VOIPO page on DSLReports

Review by Redwolf See Profile

• Location: Hot Springs National Park,Garland,AR
Good "Voice quality"
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Awesome service and features for the price"

·Cablelynx
Have had an ATT Wireless Home Phone 2 years and was tired of the price and quirks with it. Finally decided to try an VOIP phone service. I settled on VOIPo because the price was right and the simple ordering process.

The Grandstream HT 701 arrived in a few days. Hooked it up and was off and running with a temporary number while waiting on my port to complete.

Think it has been about 2 weeks since port was complete. Smooth sailing so far, I find the voice quality to be outstanding and can find no downside to making the switch. The failover feature for when my power or ISP are out is great (I have already tested it).

I will update later as necessary.

Comments:

Review by fbruno See Profile

• Location: Berwyn,Chester,PA
Good "Decent service at a good price. Tech support is responsive. Allows BYOD"
Bad "Occasional outages on BYOD service"
Overall "I'm happy with it."

--October 2014--

I have been with VOIPo since January 2013 when Quantumvoice terminated residential service. VOIPo was selected because they had a decent price, BYOD in the monthly fee, and the easiest technical setup.

Their offer was 24 months for $149, plus $36 in fees and taxes.There is an additional yearly fee of $36 for a second virtual number. Both numbers seamlessly ported from Quantumvoice in four days.

I use the VOIPo provided ATA for the hardwired kitchen phone and cordless base station, and my Linksys SPA phones for the BYOD terminals.

The service on the ATA is solid, with exceptionally rare outages. The BYOD service is less stable, with occasional short outages of minutes or hours.

The forums and tech support resources have been sufficient for answering questions and supporting configuration needs. I especially value the reduction in telemarketing calls provided by their Telemarketer Block and recently introduced support of the Nomorobo service. I have also used their softphone support for occasional calls from my iPhone.

Comments:

Review by rjbasye See Profile

• Location: Dry Ridge,Grant,KY
Good "Great Voice Quality Fast Email Support"
Overall "Voipo is great"

Update 09/27/2014

Service has been rock solid. No problems at all I would recommend Voipo to anyone who has good internet provider.

Update 02/19/2014

Great reliability and pricing...I recommend them highly.

Update 5/30/2012

I am still with Voipo and everything is still reliable as the day I first subscribed. My internet connection is 30 meg down/3meg up. As always, your ISP needs to be reliable as your voip service.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

I am new to Voipo and I am a happy customer. After using Packet 8 now 8x8 since 2005, I can already tell that Voipo is years ahead of them when it comes to support and quality of service. I will be updating this review over the next couple of weeks since I am new to Voipo. My number is scheduled to port to them on 06/09/09. I am glad to have switched so far.

Update

My number has been ported over to Voipo as scheduled. Service reliability continues to be excellent.

==============================================================

Since my last review, I can say that Voipo has maintained the great level of service and is very reliable for me. Customer service is quick to respond via email when I had questions. I can't recommend them enough.

member for 14.4 years, 6599 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by intel1212 See Profile

• Location: Henderson,Clark,NV
Good "Great support, communications from VoIPo, call quality, steady - consistent service"
Overall "Great price, Great tech support when needed. BEST value for service and features, period....."

·Cox HSI
UPDATE: 9/27/2014

Still satisfied. Works well, though between myself and family, probably use less and less because everyone is carrying a Smartphone now. When I do use, just works. They have added support for broader SIP client support, which I have used from my laptop over LTE or WiFi and then use a Bluetooth headset connected to laptop. Website has improved for feature management. No question, worth the money, great value, great product.

UPDATE: 12/4/2013

Great service. Very satisfied. Would like to see new features, e.g. soft client or mobile device SIP support (and is probably available today with 3rd party apps). Click to dial would be a great option as well. I recently change routers and did have to configure port forwarding on new router to work correctly.

UPDATE: 7/11/2013

Continued my service for another 2 years -- $159 for two years, so about $6.65 per month!! Unlimited calling/LD. Really do not use the service much as everyone in the house uses cellular services now. However, when I do use the service -- always works. Still Highly Recommend this service.

UPDATE: 1/16/2012

Continued my service for another year due to another great year of reliable, consistent service. I want my dial tone to be a "non-issue". Excellent service, call quality has exceeded my expectations. I receive high value for the amount I pay. I continue to HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

Update: 6/25/2011.

Continued my service. Excellent service, call quality is very, very good. I will say, as I used vanilla Tomato (on a Linksys router), Tomato USB variant has made this service ROCK SOLID -- i.e. it can recover automatically from any network glitches. This is the overall, best value for Voip services -- period. All other complaining must have a technical problem, which the Voip consumer industry, as a whole, must just deal with. HIGHLY RECOMMEND this service.

UPDATE: 7/29/2009.

Service continues to be excellent. Issues seen during late 2008/early 2009 are history. If you plan to use Tomato or DD-WRT, expect to have to modify some settings to handle a router reboot. I run Tomato and found I had to make modifications to UDP packet timeouts, with the excellent help from the VoipO support team (and help from Wireshark).

Clearly the best service/value combination I have found. Couple things people need to understand. If you need to fax -- get a POTS line from your local, traditional provider for 'basic lifeline services', add a dial-around plan for LD calls. Don't even think you can get by with faxing on Voice over IP service -- if you can, consider yourself lucky. If you can't, and you complain, you are simply a fool. Lastly, make sure you have a clean network at home. I recommended VoipO service to a few people and a couple of them had problems. I personally looked into their problems and found they had packet loss on their local network because of bad cables. Garbage in gets Garbage out.

Original Post:

Very good service for the price level paid. Genuine concern for their customers. Excellent communication by management to customers. Problems are resolved fast when encountered. Excellent call quality.

Comments:

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV

Faxing over VOIP??

Don't know what this VOIP vendor is doing to prevent/hinder faxing, but I regularly fax, both send and recieve, over Vonage with absolutely zero problems..
Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO

Mobile Device SIP Support

You mentioned this—and I’ve been satisfactorily using VOIPo with the SIP client built into my Android phone for almost two years now.

dfrandin
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
·Virpus.com

Thanks to these reviews...

Based on these reviews, I just signed up with Voipo. Had been with Vonage for several years, but was looking for the ability to blacklist phone numbers, as we have had some problems with some callers. I was VERY pleased with all of the calling features that Voipo has. The number port from Vonage went flawlessly in about 4 days, and the provided Grandstream ATA went right in, replacing the Vonage ATA..
My ONLY concern was upon reading that they "prohibit" connection of their leased ATA to the house phone wiring. Since I had disconnected my wiring at the demarc, and had been using Vonage in this manner with 4 phones in the house, I wanted to clarify this with their support. Turns out the word "prohibit" was a bit strong.. It was clarified that they simply do not support the use of the house wiring.. Other than that, I'm a happy customer..

Review by chpalmer See Profile

• Location: Bremerton,Kitsap,WA
Good "Uptime is impressive"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "Awsome service!"

·Vonage
·OlyPen, Inc.
·Wave Broadband
09/14 All quiet. Yep- still working. All our business lines have since been moved over and continue to operate flawlessly.

02/14 All quiet. everything's just been working. Going to add a number soon for our business.

11/12 All quiet. everything's just been working.

11/10 All quiet. everything's just been working.

6/19/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/25/09 All quiet. everything's just been working.

4/4/09 Things still great here. couple small issues this week resolved quickly including one that required a datacenter move. Wow! My companies choice for a provider sure has never responded so quick and complete as issues have arisen. These guys are serious about making sure the service stays up!

To date my service from them is still rock solid. Doesn't miss a beat.

I was on the beta now for over a year. In that time I gave up the Qwest service I had that I said I would not do as I watched other voip services have so many problems. I am now a paying customer and couldn't be happier.

Since most of us started out as BYOD all that was needed was a log-in and all was set.

As a beta this service had better up time than my place of employment's chosen established provider and Still continues to be the case up till now.

The equipment that has been provided for the test now is rock solid no problems.

I'm recommending them highly!

sales@voipo.com if your interested.

Comments:

Review by matthias8 See Profile

• Location: San Bruno,San Mateo,CA
Good "call quality, reliability, new VPanel"
Bad "nothing, really"
Overall "it's cheap, and it works."

It's been a year since I signed up with Voipo. I am using the service with the adapter they provide and a plain old wireless phone. I also use it with a Bria 3 softphone under Windows 8. Either way works fine.

At the time I signed up, I was debating whether to choose Ooma, instead. But Voipo has a few nice features that would have cost more with Ooma (in included 2nd line and 60 minutes of international calls included per month, most importantly). The hurdle was that with Voipo I had to sign up for 2 years in advance. Thinking back, I think that seeing their CEO respond to criticisms on this board (he still does that - amazing!) is what gave me confidence to try them out. Anyway, I am glad I did sign up. The billing has always been correct, the setup has been straight-forward, and the service is reliable. To me, that's what this is about. At a time, where more and more of my calls are done through the cell phone, I just want the landline to be cheap and hassle-free. Voipo is that. I also tested Vonage before signing up with Voipo. Vonage call quality was outstanding. Their customer service is fantastic. But their bill is also 4 times as high.

Since signing up, the Voipo service has also seen some improvements. They have redesigned the account control panel. and it does look much more professional, now. And new (free!) features were introduced: Integration with Nomorobo to ward off unwanted sales calls, for example. And a free iNum phone number to make no-cost international calls with subscribers of other IP phone services.

For me, Voipo just hits the spot.

Comments:

Review by macaholic See Profile

• Location: Jackson Heights,Queens,NY
Good "The service itself once setup is solid. quiet on the telemarketer front. unlike timewarner. "
Bad "phone device is not upnp, customer service is off weekend and has email service only"
Overall "would be better with more CS and upnp devices. "

Good so far. Did not do number transfer because somehow my number while at Time Warner became tainted. Lots of marketing. Word to the wise. Make the primary number your cell number and use your new voipo number for the quiet family only knows phone. Works great. Price is total 135 + 50 fee/ 12 .

The 2 year folks pay less for sure but I want to try this out before the full commitment.

Main issue. The Voipo folks send out a non upnp compliant adaptor. This is why if you have a router you MUST read the provided instructions sent with the device (if they print it.. it's for a reason. m-kay? ) and set your router according to that:

1. assign a static ip for the voipo device mac address.
2. forward 5004-65000 UDP bi-directional to that ip address.

If Voipo could figure out how get these babies flashed to be upnp which talks with your router so you don't have to do all the above nonsense yourself. Or they get a supply of upnp phone adaptors for new folks. They would be perfect. Otherwise you need a network geek in the house or be prepared to relinquish control to voipo tech support.

Minor peeve: time for a control panel beautification project. Perhaps an app?

Comments:

topgun

·PHONE POWER

That is not enirely true!

You can put the adapter behind the DMZ although I have not had any problems with it just plugging it in and leaving it alone. Or use this software like I do with many clients just to make life easier for then and me. »portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

FYI I have talked to the CEO they made they Cpanel the way they did for a reason. Beautiful means more load time, not as straightforward, and ends looks up looking cluttered. JMHO if you want eye candy play Bejeweled?
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody
macaholic
join:2003-08-31
Jackson Heights, NY

Re: That is not enirely true!

dmz is same thing. you still need to put the device on a statiic pre-assigned ip. DMZ to this device is a bit overkill. And using third party software to do the settings... uhm no. That should be provided by the company. Your post makes my other point clear.... for now this service is for geeks only. Other folks will have to muddle through.

get a upnp device.

the website can still be its simplistic self... the left navigation is where some real thought needs to happen. Too much pecking to figure out where things are.
"You don't subject minority rights to a referendum." Justice Minister Irwin Cotler of Canada

Re: That is not enirely true!

Looks pretty simple to me My friend who is not a techie had it figured out within 10 minutes. To each their own.
I got the need for speed »bit.ly/topgunparody
macaholic
join:2003-08-31
Jackson Heights, NY

Re: That is not enirely true!

"My friend who is not a techie had it figured out within 10 minutes. "

good for them. still a fugly navigation.

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV
·Callcentric

Why are you having to forward so many ports to your ATA?

You should not need to forward any ports at all for VOIPO service to work.
And, you don't need UPNP to make it work, either.

The outbound registration your device makes should be enough to have VOIPO do the NAT hole punching for you.

I don't know what instructions that VOIPO sent you, but those can't possibly be right. If you are making an outbound registration your device should be able to communicate to VOIPO what ephemeral port to use for RTP (and especially the same for incoming calls).

UPNP is a Microsoft invention, and is not meant to be used on the WAN side in place of port forwarding. It is supposed to be for internal network use only because it has no authentication at all.

Have you checked with VOIPO support to see if their ATA supports the STUN protocol (and has a STUN server defined)?

In the absence of session border controllers STUN should provide the requisite NAT help that VoIP needs to connect properly.
I have Callcentric service, and I have never needed to forward ports.

Review by topgun See Profile

• Location: Plattsburgh,Clinton,NY
Good "Awesome Support Reps, Great Call Quality, CEO invovlment in forums, Price"
Bad "It's not Free :D"
Overall "Solid budget phone service that will fit 99% peeps needs. :)"

·PHONE POWER
Ordered the 2 year promotion on 8-20-14 the adapter arrived from Cali to NY on Sat the 23rd. Talk about fast! My friend Marguerite was having problems with PhonePower. We did everything we could from putting adapter in DMZ, SIP ALG was off, etc. Apparently the route calls take through Fairpoint then over to Cali is horrible? Other people in the forums have experienced the same issues. They were awesome helping as much as they could but I needed to try another VoIP company to help with the process of elimination.

Went over to see Marguerite on Sunday with my friend Mary and brought the HT-702 with me from VoIPo. It was as easy as unplugging 4 cables from the old adapter and plugging 2 of them back into the new adapter along with power from the included adapter. Within a couple of minutes she had dial tone and the rest is history.

Put in for a number port on Monday and got a port date that Wednesday for the following Monday. September 1st (my birthday) came and went but on a positive note her number ported without a hitch sometime in the early morning. Here is the form for anyone that needs it »www.voipo.com/Porting.pdf

Call quality has been awesome and so far no hiccups that either one of us has noticed in reliability. Only thing I would suggest doing ASAP in Device Control is turning down the gain. Most headsets are capable of cranking up the volume loud enough to blow your ears out. By default it is set to Extremely High maybe it is to compensate for all the old ladies using VoIPo? Anyway, I first experienced the static\echo they described when playing back a voice-mail. Went into the Cpanel really quick and nuked it to normal and that was that.

CEO is one of the nicest peeps you would ever want to meet. He offered to help me out of a possible jam without me knowing until he emailed me. Although phone support hours are not as broad as PP their email support is manned 24\7 and is very fast (within hours) to reply.

Both are excellent choices depending on what your needs are. Variety is the spice of life and would encourage anyone who sees this review to compare both of them and make an educated decision based on your needs.

member for 3.7 years, 568 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Henderson

join:2014-09-21
New London, CT

Great call quality

Thank you for sharing this information.

Re: Great call quality

My pleasure

Review by ivansjunk1 See Profile

• Location: North Babylon,Suffolk,NY
Good "cheap, at least for a while"
Bad "bad service, bad equipment, bad customer service and mediocre service"
Overall "not worth it! Look elsewhere."

I've had voip phone service for the past 10+ years. Nothing is perfect but this one takes the cake. Paid $149 for 2 years and put up with the mediocre service because it was cheap and was using as secondary house line. Before the 2 years were up, noticed a charge on my CC for $199. Researched and found it to be an UNREQUESTED renewal for a year. Tried calling several times but they are in Cali and Iam in NY so it was hard to get anyone to talk to for awhile. In the mean time, the service stopped working.. After many calls, emails and reading on troubleshooting, it looks like the adapter (piece of crap) finally gave up. They say they can replace, for $50. the thing is 2+ years old, worth $10 new on eBay but they want $50!!! I call to cancel and request refund but they say that the refund will offset the price of their old equipment. AVOID THIS COMPANY!! Crappy service, Crappy equipment, Crappy customer service and only care about taking your money!!

Comments:

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

VOIPo is great...

For what it is. Cheap phone service.

I've had them for many years. A few issues here and there, but customer service has been fantastic and has resolved every issue. They are responsive and competent.

My primary service is with another provider who offers far more features, but they also are not as cheap. I keep VOIPo as a backup and primarily use them when I know an outbound call is going to last for more than 10 minutes (unlimited outbound).

I highly recommend buying a voip phone, and not an ATA. The Panasonic KX-TGP550 (or 551) is awesome.

Unhappy

@50.121.98.x

Re: VOIPo is great...

I just experienced the same thing as ivansjunk1. Won't be using this company nor referring others to it in the future. I have no way of getting to my equipment to obtain it let alone get it back to them and they said my account will not be cancelled until I do and they are charging me the $49.50 fee. BEWARE!!! All nice until you go to drop the service. My advice to anyone that has signed up discontinue the charge card you originally signed up under otherwise they will automatically bill you for the next year and for the equipment.

ctaranto

join:2011-12-14
MA

2 recommendations

Re: VOIPo is great...

Did they provide you a pre-configured ATA *for free* when signing up? If so, then don't you think cancelling the service warrants them to want it back to give to a new subscriber? I already gave them back their ATA as I ended up buying my own.

Also, if you have phone service and don't renew, your phone service, *and number*, will be cancelled. Personally, I wouldn't be pleased if my primary phone number was lost because I forgot to renew phone service.

Red Hazard
join:2012-07-21
O Fallon, IL
·VOIPO
To the OP: Thanks for the "heads up". I'll be sure to port my number about 30 days B4 my contract expires. $199/yr for my light usage (under 300 mins/month) is excessive and far more than what I am paying now ($185/2 yrs).

And regarding the VOIPo ATA, I'll mail it back at least 3 months B4 contact end as I am BYOD and I never liked their GS502 but need it if I loose my BYOD registration password.
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

VOIPO

Hello,

Sorry to hear your weren't happy with your service.

Since our service is subscription based, it's automatically renewed until cancelled.

In terms of equipment, we provide the adapter for free for using during your subscription, but it must be returned to us if you cancel service.

We try to be as fair and reasonable as possible. If you don't feel like something was handled fairly or in accordance with our policies, please contact me directly at tim @ voipo.com and I'll be happy to look into it for you.

Thank you for your past business and good luck with your new provider.

Best Regards,

join:2000-12-21
Littleton, CO
·EarthLink
·ViaTalk

Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

I have been with VOIPo since their early days and have moved many people over to them. Every so often there are issues that are inherent to anything that is Internet based. The price you can't beat. The features, as few as they may be, they have are great and allow you to do all kinds of incredible things. The previous company (ViaTalk) I was with had some great toys, but horrible phone service. VOIPo, in time I hope will have more toys, but up front has great phone service.

Tech Support has been the best I have ever encountered. I have an issue or any of the many people that I have brought over, submit a ticket online and within 10-15 minutes I have contact, if not the answer to the problem. Then a couple days later I get and eMail asking if I am OK. WOW! Sometimes I think I'm having problems and all of a sudden it's gone, making me wonder if there was one at all. Later I read somewhere that there was an issue and it was found and dealt with immediately without me having to do anything. They are on the ball all the time. Their up time has been great. Other companies I have dealt with didn't even know what the term meant.

AND if I have had an issue, that a few were on my end, they started looking on their end first. Then if it were traced to me, we dealt with it. But they start on their end. The first time this happened to me I wasn't sure how to handle myself. Everywhere else, it's all your fault, it's your hardware, it's the way you were standing, ballet poses, that made the problem and you need to fix it. Even though they know the issue is on their end (ISPs).

With VOIPo, you can't go wrong. If there are reasons that you think that you need to go elsewhere, then it is your problem not theirs.

Oh, P.S., VOIPoTim, the CEO has some insane amount of posts online helping anyone that needs it, just like he posted here. At one time I swear I saw a number under his avatar somewhere and it was like over a billion posts to his credit. Now that's customer service.
VOIPoTim
VOIPo.com
join:2006-06-06
Newport Beach, CA

Re: Best VoIP Service I have had the pleasure to use ever . . .

Thank you! I really appreciate you (and everyone else too of course) posting. It's always nice to see positive feedback. We really do try to provide the best service we can at the budget pricepoint and work very hard to do it so it's always nice to get feedback that our effort is paying off.

Thank you for your business!

said by FarmerBob:

Review by PCInTech See Profile

• Location: Massena,Saint Lawrence,NY
Good "Full featured, reliable calls, knowledgable staff"
Bad "none yet"
Overall "as good as it gets for a good price"

I've been through quite a few providers, and was with my last for 10 years. However, they seemed to be paying less attention to small residential users, like my previous provider of several years as well, so I went shopping for another service that provided equally stable service and similar full features. I came upon VOIPo through recommendations here in the forums. Boy, am I glad I did! Not only am I saving money, but I'm getting an even better service than before. The Grandstream HT702 ATA was shipped immediately, receiving it in just 48 hours, pre-provisioned. All I had to do was plug it into my router and it just worked. But even before I got the ATA, I had a chance to use the FAX service through the personalized control panel to send my number porting paperwork in. I was seriously impressed!

The call quality is better than any landline I've ever had, the second cloned line is a God-send, and everything works as-advertised. Their CEO is an active member of this forum, and one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to do business with. Right now, I'm doing month to month, which is still cheaper than my previous service, but as soon as I have some extra cash, I'm going for the 2 year plan, where you can get the service for under $6.50/mo. everything included! There is no activation or shipping charges, and your order gets immediate attention. GET THIS SERVICE! I've seen 'em come and go, and this one is a keeper!

member for 10.3 years, 4273 visits, last login: a few hours ago