VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "All you can eat, one price"
Bad "Porting snafu, but resolved"
Overall "So far so good"

Recent residential move led to need for something other than a pay per minute approach (which I have for several other providers). After researching, selected VOIPO for it's $149 (+ taxes) for 2 year promo. For the price you get "unlimited" residential calling, porting, LIDB, CNAM and 911.

The only snafu was the porting. We were porting a GV number in the new area (one that we had for some time), and got the FOC date from VOIPO. But on the day after the FOC, callers were getting a "not in service" message. VOIPO claimed the number was released too early by GV, but this was the day after the FOC, so I called BS.

Tim and his team did sort it out that same day (in a matter of hours) and service since has been very good. I'm using a combo of their Grandstream device and BYOD service via my OBI-110. I actually find the call quality a little bit better on the OBI than on the GS, but I get a slight bit of latency on the OBI that doesn't seem to happen on the GS from VOIPO. So the jury is out on which approach I will take going forward.

The family doesn't notice any difference from VOIPO and their old POTS service, so that's good, really all that matters.

Now I wish that VOIPO had a way to test 911 so I could have some confidence it's set up correctly...

Update Aug 2013:

Running smoothly, updated my router which removed any connection glitches that might occur.

Still getting the occasional drop at 18 minutes (this seems to be a VOIPO thing... see other internet comments on drops between 15-19 minutes), but since this is in a non-business setting, and I am only paying 7 bucks, I'm willing to tolerate a few drops.

Still no way to test E911, hope I don't need to anytime soon.

If the renew for 2 years at the price of one is offered again, might re-up for another couple, it's been that stable.

Updated and increased my scores based on 5+ months of service.

--UPDATED JAN-2014--

As noted above, the quality and stability has been great. The occasional mysterious call drops at 18 mins have all but disappeared.

The wife and kids don't detect any difference from our old landline and we're saving a boatload of money every month.

Re-upped with the early renewal offer back in 4Q2013, I'm very satisfied, now locking in until 2017.

-- UPDATED DEC-2014 --

Still going strong. A few weeks back (Nov-2014) had a little blip that we would get a couple of rings and then dead air, while at the other end it would ring and they would answer it and get dead air. It was intermittent, so really couldn't open a ticket. But it resolved itself after about 3 days. Since this is a personal account, it was an inconvenience, nothing more. Other than that blip, no other issues to report. Trying to get my parents to drop FIOS phone and save about $30/month (mostly taxes).

member for 12.3 years, 790 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by snic See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Westchester,NY
Good "Used to work great; has some great features but they are pointless if the basic service doesn't work"
Bad "Have had some problems with call completion lately. Service is almost non-functional"
Overall "Not worth the aggravation"

I've had VOIPO for about 20 months now. For the first 19 months, I was an extremely happy camper. The Grandstream device arrived quickly and there were no major problems with connecting it and porting my old number over - I recall some issue that developed during set-up that was fixed within a day or two by responsive customer service. Over the ensuing months, occasionally there would be a problem with a call not completing or some issue with the person at the other end of the line not hearing me. And once in a while (less than once a month) there's no dial tone, which is immediately fixed by rebooting the Grandstream. These problems were few and far between, and the low cost and great list of features more than made up for them. I particularly like being able to blacklist an unlimited number of spam numbers by routing them to the "this number has been disconnected" message. Recently they added nomorobo support, which is great. Also, the 60 minutes of free international calling is an excellent feature as well (but beware - some numbers are not included - especially cell phone numbers in certain countries. Be sure to check before calling!)

Recently, however, I had a big problem with calls to certain (domestic) numbers not being completed. I contacted VOIPO customer service by e-mail (the only option on weekends or outside of West Coast business hours) and they typically replied within a few hours. They blamed the problem on the carrier they were routing the call through and changed the carrier. That didn't work the first time they tried it but now it seems fine. Then I had a problem with not being able to hear the other party when I called certain numbers, but that is now fixed as well (for now). I'm not sure why there has been such a proliferation of problems lately, but they have been very aggravating. VOIPO says they can't force other carriers to connect their calls, but then why did my cable company's VOIP service never, ever have this problem? And despite multiple e-mails about these problems, I have never once been offered anything to compensate me for the fact that I have paid for something that then was not delivered. The monetary compensation isn't really the issue, as the monthly cost is so low that a few days of lost service amounts to pennies. It's more that I'm annoyed at the absence of even a token of understanding that they did not provide the advertised service, and that maybe they should not simply take my business for granted.

In all, it might be a case of "you get what you pay for". VOIPO is currently among the lowest, if not the lowest-cost VOIP provider. I'd be absolutely thrilled if the last month had been like the first 19 months. I'll see how the service goes over the next few months, and if the recent problems don't recur, I'll probably renew for another 2 years. But I'm not willing to put up with constantly contacting customer service because calls won't complete.

UPDATE - just a few hours after posting this reasonably positive review, I tried to make a call to a new number and it would not go through. It worked fine from my cell phone. Customer service will probably fix this in a few hours, but at this point, that hardly matters any more. What is the point of a phone service where you regularly have to contact customer service and wait 6 hours just to place a call to a number you haven't called before? I've changed my review to very negative and will keep it that way until the service works like it's supposed to. And I'm most certainly going to cancel it if it doesn't improve. It's really too bad, as it was very good while it lasted.

UPDATE 11/1/14 - I am going to update this review every single time I have a problem with my Voipo service, until I cancel my service or the problem is fixed to my satisfaction. Today, yet again, I get the dreaded one ring and busy signal when calling a number I can reach with my cell phone.

UPDATE 11/3/14 - After another "carrier route update", the problem still isn't fixed. Dreaded one ring plus busy signal this morning, yet the number is perfectly accessible via cell phone.

UPDATE 11/10/14 - VOIPO asked me to place their device in my router's DMZ, which I did. This morning I called a number and got one ring plus busy signal yet again.

UPDATE 12/15/14 - I've continued to have problems with outbound calls not connecting, but haven't had time either to contact VOIPO about them or post here. I've decided to cancel my service and move to another voip provider.

member for 5.1 years, 150 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I have had VOIPo for my main personal line for over 6-8 years, gotta think in two's. And as I have said here many times, there are problems inherent with any VoIP product. But although I have had and am having new installation hiccups with the Family line we just moved, that will save us $600 a year, a few hiccups are worth it. As far as service, I submitted a ticket and first got the same tech that confirmed my somewhat uncommon set up would work and it has. So he was familiar with my set up and is able to deal with it more effectively. The only major problem is that we have too many people working on this, that ticket replies are getting stepped all over. I have put things on hold and am going to let it settle for a couple of days. For a new install, that is usual.

Now a couple of weeks ago they had a provider problem that caused issues for a short time. But that's long since taken care of. So what the cause of your current issues, could be just about anything and might not have anything to do with VOIPo. If VOIPo wasn't solid, I would have never moved the family line over, nor many neighbor and friends home and business lines. It is a "mission" critical line, medical and whatnot. But mostly if it doesn't work, Grandma will have my head. Although VOIPo has a prorated refund policy, without a head, it'll do me no good.

I have been testing newer router gear for the past year and of all the things that can be really messed up, it's a VoIP line. My VOIPo line has been solid all through the mayhem. Except when a setting needs to be changed and I am on the phone and reset it and lose the line. Then that's my problem of not thinking about what I am doing or doing too many things at one time.

Most all issues I have seen with VOIPo seem to mellow out over a short amount of time. And now ones are usually third parties that they have to use to get us the product.

Yes! I am a VOIPo Fanboy, Apple and Tesla too and darn proud of it.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I used to be quite a fan of Voipo, too. But with the recent problems, I can't reach about one out of 3 new numbers I try to dial. I've already given it a "short amount of time" (the original support ticket was created 3 weeks ago), but the problems haven't mellowed out at all. There were a few days where everything seemed back to normal, but in hindsight that is probably just because we weren't calling very much.

Finally, as for the idea that the problems "might not have anything to do with VOIPo," ummm, well, it's their service that isn't working. At one point they blamed the problem on other carriers, saying they can't force them to accept Voipo's calls. I can accept that if it happens once or twice. But for it to happen consistently means that something is fundamentally wrong. And because it means a Voipo customer can't use the Voipo service that he paid for, it most certainly is Voipo's problem.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Even these days the VoIP's have to interact with telco's, other providers and entities and they do not and don't have to play fair. That's how I lost SprintION, 1998-2002, the best Internet and telephone service ever. They decided it was cheaper to go out of business than to fight USWest at the time. And as far as them not being able to force other carriers to take their calls, they can't. No one can. That's a major problem with the FCC and our telco system. So yes to that.

I've had some issues over the past couple of days. They were gone before I could submit a ticket. It seems to go in spurtz when the telcos want to be pissy. I use to work for one and have contacts there and access to info. Have you tried another service? If you haven't, then how do you absolutely know it's VOIPo? When I had the same problems, I got Vonage for a couple of days and no problems, and we found it was a setting that was buried in my ATA that kept resetting itself that caused the problem. But if I hadn't tried another service I'd have never have known and would have never have had the proof. So until you do, I can't see how you know that it is VOIPo. WHICH, it could very well be. But there are a billion variables these days. I've had routers that would just not let any VoIP services work. There's a ton that can go wrong with you use these types of services and until it's be around and as strong as the telco's, there will be problems. And the more you yell, the more I'd yell back. Proof gets results.

I have 9 families in my areas with a minimum of 2 lines each. And due to the nature of the beast, there will are going to be problems. Even Comcast has theirs. (The worst)

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Haha, I'm not yelling. I understand your point that there are many things that can go wrong with VOIP service. Some of them might be out of Voipo's direct control, but the bottom line is that they are charging me for a service that they are not providing. That makes all those problems Voipo's problems: if Voipo is going to sell a service, it is their absolute responsibility to make sure that it works reliably. Yes, it could be that other telcos are being "pissy". Not my problem; Voipo needs to find a way to connect to them because they are charging me money for "phone service," which by any definition means the ability to call whomever I want without having to contact customer service first. It could be that there's something wrong with my ATA. Not my problem; Voipo needs to figure it out and fix it. It could be a million things, all of which it is Voipo's responsibility to fix, and as of today it has been more than three weeks and after multiple interactions with their tech support, the problem STILL is not fixed.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

The yelling part was a "metaphor" and also a call out that it's a two-way street. You know for a fact that there is nothing on your end that could be "contributing" to this? To prove this, I got a second provider on a trial basis where their gear worked a bit differently and I found the problem. Come to find out there was a router setting that was getting in the way. Once set right, all was good.

Yeh, try your train of thought with a telco and see what they say. Yes, it is a responsibility of a provider to "provide". It's in the word. And the rules that govern this "provision" are all over the place favoring the big guys. We all know that VoIP is a fledgling industry and the telcos do not want them around. So they are going to make it difficult to do business. Even to the point that I know that the telcos have threatened third party carriers that the VoIP's need to be able to provide to you. And here it comes, BUT when going into this we all know that it's not going to be a smooth ride. That's a given with VoIP. And with that there are going to be problems.

Some friends of mine wanted VoIP, to get away from their telco, and went to Comcast. WOW! BIG mistake. Their phone barely works anymore and Comcast really doesn't care and under the rules that Comcast has to play by, they don't have to care and my friends are stuck in a contract that they have to prove that there is a problem before they can get out. And they can't because it's all on Comcast's end and the big C won't help. As soon as they can move they are coming over to VOIPo.

If VOIPo is not working for you, there's a ton of other providers out there and VOIPo has a prorated refund policy. Go take a look, maybe you'll find a provider that is exactly what you want. Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished. I know, I have been in your place a couple of times and will be again in the future. BUT I know that they will go to the ends of the Earth to work with me to fix whatever it is that goes wrong. That is within our power though. Just the other day I had to shut down a ticket because there were too many people getting involved on it. And the problem went away on it own.

Go take a look, you might be surprised to find VOIPo is just what you want. No VoIP company's perfect. No telco is perfect. But they have been at it longer, have the rules skewed in their favor and have a proven technology that VoIP is just getting together. While dodging shots across the bow.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Sure it will. It will let prospective Voipo customers know what kind of experience I've been having, which will help them to make an informed decision. Isn't that the whole point of online reviews?

said by snic:

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Concur.

Littleton, CO
When you find the perfect VoIP provider let us know, so we all can move to it.

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Reliability"
Bad "VOIPo ATA does not support home wiring. BYOD must 1st use VOIPo ATA. No outgoing CNAM. "
Overall "YMMV"

Update 11/16/2014: After waiting more than 2 years, VOIPo still does not have outgoing CNAM for my area. I opened a PhonePower account several months ago and PP DOES HAVE OUTGOING CNAM and I only pay $60/yr with the Obihai plan. Also PhonePower gives free 60 mins/mo to almost all all S. Korea phone numbers while VOIPo only provides free 60 mins to land-line phone numbers and charges 9 Cents/min for Korean mobile numbers- -among the highest in the VOIP industry. Accordingly I have downgraded the Value for money rating.

_____________________________________________________

Update 7/12/2014: Service still remains stable but there was an ~8 min disruption since my last update. Having another account with PhonePower for 3 months now and being familiar with their web-site, I am going to raise the VOIPo web-site rating from 50 to 75 as I find it superior to PP's but think it's a bit busy.

_____________________________________________________

Update 06/02/2014: Service still remains stable. I'll probably be recommending to our local American Legion Post to switch their business POTS line ($100/month) to VOIPo. The money saved will pay for the internet service and a bonus of WIFI to increase business.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

dlarkin_dc

join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA
·Cox HSI

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
VOIPo

O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

I am glad you addressed some of the problems. I've kicked around the idea of VoIPo and decided against it based on a couple of things. [1] The owner's unhelpful reply to you, [2] my own unhappy experience with the failure of the Vonage telephony device after 9 months, and [3] the low uplink provided by both my cable and my ISP. This is phone duopoly sharing the same plant and the same fiber to the same communities..

The truth is the 1Mbps uplink really does not buy much in voice quality in Rural America-- regardless what the device is called, ow how it worlds. In my case I have a choice of 4/1 VoIP over cable, or the 10/1 ADSL phone over copper the company incorrectly calls POTS.

In either case when I can make a call that is clear and error free, it is wonderful. But when I can't it is worse than horrible. There is a warning here, too. LifeLine does not work over all house phones and neither does e911..

It is silly that I must buy a cell phone to place a call when the VoIP and ADSL POTS phones fail. FCC licenses US phone companies; they should work with no excuse except storm damage.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by piggygirl See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Very good service as usual"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Nothing to really complain about--still"

Updated: 11/29/2014
Renewed for another 2 years.
Service has been top-notch.
Keep up the good work
----------------------------------
Updated: 02/24/2014
Great service since 2008
------------------------------------
Updated: 01/28/2013
Still no complaints
Phone rings when it's supposed to
Calls still clear.
-----------------------------------
Update: 06/10/2012
Had them since 2008
No complaints. Calls are clear. No dropped calls.
No reason to contact customer service.
I think my favorite option is the filtering. The only way to deal with telemarketers.
The amount of money saved over Verizon land line has been the major plus.
Keep up the good work.
---------------------------------------
Update: 12/22/2011
Had them for about 3 years now.
No complaints. Calls are clear.
No reason to contact customer service.
It just works.

Update: 08/09/2011
Still having excellent service
Still nothing to complain about

-----------------------------
Update: 12/11/2010
Excellent service.
Nothing to complain about.
Great promotion prices

--------------------------
Update 02/14/2010
I have nothing to complain about.
It just works..
--------

Update 10/19/2009
Very stable.
Clear audio.
Very little contact with customer service.
--------

Update 04/11/2009

Since the replacement of the Grandstream, dropped registrations are a ghost of the past.

I realized I could get 1 free virtual number, which I happily now give to the credit card companies.

Customer service has been very responsive.

Keep up the good work!!

================================================

Update 03/16/2009

Had the Grandstream which kept dropping registrations which Voipo replaced with the PAP2T.

Since then, no dropped registrations, audio has been clear both directions.

There was a problem which Voipo diagnosed and reacted quickly to it.

=============================
I've been with VOIPo for about 2 months now.
Sound is very clear.
I've had a few tickets that were dealt with quickly.
Simultaneous ring is a nice new feature.

Keep up the good work!

Comments:

Review by Kill4Speed See Profile

• Location: Ashburn,Loudoun,VA
Good "voice quality has been excellent"
Overall "there are a few missing features but I'll take stable service/reliability over features any day"

I've been beta-ingVOIPo since it was offered (1yr+)
despite the fact that it's still in beta, I've rarely experience unannounced outages
voice quality has been excellent

08/04/2008 update
VOIPo is not publicly launched yet; however, I've been very happy during the (generously long) beta that I've ordered (1yr) service for my parents (nontechies, who live out of state)

10/09/2008 update
Still impressed with the VOIPo stable service; decided to port my own home number to VOIPo as well

10/22/08 update
Outstanding Customer Support! Here are some examples:

1. I submitted a ticket regarding audio quality issue with the 1st ATA sent via VOIPo (to my out of state parents). Despite the hardship caused by the hurricane, VOIPo quickly replaced the defective equipment
2. I expressed issue with audio delay of 2-3 ms in answering incoming calls with the HT-286, VOIPo promptly resolved it by upgrading my ATA to a HT-502. Thanks for saving my ears (from the wife's complaints)
3. I submitted a ticket regarding answering machine recorded busy/reorder tone after callers hung up. The support team thanked me ,"VOIPo appreciates your dedication and involvement in advancing our service and features.", and informed me that they've forward the issue to their developers

For those that want to obtain reliable, plug and play VOIP service, I highly recommend VOIPo

I'll try to update the review as time permits

03/13/09 update
Since I've learned VOIPo 'fixed' the 30 min. session timer problem with ATAs which do not support RFC4028, I've started using my own SPA-1001 (instead of the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502)
AFAIK, we did not experience the infamous "lost registration" that many have experienced; Our audio quality has been excellent; my parents ,OTOH, experienced occasion audio and registration issues; BTW, they're still using the VOIPo provided/provisioned HT-502. I've asked them (my parents) to keep me informed so that I can submit problem ticket to VOIPo support team

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/09

1. the 15th of this month marks our 1st year anniversary with VOIPo - yes, time flies while we're ...
2. I've paid for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)
3. Needless to say, I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo

04/18/10

Experienced a brief outage - promptly addressed by support
While I read others have/had experienced stability issues with VOIPo,
I'm still happy with the service.
One has to realize that VOIP over public network will never be as reliable as POST...
lost my thought there, but I hope everyone get what I'm trying to convey

05/16/09
I'm happy to report that VOIPo has added CallerId+Location to "Call History"

10/13/10

I'm still happy with the service provided via VOIPo, signed up for another year of service (for our residence and our parents)

01/10/14 - Still with VOIPo - enuf said

11/16/14 - just renewed service for another year

Comments:

Review by gbh2o See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "Quality residential services, great features, and high quality support."
Bad "Addictive!"
Overall "Built to provide _service_ to the customer, and make lots of money. ;-)"

·Future Nine Corp..
·callwithus
UPDATE 20141027 - Still providing reasonable quality and solid residential value.

UPDATE 20131004 - Solid value for the residential customer. Features galore to make life interesting. Multiple 'lines' all work fine and Beta tests can get really interesting.

UPDATE 20121117 - UPDATE- Just keeps plodding along testing new features and looks while maintaining great value and reliability for residential users. I keep getting more for less as VOIPo grows!

UPDATE 20120522 - UPDATE- Yawn! See below... I keep forgetting them since it just keep working.

UPDATE 20111209 - Yawn! New features and options that all work the way they say they do. Inexpensive for their level of solid service. A keeper.

UPDATE 20110823 - Grrr.... I can't find anything to complain about. VOIPo just keeps working the way they claim they do, although with various improvements and additions. Great value, great service and support. Darn it!

UPDATE 20101112 - Still enjoying the flexibility that comes with each account to make it work the way that serves me best! Strong and responsive support easily available.

UPDATE 20100301 - VOIPo is rapidly developing into a well-rounded major VoSP concentrating on top-quality Residential services. Exceptional feature development continues at a strong pace, and supporting services continue to be improved. This is a company here for the long term, with really big ideas and plans, and infrastructure.

UPDATE 20090109 - Developing into a solid, long-term national provider in the large scale category. Constantly looking to add features to an already solid line-up of services. Extremely responsive! Look for VOIPo to be around for a long time!

UPDATE October 20, 2008

I must now admit to being a VOIPo addict. I now have two dedicated residential accounts as well as 7 DIDs pointed to pbx servers (1 toll-free number, 1 toll-free fax number and 5 low-volume 'local' DIDs for family members.) When I need something for lower 'residential' volume inbound traffic set up fast, I find myself at the VOIPo login. A few seconds later the new service is live.

VOIPo does limit itself at present to providing standard residential volume products, primarily intended for single household use. So, I also must confess to happily using several other providers for my higher volume out-bound termination from the asterisk-based systems where I need greater flexibility and control. Nothing bad against VOIPo, it's just their choice for a sound and stable business model (darn it).

UPDATE July 15, 2008

I'm now a _paying_ customer... because of the confidence I have in VOIPo's products. So, I put my $ where I've talked about!

ORIGINAL REVIEW

The companies name is correctly VOIPo.

My disclosures:

This is a review of a service currently in pre-launch status.

I am biased, I participated in the alpha and beta cycles of development with this company for well over a year. Please see my periodic updates I post at the end of my evaluation.

The evaluation.

VOIPo has been built as a company according to the vision of owner Timothy Dick. The company has been committed to developing a high quality, stable and reliable service for customers. At one point, he discovered that his development team had failed to follow his vision of quality; I watched as he replaced the whole team with other professionals in the field, and basically started development over. With this new team, he has produced what I find to be an extremely secure and reliable VoIP service, coupled with features easily controlled from within the users 'vPanel.' BEWARE, controlling available features from this simple and straight-forward interface can become almost addictive! Call quality has been exceptional throughout development, partially attributable to concentrating on US service. Downtime I've noticed to date has amounted to perhaps two hours, primarily during announced hardware/software upgrades and modifications. At this time, VOIPo services will appeal primarily to the residential customer who just wants to plug it in, have the phone work, and have all the bells and whistles too.

The primary offering is a Residential plan, designed for customers in the U.S.A. It is intended to use a simple and reliable standard GrandStream analogue phone adapter, that was chosen for the ease of VOIPo remote diagnostics and maintenance. There is also an allowance for a softphone to be used when traveling. Customers use the “vPanel” to setup and control their account in real time. Failover, Call Waiting, 3 Way Calling, Caller ID with Name, Call Waiting ID, Anonymous Call Rejection, Caller ID Block, Call Return, Call Forwarding, and Voice mail are standard included features. The voice mail feature is on of the slickest I've seen. There is an ability to notify one or more email accounts of receipt of a voice mail including the Caller ID (CID), size and date and time of the message. You may elect to include a .WAV file of the message on an account basis. You may also elect to send an SMS with just the CID, size and date/time information (i.e. To your cell phone). An elaborate contacts management system is fully integrated into the other features like Custom Caller ID, Call Routing, Click to Call, Do Not Disturb and much more. You may associate unlimited phone numbers with the contact and also assign n your contacts to groups like family, friends, enemies, work ,etc. Once a contact is added, you may assign a nickname or 'custom CID name' that will be used to override the default network provided Caller ID name. Having your CID display “Dad” instead of a generic “PA Cell Phone” makes life a lot easier. You may also like the neat click-to-call feature within the contacts system. User selectable Custom call routing criteria (including wildcards!) allows unlimited manipulation of inbound calls to reach your phones, get a busy signal or a disconnected message, or be forward to another number or straight to voice mail. You can setup unlimited routing options and manage them all in real-time from the user console. Similarly, you may route outbound calls! You can create your own 'speed dial' features for example, by routing outbound '111' to your tennis partner's phone if you like. If you disapprove of your minor son calling the local escort service, just send that number to a busy signal, or better yet to your cell phone for confession time. Only your imagination can limit how outgoing calls from your phone are handled!. VOIPo supports dialing 7, 10, or 11 digits for ease of use. The entire system is designed support using SIP addresses for both inbound calls and as destinations. A user may also elect participation in a 'Community Powered Telemarketing Block' program, or to block all international calls. Users can easily add residential virtual local numbers from rate centers throughout the country, or even virtual toll free numbers.

member for 14 years, 4920 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Redwolf See Profile

• Location: Hot Springs National Park,Garland,AR
Good "Voice quality"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Awesome service and features for the price"

·Cablelynx
Have had an ATT Wireless Home Phone 2 years and was tired of the price and quirks with it. Finally decided to try an VOIP phone service. I settled on VOIPo because the price was right and the simple ordering process.

The Grandstream HT 701 arrived in a few days. Hooked it up and was off and running with a temporary number while waiting on my port to complete.

Think it has been about 2 weeks since port was complete. Smooth sailing so far, I find the voice quality to be outstanding and can find no downside to making the switch. The failover feature for when my power or ISP are out is great (I have already tested it).

I will update later as necessary.

member for 13.9 years, 3200 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by fbruno See Profile

• Location: Berwyn,Chester,PA
Good "Decent service at a good price. Tech support is responsive. Allows BYOD"
Bad "Occasional outages on BYOD service"
Overall "I'm happy with it."

--October 2014--

I have been with VOIPo since January 2013 when Quantumvoice terminated residential service. VOIPo was selected because they had a decent price, BYOD in the monthly fee, and the easiest technical setup.

Their offer was 24 months for $149, plus $36 in fees and taxes.There is an additional yearly fee of $36 for a second virtual number. Both numbers seamlessly ported from Quantumvoice in four days.

I use the VOIPo provided ATA for the hardwired kitchen phone and cordless base station, and my Linksys SPA phones for the BYOD terminals.

The service on the ATA is solid, with exceptionally rare outages. The BYOD service is less stable, with occasional short outages of minutes or hours.

The forums and tech support resources have been sufficient for answering questions and supporting configuration needs. I especially value the reduction in telemarketing calls provided by their Telemarketer Block and recently introduced support of the Nomorobo service. I have also used their softphone support for occasional calls from my iPhone.

member for 14.7 years, 2951 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Great Voice Quality Fast Email Support"
Overall "Voipo is great"

Update 09/27/2014

Service has been rock solid. No problems at all I would recommend Voipo to anyone who has good internet provider.

Update 02/19/2014

Great reliability and pricing...I recommend them highly.

Update 5/30/2012

I am still with Voipo and everything is still reliable as the day I first subscribed. My internet connection is 30 meg down/3meg up. As always, your ISP needs to be reliable as your voip service.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I am new to Voipo and I am a happy customer. After using Packet 8 now 8x8 since 2005, I can already tell that Voipo is years ahead of them when it comes to support and quality of service. I will be updating this review over the next couple of weeks since I am new to Voipo. My number is scheduled to port to them on 06/09/09. I am glad to have switched so far.

Update

My number has been ported over to Voipo as scheduled. Service reliability continues to be excellent.

==============================================================

Since my last review, I can say that Voipo has maintained the great level of service and is very reliable for me. Customer service is quick to respond via email when I had questions. I can't recommend them enough.

member for 14.5 years, 6665 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Great support, communications from VoIPo, call quality, steady - consistent service"
Overall "Great price, Great tech support when needed. BEST value for service and features, period....."

·Cox HSI
UPDATE: 9/27/2014

Still satisfied. Works well, though between myself and family, probably use less and less because everyone is carrying a Smartphone now. When I do use, just works. They have added support for broader SIP client support, which I have used from my laptop over LTE or WiFi and then use a Bluetooth headset connected to laptop. Website has improved for feature management. No question, worth the money, great value, great product.

UPDATE: 12/4/2013

Great service. Very satisfied. Would like to see new features, e.g. soft client or mobile device SIP support (and is probably available today with 3rd party apps). Click to dial would be a great option as well. I recently change routers and did have to configure port forwarding on new router to work correctly.

UPDATE: 7/11/2013

Continued my service for another 2 years -- $159 for two years, so about $6.65 per month!! Unlimited calling/LD. Really do not use the service much as everyone in the house uses cellular services now. However, when I do use the service -- always works. Still Highly Recommend this service.

UPDATE: 1/16/2012

Continued my service for another year due to another great year of reliable, consistent service. I want my dial tone to be a "non-issue". Excellent service, call quality has exceeded my expectations. I receive high value for the amount I pay. I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

Update: 6/25/2011.

Continued my service. Excellent service, call quality is very, very good. I will say, as I used vanilla Tomato (on a Linksys router), Tomato USB variant has made this service ROCK SOLID -- i.e. it can recover automatically from any network glitches. This is the overall, best value for Voip services -- period. All other complaining must have a technical problem, which the Voip consumer industry, as a whole, must just deal with. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

UPDATE: 7/29/2009.

Service continues to be excellent. Issues seen during late 2008/early 2009 are history. If you plan to use Tomato or DD-WRT, expect to have to modify some settings to handle a router reboot. I run Tomato and found I had to make modifications to UDP packet timeouts, with the excellent help from the VoipO support team (and help from Wireshark).

Clearly the best service/value combination I have found. Couple things people need to understand. If you need to fax -- get a POTS line from your local, traditional provider for 'basic lifeline services', add a dial-around plan for LD calls. Don't even think you can get by with faxing on Voice over IP service -- if you can, consider yourself lucky. If you can't, and you complain, you are simply a fool. Lastly, make sure you have a clean network at home. I recommended VoipO service to a few people and a couple of them had problems. I personally looked into their problems and found they had packet loss on their local network because of bad cables. Garbage in gets Garbage out.

Original Post:

Very good service for the price level paid. Genuine concern for their customers. Excellent communication by management to customers. Problems are resolved fast when encountered. Excellent call quality.

Comments:

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

Faxing over VOIP??

Don't know what this VOIP vendor is doing to prevent/hinder faxing, but I regularly fax, both send and recieve, over Vonage with absolutely zero problems..
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Mobile Device SIP Support

You mentioned this—and I’ve been satisfactorily using VOIPo with the SIP client built into my Android phone for almost two years now.

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
·Virpus.com

Thanks to these reviews...

Based on these reviews, I just signed up with Voipo. Had been with Vonage for several years, but was looking for the ability to blacklist phone numbers, as we have had some problems with some callers. I was VERY pleased with all of the calling features that Voipo has. The number port from Vonage went flawlessly in about 4 days, and the provided Grandstream ATA went right in, replacing the Vonage ATA..
My ONLY concern was upon reading that they "prohibit" connection of their leased ATA to the house phone wiring. Since I had disconnected my wiring at the demarc, and had been using Vonage in this manner with 4 phones in the house, I wanted to clarify this with their support. Turns out the word "prohibit" was a bit strong.. It was clarified that they simply do not support the use of the house wiring.. Other than that, I'm a happy customer..