Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by T_Flight See Profile

Removed

Comments:

Review by mooch See Profile

• Location: Johnstown,Licking,OH
Good "unlimited plan through the Sprint network and no contract"
Bad "at times customer service is a bit lacking...though I've seen far worse"
Overall "Far better than signing on directly with Sprint or Verizon and blows hughesnet away!"

·Embarq Now Centu..
I had mentioned that tech support is a bit lacking. I've not really had issues to put them to a test but one great thing is that you do talk to someone here in the states rather than in India.

member for 13.3 years, 4607 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by wareagletsf See Profile

• Location: Hartford,Hartford,CT
Good "Unlimited for 69.99, easy setup, good speed"
Bad "GPS is a hit and miss"
Overall "good service for the travling laptop, needs better GPS service"

I like the service, I am in a urban area(Hartford CT), but it is next to impossible to get DSL installed at work, so this meets my needs for work and or commuting access.

I love the no cap on the unlimited, I was on sprint and ended up with $200 to $300 a month in overages.

Speeds are not great but not totally bad either.

gps is a hit or miss for tracking movement.

member for 8.7 years, 1578 visits, last login: 2.4 years ago

Comments:

Review by Kevin_H See Profile

• Location: Suffolk,Suffolk City,VA
Good "1,000,000 % better than hughesnet, pings are 100 and below instead of 3000 and below like hughes, doesnt go out when it rains!!!"
Bad "Peak times are still present but understandable and not a hack job like hughes peak hours"
Overall "Grade: B"

If you have dial-up or hughes, GET THIS NOW YOU WILL THANK ME A MILLION TIMES IF YOU DO I PROMISE YOU!!!!! except if your a gb whore....then you may despise me...aha but if you like speed or gaming get this, i really mean it. it relieves all the anger you've accumulated with hughesnet.

Comments:

Review by jane8851 See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Greene,NY
Good "Good customer support."
Bad "5GB cap."
Overall "Better than sat or dialup if you have no other options."

Good choice if your options are otherwise limited to sat or dialup.

Comments:

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Excellent deal, good tech support, portable"
Bad "none so far."
Overall "The best WBB deal around, a definite alternative to satellite"

·AT&T Wireless Br..
I was a disgruntled Hughes satellite user, and to make a long story short, I finally got out of my contract with no penalty, and they gave me a partial rebate for what I spent on gear.

After trying out Sprint to see if I had enough signal, which I did, I switched to Millenicom.. Millenicom's offer was almost $20 month less, with no contract, and they also used a better device, the Franklin CDU 680 USB modem. MC is a sprint reseller so they operate over sprint's infrastructure. If sprint works, they'll work.

They sent the package (modem and router) via Post Office Priority mail and it arrived in 4 days, and everything was up and running that afternoon, and within one or two afternoons of reconfiguring computers and devices on my existing equipment, all wireless systems were operational and everything was working nicely on my 3 station network. My setup has had so many different types of IP connections that getting rid of the old tweaking was half the job.

Even before I owned their product, I had several good conversations with their tech support people and I was impressed by their desire to make it happen for you, with no BS.

So the choice was clear. Millenicom also offers a good deal on a compatible router, the Assent Wireless MBR-400, and they charge $50 less for it than if you bought it retail. So when you add it all up, it's a very good package for the money, it works smoothly and it's far superior to satellite in every aspect. Three cheers for Millenicom, and let's hope they grow and don't lose their personal touch.

UPDATE 8/1/08: MCom has raised their fee to 59.99/mo, but it is still uncapped and still works nicely, and still no contract required. They've also opened up their service to users who have their own devices.

UPDATE 3/09/09 I recently changed my equipment from the CDU680/Assent MBR400 combination originally sold to me by MCom, to a Sierra 598U I purchased on EBay for $99, and a Cradlepoint CTR500A router.

The difference is huge, especially in staying connected. The new rig stays on for days at a time, and when it does disconnect, it reconnects automatically, often within seconds. I've never caught it "dead in the water," unlike the CDU/MBR setup, which would 'crash,' for lack of a better term, when I plugged in my grid antenna. The grid works perfectly with the new setup, yielding about 16db gain of its rated 18db. The Sierra also seems to discriminate better between competing antennas, locking in to just one active pilot at a time, again, unlike the CDU, which jumped around all over the place, showing as many as 4 active pilots at one time. Speeds are at least as good, perhaps 25% better, but overall useability is way up.

MCom's headquarters tech support was terrific in making this switchover. Without mentioning names, as is requested by the forum rules, I emailed to one of their support personnel and received a telephone call from that person, and we took it from there, easily. I don't know if they'll do it for new accounts, but I already had an account for a year. Well worth the expense of the Sierra and the Cradlepoint, which I might point out, is a better router and has a more complete interface than the Assent.

UPDATE 10/09. It's closing in on two years that I've been using Millenicom and I have to say I'm pretty satisfied, especially since changing my hardware rig as described above. I did move up to the new "really unlimited" account for another $10 a month. It's worth it to me to not have to worry about ridiculous overage charges or getting cut off. And since internet is my main source for watching Yankee games, it would be easy to burn up 5Gb in a month...one game takes about 600Mb or more.

There's NOTHING else to choose from up here in the mountains where we live. Forget about DSL or cable, and you can read my comments about Hughes above and on a separate review of HN. Were it not for MBB, it would be death by dial-up. In fact, I used to keep a dialup account for those times when my HN satellite went down and for remotely accessing client computers, since HN worked like crap for RA. That's been canceled as unnecessary, saving me another $20/month.

Dealing with Millenicom has been fairly easy. I can email one of their senior techs and he responds quickly enough. He made the switchover from the CDU to the Sierra painless. So overall I'd have to give MCom a B+, maybe even an A for me individually since I really have so few other choices.

Comments:

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "Puts Sprint to shame"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "I'm happy!"

Sprint threatened me so I moved, boy am I glad i did!

Comments:

Review by Robb0 See Profile

• Location: Louisa,Louisa,VA
Good "Easy to install"
Bad "Horrible, unreliable service, worst than dial-up."
Overall "Not recommended, their service is complete BS."

When I first got Millenicom, it was amazing, the speeds, the reliability was pretty good; then, their speeds started dropping drastically, I was getting kicked off every five minutes and at some points, couldn't even get on. I talked to Tech Support and they said "perhaps people were working on the towers," which is complete BS considering I have had Millenicom since the beginning of the year and it's progressively getting worst. I got Millenicom because unlimited data seemed pretty sweet and I thought it'd be an upgrade from Wildblue's crappy service but I was evidently dead wrong. Ever since they put in their "FAP," is when the service got at it's worst. Such a disappointment and not recommended.

Comments:

Review by Giamesh See Profile

• Location: Radford,Radford,VA
Good "Good company, they provide quality technical support."
Bad "Now including 5GB cap. Waiting to be put on unlimited service."

Unless I'm given what I signed on for to begin with (I don't like to worry about a 5gb cap - in my opinion is a ridiculous cap for some $60 a month) I'm going to cancel the service.

It was stated as "unlimited" when I had first signed up with the service, just as Verizon's dialup 2gb cap, this service had one at 5gb. Now this is common knowledge VIA email from Millenicom to all their subscribers.

EDIT:
Was put on Millenicom's Unlimited service using Franklin CDU 680, unfortunately I've been receiving only 20-25kbps and 1000+ millisecond latency. I've been informed this is because the immediate Sprint tower is being worked on, hopefully this will be resolved soon enough.

I honestly hope the bill H.R. 2902 Broadband Internet Fairness Act is successful into forcing more providers such as Verizon into providing a better excuse then "because we can" for bandwidth caps. The equipment is there to provide the bandwidth, use that massively inflated profit to provide us with something worth having.

EDIT:
Now on the Unlimited plan, it frequently drops to 1xRTT even when set for EVDO only, does not resume EVDO unless manually reconnecting.

Comments:

Review by jfd15 See Profile

• Location: West Sacramento,Yolo,CA
Good "still the best value for mobile broadband for now"
Bad "just put in place the 5 GB/month cap"
Overall "may have some new options in the works, until then marginally better option than the larger companies"

i ordered the "unlimited" mobile broadband service for $60/month on July 2nd 2009 and found out by the time i got it that it was no longer "unlimited"....had i been following DSL Reports' Millenicom forum i would have seen this was in the works for a few months already...i had their service last year and im guessing i got away with 15-20 GB for some months as it was my only way to access the internet....to me its still a good company as they apparently buy the bandwidth from Verizon and Sprint and those companies demanded the 5 GB cap, so there was not really much Millenicom could do....the main benefit i see now is that Millenicom is a month to month service so you dont hae to sign 2-yr contract......