VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Reliability"
Bad "VOIPo ATA does not support home wiring. BYOD must 1st use VOIPo ATA. No outgoing CNAM. "
Overall "YMMV"

Update 11/16/2014: After waiting more than 2 years, VOIPo still does not have outgoing CNAM for my area. I opened a PhonePower account a couple of months ago and PP DOES HAVE OUTGOING CNAM and I only pay $60/yr with the Obihai plan. Also PhonePower gives free 60 mins/mo to almost all all S. Korea phone numbers while VOIPo only provides free 60 mins to land-line phone numbers and charges 9 Cents/min for Korean mobile numbers- -among the highest in the VOIP industry. Accordingly I have downgraded the Value for money rating.

_____________________________________________________

Update 7/12/2014: Service still remains stable but there was an ~8 min disruption since my last update. Having another account with PhonePower for 3 months now and being familiar with their web-site, I am going to raise the VOIPo web-site rating from 50 to 75 as I find it superior to PP's but think it's a bit busy.

_____________________________________________________

Update 06/02/2014: Service still remains stable. I'll probably be recommending to our local American Legion Post to switch their business POTS line ($100/month) to VOIPo. The money saved will pay for the internet service and a bonus of WIFI to increase business.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
·Cox HSI

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I am glad you addressed some of the problems. I've kicked around the idea of VoIPo and decided against it based on a couple of things. [1] The owner's unhelpful reply to you, [2] my own unhappy experience with the failure of the Vonage telephony device after 9 months, and [3] the low uplink provided by both my cable and my ISP. This is phone duopoly sharing the same plant and the same fiber to the same communities..

The truth is the 1Mbps uplink really does not buy much in voice quality in Rural America-- regardless what the device is called, ow how it worlds. In my case I have a choice of 4/1 VoIP over cable, or the 10/1 ADSL phone over copper the company incorrectly calls POTS.

In either case when I can make a call that is clear and error free, it is wonderful. But when I can't it is worse than horrible. There is a warning here, too. LifeLine does not work over all house phones and neither does e911..

It is silly that I must buy a cell phone to place a call when the VoIP and ADSL POTS phones fail. FCC licenses US phone companies; they should work with no excuse except storm damage.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by snic See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Westchester,NY
Good "Used to work great; has some great features but they are pointless if the basic service doesn't work"
Bad "Have had some problems with call completion lately. Service is almost non-functional"
Overall "Probably worth the money"

I've had VOIPO for about 20 months now. For the first 19 months, I was an extremely happy camper. The Grandstream device arrived quickly and there were no major problems with connecting it and porting my old number over - I recall some issue that developed during set-up that was fixed within a day or two by responsive customer service. Over the ensuing months, occasionally there would be a problem with a call not completing or some issue with the person at the other end of the line not hearing me. And once in a while (less than once a month) there's no dial tone, which is immediately fixed by rebooting the Grandstream. These problems were few and far between, and the low cost and great list of features more than made up for them. I particularly like being able to blacklist an unlimited number of spam numbers by routing them to the "this number has been disconnected" message. Recently they added nomorobo support, which is great. Also, the 60 minutes of free international calling is an excellent feature as well (but beware - some numbers are not included - especially cell phone numbers in certain countries. Be sure to check before calling!)

Recently, however, I had a big problem with calls to certain (domestic) numbers not being completed. I contacted VOIPO customer service by e-mail (the only option on weekends or outside of West Coast business hours) and they typically replied within a few hours. They blamed the problem on the carrier they were routing the call through and changed the carrier. That didn't work the first time they tried it but now it seems fine. Then I had a problem with not being able to hear the other party when I called certain numbers, but that is now fixed as well (for now). I'm not sure why there has been such a proliferation of problems lately, but they have been very aggravating. VOIPO says they can't force other carriers to connect their calls, but then why did my cable company's VOIP service never, ever have this problem? And despite multiple e-mails about these problems, I have never once been offered anything to compensate me for the fact that I have paid for something that then was not delivered. The monetary compensation isn't really the issue, as the monthly cost is so low that a few days of lost service amounts to pennies. It's more that I'm annoyed at the absence of even a token of understanding that they did not provide the advertised service, and that maybe they should not simply take my business for granted.

In all, it might be a case of "you get what you pay for". VOIPO is currently among the lowest, if not the lowest-cost VOIP provider. I'd be absolutely thrilled if the last month had been like the first 19 months. I'll see how the service goes over the next few months, and if the recent problems don't recur, I'll probably renew for another 2 years. But I'm not willing to put up with constantly contacting customer service because calls won't complete.

UPDATE - just a few hours after posting this reasonably positive review, I tried to make a call to a new number and it would not go through. It worked fine from my cell phone. Customer service will probably fix this in a few hours, but at this point, that hardly matters any more. What is the point of a phone service where you regularly have to contact customer service and wait 6 hours just to place a call to a number you haven't called before? I've changed my review to very negative and will keep it that way until the service works like it's supposed to. And I'm most certainly going to cancel it if it doesn't improve. It's really too bad, as it was very good while it lasted.

UPDATE 11/1/14 - I am going to update this review every single time I have a problem with my Voipo service, until I cancel my service or the problem is fixed to my satisfaction. Today, yet again, I get the dreaded one ring and busy signal when calling a number I can reach with my cell phone.

UPDATE 11/3/14 - After another "carrier route update", the problem still isn't fixed. Dreaded one ring plus busy signal this morning, yet the number is perfectly accessible via cell phone.

UPDATE 11/10/14 - VOIPO asked me to place their device in my router's DMZ, which I did. This morning I called a number and got one ring plus busy signal yet again.

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I have had VOIPo for my main personal line for over 6-8 years, gotta think in two's. And as I have said here many times, there are problems inherent with any VoIP product. But although I have had and am having new installation hiccups with the Family line we just moved, that will save us $600 a year, a few hiccups are worth it. As far as service, I submitted a ticket and first got the same tech that confirmed my somewhat uncommon set up would work and it has. So he was familiar with my set up and is able to deal with it more effectively. The only major problem is that we have too many people working on this, that ticket replies are getting stepped all over. I have put things on hold and am going to let it settle for a couple of days. For a new install, that is usual.

Now a couple of weeks ago they had a provider problem that caused issues for a short time. But that's long since taken care of. So what the cause of your current issues, could be just about anything and might not have anything to do with VOIPo. If VOIPo wasn't solid, I would have never moved the family line over, nor many neighbor and friends home and business lines. It is a "mission" critical line, medical and whatnot. But mostly if it doesn't work, Grandma will have my head. Although VOIPo has a prorated refund policy, without a head, it'll do me no good.

I have been testing newer router gear for the past year and of all the things that can be really messed up, it's a VoIP line. My VOIPo line has been solid all through the mayhem. Except when a setting needs to be changed and I am on the phone and reset it and lose the line. Then that's my problem of not thinking about what I am doing or doing too many things at one time.

Most all issues I have seen with VOIPo seem to mellow out over a short amount of time. And now ones are usually third parties that they have to use to get us the product.

Yes! I am a VOIPo Fanboy, Apple and Tesla too and darn proud of it.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I used to be quite a fan of Voipo, too. But with the recent problems, I can't reach about one out of 3 new numbers I try to dial. I've already given it a "short amount of time" (the original support ticket was created 3 weeks ago), but the problems haven't mellowed out at all. There were a few days where everything seemed back to normal, but in hindsight that is probably just because we weren't calling very much.

Finally, as for the idea that the problems "might not have anything to do with VOIPo," ummm, well, it's their service that isn't working. At one point they blamed the problem on other carriers, saying they can't force them to accept Voipo's calls. I can accept that if it happens once or twice. But for it to happen consistently means that something is fundamentally wrong. And because it means a Voipo customer can't use the Voipo service that he paid for, it most certainly is Voipo's problem.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Even these days the VoIP's have to interact with telco's, other providers and entities and they do not and don't have to play fair. That's how I lost SprintION, 1998-2002, the best Internet and telephone service ever. They decided it was cheaper to go out of business than to fight USWest at the time. And as far as them not being able to force other carriers to take their calls, they can't. No one can. That's a major problem with the FCC and our telco system. So yes to that.

I've had some issues over the past couple of days. They were gone before I could submit a ticket. It seems to go in spurtz when the telcos want to be pissy. I use to work for one and have contacts there and access to info. Have you tried another service? If you haven't, then how do you absolutely know it's VOIPo? When I had the same problems, I got Vonage for a couple of days and no problems, and we found it was a setting that was buried in my ATA that kept resetting itself that caused the problem. But if I hadn't tried another service I'd have never have known and would have never have had the proof. So until you do, I can't see how you know that it is VOIPo. WHICH, it could very well be. But there are a billion variables these days. I've had routers that would just not let any VoIP services work. There's a ton that can go wrong with you use these types of services and until it's be around and as strong as the telco's, there will be problems. And the more you yell, the more I'd yell back. Proof gets results.

I have 9 families in my areas with a minimum of 2 lines each. And due to the nature of the beast, there will are going to be problems. Even Comcast has theirs. (The worst)

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Haha, I'm not yelling. I understand your point that there are many things that can go wrong with VOIP service. Some of them might be out of Voipo's direct control, but the bottom line is that they are charging me for a service that they are not providing. That makes all those problems Voipo's problems: if Voipo is going to sell a service, it is their absolute responsibility to make sure that it works reliably. Yes, it could be that other telcos are being "pissy". Not my problem; Voipo needs to find a way to connect to them because they are charging me money for "phone service," which by any definition means the ability to call whomever I want without having to contact customer service first. It could be that there's something wrong with my ATA. Not my problem; Voipo needs to figure it out and fix it. It could be a million things, all of which it is Voipo's responsibility to fix, and as of today it has been more than three weeks and after multiple interactions with their tech support, the problem STILL is not fixed.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

The yelling part was a "metaphor" and also a call out that it's a two-way street. You know for a fact that there is nothing on your end that could be "contributing" to this? To prove this, I got a second provider on a trial basis where their gear worked a bit differently and I found the problem. Come to find out there was a router setting that was getting in the way. Once set right, all was good.

Yeh, try your train of thought with a telco and see what they say. Yes, it is a responsibility of a provider to "provide". It's in the word. And the rules that govern this "provision" are all over the place favoring the big guys. We all know that VoIP is a fledgling industry and the telcos do not want them around. So they are going to make it difficult to do business. Even to the point that I know that the telcos have threatened third party carriers that the VoIP's need to be able to provide to you. And here it comes, BUT when going into this we all know that it's not going to be a smooth ride. That's a given with VoIP. And with that there are going to be problems.

Some friends of mine wanted VoIP, to get away from their telco, and went to Comcast. WOW! BIG mistake. Their phone barely works anymore and Comcast really doesn't care and under the rules that Comcast has to play by, they don't have to care and my friends are stuck in a contract that they have to prove that there is a problem before they can get out. And they can't because it's all on Comcast's end and the big C won't help. As soon as they can move they are coming over to VOIPo.

If VOIPo is not working for you, there's a ton of other providers out there and VOIPo has a prorated refund policy. Go take a look, maybe you'll find a provider that is exactly what you want. Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished. I know, I have been in your place a couple of times and will be again in the future. BUT I know that they will go to the ends of the Earth to work with me to fix whatever it is that goes wrong. That is within our power though. Just the other day I had to shut down a ticket because there were too many people getting involved on it. And the problem went away on it own.

Go take a look, you might be surprised to find VOIPo is just what you want. No VoIP company's perfect. No telco is perfect. But they have been at it longer, have the rules skewed in their favor and have a proven technology that VoIP is just getting together. While dodging shots across the bow.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Sure it will. It will let prospective Voipo customers know what kind of experience I've been having, which will help them to make an informed decision. Isn't that the whole point of online reviews?

said by snic:

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Concur.

Littleton, CO
When you find the perfect VoIP provider let us know, so we all can move to it.

Review by ivansjunk1 See Profile

• Location: North Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "cheap, at least for a while"
Bad "bad service, bad equipment, bad customer service and mediocre service"
Overall "not worth it! Look elsewhere."

I've had voip phone service for the past 10+ years. Nothing is perfect but this one takes the cake. Paid $149 for 2 years and put up with the mediocre service because it was cheap and was using as secondary house line. Before the 2 years were up, noticed a charge on my CC for $199. Researched and found it to be an UNREQUESTED renewal for a year. Tried calling several times but they are in Cali and Iam in NY so it was hard to get anyone to talk to for awhile. In the mean time, the service stopped working.. After many calls, emails and reading on troubleshooting, it looks like the adapter (piece of crap) finally gave up. They say they can replace, for $50. the thing is 2+ years old, worth $10 new on eBay but they want $50!!! I call to cancel and request refund but they say that the refund will offset the price of their old equipment. AVOID THIS COMPANY!! Crappy service, Crappy equipment, Crappy customer service and only care about taking your money!!

Comments:

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

VOIPo is great...

For what it is. Cheap phone service.

I've had them for many years. A few issues here and there, but customer service has been fantastic and has resolved every issue. They are responsive and competent.

My primary service is with another provider who offers far more features, but they also are not as cheap. I keep VOIPo as a backup and primarily use them when I know an outbound call is going to last for more than 10 minutes (unlimited outbound).

I highly recommend buying a voip phone, and not an ATA. The Panasonic KX-TGP550 (or 551) is awesome.

Unhappy

@50.121.98.x

Re: VOIPo is great...

I just experienced the same thing as ivansjunk1. Won't be using this company nor referring others to it in the future. I have no way of getting to my equipment to obtain it let alone get it back to them and they said my account will not be cancelled until I do and they are charging me the $49.50 fee. BEWARE!!! All nice until you go to drop the service. My advice to anyone that has signed up discontinue the charge card you originally signed up under otherwise they will automatically bill you for the next year and for the equipment.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

2 recommendations

Re: VOIPo is great...

Did they provide you a pre-configured ATA *for free* when signing up? If so, then don't you think cancelling the service warrants them to want it back to give to a new subscriber? I already gave them back their ATA as I ended up buying my own.

Also, if you have phone service and don't renew, your phone service, *and number*, will be cancelled. Personally, I wouldn't be pleased if my primary phone number was lost because I forgot to renew phone service.

·VOIPO
To the OP: Thanks for the "heads up". I'll be sure to port my number about 30 days B4 my contract expires. $199/yr for my light usage (under 300 mins/month) is excessive and far more than what I am paying now ($185/2 yrs).

And regarding the VOIPo ATA, I'll mail it back at least 3 months B4 contact end as I am BYOD and I never liked their GS502 but need it if I loose my BYOD registration password.

VOIPO

Hello,

Sorry to hear your weren't happy with your service.

Since our service is subscription based, it's automatically renewed until cancelled.

In terms of equipment, we provide the adapter for free for using during your subscription, but it must be returned to us if you cancel service.

We try to be as fair and reasonable as possible. If you don't feel like something was handled fairly or in accordance with our policies, please contact me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you for your past business and good luck with your new provider.

·ViaTalk

Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

I have been with VOIPo since their early days and have moved many people over to them. Every so often there are issues that are inherent to anything that is Internet based. The price you can't beat. The features, as few as they may be, they have are great and allow you to do all kinds of incredible things. The previous company (ViaTalk) I was with had some great toys, but horrible phone service. VOIPo, in time I hope will have more toys, but up front has great phone service.

Tech Support has been the best I have ever encountered. I have an issue or any of the many people that I have brought over, submit a ticket online and within 10-15 minutes I have contact, if not the answer to the problem. Then a couple days later I get and eMail asking if I am OK. WOW! Sometimes I think I'm having problems and all of a sudden it's gone, making me wonder if there was one at all. Later I read somewhere that there was an issue and it was found and dealt with immediately without me having to do anything. They are on the ball all the time. Their up time has been great. Other companies I have dealt with didn't even know what the term meant.

AND if I have had an issue, that a few were on my end, they started looking on their end first. Then if it were traced to me, we dealt with it. But they start on their end. The first time this happened to me I wasn't sure how to handle myself. Everywhere else, it's all your fault, it's your hardware, it's the way you were standing, ballet poses, that made the problem and you need to fix it. Even though they know the issue is on their end (ISPs).

With VOIPo, you can't go wrong. If there are reasons that you think that you need to go elsewhere, then it is your problem not theirs.

Oh, P.S., VOIPoTim, the CEO has some insane amount of posts online helping anyone that needs it, just like he posted here. At one time I swear I saw a number under his avatar somewhere and it was like over a billion posts to his credit. Now that's customer service.
Newport Beach, CA

Re: Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

Thank you! I really appreciate you (and everyone else too of course) posting. It's always nice to see positive feedback. We really do try to provide the best service we can at the budget pricepoint and work very hard to do it so it's always nice to get feedback that our effort is paying off.

Thank you for your business!

Review by CP43 See Profile

• Location: Port Saint Lucie,Saint Lucie,FL
Good "Nothing. Never worked."
Bad "Did not ever work after 5 attempts by Tech Support to Resolve"
Overall "The are using cheapest Carriers for land connection service so don't expect it to work consistently "

I ordered Business Service. And ordered an extra Cloud Based Number which should have worked right away but never did.
Once number was assigned I forwarded it to my Verizon cell phone and tried to call.
Attempt 1: Busy signal
Attempt 2: 1 ring then Busy signal
Attempt 3 - 14 more of the same except on 2 occasions the cell phone rang 2 times then the connection dropped and I got a busy signal on my home phone that I was calling from.

*** Read the MANY truthful reviews regarding how BAD the service inconsistency is AND you will be able to discern the TRUTH.

Tech Support ticket. Told that they would do a "Route Treatment" give 5 min and try again. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #2: Technician said they had tested on most of the 15 available Carrier Routes but there was a few left and try this one. More of the same.
Tech Support ticket #3: Was told they would Re-provision the line, meaning disconnect and re install the number. More of the same...
Tech Support ticket #4 & 5 no better and service never worked to complete so much as 1 phone call.
I think the facts tell the story. They are clearly using Route Carriers (meaning land line phone companies for switching and routing) that are bottom of the barrel with terrible inconsistency because of old failing equipment.
If you want lots of headaches at some point they will be a good choice.

Comments:
Pufferty

join:2014-07-07

Contact the Owner

Timothy Dick, known around here as VoIPoTim, is very involved and I'm sure would be happy to talk with you.
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with our service.

If you'd like me to review it for you, I'm happy to look at your tickets to see if we could have handled anything differently or if it's just a case where we didn't have a good route to the particular destination you were trying to forward to.

Feel free to reach out to me at tim @ voipo.com if you'd like me to help.

Review by protosd See Profile

• Location: Southern Pines,Moore,NC

The call quality has always been bad. When I called them they were very nice and told me it was my isp. So I switched from DSL to cable with no change. They refused to replace my box. I decided to tough it out the 2 years but after 11 months it has started to drop the area code so if I dial a different area code I get a local number instead. Not all the time but often enough to be annoying. That and the very bad call quality is the end of voipo for me.

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPO Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and just saw this. Sorry to hear that you've had issues.

If you'd like I'd be happy to have a supervisor take a look at this to see if you do have a bad adapter and get it swapped out for you if that's the case.

Would you like me to look into this for you or have you already cancelled service? We'd love to try to solve it and keep your business if it's a fixable issue.

Just e-mail your VOIPo number to me directly to tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Sorry again for the trouble and thank you for your business!

DocGrimwig

join:2013-12-19
Grand Rapids, MI

Response to Protosd

Don't give up, protosd!

My company uses VoiPo as our host provider to my VOIP customers.
We have been testing VopiPo for nearly a year now, and I can say (with a few minor exceptions) that what you are experiencing is only going to get better by the day, regardless of which VOIP Provider you go with. Placing all of the issues that are being experienced on to VoiPo, is more times than not, misplaced--more likely misunderstood. VOIP is a new relatively new industry. We are just now (in the US) beginning to truly embrace the thought of upgrading to a digital telephone world. VoiPo is one of the VOIP providers with a great track record with their last company (Host Gator) that recently sold for more money than you and I have jingling in our pockets to be sure. They got that opportunity because of their commitment to the customer. No, I am not a shill for VoiPo, I promise. I do not know Mr. Dick or his team with the exception of his engineers through whom I have had the pleasure of speaking with as my company tests their products. They are truly my competitor--But that's how much respect I have for them.
Yes, I have had issues myself, but for the most part they were fixed in a matter of minutes, and most of the time the fault lay with our implementation of the technology; the ISP; and even more times with the telephone equipment and wiring.
All of us who are braving this exciting new tech all need to understand that we are getting 400 horsepower (digital service) of service out of a 200 horsepower engine (analog service). What I mean is that, we are trying to shove a far superior technology through equipment and wires meant for lo-tech. You want a GREAT experience with little chance of failure? Try purchasing a VOIP telephone and use that instead of an adapter and old tele equipment and see what VOIP truly has to offer. You will very pleased.
We, as VOIP telecom companies are trying to bridge a technology gap until the marketplace catches up with our technology advances. So if you are using the VOIP service with analog adapters and telephone equipment, you should expect to receive a good experience if you have all of your equipment and wiring up to standards. After that, it's up to the ISP (who is delivering your packets of voice information to the person you are calling), to be able to handle the static noise etc. that most likely is emanating from our non-digital equipment. The key is that analog service can handle a loose connection, lots of static etc that is common with analog configurations and equipment. Digital is very intolerant of it. It's because of the way information is transmitted.

Bottom line, Hang in their with VoiPo and VOIP in general Protosd! AT&T just announced that they will be out of the analog business ENTIRELY by 2020. They have recognized the superiority of VOIP and are abandoning copper wiring altogether and coming over to our side finally. So you want to have a discussion about talk about bad service? You can expect a consistent downgrade of service and experience as the #1 player in analog business goes out of the analog business! Happy Holidays Proto, VoiPo and all others on this forum!
Doc

Review by dsl1234 See Profile

• Location: Golden,Jefferson,CO
Good "Excellent service first 30-90 days. If you hit the jackpot and find the service reliable, the price is great."
Bad "15 minute call drops on every softphone/BYOD call; frequent 1-way audio; ineffective tech support"
Overall "Service quality declines the longer you use them - best to avoid VOIPO"

Ordered the 2 year package which would cost $8/mo paid in advance if you stay with them the full 24 months. They provided a new Grandstream ATA. But service quality gradually declined, particularly with frequent one-way audio. We have tried everything they suggested. We even purchased our own Obi100 instead of their Grandstream. Either device still gets unreliable service with VOIPO. The frequent one-way audio and precise 15 minute disconnects on every call placed through a softphone or BYOD such as an Obi100 were major annoyances. They disconnected all of our Obi100 calls after 15 minutes to the second. They also want you to forward a huge range of router ports in an effort to get their service to work. But it did not help at all in our case.

Pro: Cancellations after 30 days are prorated which is a better cancellation deal than some others if you cancel. But watch out for auto renewal if you don't want to renew! And port your number out first before you cancel if you want to keep your number.

Pro: They provide a telephone adapter device that is preconfigured for use with Voipo. This means potentially easier setup of their service than some services where you provide the device and configure it yourself.

CON: If their phone adapter breaks, your service is down until they can ship you a replacement. You cannot go to the computer store and buy an adapter as a replacement because if the VOIPO adapter is broken and is therefore not registered to their network, you cannot add a BYOD adapter or a softphone. You also may not be able to get them to cross-ship a replacement so your downtime without phone service could be significant.

Our test of VOIPO vs voip.ms:

We even signed up with another provider called voip.ms and put them on port 2 of our Obi100 while voipo was on port 1. The voip.ms service on port 2 has worked for about a year with no need for tech support and no 15 minute disconnects!

Our Obi100 was configured using preset profiles provided by both VOIPO and voip.ms at Obitalk.com. So our device is in effect configured by each provider for their own port. Our conclusion after a year of comparison is that the voipo.com service is not usable and we have decided to port our number out to another provider several months before our VOIPO contract runs out.

Voipo also claims to support softphones BYOD, but when you try to connect your own device, you may run into this message:

"Unfortunately we have not verified that your device is currently provisioned and registered to VOIPo's network, please ensure your device is currently connected and registered in order to retrieve your softphone SIP credentials!"

which means you have to always have a Voipo-provided device connected or at least at the ready to resolve any issues with your BYOD. If you use a softphone and you are away from home and encounter a BYOD/softphone issue, your service could be disrupted until you can get home and get the official Voipo device reconnected and re-registered. It can be an annoying nightmare trying to use this service if you have to troubleshoot anything.

Tech support consists of boilerplate emails telling you to restart the Grandstream and router and to port forward a huge range of ports. If that doesn't work and your Grandstream or BYOD phone adapter is behind your firewall (like it should be for security), you will get a notice that they don't support even their own Grandstreams if attached behind a firewall.

Given all the gotchas with Voipo, don't be surprised if problems arise with your service. But if you luck out and do not have problems, rejoice and enjoy the low price.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 358 days ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I had the same problems when I first got service with them. I did with several others too. The others couldn't figure it out so I moved on to and have been with VOIPO for many years. And this was since their beginning. As far as their Tech Support they bent over backwards never once blaming me or pointing fingers as everyone seems to do these days. And still to this day immediately jump on any issue I have. Trouble Tickets are answered within 15 minutes. The techs are the same U.S. based group that have been there for a long time and are quite friendly, proficient and expedient at what they do. Come to find out, the problems that were happening were caused by the ISP I had at the time. Who's your ISP, that makes a big difference in how anybodies VoIP service runs. Also, if your ISP has their own VoIP product, they might very well be "favoring" their service over yours and that's where it gets problematic. I have 7 neighbors on their service and only one is having problems and they are still on the Telco DSL that the rest of us left and went to more solid cable where these issues are gone. Now as with any VoIP service there are going to be hiccups now and then. But I have seen very few lately and if they are anything I need to have TS on, they are dealt with in short order.

Although VOIPO chose to concentrate on phone services, unlike ViaTalk my previous provider, I have also found that for the price they have the most and best added on features of any service. With them I have been able to tailor my lifestyle where I am not annoyed with the trappings that you usually get with a POTS or other services.

As far as accusations about the way their actions are tailored to create revenue, I'd get some facts before making statements like that. It's all conjecture on your part and does not add to the review. Plus their TOS are not all that different than the rest.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO

Re: That's not exactly what I have found . . .

I really don't think the ISP is relevant since another provider on port 2 of the same Obi100 telephone adapter device VOIPO is on works fine - (obviously with the same ISP for both ports.) It's the same phone adapter, the same router, the same ISP but VOIPO does not work and voip.ms does work. Go figure. But if you have good results with VOIPO, stay there - they have a great price.

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Cheap. Note, not inexpensive. Cheap."
Bad "Giving up on this service. I've had enough of the problems."
Overall "Don't waste your time with this company."

11/6 - And canceled! I've had Ooma for almost a month. So far, no 1-way audio issues. No dropped calls. No call quality issues. Multi-ring just works (tm) and so far, aside from the slightly higher costs, I'm not missing VoIPO. Hopefully, they can turn things around.

10/13 - I've had enough. Switching as soon as I can.

5/12 - Dropped my rankings on call quality, reliability, tech support and value for money considerably.

On regular occasion, I call my parents. 99.9% of the time, there's a problem. Here lately, I call them, they can hear me, I can't hear them. They call me and get a busy signal. We're both customers of VoIPO.

I will email tech support. They'll fidget with our accounts. For a day or three after that, everything works fine. Then, suddenly, I can't make any out bound calls. So, they'll fidget some more. Then I can make out bound calls but I can't call my parents.

My patience is running very thin with this company at this point.

------

12/11 - Service is okay for the most part. There are some weird issues. Such as if my parent's call me. I can hear them. They can't hear me. Router settings from the last time this happened haven't changed. Sometimes I dial a number and nothing happens - even if I have dial tone. For the price, I tolerate it.

-------

1/11 - After a year of no issues, my parents decided to switch. We both scored a 2 year deal for $180 (taxes inclu.). Install for the parents went smoothly. However, we weren't able to place calls to each other. If I called them, they could hear me. But I could not hear them and vice versa. Opened a ticket with VOIPo and it was resolved in about a week. I had to port forward 5004-65000/udp to the ATA. Doing that resolved all of the issues.

4/10 - No issues or outages so far. I've sent several general question/comments to VOIPo and they were responded to in a very quick fashion. Even general off-the-wall type questions have been answered quickly and professionally.

Ordered on 12/2/09. Got the adapter on 12/5/09. Ordering was easy.

Thought I had a regular phone to hook up to this adapter. Turns out that isn't the case. Threw them all out after getting used to the Uniden cordless adapter for Packet8.

The Linksys Broadband router they sent me is of used condition. And the warranty tag on the bottom of it is broken.

member for 10.3 years, 5044 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Robert Varel

@verizon.net

VoipO

I've had this service for over 5 years. We have had no problems with this service. Excellent reception and voice quality. Never miss a call and I like the fax features.

Re: VoipO

I to have been a customer for quite some time. And the problems are getting worse and worse.

I get people who send me emails or call my cell phone because my home line rings or says the number is no longer in service.

I get tons of one way (and here of late no way) audio issues.

Support sucks. They just go over the same script each time I notify them of a problem. I've put the MTA (now on the second MTA) directly on the cable modem and the issues persist. Connectivity to their network doesn't seem to be an issue based on their diagnostics.

So, enough is enough.

Janet

@14.192.210.x
Yup. I too use the service after reading some review about Voipo at voipbands. So far so good.

·ViaTalk

There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

I ran to them after having many major problems with ViaTalk and several other providers that makes what you are going through pleasurable. What you are going through sounds exactly like what I did in my early days with VoIPO. I think I'm going on 6 years now. Just reupped for another 2 last Spring and am looking to bring the other house line over real soon. And even though they have been around a while, the VoIP biz is still kinda in its fledgling years. As far as VoIPO, their tech support has been the best I have ever encountered and Yes, I had my problems just like yours to the point that a good many Techs know me by my first name. And as you said you eMailed them. I get a response with in 5-20 minutes every time and mostly telling me it's fixed or that they did something, to reboot my ATA and it's fixed. This kind of TS is unheard of and I have never had TS like this anywhere before. And the guys are great, funny and personable. Their CEO VoIPOTim can be seen in many forums with, seriously, about a billion posts from him directly to customers trying to help. Now mind me, I'm not saying they're perfect. None of these services are. They all have their idiosyncrasies. But VoIPO is a lot better, with great features, not as many as some providers I have had - but in time I hope. I think they went for quality over gadgets first. And for the price, you get more bang for the buck than many other providers.

One thing a lot of people don't think about is when you put a service like this on an Internet carrier, VoIPO has to accommodate all their idiosyncrasies to make things work for you. It's not as if all ISP's were identical, only in a perfect world, and they could blanket tune everyone. Still to this day we have issues but nothing that hasn't been take care of in minutes. ALSO a big game changer was when I moved, for this reason specifically, from CenturyLink DSL to Comcast, things got a lot better instantly. And since I have had some erratic problems, but a lot fewer issues now that I have a "better" Internet connection. I have moved over several of my neighbors and see that things do vary as to who they have as their ISP. This is a big kicker with VoIP. It can only be as good as your ISP and personal network.

I would think that if your parents have them there must have been at least some good in this to make you switch over. You are far too new on their service for them to have located your issues and had a chance to address them. Of which is part of getting services like this these days. I have had the same connections issues with one of my neighbors that is still on CL. We use each other as testbeds. He is having the same problems across the board that I did before I moved to cable Internet. So . . . hang in there if you are serious about having VoIP phone service. You'll have to no matter who you have as a provider.

Take Care and Good Luck. It'll all work out.
. . . fb

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Far too new? Really? Going on 5 years is too new? How long, exactly should they take to find my issues?

My parents are on a cable provider and have the same issues as I do. Though, not as severe as I have it with regards to local calls. For the record, they followed me to VoIPO.

I've emailed Tim. Many times. And you're right they do return your emails pretty quickly. But the problems never get fixed. Well, they do. For a week or two. Then they break again. And then the T1 techs say its my network or router settings (which never changed) that must be the problems.

When I was a Vonage and Packet8 subscriber, these kinds of issues were *non*existant*. Shame their prices are so crazy high.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Well then, I guess it's time to cut your losses and move on. If I had all the problems that you still do for this long I would have moved on long ago. As I was looking to do and tried one more thing, moving from telco DSL to Cable and things are 90% better now. My one neighbor that is having the same problems I was is still on the same telco DSL I had. The rest, we have all moved to cable for Internet. I bet the minute he's off it and on a better service things will change. But now that most everyone is offering a type of "phone" over their services, it'd be hard to find an Internet provider that wouldn't favor their service over yours. The same problem I had with SprintION, 1998-2002, when Qwest gave them grief. I lost the best Internet and phone service we'll ever see. I'm moving the rest of my house over to VoIPO at the end of the month. Was just waiting for the family to get settled with the new Hopper before I threw more different stuff at them.

And yes, VoIP service in some respects is very new. Now my ION service, over 10 years ago was perfect so it can be done. These days it just depends on what you get for what you pay for.

Take Care and Good Luck . . .

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

Consider them cut. In the month I've had Ooma there's not been one issue with 1-way audio (my firewall rules are back to most restrictive). No issues of availability. No issues with multi-ring. No issues with audio quality.

Just none.

I do concede, a bit, that the ISP can impact services. However, after having Vonage, Packet8 and now Ooma - none of the services have/had the problems that VoIPO has.

I called Dad tonight on my cell. He could hear me. But I couldn't hear him. 2 nights ago, his number was unavailable from both Ooma and Verizon. I suspect they'll be losing another account before too much longer.

said by FarmerBob:

I completely disagree with this attitude. VoIP is mature enough that any problem can be troubleshooted (troubleshot?) and the root cause identified. The question is "is it worth the effort at this particular price point". For Google Voice you are completely on your own, and business providers offer strong SLAs. Voipo obviously is much closer to free Google Voice and - by comparison - their support is terrific. But at some point they blame router, internet provider, and California weather instead of additional troubleshooting.

Note: I've had 5 lines with Voipo; very happy with 4 and had to cancel 1 (about which Tim was very professional, and I have nothing but good to say about the process). So, it's not to bash Voipo - it's just you need to understand what you are getting. More expensive providers have more robust troubleshooting andproblemsolving tools.
Technical problems are more often than not management incompetence masquerading as technical issues

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here. It's quantitative analysis from my time having VoIP services since the late 90's and having been part of many sides of the industry. VoIP may have it own level of maturity, but it has a way to go and a battle with ISP's that can and will be real children when you use their pipe for third party VoIP and not theirs. Just read the industry trades.

Of all the services out there VoIPO and company for the money are the best. I love my "Founders" account.

said by FarmerBob:

It's not an attitude. Wrong use of wording here.

That's part of the attitude that I am talking about. You disagree with me (which is perfectly fine of course), but for some reason you feel entitled to call my wording wrong. What makes you think that your quantitative analysis is better than mine, or that your read of industry trades is more accurate than mine? You didn't give any reasons, and none come to mind.

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

WHOA! Way off on a major tangent. Your the one that used the word "attitude" which it isn't. It's more of an opinion from exposure, if anything else. And I never said my QA was better than your anything. I was just defending myself and addressing your use of the word "attitude".

It anything is of "attitude" it's your poorly worded defensiveness.

Sorry I ever posted.
dsl1234

join:2013-11-11
·VOIPO
Aren't you saying you don't mind poor service? You don't mind emailing tech support and rebooting your equipment, etc. I live near Littleton too and have voip.ms here and don't have to do this stuff working with tech support, rebooting adapter, rebooting router, etc, etc. Evidently the service you have had elsewhere is so bad, it makes Voipo look good, but you are actually getting only fair to poor service quality based on your own description.

said by dsl1234:

No. Not at all. Just the opposite, I'm getting great service. Why else would I re-up for another 2 years, have brought over several neighbors and am moving all my numbers to their service?

I'm not sure what you are reading?

CuriousGuy
Boom goes the dynamite

join:2002-05-14
Rego Park, NY

Re: There is light at the end of the VoIP pipe.

HELP! After loving VOIPo since 2009, I've hit a wall and nobody seems able to resolve it. I've been told my poor voice quality and echoes are due to latency and packet loss. I called my ISP on the advice of James and they claim their connection is fine and send me back to VOIPo. I replaced my old Linksys router and run ping tests. I am so fed up with people telling me I'm breaking up because I can't hearvocal quality issues on my end. Although I'm signed up through early 2015, I'm afraid I'll have to leave and go with Time Warner my ISP. I am severely disappointed and regret ever going with VOIP. Sure, it's remarkably inexpensive, it's not money well spent. As the famous saying goes, if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is. Furthermore VOIPo tech support, which used to be available without long waits, now requires listening to music for far too long. And when you do get someone, you end up being a ping pong ball between your ISP and your voip. To you Tim I say, please return your company to the one I was so enthusiastic about. I hope I am taken seriously.

Review by caylor931 See Profile

• Location: Parker,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, Call blocking & Routing Features"
Bad "SIP, International Call Blocking, "
Overall "DO NOT USE if international calling from SIP"

My wife is from Panama and routinely makes calls to her family there. We had Vonage and she regularly used their "extensions" program on her android smartphone with ZERO limitations on the number she calls. The only difference is the rates are higher for mobile numbers vs landlines (Vonage clearly shows the pricing difference if you research the number). So we set up the SIP soft phone software on VOIPo and she tried calling and kept getting the "call is not authorized" message. I added the country to the authorized list and it still blocked the calls. Finally reached out to VOIPo customer support and they informed us that mobile numbers are not authorized to be called from a SIP (soft phone), thus they were being blocked. I switched back to Vonage as this was a deal breaker for us. Also to note....when I was switching back to Vonage, I discovered they have now added Panama as a location where we can have an international extension. So now her family can call her at local rates and we set up the simultaneous ring so it rings her mobile phone when they call. Vonage rocks here!!!

One plus for VOIPo: Their ability to block or route calls on a per-number basis was really nice. Vonage would grab even more customers if they implemented this feature.

BOTTOM LINE:

DO NOT USE VOIPo if you want to call overseas numbers from your BYOD. While they let you use SIP (soft phone) from your mobile device, it is likely you will not be able to call mobile numbers overseas. Since the majority of the people you will likely be calling overseas will be using mobile phones (mostly only businesses use landlines overseas now).

VOIPo doesn't notify you of this fact, that mobile numbers are blocked for international calling from SIP, their tech support just said that "certain international destinations may not be reachable through the remote access number or BYOD features." I disagree that that is the same as certain numbers (mobile numbers only) within a certain destination, because their website says that if the country is not listed it is not available for use by BYOD. Even more contradictory, is even when I try to use the International Calling Security features to allow only calls to Panama by using the whitelist for the country for the VOIPo Adapter those numbers don't work so their service is broken....period, as it only allows SOME calls to Panama from the adapter which is not what their functionality states.

I did my research and all their website states is that to unblock an international number it is based on the country code. The VOIPo site says Panama calls to country code 507 are allowed. Obviously that isn't completely true because it also checks the prefix to see if it is a mobile number. they need to clarify that fact. This is so unfortunate because their service looked so promising only to be such a HUGE let down.

Consider me taken for $36 (paid $185 and was refunded $149) for the service used for the time it took me to realize this and get the service turned off (getting the number ported back, etc). No way to get in under the 30-day money back guarantee and had to pay the shipping to return the ATA.

• Location: Weatherford,Parker,TX
Good "It works sometimes"
Bad "everything else"

It would be nice to see a comprehensive and thoughtful response from VoIPo on this, but so far they have not been any help.

I highly recommend that you DO NOT choose VoIPo as a reseller provider or to use any service you want supported for the following reasons:

• It doesn't work: since January we have repeatedly had issues with our service going completely down almost reliably.

o The situation has deteriorated starting in January and has only gotten worse

• They will not support the product because there is no phone support for these issues you must submit a ticket - to which they respond with the following explanations:

o It's an upstream issue we corrected (that doesn't absolve you of supporting your customers)

o It was a database corruption issue (someone isn't handling the software side well)

o There's no issue at all try it now (it magically fixed itself and nobody is buying that)

• Haphazard communication on porting: they offer no level of support on when and if a port happens..it just happens. This does not work well for a business or anybody that wants to have some level of certainty on when their port will happen. This is possible with carriers such as Level3 and others that offer e-bonded port triggering.

They do not respond with a good resolution, and the problems continue on with no regard or sympathy for the customer. We occasionally got some accidental honest responses that equated to them having database corruption issues. I would certainly never try to rely on them for “always on” service. If you want a VoIP service that mostly works -- go for it. But, I wouldn’t count on you agreeing with their tagline for very long “the likeable phone company.” I have not received any refunds for down-time nor ever been offered any. It has been the worst experience I’ve ever had with a company that sales a service they aren’t even willing to fully support. As a customer we paid over $3,000 a month for an account with VoIPo.

Fyi - I have email responses admitting to the issues directly. The moment I started posting reviews the only claim is that it doesn't work well with our service.

(review was emailed from domain team.nxlink.com)

Comments:

OP

@mchsi.com

Customer Service Practice

Also, as a matter of customer service practice. They would rather delete your reviews and complaints then respond honestly.

If you go to the forum on VoIPo you will see a locked post. Also, a Facebook post was immediately deleted.

$3000/mo

You probably want to correct the price to improve your credibility. Also, I left several critical posts of them, and they handled it quite professionally. Do you mind posting some links to the posts that they locked or otherwise mishandled?
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPo Owner

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and I've personally been in correspondence with this user both before and after this review was posted.

This user has reported many issues, but we haven't been able to track them to being on our side. Based on what I've seen so far, it looks like the user has had chronic issues, but they appear to be isolated. When these reported outages occurred, we had thousands of calls in progress on our network.

I believe that the user in question would be better suited by an enterprise provider that is priced accordingly and can provide him with SLAs and 24/7 support so that he gets the service level he's looking for. We've made this recommendation to him multiple times before.

I'm always more than happy to personally step in and try to help users when they've had a bad experience within our company as long as the customer can communicate in a progressional manner. We interact with all of our customers with respect and professionalism and expect the same in return.

We did have to lock some posts because the user was posting the same message over and over on forums, Facebook, etc even after discussing his issue with me. His posts were consolidated into one thread at »forums.voipo.com/showthread.php/···o-Issues instead of being in multiple places over and over and over. Originally they were posted in nearly every subforum on our forums and all over Facebook. You can see a few duplicates from the forum post merging there already.

I'm going to reach out to the customer again on Monday to attempt to communicate and discuss. I ultimately think this user would be better suited with an enterprise grade service though so that he can get the level of support, SLAs, and personalized service that he is looking for.

rukus

@qwest.net

Re: Response from VOIPo Owner

Timothy Dick
Then explain why your company refuses after 2 years of excuses to go into advanced settings and extend the "no key entry timeout" from the default of 3 seconds to at least 10 seconds AND hangs up on me when I demand it. When attempting to dial from a web page and having to look back and forth at an unknown number, it can not be done within 3 seconds. This is he grandmaster ht502

Review by danadams10 See Profile

• Location: Palm Springs,Riverside,CA
Good "Cheap, US based tech support"
Bad "Poor quality, undependable service"
Overall "Nice people, but disappointing service"

Tired of paying the escalating prices for Vonage service, three years ago I began searching other options. I live in Mexico six months of the year and needed reliable VoIP service that I could take with me from the US to Mexico. After some research, I decided to go with Voipo. Their monthly charges were significantly less than Vonage, their customer service is in the US, and when I called them to inquire about their service in Mexico, the rep told me that if Vonage worked there, so would their service.

I am now switching back to Vonage. From the outset, Voipo was plagued with service outages (in both the US and Mexico), and unless you have an extremely high speed Internet connection, call quality can be choppy and broken. Their service reps were all outstanding to work with, and they spent hours over the past few years tweaking the settings on their end to improve quality. It would be OK for a while, then the problems would return. Annoying, but I still liked their service. (As reference, my download speed is 5mb, upload is .6mb, and ping runs between 40 and 60).

That all changed about two months ago. While I had a good connection, I received a recording that I could not make an international call (to New Zealand). I called Voipo support, and they said that they were cutting off international service to their customers who lived in some foreign countries including Mexico. They said there was too much fraud and it was hard to track outside the US. Since I don't call much internationally, I decided to accept it.

Now, however, the Voipo service has stopped altogether. I contacted Voipo support and the rep said that effective immediately, Voipo will no longer provide service outside the US and that service to existing customers in some countries outside the US was being turned off. No warning, no alternative, no exceptions made even if you have been a loyal paying customer.

I have now started the process of switching back to Vonage (which now has calling plans in roughly the same price range as Voipo). If you don't plan on traveling outside the US, Voipo is probably OK to go with if you have VERY fast Internet (though if your phone service goes down with them at night or on weekends, you're out of luck getting it restored until the next business day. Their offices and support have very limited hours).

Comments:
VOIPoTim
Newport Beach, CA

Response from VOIPo

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPo and saw this post.

I'm sorry to hear that you've had issues with our service and that you were impacted by our international blocks. Unfortunately our service is not intended to be used outside of the US except for occasional travel. That's why we require a US billing address and only ship to the US. Officially, our service is only available to US customers. We generally do allow US customers to use our service in other countries (such as when they are traveling), but certain areas/ISPs/IP address blocks just have so much fraud coming from them that we block those areas. I'm very sorry that you were impacted by this, but unfortunately fraud is a very big problem for VoIP providers and a few people can ruin things for many good customers.

Thank you for your past business and we wish you well with your new provider.