RapidWave Wireless page on DSLReports

Review by paaronjo See Profile

• Location: Lehi,Utah,UT
Good "Great speeds, realiable, fast responding customer support and no usage limits."
Bad "Lose connection momentarily when really bad weather hits."
Overall "Hands down, undisputably the best ISP available in Utah!"

I have had Rapidwave for since April 2006 with free installation and no contract. These guys don't need to lock you in with a contract because why would you leave when you have the best deal in town!

I have 7-8MB download and 1-2MB upload most of the time. I've used VOIP the whole 3yrs we've had Rapidwave and it works great without affecting speeds. With business ventures we run, we're on the internet 90% of the day and we've had very few problems over 3yrs. On occasion that I have called customer support they are always fast to sort out the issue and I have even had company owners call me back because it's late and no-one else was available.

I really feel that Rapidwave puts me first. Don't pay Comcast's high rates or be restricted by Digis' download limits. My neighbor switched to Comcast and hates their voip, doesn't enjoy their over-inflated rates or modem rental fees and wishes they'd never left the green pastures of Rapidwave!

Comments:

Review by paulycus See Profile

• Location: American Fork,Utah,UT
Good "Impressive, friendly service. Blazing fast connection speed."
Bad "Limited coverage area, website sucks"
Overall "I love these people"

I am in the software industry and work often from home, so I have pretty demanding bandwidth requirements. As I've lived in different parts of Utah valley, I've used high-end Comcast packages, high-end Qwest packages, iProvo via Veracity and via MSTAR, and UtahBroadband.

I'm happier with Rapidwave than I was with any of the others- both in terms of speed and service. Install guy was friendly and accommodating. He said Rapidwave makes sure none of its towers are crowded with too many customers, so that the service doesn't get slower over time.

There was one time in the past year when I lost connection for a few hours, but they knew about the issue (support people were helpful and knowledgeable) and had it fixed promptly. Overall service uptime has been as good or better than the landline services, which frankly surprises me.

I've recommended Rapidwave to a few friends, and their experiences have been the same as mine, which gives me even more confidence in extending that recommendation.

One thing I would like to see is a more dynamic and useful website. Let people enter their addresses to see if they can get coverage, maybe, or give users a way to see if there are known issues affecting their service.

• Location: Saratoga Springs,Utah,UT
Good "Great customer service. They even swapped out my radio because it wasn't working before I evennoticed."
Bad "Nothing more than the normal downtime."
Overall "Great value. The service comes with one public IP address and the speeds are great."

I've been using Rapidwave for over two years now and they have been great. The customer service is fantastic and the speeds are as well. I've never had any problem that wasn't fixed very fast.

(review was emailed from domain byu.edu)

Comments:

Review by saltcity See Profile

• Location: Herriman,Salt Lake,UT
Good "Blazing fast speed better than most cable and dsl offerings, no bandwidth caps!"
Bad "Web site isn't current with residential digital phone service available in some areas"
Overall "Not the cheapest service, but the extra quality far outweighs any extra costs"

At different addresses, I have used Qwest DSL, Comcast Cable, and two different fixed wireless companies, now part of Digis. Moving to a semi rural / new development area in Southern Salt Lake County, Comcast and Qwest haven't invested into the infrastructure to provide internet service to these areas. Utopia is still only available in limited areas and hasn't had the funding to expand to as many areas as previously proposed. As a result, all of my research has found that Digis (»digis.net) and RapidWave (»www.rapidwave.net) were my best options with both offering fixed wireless service. Unfortunately Digis didn't look like a truly viable option with their extreme bandwidth caps (hidden in the fine print). I almost went with them, but asked the sales person if they can lift their bandwidth caps... she talked to her manager who said that they only option is to sign me up for a commercial contract... at a significantly higher price! After checking out the numerous other bad reviews on this site about Digis, I went with RapidWave.

For those not familiar with fixed wireless, it can offer speeds comparable to DSL and Cable but works through a dish antenna installed on your roof similar to DirectTV or Dish Network. Instead of pointing the dish towards a satellite, it is pointed to an antenna mounted on a cell tower or similar location. This requires direct line-of-sight, so any obstructions can block service.

In my case, the technician came out on a Monday to confirm that I could have service. Lucky for me, they had an antenna mounted on a water tank on the nearby foothills with no obstructions to block service. When I moved in on Saturday morning, the RapidWave technician was there on Saturday afternoon to install the roof mounted antenna and the service was up in minutes with 5Mb down and 2Mb up. I have run tests that got over 7Mb down. (This is different from other ISPs who promise a speed that you will rarely actually see ... and then cap your bandwidth so that you only get decent speeds for a short time!)

In the past month since it was installed, I have had great service with no notable downtime. I have also signed up for their residential VOIP service which is not listed on their web site (call their number on their web site if you are interested). The VOIP is $29 and offers Quality Of Service (QOS) to ensure high quality in your calls, which isn't available if you go with a traditional internet phone service like Vonage.

Comments:

Review by Beau6183 See Profile

• Location: Eagle Mountain,Utah,UT
Good "Actually deliver what they promise, have the infrastructure to back it up"
Bad "A little spendy, weird hardware ownership assumption policy"
Overall "So far the best option for my location"

I just switched from Digis (avoid! nightmare galore!) to RapidWave (»www.rapidwave.net), and the difference so far is night and day.

The sales person was VERY well informed and friendly. He explained in detail their infrastructure, which by the way sounds very robust and NOT oversold. I signed up for the residential service ($49.99/mo). 5 down, 1 up.

Install was a little steep at $199, and that doesn't include hardware if you opt to buy it. They use the Motorola Canopy line. If you happen to have you're own equipment, you can use it. However they have this funky policy that if you connect it to their network, they have to take ownership of it (read: they don't offer buy it from you). However, when they do take ownership they do take over full maintenance, troubleshooting and full replacement if needed.

The installer came out less than a day after ordering and took only a couple hours to set the equipment up.

After the installation was done, I immediately came to dslreports and ran the flash speed test on the Palo Alto server. I got the exact speeds they were selling: 5 down, 1 up.

Other than the steep prices and weird equipment ownership policy, I can't say anything negative about this service. Granted, I've only had it for a day so I'll update on reliability after having it for a month or two.

1-MONTH UPDATE

I've been up and running with RapidWave now for about 1 1/2 months and it's still a night and day difference compared to Digis. Speed is blazing! I run a few websites and do offsite backups to my home network on a weekly basis. These backups are around 2 gb in size and I've been downloading them at a consistent 650 kiloBYTES per second (so 650 * 8 = 5200 kiloBITS per second or 5.07 megabits p/s). No bandwidth throttling (except for BitTorrent/multi-threaded p2p traffic). I've been watching a lot of streaming movies on netflix with very little buffer time and full quality video. Digis would cause me to buffer 20-30 minutes and still only get medium quality video.

The connection does seem to hiccup every once in a while for about 20 seconds, though, and I'm not sure why. I have yet to call customer service on it though.

The accounting team generates monthly PDF-formatted account statements and payment receipts that are emailed to you -- makes it really easy to print out and file for tax write offs. They also do monthly referral credits and email you receipts for those too so you know exactly how many referral credits you have.

All in all I haven't been this satisfied with an ISP in a VERY long time. I highly recommend RapidWave. Yes, they're a little more expensive, but in my area you DEFINITELY get what you pay for.