Rogers Portable Internet page on DSLReports

Review by raptureboi8 See Profile

• Location: New Lowell,ON
Good "Rogers doesn't monitor its bandwidth caps, so this is unlimited usage"
Bad "When connection is working, the service varies between slower then dial up, and the kind of cable service I had with Rogers@Home"
Overall "If your last resort is portable internet, choose Rogers WiMax over Bells, and only use the outdoor modem."

When we moved from Barrie to the village of New Lowell, I was VERY scared. I knew a small place like this wouldn't have options for High Speed, which is essential to everything my family does from day to day.

I called Rogers even before making an offer on our house to find out what they offered in the way of wireless. I was told they offered amazing services with cellular sticks, and that was it. I finally got fed up and asked about Portable Internet. They reluctantly told me that was an option as well. (I guess they don't promote it, because it hasn't been upgraded since Inukshuk dissolved years ago).

I chose the service as it was my only option for high speed here, and Bell monitored and enforced their bandwidth caps. Rogers did and still does not.

I chose the outdoor modem because I knew that even with the tower 3km's away, there was a better chance of getting a stronger signal using the outdoor device.

Received the device via Purolator. This is what it looks like:

»www.footprintwireless.co.uk/prod···S-EN.jpg

I secured it to the wall on the back of my house as high as I could on the second story. It worked with about 30% signal strength to get me through the winter that we moved in. Come spring, I decided that a higher location was necessary to clear the trees.

I should point out that the manufacturer and Rogers grade this antenna as NON line of sight, meaning that there can be "things in the way" and the antenna will still work.

THIS IS A LIE. Even with 1 tree 50 feet away from it, the signal is lost totally. I sat at the peak of my roof, and put my head behind the modem on the satellite pole it was mounted to and aimed unobstructed at the blinking light of the tower on base borden.

I got 100% signal strength. It has wavered quite a bit with weather and so on, but signal strength has been fairly consistent. You may have to try several locations over the years before you get it right. Seasons make a difference as well. It seems that summer works better then winter (Which doesnt make much sense considering the lack of leaves in winter).

Remember that this connection is shared, just like with cable. If your neighbour is online and downloading a movie, you will likely get speeds closer to dial up. The system is no longer upgraded so don't expect things to get better. I have 26 other subscribers attached to the Base Station on my tower.

The service can have TERRIBLE latency. I have had latency issues frequently where service is unusable for days at a time. We are talking about latency over 4000ms and 80% packet loss.

On tech support:

Count on being your own tech support. Calls to Rogers about the issues I've had have been useless. I have wasted countless hours (about 100 hrs) talking to various people from CSR Level 1 to Office Of President. Most people dont even know what Rogers Portable is. I have had to send them links to the hidden page for the service on the website.

I still don't have a resolution for my latency issues. I have pages and pages of notes taken during calls, tests done to the modem etc.

Overall, if you must choose between Portable internet and the data stick, go with portable. Even if you cant get a signal, you have 30 days to return it all for a full refund. The overage on data sticks will kill you every month, especially with people who do more then email and banking.

• Location: V9H1R
Good "h usage when in Canada."
Bad "We puty billed $1200.00 for no ligitimate reas the stick away after finding it did not work in Yuma Arizona and were subsequentl"

While travelling in the USA we tried the Rogers stick in Yuma Az and it did not work. Subsequently we were billed $1200.00 for service we did not receive or use. Rogers has told us they have been billed by AT&T and therefore we are responsible. This fraud is totally unacceptable and we hope that Rogers and AT&T are not billing other unsuspecting clients for such outrageous and unwarranted charges.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by Radar E 331 See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "fast during the day, better than dial up"
Bad "Slower than molases during peak hours, latency can REALLY spike, unreliable customer service, random throttling, packet loss"
Overall "Good if your only other option is dial up... but if you have access to ACTUAL high speed, avoid like the plague"

Utopia, Canada

Intro

Got this service 2-3 years ago. Had to dig a 300 foot trench 6 inches deep up our hill in order to get the service. Worked fine for about a year and then we had an issue with the modem being defective. Got a new one and our service did well for another 6 months... Then in January 2009, the service started to degrade until it become virtually unusable (speeds below 300kb/s, +1000 ms of latency, 50% percent packet loss). This went on for 8 months.

Tech support and present quality of service

Calls to tech support yielded no results; they often told me "everything is fine on our end", even though my tracerts showed that there was something wrong on their end (the latency spiked when i got to their servers). One techie even had the nerve to tell me that "700ms of latency is perfectly normal sir". Another told me that they couldn't do anything for me because i was "too far away" (i'm 7km away from the tower), and that "someone within 4-5km of the tower will have to raise an issue before we can look at it".

I figured that the recent Simcoe County Rural Broadband initiative would have brought real internet out to our area, but it turns out our government just gave money to Bell to add more wireless towers out here (and big surprise, i'm not in range!). The service now is stable during the day (for the most part), but once everyone in the Utopia area gets home, the service degrades.

Gaming

It is possible to play online games (through LIVE and PSN). You won't get Broadband quality gaming, but you should at least get a decent connection (yellow to red zone on MW2). Latency is usually anywhere from 40ms to 200ms (which is playable). I highly recommend testing your connection before playing, to determine if it is adequate for gaming. Be warned that Rogers will cap you at 80kbps during online gaming, so don't expect your 1.5 to 2mb download speed to be utilized fully. Also, you will not be able to host on this service; the connection can support it to a degree, but Rogers' universal policy regarding hosting will ensure that everyone playing with you will be unable to connect.

Hidden practices

I am of the opinion that Rogers is randomly throttling people in our area; i was able to play Modern Warfare 2 online during peak hours two days ago, but had crappy service all day today. It got to the point where we were going at worse than dial-up speeds during the evening.

Conclusion

If you have other options, AVOID THIS SERVICE. If your only other option is a phone cord, consider getting this. But be forewarned!

Comments:

Review by jblackrupert See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "none"
Bad "All"
Overall "Crap"

High pings

overpriced

Rogers NEVER admits to problems or outtages.

BitTorrent traffic is now tampered with.
Rogers has set up some sort of system that if BitTorrent traffic is detected
you will lose your IP and be forced to power cycle your modem to get it back.

Rogers isn't throttling. they're virtually blocking Torrent use altogether!
naturally Rogers staff deny they are doing this.

There is also a problem with sites appearing offline when in fact they are not
and I need to use a proxy to view them

If you can get DSL or Cable AVOID THIS SERVICE

Update: I Spoke to several people at Rogers regarding the BitTorrent traffic triggering IP loss issue.

Got the usual "Rogers doesn't support BitTorrent" but one of the people I spoke to
told me he is getting the same behaviour on Rogers Cable. He described the exact same behaviour. internittent connection loss or total loss of IP regardless of
how fast the Torrent was going.

Comments:

Review by Anzio See Profile

• Location: Innisfil,ON
Good "Take it anywhere you go with a large 30GB Limit; Works with WiFi Routers"
Bad "Connection slows down to about 8% connection service; No 'real' support"
Overall "Terrible service, Heard Bell WiMAX is better (Though they use the same towers, they don't use the same servers)"

·Start Communicat..
EDIT: I have switched to Bell DSL which gives me so many hours of dial up access for travelling. This beats Rogers Portable. I can get Dial up in almost every hotel I go to, no matter where I am. It's cheaper, and in most cases, yeah, it's just as fast.

I want to switch to Bell WiMAX, but they have me on a 36 month contract.
I chose a 1.5Mbps package = True speed on a good day: 1.5Mbps. NOT ONE DAY did my speed NOT drop to about 500kbps.

Later upgraded to a 2Mbps package (Automatically for the same price), Same problem, some days drops down to 500kbps.
WoW Get's about 200ms latency, then sometimes goes up to 1.2k latency or so.

Don't buy, Try Bell WiMAX, It can't possibly be any worse then this.

As of October 5th 2009, I have switched to Bell and have never been happier. However, I still have the Rogers services for the sake of my email addresses

Comments:

Review by hollap0 See Profile

• Location: Val Caron,ON
Good "Brings entry broadband speeds to rural areas"
Bad "Atrocious ping spikes"
Overall "Everything about this experience has been sub-par."

We first signed up with Rogers portable internet 4 years ago. A salesman knocked on our door out of the blue and introduced this service to us. I was impressed with what it could do, 'specially after being stuck on dialup in our area. If I were to guess, his modem was probably completely unlocked and able to achieve speeds that ours cannot. Regardless, first 6-8 months was a dream. Pings were always under 70ms when communicating to anything in Canada and the upper U.S.A. Now since I can remember we get constant ping spikes and perhaps 4days of smooth access to the internet a month. Gaming... forget it. Youtube... grab the bag of chips it's gonna be a while. Email even takes a minute to send without anything attached to it. Overall I'm disgusted with the performance. In the early stages the service was probably not oversold unlike it is now. Why can't I get the 16Mbit feed that's 1mile down the street? The few times I talked to tech support the gentleman was unhelpful and sounded like he was reading pre written responses while answering me. "Everything is good on our end sir" Of course it is, you're paid to say that. Please explain my 2000ms ping please. Still looking for a solution to that problem.

Now a couple of final points:

- I would go back to dialup but the fact I'm studying internet/server communication at school I need whatever speed I can get out of this home connection.

- P2P is not throttled with this service

- With 4 computers in the house dialup is no longer sufficient, neither is this but...

- I have the 1.5Mbit/256Kbit connection

Comments:

Review by outreach417 See Profile

• Location: Toronto,ON
Good "Installed and set-up very quickly, easy to follow instructions"
Bad "The connection reliability is increasingly worse. There must be congestion and throttling"
Overall "Should work much better than it does for the price"

I tried DSL from Bell and they were unable to provide clean service, problems with the line filters that need to be plugged into every jack (if you can find them all). Had cable, but I relocate seasonally for my job, so thought portable would be easier, just pick it up and go - and that is the easiest part, I've used it several locations in the GTA from downtown to the burbs. When it works the connection is the 1.5mbps as advertised, but this has deteriorated over the last several months regardless of location - on average it is half to one third that. (I've used it for almost 3 years). Daily, the wireless modem must be reset several times to re-establish the connection. Opted out of Rogers DNS so not much tech support, so the DSLReports tweaking assistance and forums have been indispensable. For example - the default Windows MTU of 1500 is too large, see a lot of packet fragmentation - even the 1400 "default" suggested by Rogers is too big, so tested and tweaked it back down - when I hit the right MTU size, speed jumped considerably. There is still a lot of latency variation - when it's good it's sub-100 ms, but ranges as high as 1500 ms before dropping entirely. Using DrTCP to tweak RWIN seems to have helped this slightly. If I was gonna stay in one place for more than a couple months, I'd switch back to cable or DSL.

Comments:

Review by Adam20 See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "good price/no contract"
Bad "inability to provide useful support"
Overall "not sure"

********UPDATE MARCH 23/08

After all was said and done I still was not able to get the connection functioning properly, even though I was blanketed with coverage, and many calls and tickets to support did not fix anything.

I must say the attempts that I had from technical support were very polite, curteous and very professional, which was very surprising to me.

Billing credited me all amounts that were charged during bills received from signing up for service, some 250$, it only took a handful of charges, although each agent told me they would credit charges, there was a glitch in the system, even the Supervisor told me theres strict notes to credit the charges for my experience.

No harm done, gave me something to play with after work.

I updated the rating to reflect what I feel to be correct.

___________________________________________________________________________
So I got the package today with my rogers wireless modem, after only 2 days i was surprised and happy, I got real good deal with it too. I was excited to try out the new technology since I sell it on a regular basis. Get it, plug it in... nothing, call them get transferred 7 times and then the last guy says, we are going to open a ticket. You should get a call within 24 hours.

24 hours wtf, this is supposed to be plug and play. No troubleshooting done either other then unplugging the power and plugging back in. Also I had 4 bars of service, not just one at one point.

So far. Service Sucks, Support Sucks. Product Sucks.. I will update if/when I get online with it.

Comments:

Review by Deep Dish See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Quick and easy to install. No Rogers technicians coming to your house. Network owned by Bell and Rogers partnership."
Bad "Very expensive for only 1.5mbps service"
Overall "Very easy and convenient, just too expensive for the speeds they offer"

I purchased the 1.5mbps service from Rogers (fastest as of March 24 2008), as well as I paid for the wireless modem. I paid $100 for the modem (one time), other wise I would be paying approximately $10 monthly for modem rental.

From what I experienced, the Internet runs best with a " 5 light " signal strength as it gives you the full 1.5mbps (burst up to 2.5mbps from my experience). When I placed the modem in my basement, the best I could get was " 2 light " signal strength, which was comparable to 33.6kbps modem connection, so it's best to place the modem on the top most level and near a window.

I did have some issues having the modem turned on for a long period of time (i.e.: 1.5 - 4 days) where the connectivity would just become slow, which the quickest way to fix is just power cycling the modem. Since I like to have my modem on 24/7/365, I simply use a timer (the ones used for outdoor Christmas lights) to power cycle the modem for me at night.

The disappointing aspect of this is that the service has been out for about 2 years now, and the speeds remain the same. For about $2 cheaper, I could potentially have a 7mbps cable link to my house (in my case, I had issues with Rogers technicians in the past to which I resulted in going with this service instead).

However, the network to which the Portable Internet runs off is owned 50/50 by Bell and Rogers. It seems as if they have money to invest this technology to further improve the speeds and service, but I could be wrong. The partnership network is call Inukshuk, and the website is: »www.inukshuk.ca/