voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by aldo See Profile

Good "Lots to praise"
Bad "Nothing to complain about"
Overall "Lots to praise and nothing to complain about"

Update 2014-08-07
Voip.Ms continues to work flawlessly.

I have always liked voip.ms for it many features, especially the
IVR. But it wasn't until somebody casually mentioned, several months
ago, that he used the IVR as a challenge, saying something like:
Press 1 to ring the phone, that the penny dropped and I realized I
could stop whitelisting during the day, and that the telemarketer
robots would hang up when they hear the answering machine, while
human callers would know enough to press 1.

The usefulness of an IVR has suddenly jumped up a couple of
notches if recent posts here are any indication.

At night I continue to whitelist and the phone continues to stay
quiet unless it is somebody I want to hear from.

Voip.ms has solved its server problems judging from the lack of
complaints, and the one I use has a short ping time, sounds good,
and there is no delay, and no down time that I have noticed.

It would be nice to have the enter 1 for confirmation, but they
say that will be here soon.

Lots to praise and nothing to complain about.

Comments:

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

no PBX required

voip.ms definitely has a lot of useful features and that allow advanced functionality without having to worry about a PBX.

Here is how I use the time conditions and IVR features:

During the day, all calls are allowed to ring my phone (unless you are blacklisted). At night, however, all calls go to an IVR that prompts callers to press "1" if the call is urgent and the phone will ring.

Review by Rendering See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Everything is good with voip.ms"
Overall "Innovative and Reliable. They go from strength to strength"

Update 2014 07 19
Voip.ms continues to be an outstanding value. The sms service has been a great way to get a message simply and easily to friends and family.

The IVR and sub-accounts continue to provide amazing flexibility in handling calls. The time control is a compact, elegant way to filter incoming calls into whatever time slots are convenient for you.

It is hard to believe that anyone could live with pots or even with a simplistic call-handling voip company when a company like voip.ms is available.

I agree they dropped the ball on putting in cell phone confirmation, but that will come eventually, and is minor compared to what they already offer.

Update 2013 04 20
I haven't tried it yet, but the new sms should be useful to me. It is truly impressive how innovative and flexible voip.ms's service is: whether it is the ivr, or sub-accounts, or sms, they tend to stand out from the crowd.

And the basics, reliability and good sound, can be counted on as well.

Original Review
If you want to shut telemarketers and weirdos out of your phone; if you want to keep them from disturbing your tranquility and you want to do it with 100 percent certainty, and you want to do it with minimal effort, than voip.ms is the way to go.

If you want more call-handling features than you can shake a stick at, including IVR, DISA, callback, fine-grained failover, call-forwarding, etc. then voip.ms will do the job for you with a minimal learning curve.

So what do I mean with these jargon words?

whitelisting - you block everybody except:
1. people whose caller id you have whitelisted
2. people to whom you have given an 'extension' number and who enter the extension when prompted.

IVR - Lets you create a recording, a .wav file which you upload to the voip.ms server. You have it set to play when someone calls your number who is not whitelisted.

For example, it might say: Hello, please enter the extension to ring through; otherwise, enter 1 to leave a voicemail.

If you are going to whitelist, you need to have an IVR so the caller has a voice menu instructing him what to do.

DISA
You really need an IVR for this as well. When you call and get the IVR greeting, you enter an extension which asks you for a 'pin' number - a second extension. When you enter that, you are prompted to enter a phone number - call anywhere at voip prices.

It can be very handy if you use your cellphone a lot and want to save on cellphone charges.

CALLBACK
If you call from a number you have entered into the callback directory, you will hear a busy signal. You hang up, and a few seconds later your phone rings. When you pick up you hear a dial tone and can then dial out at voip prices.

FAILOVER
If you call a number and it is busy, or not in service, or otherwise not reachable, the failover will take you to voicemail, or forward your call to another number.

There are many other features of voip.ms that you will probably want to use.

They have had long-standing problems with the Toronto and Montreal servers but it looks like they are finally getting them fixed. I long ago switched to the Houston server and have never had a problem with it.

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Incredibly feature rich for low cost"
Bad "Website lacking documentation"
Overall "Great value if you don't mind getting your hands dirty during setup"

·Cogeco Cable
Update July 2014: Nearing 4 years with voip.ms. No reliability issues. My eBay purchased PAP2T seems to be the cause of some static on my line now, but voip.ms keeps chugging along. I estimate I've saved well over $1000 since ditching my Cogeco home phone. Thinking about picking up an OBI ATA, but not even considering dropping voip.ms. I only wish they supported fax for the odd time I do need it.

Update Feb 12, 2012: No changes since last update. Still very reliable and cheap! Looking forward to many more years with voip.ms

Update Jul 31, 2011: Another update. Haven't had even the slightest hiccup since my last update. Have converted 2 coworkers full time over, another planning to move over. Simply cannot beat the value! I have been using the montreal server for a number of months. Overall everage cost per month is under $7 (which includes the $1.50 E911 and $1.99 DID fees)

Update Apr 12, 2011: It's been nearly 5 months since my phone# was ported. Aside from a few hiccups in the early stages the service has been rock stable. I'm loving the call features and especially the savings!! Today a friend signed up and is super excited by everything. He's taking a work trip to the US and is looking forward to making SIP calls from his Galaxy S saving a bundle over using long distance.

Original review:

I signed up for voip.ms near the end of October 2010 shortly after receiving my PAP2T in the mail. Used the service for outgoing calls for testing and to play around with the ATA and voip.ms features.

On October 28th I submitted a request to port my number from Cogeco. Nov. 1 voip.ms set the port status to processing. It wasn't until Nov 25 that something finally happened - Cogeco disconnected my phone service. Unfortunately my port didn't seem to be complete, for 2 days I could not receive any phone calls. Thankfully once I contacted voip.ms support, they were very helpful in keeping me up to date on the progess of getting my number working. Although it was not their fault they refunded the $25 porting fee which I felt was generous.

So far there have been a few little hiccups in the service. I've switched between the montreal and toronto2 servers a couple times, but it seems toronto2 is the best.

Without Mango's fantastic documentation I doubt I would have come close to happy/confident enough to actually port my number »www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration, a must read for anybody with a PAP2T on voip service.

Overall I've been very impressed with voip.ms thus far and can see myself being with them for a long time. I've even got a few people at work family ready to jump ship in the next little while from their current providers based on the price and features of voip.ms alone. My porting experience is not something I speak badly of against voip.ms, frankly I'm happy I'm able to do it at all otherwise I probably wouldn't have switched at all!

member for 12.5 years, 3116 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by deafmonkey See Profile

Good "Best Provider For a cheap hearing impaired landline, lots of features, Just works."
Bad "not for the inexperienced"
Overall "Best alternative to Hearing impaired Bell/Rogers lines"

·TekSavvy DSL
I have been using this VoIP provider for about 11 days.

Thanks to the cheap rates, I now have a landline using the montreal.voip.ms server,
with zero problems, using Telco AC-211. ATA.

I have been using this provider on recommendation from a Friend. I am incredibly
happy with the service as I can use my Clarity Phone on it, I have yet to test
the Text Telephone via VoIP.ms - Though I'm certain it can work.

I highly recommend it to hearing impaired even with 80% bell-relay discount,
it still can't beat voip.ms rates - I don't see myself going back to POTS services
after my recent pleasant experience with VoIP.ms

UPDATES:
July 4 2014:
VoIP.ms continues to work super well for me and they are online 99.99% of the time pretty much for me that I continue to be very impressed with their services for the past year for 2 DID #'s currently in operation. $30 for me goes a long ways $50/year approximate at this time for my use.

Many thanks goes to the VoIP.ms team for their stellar work that I will keep this one around as a premium VoIP provider for the price/quality that just works fine with my current ATA setup. - I think the web interface could use a bit of work however for the stellar service I receive I cannot complain about the interface much.

Oct 1 2013
Support has been very helpful on a ticket I processed earlier so it
definitely works when I have made my ticket requests.

I will likely be keeping this VoIP provider around for awhile with some
of their cool features to keep telemarketing out.

Sept 26 2013

I have had less than 3 bad calls a month on the value plan, so the quality has been fantastic using the value plan, and now down to my last dollar on the Original $25 deposit. So it has been a great ride, and will definitely reload my VoIP.ms soon For 2 DID in operation.

-DM

Comments:

Review by Motofreak See Profile

• Location: Oshawa,ON
Good "Glad to see they relocated their servers, faster porting times & free (USA only)"
Bad "I have no issues for my needs, "
Overall "I give it now 8.5/10 and rising for the past few years."

06/06/2014
Since they moved to Steadfast their Chicago service are flawless, We mainly use them for a DID provider now and toll free and backup sip outbound.

Keep up the good work.

7/30/2012

They fixed all the issues I had with E911. I used the E911 a few more times in the past year, with out a hiccup

a few minor hiccups with servers dropping off once it a while. 7.5 to 8 out of 10

thanks

11/11/11 review

its been a few years using them. And I feel torn about this review

The pros:

* Cost, their prices around a good stand point. a true savings over companies like Rogers and Bell, even Vonage (if you don't talk a lot)
* Easy to order new numbers from a great selection of DIDs they truly have a great selection,
* Their porting department has improved by leaps and bounds
* Features , well I don't use most of them, but they have a ton of calling features!
* The amount of information on their website and wiki dwarfs the competition (maybe too much info? )

The Cons after two years

* E911 failures happened twice for me with two different DID's one for a gravely ill man and the NRC had the wrong address even though the address was correct in the VoIP.ms E911 section, it took a long time to get to the the correct PSAP, The second issue was a fire, and took over 4 minutes to get a PSAP dispatch to get the fire trucks rolling. This is caused by the CRTC mandate, again out of the hands of VoIP.ms but I have ZERO confidence in the E911 services/NRC that VoIP.ms uses. I know its not VoIP.ms that mess this up, but it's VoIP.ms that selected this company to offer to its customers, so really I feel VoIP.ms partly fault to blame to some degree for this. Because I know I am not the only one that has the address issue with this, I read another report on this forum of having the same address issues when he called 911. (ref's will be post when I find it)

* Tech support is mostly great, but a few times I have VoIP.ms personal not even bothering in actual reading the ticket to find out what I was asking, they just quickly reply to keywords in my ticket to the wiki or FAQ type answers, it was very frustrating when you have to ask the same question five times before someone actual answered me. And by that time I was so mad, I didn't even say thanks!

* The value routing is lacking, does not pass CLI so the callee doesn't know who is calling, I stopped sending outbound calling to VoIP.ms, because of grey routes/aka value routing, I found many other carriers that offer that pass CLI for the same price of the VoIP.ms value routing.

* Their Canadian toll-free routing is lacking in passing the correct ANI number of the callers phone number, making it extremely difficult in calling many Ontario and other Canadian Toll free numbers

So I guess you can read why I'm torn,

Comments:

Review by batfell See Profile

• Location: Ann Arbor,Washtenaw,MI
Good "Solid reliability, excellent sound, low price, and innovative features"
Overall "Solid reliability, excellent sound, low price, and innovative features"

2014 08 02
Not much to add. Voip.ms continues to be at or near the top in all respects, yet is also one of the cheapest. I don't know how they do it, but they do.

2013 05 31
Still nothing much to report; voip.ms just works, no muss, no fuss.

2012 12 27
Nothing much to report; voip.ms just works, no muss, no fuss.

2012 05 23
This excellent service continues to do its job. More features than you can shake a stick at; excellent sound; great reliability.

The sub-accounts feature is a gem: recently, I have made a few calls from wi-fi hotspots, using my Nokia 'smartphone' and a Voip.Ms sub-account. It was a pleasure to be able to call long-distance from a cell phone for 1.25 cents per minute instead of the cell phone rate of 40 cents per minute, and to talk for 30 minutes without worrying about the cost.

Comments:

Review by jacour See Profile

• Location: Matthews,Mecklenburg,NC
Good "Great service"
Bad "Porting is a pain"
Overall "Love this service"

I hate most telecomm carriers, HATE them, but this is an exception. They charge me a whopping $1 a month for each DID that I maintain, and a penny a minute for US calls. I got them mainly because I was looking for a lower cost to call overseas than what Vonage could provide, but I am so glad I went with VOIP.MS. They provide most of what you would get on a premise-based PBX system without charging much for it.

The wiki is fairly good, although I wish they would make it a little more visible on their web page as it would be easier to find answers if they did. Once in the wiki, most of what you need to know is presented there quite clearly.

The technical support chat is amazing; their technicians have actually been trained and know their stuff. I have yet to have a question that could not be answered promptly and correctly. It a huge contrast with the call center hell you find at Sprint, AT&T, or T-Mobile.

The only glitch I had was trying to port a DID away to a cellular carrier. The issue is that VOIP.MS is a reseller so THEY appear as the customer on Level 3's computer systems. If you give the cellular carrier your customer information, the port will never go through due to the mismatch. However, this was quickly resolved by the eve-useful tech support department (see above) who got me the exact information I needed to guarantee a successful port.

Comments:

Review by wxmancanada See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Dirt cheap, easy to setup, amazing features, works great"
Bad "Prices in USD, no option to use web to control VM greetings, no custom hold music"
Overall "The best VOIP I've used so far"

I've used DSL reports to read reviews a plenty, but never felt compelled to write a review, until now.

I've started a new at home business and needed a reliable and cheap business line. Hard to find. I have used services like Toktumi (now Line 2) in the past, but there was always a large price tag associated with it, and not all the features I wanted. I tried several VOIP providers back in 2008 and was left with a sour taste in my mouth from it, but after reading some reviews on here about Voip.ms (and having a family member who has had great success with them) I thought I should give it a shot.

I signed up for an account, loaded $25 (minimum payment amount) into it, paid for a local phone number, and started going nuts setting things up.

The IVR was a breeze to setup, I recorded some voice prompts via my phone's WAV recorder and uploaded them to the website where I then built the IVR, call groups, time conditions, and hold cues. The only thing I couldn't change via the website was the greeting for each of the voicemail boxes, but some Googling revealed that if I submit a support ticket, they can assign a recording to the VM greeting. Done and done.

I'd also like to see custom hold music, but I've read that's got some complications to it. Hopefully someday, as I actually own the rights to music I want to use on hold.

All in all, from setting up the account to making and receiving my first call I probably spent about 15 minutes. My primary SIP account runs a Cisco 7940, I then have a sub account which is configured in the SIP dialer for Android. I plan on adding a few more Cisco phones for other locations. I also have two cell phones as part of a call group.

I started calling everyone I know to test the line out. They say I sound great, much clearer than on the cell phone. There is very, very little delay as well (echo test verifies this for me). Even when I took the Cisco phone to rural cottage country this past weekend and used it via a rural WiFi network.

Tech support is amazing, usually replying to my tickets within 30 minutes. I had to submit a ticket to have the voicemail greetings changed, as well as asking for help with a call forwarding option.

Worth every penny. I've had zero issues so far (going on a month). That being said, it would be nice if it was Canadian pennies!

Fair warning: reviewer joined this month

Comments:

Review by wideglide36 See Profile

• Location: Altoona,Blair,PA
Good "Everything seems to work as advertised"
Bad "I'd be nitpicking, but their website could use some tweaking"
Overall "So far, so good."

·Future Nine Corp..
We've been using Voip.ms for almost a year now and I thought I would write a quick review.

We currently have one DID and are in the process of porting another. This will be our second port and so far it's going as smoothly as the first one.

As you can see by our monthly costs, we're not heavy users in any sense of the word.

But when we do use the service, it works great. We really haven't had any problems at all.

Customer support was excellent when I had a few questions. They really went the extra mile and we were really impressed. Support was fast, accurate and very effective.

We definitely don't use all of the features they offer so I really can't speak to those.

All in all, we're really pleased with what we get for what we pay.

Now if they could only get their web site looking half as good as Callcentric's and they would be perfect in my mind.

Hope this review was properly written. I know other critical reviews of certain providers were not well received by this forum.

Hopefully mine will be..........

Update: August 8, 2014

Well, it's been a while since I updated, so here goes.

We use Voip.ms for our main service and it has been outstanding as far as I'm concerned.

We now have quite a few DID's and I'm constantly learning how to route them.

I also created a few sub accounts and they also work perfectly.

It's a blast figuring out all these features they offer so I'm constantly learning .

If they could just update the site they would be perfect.

I've tried a few other providers in recent months but always come back to Voip.ms.

Did I mention they still offer free porting.........

member for 10.7 years, 811 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom

Well-done!

Well-written, fair and objective. Good post!!

(Excellent syntax, sentence structure and spelling not to mention proper use of punctuation.)
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Thanks

N9MD,

Thank you for those kind words.

I try to be objective as possible when reviewing anything, and very rarely give 10 out of 10 scores or as in this case, 100% scores.

I didn't want to give all 100% scores as I felt that it wouldn't be accurate, but by the same token, I didn't want to grade any area too low for fear that it would cause the entire review to look negative. I really was nitpicking about their web site. Their web site is pretty easy to navigate and I can usually find what I need.

I just think it could be jazzed up a bit. It's sort of drab in a way.

Reviews are usually a balancing act anyways, but in my review of Voip.ms it really was pretty easy to score things.

Voip.ms has been great so far for our family and this review was fairly easy to write.

I'll write a review of Callcentric at a later time......

Review by NefCanuck See Profile

• Location: Mississauga,ON
Good "Low cost, excellent tech support"
Bad "Website confusing, no mobile friendly option"
Overall "A good alternative to POTS"

Writing this review at roughly the two month mark of using VoIP.ms.

After finally cringing while opening my monthly Bell POTS bill (Last full bill was $52) I chose to explore the world of VoIP service.

I selected VoIP.ms as my provider for a number of reasons, chief among them was the fact that it is a Canadian company and I could use my own ATA device (In my case a Bria softphone on an iPhone 4) The port of my Bell # to VoIP.me was fast and without hassle.

ViOP.ms has servers spread throughout Canada and the US (with a European server location as well) which appealed to me both for redundancy and for when I travel in North America (their website, though initially overwhelming, does make it easy to switch servers as needed)

The VoIP.ms website initially looks very confusing and although they do provide a wiki to explain it, I did have to make use of the tech support to help me understand how the voicemail system worked (the tech was excellent by the way, professional and prompt)

I went with the unlimited incoming and premium routing option because I wanted to be as sure as I could be that I could both get Caller ID on incoming and show proper Caller ID on outgoing calls and that I had a handle on the monthly costs (I make very few outgoing calls while at home)

The ability to filter and deal with incoming calls has been a godsend and I can honestly say that it brings a joy to my heart to send telemarketing spammers straight to voicemail without even being annoyed by the phone ringing once.

Forwarding calls to my cell phone on the weekend while I'm away from home works as expected as well.

Call quality on my 5mb/800kb home connection is usually perfect, mobile VoIP use is hit or miss though (blame my cell provider Telus for that)

If there are any suggestions I could make, a mobile device friendly version of the website would be a top suggestion, it would make it much easier to make changes while on the road if a server goes down etc.

UPDATE: August 8/14

It's been a long time so I figured I'd post an update, some equipment changes on this end (Including adding Zoiper software so I can make calls from my PC as well) and a faster DSL Internet connection (first 25/7 and now 25/10 as provided by Bell Canada)

Service has been for the most part steady, while there have been glitches but VOIP.ms has been good about emailing customers when issues arise (this is an opt in service, I would recommend it)

The website is still not my favorite part of the service, but since I use it so rarely (last time I used the website to make any serious changes was in 2013 to change my POP while I was vacationing in Japan) and still doesn't have a general release mobile friendly website (There is I believe a beta mobile site, but I've never used it)

I also do teleconference calls from home for work and there have been no complaints about the call quality from my end that weren't as a a result of the audio mixer hardware I have attached to my PC.

member for 7.1 years, 2178 visits, last login: a few hours ago