Rogers Portable Internet page on DSLReports

Review by J E F F See Profile

• Location: Kitchener,ON
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "Seems to be pretty reliable up to this point."
Bad "None. Although you do not get advertised speeds."
Overall "If you bug them enough, you'll get a good deal."

Back in May Rogers had a deal for the Rocket Stick and Laptop for $0 on a 2 year contract...I had no need for another netbook laying around the house, and asked if they could discount me. So I got a 1 GB deal for $21.25 + taxes and standard fee's. I haven't come real close to 1 GB yet, maybe 600MB tops, but it has been pretty useful. I do believe I am on the 7.2 MB connection, which I get pretty close to most days. No disconnects yet. The unit gets rather warm and is a huge battery drain, just so you know. It does not come with software for Linux, but the newer version of Linux recognize the card (USB) and it will work flawlessly.

January - 2012

As noted above, and under "bad", Rogers claims speeds up to 21MB, I only get 7.2 max. Not really an issue, since my monthly is only 1GB. Also, I find for data, my iPhone 4 works better in area's with poor signal. (with Hotspot enabled) So at the end of this term (May) I will no longer need this product.

Rogers could make a killing off of this device, I do believe data is cheap enough to do over the air, so for people not using a lot of GB's, they could offer this rather than a modem and cable. But what do I know about marketing, I am only the consumer.

January 2013 -- Rogers called me around October asking me to upgrade my device. I told them I had no interest since I only use this device occasionally, but they told me my price wouldn't go up ($6/month). Primary use will be for when I go up to the cottage, so it does fulfill a purpose in the end...

member for 10.7 years, 3874 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by DS256 See Profile

• Location: Beaumaris,ON
Good "Cheaper than Bell ; no contract or credit card required"
Bad "Connection influenced by weather (I think) ; usage not available yet"
Overall "For what I need it for ; working 1 day a week from the cottage ; works great"

*UPDATE* Selected Rogers Portable Hub which seems to work well. My son complains of performance issues but I have none. Note that they will tell you VPN is not supported but it is on the Hub that has phone service.

*UPDATE* Bell and Rogers are shutting down their Portable Internet. I am looking for a seasonal ISP service that Rogers provided but can't get any response that they will continue to offer a seasonal plan.

I have a cottage outside of Windemere in the Muskoka region of Ontario, about 3 hours north of Toronto. I wanted an inexpensive internet solution I could use from May to October and suspend/cancel during the winter months. I had all sorts of trouble getting information from Bell (of which I have satellite at the cottage) so ended up going with Rogers after looking through Forum discussions.

I believe the tower I run off of is visible from the the front of my cottage. I have the modem in the rear of the 2nd floor. Get 1-2 lights there and it works well. If I take it to the front of the cottage I get 3-4 lights.

Just like at home, beware if you connect directly to the modem and make sure you have good firewall software installed. I actually picked up a TrendNet Wi-Fi router for $30 from Tiger Direct. This means my portable internet now is Wi-Fi wireless

I've been using it for about 3 weekends now with no problems except I can see my usage on-line. I have a 10GB cap and would like to see my consumption rate. Called Rogers and they flagged my account that no overage charges will apply this month.

Comments:

Review by CJKComputers See Profile

• Location: Madoc,ON
Good "Quick Setup, decent speed, user friendly"
Bad "Some units are unreliable, Bad for lots of data usage"
Overall "Decent upgrade from phone line for a fair price"

Well I run a very popular computer company in a rural area north of Belleville Ontario and I deal with allot of costumers that are looking for high speed solutions as opposed to phone line that they currently have and unfortunately because my business is in the same area I suffer from the same problem.

Ever since I got here in 2008 the only solution was Xplornets 900mhz "High Speed internet" but I have been unhappy with them ever since I signed up because I have had other wireless solutions in other areas like KOS in Napanee and had very good results but Xplornet is pretty much the opposite so anyway in late 2010 and early 2011 I decided to try out the Rogers Rocket Hubs and do some in depth testing for not only a potential replacement for myself but also for a potential phone line replacement for my costumers.

So I started out by testing there three different hubs and had different success with each of them.

The first one I tried was the Netcomm 3g10wr which was basically a 2 port wireless router with 3g and phone capability built right in so when I got it back to the shop I plugged it in and it flashed for about a minute and it was already online so obviously I was impressed because of the ease of installation and I hooked up a laptop to it wireless using the card with the password on it and I was on the internet. So after that I ran multiple speed tests and realized that on certain times of day I would get up to around 2.5Mbps and other times it would go down to just over 1Mbps so it was a great upgrade from phone line but was not going to cut it for my to replace my xplornet. Now I have to add that I only got a medium signal with this hub so I was told that with a better signal I would be able to get faster speeds so I later tried a high gain outdoor antenna setup with all the hubs and that will be discussed later.

Then I tried the Erricsson W35 Hub and it was just as easy to install and had pretty much the same features of the Netcomm but it had 4 ports instead of only 2 ports and had no external antennas but had a place to attached one. So with this hub I was able to get quiet a bit faster speed with a medium connection I got around 2.5Mbps to 4.0Mbps at all times witch is good but there is a major flaw with this hub. Over the course of the day if I was downloading lots of data (over 1GB per day) this unit will inevitably overheat and die. I tried this with 3 different Erricssons and had the same result and this did not happen with either of the Netcomms so if you are wanting to use lots of data than this unit may not be for you but other than that it seems pretty stable.

Then we tried the last one. The new Netcomm 3g10wr2 Hub.

This hub was pretty much an exact copy of the older Netcomm except that it was in a prettier shell and it also only had one antenna instead of three and also had the same results of the older Netcomm. This hub also had a medium connection without help and showed 1Mbps to 2.5Mbps so there is nothing else to say about this one.

EXTERNAL HIGH GAIN ANTENNAS.

Well during the whole course of testing we also ordered a high gain directional dual band Wilson antenna and 30ft of LMR-195 cable we are also fortunate enough to have line of site to the Rogers 3G tower that is only a few kms away so we where able to get a full signal on all of the hubs when they where connected to this antenna setup now with the antenna

The Erricsson W35 with a full signal got around 4.5Mbps to 5Mbps but it still has the overheating problem so it is still not recommended.

Both of the Netcomm Hubs ended up with a full signal and there speed ended up being 3.5mbps to 4.5mbps so they are a little slower but they are also more reliable so these would be the ones that I would recommend.

PING.

As for the ping on these it was never good so I would have to say that this would not be recommended for online gaming or anything like that but are great for standard web surfing and downloading. The ping that I got on average without a special antenna was around 80ms to 100ms and with the Wilson antenna was between 45ms to 75ms.

OVERALL.

Well overall as long as you stick with the Erricsson model hubs this is a great upgrade from phone line internet and you will get some decent speeds and they are incredibly easy to setup. But if you require allot of speed and need to have multiple computers connected at all times I would recommend trying to find a company in your area that offers a wireless internet such as WiMax, LTE, Radio Etc and hopefully you can find one that is not Xplornet but that unfortunately may be your only option. At the end of the day if you live in a rural area like I do then you should be happy with the services that are available because it wasnt all that long ago that you would be stuck living with phone line and you would be forced to move in order to get decent internet. I hope you liked my review.

Comments:

Review by raptureboi8 See Profile

• Location: New Lowell,ON
Good "Rogers doesn't monitor its bandwidth caps, so this is unlimited usage"
Bad "When connection is working, the service varies between slower then dial up, and the kind of cable service I had with Rogers@Home"
Overall "If your last resort is portable internet, choose Rogers WiMax over Bells, and only use the outdoor modem."

When we moved from Barrie to the village of New Lowell, I was VERY scared. I knew a small place like this wouldn't have options for High Speed, which is essential to everything my family does from day to day.

I called Rogers even before making an offer on our house to find out what they offered in the way of wireless. I was told they offered amazing services with cellular sticks, and that was it. I finally got fed up and asked about Portable Internet. They reluctantly told me that was an option as well. (I guess they don't promote it, because it hasn't been upgraded since Inukshuk dissolved years ago).

I chose the service as it was my only option for high speed here, and Bell monitored and enforced their bandwidth caps. Rogers did and still does not.

I chose the outdoor modem because I knew that even with the tower 3km's away, there was a better chance of getting a stronger signal using the outdoor device.

Received the device via Purolator. This is what it looks like:

»www.footprintwireless.co.uk/prod···S-EN.jpg

I secured it to the wall on the back of my house as high as I could on the second story. It worked with about 30% signal strength to get me through the winter that we moved in. Come spring, I decided that a higher location was necessary to clear the trees.

I should point out that the manufacturer and Rogers grade this antenna as NON line of sight, meaning that there can be "things in the way" and the antenna will still work.

THIS IS A LIE. Even with 1 tree 50 feet away from it, the signal is lost totally. I sat at the peak of my roof, and put my head behind the modem on the satellite pole it was mounted to and aimed unobstructed at the blinking light of the tower on base borden.

I got 100% signal strength. It has wavered quite a bit with weather and so on, but signal strength has been fairly consistent. You may have to try several locations over the years before you get it right. Seasons make a difference as well. It seems that summer works better then winter (Which doesnt make much sense considering the lack of leaves in winter).

Remember that this connection is shared, just like with cable. If your neighbour is online and downloading a movie, you will likely get speeds closer to dial up. The system is no longer upgraded so don't expect things to get better. I have 26 other subscribers attached to the Base Station on my tower.

The service can have TERRIBLE latency. I have had latency issues frequently where service is unusable for days at a time. We are talking about latency over 4000ms and 80% packet loss.

On tech support:

Count on being your own tech support. Calls to Rogers about the issues I've had have been useless. I have wasted countless hours (about 100 hrs) talking to various people from CSR Level 1 to Office Of President. Most people dont even know what Rogers Portable is. I have had to send them links to the hidden page for the service on the website.

I still don't have a resolution for my latency issues. I have pages and pages of notes taken during calls, tests done to the modem etc.

Overall, if you must choose between Portable internet and the data stick, go with portable. Even if you cant get a signal, you have 30 days to return it all for a full refund. The overage on data sticks will kill you every month, especially with people who do more then email and banking.

• Location: V9H1R
Good "h usage when in Canada."
Bad "We puty billed $1200.00 for no ligitimate reas the stick away after finding it did not work in Yuma Arizona and were subsequentl"

While travelling in the USA we tried the Rogers stick in Yuma Az and it did not work. Subsequently we were billed $1200.00 for service we did not receive or use. Rogers has told us they have been billed by AT&T and therefore we are responsible. This fraud is totally unacceptable and we hope that Rogers and AT&T are not billing other unsuspecting clients for such outrageous and unwarranted charges.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Radar E 331 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "fast during the day, better than dial up"
Bad "Slower than molases during peak hours, latency can REALLY spike, unreliable customer service, random throttling, packet loss"
Overall "Good if your only other option is dial up... but if you have access to ACTUAL high speed, avoid like the plague"

Utopia, Canada

Intro

Got this service 2-3 years ago. Had to dig a 300 foot trench 6 inches deep up our hill in order to get the service. Worked fine for about a year and then we had an issue with the modem being defective. Got a new one and our service did well for another 6 months... Then in January 2009, the service started to degrade until it become virtually unusable (speeds below 300kb/s, +1000 ms of latency, 50% percent packet loss). This went on for 8 months.

Tech support and present quality of service

Calls to tech support yielded no results; they often told me "everything is fine on our end", even though my tracerts showed that there was something wrong on their end (the latency spiked when i got to their servers). One techie even had the nerve to tell me that "700ms of latency is perfectly normal sir". Another told me that they couldn't do anything for me because i was "too far away" (i'm 7km away from the tower), and that "someone within 4-5km of the tower will have to raise an issue before we can look at it".

I figured that the recent Simcoe County Rural Broadband initiative would have brought real internet out to our area, but it turns out our government just gave money to Bell to add more wireless towers out here (and big surprise, i'm not in range!). The service now is stable during the day (for the most part), but once everyone in the Utopia area gets home, the service degrades.

Gaming

It is possible to play online games (through LIVE and PSN). You won't get Broadband quality gaming, but you should at least get a decent connection (yellow to red zone on MW2). Latency is usually anywhere from 40ms to 200ms (which is playable). I highly recommend testing your connection before playing, to determine if it is adequate for gaming. Be warned that Rogers will cap you at 80kbps during online gaming, so don't expect your 1.5 to 2mb download speed to be utilized fully. Also, you will not be able to host on this service; the connection can support it to a degree, but Rogers' universal policy regarding hosting will ensure that everyone playing with you will be unable to connect.

Hidden practices

I am of the opinion that Rogers is randomly throttling people in our area; i was able to play Modern Warfare 2 online during peak hours two days ago, but had crappy service all day today. It got to the point where we were going at worse than dial-up speeds during the evening.

Conclusion

If you have other options, AVOID THIS SERVICE. If your only other option is a phone cord, consider getting this. But be forewarned!

Comments:

Review by jblackrupert See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "none"
Bad "All"
Overall "Crap"

High pings

overpriced

Rogers NEVER admits to problems or outtages.

BitTorrent traffic is now tampered with.
Rogers has set up some sort of system that if BitTorrent traffic is detected
you will lose your IP and be forced to power cycle your modem to get it back.

Rogers isn't throttling. they're virtually blocking Torrent use altogether!
naturally Rogers staff deny they are doing this.

There is also a problem with sites appearing offline when in fact they are not
and I need to use a proxy to view them

If you can get DSL or Cable AVOID THIS SERVICE

Update: I Spoke to several people at Rogers regarding the BitTorrent traffic triggering IP loss issue.

Got the usual "Rogers doesn't support BitTorrent" but one of the people I spoke to
told me he is getting the same behaviour on Rogers Cable. He described the exact same behaviour. internittent connection loss or total loss of IP regardless of
how fast the Torrent was going.

Comments:

Review by Jaguar4u See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Fantastic downloads speed is always between 2.5 and 3.2 Mbps download speed"
Bad "Upload speed could be better."
Overall "Best service available for the price on wireless. Large network coverage area for High Speed Wireless"

I am using Fido on the Rogers wireless network. My friend switched to Bell and regretted it every day. Bell is overcharging for an unstable new network.

I was lucky and have 6 Gb / month data plan for only $30. per month with Fido. (Microcell Telecommunications Inc)

I am testing Acanac unlimited for my home broadband and will do a review soon.

My opinion as a prior Bell customer for several years is Bell keeps increasing prices and has terrible customer service.

So far Fido/Rogers wins for wireless high speed.
So far Acanac wins for DSL service on price and speed combined.

Comments:

Review by JimBee See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Great for in car internet! Flexible rates"
Bad "Low caps...(~1 gig/month)"
Overall "Worth it if you travel and need to check email/facebook/other sites on the go and your smart phone just doesn't cut it."

I'm currently traveling on Highway 15 between Ottawa and Kingston writing this review. My actual ISP is Fido, but they have the same sort of plans as Rogers does, except I'm not paying for the ZTE HSPA Modem.

So far so good on the road! I can post on Facebook and everything.

I have a flex plan that scales depending on my usage. I am locked into one year of service with a min price of $35/month.

The modem is great and easy to use and as you can tell, very effective. Now if only I could stop being so car sick......

-RD

Comments:

Review by Anzio See Profile

• Location: Innisfil,ON
Good "Take it anywhere you go with a large 30GB Limit; Works with WiFi Routers"
Bad "Connection slows down to about 8% connection service; No 'real' support"
Overall "Terrible service, Heard Bell WiMAX is better (Though they use the same towers, they don't use the same servers)"

·Start Communicat..
EDIT: I have switched to Bell DSL which gives me so many hours of dial up access for travelling. This beats Rogers Portable. I can get Dial up in almost every hotel I go to, no matter where I am. It's cheaper, and in most cases, yeah, it's just as fast.

I want to switch to Bell WiMAX, but they have me on a 36 month contract.
I chose a 1.5Mbps package = True speed on a good day: 1.5Mbps. NOT ONE DAY did my speed NOT drop to about 500kbps.

Later upgraded to a 2Mbps package (Automatically for the same price), Same problem, some days drops down to 500kbps.
WoW Get's about 200ms latency, then sometimes goes up to 1.2k latency or so.

Don't buy, Try Bell WiMAX, It can't possibly be any worse then this.

As of October 5th 2009, I have switched to Bell and have never been happier. However, I still have the Rogers services for the sake of my email addresses