VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Price and Reliability"
Bad "ATA does not support home wiring per VOIPo support. New BYOD customers must receive VOIPo ATA. "
Overall "YMMV"

Update 7/12/2014: Service still remains stable but there was an ~8 min disruption since my last update. Having another account with PhonePower for 3 months now and being familiar with their web-site, I am going to raise the VOIPo web-site rating from 50 to 75 as I find it superior to PP's but think it's a bit busy.

_____________________________________________________

Update 06/02/2014: Service still remains stable. I'll probably be recommending to our local American Legion Post to switch their business POTS line ($100/month) to VOIPo. The money saved will pay for the internet service and a bonus of WIFI to increase business.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

·Cox HSI

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)
Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

Review by Steeler Fan See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA

I used voipo for almost 2 years.

Comments:
VOIPoTim

1 recommendation

VOIPO Owner Response

Hello,

I'm the owner of VOIPO and am very sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

Please e-mail me directly with your VOIPO number at tim @ voipo.com and I'm happy to personally reach out to the carrier to make sure they release the number.

We don't have a lot of control over porting since that's handled at the carrier level, but it sounds like the upstream carrier is definitely not handling this appropriately. They don't give us the ability to provide any name/address for a number so the only one they should have on file is ours. Porting in and out is routine so they should definitely not be confused about it.

I'm happy to personally reach out to our contacts at the carrier to help you with the transfer.

I'd also like to look into your support history. It's very concerning that a support agent would laugh at your issue and I'd like to review the call history. Laughing at an issue reported by a customer while it's still unresolved definitely isn't the norm for us and if that's something I find an agent doing, I'd very likely fire them. I apologize for any bad experience you had there and would like to review the call history.

It sounds like you have the attention of Verizon and I can get the attention of our carrier partner so if we can get in touch and connect them both with all of us looped in the conversation then there's no reason they can't get it done.

Please get in touch with me at tim @ voipo.com so I can try to help you and make this right.

I know you're no longer wanting to use our service and even once this is resolved, you may still not like us due to this bad experience, but I'd like to at least work with you to get the carrier to release the number and also address the support issue you had. As I said, I'm the owner of the company and this is definitely not how we do business so I'd really like to get to the bottom of it and address this both with the upstream carrier (they should not be rejecting/delaying) and with the support agent(s) you dealt with.

1 recommendation

VOIPO

Thanks for the fast e-mail. I received it and just replied to it.

I also reached out to our carrier (Broadvox) and they will likely reach out to their underlying carrier that this number is with (Verizon Wholesale).

Since ultimately the underlying carrier is already Verizon Wholesale, it doesn't seem like they should have an issue porting it from one Verizon division to another. Hopefully once they realize that they are already the carrier, they can get this taken care of very quickly.

I'm also going to be looking into your support issues as I said.

Please keep in touch with me until this is fully resolved as I really want to help you see it through since you shouldn't be having this issue to begin with.

Review by digger16309 See Profile

• Location: Raynham,Bristol,MA
Good "Never feel like I might not have a dial tone when I pick up the phone"
Overall "I just realized I've had them for 6 years!"

5/27/14: Just happened back here and forgot I did a review six years ago. I have re-upped with them three times since my last review. I'm paid through 2016. Just solid in every way the past six years.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

11/14/08: I had an issue with my ATA not behaving. I received excellent support including overnighting me 2 different replacement ATA's which I ended up not needing. I was never told to put the ATA in the DMZ (amen to that). Still feeling great about my choice to sign-up with them.

10/20/08: I got an equipment upgrade to the Granstream 502 ATA which does pass through the MWI indicator to my Panasonic phones. That was my only issue thus far and it was solved.

10/4/08: I was not part of the Beta, but I became a subscriber/user post-Beta, pre-launch. Because of this, the fees (e911, USF, and whatever else) were waived for the first 6 months.

My number ported flawlessly. I forwarded calls to a temporary virtual number until the porting, which worked OK, then I deleted the virtual number.

Communication is exceptional. Upon signing up, I think I received 3 or 4 different e-mails from them with various information.

The ATA is a Grandstream and it is basically plug n play. I have not accessed any of the settings, nor have I needed VOIPo to make any changes.

The MWI (Message Waiting Indicator) on this specific Grandstream ATA does not pass through to Panasonic Dect 6.0 phones. This is a minor issue, one that I hope is fixed in the next firmware update.

I gave the web site a 4 only because at present, pre-launch, there is little to no documentation so some things you have to figure out on your own, though the majority of it is intuitive if you have had Voip with another carrier.

Call quality has been excellent.

When I make calls, the line actually rings

There is never any dead air when I make a call.

No outages thus far.

Tech support is very fast. Of course, they don't have many subscribers at present, so I'm interested to see what happens at launch.

After 6 weeks, so far so good. I recommend VOIPo to anyone looking for Voip that works out of the box and does not require constant server shuffling, outages, constant problems with upstream providers, router issues, or "the customer is always wrong customer service".

Comments:

F R Ross

@162.204.168.x

VOIPo Service

I have now had VOIPO service for 3 years and have never had any real problem. The call quality is usually excellent, and if it is not, it is usually the service on the "other end", which has problems. I talk to my kids all over the country, sometimes several times a day, and never worry about what it will cost or if I can get through. I am so happy with the service I just renewed for 2 more years, and I wasn't even due to renew until August (2014). When the wife and I see our local cable provider offering a voip service with free calls in the Local Area only for $ 45 per month, we just laugh. AT&T keeps offering us $ 150 to sign up for their phone. Ha Ha. I told them to take a hike 5 years ago when they took over our local area land-line service and wanted to up our charges (without long distance) to $ 70 a month. Now, I strongly feel the term "long distance charges" should be dropped from the language.

Review by zerco See Profile

• Location: The Colony,Denton,TX
Good "smoking"

I have had VOIPo for 5 years. These guys are great, support is a little bare bones, but they got back to me the same day both times I needed something. Yeah 5 years, 2 issues. I contacted them in 2009 during setup and recently as the Linksys adapter died. The shipped a new one free of charge the same day. Call quality is exceptional and this thing just works.

Comments:

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Set it and forget it"
Bad "Nada, niente, nichts, rien, nil"
Overall "Plug it in and forget it"

·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom
April 12, 2014 ---

We are using VOIPo's service as our main residence number in our Boca Raton home. We have not had any recent problems or glitches ... no need to contact their excellent customer support folks for quite some time. The improved website as well as the excellent feature set, including faxing and SMS, are are serving us well.

Frankly, my wife no longer thinks of our VoIP setup (including a second backup line with another excellent provider) as one of my usual 'follies'.

======================================================
July 9, 2013 ---

VOIPo continues to perform brilliantly. The recent changes to their website have made negotiating the site child's play. The addition of SMS texting, allowing the outgoing CallerID for any given text to show any of the account's DIDs (in most cases), even fax DIDs, is greatly appreciated ... given the uses I have for texting. My recent contact with customer service to request info on linking my iPhone's BRIA app to my VOIPo account resulted in a quick, helpful and accurate response.

======================================================
November 15, 2012 ---

I've deleted my prior comments, begun in 2008 after a period as an alpha-tester and subsequently a beta tester.  Because the past is the past. it is more appropriate at this juncture for me to report my current views about VOIPo.

Over the last 4+ years, I have updated my reviews every 6 months or so.  My prior comments chronicled the initial development stages and steady improvement in the areas of quality, reliability, service and support.  For the longest time, my only reservations concerned the website appearance and functionality. But now, with the website "up spiff", I have nothing left to complain about.

For those who want a provider-provided pre-set ATA (adapter) ... no need to fiddle with the technical aspects of setting up the adapter ... and a fixed annual cost with no surprises ... VOIPo fits the bill nicely.

member for 8.7 years, 3360 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

mendelb

@tmodns.net

terrible terrible service

You get what you pay for! I warn you do not i repeat do not get this product. Yes, its a few dollars cheaper but the product is crap.

I recieved my modem in mail it didnt work. I was on the ph with customer service for 2 hrs they were clueless.

They sent me another one (they wanted me to go to ups and send them back first one!!! How rude and unproffesional!).

Wait its not over the second one didnt work either!!!

Get Vonage now!!
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

"Almost unlimited"

What do you mean by "almost unlimited?" What's the limit?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·Callcentric
·CIKTEL Telecom

Re: "Almost unlimited"

There has been lots of discussion and dialogue and debate over the years ... in the BBR Forums ... relating to the use of the term "unlimited" in the marketing of VoIP services. This term would seem to indicate that there are no set limits (caps) on outgoing and/or incoming calls with non-PAYG (non-Pay-As-You-Go) accounts ... i.e., accounts with fixed monthly or annual fees.

It has become a standing "joke" at this point that just about every provider that advertises "unlimited calling" actually does have a limit applied to monthly minutes usage.  With some providers, a specific cap on usage is mentioned (buried) in their Terms of Service (TOS) while others have a secret cap that is only discovered when the end user surpasses that value and is billed for overages or involuntarily upgraded to a more expensive business account.

Thus, the expression "almost unlimited" represents a sarcastic/cynical interpretation by many seasoned posters in the VoIP Forum.

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Responsive customer service, great price, great features."
Bad "None for a year now (see review)"
Overall "Amazing value, getting more reliable all time."

Update 3/23/14

I know it's been available for a while but I've just started using the newly user control panel for VOIPo. The control panel, or VPanel, in VOIPo-speak allows you to log in online and manage the features and review your account. A feature rich service like VOIPo's makes for complex account management! The revised VPanel is huge improvement, simple to find what you're looking for and with plain English description of options and features when needed. Nice one VOIPo!

Otherwise...
No glitches or hiccups in the service since the last review and the call quality is always great.
I did contact support with one technical question (an ugly hardcore low-level puzzler) and they got back to me quick and with the correct info.

These guys'n'gals are clearly knocking the ball out of the park for VOIP service.

Update 10/6/2013

It's been a year? No way!

Well I have no update to report. No issues. Working fine without a hitch for a year now.

I'm still get great responses (timely and intelligent, techie/nerdy as needed) when I ask for a clarification on a services/features.

I realize now that VOIPo have changed how I see telephone service since I dropped Verizon years ago. Despite the bumps along the way.

The ratings have been upped to reflect the reliable service and solid support.

Update 12/2013

Woah! Sorry, an update is so overdue!

A serious tech issues came back in November 2012, sometimes incoming calls were immediately directed to voicemail. VOIPo worked with me and in late November updated the firmware. Since then there's been no instance of anything not working correctly.

I've update the ratings to reflect the new reliability and the support.

Update 9/21/2012

Ahhh, I'm getting so burned out on these technical issues!

Since the update to the FW I've been getting partial breakdowns every few weeks. What happens is the VOIPo servers loose the registration of my internet/phone adapter. I'm left with a dial tone and can dial out but all incoming calls go straight to VOIPo voicemail.

VOIPo have asked me to take the adapter off UPS in case dirty UPS power is causing the problem. I have plugged it into the outlet direct but the issue reccurs. My UPS logs show the power has been clean and my modem shows the ISP connection has been stable during these "events."

On their part VOIPo have been responsive to support tickets, though the responses are getting more and more terse. In response to the current issue they have changed a value in the adapter firmware that will make the adapter more tolerant of server connectivity fluctuations. Time will tell if that resolves this latest issue.

With so many good reviews of VOIPo I suspect some of these problems are ISP related, so it's not a wholely bad reflection on VOIPo... but it's just one issue after another!

Another update coming in a month, or sooner.

Update 8/9/2012

After raising another support ticket for one-sided calls (even with modem before router) VOIPo support flashed a new firmware in my phone adapter. Since then, a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Let's hope this sticks.

Update 7/3/2012

Well , not much has changed. We're still getting one-sided calls happening. Sometimes the rate of this peaks to well over over half the calls, but usually stays lower, about 1/4th of all calls. I've also had disconnects if I'm using the mute on my phone.

Despite the perfect pricing plan that VOIPo has for my usage pattern, the service just hasn't been reliable enough to keep. I can't tell if the issue is with Cox (my ISP) or the ATA hardware, or VOIPo's service/servers but I do know VOIPo service, as responsive as it is, hasn't resolved or pin-pointed the problem.

VOIPo has fantastic plans, pricing, and features, but it just ain't reliable enough. I am shopping around now for alternatives.

Updated 1/17/12

Sorry, this is so overdue!

Been having some issues, like others in these reviews, about calls not connecting and one sided calls. This has been going on for months.

VOIPo support has been responsive to every ticket. I've been put on different VOIPo servers, had two ATA devices, ran diagnostic internet performance tests, moved devices on my LAN, setup porting/routing on my router, had call routes provisioned, traffic switched to just VOIPo servers...

But, I'm still getting call connection issues.

This may not be VOIPo's fault, there is still my Surfboard, Cox Communications ISP, and the Internet at large in the mix.

I will update again... soon.

_______________________________________________________

Had VOIPo for a year now, just renewed for another year.

Well, there's not much to say really. It works, it's reliable if your ISP, modem and router are reliable. (I'll qualify that later.)

They provide a telephone adapter, it goes after the modem/router and you plug the phone line right in, standard phone jack... and off you go.

The package I find suits me best is the 1year, it includes 60mins/month international landline calls, never any charge to any number in the US.

The fax line was additional $25/year, it works using document upload/e-mail and it works great.

Voice mail can be received in e-mail as well as accessed via the phone handset.

The online account management is great, easy to use and all the features are there. And there are tons of features there.

The support is mind-bendingly fast, informative and humane. The best I have ever, ever, experienced.

I have had infrequent trouble with my router that caused the VOIPo service to be unstable,... BUT it was 100% all in my router, not VOIPo.

Porting my old POTS number was messy because Verizon & MCI were pointing fingers at each other. Once I got them sorted out VOIPo porting was fast and easy.

If I had more then two thumbs they'd all be, "Way up!" for VOIPo.

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

I'm having one sided call problems with VOIPo too

I'm pretty certain my equipment isn't at fault (I've changed ISPs/routers and the problem followed). I created a support ticket, they supposedly switched networks that I'm on, but no difference.

It's so hit and miss. At least if it were consistent I'd be more easily able to get tech support to fix it. Some days I can make lots of calls without any trouble, other days I have to resort to my cell phone.
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
rnikischer

join:2002-12-28
Ottawa, IL

Having Difficulties Also

I'm really disappointed with the service. It has become unreliable. I experience the same trouble as everyone else. I have no complaints with tech support. They are responsive. I have followed their instructions for port forwarding but the intermittent problems still exist. Problems started to surface about 6 months ago. Some days I may only get 50% of the incoming calls, the rest of the time the callers - as well as on my end, will get dead air after picking up the phone when it rings. The other regular problem is calls routing to the failover number for no apparent reason. We can't all be crazy. It has to be their service. Prior to Voipo I was with Vonage and had maybe 3 service issues in 4 years. I am running out my 2 year pre-paid plan and if there is no improvement I will regrettably go elsewhere.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..

Your firewall

is the problem.

I had this problem too and had to spend quite some time getting my FW and NAT rules correct. You've got to port forward most of the UDP ports directly to your adapter.

Want to really rule out your FW? Put the adapter directly on your cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes.

Once my logs were showing clean on no port blocking the one sided calling thing went away on non-in-network calls.

In-network calls were another story.

Re: Your firewall

Yep, tried all those. Different routers, port forwarding and putting the ATA after modem-before router. No difference. Plus, VOIPo have put me on different servers, updated my ATA firmware and swapped out ATAs. Still no difference.

Apart from Cox as my ISP with a SB6120 modem everything has been changed up and tried!

But tell me...
What logs are you referring to that showed no port blocking? Where was your port blocking occuring?
What is the other story about In-network calls?

TIA!
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)

Sunnyvale, CA

port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

when outgoing no-ring became a problem, VOIPo support talked me through port forwarding for my 2wire router/modem. It took under 10 minutes. Now, a few weeks later, the problem is back. Also, dialing my VM gets me a busy signal [VM emails arrive, though].

power cycling the Voipo adapter usually makes things work, but not for long. My AT&T uverse internet connection seems solid when I browse the web.

I sent another email to support after hours today.

Ultimately, reliability is more important than saving $$.
AT&T uverse voice was overpriced but reliable

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

As usual a VOIPo technician responded promptly to my email and said "I have changed the command ports your adapter is using along with updating the server your adapter connects to in order to fix the busy signal issues. Please power cycle the adapter for these changes to take affect."

I power cycled and VM now works fine.

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

That's a laugh! (and I did)

The same old routine... it gets tired after a couple of years.

Hope it sticks this time!

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

It's been 3 weeks since the fix and all works well.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State
·TracFone Wireless

The biggest problem

I biggest problem I ever had with a VOIP phone is the uplink.
1 Mbps is barely enough to support it most of the time. 2 Mbps is much better.

I firmly believe the VOIP phones work much better in large cities than it does in rural America where the Internet is not nearly as dependable.

A engineer friend in Dallas had a 3 year pre paid contract with VoipO.When it started the same problems you talk about he disconnected. Now he is using Straight Talk for home. There are some volume issue but it works.

I had Vonage. It was okay until their equipment failed 9 months into the contract. For 90 days I had a wannabe phone. It wasn't until I quit they offered to replace it. I gave them a scathing review that is now missing. .
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Re: The biggest problem

1 MBPS could be enough, but if it's not stable then, yeah there's nothing you can do. The location of these service providers servers can be critical, and can directly affect stable connection speeds. I have used VOIPo's east and central servers and never had a bandwidth or jitter problem with either.

The issues I got have always been some systemic technical glitch that got fixed, eventually.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
join:2002-12-03
United State

Re: The biggest problem

The only time my provider cares is when I mention my Commerce Commission. Otherwise they hope I will die or blow away.
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

Review by piggygirl See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Very good service as usual"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Nothing to really complain about--still"

Updated: 02/24/2014
Great service since 2008
------------------------------------
Updated: 01/28/2013
Still no complaints
Phone rings when it's supposed to
Calls still clear.
-----------------------------------
Update: 06/10/2012
Had them since 2008
No complaints. Calls are clear. No dropped calls.
No reason to contact customer service.
I think my favorite option is the filtering. The only way to deal with telemarketers.
The amount of money saved over Verizon land line has been the major plus.
Keep up the good work.
---------------------------------------
Update: 12/22/2011
Had them for about 3 years now.
No complaints. Calls are clear.
No reason to contact customer service.
It just works.

Update: 08/09/2011
Still having excellent service
Still nothing to complain about

-----------------------------
Update: 12/11/2010
Excellent service.
Nothing to complain about.
Great promotion prices

--------------------------
Update 02/14/2010
I have nothing to complain about.
It just works..
--------

Update 10/19/2009
Very stable.
Clear audio.
Very little contact with customer service.
--------

Update 04/11/2009

Since the replacement of the Grandstream, dropped registrations are a ghost of the past.

I realized I could get 1 free virtual number, which I happily now give to the credit card companies.

Customer service has been very responsive.

Keep up the good work!!

================================================

Update 03/16/2009

Had the Grandstream which kept dropping registrations which Voipo replaced with the PAP2T.

Since then, no dropped registrations, audio has been clear both directions.

There was a problem which Voipo diagnosed and reacted quickly to it.

=============================
I've been with VOIPo for about 2 months now.
Sound is very clear.
I've had a few tickets that were dealt with quickly.
Simultaneous ring is a nice new feature.

Keep up the good work!

Comments:
NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

THANK YOU!!!

I am trying this for a month to see if I like the service!!! Too chicken to put out the 200 bucks yet lol!!!

I live in the South Bronx 10451 area using optimum online Internet. I get optimum voice for 19.99 with bundled service looking to save even more $$$. I don't use my landline much but like having it around " just in case" as I live alone.

I will post a review when I receive my equipment!!
okiedoke

join:2011-12-24
Fort Lauderdale, FL

What Do You Think?

Well I hope you took the plunge; but if you didn't, it's even better now because you can get VOIPo service for $6.21 a month!

Bar far the best phone service for quality and price anywhere. I've had service for over two years and it's hands down the best I've found....anywhere!!

Don't take my word for it, check out these great deals.

NYC Girl
join:2007-02-04
Bronx, NY

I Had to cancel

After a while the service stopped working. Dropped calls and such. Voipo couldn't find a solution. What type of wireless router do you use if any?
piggygirl

join:2007-01-19
New York, NY

Re: I Had to cancel

dlink dir-655

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO

Intermittent issues here too.

Just got new Internet and things seem a bit better and issues are pointing to VOIPo.

Which adapter do you have and how is it connected to your network?

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
piggygirl

join:2007-01-19
New York, NY

Re: Intermittent issues here too.

dlink dir-655
linksys/pap2t

FarmerBob

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
Me:
Netgear WNDR3300 with dd-wrt and the PAP2T in the DMZ.

So we're pretty close in set up. So this leads me to believe that things maybe awry elsewhere than me.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Uptime is impressive"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Awsome service!"

·OlyPen, Inc.
·Wave Broadband
02/14 All quiet. everything's just been working. Going to add a number soon for our business.

11/12 All quiet. everything's just been working.

11/10 All quiet. everything's just been working.

6/19/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/25/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/4/09 Things still great here. couple small issues this week resolved quickly including one that required a datacenter move. Wow! My companies choice for a provider sure has never responded so quick and complete as issues have arisen. These guys are serious about making sure the service stays up!

To date my service from them is still rock solid. Doesn't miss a beat.

I was on the beta now for over a year. In that time I gave up the Qwest service I had that I said I would not do as I watched other voip services have so many problems. I am now a paying customer and couldn't be happier.

Since most of us started out as BYOD all that was needed was a log-in and all was set.

As a beta this service had better up time than my place of employment's chosen established provider and Still continues to be the case up till now.

The equipment that has been provided for the test now is rock solid no problems.

I'm recommending them highly!

sales@voipo.com if your interested.

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Great Voice Quality Fast Email Support"
Overall "Voipo is great"

Update 02/19/2014

Great reliability and pricing...I recommend them highly.

Update 5/30/2012

I am still with Voipo and everything is still reliable as the day I first subscribed. My internet connection is 30 meg down/3meg up. As always, your ISP needs to be reliable as your voip service.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I am new to Voipo and I am a happy customer. After using Packet 8 now 8x8 since 2005, I can already tell that Voipo is years ahead of them when it comes to support and quality of service. I will be updating this review over the next couple of weeks since I am new to Voipo. My number is scheduled to port to them on 06/09/09. I am glad to have switched so far.

Update

My number has been ported over to Voipo as scheduled. Service reliability continues to be excellent.

==============================================================

Since my last review, I can say that Voipo has maintained the great level of service and is very reliable for me. Customer service is quick to respond via email when I had questions. I can't recomend them enough.

member for 14.1 years, 6482 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bink See Profile

• Location: Castle Rock,Douglas,CO
Good "Price, unlimited calling, emailed voicemail, features, call routing, US-based support"
Bad "Generally clueless US-based support"
Overall "Great value with efforts being made to move past value brand"

I’ve been a customer for almost a year now and I can say I’m generally pleased. There were some minor hiccups during the initial install and some BYOD service consistency issues at times, but, generally, the service is good. They are also making strides to go beyond being the low cost leader and their founder goes above and beyond when it comes to online interaction. That said, I have to say the support is consistently below par. While you might get a quality support person at times—and it's great when this happens—in general, the majority of the support personnel seem lazy and nonchalant. Generally, support tickets are randomly bounced around the personnel, personnel tend not to take time to understand the history of the ticket and they don’t seem to understand their product well, and this is systemic.

So, in summary, good product, good price and hopefully your interaction with support is minimal.

member for 8.1 years, 4252 visits, last login: a few hours ago