Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by criggs See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "Much higher monthly data caps than anything you will get from the big carriers"
Bad "Very little they can do if one experiences network issues since they don't own their own network"
Overall "If one is very dependent on wireless Internet, this is one of the best deals around"

I was one of those unfortunate Sprint customers who thought he had an unlimited 2-year contract for 4G Wimax on my laptop. I won't go into the painful details; the bottom line was that though I was able to fight and win on the issue of the exorbitant overage fees they charged me, I was still compelled to leave Sprint because of my data download needs.

I switched to Millenicom. I already had the Sprint Overdrive Pro hotspot, so I subscribed to the Millenicom BYOD plan with that device.

There's really not much to tell. I was a little concerned that my 4G Wimax experience might be a little different, or a lot different, from my experience with Sprint, even though Millenicom uses the same network. I need not have worried; the experience indeed was identical.

And so matters have been until March. In March Sprint began upgrading towers in my area for something they call the Network Vision upgrade, and my Wimax performance is now well under spec. As soon as LTE makes its appearance in my area, I will be making the switch. Millenicom has told me that if I can score an LTE Tri-Fi hotspot somewhere, probably on eBay, they will be glad to switch my account from the Overdrive Pro to the Tri-Fi. So that's the option toward which I'm currently leaning, meaning I'm leaning toward taking no action at all for the time being. My current Wimax performance is currently akin to a good 3G experience, so I figure I can live with that until they light the LTE.

I'm bumping into another problem however. Increasingly I'm finding that Millenicom's 50 gig cap is causing a problem for me. In the beginning I never had to worry about it; I rarely went above 40 gigs. Some months I didn't even crack 30.

No more. Now I'm finding myself always cracking 40. In some months I've even hit the 50 gig mark and have forced myself to turn off the Overdrive Pro and depend on the kindness of the frequently weak, slow and unreliable WiFi networks in my area, which is a pain, until the first of the month comes around. In fact, this is one of the worst such months in a while; I hit the 50 gig cap yesterday and have been relying on WiFi since yesterday, and won't be able to go back to the Overdrive until the 1st.

So just waiting until LTE lights up in my area and then switching out my Millenicom plan to the Tri-Fi doesn't really solve my whole problem. I need either a higher cap or unlimited.

Here seem to be my options at the moment, options that address both my poor Wimax experience currently and my need for a higher monthly data allotment.

1: Wireless 'n' WiFi offers unlimited wireless Internet with a Tri-Fi. But they do not allow BYOD. Moreover, they do not offer a contract; their deal is month-to-month. This means that the upfront damage to start an account is quite steap, over $200. That upfront charge is the most important drawback to this option. The monthly payment however is more reasonable, $79.99.

2: Sprint now offers unlimited wireless Internet again for laptops. If one purchases a 3 gig plan with the Tri-Fi at $34.99 a month, Sprint caps the overage fees at $75. I would obviously go way over 3 gigs every month, so that means I would pay $34.99 plus $75 every month probably, making for a monthly total of $109.99. While the upfront activation charges are nominal, that is a very hefty increase in my monthly payments, an extra $40 a month compared to my current $70 with Millenicom. That translates to an extra $480 a year, which is not chump change obviously.

3: Millenicom hinted in an email to me that they are thinking about generating a more "robust" plan, and hoping to unveil it by the start of summer. I presume they're talking about something like, say, a 70 gig plan for $90 or something like that. Of course, the obvious drawback with this option is that it's not available yet. And when it become available, it might be something which really doesn't address my issue, e.g. 55 gigs a month for $100 a month or something like that. And I'm really not comfortable with the idea of living with very poor Internet for another month or two or three months while I wait for Millenicom's pig in a poke.

In addition, I'm in the process of investigating whether Verizon Wireless has created a backdoor pricing structure that allows unlimited downloads, as Sprint has now done. If Verizon Wireless gives me info that warrants it, I'll be coming back her to, er, revise and extend my remarks, as the senators say.

The bottom line is that, while it's not really Millenicom's fault, I'm once again in the market for a wireless Internet plan; my current arrangement no longer really works for me.

I posted this review because DSL Reports Administration asked me for an update on my situation; that is because my last review, written in 2010, is very old and, in their opinion, needed updating. So here is that update. Maybe someone will find it useful.

member for 14.1 years, 1199 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by w5nl See Profile

• Location: Cumby,Hopkins,TX
Good "Best deal EVER if your in a Sprint LTE or WIMAX area"
Bad "No roaming agreeements, Sprint only. No unlimited plans that use Verizon."
Overall "The ONLY unlimited 4G LTE plan on an aircard or hotspot."

Millenicom is a prepaid data service. Several plans are available. The best deal is the $69 BYOD unlimited plan. Using the Sierra Wireless Sprint Tri-Fi hotspot. Bought mine from Amazon for $325. I'm a truck driver and I originally got this for mobile web access. Turns out to be the best move I have ever made. The device works on 3G, 4G LTE, AND WIMAX.

In places like Denver where there is no LTE but WIMAX is available. At night there are about 2-3000 trucks 1 tower. Most can't even check their email while I'm streaming a movie. I have since had to stop driving(became disabled) and took it home. One week after I got home 4G LTE went live on our Sprint tower(small rural N.E. Texas town). Before, I had DSL from our local Telco co-op....$100/mo for 10mbps down and 1.5 up...I know, right?

Now for $69 I'm getting 20-30mbps down and no less than 10mbps up(Sprint LTE) and it's portable. Ping times run between 30-50ms. Their TOS states that usage over 50GB alerts their investigative team. Not to be used as a public or privately paid hotspot.

Their tech support consists of reps reading from the owners manual for your device and Sprint will not help you.

If you are in a Sprint 4G LTE or WIMAX area. You can't go wrong with this deal. It's awesome!

Comments:

Review by cmattax See Profile

• Location: Manakin Sabot,Goochland,VA
Good "Easier setup than HomeFusion, if you are even mildly technical. No Contract!"
Bad "Verizon still has the greatest impact on happiness factor as they maintain the network and provide customer support."
Overall "As good as or better than Verizon HomeFusion without the contract."

Millenicom costs $10/month more than Verizon HomeFusion. But in order to get HomeFusion set up with a 20Gig cap, we would have had to re-configure all of our phones to participate in Verizon's shared access plan. This would have cost us an additional $60/month and we would have to agree to a 2-year contract. I have only had it a short time, but it has surpassed my expectations. Coming from a mediocre 3G connection, it feels like DSL.

Comments:

Review by Mr_Thomas See Profile

Millenicom is the best in my area of Alabama, in the woods with no one around 1000 yards. surrounded by trees. Verizon 4g lte was taking a shot but it paid off big time with the Wilson booster. I get speeds of 14 -22 Mbps downloads and 4-5 Mbps uploads and 59 - 30 ping. This is very very go for my area i get no other internet service out here not even dial up. I use straight talk phone service which is pretty good also and i think they are on the Verizon Tower. 20g is alot of data unlimited would be better by 20g will do for now. If you are in doubt chose Millenicom!!

Comments:

Mr Graham

@suddenlink.net

Not worth the time and bad company business model.

If it works for you at one point, thats good. But pray you never have problems. If so they wont care and thier unfriendly staff of 5 will not care. Stick with a more reliable carrier even if you pay more. Verizon could ignore my problems and still provide better service. Nothing but a hassle from day one. wasted over 300 in a few months. In life you get what you pay for.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Re: Not worth the time and bad company business model.

bad experience there Mr Graham? For the rest of us with Millenicom , its all positive
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/
kevnich24

join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL
Millenicom 20gb service is through verizon, so service is the same. I am sorry if you had a bad experience but the majority of those who have millenicom service love it and is usually very reliable.

If we associated one bad experience to not ourchasing something, no one would have a single service.

Review by sublime2419 See Profile

• Location: Delanson,Schenectady,NY
Good "Great Customer Service. Best internet option for my area."
Bad "Startup cost is a little high but it's definitely still worth it."
Overall "If cable internet or similar is not an option than this is your best bet."

This company is great. Before I ordered I had called their customer service line a few times and was connected with a representative immediately (no hold) each time. The rep was always professional and friendly, and after I ordered my 3G/4G Hotspot (Verizon) I decided I also wanted to purchase the USB wifi adapter. Unfortunately I had ordered the Hotspot already and thought I would have to pay additional shipping for the adapter, however when I called customer service they just added the adapter to my initial order and threw it in the box with my Hotspot when they shipped it (which was shipped the same day I ordered). I received my order 2 days after it was placed and the internet service is great. I'm so happy I didn't have to resort to satellite internet or have to pay Verizon more for less. These guys really are great...I have no complaints and would highly recommend them if cable is not available in your area.

Comments:
Mr_Thomas

join:2013-02-25
·Millenicom

I like Millenicom

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Verizon/Sprint network for cheaper price, no contract..."
Bad "None that I can think of right now..."
Overall "Go with them...they are cheaper than Sprint/Verizon and you get the same coverage."

·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
I'm on the 20gb hotspot plan that uses the Verizon network. It comes with the Novatel 4620LE. I already had a Pantech UML290 modem, and I just simply removed the SIM from the Novatel, and moved it to my UML290 (with a SIM adapter). I've had no problems with the service, and I get exactly the same performance and coverage I was getting with Verizon. I hope that by the time Sprint 4G rolls out in my area that Millenicom has a 50G/unlimited device for them.

My device arrived in about 4 days after ordering, which is insanely quick considering I paid only for standard shipping and I'm on the east coast (they are based on the west coast).

I have not used their tech support yet, so I cannot comment on that aspect.

I plan on doing business with them for a long time, and would recommend them to anyone who needs 3g/4g internet.

member for 1.7 years, 298 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

kirkdj

@charter.com

HEY applerule

Hey I live outside Weaverville soon and will soon be looking for new internet service.........what kind of speeds are you getting? do you know where the towers are located? are you on 3g or 4g? other problems? Any other info on the service or system will be appreciated.....
Mr_Thomas

join:2013-02-25
·Millenicom

check me out

Review by Duramax08 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "20 GB cap for $60 via verizon and no overage fees"
Bad "Somewhat high start up cost"
Overall "Its awesome!"

Cricket was crapping out and very unreliable. I had to look at my options again and decided to try out millenicom. I heard they resell verizon and sprint. Knowing my bad luck with sprint, I wanted verizon. After finding out the 5 and 20 GB cap plan was verizon, I ordered the 20 GB or "advanced" plan and got the u760 modem. For the modem, activation and first month, total was around $205. Ouch, but only one way to find out. 2 days later I had a box in the mail. Opened it up, Plugged it into my CradlePoint MBR95, plugged it into my existing antenna and I was up and running. Holy crap, the speeds!

»www.speedtest.net/result/1692975722.png

been playing l4d2 with little to no lag. Going to try out Halo reach soon, possibly some other games. Will report back with result.

Im so stoked

Update 3/19/2012

Had service for awhile and its been an awesome ride. Been playing l4d2 on pc and halo reach on 360 with little to no lag at all. Bad news, they got rid of the advance plan for new orders which suck because I was going to show my sister the service but not anymore =/. Im able to watch youtube videos with little to no buffering. I have not yet tried netflix knowing it would eat through my cap.

Update 9/17/2012

All is well except for my mbr95. The wireless function seems to be iffy so I disabled it, hooked up my old cisco wireless router and it runs like a champ. I did try netflix when I was on my breaking bad-athon. I just finished up one season which was a cliff hanger and instead of waiting for a coworker to give me the next season, I watched the next episode on netflix. It worked just fine, just gave it a little like to buffer in the beginning but after that it worked great. I think a 45 min sd show was like 200-300 mb which is quite a bit for me. Other then that ive been playing TF2 and L4D2 with no problems.

I am quite pleased with millenicom, I might be setting up my sister next since she tethers with her 2gb iPhone plan :/.

member for 6.1 years, 2964 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by TLettuce See Profile

• Location: Goldendale,Klickitat,WA
Good "Sign up was somewhat reasonable and unlimited bandwidth is unheard of these days."
Bad "Coverage map is inaccurate. Customer service is unorganized, unprofessional."
Overall "Make sure you are truly covered before signing up, or get ready to be frustrated."

I initially called and chatted with millenicom's customer service several times before I made any decisions. I looked to see if I was covered and it said I was, although sprint's coverage map showed me just on the edge of their data coverage. I wanted a wireless router so the only option I had where I live was with a mifi device, and the only plan that supports a mifi device is their BYOD (bring your own device) plan (69.99 /mo.).

One of their reps on the phone said that if their site shows me being covered then I am 'GUARANTEED' internet service at my house. Although I talked to someone in a chat and they said if my cell coverage isn't spectacular (I get 4 bars roaming at home) I should be wary.

So fine, I ordered a sprint/novatel wireless mifi 4082 device. When it got in I called millenicom to set it up, as with most other times I have called I got a couple people I couldn't understand or simply cut out (cheap headsets I assume... I called a friend right after, asked him if he could understand me clearly and he said yes every time no problems, so it's not me cutting out) So I set up a BYOD plan. that took about an hour (simply because the guy was so hard to understand) . This was done by about 1130am.

So I couldn't activate my device at home, called millenicom about it, they were very nice, thorough, and understanding so far. We discovered my signal was a 1xsomethingsomething, and I needed an evdo signal to activate my device. The closest one I could find was out in a wheat field 25 miles from my house (no joke, wonder if anybody could see me out there with my laptop?) So I activated it got about 700kb/s right off the bat.

I was very excited, so I went home and got 60kb/s max if I wasn't totally disconnected and most of the time it was about 15-30kb/s which is essentially dial up but less reliable. I tried it until this morning to see if my speeds changed, they didn't.

I called millenicom to cancel my service because they told me if I contacted them within 24 hours of sign up I could cancel with a full refund. (had to call twice, the first person I got I couldn't understand) The guy told me I had to cancel online, I told him I have no internet, and he said that I have to be getting a minimum of 400kb/s and gave me a ton of attitude. I wasn't going to argue with him about it though, I took care of all my animals at home and rushed to town to cancel before the 24 hours.

Came into work to use the internet, was unable to log in with the log-in info that was gone over extensively on the phone when I signed up. So I had to open another chat to ask to get logged in to open a cancellation ticket, because they couldn't help cancel either.

When I finally got logged in I was so worried that I have lost my money by this point that I was extremely frustrated. In my ticket I mentioned some key issues I had and that a lawyer would be contacted if I don't get a refund. An hour later they told me I will still be eligible for a full refund. I will update on here if I don't get it for some reason.

So in the end 24 hours of confusion and frustration is all I've gotten out of millenicom.

Comments:
nogaps

join:2011-01-08
Greenbush, MI

Coverage can be a tricky thing

I understand that you didn't have a good initial experience, but just be aware that the right type of external antenna can often make a big difference to signal levels.

NeoAnimeHave

@myvzw.com

somestime ETA doesn't always matter

Sounds like you were just to far from a tower.. an ETA might help boost your signal better, but for me I'm only 3 or 4 miles from one.. I was still getting low speeds because of an over crowding issue on the tower, which this company will not do much about..

Good luck!!
TLettuce

join:2012-08-10
Goldendale, WA

Too much of a risk.

My biggest issues were that I was misled initially, and that I wasn't allowed to cancel my service on the phone even though I signed up for the service on the phone.

I had looked into external antennas but I'm not even sure there is a spot on the device to connect one. Even then I would have been out of the 24 hour refund period had I ordered one. And who knows if it would have gotten me enough of a signal anyways... potential waste of money.

I'm with us cellular now anyways, and without an external antenna I get acceptable speeds.

Review by Dexter1992 See Profile

• Location: Winona,Winona,MN
Good "Unlimited 3G Mobile Broadband(50GB Soft Cap), No Contract, Sprint Coverage and Sprint Network Speeds"
Bad "You can only pay monthly bill with credit/debit card."
Overall "I have Sprint, drop them quickly and go for Millenicom. You do not want a 5GB cap, you just don't it's horrible."

I have had this service for two months now and it is great. For an extra $8-10 you get 10x the usage for a soft cap with the Unlimited or BYOD plan. The service is unlimited but don't overuse the service as they don't like high usage users. You get the same speed as Sprint, there is no different routing or anything so no need to worry about slower speeds. It's the best bang for your buck.

Comments:

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "No contract, Very fast shipping, Plug and play set up."
Bad "Low caps, but that is Verizons fault, not Millenicom's and to Millenicom's credit, their cap is double what you can get from Ver"
Overall "Would recomend over satellite for anyone that can't get anything else."

I had Hughesnet Satellite for 9 years and even though with 3G, the speeds are a bit slower, I have to say this is a much better service right now. The speeds are close to what I was getting on satellite and with the lower latency, I have to say this is much better. I ordered the early bird special with the Samsung Hotspot and I get 10 GB at 4G speeds and 10 GB at 3G speeds or 20 GB at 3g speeds since 4G isn't availible here. I average speeds of over 1 Mb/s down and 500 Kb/s up consistantly with pings running around 110ms real world and 130 to 140 in World of Warcraft. I loved the fast shipping on this, I used their cheapest shipping offer and still recieved my hotspot on the third business day after that. I have to say that if you have satellite and can get a signal from Sprint or Verizon then go with Millenicom, I don't think you could go wrong with em.

Oh and I might add that I have 4 Verizon phones and my phone gets as good or better reception than any of the others I have and the Hotspot from Millenicom gets a better signal than my phone does.

member for 7.4 years, 1196 visits, last login: 1 year ago