Millenicom page on DSLReports

Review by Jack_in_VA See Profile

• Location: North,Mathews,VA
Good "I have had few problems with the Hotspot plan"

Received the Verizon Hotspot Novatel 4620 LE device and immediately got online. This was to replace the 4G service from Sprint through Millenicom that was suddenly terminated by Sprint. I'm much happier with the Verizon LTE service.

member for 6.4 years, 3532 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17

Going to $89

Yes price increase effective 5/1/2014

Review by IowaMudRider See Profile

• Location: Montrose,Lee,IA
Good "Speeds, Gaming works good"
Bad "signal needs improvement to unleash full potential, 20GB cap"
Overall "If you are a wireless tech geek and have no other options except satellite go for it!"

·exede by ViaSat
·WildBlue
Wireless is by nature a shared resource. Most people plug in the modem and just expect it to work. sure if you get lucky that will probably do, but for people like me who are 4miles from the the tower through some heavy trees, it takes a little more thought to get things going. also being a shared resource your speeds on wireless will never be consistent its just the nature of the beast. i can get 2mbps down one second and the next second it could be running at dialup it just depends on what others are doing on the tower. the equipment i use is a Cradlepoint Mbr 95 with a Franklin u770 modem (apparlently i got the last 69.99 plan with the u770) and it did take many hours of tweaking to finally get them to cooperate and work with all my wireless devices, and i consider myself excellent with technology so it may be confusing for the end user, luckily sites like this are here to help those who seek help. gaming online with 3g isnt exactly the best but it will work, and if you use steam which is known to force 2gb+ updates before you can play games, the 50gb cap is a no brainer. overall very satisfied with the service and cant wait to see what sprints lte will be like when it comes to my area!

Update 10/19/13, well that didnt last long! millenicom lost their deal with sprint, HOWEVER they are providing me with a Free verizon mifi hotspot with a 20gb data limit we will see how that works out! its nice to see a company that looks out for their new customers!

Update 10/28/13 - well turns out Millenicom was able to keep their deal with sprint so i am able to keep my 50gb plan instead of switching to a 20gb hotspot very happy with that!

Update 10/30/13 ..... okay im not trying to spam... well turns out that sprint has reversed their reversed decision to keep millenicom and are instead cutting off accounts starting tomorrow? wow....now i will have to go with the hotspot plan or a different provider

within the next couple of days. if anything it is not millenicoms fault and more sprints fault and im very upset at sprint and not at millenicom really.

Update 11/14/13 - i have been rocking along with millenicoms new hotspot... i am in a no service area and i get 2 bars of LTE (-109 Rssi and snr 4 for you nerds) and the speeds are AWESOME here is a normal speedtest result i get...

»www.speedtest.net/my-result/3096921404

The connection so far has been ROCK SOLID i played Payday 2 on my pc online ALL DAY without so much as a hiccup.. and the bandwidth used was just 200mb~ for that entire session.

Comments:
pizzaman1

join:2005-09-07
San Francisco, CA

Another provider

I think cyberonic offers similar plans

Review by w5nl See Profile

• Location: Cumby,Hopkins,TX
Good "Best deal EVER if your in a Sprint LTE or WIMAX area"
Bad "No roaming agreeements, Sprint only. No unlimited plans that use Verizon."
Overall "The ONLY unlimited 4G LTE plan on an aircard or hotspot."

·eNet
·Argon Technologi..
Millenicom is a prepaid data service. Several plans are available. The best deal is the $69 BYOD unlimited plan. Using the Sierra Wireless Sprint Tri-Fi hotspot. Bought mine from Amazon for $325. I'm a truck driver and I originally got this for mobile web access. Turns out to be the best move I have ever made. The device works on 3G, 4G LTE, AND WIMAX.

In places like Denver where there is no LTE but WIMAX is available. At night there are about 2-3000 trucks 1 tower. Most can't even check their email while I'm streaming a movie. I have since had to stop driving(became disabled) and took it home. One week after I got home 4G LTE went live on our Sprint tower(small rural N.E. Texas town). Before, I had DSL from our local Telco co-op....$100/mo for 10mbps down and 1.5 up...I know, right?

Now for $69 I'm getting 20-30mbps down and no less than 10mbps up(Sprint LTE) and it's portable. Ping times run between 30-50ms. Their TOS states that usage over 50GB alerts their investigative team. Not to be used as a public or privately paid hotspot.

Their tech support consists of reps reading from the owners manual for your device and Sprint will not help you.

If you are in a Sprint 4G LTE or WIMAX area. You can't go wrong with this deal. It's awesome!

Comments:

Review by cmattax See Profile

• Location: Manakin Sabot,Goochland,VA
Good "Easier setup than HomeFusion, if you are even mildly technical. No Contract!"
Bad "Verizon still has the greatest impact on happiness factor as they maintain the network and provide customer support."
Overall "As good as or better than Verizon HomeFusion without the contract."

Millenicom costs $10/month more than Verizon HomeFusion. But in order to get HomeFusion set up with a 20Gig cap, we would have had to re-configure all of our phones to participate in Verizon's shared access plan. This would have cost us an additional $60/month and we would have to agree to a 2-year contract. I have only had it a short time, but it has surpassed my expectations. Coming from a mediocre 3G connection, it feels like DSL.

Comments:

Review by ggultra2764 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Washington,NY
Good "Bigger data cap than VZW (20 GB cap), no contract, get connection speeds on par with VZW connection."
Bad "No issues to really discuss."
Overall "Ready to jump into 4G with Millenicom's 3G/ 4G Hotspot plan."

I've seen enough positive feedback regarding Millenicom since I first heard about the service back in 2009. $60 for unlimited data usage at that time seemed like a great offer compared to the measly 5 GB Verizon was serving up for me. But by the time I was on VZW for over 2 years and I could choose to jump ship without getting an ETF, Millenicom had restricted its unlimited plan to Sprint towers and the best I could get was 5 or 10 GB data plans. This wouldn't work for me as I normally use somewhere between 10 and 15 GB a month on my Verizon connection which I get throttled for monthly. Thankfully, I first agreed to the Verizon contract back in December 2007 meaning a grandfather clause kept me from dealing with the overage fees Verizon began to hammer on their new customers in March 2008. though I still had to deal with throttling.

It wasn't until just recently I heard that Millenicom bumped up their Advanced data plan cap to 20 GB that I finally decided to jump on the chance to get their service and take advantage of their January offer where I could get the modem for free and only deal with activation and shipping fees, plus monthly payment. The online order I did went smoothly and I was able to get it four days after making my order. The modem's no where as bulky as my old Sierrra Wireless 595U Aircard I had from VZW, though still wide enough where I had to get enough space for it to fit on one of my laptop's USB ports. I did follow the instructions provided to me with the modem to install the access manager, though I did get a little confused when the installation program was nagging me for a file it needed to continue running.

So far on my first day, connection's been running smoothly as I am getting speeds about on par with my VZW connection which shouldn't be of much surprise for me considering Millenicom gets connections via Sprint and Verizon's towers. I'm glad to finally get something more reasonable from Millenicom.

UPDATE (2/2/2011): Switched out the access manager coming with the modem for the one from Verizon. Had no way to know how much data I'm using per month with the other one thus the switch. So far, I'm still retaining a good connection with the modem. The bandwidth fluctuated for a bit today, but I imagine it was only something up with the tower nearby since I was hammered by a snow storm. Latest speed test results I took via Speedtest.net are 1.13 Mbps for download and 0.39 Mbps for upload with 139 ms for latency.

UPDATE (6/21/2011): Approaching the five month mark since hopping over to Millenicom. Connection's still holding up well for me for the most part with the occasional drop to 1XRTT speeds which is mostly the fault of my nearby tower. Latest speed test results I took via Speedtest.net are 1.18 Mbps for download and 0.49 Mbps for upload with 210 ms for latency.

UPDATE (1/22/2012): Been on Millenicom for nearly a year. Like many folks, I was a victim of the frequent fluctuating data speeds that hit Millenicom users from a couple months ago to the point where I was barely getting 300-400 kbps in data speed at points. The problem has been gone for about a month now and I've noticed a great amount of improvement in my data speeds as of late meaning either my nearby tower must have been upgraded or less people in my area are using the tower for 3G data coverage from Verizon. As of this update for my speed test, I clocked in at 1.76 Mbps for download speed and 0.51 Mbps for upload speed.

UPDATE (4/1/2013): Now been a Millenicom customer for over two years now. Recently decided to switch over to the 3G/ 4G Hotspot plan since my mother was in need of a new Internet connection since the Sierra Wireless 595U aircard she's had from Verizon Wireless for over 5 years now has started to break apart on her and figured I'd get it since Verizon's nearing completion on covering their network with LTE and I still only get EVDO/ 1XRTT speeds out here. Since my mother's desktop computer lacked the ability to connect to wireless on its own, I also winded up buying a Wi-Fi adapter off Millenicom so she would be capable of connecting to the hotspot

I'll admit my experiences with it were tricky for the first couple weeks I had it due to this being my first-time effort with personally playing administrator with the hotspot and knowing the ins and outs of working with it. My main snag was since I had the hotspot upstairs in my second-floor bedroom, my mother could barely get a workable connection for it from her downstairs computer and the hotspot was only covering the upstairs of our house with effective coverage. So I had to wind up buying a range extender to increase the effective range of the hotspot (know routers would be more potent with coverage and range, but the extender wasn't so costly) and have my mother's computer connect to the extender instead of the hotspot to get her a workable connection.

Knowing how to work the hotspot now and having two floors of our house covered in wireless with both hotspot and extender, the hotspot's been working really well. Though I only get EVDO on it right now, I still get a great connection with it with both my laptop and mother's computers connected and the latency is a great improvement over my old USB 760 modem I had from my old 3G Advanced plan, with some instances where I get latency below 100 ms. In the latest speed test I did with the hotspot via my laptop, I got 1.15 Mbps for down speed and 0.61 Mbps for up speed with a latency of 125 ms.

member for 6.6 years, 2472 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by sublime2419 See Profile

• Location: Delanson,Schenectady,NY
Good "Great Customer Service. Best internet option for my area."
Bad "Startup cost is a little high but it's definitely still worth it."
Overall "If cable internet or similar is not an option than this is your best bet."

This company is great. Before I ordered I had called their customer service line a few times and was connected with a representative immediately (no hold) each time. The rep was always professional and friendly, and after I ordered my 3G/4G Hotspot (Verizon) I decided I also wanted to purchase the USB wifi adapter. Unfortunately I had ordered the Hotspot already and thought I would have to pay additional shipping for the adapter, however when I called customer service they just added the adapter to my initial order and threw it in the box with my Hotspot when they shipped it (which was shipped the same day I ordered). I received my order 2 days after it was placed and the internet service is great. I'm so happy I didn't have to resort to satellite internet or have to pay Verizon more for less. These guys really are great...I have no complaints and would highly recommend them if cable is not available in your area.

Comments:
Mr_Thomas

join:2013-02-25
·Millenicom

I like Millenicom

Millenicom is the best in my area of Alabama, in the woods with no one around 1000 yards. surrounded by trees. Verizon 4g lte was taking a shot but it paid off big time with the Wilson booster. I get speeds of 14 -22 Mbps downloads and 4-5 Mbps uploads and 59 - 30 ping. This is very very go for my area i get no other internet service out here not even dial up. I use straight talk phone service which is pretty good also and i think they are on the Verizon Tower. 20g is alot of data unlimited would be better by 20g will do for now. If you are in doubt chose Millenicom!!

Review by applerule See Profile

• Location: Weaverville,Buncombe,NC
Good "Verizon/Sprint network for cheaper price, no contract..."
Bad "None that I can think of right now..."
Overall "Go with them...they are cheaper than Sprint/Verizon and you get the same coverage."

·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
I'm on the 20gb hotspot plan that uses the Verizon network. It comes with the Novatel 4620LE. I already had a Pantech UML290 modem, and I just simply removed the SIM from the Novatel, and moved it to my UML290 (with a SIM adapter). I've had no problems with the service, and I get exactly the same performance and coverage I was getting with Verizon. I hope that by the time Sprint 4G rolls out in my area that Millenicom has a 50G/unlimited device for them.

My device arrived in about 4 days after ordering, which is insanely quick considering I paid only for standard shipping and I'm on the east coast (they are based on the west coast).

I have not used their tech support yet, so I cannot comment on that aspect.

I plan on doing business with them for a long time, and would recommend them to anyone who needs 3g/4g internet.

Comments:

kirkdj

@charter.com

HEY applerule

Hey I live outside Weaverville soon and will soon be looking for new internet service.........what kind of speeds are you getting? do you know where the towers are located? are you on 3g or 4g? other problems? Any other info on the service or system will be appreciated.....
Mr_Thomas

join:2013-02-25
·Millenicom

check me out

Review by Duramax08 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "20 GB cap for $60 via verizon and no overage fees"
Bad "Somewhat high start up cost"
Overall "Its awesome!"

Cricket was crapping out and very unreliable. I had to look at my options again and decided to try out millenicom. I heard they resell verizon and sprint. Knowing my bad luck with sprint, I wanted verizon. After finding out the 5 and 20 GB cap plan was verizon, I ordered the 20 GB or "advanced" plan and got the u760 modem. For the modem, activation and first month, total was around $205. Ouch, but only one way to find out. 2 days later I had a box in the mail. Opened it up, Plugged it into my CradlePoint MBR95, plugged it into my existing antenna and I was up and running. Holy crap, the speeds!

»www.speedtest.net/result/1692975722.png

been playing l4d2 with little to no lag. Going to try out Halo reach soon, possibly some other games. Will report back with result.

Im so stoked

Update 3/19/2012

Had service for awhile and its been an awesome ride. Been playing l4d2 on pc and halo reach on 360 with little to no lag at all. Bad news, they got rid of the advance plan for new orders which suck because I was going to show my sister the service but not anymore =/. Im able to watch youtube videos with little to no buffering. I have not yet tried netflix knowing it would eat through my cap.

Update 9/17/2012

All is well except for my mbr95. The wireless function seems to be iffy so I disabled it, hooked up my old cisco wireless router and it runs like a champ. I did try netflix when I was on my breaking bad-athon. I just finished up one season which was a cliff hanger and instead of waiting for a coworker to give me the next season, I watched the next episode on netflix. It worked just fine, just gave it a little like to buffer in the beginning but after that it worked great. I think a 45 min sd show was like 200-300 mb which is quite a bit for me. Other then that ive been playing TF2 and L4D2 with no problems.

I am quite pleased with millenicom, I might be setting up my sister next since she tethers with her 2gb iPhone plan :/.

member for 5.7 years, 2734 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Dexter1992 See Profile

• Location: Winona,Winona,MN
Good "Unlimited 3G Mobile Broadband(50GB Soft Cap), No Contract, Sprint Coverage and Sprint Network Speeds"
Bad "You can only pay monthly bill with credit/debit card."
Overall "I have Sprint, drop them quickly and go for Millenicom. You do not want a 5GB cap, you just don't it's horrible."

I have had this service for two months now and it is great. For an extra $8-10 you get 10x the usage for a soft cap with the Unlimited or BYOD plan. The service is unlimited but don't overuse the service as they don't like high usage users. You get the same speed as Sprint, there is no different routing or anything so no need to worry about slower speeds. It's the best bang for your buck.

Comments:

Review by zeddlar See Profile

• Location: Jay,Delaware,OK
Good "No contract, Very fast shipping, Plug and play set up."
Bad "Low caps, but that is Verizons fault, not Millenicom's and to Millenicom's credit, their cap is double what you can get from Ver"
Overall "Would recomend over satellite for anyone that can't get anything else."

I had Hughesnet Satellite for 9 years and even though with 3G, the speeds are a bit slower, I have to say this is a much better service right now. The speeds are close to what I was getting on satellite and with the lower latency, I have to say this is much better. I ordered the early bird special with the Samsung Hotspot and I get 10 GB at 4G speeds and 10 GB at 3G speeds or 20 GB at 3g speeds since 4G isn't availible here. I average speeds of over 1 Mb/s down and 500 Kb/s up consistantly with pings running around 110ms real world and 130 to 140 in World of Warcraft. I loved the fast shipping on this, I used their cheapest shipping offer and still recieved my hotspot on the third business day after that. I have to say that if you have satellite and can get a signal from Sprint or Verizon then go with Millenicom, I don't think you could go wrong with em.

Oh and I might add that I have 4 Verizon phones and my phone gets as good or better reception than any of the others I have and the Hotspot from Millenicom gets a better signal than my phone does.