voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by scottb8888 See Profile

• Location: Dublin,Franklin,OH
Good "Great service, quick turn up, not real expensive"

I have SIP trunks into my home PBX with multiple DID numbers from Voip.ms. Things are working great. I have severe; sip phones that I take on vacation. I have 8xx service as well as local service.

Comments:

Review by LineNoise See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Du Page,IL
Good "Cheap, Reliable, Best support I've come across"

I am blown away by voip.ms. They're customer support is shockingly good. I've had their service for 9 months now and while we don't regularly use our house phone we've never had an issue when going to use it. Today I tried calling a toll-free number and I received a message that it could not be reached from my calling area. I chatted with support and it was resolved in less than 60 seconds, that's getting to a rep, explaining my problem and having them fix it ALL IN LESS THAN 60 SECONDS. There's been a few times I've been confused about something and chatted with them and they've always taken the time to explain in detail. voip.ms is probably the only company I don't hesitate contacting support because I usually already know more than the support person and spend so much time trying to explain the issue.

member for 8.2 years, 1194 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Voip.ms support

I totally agree.

I have contacted support on at least a dozen occasions in my two years as a customer and they have always had the answers I needed.

I can say for a fact, at least in my case, they actually go above and beyond what some other providers do.

Did I mention that they respond quickly?

I'm sure there will be folks who hate their support and think that it's just terrible, but I'm definitely in the other camp.

Just my thoughts......

Review by Cogeco User See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliability and Quality of Service"
Overall "Fully Satisfied"

I used to be a great fan of our Bell Canada legacy phone service because it is very robust, has great voice quality, and works through power outages. I had 2 lines before, home and home office. But since moving to a different neighbourhood 4 years ago, we experience periods of static and hum during the spring and heavy rains that Bell cannot resolve. It seems that their copper cable plant is no longer getting the maintenance it needs before it is eventually replaced with fibre. Walking around my neighbourhood, I see several damaged cable pedestals with missing covers and exposed wires that do not get fixed anymore. The other problem with legacy service is the lack of decent analog business phones – you can still get old Nortel Meridian and Aastra sets that work well, but they are no longer attractive devices because of their poor displays and limited functionality when not connected to a PBX. The Chinese-made analog phones (ATT, RCA) you can get at Staples are not good enough for business use, in my opinion.

I tried a couple of VOIP services (Vonage – poor call quality and expensive, no user-defined outgoing caller ID), (YAK – terrible support, almost zero documentation, no user-defined outgoing caller ID). When I ordered a DID on VOIP.MS I was able to establish dial tone right away, using the ATA left over from YAK and the WIKI instructions for this device. After 6 weeks of using it for home office calls on a trial basis, I ported my office line to VOIP.MS and haven’t looked back. I use my line about 40 hours per month, burning up one US$25 prepayment (including 3 DID’s) per month, so I spend a LOT of time on this service.

I use a Yealink T22P phone set which I got for $87 online and gives me the functionality and display I used to have on my Cisco VOIP phone at the office. I did spend several few hours exploring all the functionality of this phone and all the features available from VOIP.MS, to optimize everything for my needs – this is not a task for your grandma! I use a Plantronics wired headset/amplifier combo with this set that plugs into the dedicated headset jack of this phone.

Now we have the best of both worlds – a Bell line for personal calls and a VOIP line for my office work, giving us diversity if one line has a problem. But in fact I have had no outages on my VOIP line except when our power was off for a few hours and the UPS for the cable modem, router, and VOIP phone completely discharged.

I had one dropped call which was explained when VOIP issued a server reset alert. I have had other dropped calls for unknown reasons – cable provider or VOIP? But they have been few and far between, were not persistent, and could be resolved quickly by redialling. On rare occasions, I notice a very slight latency which I assume has more to do with my internet access than VOIP.MS. (I typically have a 9 to 11 ms Ping to the Toronto server.) I have not tried to set up VOIP QOS on my router since I do not understand how this works and don’t know if it is even useful.

Financially, even with a usage of 2,300 minutes per month I am better off. With my Bell reseller I was spending $40 for a line with Call Display, Voicemail, and a 500-minute Canada-wide LD package. With VOIP.MS I usually spend $27.50, factoring in the US exchange at 10%. But when I am away on vacation for a month, I only spend $3 for my 3 DID’s.

I get the very best audio quality sending and receiving, and better than my landline, when I use my Plantronics Bluetooth headset with my Ipad. I terminate one of my DID’s on my IPAD for traveling using the Bria client, and I was even able to call my bank over a slow hotel internet connection from Indonesia. There was severe latency, but it worked.

The only negative I find is in getting a cordless VOIP phone, since I would have to use an ATA with an analog cordless system. There is a Yealink VOIP cordless base station but that is extremely expensive when you start adding handsets.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
Morrow Project fan
join:2013-03-10
Outland

Very useful review.

Thank you for your detailed and very informative review of Voip.MS.

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

cordless IP phones

You do not have to use an ATA if you want a cordless IP phone. Take a look at either the Gigaset C601A IP or the Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System.

Both of these phones handle a number of SIP accounts natively.

Review by aldo See Profile

Good "Lots to praise"
Bad "Nothing to complain about"
Overall "Lots to praise and nothing to complain about"

Update 2014-08-07
Voip.Ms continues to work flawlessly.

I have always liked voip.ms for it many features, especially the
IVR. But it wasn't until somebody casually mentioned, several months
ago, that he used the IVR as a challenge, saying something like:
Press 1 to ring the phone, that the penny dropped and I realized I
could stop whitelisting during the day, and that the telemarketer
robots would hang up when they hear the answering machine, while
human callers would know enough to press 1.

The usefulness of an IVR has suddenly jumped up a couple of
notches if recent posts here are any indication.

At night I continue to whitelist and the phone continues to stay
quiet unless it is somebody I want to hear from.

Voip.ms has solved its server problems judging from the lack of
complaints, and the one I use has a short ping time, sounds good,
and there is no delay, and no down time that I have noticed.

It would be nice to have the enter 1 for confirmation, but they
say that will be here soon.

Lots to praise and nothing to complain about.

member for 1 year, 6 visits, last login: 45 days ago

Comments:

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

no PBX required

voip.ms definitely has a lot of useful features and that allow advanced functionality without having to worry about a PBX.

Here is how I use the time conditions and IVR features:

During the day, all calls are allowed to ring my phone (unless you are blacklisted). At night, however, all calls go to an IVR that prompts callers to press "1" if the call is urgent and the phone will ring.

Review by Rendering See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Everything is good with voip.ms"
Overall "Innovative and Reliable. They go from strength to strength"

Update 2014 07 19
Voip.ms continues to be an outstanding value. The sms service has been a great way to get a message simply and easily to friends and family.

The IVR and sub-accounts continue to provide amazing flexibility in handling calls. The time control is a compact, elegant way to filter incoming calls into whatever time slots are convenient for you.

It is hard to believe that anyone could live with pots or even with a simplistic call-handling voip company when a company like voip.ms is available.

I agree they dropped the ball on putting in cell phone confirmation, but that will come eventually, and is minor compared to what they already offer.

Update 2013 04 20
I haven't tried it yet, but the new sms should be useful to me. It is truly impressive how innovative and flexible voip.ms's service is: whether it is the ivr, or sub-accounts, or sms, they tend to stand out from the crowd.

And the basics, reliability and good sound, can be counted on as well.

Original Review
If you want to shut telemarketers and weirdos out of your phone; if you want to keep them from disturbing your tranquility and you want to do it with 100 percent certainty, and you want to do it with minimal effort, than voip.ms is the way to go.

If you want more call-handling features than you can shake a stick at, including IVR, DISA, callback, fine-grained failover, call-forwarding, etc. then voip.ms will do the job for you with a minimal learning curve.

So what do I mean with these jargon words?

whitelisting - you block everybody except:
1. people whose caller id you have whitelisted
2. people to whom you have given an 'extension' number and who enter the extension when prompted.

IVR - Lets you create a recording, a .wav file which you upload to the voip.ms server. You have it set to play when someone calls your number who is not whitelisted.

For example, it might say: Hello, please enter the extension to ring through; otherwise, enter 1 to leave a voicemail.

If you are going to whitelist, you need to have an IVR so the caller has a voice menu instructing him what to do.

DISA
You really need an IVR for this as well. When you call and get the IVR greeting, you enter an extension which asks you for a 'pin' number - a second extension. When you enter that, you are prompted to enter a phone number - call anywhere at voip prices.

It can be very handy if you use your cellphone a lot and want to save on cellphone charges.

CALLBACK
If you call from a number you have entered into the callback directory, you will hear a busy signal. You hang up, and a few seconds later your phone rings. When you pick up you hear a dial tone and can then dial out at voip prices.

FAILOVER
If you call a number and it is busy, or not in service, or otherwise not reachable, the failover will take you to voicemail, or forward your call to another number.

There are many other features of voip.ms that you will probably want to use.

They have had long-standing problems with the Toronto and Montreal servers but it looks like they are finally getting them fixed. I long ago switched to the Houston server and have never had a problem with it.

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Incredibly feature rich for low cost"
Bad "Website lacking documentation"
Overall "Great value if you don't mind getting your hands dirty during setup"

·Cogeco Cable
Update July 2014: Nearing 4 years with voip.ms. No reliability issues. My eBay purchased PAP2T seems to be the cause of some static on my line now, but voip.ms keeps chugging along. I estimate I've saved well over $1000 since ditching my Cogeco home phone. Thinking about picking up an OBI ATA, but not even considering dropping voip.ms. I only wish they supported fax for the odd time I do need it.

Update Feb 12, 2012: No changes since last update. Still very reliable and cheap! Looking forward to many more years with voip.ms

Update Jul 31, 2011: Another update. Haven't had even the slightest hiccup since my last update. Have converted 2 coworkers full time over, another planning to move over. Simply cannot beat the value! I have been using the montreal server for a number of months. Overall everage cost per month is under $7 (which includes the $1.50 E911 and $1.99 DID fees)

Update Apr 12, 2011: It's been nearly 5 months since my phone# was ported. Aside from a few hiccups in the early stages the service has been rock stable. I'm loving the call features and especially the savings!! Today a friend signed up and is super excited by everything. He's taking a work trip to the US and is looking forward to making SIP calls from his Galaxy S saving a bundle over using long distance.

Original review:

I signed up for voip.ms near the end of October 2010 shortly after receiving my PAP2T in the mail. Used the service for outgoing calls for testing and to play around with the ATA and voip.ms features.

On October 28th I submitted a request to port my number from Cogeco. Nov. 1 voip.ms set the port status to processing. It wasn't until Nov 25 that something finally happened - Cogeco disconnected my phone service. Unfortunately my port didn't seem to be complete, for 2 days I could not receive any phone calls. Thankfully once I contacted voip.ms support, they were very helpful in keeping me up to date on the progess of getting my number working. Although it was not their fault they refunded the $25 porting fee which I felt was generous.

So far there have been a few little hiccups in the service. I've switched between the montreal and toronto2 servers a couple times, but it seems toronto2 is the best.

Without Mango's fantastic documentation I doubt I would have come close to happy/confident enough to actually port my number »www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration, a must read for anybody with a PAP2T on voip service.

Overall I've been very impressed with voip.ms thus far and can see myself being with them for a long time. I've even got a few people at work family ready to jump ship in the next little while from their current providers based on the price and features of voip.ms alone. My porting experience is not something I speak badly of against voip.ms, frankly I'm happy I'm able to do it at all otherwise I probably wouldn't have switched at all!

member for 12.5 years, 3139 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by deafmonkey See Profile

Good "Best Provider For a cheap hearing impaired landline, lots of features, Just works."
Bad "not for the inexperienced"
Overall "Best alternative to Hearing impaired Bell/Rogers lines"

·TekSavvy DSL
I have been using this VoIP provider for about 11 days.

Thanks to the cheap rates, I now have a landline using the montreal.voip.ms server,
with zero problems, using Telco AC-211. ATA.

I have been using this provider on recommendation from a Friend. I am incredibly
happy with the service as I can use my Clarity Phone on it, I have yet to test
the Text Telephone via VoIP.ms - Though I'm certain it can work.

I highly recommend it to hearing impaired even with 80% bell-relay discount,
it still can't beat voip.ms rates - I don't see myself going back to POTS services
after my recent pleasant experience with VoIP.ms

UPDATES:
July 4 2014:
VoIP.ms continues to work super well for me and they are online 99.99% of the time pretty much for me that I continue to be very impressed with their services for the past year for 2 DID #'s currently in operation. $30 for me goes a long ways $50/year approximate at this time for my use.

Many thanks goes to the VoIP.ms team for their stellar work that I will keep this one around as a premium VoIP provider for the price/quality that just works fine with my current ATA setup. - I think the web interface could use a bit of work however for the stellar service I receive I cannot complain about the interface much.

Oct 1 2013
Support has been very helpful on a ticket I processed earlier so it
definitely works when I have made my ticket requests.

I will likely be keeping this VoIP provider around for awhile with some
of their cool features to keep telemarketing out.

Sept 26 2013

I have had less than 3 bad calls a month on the value plan, so the quality has been fantastic using the value plan, and now down to my last dollar on the Original $25 deposit. So it has been a great ride, and will definitely reload my VoIP.ms soon For 2 DID in operation.

-DM

member for 1.4 years, 282 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Motofreak See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Glad to see they relocated their servers, faster porting times & free (USA only)"
Bad "I have no issues for my needs, "
Overall "I give it now 8.5/10 and rising for the past few years."

06/06/2014
Since they moved to Steadfast their Chicago service are flawless, We mainly use them for a DID provider now and toll free and backup sip outbound.

Keep up the good work.

7/30/2012

They fixed all the issues I had with E911. I used the E911 a few more times in the past year, with out a hiccup

a few minor hiccups with servers dropping off once it a while. 7.5 to 8 out of 10

thanks

11/11/11 review

its been a few years using them. And I feel torn about this review

The pros:

* Cost, their prices around a good stand point. a true savings over companies like Rogers and Bell, even Vonage (if you don't talk a lot)
* Easy to order new numbers from a great selection of DIDs they truly have a great selection,
* Their porting department has improved by leaps and bounds
* Features , well I don't use most of them, but they have a ton of calling features!
* The amount of information on their website and wiki dwarfs the competition (maybe too much info? )

The Cons after two years

* E911 failures happened twice for me with two different DID's one for a gravely ill man and the NRC had the wrong address even though the address was correct in the VoIP.ms E911 section, it took a long time to get to the the correct PSAP, The second issue was a fire, and took over 4 minutes to get a PSAP dispatch to get the fire trucks rolling. This is caused by the CRTC mandate, again out of the hands of VoIP.ms but I have ZERO confidence in the E911 services/NRC that VoIP.ms uses. I know its not VoIP.ms that mess this up, but it's VoIP.ms that selected this company to offer to its customers, so really I feel VoIP.ms partly fault to blame to some degree for this. Because I know I am not the only one that has the address issue with this, I read another report on this forum of having the same address issues when he called 911. (ref's will be post when I find it)

* Tech support is mostly great, but a few times I have VoIP.ms personal not even bothering in actual reading the ticket to find out what I was asking, they just quickly reply to keywords in my ticket to the wiki or FAQ type answers, it was very frustrating when you have to ask the same question five times before someone actual answered me. And by that time I was so mad, I didn't even say thanks!

* The value routing is lacking, does not pass CLI so the callee doesn't know who is calling, I stopped sending outbound calling to VoIP.ms, because of grey routes/aka value routing, I found many other carriers that offer that pass CLI for the same price of the VoIP.ms value routing.

* Their Canadian toll-free routing is lacking in passing the correct ANI number of the callers phone number, making it extremely difficult in calling many Ontario and other Canadian Toll free numbers

So I guess you can read why I'm torn,

Comments:

Review by batfell See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Solid reliability, excellent sound, low price, and innovative features"
Overall "Solid reliability, excellent sound, low price, and innovative features"

2014 08 02
Not much to add. Voip.ms continues to be at or near the top in all respects, yet is also one of the cheapest. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

2013 05 31
Still nothing much to report; voip.ms just works, no muss, no fuss.

2012 12 27
Nothing much to report; voip.ms just works, no muss, no fuss.

2012 05 23
This excellent service continues to do its job. More features than you can shake a stick at; excellent sound; great reliability.

The sub-accounts feature is a gem: recently, I have made a few calls from wi-fi hotspots, using my Nokia 'smartphone' and a Voip.Ms sub-account. It was a pleasure to be able to call long-distance from a cell phone for 1.25 cents per minute instead of the cell phone rate of 40 cents per minute, and to talk for 30 minutes without worrying about the cost.

Comments:

Review by jacour See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Great service"
Bad "Porting is a pain"
Overall "Love this service"

I hate most telecomm carriers, HATE them, but this is an exception. They charge me a whopping $1 a month for each DID that I maintain, and a penny a minute for US calls. I got them mainly because I was looking for a lower cost to call overseas than what Vonage could provide, but I am so glad I went with VOIP.MS. They provide most of what you would get on a premise-based PBX system without charging much for it.

The wiki is fairly good, although I wish they would make it a little more visible on their web page as it would be easier to find answers if they did. Once in the wiki, most of what you need to know is presented there quite clearly.

The technical support chat is amazing; their technicians have actually been trained and know their stuff. I have yet to have a question that could not be answered promptly and correctly. It a huge contrast with the call center hell you find at Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile.

The only glitch I had was trying to port a DID away to a cellular carrier. The issue is that VOIP.MS is a reseller so THEY appear as the customer on Level 3's computer systems. If you give the cellular carrier your customer information, the port will never go through due to the mismatch. However, this was quickly resolved by the eve-useful tech support department (see above) who got me the exact information I needed to guarantee a successful port.