Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by garymace See Profile

• Location: Mooresburg,Hawkins,TN
Good "Sorry, honestly have nothing good to say."
Bad "Poor customer support, poor speed, junk equipment."
Overall "Looking for new options."

Need high speed for a rural mountain home. Signed up for Millenicom 20GB cap plan after checking online coverage map AND verifying with customer service before ordering. After I got the device and router, it took 4 weekends working with customer service before they finally conceeded the device they sent was defective.

After I finally recieved the replacement device and got it working, I was disappointed to get speeds barely over dial-up. Max I have seen is 140kb download, but it is usually much less.

The Cradlepoint router they sell for their service is also lame. It works if you are sitting in same room as the router, but in any other room, even adjacent, the signal strength drops to nothing.

The only good thing I can think to say is there is no contract period, so I am only out the $150 worth of junk equipment.

Comments:

Review by Wartrace See Profile

• Location: Wartrace,Bedford,TN
Good "If it worked the cap is almost realistic"
Bad "It started out "ok" but now my top download speed is under 100kbps"
Overall "The reliability is terrible and I have not been able to get any help."

I switched from satilite. For the first year my service was "ok", never saw the "up to" speeds of 1.2mbps but I did see speeds in the 600kbps range. This past fall (2010) it all went to poop. My download speeds are mostly below 100kbps while the upload speeds are in the 400kbps range. VERY RARELY will I see a burst of speed even close to 600kbps.

Millenicom tech support & verizon have given up on trying to help. The tower is less than 5 miles away. They claim it is on my end. I tried two different computers, with/without antenna. It works great right at the tower site but at 5 miles away it is poop.

Millenicom "offered" to let me cancel. I have over 250 dollars of equipment sunk into this folly. I will have to cough up another 300 dollars to get reconnected to satilite again. NOTHING HAS CHANGED ON MY END.

Sure- MAYBE it will work out for you. It worked for me for a while until verizon changed something at my local tower (coinkydink it was right during the 4G rollout that my service crapped out?????)

Was it worth the 500 dollars I lost? Heck no.

Comments:

Review by Shonya1 See Profile

• Location: Portola,Plumas,CA
Good "High GB (IF you get to use it!)"
Bad "Terrible Customer Service"
Overall "Buyer Beware"

After a few months of no problems, my account usage spiraled out of control. I do minimal usage: email and web surfing. No video streaming, no downloading. After numerous excuses and finger-pointing by the company, I unplugged the USB modem and stopped using it for an entire week. The account usage climbed at a rate of almost 1 GB per day! Clearly, the problem is Millencom's. They have refused to replace my modem (which I paid them $99 for) and to credit my account for the time I couldn't use it to prove that the problem wasn't on my end. They claim I may have used my 20 GB allotment by the middle of the month, even when I explained that I hadn't done anything but email and web page surfing (and proved 1 GB per day "usage" when not even plugged in). They still haven't solved the problem, and are looking now to blame another user on the property who has her own Millenicom account (cross-contamination, they claim - hmmm, sounds impossible). Beware of their customer service if you ever have a problem with them. They are not consumer oriented. What good are 20GB per month if you're getting booted out of the system because of glitches that are theirs?

Comments:

Review by OiCU812 See Profile

• Location: Murray,Calloway,KY
Good "Great value, very good customer service tech's"
Bad " Modem's external antenna plug is easy to break, I broke mine! VZ software, not very Mac friendly"
Overall "Excellent product, fair price"

Living out in the sticks, my only shot at high speed internet was gonna be Hughesnet, or some sat. service. While looking into that I read about some guy discovered he was now in a Verison coverage area (he pulled his dish out of the ground with his tractor and said it was the best day of his life!!) After reading that I decided to take a look and WOW.... I'm about 3.6 miles from a tower....The guy with the tractor mentioned Millenicom in his post and that's how I got to where I am now.....and that's HAPPY!!!!

Comments:

Review by jbrewno See Profile

• Location: Port Byron,Cayuga,NY
Good "20gb cap a month"
Overall "Blows Wild Blue out of the water!"

·TDS Communications
10 Month Review
Still going strong, oh and Millenicom upped the usage from 10gb to 20gb.

6 Month Review:

Millenicom is a great company. I am on the Verizon 10gb a month plan with them. Good for gaming too! Ping usually 70-100 on Counter Strike Source and games like that.

Here is a list of speeds users get on Millenicom Verizon based service.

»Post your VERIZON Novatel USB760 Speed Test Results

I use this service just for my desktop. If cable,dsl, or fios were to come along id definitely switch.

Oh and since i get my Verizon service through Millenicom i get twice the bandwith that i would get from Verizon itself! Yea pretty strange i thought to but im not complaining! Oh and $59.99 a month really is $59.99 a month. No hidden fees!

Bottom line. (If your using this at your house only!)

If you can not get cable or dsl out at your house and you like to play video games. Make sure you get this service over any satellite services.

Cable>Millenicom>Dial Up>Satelite

member for 4.7 years, 688 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sam_j See Profile

• Location: Wilson,Wilson,NC

My only option for high speed internet is this service or satellite. So far I like it. It isn't always as fast as I would like but it certainly beats the alternative.

Comments:

Review by coxzy See Profile

• Location: Goochland,Goochland,VA
Good "reliable"
Bad "need better firmware updates"
Overall "all around a good investment untill something better comes along"

better than dialup and satelite

novatel usb 760

member for 12.1 years, 581 visits, last login: 3.9 years ago

Comments:

Review by Belinrahs See Profile

• Location: Nashville,Barry,MI
Good "Unlimited service (for $10 more a month), fast, low pings compared to sat"
Bad "Simply doesn't compete with the reliability of hardwired internet, or even satellite"
Overall "I'd rather have slower speeds and unlimited bandwidth than faster speeds and a cap"

·FreedomNet Wirel..
UPDATE 6: Well, a WISP has come out my way and I signed up with them, so I've cancelled Millenicom. It was a wild ride but I think overall worth it. Thanks for all your help and I wish you luck in your future endeavors. You haven't seen the last of me in the Millenicom forum...

UPDATE 5: Millenicom sent me a new Novatel Ovation U760 and it's working like a dream. They called me and said they were sending a Sierra 598U, but my mantra that you can't trust a word they say, stands. Changing my ratings to reflect my new experience.

You should know that my ratings reflect MY experience. It will depend on your location and your setup, how well it works for you.

UPDATE 4: I'm reworking my ratings above. At this point, my connection is very, very sketchy at best. It'll switch from EVDO to 1xRTT without warning, and the Franklin device can't make a choice on which tower pilot it wants to connect to. I'm seeking a way to get a different device. I'm desperate here !!

UPDATE 3: Moved monthly cost to $70 (I upgraded to Unlimited) and I changed the Pros and Cons. Still very happy with my service, and until something like DSL or fixed wireless appears around here, I'll be sticking with Millenicom. Consider me a satisfied customer.

UPDATE 2: Just since the most recent update, I've been sent a new Franklin CDU-680, and connectivity shot up to something very fast and reliable - I'm quite happy with it now. Also, the "invisible caps" myth seems to be busted, they're releasing new packages, 60$ for 5 gig a month, and 70$ for unlimited bandwidth. Not so invisible, and there's a big difference between 5 gig and pretty-much-infinite gigs, only for 10$ a month. Definitely worth it, I'll be going with that! At this point I will be bumping Connection reliability from a 3 (middling) to a 4 (pretty darn reliable and fast).

UPDATE: I just had some pretty unique issues with Sprint and Millenicom which I'm fully documenting for all to see at »Speed cut due to usage . I have decided to bump the Tech Support rating on this review from 5 (best rating possible) to a 4, because while they are very friendly and do try hard to help out if they can, there is a marked lack of follow up when they tell you they'll have somebody call you back. Over the several times they've told me they would call back in a few hours, I've never, ever, EVER gotten such a call back.

Original review:

I had HughesNet for a long time before I found out about Millenicom right here on BBR, so I checked out their site and asked for a site survey. They said that I'd get excellent service here, and considering I get 4 bars on my Sprint phone around here, I thought I'd give them a shot (why not? no contract!). I received the Franklin CDU-680 USB aircard. At first it was pretty awful because I ended up getting pretty terrible signal (about -95dBm to -105dBm). I talked to the folks at 3Gstore.com who recommended that I get the 32" omni external antenna. I went for it considering it wasn't all that much, $80, and I installed it on an old Dish Network satellite dish mount. I now get about -72dBm constantly and top speeds of about 1.2-1.3 megabits down, which isn't bad considering I'm on a single T1 tower.

I'm pretty worried about the supposed "invisible caps" they're placing, but as far as I can tell I'm still unlimited...I've gone over 15-20 gig's in a month without a peep from the folks at Millenicom or Sprint. I'll be perfectly fine and will stay with this service, satisfied, unless they decide to impose those caps on me.

Comments:

Review by Lonig See Profile

• Location: Nevada,Vernon,MO
Good "Cost, Speed, Ease of Use, Bandwidth Limit compared to other providers"
Bad "Initial Customer Service"
Overall "Solid company, service was excellent in 2 states. Will use again if DSL is not available, or I start to travel more."

Service was excellent in 2 states (central SC and SW Missouri) and also along I40 when I moved between the 2. I had service for 2 months (5/2010 - 7/2010) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

- FAR better speed/latency than HughesNet, in my area (SC is where I had HughesNet).

- Also cost less per month (I paid 59.99/mo for 10gb limit).

- Startup cost was $198, but I bought the usb modem/dongle. I was offered a lease option for $99 less, but chose against it.

- I played several MMOs while networked with my other computer(both playing). We played WOW, EVE Online, and Combat Arms, all of which has 100-200ms, even during peak times.

- For Wow players, this means we did 25 man Ony and didn't lag out during Whelps. Both players on same connection. We also did 25 man ICC, 25 man TOC, etc. This connection is solid for raiding.

- Networking is possibly difficult to setup (for non-technical) if you do not buy a router made for 3G USB Dongle sharing. It is done through Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) in Windows. Because of this, I would highly recommend buying a new router with the ability to share the USB Dongles connection. (I did not do this).

- Canceling my service was very easy, and the lady on the phone made it a pleasant experience. She did inform me I can reactivate at any time and still have no contract.

Overall, I highly recommend this service(I had VZW resell) to anyone who cannot get DSL/Cable/Fiber. If your options are Satellite or Dialup or Millenicom, choose Millenicom. By far a better experience than any Satellite can provide.

Again, my service length was only short due to moving and having the option for DSL. I will come back to this company in the future.

Comments:

Review by Cap2010 See Profile

• Location: Foley,Baldwin,AL
Good "Good service, great price!"
Overall "Its a keeper"

I have been with Millenicom for about 5 months now and I am happy with the service. I needed Internet service that was portable to use on the job. I have AT&T cell phone service so naturally I tried out their data card plan first but immediately started looking elsewhere for better. I decided to try Verizon. Verizon was great but since I went from bad to great in one move I decided "why not keep on looking for better?" It wasn't long before I discovered Millenicom but the web site was a bit vague and I was skeptical to try it until I discovered DSLreports.com. I can't say enough good about all you guys here on the Millenicom forum that offer advice, tips, tweaks, and help to folks like me, you know who you are, yall are great, thanks! After I read the mostly good reports on Millenicom I had no problem taking the plunge and I am glad I did.

How and why I rated Millenicom the way I did.

Pre Sales Info - I gave only a 3 for Pre Sales Info because the web site, at the time, was um a little sub par but has since been upgraded to a much easier and user friendly site.

Install Process - 5/5 on the install. It came with instructions and was simple.

Connection Reliability - 5/5, no problems staying connected. Speeds are generally around 1.25 Mbps to 2 Mbps up and .25 to .75 Mbps down. Thats with the modem only in my laptop. No external antennas, amps or boosters.

Tech Support - 4/5 After my initial install I called tech because I thought I should be getting better speeds (.350 Mbps to .475 Mbps) than what I was. After the tech had me do a reinstall he agreed with me that the speed should be a little better than it was. He decided to start a ticket and informed me that he had done all he could and someone from the next level up would be calling me the next day. I never got that call but I didn't call back either. I got all the help I needed right here at dslreports.com

Services - 5/5. From order placed to my house - 4 days. The one time I did call tech I was able to get a real person on the line quick and the person that answered my call was the one that helped me. It doesn't get any better than that in my book.

Value for money - 5/5. Its a no brainer - 10 GB for $60, NO CONTRACT! and NO TAXES & FEES!