Future Nine Corporation page on DSLReports

Review by abripl See Profile

• Location: Pierre,Hughes,SD
Good "Good value basic plans"
Overall "Good value"

Its now a year since I started with FN. Have two lines and it is good value for the money especially the Bare Essentials for us. I'd say the closest competitor is Callcentric.

FN outside US/Canada calls are not as cheap anymore. I noticed several recent calls to England have gone up from 1C to 2C - even though the rates calculator says otherwise. That is similar rate to Callcentric and I notice my WebPhone account I have has raised their rates. I realize FN cannot sell at a loss but they should correct their rates calculator.

The FN website is not the most intuitive to get around but you could get used to it.

Call quality is about the same as other VOIP providers with occasional annoying gaps. Strange that my Webphone.com softphone account has much less gaps than either FN or Callcentric.

This year I have switched from yearly to monthly plan in case there is too much VOIP competition and FN drops out. But it sounds like a mom and pop operation and those last often a good while.

Comments:

Review by crazyk4952 See Profile

• Location: united state
Good "price, sound quality, reliability, quick support"
Bad "lack of features, website"
Overall "Good VOIP service"

I have been with Future nine for a few months now on the bare essentials plan. It took about 3 days to complete my DID order. I suspect that F9 does not stock DIDs to save on costs. If I have to wait 3 days and have an overall cheaper service, this is just fine with me.

I first started using a softphone, but then ordered a PAP2T. It arrived in a few days and was already configured. All I needed to do was plug it in. This is great for someone that is new to VOIP, since it just worked right out of the box.

So far I have been impressed with the quality of my calls. Having previously used a cell phone as my primary phone for the last several years, I had not realized how bad the call quality on cell phones was until I started using F9!

The reliability has been excellent as well. Line 1 on my PAP2T is always green and I have always gotten a dial tone when I picked up the line. I am not sure what kind of infrastructure F9 uses, but they really are rock-solid.

I have also been impressed with the support that F9 has. Usually I get a response back within a few hours. Also, Nitzan frequents the VOIP forum on this site and will often answer questions posted there as well.

For international calls, F9 has three different quality levels (and three different rates). I do not call internationally, but it seems like their rates are reasonable and it is nice that they give you the option of which route you want to use.

Really Good things about F9:

-Excellent call quality
-Excellent reliability
-Quick response time on support
-Cheap E911 service ($1/month)
-Honest pricing
-Free toll-free calls
-incoming CNAM included in the price of a DID
-calling rates are about as inexpensive as you can get while still being quality
-F9 will send you a preconfigured PAP2T
-free SIP calls
-low minimum refill amount ($15)
-account balance can be used towards a calling card
-web callback service

Things that could be improved:

-The website. Often it is hard to navigate and hard to find information.
-Call filters. It would be really nice to be able to block anonymous calls. Also to have some time/caller ID dependent filters.

Overall, I am happy with the service. I do hope that more features will be added soon!

05/06/10 Edit: I have stopped using F9 several months ago solely because they did not offer the features that I wanted from a VOIP provider. When I used them, they were reliable and inexpensive. Unfortunately, they do not send pre-configured ATAs anymore.

Just a note to anyone that is planning on using them to call grey international routes may want to look at this thread: »[Future9] Rate surprises (and not good ones)
I do not call internationally, so I never experienced the issue discussed in this thread.

member for 12.7 years, 1978 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by OmagicQ See Profile

• Location: Bakersfield,Kern,CA
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (month by month)
Good "Excellent value for the money, Reliable, Great quality audio, Plan minute meter"
Bad "The customer portal could use some refinement, no custom CNAM"
Overall "Great service and a Great value... A+"

I decided on Future 9 after getting experience using Callcentric and I wanted to get more value for the money. I had signed up an account some months ago and I just used it for testing and making toll free calls. I funded my account and selected the Bare Essentials plan as I more or less knew what my needs were and I saved the set up fee. After some tinkering with my PAP2T settings, the dial plan in particular, I've got it working how I want it and I only had to make a few support requests to change my outbound caller id to my Google Voice number and changing my billing cycle date to the 1st of each month. I requested the billing cycle change so I could monitor my account usage easily by looking at the current month detail and not have to remember what my cycle date was (I think it was the 14th.) to check how many minutes I've used.

The customer portal is a bit slow and "clunky" for lack of a better term but it works. It doesn't have to be pretty but it would be nice. If it was really important then I'd go back to Callcentric and pay nearly twice as much per minute. The one feature I miss is the custom CNAM that would match incoming calls to the phone book and use the phone book entry label if it existed. I'd prefer to be able to see Aunt Margaret instead of WIRELESS CALLER but again its not that important, it would be nice but I'm not leaving the service over it.

Overall I am very satisfied with the service and look forward to the servers being installed in California that will reduce the latency of calls and possibly reduce points of failure.

Update 11/21/09: I forgot to mention how long it took to get my incoming number provisioned, it was probably 2-3 days I'm not sure since I didn't get the email telling me it was active, I found out later when I made an outbound test call and noticed the number on the caller id of the phone I called. I don't remember exactly but I think I asked support about it and was told it was active. Outbound calling was active the day after I ordered the service since the credit had to be processed manually as a first time user. The next time I funded my account the credit was added more or less instantly.

Update 11/24/09: Nitzan added a meter showing plan minutes used and available, making it very easy to see where you are on minutes. This is a great feature for BE plan users. I think its worth the website rating bump from 4 to 5.

Update 05/05/10: A few months ago I stopped using the service and I have an unlimited calling plan for my cellphone that is paid by a company I work for. So my voip usage has gone down considerably. However I would still recommend the service to anyone who is looking for unlimited calling in the US. At $13.50 a month its a great deal and even better deal when to prepay a year.

Comments:

Review by signmeuptoo See Profile

• Location: NanoParticle
Good "Great support, especially considering principle people frequest DSLR"
Bad "Optional Discount Gray line (cheapest way) doesn't *always* work. Being billed more than was agreed on calls overseas, but smal"
Overall "I have been using F9 for a few weeks with the paygo option. For now, no monthly fee makes it even better"

I just yesterday received my "ATA" box, a Linksys PAP2T-NA. The nice people at F9 configured it for me so I didn't have to do anything more than just plug it in a play, if you will.

The People with F9 are very conscientious and the leadership will help when they can even here at DSLR. I will return here with a deeper review after I have put more money into the payg account, or after I sign up for one of the plans, which is optional.

Now consider:

Right before ordering the ATA from Future Nine and buying just a few minutes to start with, I cancled my Vonage account a week or so ahead of the cut off date. Vonage's service to The Philippines was horrible, either the connection had many drop outs per minute, or the call wouldn't even go through. Sure, the price is good: 13 cents to call my family in Cebu, but what good is any price if you can't make a manageable call? Vonage tried to blame my ISP (AT&T), and indeed, it is true that the internet service I get from AT&T is so so, but if it was the fault with my ISP, why am I able to get good calls through with Future Nine!

After I manage to afford buying a more substatial amount of minutes and I've used F9 for a few months I will report back.

UPDATE: Anyone who complains about this provider, they must be crazy. F9 lets you choose between gray, white, and Premium, so if one doesn't go through, for a tiny bit more money you get white or even premium. This is fantastic because it lets you choose and saves having to contact them for support, because if Gray won't work (and for many it does, I can call my wife's cellphone using gray sometimes, she is in the Philippines) then you just choose white or premium.

Using premium, which is competitively priced, my calls to my girl work very well, I can be watching internet streaming TV or torrents and still have the calls sound and work well at the same time, it's amazing! With Vonage calls never went through, I didn't have an option to try using a white or premium line, I had the huge monthly fee with Vonage, which made it no sense at all to keep the service since I have to keep my POTS provider since I get DSL from them and can't afford to go through the complex hassle of canceling my POTS line and then getting naked DSL, and it would only raise the rate that I pay for DSL with ATT.

Because of the fact that I can use F9 without a huge monthly fee, and keep F9 for what *I* most need it for (calling The Philippines), it's a total no brainer that, along with how good the service is and how dedicated and kind the people who run the business are, I don't think I could find a better provider.

I ordered a Linksys ATA from F9 and it shipped promptly, all set up and ready to go and it is a PAP2T-NA that seems to be a very good device. I even got a new one for cheap! Where else can you order a state of the art consumer class ATA for cheap, and fast shipping, all set up for the VOIP provider for a price very competitive to what's on eBay?

Order and install were EASY.

I think Nitzan and company are great folks. I am looking forward to a new webpage setup, that is the only thing I'd like to see more amped up. The webpage, the user console works, it's just not fancy. All the information you need, or at least most of it, is right there on the web console.

The bottom line?

1: Courteous, cary people.
2: Fast support and service.
3: Competitive prices.
4: No huge monthly fee, in fact, no montly fee at all unless you want a phone number and a plan for USA calling.
5: The fabulous option of making calls via either Gray, White, or Premium lines.
6: Flexible service: Call card, call back, softphone, and ATA access.
7: Excellent call quality, even on a non competitive, lower bandwidth DSL provider and even while using the DSL for other things at the same time!!!
8: Price competitive ATA supplier that will pre configure the device for you then ship it!

UPDATE: The DSLR system has prompted me to do an update, so here goes:

VOIP is not a perfect technology, so one cannot expect wall to wall service day in and night out, after all, POTS (plain old telephone) has had its issues itself, so nothing is perfect.

F9 has done what I think is a very decent job, Occasionally I can't get through to the Philippines but it has more to do with things over THERE than F9, because I have always had problems getting through with ANY service I have ever used. Sometimes I get a recording or it rings and rings and I have to use my POTS line. Sometimes the POTS line won't work and F9 does, so I keep both. I also have another company I am keeping in the wings just in case.

I DO have a complaint, but it is a minor one: (EDIT EDIT EDIT: following issue is resolved after PM to Nitzan) I am being charged 1.1 cents per minute more than the system quotes me on calls overseas, and I have sent a number of requests to get it fixed and the problem remains. I am kinda poor so the penny or so is a drag, but not enough for me to badmouth the outfit, because they are clearly working hard to provide good service and that comes first.

If they ever fix the fact that I am being billed 13.3 rather than 12.1 or whatever cents it is supposed to be I will be delighted, but I think I have come off like a pest asking them to fix it so I have given up. I don't like to be a complainer, I prefer acting like a desirable customer, and bothering them a lot just means they'd have to raise rates anyways.

I still strongly recommend this service, though I hope they will communicate a little better in the future.

Comments:

Review by Bill44130 See Profile

• Location: Cleveland,Cuyahoga,OH
Good "Good Stable Service - IT JUST WORKS"
Bad "No Complaints"
Overall "This service is a keeper"

·WOW Internet and..
***UPDATE---- 04/15/2010
Another year gone by.. The time just flies.. I couldn't be happier with my
Future-Nine Service. I think I had maybe 1 support issue that was resolved
right away. If there was any outage during the year we never noticed.

I even stuck my neck out this past year and helped my sister's move her service over to Future-Nine from Cox. My sister just loves the service, and she loves the money she is saving.

I would still recommend this service.

04/03/2009
I have been a Future-Nine customer for about a year now. I signed up to test how good the service is. I was a former SunRocket customer and thought it would be a good idea to have a good backup provider just in case one of my services decided to go out of business. Well has luck would have it Vonic’s apparently went out of business this past summer of 2008. My Vonics line was primarily used by my teenage kids. So I decided to sign up for the annual America Free Plan at that time. The kids never complain about any outage and the phone line gets used a lot. The phone just works! If there was ever an outage no one in my house ever noticed.

I recently ported over my fax line number over from Vonage.
I placed my order around the middle of March and ordered a new papt2 adapter with line 1 optimized for voice calls and line 2 optimized for fax. Before the week was out I had my new adapter and on April 1 my port was completed. Everything went just went so smoothly. Not to mention I am now saving about $17.00 monthly with the switch from Vonage.

I would strongly recommend this service!

Comments:

Review by crsboca See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Cheap, responsive service, no extra taxes or charges"
Bad "None for what I was looking for"
Overall "If they have a plan you like and you can set up ATA, great choice"

I have been using Future-Nine for a few months now, changing a line I used for a home office from Gizmo5 (acquired by Google). Most of my calls I can make toll free, so I don't use many minutes often. So far the service has been extremely reliable. Any questions I sent to technical support were answered quickly. Needless to say, since Nitzan usually answered them, the reliability of the content was extremely high. I have modem, ATA, router on battery backup and a call I was on worked during a power outage.

Today I decided to try a fax, even though that can be tricky using VOIP. Using one of the FAQ articles, »www.future-nine.com/faq/index.ph···tlang=en, I was able to learn how to set up for probable success faxing, and I was able to get it working.

So far I have no complaints at all.

Comments:

Review by soitgoes2 See Profile

Good "price, customer service, DID/porting coverage, all-inclusive prices, customizability"
Bad "online account interface still a work-in-progress"
Overall "An excellent choice for VoIP!"

I've been looking for a new VoIP provider for some time. Originally, I chose Vonage only because they were one of the few carriers who could port in my Iowa-based Qwest DID. For about a year, I've been searching for a new low-cost (especially to international destinations) VoIP provider who could port my number away from Vonage. Future-Nine was the first provider to be able to deliver on that (in a very reasonable couple of weeks). Not only were they able to port this number in, they also offer DIDs in a huge number of rate centers that includes a lot of areas that are often not available from VoIP providers.

Though a small start-up, Future-Nine offers good prices, excellent call quality, and strong customer service. The online account management section of the Future Nine website is not the most user-friendly, but there is good functionality there, and the website is under constant development during the beta. Future Nine is among just a handful of providers who operate under a principle of price transparency--the prices they advertise are the prices you pay.

Being a start-up, the owner is very much interested in meeting customer needs and feedback is not only valued, but also acted upon.

UPDATED: FN is working on their website, and E911 is now up and running!

UPDATED: FN continues to work on new features, such as a SIPBroker dial code and toll-free calling card access from the US and Canada.

UPDATED: I recently got a second set of SIP credentials for my FN account so I can use my account over Wifi with my Nokia smartphone as well as via my ATA at home. It's working great!

UPDATED: I got a dedicated DID to use for DID-based callback which I plan to use with an international SIM card.

member for 9.7 years, 1319 visits, last login: 1.5 years ago

Comments:

Review by scooby See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Excellent call quality, BYOD, Nitzan participates on BBR"
Bad "Website is below industry standards and you need patience for activation"
Overall "If the website was better, Future Nine would be unstoppable!"

·ooma
Here is my one month review of Future Nine:

I took an in-depth look at all the top providers on the BBR Good/Bad/Ugly (GBU) and Future Nine stood out as the provider I wanted to go with. I signed up for the America Free plan (pay for 1 year up front) based on the reviews and the fact that Nitzan participates in the forums here.

Timeline:
* 3 days for the service to be activated (I think I signed up late on a Friday night).
* 9 days later for my DID to be activated - I ordered a new DID in my home area

Outgoing calls worked fine during the period between activation and the DID was activated. The ANI was an Ohio number. After the DID was active, it has been smooth sailing. My wife enjoys the call quality and the fact that it just seems to always work. So far it has been an excellent Pots replacement. Overall with all things considered (price, website, activation time, call quality, stability, etc) Nitzan has himself an excellent service (Future Nine).

Comments:

Review by n1zuk See Profile

• Location: South Burlington,Chittenden,VT
Good "Pricing, Choice of service, Responsive support"
Bad "No CNAM on outgoing"
Overall "It's been an excellent year"

Update 02.March 2010

just received an email from Future Nine, to let me know that my one year plan on Bare Essentials was done. Hard to believe it has been one year already, as the telephone has just worked. Never a problem that I could fault Future Nine for. I could never say that about my previous VOIP providers.

Thanks, and good job! I just signed on for another year.

-----------------------------------------------
Update 26 Feb 2009

I took the plunge the other week, and switched to Future Nine to be my primary home provider. I was unhappy with the problems I was having with my previous one ("Maybe Phone"), and my experiences with F9 gave me confidence to give them a shot.

First, my situation: We typically use only 100-200 min/month of outbound domestic dialing. However, we average 800-1000 min/month of international calling. I had been using F9 as one of my international providers, and call quality has been very good and reliable. I wished to maintain my home DID, even though a good portion of our domestic calls are handled by two cell phones.

I ended up going with the Bare Essentials plan for $75/year. I also was given a discount on porting my number (typically $25), as I've been testing and using Future Nine from near their beginning. With no other junk fees tacked on, this has my monthly cost for my low usage domestic calling down to $7.20/month.

The good news is everything works as it should. Voice quality is excellent. The service has been reliable. I've learned my way around the control portal, and have most of the features mastered.

Future Nine has been testing their setup to begin implementing E911 for those who chose to use it. Current reports are that once up and running, those wishing E911 service can get it for a $1/month fee.

As I say in all of my VOIP reviews: "It is a telephone. It should work." And in Future Nine's case, it seems to do so just fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
(Original review from June 2008)
Future-Nine is one of the new upstarts in the VOIP provider market. The two major things going for them are the value of their services, and the responsiveness to customer's needs.

I'm using them as a PAYG (Pay As You Go) provider for my international calling (about 1000+ min/month). Their call quality and pricing have been exceptionally good for the two months I've been using their service.

Their support has been quick to address any issue, even if it isn't a problem with your call. They have been taking customer input on features and changes to the service they offer. One great feature is to be able to choose the quality of the call routing you use with each individual call. This is great if you find a route that is temporaily unavailable (it *IS* the Internet, after all!), you can try again using a different routing.

They also have all the bells and whistles VOIP customers expect -- web dialing, callback, dial in access numbers (like a prepaid calling card), 3-way calling, and many more. So far one of the best I've come across.

On the negative side (but then, they are new, growing, and in Beta), they have had some hardware issues with servers going down. They have been quick to resolve these issues, and get their hardware more reliable. Also, their web site is a little less than intuitive to navigate - certainly not as slick and professional as some other providers. But then, what is more important? I want a phone that works. I already visit many slick web sites.

I know that many VOIP providers come on as gangbusters, only to fade over time. I'm hoping that this one breaks that model, as they have a great amount of potential.

Comments:

Review by dublus See Profile

• Location: Moorpark,Ventura,CA
Good "Supports BYOD, great value."
Bad "Call times reflected in Eastern Time Zone, no number filtering tools."
Overall "Unless you're an Ooma or Magic Jack fan, this is the best for the average family."

We have had FN for over a year and the only problem we had was with our ISPs DNS servers. It caused the ATA to lose registration. You can't blame FN for that though. Once we changed to different DNS servers we haven't had a single problem.