VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Uptime is impressive"
Overall "Awsome service!"

·Wave Broadband
·Vonage
·OlyPen, Inc.
02/15 Have since moved all company lines over to them. Uptime is great. No issues whatsoever.

09/14 All quiet. Yep- still working. All our business lines have since been moved over and continue to operate flawlessly.

02/14 All quiet. everything's just been working. Going to add a number soon for our business.

11/12 All quiet. everything's just been working.

11/10 All quiet. everything's just been working.

6/19/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/25/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/4/09 Things still great here. couple small issues this week resolved quickly including one that required a datacenter move. Wow! My companies choice for a provider sure has never responded so quick and complete as issues have arisen. These guys are serious about making sure the service stays up!

To date my service from them is still rock solid. Doesn't miss a beat.

I was on the beta now for over a year. In that time I gave up the Qwest service I had that I said I would not do as I watched other voip services have so many problems. I am now a paying customer and couldn't be happier.

Since most of us started out as BYOD all that was needed was a log-in and all was set.

As a beta this service had better up time than my place of employment's chosen established provider and Still continues to be the case up till now.

The equipment that has been provided for the test now is rock solid no problems.

I'm recommending them highly!

sales@voipo.com if your interested.

Comments:

Review by bbear2 See Profile

• Location: 94045
Good "Nearly replaced landline"
Bad "Customer service with advanced users"
Overall "Have recommended VOIPO to many others"

I've been with this service for 5+ (?) years and it was the first VOIP service I ever used. This VOIP service has replaced 98% of my landline service. 1% of the issues are the internet itself or from my ISP doing stupid things. The other 1% of the service issues I would have to guess were from VOIPO. The SIP credentials they supply and ability to use them with a softphone comes in handy from time to time.

It' seems to be a very well managed company and geared towards customer service. They typically hire pretty nice tech support people. My only grip overall is that over the years, their level 1 tech support have become more cookie cutter, follow a flow chart sort of trouble shooters, rather than the ones they used to have in the earlier days. It's almost as if they moved the level 1 people up to level 2 and hired a whole bunch of green level 1s and gave them a script but little or not VOIP/networking background. What's frustrating about this is that long time, move advanced users get treated like newbies, where in fact many of us know more about VOIP than they do. And getting them to listen or even entertain the idea that we might really have identified a defect in their service and they should present it to level 2 or 3 is very frustrating at best if not impossible. It's pretty cool that their CEO (/owner?) seems to still follow this forum and is directly accessible.

The ordering process has always been spot on and straight forward. Every renewal, etc. worked 100% as expected and no issues whatsoever.

Bottom line is that I have and continue to recommend this service to all sorts of people. I feel that VOIPO can accommodate those VOIP first timers with a simple experience and provide some additional configuration / flexibility for those who want to configure or experiment a bit further with VOIP, features, and softphones, etc.

Comments:

Joe V

@verizon.net

Stay FAR away from VOIPO!!

Garbage would be a compliment for this miserable service. I was a vonage customer for years and it worked flawlessly. The only reason I left was because they did not give you the ability to block certain numbers from calling you. Voipo was a nightmare from the start. Thank God I did not pay the $150 for two years and I decided to try it for a couple of months. It NEVER worked correctly! A call would ring once and hang up, I would receive a call and it would disconnect, incredible noise, echoing, etc, etc. I spent hours with their "tech support" over 5 or 6 occasions and each time I was assured it was going to work! NOT!! I actually asked for a credit due to the inordinate amount of problems I was having. They actually tried to say that my FIOS service was the problem. Really? Then why did Vonage and Nettalk work fine??? To add insult to injury, they harass you for payment 2 days after they send the invoice!! on the third day they start threatening you with a fine and on the fifth day they FINE YOU !! Who ever heard of only having 3 days to pay an invoice??? I was fined twice!! The first time, I was on a SHIP in the middle of the ocean and paying my Voipo bill was NOT a priority and not very easily done! The second time, my father in law passed away and needless to say, I had other priorities at the time! If you do not pay the fine, they WILL NOT RELEASE YOUR NUMBER to another provider!! This company provides LOUSY, UNRELIABLE service and their policies are draconian!! STAY AWAY!! I am with Ooma now and it is fantastic! It is FREE for the basic features. I have the advanced features and pay only a few dollars more than Voipo- the UNLIKABLE phone company!!

Review by dlarkin_dc See Profile

• Location: Alexandria,Fairfax,VA
Good "Responsive customer service, great price, great features."
Bad "Occasional issues (see review)"
Overall "Amazing value, great support, but could be more reliable."

Update 1/24/15

Last fall I ran into the VOIPo adapter call quality degrading when streaming some shows on Netflix 8.3mbps HD data rate after recently upgrading my internet streaming player.

The solution to this issue (high data rate streaming breaking phone audio quality) was to move the adapter behind the router, where I also maximized the priority for the adapters port on the router. This was suggest by VOIPo tech despite trouble shooting issue over the years VOIPo had told me the best place to install the phone adapter is immediately after the modem, before the router to eliminate router-caused issues from the VOIPo service.

So, it appears... with Netflix HD and UHD streaming, the Grandstream HT-502 adapter provided by VOIPo needs to be behind the router. This brings up the tired issue of reliability versus performance.

I have another ticket open currently for call waiting not working correctly.

While I wouldn't have these issues with a landline, at 1/15th the cost I can't complain to much. I did drop the reliability rating one point.

Update 3/23/14

I know it's been available for a while but I've just started using the newly user control panel for VOIPo. The control panel, or VPanel, in VOIPo-speak allows you to log in online and manage the features and review your account. A feature rich service like VOIPo's makes for complex account management! The revised VPanel is huge improvement, simple to find what you're looking for and with plain English description of options and features when needed. Nice one VOIPo!

Otherwise...
No glitches or hiccups in the service since the last review and the call quality is always great.
I did contact support with one technical question (an ugly hardcore low-level puzzler) and they got back to me quick and with the correct info.

These guys'n'gals are clearly knocking the ball out of the park for VOIP service.

Update 10/6/2013

It's been a year? No way!

Well I have no update to report. No issues. Working fine without a hitch for a year now.

I'm still get great responses (timely and intelligent, techie/nerdy as needed) when I ask for a clarification on a services/features.

I realize now that VOIPo have changed how I see telephone service since I dropped Verizon years ago. Despite the bumps along the way.

The ratings have been upped to reflect the reliable service and solid support.

Update 12/2013

Woah! Sorry, an update is so overdue!

A serious tech issues came back in November 2012, sometimes incoming calls were immediately directed to voicemail. VOIPo worked with me and in late November updated the firmware. Since then there's been no instance of anything not working correctly.

I've update the ratings to reflect the new reliability and the support.

Update 9/21/2012

Ahhh, I'm getting so burned out on these technical issues!

Since the update to the FW I've been getting partial breakdowns every few weeks. What happens is the VOIPo servers loose the registration of my internet/phone adapter. I'm left with a dial tone and can dial out but all incoming calls go straight to VOIPo voicemail.

VOIPo have asked me to take the adapter off UPS in case dirty UPS power is causing the problem. I have plugged it into the outlet direct but the issue reccurs. My UPS logs show the power has been clean and my modem shows the ISP connection has been stable during these "events."

On their part VOIPo have been responsive to support tickets, though the responses are getting more and more terse. In response to the current issue they have changed a value in the adapter firmware that will make the adapter more tolerant of server connectivity fluctuations. Time will tell if that resolves this latest issue.

With so many good reviews of VOIPo I suspect some of these problems are ISP related, so it's not a wholely bad reflection on VOIPo... but it's just one issue after another!

Another update coming in a month, or sooner.

Update 8/9/2012

After raising another support ticket for one-sided calls (even with modem before router) VOIPo support flashed a new firmware in my phone adapter. Since then, a few weeks ago, it's been working flawlessly.

Let's hope this sticks.

Update 7/3/2012

Well , not much has changed. We're still getting one-sided calls happening. Sometimes the rate of this peaks to well over over half the calls, but usually stays lower, about 1/4th of all calls. I've also had disconnects if I'm using the mute on my phone.

Despite the perfect pricing plan that VOIPo has for my usage pattern, the service just hasn't been reliable enough to keep. I can't tell if the issue is with Cox (my ISP) or the ATA hardware, or VOIPo's service/servers but I do know VOIPo service, as responsive as it is, hasn't resolved or pin-pointed the problem.

VOIPo has fantastic plans, pricing, and features, but it just ain't reliable enough. I am shopping around now for alternatives.

Updated 1/17/12

Sorry, this is so overdue!

Been having some issues, like others in these reviews, about calls not connecting and one sided calls. This has been going on for months.

VOIPo support has been responsive to every ticket. I've been put on different VOIPo servers, had two ATA devices, ran diagnostic internet performance tests, moved devices on my LAN, setup porting/routing on my router, had call routes provisioned, traffic switched to just VOIPo servers...

But, I'm still getting call connection issues.

This may not be VOIPo's fault, there is still my Surfboard, Cox Communications ISP, and the Internet at large in the mix.

I will update again... soon.

_______________________________________________________

Had VOIPo for a year now, just renewed for another year.

Well, there's not much to say really. It works, it's reliable if your ISP, modem and router are reliable. (I'll qualify that later.)

They provide a telephone adapter, it goes after the modem/router and you plug the phone line right in, standard phone jack... and off you go.

The package I find suits me best is the 1year, it includes 60mins/month international landline calls, never any charge to any number in the US.

The fax line was additional $25/year, it works using document upload/e-mail and it works great.

Voice mail can be received in e-mail as well as accessed via the phone handset.

The online account management is great, easy to use and all the features are there. And there are tons of features there.

The support is mind-bendingly fast, informative and humane. The best I have ever, ever, experienced.

I have had infrequent trouble with my router that caused the VOIPo service to be unstable,... BUT it was 100% all in my router, not VOIPo.

Porting my old POTS number was messy because Verizon & MCI were pointing fingers at each other. Once I got them sorted out VOIPo porting was fast and easy.

If I had more then two thumbs they'd all be, "Way up!" for VOIPo.

Comments:

djrobx
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
·VOIPO

I'm having one sided call problems with VOIPo too

I'm pretty certain my equipment isn't at fault (I've changed ISPs/routers and the problem followed). I created a support ticket, they supposedly switched networks that I'm on, but no difference.

It's so hit and miss. At least if it were consistent I'd be more easily able to get tech support to fix it. Some days I can make lots of calls without any trouble, other days I have to resort to my cell phone.
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.
rnikischer

join:2002-12-28
Ottawa, IL

Having Difficulties Also

I'm really disappointed with the service. It has become unreliable. I experience the same trouble as everyone else. I have no complaints with tech support. They are responsive. I have followed their instructions for port forwarding but the intermittent problems still exist. Problems started to surface about 6 months ago. Some days I may only get 50% of the incoming calls, the rest of the time the callers - as well as on my end, will get dead air after picking up the phone when it rings. The other regular problem is calls routing to the failover number for no apparent reason. We can't all be crazy. It has to be their service. Prior to Voipo I was with Vonage and had maybe 3 service issues in 4 years. I am running out my 2 year pre-paid plan and if there is no improvement I will regrettably go elsewhere.
ke4pym
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
·Northland Cable ..
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..

Your firewall

is the problem.

I had this problem too and had to spend quite some time getting my FW and NAT rules correct. You've got to port forward most of the UDP ports directly to your adapter.

Want to really rule out your FW? Put the adapter directly on your cable modem for a few hours and see how it goes.

Once my logs were showing clean on no port blocking the one sided calling thing went away on non-in-network calls.

In-network calls were another story.

Re: Your firewall

Yep, tried all those. Different routers, port forwarding and putting the ATA after modem-before router. No difference. Plus, VOIPo have put me on different servers, updated my ATA firmware and swapped out ATAs. Still no difference.

Apart from Cox as my ISP with a SB6120 modem everything has been changed up and tried!

But tell me...
What logs are you referring to that showed no port blocking? Where was your port blocking occuring?
What is the other story about In-network calls?

TIA!
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)

Sunnyvale, CA

port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

when outgoing no-ring became a problem, VOIPo support talked me through port forwarding for my 2wire router/modem. It took under 10 minutes. Now, a few weeks later, the problem is back. Also, dialing my VM gets me a busy signal [VM emails arrive, though].

power cycling the Voipo adapter usually makes things work, but not for long. My AT&T uverse internet connection seems solid when I browse the web.

I sent another email to support after hours today.

Ultimately, reliability is more important than saving $$.
AT&T uverse voice was overpriced but reliable

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

As usual a VOIPo technician responded promptly to my email and said "I have changed the command ports your adapter is using along with updating the server your adapter connects to in order to fix the busy signal issues. Please power cycle the adapter for these changes to take affect."

I power cycled and VM now works fine.

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

That's a laugh! (and I did)

The same old routine... it gets tired after a couple of years.

Hope it sticks this time!

Re: port forwarding did not solve no-ring problem

It's been 3 weeks since the fix and all works well.

·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

The biggest problem

I biggest problem I ever had with a VOIP phone is the uplink.
1 Mbps is barely enough to support it most of the time. 2 Mbps is much better.

I firmly believe the VOIP phones work much better in large cities than it does in rural America where the Internet is not nearly as dependable.

A engineer friend in Dallas had a 3 year pre paid contract with VoipO.When it started the same problems you talk about he disconnected. Now he is using Straight Talk for home. There are some volume issue but it works.

I had Vonage. It was okay until their equipment failed 9 months into the contract. For 90 days I had a wannabe phone. It wasn't until I quit they offered to replace it. I gave them a scathing review that is now missing. .

Re: The biggest problem

1 MBPS could be enough, but if it's not stable then, yeah there's nothing you can do. The location of these service providers servers can be critical, and can directly affect stable connection speeds. I have used VOIPo's east and central servers and never had a bandwidth or jitter problem with either.

The issues I got have always been some systemic technical glitch that got fixed, eventually.

Re: The biggest problem

The only time my provider cares is when I mention my Commerce Commission. Otherwise they hope I will die or blow away.

Review by Napsterbater See Profile

• Location: Milledgeville,Baldwin,GA
Good "Reliable, BYOD/PBX, Fax to E-Mail (and vice versa)"
Overall "Great Service"

·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
Update 01-21-2015: Still not a single issue with them absolutely rock solid, I'm no longer using my own PBX and haven't for awhile.just their Linksys PAP2 ATA.

And their Fax to e-mail (and vice versa) works great as well.

Update 04-07-12: Been with them now for well over 2 years and not a single problem with them, very cheap pricing when you go for the 2yr deals they do all the time, still using my own PBX as a BYOD and zero issues.

Reliable
Allows BYOD/PBX
Virtual Numbers
Numbers available in areas others don't have.

No trouble out of them for over a year

member for 12.1 years, 4761 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KayakinMike See Profile

• Location: Alameda,Alameda,CA
Good "Sound quality is excellent, installation was easy, no problems at all"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Excellent service, great price"

My contract was coming up for renewal with ViaTalk, and I saw that VoIPo had just launched and had a great introductory rate. I read a lot of reviews from the beta testers, a lot of whom I'd rec'd trusted information from in the past, way back in the SunRocket days. With all of the unknowns with ViaTalk's new taxes associated with the renewal ($199 is really $348, etc...), I thought it was a great time to give VoIPo a try. I'm really glad I did. I signed up and decided to port my number too. When I rec'd my adapter, I plugged it in, and I was able to make calls. I did have some issues with inbound calls, which VoIPo resolved with a ticket very quickly. In fact, I've had a few tickets opened, and all were dealt with and fixed within usually one hour of submitting my ticket! My port took about one week, and I'm all VoIPo now

I would highly recommend VoIPo if you are looking for a new VoIP service. The call quality is excellent. The service from tech support is truly outstanding.

Comments:

Review by lmartin12 See Profile

• Location: Potsdam,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Super good customer service. Good price"
Bad "Problems with call completion, poor simul ring, and trouble with their adapter."
Overall "Switched to a different provider."

·Anveo
I had Voipo for my provider for over 1 1/2 years. Over all it was good. It worked most of the time. Sometimes calls to certain areas would not go through. I would call customer support and they would change "routes" and then I could call that area again for a little while. Then I would have to do it over again.

Their simul ring works only on in network calls. Some of my famliy has Voipo so simul ring would not work when they called me.

Then lately we had an audio issue with calls to and from my family that has Voipo. They tried for a few weeks to get it fixed. I decided to go shopping for something more reliable. I purchased an Obi 202. I tried Google Voice, Phone Power, Callcentric, and Anveo. While testing the different providers I decided to disconnect Voipo's adapter and put them on the Obi and it cured the audio issue. The rest of my family ditched their Voipo ATAs and are now using other ATAs. That took care of their audio issues also. They still have the other problems I listed above.

The last problem I had with them is that after porting to Anveo and canceling my Voipo account my Voipo family members could not call me. They got a busy signal every time. Other people could call me fine. Again thanks to super good customer service, I called Voipo and they fixed the problem.

member for 76 days, 75 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
snic

Same here.

I had a similar experience with VOIPO. It worked great for more than a year, then lately I had months of non-stop problems with calls not going through. It seemed like every time I called a new number, there was a good chance that it wouldn't work and a "route treatment" was required to make it work. In other words, to call new numbers I often had to contact customer service and wait at least a day for them to fix the problem. Totally unacceptable.

I canceled and switched to CallCentric, and for the past few weeks their service has been *flawless*. I hope it continues that way; if it does, I'm more than willing to pay the extra few dollars per month. I'll write a more detailed review after a few more weeks.
lmartin12

join:2014-12-19
Potsdam, NY
·Anveo

Re: Same here.

You made a wise choice. Callcentric and Anveo both seam to work every time. No more "route treatments" needed. I went with Anveo because they are a wee bit less money than Callcentric and they have more features.

Review by dev_null See Profile

• Location: Boston, MA
Good "All you can eat, one price"
Bad "Porting snafu, but resolved"
Overall "So far so good"

Recent residential move led to need for something other than a pay per minute approach (which I have for several other providers). After researching, selected VOIPO for it's $149 (+ taxes) for 2 year promo. For the price you get "unlimited" residential calling, porting, LIDB, CNAM and 911.

The only snafu was the porting. We were porting a GV number in the new area (one that we had for some time), and got the FOC date from VOIPO. But on the day after the FOC, callers were getting a "not in service" message. VOIPO claimed the number was released too early by GV, but this was the day after the FOC, so I called BS.

Tim and his team did sort it out that same day (in a matter of hours) and service since has been very good. I'm using a combo of their Grandstream device and BYOD service via my OBI-110. I actually find the call quality a little bit better on the OBI than on the GS, but I get a slight bit of latency on the OBI that doesn't seem to happen on the GS from VOIPO. So the jury is out on which approach I will take going forward.

The family doesn't notice any difference from VOIPO and their old POTS service, so that's good, really all that matters.

Now I wish that VOIPO had a way to test 911 so I could have some confidence it's set up correctly...

Update Aug 2013:

Running smoothly, updated my router which removed any connection glitches that might occur.

Still getting the occasional drop at 18 minutes (this seems to be a VOIPO thing... see other internet comments on drops between 15-19 minutes), but since this is in a non-business setting, and I am only paying 7 bucks, I'm willing to tolerate a few drops.

Still no way to test E911, hope I don't need to anytime soon.

If the renew for 2 years at the price of one is offered again, might re-up for another couple, it's been that stable.

Updated and increased my scores based on 5+ months of service.

--UPDATED JAN-2014--

As noted above, the quality and stability has been great. The occasional mysterious call drops at 18 mins have all but disappeared.

The wife and kids don't detect any difference from our old landline and we're saving a boatload of money every month.

Re-upped with the early renewal offer back in 4Q2013, I'm very satisfied, now locking in until 2017.

-- UPDATED DEC-2014 --

Still going strong. A few weeks back (Nov-2014) had a little blip that we would get a couple of rings and then dead air, while at the other end it would ring and they would answer it and get dead air. It was intermittent, so really couldn't open a ticket. But it resolved itself after about 3 days. Since this is a personal account, it was an inconvenience, nothing more. Other than that blip, no other issues to report. Trying to get my parents to drop FIOS phone and save about $30/month (mostly taxes).

Comments:

Review by snic See Profile

• Location: Harrison,Westchester,NY
Good "Used to work great; has some great features but they are pointless if the basic service doesn't work"
Bad "Have had some problems with call completion lately. Service is almost non-functional"
Overall "Not worth the aggravation"

I've had VOIPO for about 20 months now. For the first 19 months, I was an extremely happy camper. The Grandstream device arrived quickly and there were no major problems with connecting it and porting my old number over - I recall some issue that developed during set-up that was fixed within a day or two by responsive customer service. Over the ensuing months, occasionally there would be a problem with a call not completing or some issue with the person at the other end of the line not hearing me. And once in a while (less than once a month) there's no dial tone, which is immediately fixed by rebooting the Grandstream. These problems were few and far between, and the low cost and great list of features more than made up for them. I particularly like being able to blacklist an unlimited number of spam numbers by routing them to the "this number has been disconnected" message. Recently they added nomorobo support, which is great. Also, the 60 minutes of free international calling is an excellent feature as well (but beware - some numbers are not included - especially cell phone numbers in certain countries. Be sure to check before calling!)

Recently, however, I had a big problem with calls to certain (domestic) numbers not being completed. I contacted VOIPO customer service by e-mail (the only option on weekends or outside of West Coast business hours) and they typically replied within a few hours. They blamed the problem on the carrier they were routing the call through and changed the carrier. That didn't work the first time they tried it but now it seems fine. Then I had a problem with not being able to hear the other party when I called certain numbers, but that is now fixed as well (for now). I'm not sure why there has been such a proliferation of problems lately, but they have been very aggravating. VOIPO says they can't force other carriers to connect their calls, but then why did my cable company's VOIP service never, ever have this problem? And despite multiple e-mails about these problems, I have never once been offered anything to compensate me for the fact that I have paid for something that then was not delivered. The monetary compensation isn't really the issue, as the monthly cost is so low that a few days of lost service amounts to pennies. It's more that I'm annoyed at the absence of even a token of understanding that they did not provide the advertised service, and that maybe they should not simply take my business for granted.

In all, it might be a case of "you get what you pay for". VOIPO is currently among the lowest, if not the lowest-cost VOIP provider. I'd be absolutely thrilled if the last month had been like the first 19 months. I'll see how the service goes over the next few months, and if the recent problems don't recur, I'll probably renew for another 2 years. But I'm not willing to put up with constantly contacting customer service because calls won't complete.

UPDATE - just a few hours after posting this reasonably positive review, I tried to make a call to a new number and it would not go through. It worked fine from my cell phone. Customer service will probably fix this in a few hours, but at this point, that hardly matters any more. What is the point of a phone service where you regularly have to contact customer service and wait 6 hours just to place a call to a number you haven't called before? I've changed my review to very negative and will keep it that way until the service works like it's supposed to. And I'm most certainly going to cancel it if it doesn't improve. It's really too bad, as it was very good while it lasted.

UPDATE 11/1/14 - I am going to update this review every single time I have a problem with my Voipo service, until I cancel my service or the problem is fixed to my satisfaction. Today, yet again, I get the dreaded one ring and busy signal when calling a number I can reach with my cell phone.

UPDATE 11/3/14 - After another "carrier route update", the problem still isn't fixed. Dreaded one ring plus busy signal this morning, yet the number is perfectly accessible via cell phone.

UPDATE 11/10/14 - VOIPO asked me to place their device in my router's DMZ, which I did. This morning I called a number and got one ring plus busy signal yet again.

UPDATE 12/15/14 - I've continued to have problems with outbound calls not connecting, but haven't had time either to contact VOIPO about them or post here. I've decided to cancel my service and move to another voip provider.

Comments:

FarmerBob

·ViaTalk

Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I have had VOIPo for my main personal line for over 6-8 years, gotta think in two's. And as I have said here many times, there are problems inherent with any VoIP product. But although I have had and am having new installation hiccups with the Family line we just moved, that will save us $600 a year, a few hiccups are worth it. As far as service, I submitted a ticket and first got the same tech that confirmed my somewhat uncommon set up would work and it has. So he was familiar with my set up and is able to deal with it more effectively. The only major problem is that we have too many people working on this, that ticket replies are getting stepped all over. I have put things on hold and am going to let it settle for a couple of days. For a new install, that is usual.

Now a couple of weeks ago they had a provider problem that caused issues for a short time. But that's long since taken care of. So what the cause of your current issues, could be just about anything and might not have anything to do with VOIPo. If VOIPo wasn't solid, I would have never moved the family line over, nor many neighbor and friends home and business lines. It is a "mission" critical line, medical and whatnot. But mostly if it doesn't work, Grandma will have my head. Although VOIPo has a prorated refund policy, without a head, it'll do me no good.

I have been testing newer router gear for the past year and of all the things that can be really messed up, it's a VoIP line. My VOIPo line has been solid all through the mayhem. Except when a setting needs to be changed and I am on the phone and reset it and lose the line. Then that's my problem of not thinking about what I am doing or doing too many things at one time.

Most all issues I have seen with VOIPo seem to mellow out over a short amount of time. And now ones are usually third parties that they have to use to get us the product.

Yes! I am a VOIPo Fanboy, Apple and Tesla too and darn proud of it.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

I used to be quite a fan of Voipo, too. But with the recent problems, I can't reach about one out of 3 new numbers I try to dial. I've already given it a "short amount of time" (the original support ticket was created 3 weeks ago), but the problems haven't mellowed out at all. There were a few days where everything seemed back to normal, but in hindsight that is probably just because we weren't calling very much.

Finally, as for the idea that the problems "might not have anything to do with VOIPo," ummm, well, it's their service that isn't working. At one point they blamed the problem on other carriers, saying they can't force them to accept Voipo's calls. I can accept that if it happens once or twice. But for it to happen consistently means that something is fundamentally wrong. And because it means a Voipo customer can't use the Voipo service that he paid for, it most certainly is Voipo's problem.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Even these days the VoIP's have to interact with telco's, other providers and entities and they do not and don't have to play fair. That's how I lost SprintION, 1998-2002, the best Internet and telephone service ever. They decided it was cheaper to go out of business than to fight USWest at the time. And as far as them not being able to force other carriers to take their calls, they can't. No one can. That's a major problem with the FCC and our telco system. So yes to that.

I've had some issues over the past couple of days. They were gone before I could submit a ticket. It seems to go in spurtz when the telcos want to be pissy. I use to work for one and have contacts there and access to info. Have you tried another service? If you haven't, then how do you absolutely know it's VOIPo? When I had the same problems, I got Vonage for a couple of days and no problems, and we found it was a setting that was buried in my ATA that kept resetting itself that caused the problem. But if I hadn't tried another service I'd have never have known and would have never have had the proof. So until you do, I can't see how you know that it is VOIPo. WHICH, it could very well be. But there are a billion variables these days. I've had routers that would just not let any VoIP services work. There's a ton that can go wrong with you use these types of services and until it's be around and as strong as the telco's, there will be problems. And the more you yell, the more I'd yell back. Proof gets results.

I have 9 families in my areas with a minimum of 2 lines each. And due to the nature of the beast, there will are going to be problems. Even Comcast has theirs. (The worst)

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

Haha, I'm not yelling. I understand your point that there are many things that can go wrong with VOIP service. Some of them might be out of Voipo's direct control, but the bottom line is that they are charging me for a service that they are not providing. That makes all those problems Voipo's problems: if Voipo is going to sell a service, it is their absolute responsibility to make sure that it works reliably. Yes, it could be that other telcos are being "pissy". Not my problem; Voipo needs to find a way to connect to them because they are charging me money for "phone service," which by any definition means the ability to call whomever I want without having to contact customer service first. It could be that there's something wrong with my ATA. Not my problem; Voipo needs to figure it out and fix it. It could be a million things, all of which it is Voipo's responsibility to fix, and as of today it has been more than three weeks and after multiple interactions with their tech support, the problem STILL is not fixed.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

The yelling part was a "metaphor" and also a call out that it's a two-way street. You know for a fact that there is nothing on your end that could be "contributing" to this? To prove this, I got a second provider on a trial basis where their gear worked a bit differently and I found the problem. Come to find out there was a router setting that was getting in the way. Once set right, all was good.

Yeh, try your train of thought with a telco and see what they say. Yes, it is a responsibility of a provider to "provide". It's in the word. And the rules that govern this "provision" are all over the place favoring the big guys. We all know that VoIP is a fledgling industry and the telcos do not want them around. So they are going to make it difficult to do business. Even to the point that I know that the telcos have threatened third party carriers that the VoIP's need to be able to provide to you. And here it comes, BUT when going into this we all know that it's not going to be a smooth ride. That's a given with VoIP. And with that there are going to be problems.

Some friends of mine wanted VoIP, to get away from their telco, and went to Comcast. WOW! BIG mistake. Their phone barely works anymore and Comcast really doesn't care and under the rules that Comcast has to play by, they don't have to care and my friends are stuck in a contract that they have to prove that there is a problem before they can get out. And they can't because it's all on Comcast's end and the big C won't help. As soon as they can move they are coming over to VOIPo.

If VOIPo is not working for you, there's a ton of other providers out there and VOIPo has a prorated refund policy. Go take a look, maybe you'll find a provider that is exactly what you want. Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished. I know, I have been in your place a couple of times and will be again in the future. BUT I know that they will go to the ends of the Earth to work with me to fix whatever it is that goes wrong. That is within our power though. Just the other day I had to shut down a ticket because there were too many people getting involved on it. And the problem went away on it own.

Go take a look, you might be surprised to find VOIPo is just what you want. No VoIP company's perfect. No telco is perfect. But they have been at it longer, have the rules skewed in their favor and have a proven technology that VoIP is just getting together. While dodging shots across the bow.

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Sure it will. It will let prospective Voipo customers know what kind of experience I've been having, which will help them to make an informed decision. Isn't that the whole point of online reviews?

said by snic:

"Ragging on VOIPo isn't going to get anything accomplished."

Concur.

Littleton, CO
When you find the perfect VoIP provider let us know, so we all can move to it.
lmartin12

join:2014-12-19
Potsdam, NY

Re: Just ported my 2nd personal (Family) line . . .

So far Anveo works every time for me. Non of this "call route" problem.

Review by Red Hazard See Profile

• Location: O Fallon,Saint Clair,IL
Good "Reliability"
Bad "VOIPo ATA does not support home wiring. BYOD must 1st use VOIPo ATA. No outgoing CNAM. "
Overall "YMMV"

Update 11/16/2014: After waiting more than 2 years, VOIPo still does not have outgoing CNAM for my area. I opened a PhonePower account several months ago and PP DOES HAVE OUTGOING CNAM and I only pay $60/yr with the Obihai plan. Also PhonePower gives free 60 mins/mo to almost all all S. Korea phone numbers while VOIPo only provides free 60 mins to land-line phone numbers and charges 9 Cents/min for Korean mobile numbers- -among the highest in the VOIP industry. Accordingly I have downgraded the Value for money rating.

_____________________________________________________

Update 7/12/2014: Service still remains stable but there was an ~8 min disruption since my last update. Having another account with PhonePower for 3 months now and being familiar with their web-site, I am going to raise the VOIPo web-site rating from 50 to 75 as I find it superior to PP's but think it's a bit busy.

_____________________________________________________

Update 06/02/2014: Service still remains stable. I'll probably be recommending to our local American Legion Post to switch their business POTS line ($100/month) to VOIPo. The money saved will pay for the internet service and a bonus of WIFI to increase business.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/28/2013: Service still remains stable. I'm downgrading the "Ease of Installation" to mediocre due to 2 issues I discovered after switching to the OBi202 using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard. 1. The registration renewal interval was 60 seconds and not the standard 3600 (1 hour) interval (BTW VOIPo's ATA was 3600) and I did not want to add more bloating toward my internet cap. I had to get help changing to 3600 and the directions are now in the DSLreports VOIP Tech Chat Forum (search: OBIHAI Registration Interval with VOIPo). 2. The voice mail stutter tone notification was defaulted to disable with the installation wizard even though VOIPo provided ATAs have it enabled (at least mine, an HT502, did). It took me a while to figure out how to enable it with the OBi202. I posted directions on the VOIPo site in the Home & Home Office VoIP forum, but regrettably all my posts were subsequently expunged, presumably unintentionally. So you'll have to figure that one out though its not difficult.

_____________________________________________________

Update 08/29/2013: Service still remains reliable. I recently upgraded to a BYOD OBi202 due to sporadic OSD of CID/CNAM info from a DirecTV HR24 STB. It now displays consistently probably due to the 1 ampere power supply as compared to the HT502/702's 0.5 ampere power supplies. This was the only issue I had with the HT-702 used for the past ~9 months. Also the OBI installation went very smooth using the OBI-VOIPo pre-configured installation wizard and took only a few mins. Accordingly the Ease of Installation rating has been upgraded.

_____________________________________________________

Update 12/02/2012: I was able to register my BYOD ATA after determing that the DIR-655 B1 router, after F/W 2.07 and 2.10 updates and maybe 2.01, mandates that ALG SIP be ENABLED in order to register in the BYOD configuration. I verified this with a Grand Stream HT502 and HT702.

_____________________________________________________

Update 11/15/2012: Service has been very stable. If I had to make a SWAG, I would guess that the previous reported problems had something to with asymetrical registration that now is no longer an issue. However Voipo support indicated that I needed t purchase another ATA which was wrong, but I must admit that I also thought the ATA was faulty (though I knew it was not my CAT 5e wiring causing that "issue"). O/A 10/13/2012 I updated the firmware of the DIR-655 from version 2.00 to 2.07 and I think that increased the reliability as occasionally numbers had to be re-dialed and that is no longer a problem. Accordingly, the reliability rating has been changed to max.

______________________________________________________

Update 10/2/2012: I give up. The VOIPo HT-502 is now working properly and is in it's initial physical/electrical configuration. Since the service is working properly and has been recently reasonably reliable, I am upgrading my review to reflect this fact for the past 2-3 weeks. Also the comments from Tim indicated that they do support BYOD (at least the same ATAs they issue) required my BYOD non-support comment to be removed. (Their site needs to be upgraded regarding BYOD IMO). I have ordered a phone line compatible multimeter for checking the ringing current, currently in the mail, and will take measurements if the ringing problem returns. FWIW, the ATA is powered by an APC HS-500 UPS.

______________________________________________

Update 09/12/2012: This morning my 2-line desk phone rang on FXS 2 while FXS 1 was on-hook. I checked VOIPo VPanel and noted under Devices that only FXS 2 was registered which I fixed with an ATA reboot. With both ports registered, I then verified incoming calls would ring on FXS 1 first and then left it off-hook to see if FXS 2 would ring. It did, but still has the weak ringing current symptom. This definitely has to be a VOIPo HT-502 issue. Why was the FXS 2 ringing current OK when FXS 1 was not registered? I dread contacting VOIPo support after their "home wiring causing the ringing problem" diagnosis.

_______________________________________________________

Update 09/10/2012: This is bizarre. The VOIPo HT-502 now rings on FXS 1 as it should (good ringing current and rings first when both lines on-hook). However, if FXS 1 is off-hook, FXS 2 attempts to ring but ringing current is too weak to even ring a single phone with a REN of 0.1. This is vice versa from the problem that initially occurred (I use the USOC color code for Cat5 and FXS 1 port is back on the blue pair). This does however prove once again that my home wiring is not causing the ringing issue. With my bad experience using VOIPo support, I am reluctant to try again and need to make sure the problem does not reverse again because my base station phone has several wireless phones throughout the house that are primary usage and currently on FXS 1.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/28/2012: Attempted to use my own device (PAP2T this time) with the same results as my HT-502. Incoming calls work fine on both lines but outgoing calls more often than not result in a fast busy. When I look at the simple instructions of other VOIP providers that encourage or require BYODs, the setup looks simple. However, there must be some tricky BYOD settings that VOIPo requires and I don't know the secret handshake. So I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

___________________________________________________________

Update 8/19/2012: Essentially no change. I attempted using my own HT-502 and incoming calls rang fine on both lines. However, outbound calls consistently received a fast busy. I have something incorrect in the advanced settings and am unable to find help on the internet. I am back using VOIPo's ATA with line 1 still having ringing problems.

_________________________________________________________

Update 8/2/2012: No change. I probably will go the BYOD route if I can find some known good settings for VOIPo service on the internet for my owned HT-502 and empirically prove that my home wiring did not cause any problems. Since I no longer have an operable cloned second line, I am knocking off another point for value.

________________________________________________________

After 6 months, Line 1 of HT502 stopped working and calls started coming in on Line 2. Determined Line 1 had weak ringing current. Went to VOIPo chat for help. Advised that my house is wired with Cat5e and uses a DMT-16 Telephone Distribution Module. Was told by VOIPO that I HAD TO CONNECT MY PHONE DIRECTLY TO THE ATA. VOIPo tech said they DO NOT support home wiring. They claimed my home wiring degraded their used HT502 and wanted $50 to send me another one. I have 3 phones connected with a total REN of 0.3. If I had connected a single dial phone (REN 1.0) directly to their ATA, meeting VOIPO installation requirements, the load would be more than 3X than what I have now. Saying my home wiring degraded their used ATA does not support the common sense test.

Currently I am using HT502 Line 2, which behaves like Line 1 did previously, and have Line 1 disconnected as I do not want to spend $50 to replace their defective, used ATA. How do I know the next one would not also malfunction before my contract expires and get stuck with another $50 charge 2 or 3 times more if history is an indicator? Also, the HT502 supports a REN up to 3.0 which indicates that it is designed to support a number of extensions thus requiring home wiring with a bridging arrangement. Further, on the Grandstream internet site, in the HT502 user manual on page 11 of 50, Figure 2, it SHOWS 3 PHONES CONNECTED TO LINE 1 AND ANOTHER 3 ON LINE 2 JUST LIKE MY CONFIGURATION!! That's the final commentary on VOIPo policy and tech support.

Comments:

trommel

@verizon.net

Great Choice

I just switched from another "voice over" provider to Voipo and was amazed at how easy the set up was. Voice quality is excellent and I think the calls go through faster...no echoes and no dropped calls...What more could you ask for?
I did have one minor glitch with the # of ports on the voice modem but they took care of that right away so I can actually call them the friendly phone company just as they describe themselves.
I signed up for the two year package for a total of $165, including all fees and taxes for both years, unlike my other provider who hit me up with additional fees and taxes at the start of the second year.
Of course only time will tell but I have a really good feeling about my switch to Voipo!
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Irvine, CA

VOIPo

I'm the owner of VOIPo and have seen your review in several places. Sorry to hear that you are frustrated with our service.

As you've stated, our support team determined that the device was damaged by house wiring and should be replaced.

We offer free replacements for devices that fail, but unfortunately we are not able to offer free replacements for devices that are damaged due to something like household wiring.

Since the device was damaged due to household wiring and this is not covered by our replacement policy, we offered a replacement device for $49.95 which you declined.

I do understand that you feel we should replace the device for free, but unfortunately we're not able to do that since it would not have been damaged if it had not been connected to household wiring.

At this time based upon the information that I have, it seems that everything has been handled in accordance with our policies and support handled all of your issues appropriately.

I notice you keep updating this review quite often (many times without any changes) so I'm not sure if this is being done to draw attention to it or if you have other issues with VOIPo that makes you frustrated with our company. If you would like to move your service to another provider, I can certainly make sure you get a full prorated refund since it seems like you have an unusual amount of frustration here.

As a gesture of goodwill, I would be willing to issue a replacement at our cost to meet you in the middle if that is something you are interested in. We could also provision any Grandstream ATA that you have if you'd like to purchase your own elsewhere.

If there is something I am missing or something that wasn't handled properly and in accordance with our policies, feel free to e-mail me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you and get things resolved. Similarly if you'd like to take up my offer to provision a third-party device or buy one at our cost, just send me an e-mail.

Best Regards,

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

Re: VOIPo

With the detailed symptoms I have reported, I do not understand how anyone can conclude my Cat5e home wiring is causing the problems I am having with your HT-502. I also note that most customers use their home wiring, according to my research, without problems. My updates show the different configurations I have tried and the changing symptoms I have incurred. There is only one update that only indicated "no change" AND in that, I indicated troubles finding the required advanced settings for MY BYOD HT-502. I therefore don't understand the comment about updates being "many times without any changes".

What I do not understand is why when problems started initially, port 1 would not ring properly and now it does and port 2 now has the problems port 1 had (weak ringing current symptom). They were on the same blue pair when they "failed" and port 1 is now working properly on that same cable pair. This does not indicate a hardware electrical issue to me. I am going to experiment more with different phones directly connected to your HT-502 before I take you up on your offer to let me use my HT-502 and have your tech folks provide the correct advanced setting that have alluded me. FWIW, if my HT-502 fails within a year (not just 6 months) using the same wiring configuration, I'll gladly pay the $50 for damages and document the results here.
VOIPoTim
join:2006-06-06
Irvine, CA

Re: VOIPo

said by Red Hazard:

For BYOD, we don't really require any special settings. If you own another 502 and want us to provision it we can do so without locking you out of the device (we'd just put whatever password you want in the provisioning file). Maybe that would work so you could compare our settings to what you use? Then if you want to stop using our provisioning, you just remove our provisioning URL from the device. Just e-mail me if you wanted to do this (include the MAC address) and I'll get it setup and send you back the provisioning URL to put in the device.

I'm not really a technical guy so I'm not going to get into technical details of the troubleshooting that's already been done. I have to defer to our tech guys for that.

I'm more than happy to try to help you out though as outlined above either with provisioning your personal device or meeting you in the middle on the replacement policy.

E-mail me at tim @ voipo.com if you want to discuss either of those of if there's something I'm missing where our techs didn't handle things without policy.

Timothy Dick
Founder/CEO

·VOIPO

Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Hi Red,

I've recently been plagued with the same problem of the adapter un-registering from VOIPo's servers the last couple of months. That you see it too makes me thing it's some new bug between servers/adapters, or prone to fluctuations in ISP service.

FWIW - VOIPo have changed some values in my adapter to address this issue, though that testing is ongoing. The items changed were the "registration cycle" and/or the "Registration Expiration."

Might be worth having VOIPo try those to see if they help you.

Dave
Cox Preferred HSI 12/5~SB6120~Grandstrem HT502~FVS318G~WAP54G
OTA (...and proud of it!)

O Fallon, IL

Re: Having same issue of de-regiserting adapter...

Thanks for your help but the registration issue seems to be OK now. I've checked VPanel over a dozen times the past 2 weeks or so and no longer see that issue (?)

·DIRECTV
·TracFone Wireless

I am glad you addressed some of the problems. I've kicked around the idea of VoIPo and decided against it based on a couple of things. [1] The owner's unhelpful reply to you, [2] my own unhappy experience with the failure of the Vonage telephony device after 9 months, and [3] the low uplink provided by both my cable and my ISP. This is phone duopoly sharing the same plant and the same fiber to the same communities..

The truth is the 1Mbps uplink really does not buy much in voice quality in Rural America-- regardless what the device is called, ow how it worlds. In my case I have a choice of 4/1 VoIP over cable, or the 10/1 ADSL phone over copper the company incorrectly calls POTS.

In either case when I can make a call that is clear and error free, it is wonderful. But when I can't it is worse than horrible. There is a warning here, too. LifeLine does not work over all house phones and neither does e911..

It is silly that I must buy a cell phone to place a call when the VoIP and ADSL POTS phones fail. FCC licenses US phone companies; they should work with no excuse except storm damage.

Review by piggygirl See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Very good service as usual"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Nothing to really complain about--still"

Updated: 11/29/2014
Renewed for another 2 years.
Service has been top-notch.
Keep up the good work
----------------------------------
Updated: 02/24/2014
Great service since 2008
------------------------------------
Updated: 01/28/2013
Still no complaints
Phone rings when it's supposed to
Calls still clear.
-----------------------------------
Update: 06/10/2012
Had them since 2008
No complaints. Calls are clear. No dropped calls.
No reason to contact customer service.
I think my favorite option is the filtering. The only way to deal with telemarketers.
The amount of money saved over Verizon land line has been the major plus.
Keep up the good work.
---------------------------------------
Update: 12/22/2011
Had them for about 3 years now.
No complaints. Calls are clear.
No reason to contact customer service.
It just works.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---
Update: 08/09/2011
Still having excellent service
Still nothing to complain about

-----------------------------
Update: 12/11/2010
Excellent service.
Nothing to complain about.
Great promotion prices

--------------------------
Update 02/14/2010
I have nothing to complain about.
It just works..
--------

Update 10/19/2009
Very stable.
Clear audio.
Very little contact with customer service.
--------

Update 04/11/2009

Since the replacement of the Grandstream, dropped registrations are a ghost of the past.

I realized I could get 1 free virtual number, which I happily now give to the credit card companies.

Customer service has been very responsive.

Keep up the good work!!

================================================

Update 03/16/2009

Had the Grandstream which kept dropping registrations which Voipo replaced with the PAP2T.

Since then, no dropped registrations, audio has been clear both directions.

There was a problem which Voipo diagnosed and reacted quickly to it.

=============================
I've been with VOIPo for about 2 months now.
Sound is very clear.
I've had a few tickets that were dealt with quickly.
Simultaneous ring is a nice new feature.

Keep up the good work!