Future Nine Corporation page on DSLReports

Review by catrachos See Profile

• Location: Rockville,Montgomery,MD
Good "Good solid economical service"
Bad "Nothing bad"
Overall "8 years and counting"

I have had a Future-Nine service for 8 years and virtually no problems. I ported in my previous number, no problem. I quit an extra account that I was no longer using. No problem. Very pleasant to work with a company that just does what I ask instead of telling me what they think I need or should do. When I closed my brother-in-law's account, f9 just closed it without me having to spend 10 minutes turning down sweetener offers & telling someone that yes I really wanted to close an account. Try that with some of the big players in the business.

As far as the service goes, I am using the pay-as-you-go service and had no problems. QOS consistent and good. Almost all, possible all problems I have had were traceable to hardware or the ISP. Unlike the the traditional phone companies and some of the bigger players in the VOIP space: no contracts, no hidden fees, no unexpected charges, no creeping rates, and no "special services" implemented merely to increase revenue. The whole package comes with the advertised rate. Future-nine has proven reliable and economical, and friends and family who signed on have also been satisfied. What more can I say.

The web site and service aren't as glitzy as some, but I like it that way. (The bottom of the review says, "Fair warning: reviewer joined this week lodged a few minutes ago." This account joined a few minutes ago, but this reviewer had an account years ago, according to my password safe. I was unable to recover my old account using my previous user name & password. I reviewed f9 positively then, and I am no less happy with the service now.)

Comments:
PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland

Nice review....

You may want to edit your review to include the various numeric scores.

By doing so you would also help FutureNine to maintain its listing in the "GBU" rankings list.
PX Eliezer

join:2013-03-10
Outland

Six years, not eight.

said by catrachos:

I have had a Future-Nine service for 8 years....

AFAIK they opened their public beta in early 2008, so that was six years ago....

Review by gbh2o See Profile

• Location: Greenville,Pitt,NC
Good "STILL Reliable, redundant, high quality service VALUE!"
Bad "STILL doesn't let me set outgoing CID on-the-fly! ;-)"
Overall "STILL more reliable than many Big-Name residential VoIP providers"

·VOIPO
20140215 - UPDATE - FutureNine remaines one of my most reliable providers. CheapVoipInc is also reliable and works well for me to most of the U.S.A., east of the Rockies.

20130327 - UPDATE - Future Nine is still providing _reliable_ services at reasonable (great VALUE) prices. And CheapVoipInc is a home-run for those of us that run our own PBX systems.

20121117 UPDATE - A real pleasure to use. And with the new spin-off CheapVoipInc, my above 'Bad' comment doesn't even apply! Wow, what _VALUE_! [And still one of my most _reliable_ VoSPs]

20120522 UPDATE - Nothing new to report except continued reliability for peanuts in cost.

20111209 UPDATE - Multiple accounts just chugging along, daily providing me (and mine) solid service and value.

20110604 - STILL one of my MOST RELIABLE providers of high voice quality service. A great value VoSP!

20110131 - The service, reliability and value is still great! I think one very nice. and important feature, is the ability to set multiple prioritized destinations (SIP and PSTN) for each DID (inbound phone number). It provides a solid fail-over progression no matter what mistakes I make on my systems!

20101112 - Multiple accounts working just fine. Still impressing my very persnickety Mother.

20100221 - I believe that Future-Nine is THE best value, full-service, residential VoSP available to the home user today. I caveat that with the dreadful assumption that the user has done proper due diligence, and has basic understanding of what to expect with VoIP services.. I base that opinion on the reliability of the network, and the overall cost structure offered. F9 passes the test with flying colors for my 90 year old Mother who says the call quality is great! And, that is not the case with all of my other providers, so she has a dedicated F9 account now.

20091101 - It is hard to imagine that this 'small' company is actually one of my most reliable VoSPs, but it is! Nitzan Kon continues his methodical build out of his service, carefully implementing well-planned features. Everything seems oriented to enhancing reliability first, while continuing to improve services available. There is absolutely nothing 'cheap' about Future-Nine, but there sure is some of the best value for the money with this company!

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

How do I describe the services I receive from Future-Nine (I'll use F9 for short)? GREAT! I use F9 services a little differently than the way most subscribers do. I am an asterisk user and therefore tend to require somewhat different features from the typical user looking for plug-it-in-and-forget-it residential services. I am also a left-over beta tester, who was impressed with the quality and commitment to service, that I stayed on (perhaps somewhat as a thorn in Nitzan's hide ?!). Their stated intent is to serve the single family, residential market, and their products are tailored to that end.

F9 is also a great source of good quality DIDs for most parts of the country ( I don't have any experience with F9 international numbers). Most U.S.A. DIDs come with at least 3000 inbound minutes included which can make them a bargain for heavier users. In country outbound service at only $.01/minute also makes them a bargain, as long as you do not need to set your own CID by the call. Unfortunately, F9 does not meet _my_ requirements there, so I basically can only use F9 outbound for my own home extensions! For the _vast majority_ of people, this should not be a problem!

I disagree with F9 advertising as being a "Cheap VoIP Provider", although much of that has to do with differing connotations of the word 'cheap' around the world. Nitzan Kon has proven to be anything but cheap in his careful build-out of his system to provide _reliable_, _quality_ services economically! He has carefully built a geographically distributed network of servers to provide both excellent response times as well as redundancy of hardware and isolation from disruption at a single physical location. He continually is developing upgraded features to further enhance the _value_ of his services for his customers.

member for 13.3 years, 4667 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by EarloftheWes See Profile

• Location: Sherwood,Washington,OR
Good "Call Quality. Customer Service."
Bad "Generic Website and Interface."
Overall "Would do it again."

Update:2014 01 30

Still using Future Nine. Been using Future Nine since October of 2008.

Update:2011 10 20

I just renewed my Future Nine subscription for my fifth year.

I believe that I haven't had any issues with the system for the past year.

I have a voip.ms account that I rarely use. I notice that with my voip.ms account, there seems to be some voice latency. None that I can detect with Future Nine.

If you're looking for a VOIP service, this is the one!

Update: 2011 10 16

I just renewed by Future Nine subscription for my fourth year. It's hard to believe that I've been using it for 3 years already.

I've had a few issues over the past few years like not being able to call some numbers or callers not being able to call me.

Technical support has been very, very good. They are very responsive when I have issues.

I had to purchase a new PAP2T-NA last month because mine died. I should probably buy a spare at some point.

Cheers.

Update:

I've been using Future Nine for about 1.5 years. The service has been very good. I had a few hiccups about 6 weeks ago but those issues seem to be fixed.

Still a valued customer.

From my initial post:

For years I've been using Comcast's phone service without much issue. I wanted to save money on my phone bill so I ordered a MagicJack. I acquired an old computer from my Brother-in-Law and dedicated it to MagicJack. The call quality was ok. But it didn't work all the time. Worst of all, it didn't have inbound Caller ID with name - a feature that to my wife was a deal killer. So MagicJack goes back.

A few weeks went by and I was at my friends' house and we were discussing technology and he said that he used Vonage and was happy with it and very happy with the price savings. I had tried Vonage in the past and it was ok. I liked Comcast's call quality better so I sent Vonage back as well. I still wanted to save money so I read the reviews of VoIP providers on BBR and Future-Nine had good reviews. I read many of the posts by Future-Nine employees to find out what type of service they provide. I was happy with what I saw so I took the plunge.

On September 22, 2008, I ordered a Linksys PAP2 from Future-Nine's website. On the 26th of September it arrived. I plugged it in and it started working. I made a few outbound calls and the call quality was acceptable. In my opinion it's not as good as Comcast's but acceptable for the amount of money I'll be saving. I wonder if Router and ATA affect call quality. It was as good or better than my friends Vonage phone so I decided to keep it.

I requested my existing Comcast number be ported to Future-Nine on the 27th of September. Future-Nine made the request to them on the same day and new we're waiting for Comcast to release it.

For now, we're only making outbound calls until the port is complete.

My wife is happy with the call quality of outbound calls and I'm very happy with the money I'll be saving. I'll be paying for my next month via a yearly contract which will reduce my monthly amount even more.

The biggest headache has been getting the ATA to function correctly. I've had some delay issues. I've had to reset and play with the settings to get it working in an acceptable manner. See my other posts if you're really interested.

I would have ordered a PAP2T from buy.com. It's the newest version available whereas the one from Future-Nine was the previous version. That's probably the only change I would make. (I like newer versions.) When I replace the PAP2 that I have, I'll probably spend between $100-200 and get a really nice one because I think it will provide me better sound quality - yes, it would be an experiment and it might not make a difference at all.

Today, Future-Nine's website is very generic. The signup process is not automatic (meaning, you can't just select what you want and the system sets everything up) and the purchasing of minutes and the site telling you what plan you are on are not what one would be used to. But, put your money into their system, tell the owner what you want and he'll get it ready and configured the way you want - and in a quick amount of time.

Other users have talked about the scalability issue of the service being so dependent upon manual processing of requests. The owner knows of these concerns and is working to improve the user experience.

If you are a technical person and don't need things tied up with a pretty bow, plow ahead. If you aren't that technical and like to pay for extras like a pretty website you may want to sign up for another provider. But, you'll pay more and at the end of the day, the service will be just as good if not better from Future-Nine. And besides, once you get it up and running, how often are you really going to want to go to their website anyway?

I'm looking forward to e911 availability. I'll post updates as time goes along.

17 October 2008

Porting of my Comcast number to Future-Nine took place on Thursday. The phone was down for about 6 hours during the process.

Interestingly, other Comcast users who dial my phone number actually ring the Comcast line. It looks like Comcast has to tell it's system that my former Comcast number is really a former number.

I'm still amazed at the great customer service that this company offers. They get an A+ in my book.

Comments:

Review by cbrain See Profile

• Location: Silver Spring,Montgomery,MD
Good "Quality, reliability, support, easy setup, free 800 out, fax works, Asterisk/BYOD, great price/plans"
Bad "No auto pay."
Overall "Great primary or backup service!"

-----update 01-21-2012-----
Another great year with F9. All systems working.
-----update 04-01-2011-----
Everything still working well.
-----update 03-14-2010-----
Life with F9 is good.
-----update 04-05-2009-----
Great service, reliable, excellent quality, fax & DTMF work consistently. Nitzan is very responsive and his service is so reliable I might not remember his name if he didn't participate in this forum. The year I've been with F9 has been a pleasure.
-----original review 3-2008-----
Started F9 on a beta test. Very responsive - personalized setup on member portal. I copied and pasted info into Asterisk, changed context, reloaded and outbound worked. Quality is as good or better than any I've tried. I couldn't get both outgoing and incoming working at the same time. Exchanged several support tickets and had a fix in about 16 hours.

Comments:

Review by rsriram22 See Profile

• Location: Lexington,Fayette,KY
Good "send my phone number as CID to 911"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "value for money."

update Nov 23 2013: no issues/complaints. still going strong with F9. i know the famous 'dont fix if it aint broken' saying, but sprucing up the website a liitle bit would help.

update May 28 2013: no issues/complaints. everything is good so far!

took about 30 days to port my number, but it is not F9's fault as it usually takes that long atleast for my number from my past porting experience. been happy so far (3+ weeks). they support setting the phone number in my account as CID when 911 calls are made (helps with smart911.com).

no complaints so far...

member for 7.6 years, 123 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
·Clear Wireless

F9 is better than you'd think.

With that ugly messy Freeswitch page (Like CallWithUs) uses... it's easy to overlook F9 as one of those "Guy in a garage" businesses. It's not bad... and they can actually port some numbers that the automated tool doesn't specify can be done.

With a good face lift to the site, I think F9 would be a bigger player.

Review by hwittenb See Profile

• Location: Moraga,Contra Costa,CA
Good "Excellent call quality quality, low cost"
Bad "Web page needs some work"
Overall "Good Value"

Future Nine is a little voip gem.

member for 10.3 years, 4292 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Davesworld See Profile

• Location: Everett,Snohomish,WA
Good "7 digit, 10 digit and overseas calls without using 011. Tech support bends over backwards to help."
Bad "Website could use a bit of polish but I'm used to it."
Overall "The service just plain works! Low cost service with high quality."

Update 10/09/13:
Old reliable. I can't remember the last time I actually had this service not work due to any of their equipment being down. Using g.711 gives good quality with no quality issues I could detect.

I recently decided to move to an IP Phone rather than have several DECT Pots sets plugged into my Audiocodes MP118 and having phones all over the house so I gave the improved Snom M9r a try. I initially had difficulty receiving incoming calls on F9. Tech support worked on it right away and it turns out that the Snom is sensitive to having (your 8 digit user)@(your 8 digit user) set on the server. They shorted mine to just (your 8 digit user) and it works fine.

MWI works with this IP Phone (M9r) and even worked when I was not getting incoming calls. It never worked on the MP118. Now that everything including MWI works with F9, there's not much I could criticize here. g.722 would be nice as many of us are starting to use it.

Update 04/21/10: F9 is in the process of switching to another carrier. We can now get CNAM in both directions and I now have incoming CNAM. This is real CNAM, not just a third rate CNAM clone.

Short Version:
Top notch voice quality and value due to careful methodical network build out by F9. Great and fast response by Tech support who is also very active in these forums.

Long version, caffeine recommended:
I got a good deal on a few Audiocodes MP-118 FXS ATAs and decided to try F9 after being weary of proprietary ATA devices that you can do nothing to fine tune to suit your line conditions. On a Nokia N95-3 it was painless and used it while waiting for the other two ATAs to arrive even though I dislike VOIP over any wifi link. For fun I used F9 over a router running 3G HSPA via a Cisco 1232 AP and it actually worked and automatically negotiated down to the g.729 codec. Of course there was a much more noticeable voice lag using 3G and WiFi at the same time but it did work and did not sound choppy for the few minutes I used it. F9 is not responsible if you get canceled by your 3G provider for violating their TOS.

When I started using the MP-118, there was a bit of a learning curve since F9 has not yet used such a device and there exists no config howtos for this as a result. By reading every single device config F9 DOES have listed, I was able to figure it out. The manual for my device is 486 pages long and read a lot of it more than once. As far as non HD telephony, I have not heard better. My hardware and F9 via ulaw results in very clear communication. I left the MP-118's jitter buffer at the default 10ms and all is well. The codec settings by default are already proper at 20ms packetization time.

I now have my cell calls forwarded to my F9 number while at home for better quality codec enjoyment ulaw versus gsm codec. Need I say more?

I live in Everett, Wa USA. Numerical CID works, incoming CNAM does not as of yet in my locale but is available in other places. Outgoing CNAM works perfectly in the real CNAM world.

The website itself is improving in small steps and is very usable.

Comments:

Review by Nite Rider See Profile

• Location: Lynnwood,Snohomish,WA
Good "Good pricing, reliability, and call quality."
Bad "Support is email only though it's not often needed."
Overall "Keeps our old home number working and is great for international calling."

·Future Nine Corp..
We started using Future Nine when Zingotel went under in May 2009.
They have been quite reliable over the years.
We use them mostly for international calling and call quality is always great.
The international rates are also quite good.

When we moved we ported our old home phone number to them.
It took almost two months but eventually they managed to get CenturyLink to release it.
It's been working on F9 for two years without issue.

Support is by email only but I have only contacted them a few times as it just works.

As long as you know your way around an ATA you won't have any issues getting hooked up.
Their website does have tutorials if you need assistance though.

Comments:

Review by pandora See Profile

• Location: Outland
Good "Future 9 provided great service"
Overall "A great VOIP service when I needed them, very helpful"

·ooma
·Google Voice
Long ago I used Future 9, and had a very positive experience. The review is now very out of date. I leave Future 9 with all 5 stars, which were earned by stellar service provided years ago. My review is redacted, as it is likely out of date. My belief in Future 9 is still very positive based on prior experience. Look to other reviews for more current reviews of Future 9.

member for 12.8 years, 5517 visits, last login: a few hours ago
updated 1 year ago

• Location: Napa,Napa,CA
Good "Reliable and cheap international and domestic calls. Responsive customer service (by email)."
Bad "Only email customer service but then that is why it is cheap."
Overall "Best VOIP as cost per product."

I ordered the service about four years ago mainly for making international calls. They provided the cheapest available prices for the needed destinations. Moving from one address to the other is very easy (unplug an plug then change the address online for the 911 service).

You can make your international calls from your cell phone by calling the multiple access numbers which is easier and cheaper than setting a SIP account on your smart phone which uses data that you may not have.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)