voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by srinigar See Profile

• Location: Hoboken,Hudson,NJ
Good "Nothing But The Best"
Overall "Nothing But The Best"

Updated October 4 2014
They have added call confirm so that I can answer with my cellphone when the home number is dialed. The SMS is very handy. I cannot remember when I have had a problem with the service. Voip.ms has it all and at a cheap price.

Updated April 20 2014
Reviewing these guys is boring: the service just works, and handles calls in any way short of having a PBX that I can ask for.

+=+=+=
I am a long-time, 3 years+ user of voip.ms. I do not use it heavily, but over
a long period of time I can hardly remember a call that did not
work, or that sounded under par.

It has been used with basic sipura/linksys ATAs and a medium-speed
dsl line.

What makes it stand out for me is the extremely 'fine-grained'
call-flow handling and the ease with which it can be manipulated.

For example, I can have a given caller-id routed to one destination
at certain hours of the day and/or certain days of the week, and to
another destination at other times.

Some calls ring through immediately - relatives, friends - while
others get a greeting and an invitation to enter an extension to
ring through, failing which they go to voicemail.

You can cause a given extension to get a dial tone, and then dial
out anywhere at voip prices.

There are a lot of possibilities, and even somebody like me, using
it as a home phone only, can find uses for many of them.

Basically, for me it means no more telemarketers or cranks. I hear
only from people I want to hear from, when I want to hear from
them.

The price for this? 1 cent/minute to call out to the US using a Premium route, less
than 2 cents/minute to call most European countries.

See »voip.ms/rates.php for a list of rates.

There is a large selection of DIDs (telephone numbers) for almost
everywhere in the US - see »voip.ms/dids.php for US
numbers.

They really give a lot of value for the money.

If voip.ms were feeling pinched for cash, I do not think they
would lose existing customers or turn away prospective customers,
if they raised their prices a bit.

Comments:

cb14

join:2013-02-04

Netherlands /KPN mobile $ 0.221
Belgium/ BASE mobile $ 0.245
Germany/E plus $ 0.15-0.18
Czech republic/mobile $0.199

Actually, you will have hard time to find providers which are MORE expensive than the rates above.
Land lines are better, but still nothing to write home about .
VOIP.ms may have it's charms, international calling is definitely NOT a part of it.

Review by Maxx2006 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,ON
Good "Extremely easy setup, good quality."
Overall "Great Product"

·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy TekTalk
I set this up as a secondary line on a cisco ata 122. I added $ 25.00 to the account and ordered a DID using premium routing for Canada. Was up and running in under 1 hour.

Spoke to tech support on voice mail and call display setup via live chat. Extremely helpfully tech support.

I will be back to update my review in a couple of months.

Edited: Cost probably $ 2 - 3 / month, not the $ 1 / month i inserted originally.

Comments:
OzarkEdge

join:2014-02-23
USA

Reviewed cost

DID costs $0.99/month plus $0.50 setup fee. e911 costs $1.50/month. PAYGo US/CN Premium costs $0.01/min. Minimum deposit costs $25.

VoIP.ms can only cost $1/month if you don't use it for 212.5 years.

OE

Maxx2006

join:2013-02-02
Cambridge, ON

Re: Reviewed cost

I do not require E911 as this is a secondary line at this moment to meet some requirements. I have edited my costs to between $2 - $ 3 / month.
grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
said by OzarkEdge:

VoIP.ms can only cost $1/month if you don't use it for 212.5 years.

Huh?

Review by DoctorStinky See Profile

• Location: Brunswick,Cumberland,ME
Good "Good Call Quality, Decent Uptime"
Bad "Weekend Support Could be Better"
Overall "Reasonably Stable"

Update 10/12/2014:

Call Confirmation is finally available, and it appears FAX is on the horizon. I'm mostly happy with the service's reliability since their upgrade to new severs. On the downside, I've experienced occasional loss of registration with no apparent connectivity issues, and call quality does not seem to be as good as it was a couple of years ago with digital artifacts and occasional dropouts. Overall, though, I'm happy with the service and definitely feel I'm getting value for money spent.

Update 7/16/2014:

The feature I've been pining for since 2010 is still not implemented, after multiple commitments from a senior officer that it would be available "real soon now." The back end functionality to support it has been available since early 2013, yet they still haven't delivered. I think it's time to reevaluate the competition.

Reliability downgraded: Call confirmation is necessary to reliably receive inbound calls when a cell phone is part of the ring group. Because it's not available, my reliability has suffered.
Tech support downgraded: Multiple commitments from the company to support this functionality "real soon" have not been met.
Value for money downgraded: The competition is looking better and better. Both Callcentric and Anveo have figured out how to do what I need and have been offering it for years.

Update 1/21/2013:

While I still haven't seen the features I need implemented, I do feel the need to upgrade my reliability rating. While other VoIP providers have had catastrophic outages, VoIP.ms' service has remained essentially uninterrupted for me.

As I write this, a multi-site upgrade is underway and I'm hopeful this will provide the platform required to support answer confirmation soon.

Update 5/25/2012:

More than 3 months after my last update, VoIP.ms has still failed to implement Multi-Ring Answer Confirmation, FAX Support, and SMS . . . these were the highest-priority features as claimed by their management in January of this year. If you're looking for inexpensive calling and an unexceptional feature set, this is the place.

Update 2/13/2012:

I've grown impatient with VoIP.ms' release of new features. Due to the spotty cell phone coverage in my area, it is impossible to implement a call-forward as part of a ring group; when out of cell range, calls go immediately to Verizon Wireless voice mail. This makes it impossible to pick up the call from one of my home phones until I deselect the call-forward from the ring group. The promised "Multi-Ring Answer Confirmation" feature would eliminate this issue, but the projected release date of October 2011 has come and gone with no comment from the company.

FAX is nearly unusable; most of my faxing is to company headquarters, through an 8xx number. The free routing used for 8xx call completion does not support the line quality needed for reliable faxing, and no support is offered for codecs that enable robust fax capability.

Since my original review, I've experienced two outages (more than 15 minutes in duration) during peak calling hours, and I've seen multiple call completion failures. While I'm hopeful that these are simply "growing pains," I'm dismayed by the lack of progress on innovative (and in some cases fundamental) features.

Original review follows:

My configuration consists of 2 DIDs, with 4 sub-accounts handling 2 Linksys PAP2Ts at two separate locations. I've configured Line 1 on each PAP2T as the Ring Group to which calls for one of the DIDs is routed, and Line 2 on each for the Ring Group for the 2nd DID. This is the capability that sold me on VoIP.ms; I have primary and secondary residences, and I wished to receive calls at both without having to reconfigure anything. That was something I could *not* do with Vonage, at least without spending a whole lot of money on a monthly basis.

I've had only one significant issue since joining, and that was with an outage that affected the New York server. It was fairly short in duration, though (less than 30 minutes), and was more a frustration than having any significant personal or business impact.

My "Bad" comment regarding weekend support is related to the fact that there's no one around to support porting issues on the weekend. Vonage dropped my first DID on a Friday (requiring VoIP.ms to scramble to get it added to my account), then dropped the second one on Saturday. VoIP.ms was unable to address the issue until Monday when the office was staffed again, and unfortunately it was the DID that I receive most personal/family calls. Vonage is not without blame in this, though; no FOC date was provided so everyone was caught off-guard.

I've since recommended VoIP.ms to a number of friends and co-workers. I'm very pleased with the service.

member for 2.9 years, 1070 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Out of curiosity...

Out of curiosity, which VoIP providers would you consider to have a feature set better than VoIP.ms? That is, with all of their features, plus full support of SMS and fax?
DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

Re: Out of curiosity...

Both CallCentric and Anveo offer hunt groups with Answer Confirmation, as well as inbound and outbound FAX. Anveo offers SMS (CallCentric does not).

VoIP.ms has been promising FAX and Answer Confirmation for close to a year now, with constant commitments that these features would be coming "soon."

As far as the rest of the features are concerned . . . the ones that are important to me are offered by all three vendors and many more. My initial attraction to VoIP.ms was its support for Ring Groups, as I have both a home and vacation property that I split my time between. However, adding a cell phone to such a ring group without call confirmation significantly impairs that functionality.

The one fundamental advantage that VoIP.ms has is in toll-free/8xx outbound calling . . . it's free and is the most significant reason I have not switched to another service.

lhkm

@telus.net

cell voicemail doesn't work with a ring group

I now have my cell phone as part of a ring group. You need to disable the voicemail on your cellphone in order to make it work. I have let everyone important to me know to just call my voip.ms DID all the time (easy for them) and then it will failover to voip.ms' voicemail if there is no answer. I much prefer voip.ms' voicemail to my cellphone one, plus there's only one to check.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
join:2008-07-21

Answer Confirmation

Just to confirm that indeed, the new updates being deployed will allow us to offer answer confirmation.

As a matter of fact, the very first two important features we'll release after all servers have been updated, is centralised voicemail and answer confirmation.
Martin - VoiP.ms
DoctorStinky

join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

Re: Answer Confirmation

I very much look forward to updating my review when that happens, Martin.

Thank you.

Review by bblesse See Profile

• Location: USA
Good "A very good combination of reliability, features and low price"
Overall "A very good combination of reliability, features and low price"

·Callcentric
The answer confirm option finally makes it practical to use, with Voip.Ms, a cellphone as an extension of your home phone. I can now give out one number, my Voip.Ms DID, and receive calls on my cell as well as the home phone.

In addition to being one of the most feature-laden residential voip providers, Voip.Ms has good sound and high reliability, yet its prices are lower than most: the cost of calls to most of North America is $0.01 (one cent) per minute, in six-second increments; the cost of a DID for most users is $0.99 per month and setup is $0.50 (50 cents).

It is easy for a voip newcomer to set it up as a basic service, and once you get a feel for what can be done with it, it is easy to use the IVR, telemarketer block, ring groups, time conditions, etc. to tailor your service exactly to your needs.

I have tried a lot of voip providers and have noticed how mediocre, compared with a landline, the cheaper services have been. Maybe that has improved in recent years, but I can say that with Voip.Ms, I never have dropped calls, almost never any echo, no extraneous noises on the line; their 1 cent per minute rate for outgoing calls uses only premium routes, and it shows.

Voip.Ms is a very good combination of reliability, features and low price.

Comments:

Review by scottb8888 See Profile

• Location: Dublin,Franklin,OH
Good "Great service, quick turn up, not real expensive"

I have SIP trunks into my home PBX with multiple DID numbers from Voip.ms. Things are working great. I have severe; sip phones that I take on vacation. I have 8xx service as well as local service.

member for 13.6 years, 2833 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by LineNoise See Profile

• Location: Downers Grove,Du Page,IL
Good "Cheap, Reliable, Best support I've come across"

I am blown away by voip.ms. They're customer support is shockingly good. I've had their service for 9 months now and while we don't regularly use our house phone we've never had an issue when going to use it. Today I tried calling a toll-free number and I received a message that it could not be reached from my calling area. I chatted with support and it was resolved in less than 60 seconds, that's getting to a rep, explaining my problem and having them fix it ALL IN LESS THAN 60 SECONDS. There's been a few times I've been confused about something and chatted with them and they've always taken the time to explain in detail. voip.ms is probably the only company I don't hesitate contacting support because I usually already know more than the support person and spend so much time trying to explain the issue.

member for 8.3 years, 1222 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Voip.ms support

I totally agree.

I have contacted support on at least a dozen occasions in my two years as a customer and they have always had the answers I needed.

I can say for a fact, at least in my case, they actually go above and beyond what some other providers do.

Did I mention that they respond quickly?

I'm sure there will be folks who hate their support and think that it's just terrible, but I'm definitely in the other camp.

Just my thoughts......

Review by Cogeco User See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Reliability and Quality of Service"
Overall "Fully Satisfied"

I used to be a great fan of our Bell Canada legacy phone service because it is very robust, has great voice quality, and works through power outages. I had 2 lines before, home and home office. But since moving to a different neighbourhood 4 years ago, we experience periods of static and hum during the spring and heavy rains that Bell cannot resolve. It seems that their copper cable plant is no longer getting the maintenance it needs before it is eventually replaced with fibre. Walking around my neighbourhood, I see several damaged cable pedestals with missing covers and exposed wires that do not get fixed anymore. The other problem with legacy service is the lack of decent analog business phones – you can still get old Nortel Meridian and Aastra sets that work well, but they are no longer attractive devices because of their poor displays and limited functionality when not connected to a PBX. The Chinese-made analog phones (ATT, RCA) you can get at Staples are not good enough for business use, in my opinion.

I tried a couple of VOIP services (Vonage – poor call quality and expensive, no user-defined outgoing caller ID), (YAK – terrible support, almost zero documentation, no user-defined outgoing caller ID). When I ordered a DID on VOIP.MS I was able to establish dial tone right away, using the ATA left over from YAK and the WIKI instructions for this device. After 6 weeks of using it for home office calls on a trial basis, I ported my office line to VOIP.MS and haven’t looked back. I use my line about 40 hours per month, burning up one US$25 prepayment (including 3 DID’s) per month, so I spend a LOT of time on this service.

I use a Yealink T22P phone set which I got for $87 online and gives me the functionality and display I used to have on my Cisco VOIP phone at the office. I did spend several few hours exploring all the functionality of this phone and all the features available from VOIP.MS, to optimize everything for my needs – this is not a task for your grandma! I use a Plantronics wired headset/amplifier combo with this set that plugs into the dedicated headset jack of this phone.

Now we have the best of both worlds – a Bell line for personal calls and a VOIP line for my office work, giving us diversity if one line has a problem. But in fact I have had no outages on my VOIP line except when our power was off for a few hours and the UPS for the cable modem, router, and VOIP phone completely discharged.

I had one dropped call which was explained when VOIP issued a server reset alert. I have had other dropped calls for unknown reasons – cable provider or VOIP? But they have been few and far between, were not persistent, and could be resolved quickly by redialling. On rare occasions, I notice a very slight latency which I assume has more to do with my internet access than VOIP.MS. (I typically have a 9 to 11 ms Ping to the Toronto server.) I have not tried to set up VOIP QOS on my router since I do not understand how this works and don’t know if it is even useful.

Financially, even with a usage of 2,300 minutes per month I am better off. With my Bell reseller I was spending $40 for a line with Call Display, Voicemail, and a 500-minute Canada-wide LD package. With VOIP.MS I usually spend $27.50, factoring in the US exchange at 10%. But when I am away on vacation for a month, I only spend $3 for my 3 DID’s.

I get the very best audio quality sending and receiving, and better than my landline, when I use my Plantronics Bluetooth headset with my Ipad. I terminate one of my DID’s on my IPAD for traveling using the Bria client, and I was even able to call my bank over a slow hotel internet connection from Indonesia. There was severe latency, but it worked.

The only negative I find is in getting a cordless VOIP phone, since I would have to use an ATA with an analog cordless system. There is a Yealink VOIP cordless base station but that is extremely expensive when you start adding handsets.

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Outland

Very useful review.

Thank you for your detailed and very informative review of Voip.MS.

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

cordless IP phones

You do not have to use an ATA if you want a cordless IP phone. Take a look at either the Gigaset C601A IP or the Panasonic KX-TGP500 SIP DECT Phone System.

Both of these phones handle a number of SIP accounts natively.

Review by aldo See Profile

Good "Lots to praise"
Bad "Nothing to complain about"
Overall "Lots to praise and nothing to complain about"

Update 2014-08-07
Voip.Ms continues to work flawlessly.

I have always liked voip.ms for it many features, especially the
IVR. But it wasn't until somebody casually mentioned, several months
ago, that he used the IVR as a challenge, saying something like:
Press 1 to ring the phone, that the penny dropped and I realized I
could stop whitelisting during the day, and that the telemarketer
robots would hang up when they hear the answering machine, while
human callers would know enough to press 1.

The usefulness of an IVR has suddenly jumped up a couple of
notches if recent posts here are any indication.

At night I continue to whitelist and the phone continues to stay
quiet unless it is somebody I want to hear from.

Voip.ms has solved its server problems judging from the lack of
complaints, and the one I use has a short ping time, sounds good,
and there is no delay, and no down time that I have noticed.

It would be nice to have the enter 1 for confirmation, but they
say that will be here soon.

Lots to praise and nothing to complain about.

Comments:

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

no PBX required

voip.ms definitely has a lot of useful features and that allow advanced functionality without having to worry about a PBX.

Here is how I use the time conditions and IVR features:

During the day, all calls are allowed to ring my phone (unless you are blacklisted). At night, however, all calls go to an IVR that prompts callers to press "1" if the call is urgent and the phone will ring.

Review by Rendering See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Everything is good with voip.ms"
Overall "Innovative and Reliable. They go from strength to strength"

Update 2014 07 19
Voip.ms continues to be an outstanding value. The sms service has been a great way to get a message simply and easily to friends and family.

The IVR and sub-accounts continue to provide amazing flexibility in handling calls. The time control is a compact, elegant way to filter incoming calls into whatever time slots are convenient for you.

It is hard to believe that anyone could live with pots or even with a simplistic call-handling voip company when a company like voip.ms is available.

I agree they dropped the ball on putting in cell phone confirmation, but that will come eventually, and is minor compared to what they already offer.

Update 2013 04 20
I haven't tried it yet, but the new sms should be useful to me. It is truly impressive how innovative and flexible voip.ms's service is: whether it is the ivr, or sub-accounts, or sms, they tend to stand out from the crowd.

And the basics, reliability and good sound, can be counted on as well.

Original Review
If you want to shut telemarketers and weirdos out of your phone; if you want to keep them from disturbing your tranquility and you want to do it with 100 percent certainty, and you want to do it with minimal effort, than voip.ms is the way to go.

If you want more call-handling features than you can shake a stick at, including IVR, DISA, callback, fine-grained failover, call-forwarding, etc. then voip.ms will do the job for you with a minimal learning curve.

So what do I mean with these jargon words?

whitelisting - you block everybody except:
1. people whose caller id you have whitelisted
2. people to whom you have given an 'extension' number and who enter the extension when prompted.

IVR - Lets you create a recording, a .wav file which you upload to the voip.ms server. You have it set to play when someone calls your number who is not whitelisted.

For example, it might say: Hello, please enter the extension to ring through; otherwise, enter 1 to leave a voicemail.

If you are going to whitelist, you need to have an IVR so the caller has a voice menu instructing him what to do.

DISA
You really need an IVR for this as well. When you call and get the IVR greeting, you enter an extension which asks you for a 'pin' number - a second extension. When you enter that, you are prompted to enter a phone number - call anywhere at voip prices.

It can be very handy if you use your cellphone a lot and want to save on cellphone charges.

CALLBACK
If you call from a number you have entered into the callback directory, you will hear a busy signal. You hang up, and a few seconds later your phone rings. When you pick up you hear a dial tone and can then dial out at voip prices.

FAILOVER
If you call a number and it is busy, or not in service, or otherwise not reachable, the failover will take you to voicemail, or forward your call to another number.

There are many other features of voip.ms that you will probably want to use.

They have had long-standing problems with the Toronto and Montreal servers but it looks like they are finally getting them fixed. I long ago switched to the Houston server and have never had a problem with it.

Comments:

Review by teddy See Profile

• Location: Kingston,ON
Good "Incredibly feature rich for low cost"
Bad "Website lacking documentation"
Overall "Great value if you don't mind getting your hands dirty during setup"

·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
Update July 2014: Nearing 4 years with voip.ms. No reliability issues. My eBay purchased PAP2T seems to be the cause of some static on my line now, but voip.ms keeps chugging along. I estimate I've saved well over $1000 since ditching my Cogeco home phone. Thinking about picking up an OBI ATA, but not even considering dropping voip.ms. I only wish they supported fax for the odd time I do need it.

Update Feb 12, 2012: No changes since last update. Still very reliable and cheap! Looking forward to many more years with voip.ms

Update Jul 31, 2011: Another update. Haven't had even the slightest hiccup since my last update. Have converted 2 coworkers full time over, another planning to move over. Simply cannot beat the value! I have been using the montreal server for a number of months. Overall everage cost per month is under $7 (which includes the $1.50 E911 and $1.99 DID fees)

Update Apr 12, 2011: It's been nearly 5 months since my phone# was ported. Aside from a few hiccups in the early stages the service has been rock stable. I'm loving the call features and especially the savings!! Today a friend signed up and is super excited by everything. He's taking a work trip to the US and is looking forward to making SIP calls from his Galaxy S saving a bundle over using long distance.

Original review:

I signed up for voip.ms near the end of October 2010 shortly after receiving my PAP2T in the mail. Used the service for outgoing calls for testing and to play around with the ATA and voip.ms features.

On October 28th I submitted a request to port my number from Cogeco. Nov. 1 voip.ms set the port status to processing. It wasn't until Nov 25 that something finally happened - Cogeco disconnected my phone service. Unfortunately my port didn't seem to be complete, for 2 days I could not receive any phone calls. Thankfully once I contacted voip.ms support, they were very helpful in keeping me up to date on the progess of getting my number working. Although it was not their fault they refunded the $25 porting fee which I felt was generous.

So far there have been a few little hiccups in the service. I've switched between the montreal and toronto2 servers a couple times, but it seems toronto2 is the best.

Without Mango's fantastic documentation I doubt I would have come close to happy/confident enough to actually port my number »www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration, a must read for anybody with a PAP2T on voip service.

Overall I've been very impressed with voip.ms thus far and can see myself being with them for a long time. I've even got a few people at work family ready to jump ship in the next little while from their current providers based on the price and features of voip.ms alone. My porting experience is not something I speak badly of against voip.ms, frankly I'm happy I'm able to do it at all otherwise I probably wouldn't have switched at all!

member for 12.6 years, 3161 visits, last login: a few hours ago