Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "No contract, Very fast shipping, Plug and play set up."
Bad "Low caps, but that is Verizons fault, not Millenicom's and to Millenicom's credit, their cap is double what you can get from Ver"
Overall "Would recomend over satellite for anyone that can't get anything else."

·exede by ViaSat
I had Hughesnet Satellite for 9 years and even though with 3G, the speeds are a bit slower, I have to say this is a much better service right now. The speeds are close to what I was getting on satellite and with the lower latency, I have to say this is much better. I ordered the early bird special with the Samsung Hotspot and I get 10 GB at 4G speeds and 10 GB at 3G speeds or 20 GB at 3g speeds since 4G isn't availible here. I average speeds of over 1 Mb/s down and 500 Kb/s up consistantly with pings running around 110ms real world and 130 to 140 in World of Warcraft. I loved the fast shipping on this, I used their cheapest shipping offer and still recieved my hotspot on the third business day after that. I have to say that if you have satellite and can get a signal from Sprint or Verizon then go with Millenicom, I don't think you could go wrong with em.

Oh and I might add that I have 4 Verizon phones and my phone gets as good or better reception than any of the others I have and the Hotspot from Millenicom gets a better signal than my phone does.

member for 7.9 years, 1196 visits, last login: 1.6 years ago

Comments:

Review by travis5379 See Profile

• Location: Rathdrum,Kootenai,ID
Good "Verizon speed and 20 GB for 60 a month"
Bad "The only billing option they allow is auto-recurring debit/credit card"
Overall "Good so far"

This review is for Millenicom 3G high speed internet using the Novatel USB760 modem. At the time I signed up (June 2, 2011), they offered a 20 GB plan that cost 60 USD per month. This was the "Advanced Plan." They no longer have that plan and instead offer 50 GB for $70. My bill hasn't increased, so they must've grandfathered my plan. I'm not sure how much longer they will continue to do so. As part of the plan, I had to purchase the USB modem for $99. There was also a $50 (approx) set-up fee.

Before signing up for Millenicom, I was a Cricket 3G subscriber for about a year and a half. The plan I had was 5 GB for 60 a month. The great thing about Cricket was that they didn't charge you if you went over your cap. The service was passable, but not great. At peak usage times, my speeds were 200-300 Kbps down and 200 Kbps up. At non-peak times, it was 500 Kbps down and 300 Kbps up. Not great, but it was sufficient enough to play World of Warcraft.

A few months ago, Cricket adopted new pricing plans. The old plan, which I had, was $40 a month for 5 GB. And no overage fees. And then they changed it to $40 for 2.5 GB, $50 for 5, and $60 for 7.5. And just recently they've increased their prices yet again, this time adding $5 to each plan. So the (current) pricing is $45, $55, and $65.

To compare the old pricing that I had with the current pricing means that my bill would've went up 37% in less than a year's time. However, they did grandfather my $40 at 5 GB. Unfortunately, they decided to enforce their data caps right about the time they introduced new pricing plans. Probably to force the $40 people like myself to switch over to the more expensive 7.5 GB plan. So one day after noticing that my speed had been throttled down to 50 Kbps, I called them and they verified that my speed had been throttled due to exceeding my 5 GB cap. As 50 Kbps is quite unacceptable, I had them upgrade my account to 7.5 GB and my speed was restored to normal. Unfortunately, that also meant my bill increased by 50%.

Unhappy that I was paying $60 a month for what amounted to 300 Kbps and a 7.5 GB cap, I went searching for a new ISP. I considered the usual suspects (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, even Virgin and T-Mobile), looking for a good value on 3G internet access. I didn't find any. Virgin used to offer 5 GB for $40 a month with no overage fees, but that was simply a bait and switch, as they have since gotten rid of that plan.

Cricket was barely a good value at $40 a month. At $60? Nah. No way. Not for that low of speed. The kicker is that when I called them to cancel my service, I was greeted by an Indian woman named "Michelle." Yeah, ok. Outsourcing debates aside, is it really necessary to insult the intelligence of your customers by pretending that your Indian tech support staff have American names?

Enough about Cricket. This review is for Millenicom, which I found by doing a simple web search for 3G providers. They seemed like a good value, so I came here to see what the cold, hard truth was on them. The reviews checked out, so I decided to give Millenicom a shot. I ordered the basic plan, not wanting to spend the $99 to purchase the modem until I knew whether the service was good. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the service on June 2, 2011, the modem shipped the next day, and arrived on June 6. Setup was a breeze. I just plugged the modem in, and Windows XP took care of everything. I immediately ran a speed test, and was pleasantly surprised to see the results. 1.2 Mbps downstream and 500 Kbps up. A fourfold increase over my usual Cricket speed. Over the course of the next several weeks, I ran periodic speed tests, at various times of the day, and the results were between 1 and 1.5 Mbps down and 400 to 700 Kbps up. It should be noted that the plan I have with Millenicom uses the Verizon network. They have another plan that uses the Sprint network.

I've read DSL Reports for years (my account was created in 2005) but this is my first ISP review. I will keep this review updated if anything changes with my account or there's any drastic changes in speed. I've been using the service for a little over a month and so far, I'm pleased with it.

December 5, 2011 Update:

Service is running great. I've attached an image of the results of a typical speedtest, once again it's using Verizon's EVDO Revision A network. I'm not using anything to boost the signal.

member for 10 years, 541 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by davidhoffman See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "The modem works as expected."
Bad "Shipping failure."
Overall "Bad shipping experience from a great company."

I have recommended Millenicom for many months to others and finally was able to get out of my Verizon contract with no ETF so I could sign up myself. I waited to see if Millenicom would offer a LTE modem for use with Verizon. After a few months I decided to just get the USB760 Advanced Plan. Millenicom shipped the first USB 760 modem in a box too big to fit in my apartment's mailbox. So the mailman left it outside my door. It was stolen, while I was still at work. I called Millenicom when the scheduled delivery date passed and no modem was in my mailbox. After confirming what had happened with the Postmaster, they shipped a second USB 760 modem with a requirement that the package have a signature for delivery or be picked up with photo ID at the post office. I think Millenicom needs to rethink the outer package size used for postal shipping. I am thinking a weatherproof envelope with bubble wrap would have fit in the mailbox.

The Millenicom modem works the same as the Verizon one I have now. I definitely like the fact that Linux drivers are available so I can use it on my Asus netbook with Linux. Verizon was of no help in that area. Now I can watch a little more video when I am out in the country or download bigger files without worrying about going over my monthly limit. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be a LTE modem from Millenicom with the same kind of reasonable monthly limits.

member for 5.3 years, 2310 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Clittlej See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Beaufort,NC
Good "$60/20gb is better than $80/10gb(what verizon offers) or $60/5gb(what us cellular offers)"
Bad "Might have to buy extra equipment for a stronger signal."
Overall "Have a better monthly usage than most carriers available, no contract and does good enough for me."

It had a better plan than verizon and uscellular plus they didn't require some credit check.

On a good day I would get 1.1mbs or 114kbs.

I plan on buying a booster or amp in the near future.

Comments:

Review by nogaps See Profile

• Location: Greenbush,Alcona,MI
Good "much higher 3G cap than Sprint offers"
Bad "terse info about plans on their website"
Overall "higher caps make 3G as primary internet connection more realistic"

I'm nearing the end of a 2-year satellite provider contract (Hughesnet) and noticed recently that I had a new, strong roaming signal on my Verizon cell phone, where I used to get just 1 VZ bar and no roaming signal at all. Did some poking around and found that Sprint upgraded an old Nextel tower about 1/2 mile from my house to EVDO Rev A. I signed up with Sprint and found I was getting a workable (-80 dBm - 1.0Mb/300Kb 200ms) signal but wasn't happy with Sprint's 5GB 3G monthly cap.

So I canceled the Sprint trial and signed up for the Unlimited Plan with Millenicom. I received the Sierra 598U device from Millenicom 4-days later and popped it into my newly purchased CradlePoint MBR-1000 router. Pre-sales and install done! The only criticism I would offer in those 2 areas is that the information on their website about their plans in pretty sparse. I already knew what plan I wanted, by doing research here at BBR, but the lack of info would be pretty confusing to some potential new customers.

Connection reliability has been pretty good. Throughput is about the same as my Hughesnet connection, but of course the 3G latency, while not great, is much, much lower than satellite and SSL and IPSec connections are dramatically better (Hughesnet doesn't cache encrypted packets at their proxies on their residential plans). The 3G signal occasionally drops to 1x for a bit (no line-of-site with the tower due to trees), but I realize this is more an issue between me and Sprint, rather than Millenicom. I've purchased a directional grid antenna that I'll put up once the snow clears to hopefully firm things up.

3 weeks in and I haven't had to use tech support or any of Millenicom's other services yet.

Millenicom's 50Gb monthly cap vs. Sprint's 5GB at about the same price and no contract make Millenicom a pretty decent value if you have few other options.

Update 06/21/11

About 4 months in and all is going well. I put a directional grid antenna up a couple of months ago which increased my signal by about 17 dBm. I've lost much of that increase now that the trees have leafed out but am still seeing a darn good signal at about -70 dBm. Getting about 1.2Mb down and 400Kb up with latency of about 100ms.

Comments:

Review by OiCU812 See Profile

• Location: Murray,Calloway,KY
Good "Great value, very good customer service tech's"
Bad " Modem's external antenna plug is easy to break, I broke mine! VZ software, not very Mac friendly"
Overall "Excellent product, fair price"

Living out in the sticks, my only shot at high speed internet was gonna be Hughesnet, or some sat. service. While looking into that I read about some guy discovered he was now in a Verison coverage area (he pulled his dish out of the ground with his tractor and said it was the best day of his life!!) After reading that I decided to take a look and WOW.... I'm about 3.6 miles from a tower....The guy with the tractor mentioned Millenicom in his post and that's how I got to where I am now.....and that's HAPPY!!!!

member for 4 years, 53 visits, last login: 2 years ago

Comments:

Review by jbrewno See Profile

• Location: Port Byron,Cayuga,NY
Good "20gb cap a month"
Overall "Blows Wild Blue out of the water!"

·TDS Communications
10 Month Review
Still going strong, oh and Millenicom upped the usage from 10gb to 20gb.

6 Month Review:

Millenicom is a great company. I am on the Verizon 10gb a month plan with them. Good for gaming too! Ping usually 70-100 on Counter Strike Source and games like that.

Here is a list of speeds users get on Millenicom Verizon based service.

»Post your VERIZON Novatel USB760 Speed Test Results

I use this service just for my desktop. If cable,dsl, or fios were to come along id definitely switch.

Oh and since i get my Verizon service through Millenicom i get twice the bandwith that i would get from Verizon itself! Yea pretty strange i thought to but im not complaining! Oh and $59.99 a month really is $59.99 a month. No hidden fees!

Bottom line. (If your using this at your house only!)

If you can not get cable or dsl out at your house and you like to play video games. Make sure you get this service over any satellite services.

Cable>Millenicom>Dial Up>Satelite

member for 5.1 years, 878 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sam_j See Profile

• Location: Wilson,Wilson,NC

My only option for high speed internet is this service or satellite. So far I like it. It isn't always as fast as I would like but it certainly beats the alternative.

Comments:

Review by coxzy See Profile

• Location: Goochland,Goochland,VA
Good "reliable"
Bad "need better firmware updates"
Overall "all around a good investment untill something better comes along"

better than dialup and satelite

novatel usb 760

member for 12.5 years, 581 visits, last login: 4.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Belinrahs See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Barry,MI
Good "Unlimited service (for $10 more a month), fast, low pings compared to sat"
Bad "Simply doesn't compete with the reliability of hardwired internet, or even satellite"
Overall "I'd rather have slower speeds and unlimited bandwidth than faster speeds and a cap"

·FreedomNet Wirel..
UPDATE 6: Well, a WISP has come out my way and I signed up with them, so I've cancelled Millenicom. It was a wild ride but I think overall worth it. Thanks for all your help and I wish you luck in your future endeavors. You haven't seen the last of me in the Millenicom forum...

UPDATE 5: Millenicom sent me a new Novatel Ovation U760 and it's working like a dream. They called me and said they were sending a Sierra 598U, but my mantra that you can't trust a word they say, stands. Changing my ratings to reflect my new experience.

You should know that my ratings reflect MY experience. It will depend on your location and your setup, how well it works for you.

UPDATE 4: I'm reworking my ratings above. At this point, my connection is very, very sketchy at best. It'll switch from EVDO to 1xRTT without warning, and the Franklin device can't make a choice on which tower pilot it wants to connect to. I'm seeking a way to get a different device. I'm desperate here !!

UPDATE 3: Moved monthly cost to $70 (I upgraded to Unlimited) and I changed the Pros and Cons. Still very happy with my service, and until something like DSL or fixed wireless appears around here, I'll be sticking with Millenicom. Consider me a satisfied customer.

UPDATE 2: Just since the most recent update, I've been sent a new Franklin CDU-680, and connectivity shot up to something very fast and reliable - I'm quite happy with it now. Also, the "invisible caps" myth seems to be busted, they're releasing new packages, 60$ for 5 gig a month, and 70$ for unlimited bandwidth. Not so invisible, and there's a big difference between 5 gig and pretty-much-infinite gigs, only for 10$ a month. Definitely worth it, I'll be going with that! At this point I will be bumping Connection reliability from a 3 (middling) to a 4 (pretty darn reliable and fast).

UPDATE: I just had some pretty unique issues with Sprint and Millenicom which I'm fully documenting for all to see at »Speed cut due to usage . I have decided to bump the Tech Support rating on this review from 5 (best rating possible) to a 4, because while they are very friendly and do try hard to help out if they can, there is a marked lack of follow up when they tell you they'll have somebody call you back. Over the several times they've told me they would call back in a few hours, I've never, ever, EVER gotten such a call back.

Original review:

I had HughesNet for a long time before I found out about Millenicom right here on BBR, so I checked out their site and asked for a site survey. They said that I'd get excellent service here, and considering I get 4 bars on my Sprint phone around here, I thought I'd give them a shot (why not? no contract!). I received the Franklin CDU-680 USB aircard. At first it was pretty awful because I ended up getting pretty terrible signal (about -95dBm to -105dBm). I talked to the folks at 3Gstore.com who recommended that I get the 32" omni external antenna. I went for it considering it wasn't all that much, $80, and I installed it on an old Dish Network satellite dish mount. I now get about -72dBm constantly and top speeds of about 1.2-1.3 megabits down, which isn't bad considering I'm on a single T1 tower.

I'm pretty worried about the supposed "invisible caps" they're placing, but as far as I can tell I'm still unlimited...I've gone over 15-20 gig's in a month without a peep from the folks at Millenicom or Sprint. I'll be perfectly fine and will stay with this service, satisfied, unless they decide to impose those caps on me.