Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "No contract, Very fast shipping, Plug and play set up."
Bad "Low caps, but that is Verizons fault, not Millenicom's and to Millenicom's credit, their cap is double what you can get from Ver"
Overall "Would recomend over satellite for anyone that can't get anything else."

I had Hughesnet Satellite for 9 years and even though with 3G, the speeds are a bit slower, I have to say this is a much better service right now. The speeds are close to what I was getting on satellite and with the lower latency, I have to say this is much better. I ordered the early bird special with the Samsung Hotspot and I get 10 GB at 4G speeds and 10 GB at 3G speeds or 20 GB at 3g speeds since 4G isn't availible here. I average speeds of over 1 Mb/s down and 500 Kb/s up consistantly with pings running around 110ms real world and 130 to 140 in World of Warcraft. I loved the fast shipping on this, I used their cheapest shipping offer and still recieved my hotspot on the third business day after that. I have to say that if you have satellite and can get a signal from Sprint or Verizon then go with Millenicom, I don't think you could go wrong with em.

Oh and I might add that I have 4 Verizon phones and my phone gets as good or better reception than any of the others I have and the Hotspot from Millenicom gets a better signal than my phone does.

member for 7.5 years, 1196 visits, last login: 1.1 years ago

Comments:

Review by critis See Profile

• Location: Mullins,Marion,SC
Good "basicly unlimited"
Bad "they hide the fact that it not truely unlimited"
Overall "overall decent service,where no one else serves"

overall been good service. signed up 2 years ago and the 1st usb modem they sent was bad. call them up and tech gave me number for another place to get a new modem sent. wish tech could have handle that themselves. only time ive ever called them and glad i dont need to they were more about having me do all the work to solve my problem then them doing it. but where i live it dial up sat or wireless. att stops dsl service 2000 feet from my house and has more lies about why they cant give me dsl service. best lie was the 2nd tier tech. who told me i had special coil on my house and i would never be able to have dsl. another thing i dislike is millenicom doesnt give you a email account. most isp give you email account. the service is through sprint and there speed isnt the best but it sure beats dial-up speed and sat caps and trottling.

member for 12.7 years, 1317 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Urdahere See Profile

• Location: Groton,Tompkins,NY
Overall "Only high speed service available in my area."

Over the years, I've tried everything. Dialup was anywhere from 18-33 kbs. HughesNet for a couple of years was OK, but issues with the weather. Found out about Millenicom and signed up in February of 2009. I bought the works, modem, router and amplifier. It was great. My wife could use her desktop (Citrix) at work with hardly any lag time.

What I really liked was the fact that in the summer, I would just pack up the equipment and take it to our summer home. Also, when we traveled either by car or by AMTRAK we had access to the Internet. I always used it in hotels too for the security.

My problem now is that for the past year my speeds are all over the place. I'm hitting a cell tower that is about 7 miles away with a hill in between. I'm dead in the water without the amplifier. What I've decided the problem is, is that there is a college that is within a mile of the tower and the students are using up the bandwidth with videos and smart phones. To me this is not a Millenicom issue, but it is with Verizon. I'm just one of probably hundreds of people who are having a speed issue, but they're probably not going to do anything about it. I've talked with Verizon's tech support and there have been no improvements.

Any suggestions out there?

member for 8.4 years, 48 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by garymace See Profile

• Location: Mooresburg,Hawkins,TN
Good "Only choice I have right now. other than that... no goods."
Bad "Slow, unreliable, too expensive for speed."
Overall "If this is your only option like me, well, I guess you are stuck. Don't expect much."

I use millenicom because where I live, I have few options. It works OK
70% of the time but I am by no means happy with it. It is slow,
unreliable and expensive for the speed you actually get. Also, took forever to get it to work. First gadget they sent didn't work and it was like pulling teeth to get a replacement.

Praying that real high speed makes it to my area soon.

Comments:

Review by travis5379 See Profile

• Location: Rathdrum,Kootenai,ID
Good "Verizon speed and 20 GB for 60 a month"
Bad "The only billing option they allow is auto-recurring debit/credit card"
Overall "Good so far"

This review is for Millenicom 3G high speed internet using the Novatel USB760 modem. At the time I signed up (June 2, 2011), they offered a 20 GB plan that cost 60 USD per month. This was the "Advanced Plan." They no longer have that plan and instead offer 50 GB for $70. My bill hasn't increased, so they must've grandfathered my plan. I'm not sure how much longer they will continue to do so. As part of the plan, I had to purchase the USB modem for $99. There was also a $50 (approx) set-up fee.

Before signing up for Millenicom, I was a Cricket 3G subscriber for about a year and a half. The plan I had was 5 GB for 60 a month. The great thing about Cricket was that they didn't charge you if you went over your cap. The service was passable, but not great. At peak usage times, my speeds were 200-300 Kbps down and 200 Kbps up. At non-peak times, it was 500 Kbps down and 300 Kbps up. Not great, but it was sufficient enough to play World of Warcraft.

A few months ago, Cricket adopted new pricing plans. The old plan, which I had, was $40 a month for 5 GB. And no overage fees. And then they changed it to $40 for 2.5 GB, $50 for 5, and $60 for 7.5. And just recently they've increased their prices yet again, this time adding $5 to each plan. So the (current) pricing is $45, $55, and $65.

To compare the old pricing that I had with the current pricing means that my bill would've went up 37% in less than a year's time. However, they did grandfather my $40 at 5 GB. Unfortunately, they decided to enforce their data caps right about the time they introduced new pricing plans. Probably to force the $40 people like myself to switch over to the more expensive 7.5 GB plan. So one day after noticing that my speed had been throttled down to 50 Kbps, I called them and they verified that my speed had been throttled due to exceeding my 5 GB cap. As 50 Kbps is quite unacceptable, I had them upgrade my account to 7.5 GB and my speed was restored to normal. Unfortunately, that also meant my bill increased by 50%.

Unhappy that I was paying $60 a month for what amounted to 300 Kbps and a 7.5 GB cap, I went searching for a new ISP. I considered the usual suspects (Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, even Virgin and T-Mobile), looking for a good value on 3G internet access. I didn't find any. Virgin used to offer 5 GB for $40 a month with no overage fees, but that was simply a bait and switch, as they have since gotten rid of that plan.

Cricket was barely a good value at $40 a month. At $60? Nah. No way. Not for that low of speed. The kicker is that when I called them to cancel my service, I was greeted by an Indian woman named "Michelle." Yeah, ok. Outsourcing debates aside, is it really necessary to insult the intelligence of your customers by pretending that your Indian tech support staff have American names?

Enough about Cricket. This review is for Millenicom, which I found by doing a simple web search for 3G providers. They seemed like a good value, so I came here to see what the cold, hard truth was on them. The reviews checked out, so I decided to give Millenicom a shot. I ordered the basic plan, not wanting to spend the $99 to purchase the modem until I knew whether the service was good. As I mentioned earlier, I ordered the service on June 2, 2011, the modem shipped the next day, and arrived on June 6. Setup was a breeze. I just plugged the modem in, and Windows XP took care of everything. I immediately ran a speed test, and was pleasantly surprised to see the results. 1.2 Mbps downstream and 500 Kbps up. A fourfold increase over my usual Cricket speed. Over the course of the next several weeks, I ran periodic speed tests, at various times of the day, and the results were between 1 and 1.5 Mbps down and 400 to 700 Kbps up. It should be noted that the plan I have with Millenicom uses the Verizon network. They have another plan that uses the Sprint network.

I've read DSL Reports for years (my account was created in 2005) but this is my first ISP review. I will keep this review updated if anything changes with my account or there's any drastic changes in speed. I've been using the service for a little over a month and so far, I'm pleased with it.

December 5, 2011 Update:

Service is running great. I've attached an image of the results of a typical speedtest, once again it's using Verizon's EVDO Revision A network. I'm not using anything to boost the signal.

member for 9.6 years, 402 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wildridge See Profile

Good "Quick Shipping"
Bad "Didn't work"
Overall "Millenicom dropped the ball"

I ordered the 598U modem and unlimited Sprint plan from Millenicom. According to the Sprint map, my area is covered well by 3G. When I received and installed the modem, it had no signal indoors or out. Millenicom tech support passed me on to Sprint. Neither Sprint or Millenicom could figure out why the modem wouldn't work. After 6 days of calling and holding and hearing them blame each other, I asked for a refund and they agreed. I didn't receive my initial $15 shipping fee back and it cost me $5 to return it. So, I'm out $20 and several hours of time for this misadventure. I'm not sure why Millenicom even has tech support if they're going to pass folks on to Sprint. Even though they didn't help much, the sales and tech support staff was friendly. The billing department, on the other hand, was absolutely rude!

Comments:

Review by jsme304 See Profile

• Location: Lampasas,Lampasas,TX
Good "We have the ability to use Sprint 3G service"
Overall "What is their to say about a company that is a reseller.."

·WildBlue
I been with Millenicom since Sept. of '09... since then, our only dealings with Millenicom is that they debit our credit card on the first of the month.. for the use of a provided Sprint modem phone number. With that phone number and a modem that I purchased on the net... I am able to use the Sprint 3g Wireless network ... Nothing more or less.. Millenicom provides a service that I accepted and is using.

Comments:

Review by davidhoffman See Profile

• Location: Warner Robins,Houston,GA
Good "The modem works as expected."
Bad "Shipping failure."
Overall "Bad shipping experience from a great company."

I have recommended Millenicom for many months to others and finally was able to get out of my Verizon contract with no ETF so I could sign up myself. I waited to see if Millenicom would offer a LTE modem for use with Verizon. After a few months I decided to just get the USB760 Advanced Plan. Millenicom shipped the first USB 760 modem in a box too big to fit in my apartment's mailbox. So the mailman left it outside my door. It was stolen, while I was still at work. I called Millenicom when the scheduled delivery date passed and no modem was in my mailbox. After confirming what had happened with the Postmaster, they shipped a second USB 760 modem with a requirement that the package have a signature for delivery or be picked up with photo ID at the post office. I think Millenicom needs to rethink the outer package size used for postal shipping. I am thinking a weatherproof envelope with bubble wrap would have fit in the mailbox.

The Millenicom modem works the same as the Verizon one I have now. I definitely like the fact that Linux drivers are available so I can use it on my Asus netbook with Linux. Verizon was of no help in that area. Now I can watch a little more video when I am out in the country or download bigger files without worrying about going over my monthly limit. Hopefully in a couple of years there will be a LTE modem from Millenicom with the same kind of reasonable monthly limits.

member for 4.9 years, 2160 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Clittlej See Profile

• Location: Aurora,Beaufort,NC
Good "$60/20gb is better than $80/10gb(what verizon offers) or $60/5gb(what us cellular offers)"
Bad "Might have to buy extra equipment for a stronger signal."
Overall "Have a better monthly usage than most carriers available, no contract and does good enough for me."

It had a better plan than verizon and uscellular plus they didn't require some credit check.

On a good day I would get 1.1mbs or 114kbs.

I plan on buying a booster or amp in the near future.

Comments:

Review by nogaps See Profile

• Location: Greenbush,Alcona,MI
Good "much higher 3G cap than Sprint offers"
Bad "terse info about plans on their website"
Overall "higher caps make 3G as primary internet connection more realistic"

I'm nearing the end of a 2-year satellite provider contract (Hughesnet) and noticed recently that I had a new, strong roaming signal on my Verizon cell phone, where I used to get just 1 VZ bar and no roaming signal at all. Did some poking around and found that Sprint upgraded an old Nextel tower about 1/2 mile from my house to EVDO Rev A. I signed up with Sprint and found I was getting a workable (-80 dBm - 1.0Mb/300Kb 200ms) signal but wasn't happy with Sprint's 5GB 3G monthly cap.

So I canceled the Sprint trial and signed up for the Unlimited Plan with Millenicom. I received the Sierra 598U device from Millenicom 4-days later and popped it into my newly purchased CradlePoint MBR-1000 router. Pre-sales and install done! The only criticism I would offer in those 2 areas is that the information on their website about their plans in pretty sparse. I already knew what plan I wanted, by doing research here at BBR, but the lack of info would be pretty confusing to some potential new customers.

Connection reliability has been pretty good. Throughput is about the same as my Hughesnet connection, but of course the 3G latency, while not great, is much, much lower than satellite and SSL and IPSec connections are dramatically better (Hughesnet doesn't cache encrypted packets at their proxies on their residential plans). The 3G signal occasionally drops to 1x for a bit (no line-of-site with the tower due to trees), but I realize this is more an issue between me and Sprint, rather than Millenicom. I've purchased a directional grid antenna that I'll put up once the snow clears to hopefully firm things up.

3 weeks in and I haven't had to use tech support or any of Millenicom's other services yet.

Millenicom's 50Gb monthly cap vs. Sprint's 5GB at about the same price and no contract make Millenicom a pretty decent value if you have few other options.

Update 06/21/11

About 4 months in and all is going well. I put a directional grid antenna up a couple of months ago which increased my signal by about 17 dBm. I've lost much of that increase now that the trees have leafed out but am still seeing a darn good signal at about -70 dBm. Getting about 1.2Mb down and 400Kb up with latency of about 100ms.