voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by Jeffrey See Profile

• Location: West Tisbury,Dukes,MA
Good "Price, Features"
Bad "A little technical to setup, but only for the very inexperienced"
Overall "I love it"

·Vonage
I needed a seasonal VoIP line at a summer residence. Voip.ms was the best choice. I picked up a voip adapter for $40 at the time from an online retailer, lease my DID for I think $1/month and then pay very cheap rates per minute. This is a very limited use line, using less than 1000 minutes per year, but it works out perfectly for me.

Pros: Price, call quality, reliability, feature-set.
Cons: Not for me, but setting this up is probably not for the "voip-clueless".

Comments:

Review by Kaphely See Profile

• Location: Sainte-Julie,QC
Good "Cost, features"
Bad "Not as reliable as Videotron or Bell phone, but that is to be expected with voip."
Overall "Excellent cost reducing alternative to standard phone providers as long as you are willing to spend time to set up."

I could not be much happier with voip.ms. I switched in January 2013 after 7 years being with Videotron residential phone. Voip.ms has all the features you can expect on a phone (caller ID, forwarding, voicemail, etc.) included so no extra fees here. Also, using a Linksys PAP2T as a phone adapter and by using voip.ms sub accounts, I now have two separate phone lines (same number) throughout the house. No more waiting for the phone to be available.

There are issues sometimes with voip.ms (call not going through, no sound) but they are rather unfrequent. I didn't have any issues in 7 years with videotron. Considering I went from 30$ tx included a month with Videotron to less than 10$ a month with voip.ms, I can accept some downtime once in awhile. Voip.ms are really quick on reacting to issues though and post status of issues on their site and also can send you updates through email.

Comments:

Review by netcomrade See Profile

• Location: Leesburg,Loudoun,VA
Good "Reliable. Inexpensive."
Bad "Web interface takes some getting used to"
Overall "Great value."

·Wave2Net High Sp..
I used voip.ms to park my old home # as I moved from one state to another, and wanted to still be able to call all those places that want the home # to be recognized as caller-id.

I am pretty sure i learned about it on DSLReports, and I have been happy with reliability since setup.

I do not use any of the advanced features and occasionally do miss the fax feature of callcentric (I use callcentric for another number). I use the least expensive service (plus per minute fees), which keeps my phone number a live for less than a cup of coffee.

My VOIP client lives happily on my blackberry.

Comments:

rnox

@sbcglobal.net

Call quality

I have a client who has been using Voip.ms for the last three months. What a disaster. They have a large volume on inbound calls. They had so many problems with unreliable connections with the Chicago server that while having an web chat support conversation the agent suggested that they switch to Dallas. I check the Voip.ms logs and Chicago was a disaster. I moved my client's service to Dallas. Then Dallas had a hick-up and calls were dropping. My client got fed up and sent me an email they wanted to go back to AT&T. Voip.ms has serious quality issues that they keep blaming on their data centers. I lost my client because of their unreliable service.

Review by edsmith See Profile

• Location: Cordova,Walker,AL
Good "Reliable, good-sounding, superb call-handling"
Overall "Reliable, good-sounding, superb call-handling"

June 8 2013
voip.ms continues to do an excellent job for me. I have added a sub-account to my old Nokia smartphone and can use voip.ms at wifi hotspots to read email or call anywhere - cellphone convenience at voip prices.

After several years of using voip.ms, I have had no problems to speak of.

I have a few dozen entries in the caller-id handling screen, routing them to 4 different destinations - ring through, voicemail, out-of-service message,hangup, and changing the destination depending on time of day or day of week.

Routing also varies depending on the number called - inum, virtual number, regular DID.

It also changes depending on the extension entered when the caller is prompted by the IVR.

This sounds complicated but is actually easy to set up, and along with the basic good sound and reliability, is what makes this such an excellent voip provider.

And not to forget the many failover options and the ability to switch servers if needed.

And the sub-accounts. They let you have what amounts to any number of accounts with voip.ms, while really having only one.

The price for all this is in the mainstream of other voip providers, maybe a bit less.

Comments:

Review by Trimline See Profile

• Location: Orlando,Orange,FL
Good "Quick Setup, Immediate DID Delivery"
Bad "Can't Think of One"
Overall "A Solid Service Contender"

·ObiVoice
·Bright House

28May2013

Still going strong with VoIP.ms. I see I have been using their service for almost 2.5 years now. No complaints, highly recommend them.

___________________________________

I had read quite a few favorable reviews about VoIP.MS and decided to add an extra DID to my Asterisks box as backup. During the DID selection I really like being able to review all available DIDs and select one. I picked two.

Overall, I've been quite impressed (I currently have Callcentric as well) with VoIP.ms. Their premium routing for overseas calls is flawless. My international and domestic calls are consistently completed quickly and call clarity has never been an issue.

Their web site does take a bit of a learning curve, but the user options are quite impressive. I have to give a five star kudos to their customer support. After ordering my DIDs, I asked for them to place CNAM on them. There was some delays due to the carrier, but they stuck with it and got the job done. I'm a big fan of them now.

I would highly recommend VoIP.MS.

member for 10.1 years, 4266 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by JeanInNepean See Profile

• Location: Nepean,ON
Good "Very low rates for outgoing calls, highly configurable interface"
Bad "Setup has a lot of options; can be overwhelming for some"
Overall "Excellent VoIP service, low prices"

I only signed up with voip.ms service early last month. I was planning on porting one of my secondary, less-used, numbers from Primus to voip.ms, but the port is difficult due to Primus not finding that number under my name, at my address or having it linked to my account... I've talked to Primus several times in the past weeks with still no resolution...

As for the main number, I'm still debating whether I'm better off paying 30$/month for unlimited or pay as I go. It's hard to tell when the bills I get don't show how many local call minutes I use every month...

I have nonetheless used voip.ms to make calls, using their value route service. So far, the quality has been excellent and I don't really see the need to use the premium routes. So far, I made calls up to 90 minutes long without a drop or choppiness.

The web interface is pretty straight forward, but has lots of options. Although I was up and running in a few minutes, I can see why some users (like my parents) would be intimidated by the amount of options.

I will review my review after I've used the service for a few months...

----------------------------------------

UPDATED on 2013-05-27

----------------------------------------

After a few calls to Primus to fix the information linked to my alternate number, the port finally succeeded. So far, my experience with voip.ms has been excellent. Voice quality is excellent. Integration with Asterisk was straight forward. I don't use the service much (less than 300 minutes/month) and this initial port was just to prove the concept. Usage will increase once my main number gets ported. I will update after I've seriously used the service for a few months.

Comments:

Review by varrin See Profile

• Location: Keene,Cheshire,NH
Good "Low cost, huge features, good call quality"
Bad "One technical glitch, setup requires education"
Overall "If you're willing to learn how to set it up, the value can't be beat"

Original review: (update below)

After years with 8x8, switched to VOIP.ms due to lower cost and better features. Our usage has been low, so the pay-as-you-go plan made great sense.

Ported two numbers at $25 each, which went flawlessly. The cost for those lines is $1.49 each per month. Added a toll free number (custom number to match one of the ported numbers = $15 to connect) at $.99 per month. Added E911 at $1.50 per month. Now our base monthly cost is $5.48 v.s. ~$37 for 8x8. With our relatively low usage, we should still be us under $10.00 per month even with caller ID, premium routing, the toll free service, and regular use of forwarding (essentially billed at double the rate).

Set up IVR's, ring groups, forwards, voicemails, and so on. All of it works wonderfully and is very useful for us.

Had one technical glitch early on. I couldn't register the PAP2T and my laptop at the same time on the New York POP. Switched to Los Angeles and all was well from there on.

Haven't been with them long, but so far so good. I'm happy I made the switch.

Update 5-17-13:

Have been with VoIP.ms for nearly 3 years now. Very happy with the service. The features remain outstanding and the service has been very reliable. Occasionally I have to reboot my PAP2T but I believe this is due to issues on my end, not theirs. There have been outages, but they're infrequent and short. Usually, the only way I know about them is by reading the news feed on their website. I continue to highly recommend them for the advanced user in non-critical environments (eg. home).

Comments:

Review by spikernum1 See Profile

• Location: Burlington,ON
Good "Costs NOTHING, Incredible support, setup and save, extensive options."
Bad "Extensive options can be hard to understand and setup for some"
Overall "Absolute MUST HAVE for any new or existing home phone users."

·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
I cancelled my Cogeco home phone service and started using VoiP.ms over 2 years ago.

All you need to know is I deposited what I usually pay Cogeco for 1 month of phone service ($40) and I have __ NOT PAID A SINGLE CENT SINCE!!!!!! __

My cost for using the service is:
- $1/month for the phone number
- $0.20/month on average for all phone calls

This is a no-brainer...

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

Not Quite That Cheap.

Actually the monthly fee is $4.95, not $1/mo, but it's still pretty cheap. They have been having problems with their site lately so I can't login to check it but I still have the transcript of a chat I had with them 2 weeks ago when I contacted them to find out why I got a low balance alert. My monthly fee for December, January, February, March and April is a total of $24.60 + $0.44 of communication charges. A $40 payment will only get you 8 months of service.

a333
A hot cup of integrals please

join:2007-06-12
Rego Park, NY

Re: Not Quite That Cheap.

No, actually you can opt to pay either $4.95/month for up to 3000 (maybe 5000, I don't exactly remember the number) minutes of incoming calls on a DID, or just pay $0.99/month (as the OP here is doing) and pay per minute for incoming phone calls (I think the incoming rate is like $0.01/minute on that plan). Obviously, on the $0.99/month plan, there is no set cap on incoming calls.
Physics: Will you break the laws of physics, or will the laws of physics break you?
If physicists stand on each other's shoulders, computer scientists stand on each other's toes, and computer programmers dig each other's graves.

Re: Not Quite That Cheap.

That's not true either since I'm also paying for minutes too. Actually I don't remember signing up for the $4.95/month charge and was surprised when the money in my account was depleted. I think they are screwing me! It looks like the IP phone companies are just as shifty as Ma Bell!

Re: Not Quite That Cheap.

I just went to their DID Billing page and changed it to 99 cents!

jackmtl

@bell.ca
actually, it could be it's more expensive in the states, however in canada it can be as cheap as 99 cents per month for a basic line.

»www.voip.ms/canadadids.php

Im doing research and think ill be going for th $5 option as ill be using it for my biz.

Brasso

@artnet.pl
Maybe I am missing something, but the monthly fee for a regular voip.ms number (not a toll-free number) is from $1 to 1.50 per month.

There is no 3000 minutes for x dollars per month for incoming calls; it is calculated by the minutes used and is something like 1 cent per minute.

For outgoing calls there is no 3000 minutes for x dollars per month; it is something like .5 - 1.05 cents per minute.
spikernum1

join:2010-03-03
Burlington, ON
·Start Communicat..
·Cogeco Cable
I am definitely not mistaken with how much I am paying... I'm fully aware of my bill and what comes off my credit card.

I'm from Burlington, ON. Paying $0.99/month for the DID, and then I pay $0.01-0.0125/min for use (Premium Route: Local/incoming = $0.01, long distance NA = $0.0125)

I could also choose the Value Route, which is $0.0052 (half a cent) per minute.

The pricing varies depending on the city: »www.voip.ms/canadadids.php

Review by bogtrotter See Profile

• Location: Flint,Genesee,MI
Good "Reliable, good-sounding, almost infinitely flexible"
Overall "Reliable, good-sounding, almost infinitely flexible"

·Callcentric
Unrivalled, (except, from what I hear, by Anveo but I can not even properly see their diagrams on my monitor) incoming call handling. Reliablity has been excellent using the Houston server; sound is fine; prices are very reasonable.

If they would add the 'press 1 before connecting' thing the service would be perfect.

======
The news that they have had a number of ddos attacks, whose effects they were able to limit to no more than 10 percent of their users, is an additional reason, if one were needed, to use their service.

= = = = =
Their reliability has come through loud and clear by their New York server staying up during Sandy. It looks like they set up a mirror image of it when it looked like their NY data center was going to lose power. Well done.

Service continues to be its usual good-sounding, smooth-running self.

= = = = =
In 3 years of using them, almost never a hiccup; the phone sounds like a pots line; the cost is negligible (1 cent/minute or so to N. America, 1.5 to London); call-handling is a dream - no unwanted calls make it through; and anybody who calls gets through when I want them to and goes to voicemail otherwise.

Extensions allow any number of phones to be linked, with calls made among them by dialing an extension number. Very handy.

Unbeatable reliability.

Comments:

Review by XR999 See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Cheap, works beautifully, tons of options"
Bad "Definitely not for the tech inexperienced"
Overall "If you want a cheap phone line this is the solution"

·TekSavvy Cable
·Bell Sympatico
Well I setup a voip.ms account a few weeks beforehand, then ran out and got a Linksys SPA-2102. Come home, get the adapter up and running, add credit to my voip.ms account, activate a new DID, configure the Linksys and boom I'm up and running with VoIP.

Call quality is excellent off the montreal2 server, whether off my ATA or my Android phone, absolutely no issues have arisen since I started service and overall voip.ms is a great VoIP service. Plus I haven't even scratched the surface on features yet but that's something I'll ease into.

UPDATE: October 18th, 2011:

Nothing to report but rock solid service that costs me less than $5 a month with my usage. In other words I couldn't be happier with voip.ms since they allow me to laugh in the face of Bell.

UPDATE: August 20th, 2012

Still enjoying rock solid service out of voip.ms along with features like call redirection since now I can just redirect telemarketers and other associated junk calls to the Canadian government's anti-fraud center along with the fact I can also redirect calls to my smartphone if I don't happen to be home to answer the call. The even better part, I've yet to use up my initial $30 deposit into my account yet and I've been using my account for over a year, something flat out impossible with some other VoIP providers and traditional POTS service. In other words, I couldn't be happier with voip.ms.

UPDATE: April 30th, 2013

Once again, still loving the service I receive with voip.ms, finally had to make a deposit into my account and I have switched away from the montreal2 server in favor of Toronto but otherwise nothing has changed and I still can't recommend voip.ms enough for the occasional phone user.

Comments:
dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA
·FreePhoneLine

Voip.ms: Keeping the costs low

I'm guessing that you're using Gmail or some other free calling system for outgoing calls so your Voip.ms minutes are incoming only? They bill in 6 second increments. So if you talk for 6 seconds how do they divide 1.5 cents by 10? Would they really bill you 1/10th of the 1.5 cents/minute rate for that call or is there a minimum to each call? If they bill you exact second increments that would be amazing. Just tell people that you'll call them right back, switch to Gmail and it would take forever to use up your initial Voip.ms credit. Also, you could use multiple numbers for just $2/month each. Pretty amazing. If its a short call it wouldn't be worth the bother of course of calling them back. And friends could just call you, let it ring twice for their caller ID to be transmitted and wait for your call if you're available. So cool.

XR999
See ya Rogers.

join:2010-05-24
Ottawa, ON
·TekSavvy Cable
·Bell Sympatico

Re: Voip.ms: Keeping the costs low

No Google Voice here, I have no interest in doing the work to circumvent the restrictions Google has on the service for people living outside the US. The main reason why I pay so little per month is because I use it so little per month. A typical month of voip.ms for me is only the $0.99 charge to keep the line running since I only have it for Kijiji sales (even then the vast majority of responses are still by e-mail), places where I deem my cell phone number too risky to give out (i.e Facebook, stores, etc.) and backup if for some reason my cell phone ever becomes unavailable. Everything else I use my cell phone for since I have way more minutes than I can ever use (200 local minutes and unlimited nationwide calling to 10 numbers of my choice).

Basically if it wasn't for the fact voip.ms was dirt cheap per month for my minimal usage, I wouldn't even have a second phone line since I could never justify paying more than $5 a month for a service that's barely ever used.
dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA

Wondering about that ATA

Do you need one with Voip.ms or can you use a softphone like X-Lite with a decent computer headset?
LanAdmin

join:2010-11-07
Montreal, QC

Re: Wondering about that ATA

You can use software, ATA, Asterix, etc.

»www.voip.ms/howitworks.php