voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by VexorgTR See Profile

• Location: Sheffield Lake,Lorain,OH
Good "Ok call quality, decent reliability."
Bad "If you're not a SIP protocol Guru, you are left to float a bit."
Overall "Be brave, and read some tech articles."

·Callcentric
One of my Clients is a Voip.Ms user... so I've traversed plenty into the system. I've had many "weirdness" issues... such as I send a DID to a sub account... and it just never goes....just keeps going to the original path. I dial a DID, and something with the SIP packet form is a bit off and the PBX kicks it out... Just a bunch of silliness that I wish I didn't have to go through. I'll admit that I resell for Callcentric and Appia.... and both of those providers have a streamlined interface by comparison.

The call quality is fine, the up-time is fine... The setup is fidgety, and some of my changes just don't take.... My opinion is that the system has too many functions that it just gets messy. A streamlined system is more my style.

That said, Sounds good, Works well.. the setup can really get messy. Not a bad service... if I could change settings and then have them work, that would be awesome.

Comments:
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Slightly opposite view

My experience with Voip.ms has been a little different than this reviewers.

I have three sub accounts set up and at times had various DID's routed to different sub accounts and all worked fine as far as I could tell.

Granted I am no business user, so maybe that's a bit different.

In my experience, tech support has been excellent. They've always gone the extra mile for me and they're quite fast to respond. So, in this regard I would definitely disagree with the reviewers opinion.

There is a slight learning curve to begin with, but hey, if I can figure out how to use some of the many features they offer, anyone can.

I've been a Voip.ms customer for a couple years now and it's my main system at home so I'm starting to use it more and more, and it has been working great. Even wifey likes it, so there ya go.

I would definitely agree with the reviewers opinion that Callcentric kicks butt in the web site department.

Well, ya can't win em all.........................
OzarkEdge

join:2014-02-23
USA

3 edits

VoIP.ms works fine for me...

I use VoIP.ms PAYGo (6 lines/sub-accounts/extensions) with an OBi202 ata and Android softphones for home and mobile wifi calling. Their website and account setup has been clear and straightforward, and everything is working fine. Granted, you need to learn about VoIP if you are going to bring your own device and configure your own service. I can't comment on how to setup PBX software, but My Home VoIP Project Notes »/profile/u/1888785 may help prospective home users get up-to-speed using VoIP.ms with an OBi ata.

Edits: Also see OP's related troubleshooting post »VoipMS

OE

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Re: VoIP.ms works fine for me...

After working with it all night, today we had disconnects/no reconnect to both Chicago 2 and 4.... blah. Don't know who's fault it is, but it sure stinks.

Review by ArgMeMatey See Profile

• Location: Milwaukee,Milwaukee,WI
Good "Configurability, ticket response, support and config help, server diversity"
Bad "No option to send a text alert when there is new voicemail"
Overall "Love this service."

·AT&T Midwest
My former provider went downhill so moving to voip.ms was like going from the 19th to the 21st century.

Have been using them since June 2010 for outgoing calls and since September 2010 for incoming calls. All working well with BYOD. Currently I am doing straight PAYG with a couple of DIDs. I will do this over a few months, and if charges seem high I may switch to a bucket.

The configuration can be overwhelming, but it's a VOIP geek's dream. The only feature they are missing is the ability to send me a text message when I have new voicemail. I currently use Value routing for outgoing toll-free calls, which is good enough for me but has noticeable drop outs. I use Premium routing for most other calls.

I also use CallCentric. The CallCentric interface is more polished, but they do not offer LIDB and the cost per minute is higher. Support is great for both.

04 April 2011
I continue to be impressed with voip.ms. Problems are handled quickly, issues are noted on website, and they introduce new features periodically. Since I pay for all incoming and outgoing calls, I was concerned that it might cost more than my old provider, but so far my billings are well under; I'm not a big talker.

The one unresolved issue I have is my CNAM listing for a LEC number that I ported to voip.ms via their carrier StarNet aka PAETEC. I requested this listing in October and it still is not done. This in itself is not reason enough to drop them, but no one has been forthcoming about why they can't get this done.

29 March 2012
I was advised in June 2011 that CNAM was not available in this market with any carrier. I don't recall the exact reason but they refunded my CNAM fee. Other than that I am still happy with their features and service and will continue to use them.

27 June 2014
The one issue I had was a problem with how a (free) SIP direct call was inaccurately interpreted and billed. I documented the issue, they issued me a very reasonable explanation and apology as well as a generous credit. I would like to see things moving from their "planned improvements" listing to their "new features" more quickly but the service is solid for me.

member for 13.2 years, 4405 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by bitseeker See Profile

• Location: San Jose,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Free extensions, IVR, ring groups, and more; many registration servers to choose from"
Bad "No failover for inbound calls (DID), no auto-refill"
Overall "Good rates and features plus an API to get your phone geek on"

·ObiVoice
VoIP.ms is a Pay-as-you-go service, so cost depends on your usage and where you call. They're not as low as a wholesale VoIP provider, but significantly less expensive than the well-known brands of retail business/residential VoIP. We're saving a bundle and getting more features.

Once you have a balance on your account, all of their PBX-like features (voicemail boxes, unlimited extensions, IVR, ring groups, calling queues, failover destination, forwarding, DISA, etc.) are included. This can make a huge difference as compared to some providers that charge per extension, subaccount, feature, or complexity of functionality.

I set up a dozen or so devices and softphones in the office including 2- and 6-line Polycom IP phones and an Obi110. The Obi110 has a cellular voice interface connected to its line port (POTS) as a backup trunk.

Porting of US numbers is currently free. We ported two numbers after successfully using the service for a month. One number went easily and was completed in about a week. The other took several tries so that one took several weeks.

The LNP and support staff are friendly. The wiki documentation is extensive. All good things to have.

The web interface for setting up some of the features such as IVR took some time to get the hang of, but works well. If you're ambitious and want to make your own management interface (mobile, web, etc.), VoIP.ms also has an API.

At this time, three features I wish VoIP.ms had are (1) the ability to upload outgoing messages for voicemail boxes, (2) the ability to listen to voicemail online, and (3) failover for DIDs. Our IP phones can register to more than one POP so we can still make calls if one goes down, but we need our DIDs to also change POPs so incoming calls can still get through if our selected "primary" POP goes down.

Very happy so far with VoIP.ms. Definitely recommended if you have more than a couple of phones and/or need PBX-like functionality.

member for 240 days, 170 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by xraminx See Profile

• Location: Oakville,ON
Good "Cheap. Flexible."
Bad "Tech support is pathetic."
Overall "Don't count on their tech support"

·flowroute
I bought a DID number from them and tried to set up DID based inbound routing on my PBX.

Turns out their servers do no include the DID number in the SIP request making it close to impossible to set up DID based inbound routes on your PBX. (Edit: it does, you need to set the SIP URI properly).

Their tech support is not knowledgeable. The first response I got to my detailed question was like the tech support was brushing me off, hoping I would resolve the issue myself. (And I resolved the issue myself at the end.)

Their support system is ridiculous: I gathered some valuable SIP debug information from the Asterisk log and pasted it in the support ticket but when I hit the "Submit" button, some crucial information was stripped from the log I pasted, rendering it useless.

Use their service if you think you can solve the problems yourself. Don't count on their tech support. You are on your own.

One serious issue is that it takes a long time for an incoming call to get connected. They have to fix this. The person calling your DID number will have to wait a long time before they hear the ring.

Comments:
Mango

So...

...did you remember to set "Device type" to "IP PBX Server, Asterisk or Softswitch"?

Yes I did. sip debug shows the TO: field is missing the DID number:
To: <sip:my_pbx_ip_address>

It is supposed to look like:
To: <sip:my_did_number@my_pbx_ip_address>

Re: So...

Testing it and will post back shortly.
·AcroVoice
·Anveo
·Shaw
I set up a sub account with password authentication, configured my Asterisk server with its credentials, registered, routed a DID to it, and it worked. I didn't test IP authentication because I don't have a server on port 5060.

Another way to accomplish what you want is to set up a SIP URI (from the DID Numbers menu). Use the syntax {DID}@my_pbx_ip_address. Note that {DID} is literally {DID} and will be replaced with the DID number that your caller has dialed. Then you route your DID to the SIP URI you created.

Let us know if either of those scenarios works.

2 edits

Thanks Looks like I found the solution 3 minutes later than you
·AcroVoice
·Anveo
·Shaw

Re: So...

I'm glad to hear your setup is working now. I can't address your issues with their technical support, however you might want to consider revising your other ratings, particularly "Ease of Installation", since the solution to your problem is clearly documented.

I notice you've rated Call Quality and Reliability at 50%. If you are having audio quality issues and downtime, please let us know if you would like help troubleshooting it.

I updated the review.

Re: So...

Thank you! And feel free to let us know if you have any other questions we may be able to answer. Have a great day!

·flowroute
Okay I figured out what the problem is and the DID based routing works now.

The SIP URI that you forward your DID to, must look like:
1{DID}@my_pbx_ip_address

But I had set it to
my_pbx_ip_address

Nevertheless, as I mentioned before, you cannot count on their tech support. You are on your own.

Re: So...

I do not agree that you can't count on our technical support. There's a lot of documentation in our wiki, and "my_pbx_ip_address" is clearly something you need some technical knowledge. Let me know if there's anything else we can do to help you get you started with your first PBX.

Re: So...

MartinM, you are entitled to your opinion.

I wrote about what I actually experienced. Tech support was useless.

They have access to all my settings on their servers. I also sent them detailed logs from my Asterisk CLI. They could not find the problem.

Here is the issue number. Go check it out for yourself:
Ticket #37355

BTW, it's not my first PBX.

Re: So...

I will take a loot and try my best to help you, from a quick look at the ticket is that you tell the technician that he used a crappy canned response and that our ticketing system trunks parts of your logs. That is normal, I would recommend perhaps attaching the log in a text file, as is the standard in the industry, and perhaps, refrain from using juvenile language.

Re: So...

Yes. I did say the first answer was a crappy canned response because it was. And I feel insulted to get a useless response to a detailed question I asked.

If you do not consider the first response a crappy canned response then you have no idea what an acceptable customer service is like.

And the problem is resolved by myself so you don't need to look further.

I suggest you improve your tech support instead of defending it.

Re: So...

At the end of it, it is working and we had nothing to fix, I understand your frustration in not getting an immediate answer in fixing your error. For that, I deeply apologise and I will make sure the technician who attended your case gets interviewed about your case.

I'm happy that the service is working as intended,

Best Regards,

Re: So...

And I appreciate you looking into this. What you need to fix is your customer service.

Looking forward to using your service and buying more DID's from you.

If in the future I use your customer support and I am satisfied, I will certainly change my review.

Regards
Ramin

Glad to hear that.

Make sure you include your traces in an attached text filedocument (SIP Traces contain HTML QUOTES). The best format is a .pcap file that can be parsed properly, like wireshark, if you don't know how to do that you can copy the asterisk output but as mentionned, in a text file.

Also, always make sure your account and subaccounts are set as PBX and not ATA Device, as documented in our wiki, if you want to have the DID included in the invite string.

Martin - VoIP.ms
Expand your moderator at work

3 recommendations

Support has improved a lot

I know this is an old review that was perhaps bumped by mistake or upgraded, but to say our support is non-existent and that you're on your own is a bit misplaced. We can't please everyone and we learn from our mistakes and always improve.

This our current staff on the floor at one of our two offices, picture taken ight now at 4:41 PM, and we don't take days off on Canadian or American holidays. Also, this is on second floor, not in picture are programmers and sys admin, accounting etc.

We're working all the time to improve our customer service, and we invest a lot our financial resources in that department.

I hope we can one day regain your trust in regard to our customer service level. If there's anything I can do, please let me know personally.

Martin - VoiP.ms

Re: Support has improved a lot

I've always wanted to see what you all look like.

said by Mango:

I've always wanted to see what you all look like.

I'm not in the pic! :P
Martin - VoiP.ms

Re: Support has improved a lot

By any chance is Peter the one with the headphones?
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Outland
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus

Good support

I contacted Voip.MS support a couple of times over the years, and always received good service.

To the OP:

I would say that many providers have multiple levels of support, Level 1, Level 2, etc. Yes, the customer does need to determine when to ask to be moved up.

Also, for the BYOD providers, although they will try "best effort" to help people with their equipment, in the end they can't be responsible for everyone's individual setups.
wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
·Future Nine Corp..

Concerning Voip.ms support

With all due respect to the reviewer:

I have been a customer of Voip.ms for over a year and the few times I have needed support, it has been excellent.

Better than excellent.

So, if the reviewer is having problems with support, he/she probably shouldn't make blanket statements such as was stated.

Maybe in the reviewers opinion support is "pathetic", but in reality, it is not.

I think a lot of members on here would agree........

·flowroute

The first step toward solving a problem is recognizing it

> to say our support is non-existent and that you're on your own is a bit misplaced

The first step toward solving a problem is recognizing it. Take a look at the rest of the reviews. A considerable number of the reviews are giving Voip.ms a lower than average rating on "Technical Support".

In all the responses that you gave to my comments in this thread, you are in a defensive mood rather than being open to criticism.

There is no doubt you guys are there and trying to help the best you can. The problem is that your support team needs to become more knowledgeable and learn how to handle different cases. If a technical support team member is not sure how to address an issue, they need to escalate to a more knowledgeable person rather than brush off the customer who opened the ticket by sending a canned response.

Train your technical support team and you will see how the ratings will improve. You will no longer need to post pictures of the support team to prove that they exist.

Review by BingoRingo See Profile

• Location: Gatineau,QC
Good "I get everything for almost nothing"
Bad "Sometimes calls don't go through -- update: not anymore"
Overall "Well worth the effort of the initial setup"

(See my update below)

I knew absolutely nothing about VOIP, but there was a thread on this site and people said they paid close to nothing for their land line, while I was paying close to $30 a month with Caller ID and voicemail. I thought it might be interesting to take a look.

I'm glad I did!

To be honest, if you're a beginner, it's near impossible to use voip.ms' service without third-party knowledge as their documentation is not for everyone, although this has vastly improved with the launch of their wiki site. Fortunately, I got the support I needed by email from voip.ms, and with Mango's instructions on how to configure the ATA I got this thing running in no time.

So this is all you need to configure the ATA, it takes a couple of minutes but it's very straightforward.

»www.toao.net/25-linksys-ata-configuration

Call quality:

I use the value service, it costs close to nothing and in almost a year only twice did I have an issue with the sound quality, and yet I managed to place the call and complete it. 99.9% of the time, it's the same as Bell and Videotron.

Options:

This is where voip.ms gets its high score. Every imaginable option is available for free, not only called ID, voicemail, call forward, etc. you can build menus, you can block numbers, you can setup different extensions, you can even have different messages depending on who's calling. And the best part, it's pretty simple with the web interface, as long as you don't mind looking around and doing a few tests.

Since you can use any SIP ATA you can build your dial plan the way you want it. I use the PAP2T-NA and with no knowledge I managed to make a new 311 that calls the city (else by default it calls Montreal's 311 as it's the server I use -- update: it seems that it reaches my city's 311 by default now).

Installation and order process

Ordering a number takes a minute, I wanted to keep my current number and it took a few days to be transferred, but they update you and they were on schedule.

The installation is very simple, once the ATA is configured. Just plug it in and it works (of course any extra wiring in your house will take more time, if you need some).

One thing that is very important, since you do no draw power from Bell, you must have an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) that covers the modem, the router and your ATA, so that you can still use the phone during a power outage. Add $50-75 to your initial cost.

So, overall your initial cost will be around $100 - 125 (ATA $50, UPS $50-75, transfer number is $25).

I save $25 a month on average so it's definitely worth the initial investment.

One thing you should know, the DID (your phone number) is $1.00 a month and e911 is $1.50, if you don't use the phone, that's all you'll have to pay in a month.

Conclusion:

I took the time to read and learn from others, and play on the website. Now I have a very powerful telephone service that costs me next to nothing. I'm no expert, but it works and I can change the settings when I want to, for free. When my first year is over, considering my initial cost, I will have saved $300. Not bad!

Quick edit, I realize I didn't specify why I removed some points in my scoring.

1- Web-site, sometimes it's extremely slow and it's not super user friendly; yet anyone who's not afraid to look around can figure it out.

2- Ease of installation, I couldn't put 100% since the user has to do the configuration, etc. but I also realize this is why the service is so affordable.

3- Tech support, I had some issues where the phone would answer but the person on the other side couldn't hear me, and opened a ticket. They provided a few workarounds that didn't work, and it turns out it was my ATA. They should have told me to reset and reconfigure the ATA as I ruled it out since most of the time it did work well.

Edit: 2012-10-14

Now the problem seems to be solved but we experienced a lot of issues with calls for the whole Summer. Most often, people would call and I didn't hear them. Seems to be better now though, but if you're a business or your line is extremely important, you might consider another company for increased reliability.

Update: 2014-05-15

I haven't had any issues in a long time, I did, however, get a new OBi110 instead of the PAP2T-NA, as the hardware seemed to be getting more and more difficult, requiring resets, etc. The service has been very reliable, every time it failed me, it turned out to be my hardware or configuration. I am still very satisfied, since I moved to that company three years ago I saved around $800 as opposed to what I was paying with Videotron.

member for 4.5 years, 1131 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
ArizonaSteve

join:2004-01-31
Apache Junction, AZ

It's really very reliable when setup right.

You said: "to configure the ATA, it takes a couple of minutes but it's very straightforward" but that's not true if you want you phone to always be able to get calls as you discovered. It took me 2 weeks of trial and error to get my phone setup so it works all the time. Yes it only takes a couple of minutes to initially configure it to call out but getting it to always receive takes a lot of trial and error. The problem is my phone has 3 screens of settings to configure with some values going from 0 to 20 million but they don't have any information on what settings to use so it works with their system. I emailed them about that shortcoming several times but they didn't seem interested in fixing it and putting up some examples of sample settings that work so I had to figure it out myself. I'm using an Aastra phone that has more settings to configure than a linksys ATA but it's still a problem even with simpler devices. Once everything is configured reliability is very good and voice quality is as good or better than a regular phone. The cost is very low, I only paid $2 for the phone at a swapmeet and $25 to get started. I agree the website is very slow though.

BingoRingo

join:2010-03-29
Gatineau, QC

Re: It's really very reliable when setup right.

My comment was for the Linksys with Mango's instructions, but yes depending on the ATA/IP phone, etc., and many other variables it can become tricky. For example, some people will have to change their router settings, and most people will have some research to do online to figure it out.

However, this is true with most voip providers that do not provide a router.

Review by cdn_dsl See Profile

Good "Feature-rich, convenient, economical, prompt support"
Overall "Recommend to technically advanced users who can set up their own ATA/SIP client"

·Voipgo
·ELECTRONICBOX
·AEI Internet
After first using an ISP's voip, then abandoning that ISP and using 2x separate VOIP providers, I realized that it was costing too much when I found out about voip.ms.

By that time I owned Linksys PAP2T ATA and Linksys RTP300 router/ATA combo at 2 different locations and was comfortable setting up both devices.
voip.ms ported the phone numbers in just a few days and once I received emails about complete port, activated the lines and was up and running.

Switching to voip.ms provided the advantages of $0.99 plans with 1c/min (never using even close to 3500 min/month) on 6-second billing, which was cheaper than the other providers I used.

Big advantages are:
- sub-accounts (very convenient, can use 3-digit extensions dialing between lines/locations)
- call blocking can play 'number is not in service' message, which is a perfect deterrent against the spammers.
- multiple servers in North America and the UK allow to choose the best ping and switching to a specific server for dialing to a specific location.
- fax over 711 actually works out of the box, while it did not want to connect when using other providers!

They will send an email when account balance goes below specified value and I know to re-fill from Paypal.

Using for 2 months and so far so good.

Comments:

Review by davelissa See Profile

• Location: Houston,Harris,TX
Good "Great customer service, good call quality."
Bad "None yet"
Overall "Great prices, good call quality. Great!"

I was a voicepulse customer, and although their package is generally ok, I found that I couldn't take my number with me what I went abroad recently, and had to order another number. Also, VoicePulse customer service is only regular business hours. I went a-hunting.

After doing some research, I found voip.ms had a great review. I created a free account, put some money in the till and tested it out. It was great. I took the plunge, ported my number over - it took about 2 weeks - and so far it's been great. Call quality for some reason is better than Voice Pulse, and I can't understand why - it's the same physical ATA (Sipura PAP2)

My calls are only a cent per minute now, and a dollar monthly charge. I already had an ATA, so the monthly, and the per-minute is the only cost. I was previously paying $15/month with Voice Pulse, with unlimited incoming and 1000 minutes of outgoing, and I was using only about 20 minutes per month, if that (we have two unlimited cellphones, so we don't use the home phone much).

Customer service is well-nigh perfect. I chatted twice, both times the reps were very knowledgeable, quick and pleasant.

Please note, I've really no major grouse with Voice Pulse - I just found that voip.ms is better.

Couldn't ask for anything more!

Comments:

Review by lelou See Profile

• Location: Dorval,QC
Good "Excellent call quality on Wifi, very cheap, love the email phone messages"
Bad "Call quality when 3G reception is weak"
Overall "Good price, good service"

I have 2 phone numbers, redirect phone calls to 4 devices including Android Nexus 7 tablet, Android phones and Cisco SPA IP to analog converter. The call quality is excellent on the analog devices and OK from home on all the Android devices. When at work where Rogers is weak, call quality can be horrible, but that is not voip.ms 's fault. It a great service for a reasonable price, considering we have hours of overseas calls.

The web site login is slowish and you have to be a little savvy to set-up, but once that is done there is nothing to touch.

Comments:

Review by Markus See Profile

• Location: Ottawa,ON
Good "Incredible value for money"
Bad "Occasional echo on the line"
Overall "A huge saving over Bell POTS"

·TekSavvy DSL
I ordered voip.ms in January 2014 as a test for future replacement of Bell Canada POTS service. Over the last three months the voip.ms service has been almost flawless. There were 3 or 4 failed calls over the three months although in fairness the problem may have been with older firmware in my Cisco SPA 122 ATA. Since updating the Cisco firmware to the latest version I have had zero issues.

I have gone from spending $85/mo for Bell POTS (including unlimited world wide calling) to spending on average $8/mo with voip.ms. This will increase to approx $10/mo because I have now cancelled Bell POTS and activated e911 on the number ported to voip.ms.

Very happy with voip.ms so far.

Comments:

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Lots of features. Easily edit and access settings / CDR online."
Bad "A few hiccups here and there."
Overall "It's time you switch over to VoIP technology."

·TekSavvy Cable
Love it! I just wish there was an actual invoice (bill/statement) with your call log that you can print off like one provided by other mainstream telephone companies.

member for 6 years, 884 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state

voip.ms customer portal loads quickly now.

said by erfans:

I should mention that their website loads extremely slow for me all the time. Sometimes, it really frustrates me at how slow it is. For this reason, I am giving their website a rating of two.

Try it now. It looks to me like voip.ms has fixed the slowness issue. If you agree, you might consider updating your rating for their website.

erfans

join:2008-10-10
Canada

Re: voip.ms customer portal loads quickly now.

You're correct. Review has been updated. Thank you!