ooma page on DSLReports

Review by tmc8080 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Great to get away from telco & cableco voip!"
Bad "Rare downtime, ISPs tweaking net neutrality sucks"
Overall "Phone service for $3.74. - $3.79 (varies basesd upon monthly use) a month. $10 more if you want premium features"

·Optimum Online
I paid $184 (2012) and got a $50 rebate, so net price was $144! Even with premier of $100 a year, I'm saving about $21 a month over FIOS voip and would have spent $16 more than Optimum Voice. The ooma Service went down once in the first 4 months and not for long (1/2 hour). I have a cell phone as backup and that's all I need.

Why pay more with other telecoms or 3rd party voip companies?

Sure, you might get a better upfront deal with a MagicJack, but long-term, Ooma is the better value and reliable service. Ooma pays for itself in as little as 6-12 months. As of this review I've saved $85 on voip by cancelling Verizon Fios triple play and subscribing to Optimum Boost 50/8 for $44.90 a month (if I include video cancellation, it's a net savings of $40 a month)

The Ooma forum is very good first line support and circumvents the need for many customer service calls.

As long as my Ooma telo holds out... I'm a happy camper.

Update: I've had the Ooma for 2 years.. and recently (February, 2014) I think Verizon's been messing with their customers because there was some bad voip quality during the month of February. In a few weeks it cleared, but I was annoyed. During the same time I had limited ability to stream video. Maybe I should have called Verizon also to complain but I was too busy working. I still think Ooma is a good deal & the equipment has gotten cheaper. You can buy NEW units for $149 and often you might find deals as low as $99 for a new one. Maybe Ooma will make a newer VOIP box soon. This current one seems outdated by current technology standards. Ooma also has a referral program where you will get Amazon gift cards as a reward. That puts Ooma well below other VOIP services based on cost alone.

member for 9.9 years, 1065 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by martski See Profile

• Location: Walworth,Wayne,NY
Good "Connection, Reliability, Price, Tech support.."
Overall "GREAT!"

I am so happy with OOMA. The $11.00 is for the premier, which includes a second separate line along with other options. You can blacklist numbers, stop telemarketers, give special messages if you choose. Amazing.

Comments:

Review by oCyberFreako See Profile

• Location: Sarnia,ON
Good "Better phone quality than traditional services, and incredibly better prices."
Bad "$40 number portability fee, took time to finalize setups. Final Billing issues with Bell"
Overall "I was paying over $40 dollars with Bell, now it's ~$4 a month!"

·Start Communicat..
Hi Everyone!

This is just an update. I've had Ooma now since appx. May 8, 2013, I purchased the premier 1 year service on May 23rd.

My past Bell Canada service ran at an average of $54 for the 2012 year ($648 total)

I can proudly say that this coming December, I have recuperated the cost of switching services.
$141.25 ($125+13%) tax for the Telo unit which included the Bluetooth adapter
$120 for the year subscription (and the complementary $40 number port that came with it)
$31.84 ($3.98*8) for taxes/fees/VoIP 911
$293.09 the appx total spent.

What I would have paid with Bell from July-December: $324.00
What I have paid with Ooma from May(April)-December: $293.09

Next year had I stuck with bell I would have paid $648
Next year with Ooma I will end up paying $47.76 - $135.68 (depends if we stick with premier service)

Time to setup service: 30min-1hr (waiting for system updates, setting up router with QoS, and disconnecting the outside line)

Porting: Estimated 4-6 weeks actual porting...
Order received Received order on Jul 05, 2013
Port completed Your port completed on Jul 17, 2013

Pros:
Inexpensive Service
Company pays it's taxes
Excellent Quality of Service

Cons:
Having to deal with Bell when they continue billing. and still having to call to have them issue credits when they want to be reimbursed late fees on services that were given credit for.
I had to explain to Bell that you gave them 30days notice, and it was up to them when services were released.
If porting happens sooner than expected sometimes you don't get notified.

Edited on 1/02/2014 to clear up the $120 subscription and number port fee details.
Edited on 1/15/2014:
EDITED on 1/16/2014 - MODERATION - Referral Link Removed

Comments:

Review by swanboy See Profile

• Location: Hollywood,Broward,FL
Good "Great custom equipment, Excellent call quality, really nice web portal"
Bad "None really, except for premier that cost extra money (but that makes sense..)"
Overall "Absolutely the best, and cheapest option for a solid voip provider"

·magicjack.com
I've been following ooma since inception. I finally went for it. There was an incredible price at my local Costco ($169+tax).

Ease of setup was excellent. The ooma site is very well made, easy to navigate. The call quality has been excellent so far. The tax I'm paying monthly will be $3.47 which is unfortunate but necessary... and come on, its only 3 bucks.

Great Price, Great Quality. I'll update as needed,

UPDATE: 1/24/11

For my most recent install... I've successfully ported a number from uverse to ooma. Total processing / porting time was less than 10 days. Impressive, IMO. Plenty of status emails, and no hiccups in service.

I continue to be very satisfied.

UPDATE: 12/31/13

I still pay $3.xx/month in taxes. Quality is still great, no issues.

member for 13.2 years, 2433 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Sanman770

@207.140.191.x

Fax

Have you sent or received any faxes?

Review by samo300 See Profile

• Location: Suwanee,Gwinnett,GA
Good "Call quality and price"
Bad "none"
Overall "Great Service"

One of my lunch buddies recommended Ooma for years. I recently started having problems with my T-Mobile@Home and contacted support at both Charter and T-Mobile. Each said it was the other. A little troubleshooting and I decided that the T-Mobile@Home router had to be the culprit. T-Mobile@Home worked great for 6 years. Ordered the Ooma Telo and was back in business in two days. Very easy to config. It took 6 days to port my number. I have been on Ooma service for a month and I have to admit I should have changed a long time ago. I decided to add the premier service and also add my Google voice number to the config. I am happy with the value of the service for the money since it is the same price as T-Mobile@Home. I really love the blacklist and have enjoyed very few calls from telemarketers. If a caller makes it through the community blacklist, I add the number to the personal blacklist. The personal blacklist can block anyone you desire.

Comments:

Review by Nightfall See Profile

• Location: Grand Rapids,Kent,MI
Good "Fast setup, fast number port, excellent call quality"
Bad "Premier is $10 a month with many features that make it a requirement for me. Wish it was cheaper"
Overall "A solid VOIP provider that works very well for me."

·Site5.com
I was on Callcentric for a few years prior to Ooma. Callcentric was my first VOIP provider and I had no plans to move away from them. I was paying about $15 a month after taxes to Callcentric, and I had plans to get a second line and increase my minutes. After seeing that my price would jump to $20 a month or so, I decided to look elsewhere.

My cousin has Ooma and sent me a referral. After reading through the reviews here, I snagged a Ooma Telo off of Amazon for $100 while it was on sale. I kicked in a $20 gift card I got for my birthday to bring the cost down to $80. I plugged the Ooma in, and after reading the quick start guide, I was up and running within minutes. Looking online, I saw I could get Ooma Premier for $120 a year and I get a free number port. After reading some comments online, I found out I could save a bit more if I called and ordered them both. I did this and got Ooma Premier with the number port for $100 this year. Add that into the free 60 days of Premier that I got when I got Ooma Telo and I won't have to worry about renewing Premier until September next year.

The number port went through very smoothly. I really liked the website that kept me advised of my port from start to finish. It took about 6 days to get that situated. This was a definite improvement over my last number port which took about a week as well but I didn't have any status updates on it through Callcentric. I had to open a few tickets about it while I waited. Working with Ooma on this was a nice improvement.

There are a lot of people who wonder if Premier is worth it. There are many features such as the second line, call blocking, and so on that are very nice to have. At $10 a month, many people shy away from it. The best advice I can give here is for you to snag it and give it a try when you get your Telo. I love the features of Premier so I intend to hold onto it.

The Ooma Telo unit is very nice. I purchased an Ooma Linx box for my fax machine that ran me $40 on sale, but pairing that with my Ooma Telo was very easy to do. The faxing capability works very well to boot.

The only negative I had through this whole process of installation was that my second line didn't work at the time of install. I did a live support chat with Ooma and they gave me a new second number which did work after testing. Took me 5 minutes to accomplish this, so if that was the worst I could expect, then I am happy.

Overall, I recommend Ooma, and I will be updating this review as time goes on with my experiences.

---

Update 9/19/13 - It has been about a month since I updated this, but so far things are going very well. The premier features are very nice to have. Faxing over the ooma connection is flawless. The call quality is amazing. I love the blacklisting and call blocking features that come with premier a lot. My next review won't happen for a while, but so far, I am very happy.

Update 11/22/13 - In October, I had an issue where if I called my number, I was getting a "number not available" message. It really was a weird problem. After rebooting, I called Ooma and they looked into it. A day later, they said that a telecom company slammed me and tried to transfer my number over to them. With a little investigation, I determined it was some small company that I have never heard of. Probably they intended to jack my rates up after they got my number. Ooma ported it back, but I was without my main number for about three weeks while this was going on. They credited me 2 months of premier for the inconvenience. So while I am upset at the tech support, I cannot be too upset with them. I downgraded them from a 4 to a 3 for customer support because I feel this could have been fixed a lot faster. Still loving Ooma though. Glad I went with them. We have two phone numbers and the premier package.

member for 12.7 years, 5690 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH

Re: Your latest update (11/22/13)

Wow, that's scary that the other rogue company somehow managed to have gotten hold of the info they would have needed to port steal your number... hopefully this isn't too common of an occurrence in the VOIP world.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
·ooma

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_slamming

I have known about it and seen it happen, but never to me. The company that tried to take the number was some little bell company that loves to overcharge for service. Glad I got my number back, but it was still infuriating. My phone number was offline for 3 weeks. Ooma really did a decent job, but a 4 star or 5 star job would have been for them to be in touch with me during the process. I didn't hear from them that often and I had to ask more often than I wanted or expected to.
My domain - Nightfall.net
slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
·magicjack.com
·WOW Internet and..

said by Nightfall:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_slamming

I've always thought slamming happened mostly on regular POTS lines. I remember it used to be a big problem about 10-20 years ago when people had their long distance service switched ("slammed") without their consent. But I guess it also happens on cell phones too with people (or their kids) unwittingly signing up for Premium SMS services that incur extra monthly charges on postpaid cell bills.

And then there was (or is still) cramming, where third parties used to (and still do?) "cram" charges on the bill and you have to beg AT&T/Verizon/etc. to remove the charges and block third party billing... yet another thing I don't miss about POTS.

What's scary is that they actually succeeded in getting your number and knocked it out for a while. I'm wondering if there's a decent chance this could happen to me (I'm on Callcentric) and if there's anything I can do to prevent it?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
·ooma

said by Nightfall:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_slamming

Good question. All I can tell you is that it happened to me and I have no idea how to prevent it. Could it happen to others? Probably. It really was a mess.
My domain - Nightfall.net

Review by John97 See Profile

• Location: Spring Hill,Hernando,FL
Good "Easy to set up, crystal clear audio quality"
Bad "No complaints so far."
Overall "Nice features with the Premier package"

·Bright House
I recently switched my phone service to Ooma and am very pleased so far. Call quality is outstanding, and I really appreciate many of the features of the Premier package. I'm going to get a few Linx devices so I can use the instant 2nd line feature, for example.

member for 13.4 years, 3667 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by scooby See Profile

• Location: Schaumburg,Cook,IL
Good "Extremely reliable and excellent call quality"
Overall "OOMA just plain works"

I was recently reminded that it was my 1 year anniversary with OOMA so I figured it was time to do a review. Call quality is excellent and OOMA just works. Pick up the phone and it always works. I got the premium for 1 year for the free number port. I will renew premium if they give the discount.

I do recommend not putting it between your router and modem if you are a geek and can handle QOS yourself. OOMA tends to send out updates and reboot the device which will kick you offline. As someone that lives online 24/7 (work from home) it was annoying they would reboot without any notice.

member for 12.9 years, 6012 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ke4pym See Profile

• Location: Charlotte,Mecklenburg,NC

10/2013 - Bought the device for, at the end of the day, $99 bucks at Best Buy. Normally $149, they had a $20 off and a $10 off and I got a $20 gift card.

Plugged it in to the network, got it all setup. Removed the firewall rules that VoIPO said I would never have (but they'd been there forever) and fired up the adapter. Got setup on the web site and I'm good to go.

Used the adapter a few times and decided to port my number. That process is expected to take about a week (should move on Nov. 6).

They do charge $39 to port a number. Unless you sign up for the premium features. I got a deal on that, too. 12 months for $98. The total monthly cost above figures in the adapter cost and the year at $98. Second year should be cheaper.

My VoIPO price was running me about half that. But if I don't have the problems with Ooma that I had with VoIPO, totally worth it.

member for 9.7 years, 4773 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Bob859 See Profile

• Location: Elk River,Sherburne,MN
Good "very reliable, saves me money, excellent call quality"
Bad "I can't think of anything"
Overall "It is rare that I am this happy with any product or service."

Update: I have now been using my Ooma for over four years. My opinion is the same. It is an excellent product that has saved me hundreds of dollars. I highly recommend Ooma. I love it.

It was three years ago today when I installed my ooma. I am still a happy customer. I have had no problems. It still works great, I am a happy buyer and I continue to save money each month.

Update: I have now been using the ooma for over two years and my opinion of it is the same. It is reliable and I am very happy with the service that I enjoy with my ooma.

My wife and I got rid of our landline in 2005. We used cell phones only, until we bought the ooma. The ooma has enabled us to greatly reduce our cell phone usage, hence, it is a money saver. (We were able to replace our AT&T postpaid phones with PagePlus prepaid phones).
We have been using the ooma since August, 2009. I have had no complaints. It has worked flawlessly.
We have no need for the Premier features, so there is no monthly or annual cost. My net cost for the device was $176. I have had no other expenses with the ooma.
I have found the ooma website, and especially the customer forums, to be very helpful.