ooma page on DSLReports

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "It just works."

11/2014 - Not one single issue to report. Service has been perfect.

10/2013 - Bought the device for, at the end of the day, $99 bucks at Best Buy. Normally $149, they had a $20 off and a $10 off and I got a $20 gift card.

Plugged it in to the network, got it all setup. Removed the firewall rules that VoIPO said I would never have (but they'd been there forever) and fired up the adapter. Got setup on the web site and I'm good to go.

Used the adapter a few times and decided to port my number. That process is expected to take about a week (should move on Nov. 6).

They do charge $39 to port a number. Unless you sign up for the premium features. I got a deal on that, too. 12 months for $98. The total monthly cost above figures in the adapter cost and the year at $98. Second year should be cheaper.

My VoIPO price was running me about half that. But if I don't have the problems with Ooma that I had with VoIPO, totally worth it.

member for 10.4 years, 5071 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by paradigmfl See Profile

• Location: Daytona Beach,Volusia,FL
Good "Very cheap, fairly reliable"
Bad "Strange remote caller id display, some delay, less reliability than POTS"
Overall "Great deal for people not needing absolutely perfect service"

·Bright House
I bought my Ooma Telo over 5 years ago for $200 at a local Best Buy. I've definitely received my money's worth from it! For the first year or two they only charged me for taxes annually and this was about $15 a year. After those first couple years they changed the deal and charge between $3.50 - $4 a month for the taxes. Other than this there has been no additional charges.

Call quality is good to acceptable and most of the time the person on the other cannot even tell you are using anything other than POTS.

There are two small issues however which sometimes might come up:

1. There can on occasion be a 0.25 - 0.5 second delay.
2. Often when calling out of state the other party has reported strange displays on their caller ID. It seems it is about 50/50 that this happens.

Outages have been extremely rare. In five years I think there may have been one period where it was out for over three hours. I cannot remember the last time I used it and was not able to make a call. I have -- perhaps three times a year on average -- had someone claim to have called me and not had the phone ring on my end, however. But these instances could be from any number of things including transient problems with my internet connection.

Overall I calculated that I have easily saved over $2,000 due to my Ooma so what is not to like?

member for 9.4 years, 442 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ProtusMose See Profile

• Location: Bellevue,Sarpy,NE
Good "Easy set up, great call quality, essentially no monthly bill, stable service"
Bad "Requires electricity/cable means potential outage during severe weather"
Overall "Great compromise to cut the line but keep home phone, but keep a home line"

Ordered on sale from Amazon. After I got the package, it was up and running in 5-10 minutes with a temporary number. Kept the old line active until they gave us the notice it was officially switched. Took ~5 days. No real problems since. Call quality is better than landline was. No delay or echo. No dropped calls. Paid for itself in four months or so. Bought a UPS to power cable modem and Ooma unit so it still works in a power outage.

member for 13.2 years, 7714 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by SFBambooNet See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Price"
Bad "Poor sound quality, poor conversation handling. Not ready for prime time"
Overall "Latency issues that cannot be resolved. Poor quality, difficult to converse"

I have had Ooma for over 6 months now. Two lines, residential. It is connected to a Comcast / xfinity "blast" service which tests at 35- 55mbps down and 9 - 12 mbps up.

Most calls have issues of latency and garbling. Latency causes a lag between the two parties and people I am talking to think I am rudely talking over them. Other times the line degrades to a garbled mess. I have called Ooma many times and they keep trying to "fix" the problem. However, it remains the same. With little or no improvement at first, then a degradation to where it is today.

Bottom line: I wish I had not spent the time and money on switching to Ooma

Buyer beware.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

Different Server?

Do you have the option of selecting a different server, one closer to you perhaps? I'm using VOIP.MS and can select servers all over the country. There is none here in Phoenix but I was able to choose one in L.A. and it works well whereas on far away in N.Y. might not work that well for me. If that's not an option maybe just switch to another service like VOIP.MS since it's very inexpensive.
samo300
join:2009-03-28
Suwanee, GA

Ooma

I have had great success with Ooma since my T-Mobile @home box failed. Both were good reliable service for a reasonable price ($4.02 monthly).

Review by alchav See Profile

• Location: Saint George,Washington,UT
Good "Fantastic, matches Telco Phone Service!"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "VoIP is the only way to go these days!"

I have Ooma Premier, and mainly for the Blocking Features which are fantastic because I almost get no Spam Calls. I have had Ooma for a while now, I use to have two Verizon lines and Ported one over with no problems. Ooma handled everything, Porting the number over and disconnecting my Service with Verizon. I have the basic single line Telo, which was very easy to set up they have OnLine instructions just plug the Telo into your Router, and plug in your Phone and you are Hot to Go. I have moved several times, and setting up the Phone has been easy and great, even used Call Forwarding to my Cell Phone. If you are looking for a VoIP that matches a Telco Land Line look no further.

member for 12.5 years, 3088 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great to get away from telco & cableco voip!"
Bad "Rare downtime, ISPs tweaking net neutrality sucks"
Overall "Phone service for $3.74. - $3.79 (varies basesd upon monthly use) a month. $10 more if you want premium features"

·Optimum Online
I paid $184 (2012) and got a $50 rebate, so net price was $144! Even with premier of $100 a year, I'm saving about $21 a month over FIOS voip and would have spent $16 more than Optimum Voice. The ooma Service went down once in the first 4 months and not for long (1/2 hour). I have a cell phone as backup and that's all I need.

Why pay more with other telecoms or 3rd party voip companies?

Sure, you might get a better upfront deal with a MagicJack, but long-term, Ooma is the better value and reliable service. Ooma pays for itself in as little as 6-12 months. As of this review I've saved $85 on voip by cancelling Verizon Fios triple play and subscribing to Optimum Boost 50/8 for $44.90 a month (if I include video cancellation, it's a net savings of $40 a month)

The Ooma forum is very good first line support and circumvents the need for many customer service calls.

As long as my Ooma telo holds out... I'm a happy camper.

Update: I've had the Ooma for 2 years.. and recently (February, 2014) I think Verizon's been messing with their customers because there was some bad voip quality during the month of February. In a few weeks it cleared, but I was annoyed. During the same time I had limited ability to stream video. Maybe I should have called Verizon also to complain but I was too busy working. I still think Ooma is a good deal & the equipment has gotten cheaper. You can buy NEW units for $149 and often you might find deals as low as $99 for a new one. Maybe Ooma will make a newer VOIP box soon. This current one seems outdated by current technology standards. Ooma also has a referral program where you will get Amazon gift cards as a reward. That puts Ooma well below other VOIP services based on cost alone.

Comments:

Review by martski See Profile

• Location: Walworth,Wayne,NY
Good "Connection, Reliability, Price, Tech support.."
Overall "GREAT!"

I am so happy with OOMA. The $11.00 is for the premier, which includes a second separate line along with other options. You can blacklist numbers, stop telemarketers, give special messages if you choose. Amazing.

Comments:

Review by oCyberFreako See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Better phone quality than traditional services, and incredibly better prices."
Bad "$40 number portability fee, took time to finalize setups. Final Billing issues with Bell"
Overall "I was paying over $40 dollars with Bell, now it's ~$4 a month!"

·Start Communicat..
Hi Everyone!

This is just an update. I've had Ooma now since appx. May 8, 2013, I purchased the premier 1 year service on May 23rd.

My past Bell Canada service ran at an average of $54 for the 2012 year ($648 total)

I can proudly say that this coming December, I have recuperated the cost of switching services.
$141.25 ($125+13%) tax for the Telo unit which included the Bluetooth adapter
$120 for the year subscription (and the complementary $40 number port that came with it)
$31.84 ($3.98*8) for taxes/fees/VoIP 911
$293.09 the appx total spent.

What I would have paid with Bell from July-December: $324.00
What I have paid with Ooma from May(April)-December: $293.09

Next year had I stuck with bell I would have paid $648
Next year with Ooma I will end up paying $47.76 - $135.68 (depends if we stick with premier service)

Time to setup service: 30min-1hr (waiting for system updates, setting up router with QoS, and disconnecting the outside line)

Porting: Estimated 4-6 weeks actual porting...
Order received Received order on Jul 05, 2013
Port completed Your port completed on Jul 17, 2013

Pros:
Inexpensive Service
Company pays it's taxes
Excellent Quality of Service

Cons:
Having to deal with Bell when they continue billing. and still having to call to have them issue credits when they want to be reimbursed late fees on services that were given credit for.
I had to explain to Bell that you gave them 30days notice, and it was up to them when services were released.
If porting happens sooner than expected sometimes you don't get notified.

Edited on 1/02/2014 to clear up the $120 subscription and number port fee details.
Edited on 1/15/2014:
EDITED on 1/16/2014 - MODERATION - Referral Link Removed

Comments:

Review by swanboy See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Great custom equipment, Excellent call quality, really nice web portal"
Bad "None really, except for premier that cost extra money (but that makes sense..)"
Overall "Absolutely the best, and cheapest option for a solid voip provider"

·magicjack.com
I've been following ooma since inception. I finally went for it. There was an incredible price at my local Costco ($169+tax).

Ease of setup was excellent. The ooma site is very well made, easy to navigate. The call quality has been excellent so far. The tax I'm paying monthly will be $3.47 which is unfortunate but necessary... and come on, its only 3 bucks.

Great Price, Great Quality. I'll update as needed,

UPDATE: 1/24/11

For my most recent install... I've successfully ported a number from uverse to ooma. Total processing / porting time was less than 10 days. Impressive, IMO. Plenty of status emails, and no hiccups in service.

I continue to be very satisfied.

UPDATE: 12/31/13

I still pay $3.xx/month in taxes. Quality is still great, no issues.

Comments:

Sanman770

@207.140.191.x

Fax

Have you sent or received any faxes?

Review by samo300 See Profile

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Call quality and price"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service"

One of my lunch buddies recommended Ooma for years. I recently started having problems with my T-Mobile@Home and contacted support at both Charter and T-Mobile. Each said it was the other. A little troubleshooting and I decided that the T-Mobile@Home router had to be the culprit. T-Mobile@Home worked great for 6 years. Ordered the Ooma Telo and was back in business in two days. Very easy to config. It took 6 days to port my number. I have been on Ooma service for a month and I have to admit I should have changed a long time ago. I decided to add the premier service and also add my Google voice number to the config. I am happy with the value of the service for the money since it is the same price as T-Mobile@Home. I really love the blacklist and have enjoyed very few calls from telemarketers. If a caller makes it through the community blacklist, I add the number to the personal blacklist. The personal blacklist can block anyone you desire.

updated 1 year ago