Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by Agnorok See Profile

• Location: Roy,Pierce,WA
Good "Internet connection better than dial-up"
Bad "Bad to zero customer service"
Overall "Only use if you don't mind losing money due to customer service"

If you have problem using the service or a component that you purchased from the Mellenicom website do not expect to get it resolved. Their customer service consists of leaving your contact info on a voice mail, to which they never reply. And they take zero responsibility for all the equipment you buy from them and instead send somewhere else which has the same level of customer service.

Comments:

Review by AciD_BurN See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "Good company with poor tech support"
Bad "No connection mgr software of their own"
Overall "Use if you have some EVDO technical savvy and want service with no contract"

Millenicom is a reseller and will get you hooked up to whatever tower you are near. You need to find out what carrier they have assigend to you and then download that carrier's connection software yourself. Otherwise you are stuck with no data such as signal strength etc.

If you want to stay out of contracts and don't mind below average tech support, this company does deliver exactly what it promises... Wireless data connection with no contract.

$59.95 is what you really pay too. No B.S. 911 surcharges, FCC charges, taxes, etc.

Comments:

Review by ozley See Profile

• Location: TN000
Good "Better than 24.6"
Bad "with the speed over 1000Kbps there can't be anything bad"
Overall "it works and I don't wait for pages to load"

I had no other options for broadband I just could see paying for Satellite.
EVDO at 59.00 a month signed up on the web site and three days later at 9 AM the UM175 came 10 mins. later I was on line.

Comments:

Review by grumpy3b See Profile

• Location: Lompoc,Santa Barbara,CA
Good "Fast pre-sales & post sale service & support. NO LONG TERM CONTRACT"
Bad "Still a growing business so a few hiccups can happen..."
Overall "Outstanding option to getting EVDO from Sprint or Verizon"

I have nothing but good to say about Millenicom. They sell UNLIMITED EVDO over Sprint's EVDO network. You have no commitment to a long term contract. There is a $50 setup fee but you get a FREE EVDO device. In my case they sent a Franklin CDU-680 USB EVDO device.

If next month I decide to end the service I am only out the setup fee and the service I paid for to date. You cannot do that with the "big boys" like Sprint or Verizon.

The modem sets itself up in a few minutes and viola you are connected. All the software need is on the modem itself. It supports Linux, XP & Mac OS's out of the box.

From talking to other Millenicom customers their support is ready & willing to get you the best connection you can have from your location.

I can really recommend this company to someone who wants/needs mobile broadband but is reluctant due to the cost of the modem device & a 2-year agreement...

These guys are the DSLExtreme of the MBB world!

UPDATE: Well, since the forced switch to Crapizon my connection speed has dropped by 35%-40% and I also lost the ability to use my Cradlepoint CTR350 with the Pantech UM175 MBB device I was sent to replace the CDU680 by Franklin.

I am completely underwhelmned by the service itelf now. Also in how this latest fiasco with Srint simply cancelling a bunch of accounts that were with Millenicom was below average for certain.

As of now the best case I get about 800kbps/450kbps...and I have tested the connection as low as 140/35. I also find the more I use the connection during a session the slower it gets...can you say bandwidth throttling? I so do not like ding business with Crapizon even if it is via a 3rd party.

I was consistantly getting 1200-1500kbos/800-900kbps with the Sprint based device. I simply am unsure what I will do now but I am considering cancelling my service. Much as I want to support a new growing company, I feel I am getting far less value for my money now and it is no where near worth the $60/mo it now costs.

This is a backup service fro me but speed is important...though it has saved me tonight when my DSL just *poof'd* but the bandwidth is simply abysmal...

Comments:

Review by kuei12 See Profile

• Location: Rockford,Winnebago,IL
Good "They used to be good"
Bad "Deceitful tactics with out dated tech"
Overall "avoid"

Millenicom? How about MilleniCON?

MilleniCON lost their contract with sprint. Now they are appearantly with verizon. Instead of getting broadband speeds you now get dial up speeds (115kbts) for the same price. $60/month for rediculously slow dialup. They tried to pull a fast one on their customers by not telling them about the contract or speed changes. When customers called to complain they told them there was a problem with their franklin 680 and they needed to send in for a replacement. In return you get an entirely different (cheap POS) verizon compatable modem.

Now when you call and complain about the speeds being 1/10th of promised broadband speeds they give you the runaround. Then when you want to cancel. Your contract they play the "we never received the device in original box with cd back" game. So, the only way to immediately close your account with milleniCON is to have your bank shut off your debit/credit card you signed up with for milleniCON and issue a new one. Just love being without a debit card for the holiday season.

My recommendation is:

Avoid MilleniCON like the plague. Deceitful business tactics.

member for 6 years, 1 visits, last login: 6 years ago

Comments:

Review by chadd024 See Profile

• Location: Manchester,Carroll,MD
Good "Mobility, convience."
Bad "Cell towers can be tricky."
Overall "Excellent service for those who live w/out cable and satalite"

I live in the boonies and for a while I thought my only options were satallite or dialup. I found Millenicom from this site and was skeptical. No termination fee? No contract? This must be b.s.! Well.. its not folks. This is a rare example of Here is our product, this is what it does. The only thing is, find out where your cell towers are in reference to where you'll be using this service at. I signed up online, got a confirmation email. 3 Days later I had a package. 5 minutes later (3 to boot up), i was connected to their service.

Only issued I had was emailing tech support. I had poor response time and from what I understand, calling them would have been 1000x better.

member for 6 years, 337 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by mrcansell See Profile

• Location: Leon,Butler,KS
Good "Better than satellite or dial-up. Not tied to my home. No contract requirement."
Bad "Outsourced tech support"
Overall "When your only apparent options are satellite or dial-up, go EV-DO!"

Three months ago I signed up for the Millenicom "BYOD" (bring your own device) plan to use with a Sierra Compass 597 I already owned. Initial setup was painless; I installed the software for the device and plugged it in, then sent the form to Millenicom. About an hour later, I was online. When travelling, I use the device with my Thinkpad. At home, it's plugged into a spare computer that is used as a gateway with Windows Internet Connection Sharing through a wi-fi router to three computers.

Speeds are somewhat variable. On a good day, I get 1.5Mbps down and 600Kbps up. On not so good days, I get 300 down and 50 up. Speed is somewhat tied to the weather; when it's windy speeds drop off somewhat. I am about 8 miles from the tower, and don't have line of sight as there are trees in the way which may account for the variance. Despite the numbers, actual performance is more than adequate. I can open a whole folder of links in Firefox (20 or so) and all the pages load, where on satellite (despite being "faster") most of the pages would time out.

I've had a couple of periods of no connectivity, the latest one required my device to be re-provisioned with a new MDN, but it works well despite that. Millenicom support is an odd beast. They have a 24/7 outsources help line, which works fairly well but for deep technical issues you need to talk to the main office, which is open during west-coast business hours. The main office support staff are very effficient and knowledgeable.

Despite Millenicom reselling Sprint service, you are not restricted to the Sprint terms, so there is no monthly transfer cap or roaming charges. It costs $10 more than basic Sprint service, but is so much more flexible.

I'd recommend Millenicom to anyone who's beyond the reach of normal wired internet services.

Comments:

Review by numbitfirst See Profile

• Location: Camas,Clark,WA
Good "Beats upstream provider Sprint at service with no contract, faster than Wild Blue and Dialup"
Bad "Cost increased and saturation at tower at the same time made for inconsistent performance"
Overall "Comcast made it out to the sticks, time to try them out"

I've worked for 20+ years on computers and have had access to the old bulletin boards of yesteryear. My home is located up in the hills north of Camas Wa and have had few options over the years besides dialup. Which with lousy Verizon local service was maxed at 22.6k They are a company that has no clue to investing in upgrading infrastructure, unless it is extremely high density. Modem bonding with dual lines was next, wow 44k was cruising, for awhile. Not many service providers were out there, none were reliable. WildBlue came up as my next option. Decent service until it rained or snowed, then their servicing policy when the modem blinked out was atrocious. The required a $99 no matter what and another year contract to send a tech out. Tested out Sprint, sent that back within 30 days and got Millenicom. At first i got about 868k down and 300-400k upload. Real decent when compared to bad latency WildBlue Sat or medieval dialup. Now that the service has been out for awhile our tower gets saturated at peak times and performance drops way down to at best 200k download and unbearable uploads, plus Millenicom raised the cost by 10/mo. Comcast finally dug lines down our road this month, time to try them out.

Comments:

Review by hwy67 See Profile

• Location: Madison,Dane,WI
Good "What isn't to like?"
Overall "Excellent"

I canceled the Sprint account 21 August and signed up with Millenicom the same day. The amount of time spent from filling out the application to activating the device amounted to 30-45 minutes. That's pretty incredible. Performance-wise--and this is probably just my imagination--this connection seems a lot snappier than 'mainstream' Sprint. Maybe I'll move the Franklin from the ctr-350 and then plug it into a usb port so that I can view some numbers (latency, etc.) but that can wait. Thank you, Millenicom. One final note: Activation was accomplished by simply updating my profile in the Franklin CDU-680. I did not call Millenicom support.

Comments:

Review by netwire See Profile

• Location: Mooresboro,Cleveland,NC
Good "Customer service and support is the best I have seen in a long time."
Bad "There are no bad points that I have seen."
Overall "Great service, no contract, you pay only $59.95 - no hidden or surprise fees!"

I use to have Sprint Mobile Broadband, then I discovered Millenicom. With SMB I was charged taxes and other "cost recovery" fees; but with Millenicom I pay on simple amount month to month. Another reason for me switching to Millenicom was the download per month limit that SMB has, which is 5GB. Millenicom is still and plans to remain an unlimited mb per month provider. If you have SMB, and are likely to run over 5GB/mo you should consider switching.

member for 13.6 years, 3083 visits, last login: 287 days ago