VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by CP43 See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Nothing. Never worked."
Bad "Did not ever work after 5 attempts by Tech Support to Resolve"
Overall "The are using cheapest Carriers for land connection service so don't expect it to work consistently "

I ordered Business Service. And ordered an extra Cloud Based Number which should have worked right away but never did.
Once number was assigned I forwarded it to my Verizon cell phone and tried to call.
Attempt 1: Busy signal
Attempt 2: 1 ring then Busy signal
Attempt 3 - 14 more of the same except on 2 occasions the cell phone rang 2 times then the connection dropped and I got a busy signal on my home phone that I was calling from.

*** Read the MANY truthful reviews regarding how BAD the service inconsistency is AND you will be able to discern the TRUTH.

Tech Support ticket. Told that they would do a "Route Treatment" give 5 min and try again. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #2: Technician said they had tested on most of the 15 available Carrier Routes but there was a few left and try this one. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #3: Was told they would Re-provision the line, meaning disconnect and re install the number. More of the same...
Tech Support ticket #4 & 5 no better and service never worked to complete so much as 1 phone call.
I think the facts tell the story. They are clearly using Route Carriers (meaning land line phone companies for switching and routing) that are bottom of the barrel with terrible inconsistency because of old failing equipment.
If you want lots of headaches at some point they will be a good choice.

Comments:
Pufferty

join:2014-07-07

Contact the Owner

Timothy Dick, known around here as VoIPoTim, is very involved and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you.
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our service.

If you'd like me to review it for you, I'm happy to look at your tickets to see if we could have handled anything differently or if it's just a case where we didn't have a good route to the particular destination you were trying to forward to.

Feel free to reach out to me at tim @ voipo.com if you'd like me to help.

VOIPO.com

Review by protosd See Profile

• Location: Southern Pines,Moore,NC

The call quality has always been bad. When I called them they were very nice and told me it was my isp. So I switched from DSL to cable with no change. They refused to replace my box. I decided to tough it out the 2 years but after 11 months it has started to drop the area code so if I dial a different area code I get a local number instead. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. That and the very bad call quality is the end of voipo for me.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and just saw this. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

If you'd like I'd be happy to have a supervisor take a look at this to see if you do have a bad adapter and get it swapped out for you if that's the case.

Would you like me to look into this for you or have you already cancelled service? We'd love to try to solve it and keep your business if it's a fixable issue.

Just e-mail your VOIPo number to me directly to tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Sorry again for the trouble and thank you for your business!

VOIPO.com

DocGrimwig

join:2013-12-19
Grand Rapids, MI

Response to Protosd

Don't give up, protosd!

My company uses VoiPo as our host provider to my VOIP customers.
We have been testing VopiPo for nearly a year now, and I can say (with a few minor exceptions) that what you are experiencing is only going to get better by the day, regardless of which VOIP Provider you go with. Placing all of the issues that are being experienced on to VoiPo, is more times than not, misplaced--more likely misunderstood. VOIP is a new relatively new industry. We are just now (in the US) beginning to truly embrace the thought of upgrading to a digital telephone world. VoiPo is one of the VOIP providers with a great track record with their last company (Host Gator) that recently sold for more money than you and I have jingling in our pockets to be sure. They got that opportunity because of their commitment to the customer. No, I am not a shill for VoiPo, I promise. I do not know Mr. Dick or his team with the exception of his engineers through whom I have had the pleasure of speaking with as my company tests their products. They are truly my competitor--But that's how much respect I have for them.
Yes, I have had issues myself, but for the most part they were fixed in a matter of minutes, and most of the time the fault lay with our implementation of the technology; the ISP; and even more times with the telephone equipment and wiring.
All of us who are braving this exciting new tech all need to understand that we are getting 400 horsepower (digital service) of service out of a 200 horsepower engine (analog service). What I mean is that, we are trying to shove a far superior technology through equipment and wires meant for lo-tech. You want a GREAT experience with little chance of failure? Try purchasing a VOIP telephone and use that instead of an adapter and old tele equipment and see what VOIP truly has to offer. You will very pleased.
We, as VOIP telecom companies are trying to bridge a technology gap until the marketplace catches up with our technology advances. So if you are using the VOIP service with analog adapters and telephone equipment, you should expect to receive a good experience if you have all of your equipment and wiring up to standards. After that, it's up to the ISP (who is delivering your packets of voice information to the person you are calling), to be able to handle the static noise etc. that most likely is emanating from our non-digital equipment. The key is that analog service can handle a loose connection, lots of static etc that is common with analog configurations and equipment. Digital is very intolerant of it. It's because of the way information is transmitted.

Bottom line, Hang in their with VoiPo and VOIP in general Protosd! AT&T just announced that they will be out of the analog business ENTIRELY by 2020. They have recognized the superiority of VOIP and are abandoning copper wiring altogether and coming over to our side finally. So you want to have a discussion about talk about bad service? You can expect a consistent downgrade of service and experience as the #1 player in analog business goes out of the analog business! Happy Holidays Proto, VoiPo and all others on this forum!
Doc

Review by dsl1234 See Profile

• Location: Golden,Jefferson,CO
Good "Excellent service first 30-90 days. If you hit the jackpot and find the service reliable, the price is great."
Bad "15 minute call drops on every softphone/BYOD call; frequent 1-way audio; ineffective tech support"
Overall "Service quality declines the longer you use them - best to avoid VOIPO"

Ordered the 2 year package which would cost $8/mo paid in advance if you stay with them the full 24 months. They provided a new Grandstream ATA. But service quality gradually declined, particularly with frequent one-way audio. We have tried everything they suggested. We even purchased our own Obi100 instead of their Grandstream. Either device still gets unreliable service with VOIPO. The frequent one-way audio and precise 15 minute disconnects on every call placed through a softphone or BYOD such as an Obi100 were major annoyances. They disconnected all of our Obi100 calls after 15 minutes to the second. They also want you to forward a huge range of router ports in an effort to get their service to work. But it did not help at all in our case.

Pro: Cancellations after 30 days are prorated which is a better cancellation deal than some others if you cancel. But watch out for auto renewal if you don't want to renew! And port your number out first before you cancel if you want to keep your number.

Pro: They provide a telephone adapter device that is preconfigured for use with Voipo. This means potentially easier setup of their service than some services where you provide the device and configure it yourself.

CON: If their phone adapter breaks, your service is down until they can ship you a replacement. You cannot go to the computer store and buy an adapter as a replacement because if the VOIPO adapter is broken and is therefore not registered to their network, you cannot add a BYOD adapter or a softphone. You also may not be able to get them to cross-ship a replacement so your downtime without phone service could be significant.

Our test of VOIPO vs voip.ms:

We even signed up with another provider called voip.ms and put them on port 2 of our Obi100 while voipo was on port 1. The voip.ms service on port 2 has worked for about a year with no need for tech support and no 15 minute disconnects!

Our Obi100 was configured using preset profiles provided by both VOIPO and voip.ms at Obitalk.com. So our device is in effect configured by each provider for their own port. Our conclusion after a year of comparison is that the voipo.com service is not usable and we have decided to port our number out to another provider several months before our VOIPO contract runs out.

Voipo also claims to support softphones BYOD, but when you try to connect your own device, you may run into this message:

"Unfortunately we have not verified that your device is currently provisioned and registered to VOIPo's network, please ensure your device is currently connected and registered in order to retrieve your softphone SIP credentials!"

which means you have to always have a Voipo-provided device connected or at least at the ready to resolve any issues with your BYOD. If you use a softphone and you are away from home and encounter a BYOD/softphone issue, your service could be disrupted until you can get home and get the official Voipo device reconnected and re-registered. It can be an annoying nightmare trying to use this service if you have to troubleshoot anything.

Tech support consists of boilerplate emails telling you to restart the Grandstream and router and to port forward a huge range of ports. If that doesn't work and your Grandstream or BYOD phone adapter is behind your firewall (like it should be for security), you will get a notice that they don't support even their own Grandstreams if attached behind a firewall.

Given all the gotchas with Voipo, don't be surprised if problems arise with your service. But if you luck out and do not have problems, rejoice and enjoy the low price.

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I had the same problems when I first got service with them. I did with several others too. The others couldn't figure it out so I moved on to and have been with VOIPO for many years. And this was since their beginning. As far as their Tech Support they bent over backwards never once blaming me or pointing fingers as everyone seems to do these days. And still to this day immediately jump on any issue I have. Trouble Tickets are answered within 15 minutes. The techs are the same U.S. based group that have been there for a long time and are quite friendly, proficient and expedient at what they do. Come to find out, the problems that were happening were caused by the ISP I had at the time. Who's your ISP, that makes a big difference in how anybodies VoIP service runs. Also, if your ISP has their own VoIP product, they might very well be "favoring" their service over yours and that's where it gets problematic. I have 7 neighbors on their service and only one is having problems and they are still on the Telco DSL that the rest of us left and went to more solid cable where these issues are gone. Now as with any VoIP service there are going to be hiccups now and then. But I have seen very few lately and if they are anything I need to have TS on, they are dealt with in short order.

Although VOIPO chose to concentrate on phone services, unlike ViaTalk my previous provider, I have also found that for the price they have the most and best added on features of any service. With them I have been able to tailor my lifestyle where I am not annoyed with the trappings that you usually get with a POTS or other services.

As far as accusations about the way their actions are tailored to create revenue, I'd get some facts before making statements like that. It's all conjecture on your part and does not add to the review. Plus their TOS are not all that different than the rest.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO

Re: That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I really don't think the ISP is relevant since another provider on port 2 of the same Obi100 telephone adapter device VOIPO is on works fine - (obviously with the same ISP for both ports.) It's the same phone adapter, the same router, the same ISP but VOIPO does not work and voip.ms does work. Go figure. But if you have good results with VOIPO, stay there - they have a great price.

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Cheap. Note, not inexpensive. Cheap."
Bad "Giving up on this service. I've had enough of the problems."
Overall "Don't waste your time with this company."

11/6 - And canceled! I've had Ooma for almost a month. So far, no 1-way audio issues. No dropped calls. No call quality issues. Multi-ring just works (tm) and so far, aside from the slightly higher costs, I'm not missing VoIPO. Hopefully, they can turn things around.

10/13 - I've had enough. Switching as soon as I can.

5/12 - Dropped my rankings on call quality, reliability, tech support and value for money considerably.

On regular occasion, I call my parents. 99.9% of the time, there's a problem. Here lately, I call them, they can hear me, I can't hear them. They call me and get a busy signal. We're both customers of VoIPO.

I will email tech support. They'll fidget with our accounts. For a day or three after that, everything works fine. Then, suddenly, I can't make any out bound calls. So, they'll fidget some more. Then I can make out bound calls but I can't call my parents.

My patience is running very thin with this company at this point.

------

12/11 - Service is okay for the most part. There are some weird issues. Such as if my parent's call me. I can hear them. They can't hear me. Router settings from the last time this happened haven't changed. Sometimes I dial a number and nothing happens - even if I have dial tone. For the price, I tolerate it.

-------

1/11 - After a year of no issues, my parents decided to switch. We both scored a 2 year deal for $180 (taxes inclu.). Install for the parents went smoothly. However, we weren't able to place calls to each other. If I called them, they could hear me. But I could not hear them and vice versa. Opened a ticket with VOIPo and it was resolved in about a week. I had to port forward 5004-65000/udp to the ATA. Doing that resolved all of the issues.

4/10 - No issues or outages so far. I've sent several general question/comments to VOIPo and they were responded to in a very quick fashion. Even general off-the-wall type questions have been answered quickly and professionally.

Ordered on 12/2/09. Got the adapter on 12/5/09. Ordering was easy.

Thought I had a regular phone to hook up to this adapter. Turns out that isn't the case. Threw them all out after getting used to the Uniden cordless adapter for Packet8.

The Linksys Broadband router they sent me is of used condition. And the warranty tag on the bottom of it is broken.

member for 10.1 years, 4939 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Robert Varel

@verizon.net

VoipO

I've had this service for over 5 years. We have had no problems with this service. Excellent reception and voice quality. Never miss a call and I like the fax features.

Re: VoipO

I to have been a customer for quite some time. And the problems are getting worse and worse.

I get people who send me emails or call my cell phone because my home line rings or says the number is no longer in service.

I get tons of one way (and here of late no way) audio issues.

Support sucks. They just go over the same script each time I notify them of a problem. I've put the MTA (now on the second MTA) directly on the cable modem and the issues persist. Connectivity to their network doesn't seem to be an issue based on their diagnostics.

So, enough is enough.

Janet

@14.192.210.x
Yup. I too use the service after reading some review about Voipo at voipbands. So far so good.

·ViaTalk

There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

I ran to them after having many major problems with ViaTalk and several other providers that makes what you are going through pleasurable. What you are going through sounds exactly like what I did in my early days with VoIPO. I think I'm going on 6 years now. Just reupped for another 2 last Spring and am looking to bring the other house line over real soon. And even though they have been around a while, the VoIP biz is still kinda in its fledgling years. As far as VoIPO, their tech support has been the best I have ever encountered and Yes, I had my problems just like yours to the point that a good many Techs know me by my first name. And as you said you eMailed them. I get a response with in 5-20 minutes every time and mostly telling me it's fixed or that they did something, to reboot my ATA and it's fixed. This kind of TS is unheard of and I have never had TS like this anywhere before. And the guys are great, funny and personable. Their CEO VoIPOTim can be seen in many forums with, seriously, about a billion posts from him directly to customers trying to help. Now mind me, I'm not saying they're perfect. None of these services are. They all have their idiosyncrasies. But VoIPO is a lot better, with great features, not as many as some providers I have had - but in time I hope. I think they went for quality over gadgets first. And for the price, you get more bang for the buck than many other providers.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is when you put a service like this on an Internet carrier, VoIPO has to accommodate all their idiosyncrasies to make things work for you. It's not as if all ISP's were identical, only in a perfect world, and they could blanket tune everyone. Still to this day we have issues but nothing that hasn't been take care of in minutes. ALSO a big game changer was when I moved, for this reason specifically, from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast, things got a lot better instantly. And since I have had some erratic problems, but a lot fewer issues now that I have a "better" Internet connection. I have moved over several of my neighbors and see that things do vary as to who they have as their ISP. This is a big kicker with VoIP. It can only be as good as your ISP and personal network.

I would think that if your parents have them there must have been at least some good in this to make you switch over. You are far too new on their service for them to have located your issues and had a chance to address them. Of which is part of getting services like this these days. I have had the same connections issues with one of my neighbors that is still on CL. We use each other as testbeds. He is having the same problems across the board that I did before I moved to cable Internet. So . . . hang in there if you are serious about having VoIP phone service. You'll have to no matter who you have as a provider.

Take Care and Good Luck. It'll all work out.
. . . fb

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Far too new? Really? Going on 5 years is too new? How long, exactly should they take to find my issues?

My parents are on a cable provider and have the same issues as I do. Though, not as severe as I have it with regards to local calls. For the record, they followed me to VoIPO.

I've emailed Tim. Many times. And you're right they do return your emails pretty quickly. But the problems never get fixed. Well, they do. For a week or two. Then they break again. And then the T1 techs say its my network or router settings (which never changed) that must be the problems.

When I was a Vonage and Packet8 subscriber, these kinds of issues were *non*existant*. Shame their prices are so crazy high.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Well then, I guess it's time to cut your losses and move on. If I had all the problems that you still do for this long I would have moved on long ago. As I was looking to do and tried one more thing, moving from telco DSL to Cable and things are 90% better now. My one neighbor that is having the same problems I was is still on the same telco DSL I had. The rest, we have all moved to cable for Internet. I bet the minute he's off it and on a better service things will change. But now that most everyone is offering a type of "phone" over their services, it'd be hard to find an Internet provider that wouldn't favor their service over yours. The same problem I had with SprintION, 1998-2002, when Qwest gave them grief. I lost the best Internet and phone service we'll ever see. I'm moving the rest of my house over to VoIPO at the end of the month. Was just waiting for the family to get settled with the new Hopper before I threw more different stuff at them.

And yes, VoIP service in some respects is very new. Now my ION service, over 10 years ago was perfect so it can be done. These days it just depends on what you get for what you pay for.

Take Care and Good Luck . . .

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Consider them cut. In the month I've had Ooma there's not been one issue with 1-way audio (my firewall rules are back to most restrictive). No issues of availability. No issues with multi-ring. No issues with audio quality.

Just none.

I do concede, a bit, that the ISP can impact services. However, after having Vonage, Packet8 and now Ooma - none of the services have/had the problems that VoIPO has.

I called Dad tonight on my cell. He could hear me. But I couldn't hear him. 2 nights ago, his number was unavailable from both Ooma and Verizon. I suspect they'll be losing another account before too much longer.

said by FarmerBob:

I completely disagree with this attitude. VoIP is mature enough that any problem can be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and the root cause identified. The question is "is it worth the effort at this particular price point". For Google Voice you are completely on your own, and business providers offer strong SLAs. Voipo obviously is much closer to free Google Voice and - by comparison - their support is terrific. But at some point they blame router, internet provider, and California weather instead of additional troubleshooting.

Note: I've had 5 lines with Voipo; very happy with 4 and had to cancel 1 (about which Tim was very professional, and I have nothing but good to say about the process). So, it's not to bash Voipo - it's just you need to understand what you are getting. More expensive providers have more robust troubleshooting andproblemsolving tools.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here. It's quantitative analysis from my time having VoIP services since the late 90's and having been part of many sides of the industry. VoIP may have it own level of maturity, but it has a way to go and a battle with ISP's that can and will be real children when you use their pipe for third party VoIP and not theirs. Just read the industry trades.

Of all the services out there VoIPO and company for the money are the best. I love my "Founders" account.

said by FarmerBob:

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here.

That's part of the attitude that I am talking about. You disagree with me (which is perfectly fine of course), but for some reason you feel entitled to call my wording wrong. What makes you think that your quantitative analysis is better than mine, or that your read of industry trades is more accurate than mine? You didn't give any reasons, and none come to mind.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

WHOA! Way off on a major tangent. Your the one that used the word "attitude" which it isn't. It's more of an opinion from exposure, if anything else. And I never said my QA was better than your anything. I was just defending myself and addressing your use of the word "attitude".

It anything is of "attitude" it's your poorly worded defensiveness.

Sorry I ever posted.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO
Aren't you saying you don't mind poor service? You don't mind emailing tech support and rebooting your equipment, etc. I live near Littleton too and have voip.ms here and don't have to do this stuff working with tech support, rebooting adapter, rebooting router, etc, etc. Evidently the service you have had elsewhere is so bad, it makes Voipo look good, but you are actually getting only fair to poor service quality based on your own description.

said by dsl1234:

No. Not at all. Just the opposite, I'm getting great service. Why else would I re-up for another 2 years, have brought over several neighbors and am moving all my numbers to their service?

I'm not sure what you are reading?

CuriousGuy
Boom goes the dynamite

join:2002-05-14
Rego Park, NY

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

Review by caylor931 See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, Call blocking & Routing Features"
Bad "SIP, International Call Blocking, "
Overall "DO NOT USE if international calling from SIP"

My wife is from Panama and routinely makes calls to her family there. We had Vonage and she regularly used their "extensions" program on her android smartphone with ZERO limitations on the number she calls. The only difference is the rates are higher for mobile numbers vs landlines (Vonage clearly shows the pricing difference if you research the number). So we set up the SIP soft phone software on VOIPo and she tried calling and kept getting the "call is not authorized" message. I added the country to the authorized list and it still blocked the calls. Finally reached out to VOIPo customer support and they informed us that mobile numbers are not authorized to be called from a SIP (soft phone), thus they were being blocked. I switched back to Vonage as this was a deal breaker for us. Also to note....when I was switching back to Vonage, I discovered they have now added Panama as a location where we can have an international extension. So now her family can call her at local rates and we set up the simultaneous ring so it rings her mobile phone when they call. Vonage rocks here!!!

One plus for VOIPo: Their ability to block or route calls on a per-number basis was really nice. Vonage would grab even more customers if they implemented this feature.

BOTTOM LINE:

DO NOT USE VOIPo if you want to call overseas numbers from your BYOD. While they let you use SIP (soft phone) from your mobile device, it is likely you will not be able to call mobile numbers overseas. Since the majority of the people you will likely be calling overseas will be using mobile phones (mostly only businesses use landlines overseas now).

VOIPo doesn't notify you of this fact, that mobile numbers are blocked for international calling from SIP, their tech support just said that "certain international destinations may not be reachable through the remote access number or BYOD features." I disagree that that is the same as certain numbers (mobile numbers only) within a certain destination, because their website says that if the country is not listed it is not available for use by BYOD. Even more contradictory, is even when I try to use the International Calling Security features to allow only calls to Panama by using the whitelist for the country for the VOIPo Adapter those numbers don't work so their service is broken....period, as it only allows SOME calls to Panama from the adapter which is not what their functionality states.

I did my research and all their website states is that to unblock an international number it is based on the country code. The VOIPo site says Panama calls to country code 507 are allowed. Obviously that isn't completely true because it also checks the prefix to see if it is a mobile number. they need to clarify that fact. This is so unfortunate because their service looked so promising only to be such a HUGE let down.

Consider me taken for $36 (paid $185 and was refunded $149) for the service used for the time it took me to realize this and get the service turned off (getting the number ported back, etc). No way to get in under the 30-day money back guarantee and had to pay the shipping to return the ATA.

member for 5.5 years, 14 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "It works sometimes"
Bad "everything else"

It would be nice to see a comprehensive and thoughtful response from VoIPo on this, but so far they have not been any help.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT choose VoIPo as a reseller provider or to use any service you want supported for the following reasons:

• It doesn't work: since January we have repeatedly had issues with our service going completely down almost reliably.

o The situation has deteriorated starting in January and has only gotten worse

• They will not support the product because there is no phone support for these issues you must submit a ticket - to which they respond with the following explanations:

o It's an upstream issue we corrected (that doesn't absolve you of supporting your customers)

o It was a database corruption issue (someone isn't handling the software side well)

o There's no issue at all try it now (it magically fixed itself and nobody is buying that)

• Haphazard communication on porting: they offer no level of support on when and if a port happens..it just happens. This does not work well for a business or anybody that wants to have some level of certainty on when their port will happen. This is possible with carriers such as Level3 and others that offer e-bonded port triggering.

They do not respond with a good resolution, and the problems continue on with no regard or sympathy for the customer. We occasionally got some accidental honest responses that equated to them having database corruption issues. I would certainly never try to rely on them for “always on” service. If you want a VoIP service that mostly works -- go for it. But, I wouldn’t count on you agreeing with their tagline for very long “the likeable phone company.” I have not received any refunds for down-time nor ever been offered any. It has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with a company that sales a service they aren’t even willing to fully support. As a customer we paid over $3,000 a month for an account with VoIPo.

Fyi - I have email responses admitting to the issues directly. The moment I started posting reviews the only claim is that it doesn't work well with our service.

(review was emailed from domain team.nxlink.com)

Comments:

OP

@mchsi.com

Customer Service Practice

Also, as a matter of customer service practice. They would rather delete your reviews and complaints then respond honestly.

If you go to the forum on VoIPo you will see a locked post. Also, a Facebook post was immediately deleted.

$3000/mo

You probably want to correct the price to improve your credibility. Also, I left several critical posts of them, and they handled it quite professionally. Do you mind posting some links to the posts that they locked or otherwise mishandled?
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPo Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and I've personally been in correspondence with this user both before and after this review was posted.

This user has reported many issues, but we haven't been able to track them to being on our side. Based on what I've seen so far, it looks like the user has had chronic issues, but they appear to be isolated. When these reported outages occurred, we had thousands of calls in progress on our network.

I believe that the user in question would be better suited by an enterprise provider that is priced accordingly and can provide him with SLAs and 24/7 support so that he gets the service level he's looking for. We've made this recommendation to him multiple times before.

I'm always more than happy to personally step in and try to help users when they've had a bad experience within our company as long as the customer can communicate in a progressional manner. We interact with all of our customers with respect and professionalism and expect the same in return.

We did have to lock some posts because the user was posting the same message over and over on forums, Facebook, etc even after discussing his issue with me. His posts were consolidated into one thread at »forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/···o-Issues instead of being in multiple places over and over and over. Originally they were posted in nearly every subforum on our forums and all over Facebook. You can see a few duplicates from the forum post merging there already.

I'm going to reach out to the customer again on Monday to attempt to communicate and discuss. I ultimately think this user would be better suited with an enterprise grade service though so that he can get the level of support, SLAs, and personalized service that he is looking for.

rukus

@qwest.net

Re: Response from VOIPo Owner

Timothy Dick
Then explain why your company refuses after 2 years of excuses to go into advanced settings and extend the "no key entry timeout" from the default of 3 seconds to at least 10 seconds AND hangs up on me when I demand it. When attempting to dial from a web page and having to look back and forth at an unknown number, it can not be done within 3 seconds. This is he grandmaster ht502

Review by danadams10 See Profile

• Location: Palm Springs,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, US based tech support"
Bad "Poor quality, undependable service"
Overall "Nice people, but disappointing service"

Tired of paying the escalating prices for Vonage service, three years ago I began searching other options. I live in Mexico six months of the year and needed reliable VoIP service that I could take with me from the US to Mexico. After some research, I decided to go with Voipo. Their monthly charges were significantly less than Vonage, their customer service is in the US, and when I called them to inquire about their service in Mexico, the rep told me that if Vonage worked there, so would their service.

I am now switching back to Vonage. From the outset, Voipo was plagued with service outages (in both the US and Mexico), and unless you have an extremely high speed Internet connection, call quality can be choppy and broken. Their service reps were all outstanding to work with, and they spent hours over the past few years tweaking the settings on their end to improve quality. It would be OK for a while, then the problems would return. Annoying, but I still liked their service. (As reference, my download speed is 5mb, upload is .6mb, and ping runs between 40 and 60).

That all changed about two months ago. While I had a good connection, I received a recording that I could not make an international call (to New Zealand). I called Voipo support, and they said that they were cutting off international service to their customers who lived in some foreign countries including Mexico. They said there was too much fraud and it was hard to track outside the US. Since I don't call much internationally, I decided to accept it.

Now, however, the Voipo service has stopped altogether. I contacted Voipo support and the rep said that effective immediately, Voipo will no longer provide service outside the US and that service to existing customers in some countries outside the US was being turned off. No warning, no alternative, no exceptions made even if you have been a loyal paying customer.

I have now started the process of switching back to Vonage (which now has calling plans in roughly the same price range as Voipo). If you don't plan on traveling outside the US, Voipo is probably OK to go with if you have VERY fast Internet (though if your phone service goes down with them at night or on weekends, you're out of luck getting it restored until the next business day. Their offices and support have very limited hours).

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPo

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw this post.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with our service and that you were impacted by our international blocks. Unfortunately our service is not intended to be used outside of the US except for occasional travel. That's why we require a US billing address and only ship to the US. Officially, our service is only available to US customers. We generally do allow US customers to use our service in other countries (such as when they are traveling), but certain areas/ISPs/IP address blocks just have so much fraud coming from them that we block those areas. I'm very sorry that you were impacted by this, but unfortunately fraud is a very big problem for VoIP providers and a few people can ruin things for many good customers.

Thank you for your past business and we wish you well with your new provider.

Review by michaelc

• Location: Jacksonville,Duval,FL
Bad "Call quality, line noise, loist calls, breaking up."
Overall "VOIP is not for anyone who makes important phone calls."

Poor, intermittent quality. Too
many conversations cut off or too low to hear.
Too many echos and noises. Not worth the time or money.

Michael C.

(review was emailed from domain 33rules.com)

Comments:
VOIPoTim

VOIPo Owner

Hi Michael,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw this review.

I'm very sorry to hear that you had issues with our service. If you're interested, please contact me at tim @ voipo.com (or PM me on this site) and provide your VOIPo phone number. I'd be happy to have a support supervisor review your account and support history to make sure that we've tried everything to correct your issues.

There are many variables that go into how well VoIP wells for someone (ISP, home network setup, etc), so I can't make any promises since it could be a case where our service just isn't a good fit for your particular setup, but I can at least have a supervisor work with you to be 100% sure we tried everything on our end to see if we can resolve your issues (we have a lot of things we can tweak for different situations).

Again if you'd like me to arrange this, feel free to e-mail me at tim @voipo.com with your VOIPo phone number and I'll be happy to set it up for you.

Thanks for your business and again sorry to hear that you've had issues. I hope you'll give us the chance to resolve them.

Review by onthecake See Profile

• Location: Kansas City,Clay,MO
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Unreliable, support is not helpful"
Overall "Beware if you are running this behind a firewall"

I signed up for VOIPo after Vonage, in their infinite wisdom decided to raise their rates on the 500/minute a month plan.

I was somewhat hesitant at first until I read the reviews about the company and all the features it offered in comparison to Vonage.

After ordering I requested my number be ported. I received my adapter about 6 days later. I installed it but soon realized that it was not going to very useful until my number was ported. I could assign a temporary number but none were available in my area code. Therefore I decided to just leave it offline until after my number had been ported.

After about a week I opened a ticked to inquire about he port status. I was told that they never received the fax to port the number so I faxed the request again. Another two weeks went by and my number was still not ported. I opened another ticket and was told it would be another 2 weeks (5 weeks total to port from original request).

I was somewhat upset that I had been paying for a service but not using it due to the length of time it took to port the number. Customer service decided to extend my renew date by about a month to compensate for the time taken to port the number.

My number was ported and I was receiving calls but the voice mail feature was not fully functional. After another ticket the issue was resolved and all is running well now.

To sum up my experience:

VOIPo has excellent customer service. Most of my requests/tickets were responded to within hours. The responses were not the same canned messages you get from other companies. They actually fixed the issues or told me what was going on.

I cannot stress enough how good their customer service is.

Their call quality is excellent and the feature set is much more robust than vonage. I love being able to setup call routes to block annoying robot callers I receive every so often.

My one mark against them is the account setup and porting needs to be a lot smoother for this company to grow. I believe with time they will iron this out and regardless of those issues the change was still worth it.

Update 11-11-12

I have terminated my service with VOIPO. Unfortunately the service is to unreliable behind a firewall and resulted in multiple issues of no dial tone, no sound on the caller end of the phone, and other random issues. Tech support has become unhelpful and responds with the same canned answers each time.

member for 11 years, 506 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Firewalls

For what it’s worth, I’ve been using my VoIP softphone and ATA behind a firewall for about a year now with VOIPo with little to no issues. While VOIPo’s official literature makes excessive requests with regard to one’s firewall, I’ve found their service to be quite reliable/“plug and play” when used with a standard firewall that does not modify SIP packets.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

Firewall

I've had VOIPo service for a few years (and have renewed through 2014). Mine adapter sits behind a Tomato-based firewall and is flawless. Never get one-way audio, always have a dial tone.

I also have viop.ms service and it also is flawless behind a firewall.

SIP ALG needs to be disabled!

Sounds like a configuration issue, and if an issue exists using VOIPo, it will probably exist with any VoIP provider.

Review by rfs0123 See Profile

• Location: Attleboro,Bristol,MA
Good "Cheap, but at a cost; features"
Bad "Voice quality, reliability"
Overall "Not worth the aggravation"

We changed from Comcast Voice a little over a year ago to VOIPO, which offered similar services with more features and at a lower cost. We've had various issues from the beginning, including dropped calls, calls that would ring then one or the other party could not hear the other when connected. Most recently we lost the ability to check voice mails from the VOIPO number, although you could check them on line or via email, or by calling from an outside number. Yesterday after having many different issues, including the ability to make or receive calls, I rebooted everything, including the modem, ATA and wireless router. All seemed to be working again until today, when it started all over. I contacted support, was asked a few questions (position of ATA in Que, whether the adapter was connected to a single phone or house phone wiring and whether the adapter was plugged directly into the wall. Response was 1st after modem, yes, connected to house phone wiring and no, connected to a UPS. This was the response from their support staff:

"From: Erik H (support@voipo.com) 03:21PM 10/22/2012
Hello,

We do not support the use of in house phone wiring. The equipment we provide is not designed to be used with in house phone wiring. Using it can damage the adapter. Please connect your phones in directly to the adapter and let us know if any issues continue.

Thanks,
Erik H"

I haven't had a single phoned house since the 1960's and even then I had an extension or three. If this is this true, what value can they possibly be to anyone, unless living in a single bedroom apartment?

I'm obviously at the end of my rope and more importantly, my wife's rope, which will shortly be around my neck for making this change.

Comments:

GeekJedi
RF is Good For You
join:2001-06-21
Mukwonago, WI

Inside wiring

To be fair, they don't support house wiring because it can add a lot of hassle to troubleshooting. In the past they've had me plug my phone directly in to troubleshoot, then when the issue is resolved I connect my home wiring back up. Also, if your in-house wiring is still connected to the phone company, it absolutely can damage the ATA.

Even the phone company won't support inside wiring unless you pay extra!
The goal of the broadcast engineer is to get all the meters on the transmitter to go as far to the right as possible!!

1 recommendation

Reply from VOIPo Owner

Hello rfs0123,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw your review here.

Unfortunately we don't officially support house wiring because all houses are wired differently and without actually seeing it, we don't know how it's all wired, etc. If there is any other stuff running through the same wiring or connected in any way (even if not being used by you...the regular phone company could still be running through it unless physically disconnected outside), then that other current could damage the device or shorten its life. Without seeing what's what, we can't officially support house wiring.

The other reason we don't officially support house wiring officially is that the adapters only put out a limited amount of power and sometimes that's not enough to power a house that has a ton of jacks or devices wired up and that can cause sporadic problems. I can't tell you how many times we have people that are experiencing a ton of issues and then their issues go away when they (at our request) connect the phone directly to the device. This is a big variable since all houses are wired differently.

This doesn't necessarily mean that you can't use house wiring...many advanced users do if they're 100% sure their wiring has nothing else going through it and it's a reasonable amount for the small device to handle.

What it does mean though is that we can't officially support it or help you with it while connected to house wiring. We're more than happy to help if you connect a phone directly to the device even if it's temporarily. We just can't provide support with the phone connected to wiring that we know nothing about and have no control over since that's known to cause issues.

In a nutshell, our support policy is that we can only provide support when the device is connected in a direct way since that rules out the wiring as causing any issues.

I know it might be frustrating for you that we can't support your house wiring, but I hope that the above reasons at least help you understand somewhat why we have that policy.

Feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com if you have any further questions. Thank you for your business!

rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Reply from VOIPo Owner

Just as an update, I removed the house wiring from the equation and connected my base station directly to the Grandstream ATA, then did a total reboot of the modem, ATA & router, in that order. In limited testing, I still had dial outs to silence and drop calls when we actually did make it through. VOIPO support did get back to me with a download link to check my connect/setup, which I'll try tonight to see whether our problem is external.

Home wiring... 20th century

This is not a comment on VOIPo; but most cordless phones nowadays are sold with a base and many handsets. I haven't used home wiring since 2003... It probably wouldn't work if I tried landline today
rfs0123

join:2012-10-22
Attleboro, MA

Re: Home wiring... 20th century

I removed the exterior connection to Verizon years ago. My house wiring basically less than 100 ft of telephone copper wire installed from the basement to the 1st floor, where I have one wireless base with four wireless phones. The only other phone on the system is an older style 'wired' phone in the event the power goes down. My modem, ATA & router are on a UPS, which can give me around 30 minutes of use, bust mostly to protect the system from power variations and flicker outages.