Paragould.net page on DSLReports

Review by Ericthorn See Profile

• Location: Paragould,Greene,AR
Good "It rarely ever goes down"
Bad "Heavy congestion leads to terrible speeds in the evenings"
Overall "Lack of choices in this town, so they get my biz... for now"

·Paragould.net
Please see my other review for Paragould.net - not sure how I ended up with two.

member for 13 years, 3417 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Ericthorn See Profile

• Location: Paragould,Greene,AR
Good "Good down speed for the area"
Bad "Horrible up speed"
Overall "The only other choices are AT&T or satellite"

·Paragould.net
The other review is here is pretty much spot on. I rarely ever see a 2mb d/l speed, although that could be a number of factors.. but 60$/mo for a 2mb/512kb connection is nothing but robbery. I never bother to call tech support.. if resetting the modem doesn't work, I just call a few friends on the same service and usually we're all down if one of us is. It could be worse, but they really need to revise their pricing structure and upgrade the network.

I don't have a landline, just cell.. I've seriously considered breaking down and getting a regular phone line again, but I have no guarantee my DSL speed would be better. It appears AT&T offers naked DSL in the area now, and the website is quoting me 40$ for 3mb and 45$ for a 6mb, although I'm doubtful on the speeds, if I even got 1.5mb-2mb at the 40$ tier it would be worth it. I'll be switching over middle of November but not going to cancel my cable connection until I see the DSL actually working.

UPDATE 9-24-10 --> They recently upped the speeds to 4mg down/1mg up, and raised the price from 59.99/mo to 62.95/mo. The network is still congested starting around late afternoon and continues into the late evening. We consistently get warnings when streaming Netflix, pauses in the viewing, etc. It's a horribly oversold network. The only real competition in the area is AT&T DSL, and with only one CO in town, they have a very limited area where they can offer their 6mg package. I've complained to Paragould.net many times, and the bottom line they give me is that I can always try the competition. I understand how cable works, but selling me what they call their 'Business Class' at 62.95/mo, I expect Business Class service, and that means finding a way to guarantee I'm getting at least 80% or more of what I'm paying for 24hrs a day. The other 'features' they offer are nothing short of pathetic. 5 email address with 5mg mail boxes.. no I'm not kidding. There are a few satellite providers, but the best they offer is 1mg down and I can't deal with latency being a gamer. So, for now, it's this service until AT&T spreads out.

UPDATE 10/24/13 --> The d/l speed has been upgraded to 8mg down with (as yet) no price increase (still only 1mb up). I get a pretty consistent speed 24/7. Since initially getting this service about 9yrs ago, it's dramatically improved. It's still nothing compared to what you can get in other areas, but it does the job.

member for 13 years, 3417 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sculpy See Profile

• Location: Paragould,Greene,AR
Good "none"
Bad "price"
Overall "not knowledgable, intermittant service, expensive"

Where to start...This service that Paragould.net is Cable Internet access but a little about the company.

They are the company that serves the town of Paragould AR with garbage collection, sewer service, water service, electricity, Cable TV, and also serves as the local ISP.

First off, dial-up services are $17.95 per month. 56kbps in all its glory. They also have 3 tiers of Cable Internet services; Internet Lite for $23.95 per month with speeds up to 384kbps, I think 128 up. The next package they call High-Speed for $35.95 per month which is 1Mbps/256kbps and finally Business Class, which is the plan I have boasts whopping lame speeds of 2Mbps/512kbps.

To get these speeds is possible, yes, but rare. I usually expect 85% of advertised to be acceptable but in most cases I get 50%-60% what they advertise when I'm even connected in the first place. The term "up to" when advertising speeds is so useful, especially to these guys.

The tech support for the company is unreal. The best solutions they have are to unplug the modem and wait 5 minutes before plugging it back in. It's the cure all for their service. I have to admit there is one person there that knows what he's doing and fortunately he is the boss over there. That means he doesn't do tech support because hes an administrator.

I have been trying to get DSL service but according to AT&T's customer service I am 11,000 feet away from the location and the best they can offer is thier express package. I have had a hard time getting my line tested to see if that were true since my neighbor one block away claims to have AT&T Elite at 6Mbps/784kbps for $35.95 per month ($25.00 per month cheaper than I am paying for this shoddy service I have now with Paragould.net)

I am completely fustrated and at my wits end with this. I need to move...