have some issues with the fact that I was using a Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone, which apparently has some problems correctly receiving caller ID information from the VOIPo ATA. I also had a problem whereby the ATA would not correctly hang up the line when a call came in that was answered by my answering machine but no message was left.

One email and one livechat with VOIPo support later and a new firmware upgrade for my ATA solved both of those issues in about 20 minutes.

The one last niggle was that my VOIPo-provided voicemail did not work. The tech who fixed my above problems could not fix that one and passed the ticket on to tier 2 support, who in turn passed it to tier 3 and the issue was fixed less than 90 minutes after the livechat.

So all in all, everything is now working flawlessly and I am paying about 85% less than what I would be paying AT&T for what is a superior service with features and extras all over the place, one of which is 60 minutes of free calls a month to a long list of countries, which is going to be very useful to an ex-pat Brit like myself.

The only downside is that I wish that I had done this a long time ago.

Do yourself a favour: stop giving the incumbent phone companies ridiculous amounts of money for what costs them very little to provide and get in step with today's technology. Your wallet will certainly thank you for it.

member for 14.9 years, 3715 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bgraham See Profile

• Location: Smithtown,Suffolk,NY
Good "Everything works just as it should. Been a customer for 2 years."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Great service and support. Call quality is as good as POTS."

Just a great service. Not sure if the $18 a month is my grandfathered price and the current price is different, but for $18 a month you can't go wrong. I also call home to the UK 3 or 4 times a month and the package includes 60 free international minutes a month so I never have to pay for international calls.
The only problem I ever had was that I can't call local only 800 #'s. Who cares, I just call the non 800#.
I cannot remember the service ever going down, other than maybe once or twice in the last 2 years for an hour or so.

Update July 2012
Switched to the $189 for 2 year prepaid contract. Have about 6 months left on it and if they don't grandfather me to another 2 year prepaid contract I will still be happy to go back to the $18 a month price.

member for 13.3 years, 3437 visits, last login: 132 days ago

Comments:

Steamed

@rr.com

Constant Problems

A couple times a month for the past year I have trouble with the service. Usually, I can't make calls. I find the positive reviews here dubious.