voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by FastAtLast See Profile

• Location: SW Florida
Good "Call Quality, Flexibility, & Value"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "Great!"

I have been using VOIP on my main household telephone line for over 8-years and switched to Voip.ms in Nov. 2010.

Because of my background in electronics, I have always preferred services and applications that allow personal configuration of operating parameters. Voip.ms does this and more!

Although I am not using all the possible features available; what I do use works very well. My PAP2T is configured with two subacccounts and being able to simultaneously utilize two lines has been great, Other subaccounts are used on laptop softphones and has allowed me to communicate (as if I were at home) from both domestic and foreign locations.

Voip.ms is a first-rate VOIP provider when factoring-in call quality, flexibility, & value.

************************

Update Nov. 11, 2012:

Wow, times flies! I have been using VOIP.ms for two years and it's better than ever.

I have been using Premium routing and the call quality has been excellent. The small cost premium over Value routing is worth the piece of mind that I am getting the best quality. Although the free 800 calling uses value routing, the quality is as good or better than other calls.

I'm also paying for CID lookup, but after populating the Phone Book with frequent callers, the cost is minimal.

The Ring Group feature allows tremendous flexibility to route calls when traveling.

A few other features that I've been using are music-on-hold and CallerID Filtering (great for blocking telemarketers!).

Recently, I set up IVR and DISA so I could complete international calls from my cell phone - It works perfectly.

Now, if there was only a way to slow down the clock

************************

Update March. 19, 2015:

Never better! I actually believe call quality is better than its ever been.

I am now immersed in the mobile world and have a softphone app installed on all four of my Android devices, as well as my laptop. Now, access to Voip.ms is available from just about anywhere.

I don't think Voip.ms' combination of features and cost can be beat.

member for 10.9 years, 2184 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC

Softphone App

Do you use the native Android dialer SIP app or another soft phone app?

I need to do a review with VOIP.ms as I've had them for some time now and they are great. I unlocked my old Sunrocket adapter and it works fine.
FastAtLast
300 baud and beyond

join:2004-04-07
SW Florida

Re: Softphone App

I tried many softphones for use on my Windows laptop and settled on Zoiper. I also use their Android app on my mobile devices.

F100

join:2013-01-15
Durham, NC

Re: Softphone App

I mostly use the hardware adapter at home and keep the Softphone as a back up since Google doesn't have WiFi in the Nexus 5 yet.

I wish VOIP.ms would add some support for some of the HD Voice Codecs, even it it's only for calls within their network. T-mobile and Verizon now have it for their cell network and it sounds good when I call my wife's phone.

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Awesome feature set, totally stable service"
Bad "Er-r-r-r-r-r-r ... I can't think of any."
Overall "Value for money should be rated 150%"

·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
3/18/15---
Freshening my review ... no change in my ratings. I've begun to use more and more of the features within Voip.ms's awesome feature set ... as I continue to explore the world of VoIP.

I am very pleased with the recent and ongoing offer of free porting into my account ... and have taken advantage of it.

I was pleasantly surprised when the PAYG DIDs went from 99¢ per month to 85¢ and the incoming call rates were reduced from 1¢ per minute to .9¢ (less than a penny) in 6 second increments.
7/19/14---
In the face of a recent unwarranted overly negative review (reliability, tech support, value), reflecting sour grapes over Voip.ms's failure to implement a single specific feature (which apparently was promised for 2013), I wish to reinforce my strongly positive opinion of all aspects of Voip.ms's product and service ... since I (and many others, I'm sure) have absolutely no need for the anticipated feature.

The logic and reasoning applied to the reviewer's poor 'grades' seems to reflect more of an attempt at retribution rather than a legitimate review.

4/12/14---
We having been using Voip.ms for some time now as the primary household number in our New Jersey residence. There have been no problems whatsoever. The feature set continues to amaze me ... especially selective call blocking, SMS, uploading personalized recordings which can be assigned to answer specific incoming individual or blocks of CallerIDs. And the savings over our long ago Landline with Verizon basic service have proven to be well worth the switch to VoIP in general.

7/9/13---
UPDATE: I must be lucky. I've had no problems in my server selections ... while the service and feature set continues to be awesome. The recent addition of SMS texting capability is greatly appreciated and works well.

5/25/12---
UPDATE: Continues to supply me with awesome VoIP service, features and support ... not to mention very reasonable PAYG pricing..

11/27/11---
UPDATE: No changes to add to my previous raving reports for this awesome VoIP offering. Feature-wise, it appears to top the list of all of the VoIP providers we discuss in the BBR Forums ... but only by a tiny fraction over my other favorite ... too small a degree to differentiate in my 100% ratings for both.

04/29/11
Update: Voip.ms continues to be one of my favorite and steadfast providers in all aspects ... but most awesome is their Feature Set. Two examples:
(1) adding PhoneBook entries is pure simplicity;
(2) adding to the BlackList (otherwise known as CallerID Filtering or Call Blocking) ... using wild cards if necessary ... is also an easy task.

The website aIlows customers to post suggestions for improving features and functionality ... and Voip.ms listens!

12/15/10
End of year update: Value for money continues to be incredible with my PAYG accounts. Quality, Reliability and Support are top notch as well. Web portal changes within the past year have greatly improved navigation among the various settings and options, especially once one gains some familiarity through experimentation. The Feature Set offerings, in my opinion, are not exceeded by any other competitor in the VoIP field ... and these features are what should make "Value for money" a 150% rating.

My original slight downgrade for "ease of installation" has been boosted ... considering the subsequent ease with which I was able to set up each new Voip.ms account on different PAP2T-NAs (at different locations). I realized that the PAP2 settings are the same as I would use with most other providers ... it was the confusion over selecting the correct server site on the server side and in the PAP2 ... and the concept of "sub-accounts" that engendered my initial dismay.

For users with low to moderate monthly minutes, the PAYG plan combined with the other factors noted above makes Voip.ms an excellent choice, paying very low per minute charges for incoming (1�/min or 1.49�/min) and outgoing (1.05�/min) calls ... plus 99� or $1.49 per month ... with optional E911 for $1.50 per month. They offer a so-called "unlimited" (capped at 3500 minutes) monthly plan for incoming calls at $4.95 or $6.95 per month ... but outgoing calls are still charged by the minute.

Clarification: The two prices shown for per minute (incoming) and monthly charges depends on the rate center selected (AreaCode/Exchange).

Caveat: If one ports in a number, the per minute and monthly fees may be set at the higher rate shown above. (A message to Customer Service will most likely get the per minute charges reset to the lower rate.)

5/7/10
With the recent changes (all for the better) in the web portal, I've got to boost my web-site rating.

3/28/10
For a relative newcomer (them not me), Voip.ms has raced to the top in service, reliability, features ... and amazing value. Their PAYG plan is very, very reasonable (cheap!) They don't surprise you with add-on charges, fees, taxes. They have an awesome selection of "pick your own" phone numbers in an easy to search format.

I have found the Call Quality and Reliability and Tech Support to be outstanding. Aside from the superb value, I am so impressed with their features ... especially the CallForwarding, BlackListing, DISA, and other "manipulations" they allow for dealing with incoming and outgoing calls.

The only downside is the totally confusing Web Site. It takes me 10 to 20 minutes at times to make a simple change in my account/subaccount because of the absence of an intuitive setup for their scores of options. I have to go through a bunch of pages just to find out which SIP proxy I am using for my PAP2 ... or to make a simple call forwarding change. One has to add a new potential CallForwarding number on one page and then find the correct page to activate the forwarding. I'd like to see them fix this.

Incidentally, confusion over the SIP-proxy and the use of subaccounts can cause frustration when trying to register an ATA. Support quickly gave me the answers to my problem ... but a more intuitively designed site would have been appreciated.

Comments:

Review by eddi1984 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Good pricing, great support, lots of features, nice call quality"
Bad "Take a little bit of time to setup"
Overall "Love it!"

·TELUS
Hi all,

UPDATE 12 March 2015:
I am with VOIP.MS for approx 2 years. So far, I LOVE IT!!! Had issues with one number in a town, but that got resolved promptly by their techs. Other issues that have come up, all have been handled quickly and professionally! Call quality is very good. Pricing is good. The options offered are fantastic! (STILL missing T.38 FAX would be nice if they could get it setup).

My current setup: Panasonic KX-TGP500 with 3 handsets. One Aastra 57i, and one Linksys SPA3102 (for my alarm system to dial to the central station, and I also use it for fax in/out (no T.38)). I also use Zoiper soft phone at my work place for the occasional LD calls.

I also love the SMS feature, it works great!

I will stay with VOIP.MS! I LOVE the company and their service, has saved me already TONS of $$$. Thank you VOIP.MS!!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----

I am with VOIP.MS for approx 6 month now (5 DID's).

I really hesitated to switch from SHAW (local cable provider). I was not sure, how reliable the VOIP.MS service would be.

A little bit of background:
I had SHAW internet (50) and Home Phone. In a 3 year span, the price went from $85 to close to $105. I guess the shareholders needed money for a new yacht or something ...
Long story short, SHAW was not willing to drop the price (I was with them for close to 7 years), nor did they care when I left (got no "please come back" response, just silence ...)

I switched my internet to TELUS (see my other review) and I ported one number (with SHAW it was a distinct ring number, kept the primary phone number with SHAW).

I setup simulations ring with SHAW to ring the ported number residing at VOIP.MS. So every call that came in on my primary number was also ringing my VOIP.MS number. I setup a Grandstream ATA with my analog phone.

I had some issues with the ATA, it was not working right, so spend some time to fix that. Once it was resolved, it worked (not as good as I would liked it).

Than I also had a problem calling certain numbers that terminated in a little town where family is living. It took approx 2 days with tech support so resolve the issue (I believe that it was the local termination that was causing issues, because family living in that town also experience frequent problems with their POTS line).

Because of the issues, tech support recommended to use PREMIUM line not VALUE. So I did (the extra cost does not make much of a difference to me, in respect to the better call quality and reliability). Since than, I have no problems with any numbers in that town anymore.

Conclusion:
If you switch to VOIP.MS, sign up for an account and play with the site and settings before you buy/port a DID. This way, you will be familiar with VOIP.MS site and than you can focus on the actual phone setup once you have a DID.
After some initial bumps at the beginning, the service is flawless, and I have no issues since (wife is not complaining, so that is GOOD! )

I highly recommend, if you are switching to VOIP.MS get yourself a true SIP phone. The Panasonic KX-TGP500 is fantastic. Siemens also has a Gigaset (DECT) phone. Or get a wired SIP phone (Aastra is nice and easy to setup, Grandstream phones are a cheaper option). With an ATA, you will always loose something (it might be ok, but not great!).

That is now approx 2-3 month ago. Since then, I upgraded my ATA to a Panasonic KX-TGP500 and ported my primary number to VOIP.MS! I love the phone! Also, I noticed a clear improvement in my call quality and specially clarity.

I have one problem with VOIP.MS. THEY DO NOT SUPPORT T.38 FOR FAXING. And that is why I still hesitate to resell the VOIP.MS service to my business customers that I do IT support. Everyone of them still uses the traditional way of faxing regularly. It has to work and without T.38, it is not guarantied.

VOIP.MS, PLEASE, IMPLEMENT T.38! It cannot be that hard with Asterisk ...

Cheers,

Eddi

PS: If you find spelling mistakes, please keep them ...

member for 2 years, 87 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bigMc See Profile

Good "Great value with lots of calling features and support of BYOD"
Bad "Tech support is via online ticketing only."
Overall "Great service and very reliable with very good call quality"

I signed up for the standard voip.ms service for $0.99/mnth for DID (phone number) and per call billing (incoming and outgoing). There was also a $25 charge to port in my number.

The ordering process was simple and phone line was activated immediately after porting in. Setup is self install and required entering you account information into the ATA.

I switch from Primus to voip.ms and I have not regretted the move. I felt like I was being gouged by Primus for their VOIP service so the switch to voip.ms was a no-brainer. I was a little hesitant to move to voip.ms due to their online only support and not having a lot of information about their service. The support has not been an issue because response to tickets are prompt and I have not experience any major outage since switching.

Overall, voip.ms has been great, however I would not recommend it to a non-technical user.

Comments:
Mango
What router are you using?
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Chat support

You may be interested to know that VoIP.ms also provides support by chat.
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·localphone.com
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus

Number porting

The review said:

There was also a $35 charge to port in my number.

The Voip.MS number porting costs just $10 as far as I know, similar to some competitors.

You need to deposit a minimum of $25 in your account to be able to send and receive calls. Maybe that deposit, plus the porting fee, was the $35 that you refer to??
bigMc

join:2014-01-15

Re: Number porting

Correction the porting was $25 back in 2012. My initial deposit was $35 and $25 was deducted for the porting.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL
·VOIPO
·CIKTEL Telecom
said by PX Eliezer:

The review said:

There was also a $35 charge to port in my number.

• Voip.ms has not had a porting fee for some time now.
• The $25 initial funding, depending on customers’ calling patterns, can last for months … and the remaining balance is refundable if you decide to port out.
• There is no Early Termination Fee (ETF).
• The monthly fee on PAYG for most DIDs has been lowered from US99¢ to US85¢ and on the US$1.45 DIDs to US$1.25. (This two tiered pricing reflects higher costs from some CLECs that supply DIDs to Voip.ms.)
• Incoming PAYG per minute calls are now billed at .9¢ (less then one penny) in 6 second increments!
• Outgoing PAYG per minute calls are now billed at 1¢ in 6 second increments!
• And for this truly inexpensive pricing, you get dependable service, excellent support, and an awesome feature set!

Review by SirGumby See Profile

• Location: Fergus,ON
Good "Great Value"
Overall "Cost Effective; Many features; Great Tech Support; Can't go Wrong"

·Start Communicat..
Was looking for an alternative to PRIMUS (and the 60+ monthly phone bill). A colleague mentioned he was using VOIP.ms and was very pleased. I took the plunge and invested in a CISCO ST112 VOIP adapter from Canada Computer (same adapter he was using). The providers website was easy to use and a snap to signup and they provided good instructions on how to configure the voip adapter. I got the service up and running in no time and after a little tweaking, I cancelled my land line and have not regretted it at all. My monthly phone bill is now about $5 per month including long distance. Have good call quality and have only had one small outage in 18 months I've been using the service. I've used both there email and on-line support and I'm very pleased at how fast they reply to emails and respond to chat request.

Comments:

Review by LondonDave See Profile

• Location: London, ON
Good "Great for casual caller"
Bad "May need to be tech savvy to get it running"
Overall "A great low cost voip line for those that recieve only incoming calls"

·Start Communicat..
·Bell Fibe
After years of haggling with rogers for discounts on my home phone I switched to voip.ms. Voip.ms handled all the porting and I believe the cost was $20 for that. Provisioning my linksys SPA-3102 for service was easy and I was making calls within 10 minutes of my port being completed. I recall the port being scheduled for 5 business days out.

I like being able to pick the call server that is closest for low latency. I have two additional DID's that I use for my business phone system and fax machine which work great since they are low volume lines so I only spend 3 - 5 dollars a month for those.

I have since ported out as my household does a lot of calling out which is still expensive with voip.ms.

member for 3.5 years, 313 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·localphone.com
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus

Thanks for review, just curious....

said by LondonDave:

Voip.MS is very value-priced for outbound calling especially in the Canadian market.

I'm just curious who you found that is even cheaper for calling out?

LondonDave
join:2011-09-05
London, ON

Re: Thanks for review, just curious....

I have moved to start.ca for VoIP service. 15 a month for unlimited Canadian calling. VoIP.ms was also charged in US dollars which also added to cost.

Review by CaptEd See Profile

• Location: Overland Park,Johnson,KS
Good "Fast porting, wiki help on each website page, low rates"
Bad "None so far"
Overall "The best voip service I have seen yet."

·Anveo
I have had Anveo for my business voip lines for a couple of years. It is strictly bare-bones with little or no support but a very cheap rate. I expected the same from voip.ms but was very surprised. Every page on their web site has a wiki that explains and instructs how to use their features. Boy, I wish I had chosen them sooner! I would recommend newbie Anveo customers to sign up for a Voip.ms account so that they can figure out how voip services work.

The biggest surprise of all was that it only took seven (7) days from LNP order to FOC/ line number port! They not only have top level online support help, but at least to me, excellent organization. Things are laid out in an orderly fashion, making it easy to navigate.

I still use Anveo for my business lines, but I dropped my ATT landline I was paying $38+/month for and ported my home phone to Voip.ms and I am very satisfied. I will use the pay per minute plan ($0.009) until I am with them a couple of months to determine if I would benefit from a flat monthly rate ($4.95). This is a personal line and I don't know how much talking my wife will do. I hardly use the home phone myself. I can't believe I paid so much for so little all these years to ATT.

I had two accounts with ATT. One for Uverse HSI and one for local voice (landline). All I needed to do was port the home number since the HSI is a separate account. Uverse HSI (VDSL) rides the copper line that also provides voice from the VRAD to my NID, so that means no truck roll for porting away the voice line and I keep the HSI. Since Voip.ms is running a free porting promo, the price is good! Zero cost to save about $350/ year. The most disgusting monthly charges were those "fees" and taxes that ATT added each month. They came to about half the cost of the advertised service for one voice line. So long, ATT. Eat my dust! And as soon as Google comes to my neighborhood later this year, you can bet I will shed the Uverse HSI and its "fees".

One thing to note: I set up my account without any cost, but to port my number I had to authorize a $25 charge to fund my account, even though it (LNP) was free (just so you know). Anyway, there is a need to have funds after the porting is done to setup e911 and the monthly cost of service on the account... which came to about $2.50 total.

I'm feelin' good! I cut the cable cord a long time ago and have been using OTA broadcast TV and Roku. Now I am Telco-free! One more to go!

Comments:

Review by amd64now See Profile

• Location: Orleans,ON
Good "Low prices, good support and call quality"
Bad "No option for unlimited outgoing local plan or unlimited outgoing north america"
Overall "This is your best BYOD choice for voip service"

·Anveo
Update: Jan 2015

My service is still excellent. I do have one area in Newfoundland that has some CNAM delivery and call quality issues. However, most of the providers I tried does have the same issues. Everywhere else, quality is excellent.

Rates have been recently lowered. Saving more money with voip.ms

Update: 20 March 2014

I did leave voip.ms in Jan 2013 due to some issues with inbound calls such as busy signals and some of the issues with the servers.

However, I did return some phone numbers back to voip.ms over a month ago and I have to say I am extremely happy. The Toronto servers are very stable and I have no complaints with calls inbound or outbound.

Support is free with unlimited tickets and live-chat. Toll-free calls are free with value outbound. My Canadian outbound with premium is 0.01. There are a number of benefits to voip.ms and I think they are back to the levels of excellence I knew when I first joined them.

Update: 01 Aug 2012

voip.ms still remains one of the best Canadian voip providers. Still with them and still saving money.

Original review 2011:
============================================================
I have used voip.ms for a few years for North America long distance purposes. I have been very happy with the quality. As they continued to provide great quality, low prices and support, I moved my home phone service completely to voip.ms after 16 years of Bell landline service.

As many previous reviewers indicated, they provide multiple points of presence giving you, the customer, the choice to pick the best quality connection from you to the server. I like to see the latency and trace route numbers to ensure I have a good connection to the server.

The support response from tickets and live chat has been excellent. I do like the fact they have live chat. This has been discussed on the forums here and I think it is great to raise an issue I might have in real time. You have the option to get a transcript on the end of the chat session. Ticket response has been always within 24 hours or less. I additionally love the fact voip.ms "lurks" around on these forums. Some have posted poor customer support and voip.ms representatives here deal with the issues immediately.

My only bad point if you can call it that. No option for unlimited outgoing. I think both pay as you go and unlimited offerings would give customers more options. Like a mortgage, some like variable some like fixed.

Overall, one of the best Canadian voip providers you will find for price value, support and call quality. I will be sure to keep my review updated.

member for 7.9 years, 520 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by sinjun See Profile

• Location: Wichita,Sedgwick,KS
Good "Reliable, easy to use, sounds fine, huge number of bells and whistles if you need them"
Overall "It just works. Almost boring"

20141226

I used to fume at telemarketer calls and resented paying Bell $40/month for a few hours of calling per month.

Then I found voip, and after trying voip.ms and a few others, voip.ms was the clear winner.

It costs about 9/10 cent per minute, incoming or outgoing. It costs about 90 cents/month for my DID. The billing is done in 6-second increments, so calls less than a minute long cost me a fraction of 9/10 of a cent. It is hard to get it cheaper than that.

Along with its cheap prices, it is the most feature-rich service I have used. the IVR is outstanding and I use it to require non-whitelisted callers to enter a digit to ring the phone. Goodbye telemarketers.

The time controls are very flexible; the sms feature (still free) is very handy for getting messages to my cellphone-loving daughter.

Checking their website and their features is well worth doing before you get an account with someone who offers less.

Comments:
grand total

join:2005-10-26
Mississauga
·VMedia

Some sort of discount?

quote:
It costs about 9/10 cent per call, incoming or outgoing. It costs about 90 cents/month for my DID. The billing is done in 6-second increments, so calls less than a minute long cost me a fraction of 9/10 of a cent.
Do you get some sort of discount? Everybody else pays 1 whole cent per minute inbound and outbound and 99 cents per month for a DID.
SB6141 - RT-AC68U + Merlin - Panasonic KX-TGP500 - Asterisk 11.13.1 on a Virtual Server
Anveo - Voxbeam - Numbergroup - Localphone
ISP: VMedia
sinjun

join:2014-08-13
Wichita, KS
·Callcentric

Re: Some sort of discount?

said by grand total:

I meant 'per minute'. I just sent an email to support asking for 9/10 cent per minute rate, and the 90 cents per month for the DID, and they gave it to me without a quibble. Try it yourself.

I have always had the 6-second billing.

Review by JoeBtfsplk See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "No problems, no more telemarketers"
Overall "Hands down, the best. To know them is to love them"

Dec 24 2014
Voip.ms just keeps rolling along, with per minute prices dropping ten percent from an already low price. Now .9 cents per minute for incoming and outgoing; and the monthly cost for a DID is 90 cents, down from 99 cents.

SMS working like a charm and still free after a year.

More features than most competitors yet cheaper than they are.

Give yourself a Christmas present and get the Voip.ms service.

Mar 12 2014
Voip.ms continues to do an excellent job. It is so good, so reliable, that it is tempting to take it for granted - like a furnace that you hardly notice but that keeps your home warm and dry in the midst of winter, or a toaster that makes a perfectly browned slice of bread, time after time.

But just try to find in any other voip provider the combination of 99.999 reliability, extensive features and excellent sound that you have with Voip.ms. You won't be able to. Guarantee it.

And not only is Voip.ms's performance extraordinary, it is easy to set up! Really. Once I figured out that an incoming call did not necessarily have to ring the phone, but that other things could be done with it, like forwarding to another number or playing a message or hanging up, I was off to the races, and the menu choices suddenly made simple sense.

Sep 08 2013
Voip.ms is like having a pbx-lite, if what I read here about pbxes is giving me a proper idea of what they do, but requires little or no geek abilities.

I ported my pstn number to them a while ago and the telemarketers have disappeared; I see them in the call logs but the phone never rings when they call. Thanks to the voip.ms IVR, I was able to get rid of the telemarketers with very little effort, using suggestions I found here.

The sound is fine, the responsiveness to questions is excellent and the reliability has been unfailing.

The cost for this? The premium North American service is 1.25 cents/minute for outgoing calls, in 6 second increments, 1 cent/minute for incoming calls; a DID is $1.00/month; optional 911 is $1.50/month.

If you do not need the bells and whistles: the IVR, the Callerid processing, the DISA, the Callback, the Call Forwarding, the Time Conditions, the Sub-Accounts, the Ring Groups, etc., then forget about them and use it as a reliable, very reasonably priced, very easy to set up service.

And if, after a few months, you feel a need to do something about telemarketers or people that call later than you like, the means to fixing the problem are at hand; no need to get a second voip provider: Voip.ms has everything you will need to do the job.

I feel fortunate to have found Voip.ms. An excellent company.

Original Review
I have been using voip.ms for a year or so and have had no problems.

It was easy to set up once I realized that it can do more than deliver an incoming call to your phone and that there are all kinds of ways to move the call around and filter it before the phone rings or does not ring. That is probably more a comment on voip in general compared to pots, but voip.ms certainly has a lot of ways to route the incoming call.

I also use a sub-account with the voip option of my cell phone to make practically free calls from wifi hotspots.

Comments:

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Astound Broadband

On my list, too

I'm getting an Obi110 tomorrow, and researching VOIP providers for my long-time landline number. So far, it seems like Anveo has a feature-set I like, but voip.ms is also a consideration - I just haven't found as much info on them. I think we would be fairly low volume, so the cost may be similar, although Anveo has a plan with free incoming calls and E911 service for $2.80/month.

I'm interested in how you stop telemarketers. Can you cut out robo calls easily? Are IVR rules easy to setup?
JoeBtfsplk

join:2013-06-09
Los Angeles, CA

Re: On my list, too

Once you get the gist of them, it is very easy.

To stop robocalls, you make a recording, either with your microphone or using one of the online text to speech sites - www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php is a good one.

My recording says 'Enter 1 to ring the phone'

Then upload the recording to voip.ms by going to DID Numbers / Recordings.

Then create the IVR by going to DID Numbers / Digital Receptionist (IVR).

Give the IVR a name, for example: Enter_1

In one of the 'Digits' fields, enter a 1.

Next to that, under Destination, you can have the incoming call go wherever you want it to when the callers enters 1, prompted by your recording.

You probably want to send it to: Main Account SIP/xxxxxx, where 'xxxxxx' is your userid. That will ring the phone.

Under DID Numbers / Manage DIDS, edit your DID and specify Enter_1 under Routing / IVR

Whenever someone calls you, they will hear your recording. If the caller enters 1 your phone will ring. If he does nothing, or anything else, the recording will play twice more and the phone will hang up.

This may sound complicated but it is really pretty easy once you play around with it. The nice thing is that once you learn the drill for routing a call one way, all the other ways you can route it make sense, and you can, for example, send all calls to a Time Condition, so that in the daytime the caller gets the 'enter 1' message, but at night gets 'enter extension' or voicemail or whatever you want to ensure domestic peace.

And you can trump all that by using DID Numbers / CallerID Filtering to whitelist certain numbers.