ooma page on DSLReports

Review by SFBambooNet See Profile

• Location: Santa Rosa,Sonoma,CA
Good "Price"
Bad "Poor sound quality, poor conversation handling. Not ready for prime time"
Overall "Latency issues that cannot be resolved. Poor quality, difficult to converse"

I have had Ooma for over 6 months now. Two lines, residential. It is connected to a Comcast / xfinity "blast" service which tests at 35- 55mbps down and 9 - 12 mbps up.

Most calls have issues of latency and garbling. Latency causes a lag between the two parties and people I am talking to think I am rudely talking over them. Other times the line degrades to a garbled mess. I have called Ooma many times and they keep trying to "fix" the problem. However, it remains the same. With little or no improvement at first, then a degradation to where it is today.

Bottom line: I wish I had not spent the time and money on switching to Ooma

Buyer beware.

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ
·T-Mobile US

Different Server?

Do you have the option of selecting a different server, one closer to you perhaps? I'm using VOIP.MS and can select servers all over the country. There is none here in Phoenix but I was able to choose one in L.A. and it works well whereas on far away in N.Y. might not work that well for me. If that's not an option maybe just switch to another service like VOIP.MS since it's very inexpensive.
samo300
join:2009-03-28
Suwanee, GA

Ooma

I have had great success with Ooma since my T-Mobile @home box failed. Both were good reliable service for a reasonable price ($4.02 monthly).

Review by Pluckey See Profile

• Location: Georgetown,Sussex,DE
Good "Never got to find out unfortunately"
Bad "Getting past set up. Device problem?"
Overall "Disapointing"

I got the Ooma device at Radio Shack. I was excited to bring it home, but could not for the life of me get that thing to work. I’m no expert in the voip field, but I’m not incompetent at it either. I know enought to effectively troubleshoot with someone. Called support and waited about 20 mins to get someone. No chat option unfortunately. The guy who helped me tried different options with set up, but it just wasn’t happening. They got neutral threes on the ratings for things that I wasn't able to try. Very disappointed and I'll just be getting something else.

Comments:

Review by jacobslive See Profile

• Location: Toms River,Ocean,NJ
Good "Call quality, Fax/Alarm Compatible, good to call within US"
Bad "Rip-off premium services, False second line claim with premium service"
Overall "Highly recommended for those who wants to call ONLY in US, others forget it"

·VOIPO
·PHONE POWER
First impression: WOW, then WTF?
Well I can say for sure that Ooma is the best choice for those who wants to call ONLY within US. All others including those wans to call Canada and looking to save money, look for alternatives.

Monthly charges:

Calls within US only: $3.50 (approx.)

International Calls:
$10.00 for Premium Service
$10.00 for 1000 International Minutes

Total Cost: $23.50 per month for 1000 international minutes and unlimited US calls. Remember you are paying this amount every month after you bought a premium priced device.

Mobile Application: Rip-off
You pay $10.00 for the application and pay another $10.00 every month to use this application effectively with only 250 minutes US calls over 3G or WiFi.

Call charges outside US without premium service: Total Rip-off.

Second Line with Premium service: Their claim is misleading. You get a virtual second line with capability of having a conference with upto 3 people including you. I have been a PhonePower customer for more than 2 years and they provide dedicated 2nd line with the same DID. You can make conference call with upto 5 people with 2 physical lines.

If you use fax and/or wants to connect your VOIP line to alarm systems, Ooma is the only reliable choice after PhonePower. So yes, I am keeping Ooma as these are my priorities and I have another SIP provider to make international calls around the wold for less than a penny per minute and FREE to some destinations.

I will recommend Ooma for only those wants to make calls within US and/or wants to use it with your fax machine/alarm system. All others, if you do a little bit of maths, you know that you have wide VOIP options around the corner than Ooma.

Comments:

Review by gripshift See Profile

• Location: Chicago,Cook,IL
Good "decent call quality, albeit variable depending on link/route"
Bad "only some people can call Ooma phone number/users + bad cus svc"
Overall "look for another VOIP vendor"

It is a known issue with Ooma that XO users cannot call Ooma users' phones - instead they get a voice message stating that the call cannot go thru as dialed. I have had Ooma for a couple years. The customer service is at the low end, fairly unprofessional and often difficult to understand reps - i.e., English not their native language. They will generate a "ticket" for a problem (although sometimes you have to bully them into doing it) and then they will call you back several times in the following weeks asking you for the same information you gave the Ooma rep who generated the problem ticket, hence wasting your time at the same time not fixing the problem in a timely manner.