Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by Lonig See Profile

• Location: Nevada,Vernon,MO
Good "Cost, Speed, Ease of Use, Bandwidth Limit compared to other providers"
Bad "Initial Customer Service"
Overall "Solid company, service was excellent in 2 states. Will use again if DSL is not available, or I start to travel more."

Service was excellent in 2 states (central SC and SW Missouri) and also along I40 when I moved between the 2. I had service for 2 months (5/2010 - 7/2010) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

- FAR better speed/latency than HughesNet, in my area (SC is where I had HughesNet).

- Also cost less per month (I paid 59.99/mo for 10gb limit).

- Startup cost was $198, but I bought the usb modem/dongle. I was offered a lease option for $99 less, but chose against it.

- I played several MMOs while networked with my other computer(both playing). We played WOW, EVE Online, and Combat Arms, all of which has 100-200ms, even during peak times.

- For Wow players, this means we did 25 man Ony and didn't lag out during Whelps. Both players on same connection. We also did 25 man ICC, 25 man TOC, etc. This connection is solid for raiding.

- Networking is possibly difficult to setup (for non-technical) if you do not buy a router made for 3G USB Dongle sharing. It is done through Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows. Because of this, I would highly recommend buying a new router with the ability to share the USB Dongles connection. (I did not do this).

- Canceling my service was very easy, and the lady on the phone made it a pleasant experience. She did inform me I can reactivate at any time and still have no contract.

Overall, I highly recommend this service(I had VZW resell) to anyone who cannot get DSL/Cable/Fiber. If your options are Satellite or Dialup or Millenicom, choose Millenicom. By far a better experience than any Satellite can provide.

Again, my service length was only short due to moving and having the option for DSL. I will come back to this company in the future.

Comments:

Review by Cap2010 See Profile

• Location: Foley,Baldwin,AL
Good "Good service, great price!"
Overall "Its a keeper"

I have been with Millenicom for about 5 months now and I am happy with the service. I needed Internet service that was portable to use on the job. I have AT&T cell phone service so naturally I tried out their data card plan first but immediately started looking elsewhere for better. I decided to try Verizon. Verizon was great but since I went from bad to great in one move I decided "why not keep on looking for better?" It wasn't long before I discovered Millenicom but the web site was a bit vague and I was skeptical to try it until I discovered DSLreports.com. I can't say enough good about all you guys here on the Millenicom forum that offer advice, tips, tweaks, and help to folks like me, you know who you are, yall are great, thanks! After I read the mostly good reports on Millenicom I had no problem taking the plunge and I am glad I did.

How and why I rated Millenicom the way I did.

Pre Sales Info - I gave only a 3 for Pre Sales Info because the web site, at the time, was um a little sub par but has since been upgraded to a much easier and user friendly site.

Install Process - 5/5 on the install. It came with instructions and was simple.

Connection Reliability - 5/5, no problems staying connected. Speeds are generally around 1.25 Mbps to 2 Mbps up and .25 to .75 Mbps down. Thats with the modem only in my laptop. No external antennas, amps or boosters.

Tech Support - 4/5 After my initial install I called tech because I thought I should be getting better speeds (.350 Mbps to .475 Mbps) than what I was. After the tech had me do a reinstall he agreed with me that the speed should be a little better than it was. He decided to start a ticket and informed me that he had done all he could and someone from the next level up would be calling me the next day. I never got that call but I didn't call back either. I got all the help I needed right here at dslreports.com

Services - 5/5. From order placed to my house - 4 days. The one time I did call tech I was able to get a real person on the line quick and the person that answered my call was the one that helped me. It doesn't get any better than that in my book.

Value for money - 5/5. Its a no brainer - 10 GB for $60, NO CONTRACT! and NO TAXES & FEES!

Comments:

Review by Buffy4 See Profile

• Location: Indiana,Indiana,PA
Good "Good Customer Service - Fast and Efficient"
Bad "nothing so far"
Overall "live in rural area - few options - best choice I could have made was to get Millenicom"

I found www.dslreports.com about 4 months ago. After reading and doing my own research (and most of it I don't understand) I took the plunge of getting service thru millenicom. I am so pleased with the speeds that I get ! I never thought I would see these kinds of speeds where I live at all ! Cable, Verizon DSL etc. are NOT available where I live. My dial-up connection was the pits It would struggle to download my email, let alone a web page.

And THANKS to those who have written in with questions, answers and suggestions in the forum area! Without these, I would never have taken the steps to obtain wireless broadband thru millenicom.

So, If you are reading this, and are not tech savvy like me, take a chance, I'm glad I did

UPDATE: June 28, 2010

I was one of the people who received an email from millenicom on 6/23/10 about swapping the franklin 680 (sprint) to the novatel 760 (verizon)

Today i received the new modem.....and after 5 hours (included a call to tech support, a call to billing (he kindly wrote a ticket up for his supervisor- who never called me back) and last: a call to customer service who FINALLY suggested that i upgrade to sprint unlimited in order to have a good connection.(my current EVDO signal strength is -66 with the franklin)

The novatel 760 has a signal strength of -110 and on EVDO it was 0. Tech support told me (after I purchased this modem and upgraded to the advanced plan 3 days ago) that I should buy an antenna. Needless to say, I was a bit mad. So please be AWARE: the standard plan AND the advance plan are both novatel 760 VERIZON modems (it doesn't say VERIZON on their web page). In the mountains of Pennsylvania, just because it says on a coverage map that you have coverage - doesn't mean that you have coverage! Do your "homework" and ASK QUESTIONS !!!!!!!! it will save you time AND stress on your nerves!

I do enjoy reading the forums - I learn a LOT from reading the questions and responses ! Thanks to all who REPLY ! Bless you all for sharing your knowledge!

Comments:

Review by Jim_in_VA See Profile

• Location: Cobbs Creek,Mathews,VA
Good "Excellent customer service"
Bad "none"
Overall "A great service provider!"

·Metrocast Commun..
If you want Sprint Mobile Broadband, this company can give it to you for $10 less than Sprint and with NO contract, No taxes, UNLIMITED data downloads. A no brainer.

Still going strong 3 years later, great company. No issues at all. The price has increased to 69.99 for unlimited but it is still a great option for unlimited data.

Comments:

Review by usaweapon777 See Profile

• Location: Orwigsburg,Schuylkill,PA
Good "can get double storage if you purchase modem!"
Bad "still has a usage cap, but i understand why"
Overall "i've had satellite and regular verizon wireless. Millenicom is the best"

Millenicom is a great service. You get more data per month with the purchase of the modem then you would with just Verizon for the same price. It was easy to hook up and runs like a charm. Living out in the country satellite sucked, and sprint is in the area for high speed so it works through verizon. Verizon has coverage just about anywhere so combined with sprint, millenicom will probably work just about darn near anywhere. Now i can game and surf the web quickly and actually watch youtube while its loading lol.

Comments:

Review by MinusInNC See Profile

• Location: Elizabeth City,Pasquotank,NC
Good "Easy setup,no cap,a hell of alot better than dial up,no contract."
Bad "Could be faster but y'know,we all want faster."
Overall "Great service,highly recommended."

This is the unlimited package.

Comments:

Review by nekamer

• Location: Laurel,Prince Georges,MD
Good "Very nice company that sells unlimited mobile broadband. Very easy to set up. They seem very sincere in making this work"
Bad "It's kind of slow compared to fiber to the home but more reliable."
Overall "I am still their customer even though I have Comcast and FIOS available to me."

Millencom sells unlimited mobile broadband in many places in the US mostly on Sprint carrier I think. I have that plan. I have FIOS and Comcast service available to me but this is so much easier and I can take it wherever I go. I work from home so have meetings in places like Panera. I no longer need to hold meetings in places that supply WIFI as I can bring my own connection.

Millenicom sets up your account in just a few hours after you get your equipment and then everything just works. I now have a Cradlepoint router so I can share the connection which also works great.

I think Sprint's network is somewhat overloaded but that is not Millenicom's fault. This service is almost never down hard. Lost carrier twice in 1.5 years and then it was only for an hour or less. Sprint does manage to keep their towers up.

It's expensive but works well and is very reliable and easy to use. To me that is more important than speed or price.

(review was emailed from domain mindtheater.net)

Comments:

Review by dvan See Profile

• Location: Clive,Polk,IA
Good "Great Customer Service, Lower cost (tax's), No Contract"
Bad "None with Millenicom. Verizon has some."
Overall "Very - Very Good choice"

Much better than the underlying carrier (Verizon in my case) customer service and price. Had issues with initial router setup. Millenicom was very helpful in direct dealings and 3-party (manufacture) conversations. It took a few days to solve, but solved it was. The router people (Cradlepoint) were excellent also.

This is much better than the Sat. System it replaced (tower finally close enough to me, with external Ant. usage). Highly Recomended to anyone needing wireless internet provider.

Comments:

Review by T_Flight See Profile

Removed

Comments:

Review by mooch See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Licking,OH
Good "unlimited plan through the Sprint network and no contract"
Bad "at times customer service is a bit lacking...though I've seen far worse"
Overall "Far better than signing on directly with Sprint or Verizon and blows hughesnet away!"

·Embarq Now Centu..
I had mentioned that tech support is a bit lacking. I've not really had issues to put them to a test but one great thing is that you do talk to someone here in the states rather than in India.

member for 13 years, 4568 visits, last login: a few hours ago