Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by travis5379 See Profile

• Location: Rathdrum,Kootenai,ID
Good "Verizon speed and 20 GB for 60 a month"
Bad "The only billing option they allow is auto-recurring debit/credit card"
Overall "Good so far"

This review is for Millenicom 3G high speed internet using the Novatel USB760 modem. At the time I signed up (June 2, 2011), they offered a 20 GB plan that cost 60 USD per month. This was the "Advanced Plan." They no longer have that plan and instead offer 50 GB for $70. My bill hasn't increased, so they must've grandfathered my plan. I'm not sure how much longer they will continue to do so. As part of the plan, I had to purchase the USB modem for $99. There was also a $50 (approx) set-up fee.

Before signing up for Millenicom, I was a Cricket 3G subscriber for about a year and a half. The plan I had was 5 GB for 60 a month. The great thing about Cricket was that they didn't charge you if you went over your cap. The service was passable, but not great. At peak usage times, my speeds were 200-300 Kbps down and 200 Kbps up. At non-peak times, it was 500 Kbps down and 300 Kbps up. Not great, but it was sufficient enough to play World of Warcraft.

A few months ago, Cricket adopted new pricing plans. The old plan, which I had, was $40 a month for 5 GB. And no overage fees. And then they changed it to $40 for 2.5 GB, $50 for 5, and $60 for 7.5. And just recently they've increased their prices yet again, this time adding $5 to each plan. So the (current) pricing is $45, $55, and $65.

To compare the old pricing that I had with the current pricing means that my bill would've went up 37% in less than a year's time. However, they did grandfather my $40 at 5 GB. Unfortunately, they decided to enforce their data caps right about the time they introduced new pricing plans. Probably to force the $40 people like myself to switch over to the more expensive 7.5 GB plan. So one day after noticing that my speed had been throttled down to 50 Kbps, I called them and they verified that my speed had been throttled due to exceeding my 5 GB cap. As 50 Kbps is quite unacceptable, I had them upgrade my account to 7.5 GB and my speed was restored to normal. Unfortunately, that also meant my bill increased by 50%.

Unhappy that I was paying $60 a month for what amounted to 300 Kbps and a 7.5 GB cap, I went searching for a new ISP. I considered the usual suspects (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, even Virgin and T-Mobile), looking for a good value on 3G internet access. I didn't find any. Virgin used to offer 5 GB for $40 a month with no overage fees, but that was simply a bait and switch, as they have since gotten rid of that plan.

Cricket was barely a good value at $40 a month. At $60? Nah. No way. Not for that low of speed. The kicker is that when I called them to cancel my service, I was greeted by an Indian woman named "Michelle." Yeah, ok. Outsourcing debates aside, is it really necessary to insult the intelligence of your customers by pretending that your Indian tech support staff have American names?

Enough about Cricket. This review is for Millenicom, which I found by doing a simple web search for 3G providers. They seemed like a good value, so I came here to see what the cold, hard truth was on them. The reviews checked out, so I decided to give Millenicom a shot. I ordered the basic plan, not wanting to spend the $99 to purchase the modem until I knew whether the service was good. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the service on June 2, 2011, the modem shipped the next day, and arrived on June 6. Setup was a breeze. I just plugged the modem in, and Windows XP took care of everything. I immediately ran a speed test, and was pleasantly surprised to see the results. 1.2 Mbps downstream and 500 Kbps up. A fourfold increase over my usual Cricket speed. Over the course of the next several weeks, I ran periodic speed tests, at various times of the day, and the results were between 1 and 1.5 Mbps down and 400 to 700 Kbps up. It should be noted that the plan I have with Millenicom uses the Verizon network. They have another plan that uses the Sprint network.

I've read DSL Reports for years (my account was created in 2005) but this is my first ISP review. I will keep this review updated if anything changes with my account or there's any drastic changes in speed. I've been using the service for a little over a month and so far, I'm pleased with it.

December 5, 2011 Update:

Service is running great. I've attached an image of the results of a typical speedtest, once again it's using Verizon's EVDO Revision A network. I'm not using anything to boost the signal.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US
·Sipgate VOIP

What's the Verizon plan called?

You are fortunate that you didn't waste money trying Virgin Mobile, here it doesn't work any better than Cricket. Both are so oversold and slow they can't even open a web page and I suspect Millenicom would be just as bad on Sprint and wouldn't want to spend $220 just to find out. How did you get a plan running on Verizon? They don't offer anything using Verizon on their web page, just Sprint.
travis5379

join:2005-03-28
Moscow, ID

Re: What's the Verizon plan called?

What's interesting is that a friend warned me about Cricket. But I was seduced by the prospect of getting high speed internet for $40 a month, with no overages. So I signed up and ultimately came to regret that decision, as Cricket's network is woefully inadequate. For the speeds you get, I can see them charging maybe $20 or $30 per month. But their current price levels are just insane. They charge $55 a month for 5 GB of data. You can go on Verizon's site and order directly from them and get 5 GB for $50. It's actually cheaper to use Verizon, despite the fact that Cricket has a significantly worse network and, according to logic and reason, Cricket deserves to be priced cheaper. Of course, the big difference is that Verizon requires you to sign a contract, whereas Cricket allows you to pre-pay. As does Millenicom.

You asked about Millenicom's service plans. They actually have 5 plans at the moment:

3G/4G Hotspot: $80 a month and uses Verizon's 3G and 4G networks.

Advanced Plan (which is what I have): $60 a month for 20 GB but requires the $99 purchase of the modem. Uses Verizon's 3G network.

Unlimited Plan: $70 a month and it uses the Sprint's 3G network. They say "unlimited" but it has a 50 GB soft cap.

Bring your own device plan: Same as the unlimited plan. Uses Sprint 3G.

Standard plan: $60 a month for 5 GB. Uses Verizon 3G. Doesn't require purchase of the modem.

Hope this answered your question. Thanks for the comment!

Review by wildridge See Profile

Good "Quick Shipping"
Bad "Didn't work"
Overall "Millenicom dropped the ball"

I ordered the 598U modem and unlimited Sprint plan from Millenicom. According to the Sprint map, my area is covered well by 3G. When I received and installed the modem, it had no signal indoors or out. Millenicom tech support passed me on to Sprint. Neither Sprint or Millenicom could figure out why the modem wouldn't work. After 6 days of calling and holding and hearing them blame each other, I asked for a refund and they agreed. I didn't receive my initial $15 shipping fee back and it cost me $5 to return it. So, I'm out $20 and several hours of time for this misadventure. I'm not sure why Millenicom even has tech support if they're going to pass folks on to Sprint. Even though they didn't help much, the sales and tech support staff was friendly. The billing department, on the other hand, was absolutely rude!

Comments:

compuguybna

ISS?

does ISS still do Millenicom's support?

www.interactivesoftwaresolutions.com/

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH

Sprint

Surprised Sprint helped or even talked with you since you're using a reseller. But this is another reason why resellers do just that and will never be anything else.

·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

Millenicom's Tech Support

Once upon a time, when I had the Millenicom Verizon plan (just right before I cancelled), I could not get ANY answer from Millenicom's people. They said they were checking with Verizon, but I never heard back anything.

So, I just called Verizon, said I had an account thru Millenicom, and that I was the end user, and stated the problem. Well, that got the ball rolling on the problem.... But I guess Millenicom NEVER called Verizon about my issue (since this was the first Verizon was hearing about it). So, Verizon called Millenicom and wanted to know why they didn't report the incident.

OH MERCY, did I get a slap on the wrist from Millenicom, and a threat to cancel my account if I EVER overrode them and called Verizon directly again. That week I just said **** it, and cancelled.

Not sure who's doing tech support these days, but it definately had some issues back then..

What ever happened to Jarrod?

Jack_in_VA
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Millenicom is a reseller of Sprint Wireless Broadband

Because Sprint owns and operates the network. Not Millenicom.

Review by jsme304 See Profile

• Location: Lampasas,Lampasas,TX
Good "We have the ability to use Sprint 3G service"
Overall "What is their to say about a company that is a reseller.."

·WildBlue
I been with Millenicom since Sept. of '09... since then, our only dealings with Millenicom is that they debit our credit card on the first of the month.. for the use of a provided Sprint modem phone number. With that phone number and a modem that I purchased on the net... I am able to use the Sprint 3g Wireless network ... Nothing more or less.. Millenicom provides a service that I accepted and is using.

Comments:

Review by davidhoffman See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "The modem works as expected."
Bad "Shipping failure."
Overall "Bad shipping experience from a great company."

I have recommended Millenicom for many months to others and finally was able to get out of my Verizon contract with no ETF so I could sign up myself. I waited to see if Millenicom would offer a LTE modem for use with Verizon. After a few months I decided to just get the USB760 Advanced Plan. Millenicom shipped the first USB 760 modem in a box too big to fit in my apartment's mailbox. So the mailman left it outside my door. It was stolen, while I was still at work. I called Millenicom when the scheduled delivery date passed and no modem was in my mailbox. After confirming what had happened with the Postmaster, they shipped a second USB 760 modem with a requirement that the package have a signature for delivery or be picked up with photo ID at the post office. I think Millenicom needs to rethink the outer package size used for postal shipping. I am thinking a weatherproof envelope with bubble wrap would have fit in the mailbox.

The Millenicom modem works the same as the Verizon one I have now. I definitely like the fact that Linux drivers are available so I can use it on my Asus netbook with Linux. Verizon was of no help in that area. Now I can watch a little more video when I am out in the country or download bigger files without worrying about going over my monthly limit. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be a LTE modem from Millenicom with the same kind of reasonable monthly limits.

member for 4.4 years, 1932 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

Cost $4.85 yet charges $15.00

You'd think Millenicom charging $15.00, they could have a done a little better (especially when that shipment cost them $4.85).

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Re: Cost $4.85 yet charges $15.00

Its not all about $4.85 shipping. You have the shipping to set up and pay an employee to pack it and label it. Not out of line to charge $15
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Re: Cost $4.85 yet charges $15.00

It was a USPS label created online. At least they could check the "box" online that says "do not show postage amount on label".
That takes about 3 minutes to create.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Re: Cost $4.85 yet charges $15.00

jus saying, $4.85 for USPS ain't all it takes to ship a package, you add 'Delivery Confirmation' and 'Insurance' cost goes up... do this daily
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
·Charter
·HughesNet Satell..

Re: Cost $4.85 yet charges $15.00

No biggie. In the orig post, Obviously Millenicom did neither.
You really CAN click the option to NOT show the shipping $ on the label. I would have felt better without seeing it on my box.

On another note. Anyone wanna buy a HP Touchpad?

said by Jim_in_VA:

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by Jim_in_VA:

I buy a lot of stuff online and most vendors don't charge extra for packing the product their selling. As a matter of fact, many don't even charge for shipping. These guys don't use shipping as a way to make a few extra dollars.

And I can't believe that they sell and ship that much product. I bet they have office staff package and ship. And I do know a little about shipping. I ran a warehouse for 22 years!

Review by Clittlej See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Beaufort,NC
Good "$60/20gb is better than $80/10gb(what verizon offers) or $60/5gb(what us cellular offers)"
Bad "Might have to buy extra equipment for a stronger signal."
Overall "Have a better monthly usage than most carriers available, no contract and does good enough for me."

It had a better plan than verizon and uscellular plus they didn't require some credit check.

On a good day I would get 1.1mbs or 114kbs.

I plan on buying a booster or amp in the near future.

Comments:

Review by nogaps See Profile

• Location: Greenbush,Alcona,MI
Good "much higher 3G cap than Sprint offers"
Bad "terse info about plans on their website"
Overall "higher caps make 3G as primary internet connection more realistic"

I'm nearing the end of a 2-year satellite provider contract (Hughesnet) and noticed recently that I had a new, strong roaming signal on my Verizon cell phone, where I used to get just 1 VZ bar and no roaming signal at all. Did some poking around and found that Sprint upgraded an old Nextel tower about 1/2 mile from my house to EVDO Rev A. I signed up with Sprint and found I was getting a workable (-80 dBm - 1.0Mb/300Kb 200ms) signal but wasn't happy with Sprint's 5GB 3G monthly cap.

So I canceled the Sprint trial and signed up for the Unlimited Plan with Millenicom. I received the Sierra 598U device from Millenicom 4-days later and popped it into my newly purchased CradlePoint MBR-1000 router. Pre-sales and install done! The only criticism I would offer in those 2 areas is that the information on their website about their plans in pretty sparse. I already knew what plan I wanted, by doing research here at BBR, but the lack of info would be pretty confusing to some potential new customers.

Connection reliability has been pretty good. Throughput is about the same as my Hughesnet connection, but of course the 3G latency, while not great, is much, much lower than satellite and SSL and IPSec connections are dramatically better (Hughesnet doesn't cache encrypted packets at their proxies on their residential plans). The 3G signal occasionally drops to 1x for a bit (no line-of-site with the tower due to trees), but I realize this is more an issue between me and Sprint, rather than Millenicom. I've purchased a directional grid antenna that I'll put up once the snow clears to hopefully firm things up.

3 weeks in and I haven't had to use tech support or any of Millenicom's other services yet.

Millenicom's 50Gb monthly cap vs. Sprint's 5GB at about the same price and no contract make Millenicom a pretty decent value if you have few other options.

Update 06/21/11

About 4 months in and all is going well. I put a directional grid antenna up a couple of months ago which increased my signal by about 17 dBm. I've lost much of that increase now that the trees have leafed out but am still seeing a darn good signal at about -70 dBm. Getting about 1.2Mb down and 400Kb up with latency of about 100ms.

member for 3.2 years, 1441 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by garymace See Profile

• Location: Mooresburg,Hawkins,TN
Good "Sorry, honestly have nothing good to say."
Bad "Poor customer support, poor speed, junk equipment."
Overall "Looking for new options."

Need high speed for a rural mountain home. Signed up for Millenicom 20GB cap plan after checking online coverage map AND verifying with customer service before ordering. After I got the device and router, it took 4 weekends working with customer service before they finally conceeded the device they sent was defective.

After I finally recieved the replacement device and got it working, I was disappointed to get speeds barely over dial-up. Max I have seen is 140kb download, but it is usually much less.

The Cradlepoint router they sell for their service is also lame. It works if you are sitting in same room as the router, but in any other room, even adjacent, the signal strength drops to nothing.

The only good thing I can think to say is there is no contract period, so I am only out the $150 worth of junk equipment.

Comments:

Review by Wartrace See Profile

• Location: Wartrace,Bedford,TN
Good "If it worked the cap is almost realistic"
Bad "It started out "ok" but now my top download speed is under 100kbps"
Overall "The reliability is terrible and I have not been able to get any help."

I switched from satilite. For the first year my service was "ok", never saw the "up to" speeds of 1.2mbps but I did see speeds in the 600kbps range. This past fall (2010) it all went to poop. My download speeds are mostly below 100kbps while the upload speeds are in the 400kbps range. VERY RARELY will I see a burst of speed even close to 600kbps.

Millenicom tech support & verizon have given up on trying to help. The tower is less than 5 miles away. They claim it is on my end. I tried two different computers, with/without antenna. It works great right at the tower site but at 5 miles away it is poop.

Millenicom "offered" to let me cancel. I have over 250 dollars of equipment sunk into this folly. I will have to cough up another 300 dollars to get reconnected to satilite again. NOTHING HAS CHANGED ON MY END.

Sure- MAYBE it will work out for you. It worked for me for a while until verizon changed something at my local tower (coinkydink it was right during the 4G rollout that my service crapped out?????)

Was it worth the 500 dollars I lost? Heck no.

Comments:

Review by Shonya1 See Profile

• Location: Portola,Plumas,CA
Good "High GB (IF you get to use it!)"
Bad "Terrible Customer Service"
Overall "Buyer Beware"

After a few months of no problems, my account usage spiraled out of control. I do minimal usage: email and web surfing. No video streaming, no downloading. After numerous excuses and finger-pointing by the company, I unplugged the USB modem and stopped using it for an entire week. The account usage climbed at a rate of almost 1 GB per day! Clearly, the problem is Millencom's. They have refused to replace my modem (which I paid them $99 for) and to credit my account for the time I couldn't use it to prove that the problem wasn't on my end. They claim I may have used my 20 GB allotment by the middle of the month, even when I explained that I hadn't done anything but email and web page surfing (and proved 1 GB per day "usage" when not even plugged in). They still haven't solved the problem, and are looking now to blame another user on the property who has her own Millenicom account (cross-contamination, they claim - hmmm, sounds impossible). Beware of their customer service if you ever have a problem with them. They are not consumer oriented. What good are 20GB per month if you're getting booted out of the system because of glitches that are theirs?

Comments:

Review by OiCU812 See Profile

• Location: Murray,Calloway,KY
Good "Great value, very good customer service tech's"
Bad " Modem's external antenna plug is easy to break, I broke mine! VZ software, not very Mac friendly"
Overall "Excellent product, fair price"

Living out in the sticks, my only shot at high speed internet was gonna be Hughesnet, or some sat. service. While looking into that I read about some guy discovered he was now in a Verison coverage area (he pulled his dish out of the ground with his tractor and said it was the best day of his life!!) After reading that I decided to take a look and WOW.... I'm about 3.6 miles from a tower....The guy with the tractor mentioned Millenicom in his post and that's how I got to where I am now.....and that's HAPPY!!!!