VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Davefred99 See Profile

• Location: Moreno Valley,Riverside,CA
Good "Easy to set up,Good Price for full service Voip provider"
Bad "Minimal BYOD support, some problems with call quality"
Overall "For many this would be a good provider if you just want a plug and play setup"

·Callcentric
·Anveo
I have been using Voipo for about 9 mos and in the beginning it was trouble free or at least seemed so. After about 6 mos I started getting some choppy calls and no answer calls or the other party could not hear me. I opened a support ticket and to there credit they were very quick and eager to help. After some trouble shooting and a live call in they logged into my ATA and changed a fee things including my server and things were much better but not perfect. I have since purchased an OBI202 ATA and set them up for incoming only because I use Google Voice for all outgoing and some incoming calls and do not have anymore problems. I need to set them up as an outgoing service just to see if the problems I was having were ATA related.

I also had a fax only Cloud number but recently ported it over to Anveo mostly because its cheaper and I seldom use the fax so its not critical. I am considering moving my Voipo Number over to Anveo as well because I prefer to roll my own and use my own ATA. Its hard to fault Voipo as they do not pretend to be a BYOD provider but do have some limited support. I am a cost conscious user and try to get the best bang for the buck and it seems Voipo is moving to more of a mainstream premium provider.were as I want a more value based BYOD service.

Comments:

Review by Gaff See Profile

• Location: North TX, US
Good "About as simple as VOIP gets"
Bad "Not much right now"
Overall "I should have done this years ago"

·Suddenlink
After coming to the belated realisation that I was paying AT&T too much for home phone and DSL service and had been for some time, I started shopping around for a VOIP solution which I knew from research was much cheaper to provide than traditional telephony services.

After seeing VOIPo recommended elsewhere on these forums, I started to look at them closely. $165 for two years of service (breaking down to $6.88 a month) seemed like too good of a deal to pass up and so I signed up on 8/6 and received the VOIPo ATA unit on 8/10 (a Grandstream HT702 - provided free of charge for the lifetime of my service).

Installation was as simple as connecting one end to my router, connecting the other end to my phone and plugging in the power. After a few minutes of the lights flashing I suddenly had a dialtone and was up and running.

I did have some issues with the fact that I was using a Panasonic DECT 6.0 cordless phone, which apparently has some problems correctly receiving caller ID information from the VOIPo ATA. I also had a problem whereby the ATA would not correctly hang up the line when a call came in that was answered by my answering machine but no message was left.

One email and one livechat with VOIPo support later and a new firmware upgrade for my ATA solved both of those issues in about 20 minutes.

The one last niggle was that my VOIPo-provided voicemail did not work. The tech who fixed my above problems could not fix that one and passed the ticket on to tier 2 support, who in turn passed it to tier 3 and the issue was fixed less than 90 minutes after the livechat.

So all in all, everything is now working flawlessly and I am paying about 85% less than what I would be paying AT&T for what is a superior service with features and extras all over the place, one of which is 60 minutes of free calls a month to a long list of countries, which is going to be very useful to an ex-pat Brit like myself.

The only downside is that I wish that I had done this a long time ago.

Do yourself a favour: stop giving the incumbent phone companies ridiculous amounts of money for what costs them very little to provide and get in step with today's technology. Your wallet will certainly thank you for it.

member for 14.9 years, 3758 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bgraham See Profile

• Location: Smithtown,Suffolk,NY
Good "Everything works just as it should. Been a customer for 2 years."
Bad "Nothing."
Overall "Great service and support. Call quality is as good as POTS."

Just a great service. Not sure if the $18 a month is my grandfathered price and the current price is different, but for $18 a month you can't go wrong. I also call home to the UK 3 or 4 times a month and the package includes 60 free international minutes a month so I never have to pay for international calls.
The only problem I ever had was that I can't call local only 800 #'s. Who cares, I just call the non 800#.
I cannot remember the service ever going down, other than maybe once or twice in the last 2 years for an hour or so.

Update July 2012
Switched to the $189 for 2 year prepaid contract. Have about 6 months left on it and if they don't grandfather me to another 2 year prepaid contract I will still be happy to go back to the $18 a month price.

member for 13.4 years, 3437 visits, last login: 162 days ago

Comments:

Steamed

@rr.com

Constant Problems

A couple times a month for the past year I have trouble with the service. Usually, I can't make calls. I find the positive reviews here dubious.

Review by Goliath13 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Local Call Center. Answer Calls, Tech Support."
Bad "The Calling and Receiving Part Sucks."
Overall "Decent Value but terrible voice quality, receipt and sending of calls."

So I've had VoipO for over a year. I've been using this service with the Pap2 adapter connected to my router and 2 Panasonic cordless phones.

I'm also a customer of Voip.ms and callwithus at my office (very happy there). I decided to go with VOIPO here because I thought it would be the better value with the wife calling the east coast all the time and they had an unlimited rate. First off the WAF is terrible and I really can't blame her.

I would say 50% of calls made return a busy signal even though the other end isn't busy. That's a 50% success rate.

When others call us either there is a few second delay or we just don't get sound and look like idiots repeatedly saying hello hello hellllooo ....

Call quality isn't good although I can't objectively say it's because of my phones or the Pap2 connector or VOIPo.

In the beginning we were getting messages from the phone saying no service or whatever. A couple of calls to VOIPo fixed that.

On the plus side they do have a local call center and you can actually call them and get somebody else on the other side. Their customer service seems on the better side of the other voip vendors I've tried who just deal with e-mails.

Overall, if you're persistent you can get a call and make a call after a few tries, in my case at least but honestly why should it be so hard?

I'm anxiously waiting for the day my service expires with this company and I'll be switching to somebody else.

Comments:
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Cannot Use Home Wiring with Voipo????!

Removed comments and started a new thread.

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

File a trouble report ticket

I've had Voipo for quite a while. I started having trouble with 1-way calls.

I finally got tired of it and created a tech support incident. The first "repair" caused my call quality to go from crystal clear to crap. The second round though, they appear to have fixed it. The most interesting part is that whatever they did also fixed the delay when answering calls. No more "helllooo? hello??".

I've dealt with that damn delay for so long, it's unbelievably refreshing to be able to just answer the phone and talk!
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Review by SuperNet9 See Profile

• Location: Harwood Heights,Cook,IL
Good "Cheap, Good service when it works, Tech Support"
Bad "Bad service twice a month atleast"
Overall "Buy if your fine with Calling tech support twice a month!"

Update 6-28-12

I canceled VoIPO due to many factors, it just didn't work well for me and since I barley used the service I expected to work when I needed it to. I talked to there tech support many times and even have voipotim get me to a higher tech support and they just couldn't help..

To cancel the service was pretty painless so that is a plus!!

When it works it is great but when it doesn't it sucks!

Update 3-6-12,

I really only use VoIPO service on Monday's and Tuesdays for a total of 15 calls..
I noticed a lot of issue, 1) I have to reboot my TA every other call. 2) Other person who I call can't hear me, but I can hear them, 3) Call's drop..

But I must say, when It works, it works great.. I just wish it worked great 97% of the time.

- SuperNet
-------------------

I had VoIPo for about 7 months now and at least twice a month I have to do a web tech support chat, granted they fix it but it comes back..

For awhile, I had the phone call disconnect after 5 min of use..
Then I had a dial tone, but when I made a call, it never rang
Often times, I don't have a dial tone and I had to reboot the TA..

I recommend this service if you don't really use the phone much like I do and can deal with issues.

EDIT/UPDATE: After speaking with VoipoTim, He sent me out a new TA and everything seems to be working fine(knock on wood).. So I am updating this review, at this point I would recommend them to anyone, even my mom:)..

Go VoIPO !!!

member for 11.8 years, 5599 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by motoracer See Profile

• Location: Valencia,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Cheap, good customer service, great call quality"
Bad "Absolutely none."
Overall "I would recommend VOIPo to anyone."

Update 5/26/12 - Still working like a charm. No problems/complaints.

-------------------------------------------------------

Update 7/12/11 - Just wanted to update my review to say I haven't had any problems with my service. Everything is working perfectly. Thanks VOIPo!

-------------------------------------------------------

Update: 2/17/11 - Service has been really stable. No problems. Highly recommend VOIPo!

--------------------------------------------------------

Update: 9/24/09 - No problems at all for the last few months. Keep up the good work guys/gals!

----------------------------------------------------------

Update: 5/16/09 - Phones have been a little unreliable as of late. I'll sometimes pick up my phone and get no dialtone. I've also sporadically had calls directed to my failover number. The problem usually fixes itself, but nonetheless, still having problems.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Update: 4/15/09 - Haven't had a single problem since my ATA replacement. I have upgraded my scorecard of VOIPo accordingly. Keep up the good work Tim and team!

------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 4/9/09 - VOIPo has been great lately - the only complaint I have is that I'm getting an echo during phone conversations every once in awhile (it'll last about 45 seconds then go away). Outside of the echo, I haven't had any problems. Good job VOIPo.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 3/27/09 - I haven't had my phone go down once (other than when my DSL went down for a little bit // not due to VOIPo) since the PAP2T replacement. I'm upgrading VOIPo's rating in this review to reflect the better service - will do so again in the future if it is warranted.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Update: 2/28/09 - All has been working well as of late. Hopefully the kinks have been cleared up.

---------------------------------------------------------------

I've had many problems with VOIPo's reliability. Due to issues outside of my control, my ATA loses registration, and it won't automatically re-register itself **as it's supposed to** until I physically reboot the device forcing it to re-register. It's to a point where I randomly use my phone to call my cell just to see if it's working (not good at all). As of now, I would not recommend anyone switching to VOIPo until they get a lot of kinks worked out.

I'll add more updates down the line.

member for 10.9 years, 3676 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Grove City,Franklin,OH
Good "Great voice quality and Technical Support"
Bad "Not much really..."
Overall "Switch NOW"

I have had VOIPO for about 4 months and I am most impressed. A couple of times I needed technical support and they were quick and very helpful. The features of the phone are great. If you have people calling you don't want to talk to, you can make sure they hear a busy signal or a couple of options. I do agree that the web interface could use some spucing up but for what I was paying AT&T a few months ago it is ok by me. The call quality is as good as AT&T. I have no regrets about the change and would suggest it to anyone that wants to $200-300 / year.

(review was emailed from domain sbcglobal.net)

Comments:

Review by videonex See Profile

• Location: Fullerton,Orange,CA

For simplicity at the price, can't be beat. Take advantage of the 2 year pre pay deal. Can't go wrong.

member for 13.1 years, 3808 visits, last login: 292 days ago

Comments:

Review by csiemers See Profile

• Location: Portland,Multnomah,OR
Good "Plug and Play"
Bad "Wasn't using years ago"
Overall "Working fine for us, might for you too!"

We had cut the land line thinking we could just use cell phones. However, to save more money had to cut back on unlimited cell minutes so got Voipo to supplement that.
Ordered on-line and about a week later received the device to plug into network.
Had to contact Voipo support to get a couple minor configurations issues taken care of, but they did it quickly.
Have had about a month now so time will tell.

member for 13.9 years, 6574 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Brian in MD See Profile

• Location: Maryland, US
Good "Reliable, excellent call quality"
Bad "None!"
Overall "Excellent new VOIP company with a ton of potential"

I've been using the VOIPo beta for well over a year now, and service has been excellent. Call quality is on-par or better than most of the providers I've used, and the guys running things really seem to care about overall quality of their product. Downtime has been almost non-existent (considering it's still in beta, that's pretty good!), and the feature set is full of all the essentials. The control panel is home-grown, and functions perfectly, with changes taking effect immediately, and the interface is simple for anyone to use.

Please note that the total monthly price doesn't include fees, as those aren't known yet, but I'll update this review once they are.

Overall, even though the company hasn't gone large-scale yet, I think VOIPo has a ton of potential to become huge.

Update - 12/22/08 - Service has continued to work flawlessly. There have been no outages or significant disruptions. Everything is still great!

Update - 4/4/08 - All is good. My GrandStream device has been replaced with a PAP2T and things seem very stable. New features (including SimulRing) have been launched.

Update - 9/8/09 - All is still good. A bunch of new features, including 60 mins/mo of international calling. The service has been rock solid for me.

member for 11.3 years, 4176 visits, last login: 137 days ago