voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by fparker See Profile

• Location: Scarborough,ON
Good "Good call quality. Good response time for technical questions"
Bad "No packages available for outgoing calling (only PAYG)"
Overall "Good value, good reliable service"

Overall excellent service. Replaced home PSTN line with Voip.ms 8 months ago, no regrets. Pay 20% of what I used to pay, call filtering has allowed me to eliminate 95% of telemarketing calls. Good call quality.

member for 6.5 years, 1309 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Marian23

@clearwire-wmx.net

lousy accounting services

VOIP.MS does a good job with telephony and services, but it seems to take some kind of miracle to get my credit card to be "accepted" by their payment system. My guess is that this has to do with cross-border issues (I am in US, they are in Canada), or their "verified by Visa" routine. It seems like these frustrations happen about every other time I try to get money to them. It is exhausting and I would port my numbers elsewhere if it weren't such a hassle to do that, too.
Avoid this company until they get new payment people. Grrrrr! Life is too short for this silliness.

Davesworld

join:2007-10-30
Everett, WA
·Future Nine Corp..

Re: lousy accounting services

What does this have to do with their review?

You hijack a review thread and tell people to avoid them because YOU are having trouble paying them. Most people use PayPal because they do not want their credit card on file all over the planet and it's not an issue at all getting money to them this way.

Review by Mica See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "It just works"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "It runs like a finely-tuned machine"

October 6, 2013
Used it now for several months on a slower-speed dsl connection. No problems with sound, no problems of any kind.

I Ported my number from Bell to voip.ms and started saving $300/year but with 10 times the features.

The telemarketers are gone, the occasional crank or kidjoke calls are gone.

In the past, when the phone rang, I used to wonder what was coming my way; now I know it will be somebody I will not regret saying hello to.

Long-distance does not exist any more for me, since I pay only about 1.25 cents/minute for calls anywhere in North America. I call relatives in Vancouver or Toronto or Virginia as quickly as I call someone in town.

Voip is a revolution and voip.ms does it better than anybody I have tried.

Comments:

Review by DFW See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Surprisingly easy setup, excellent online support documentation, excellent communication regarding any server issues"
Bad "nothing yet"
Overall "Great and reliable service at a fraction of my old landline costs"

·CIKTEL Telecom
First off, my total monthly costs are inflated by about $1 because I ordered two numbers, one private that rings in the house and one that I give out to businesses that require it that goes straight to email. There are a ton of features for the very basic cost that I don't use. We aren't big phone users at home so we end up with the same convenience we had with a landline at maybe $400/year less.

Combined with an OBI100, the setup could not have been easier, even for an inexperienced user like myself. I only had two issues (trouble registering with a domain name, resolved by using IP and some odd ringing that was resolved quickly with a question in the DSLR voip forum).

Comments:

Review by gredzok See Profile

• Location: Topeka,Shawnee,KS
Good "Excellent"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "An Excellent Company"

·Callcentric
Voip.ms has worked very well for me for the past few years that I have used it.

I recently ported our old pstn number to Voip.ms, and it brings with it the junk that accumulates around a number that has existed for a while, but Voip.ms has let me do away with the call screening I had to do when the number was with Bell and I could no longer stand the telemarketers. The caller id filter lets through people I want to hear from and the IVR keeps out telemarketers and mentally ill people.

Loads of servers if the one you are using has a problem, but mine has had no problems and no noticeable latency.

And Voip.ms came through last October when it had to.

An excellent company.

Comments:

Review by eddi1984 See Profile

• Location: Edmonton,AB
Good "Good pricing, great support, lots of features, nice call quality"
Bad "Take a little bit of time to setup"
Overall "Love it!"

·TELUS
Hi all,

I am with VOIP.MS for approx 6 month now (5 DID's).

I really hesitated to switch from SHAW (local cable provider). I was not sure, how reliable the VOIP.MS service would be.

A little bit of background:
I had SHAW internet (50) and Home Phone. In a 3 year span, the price went from $85 to close to $105. I guess the shareholders needed money for a new yacht or something ...
Long story short, SHAW was not willing to drop the price (I was with them for close to 7 years), nor did they care when I left (got no "please come back" response, just silence ...)

I switched my internet to TELUS (see my other review) and I ported one number (with SHAW it was a distinct ring number, kept the primary phone number with SHAW).

I setup simulations ring with SHAW to ring the ported number residing at VOIP.MS. So every call that came in on my primary number was also ringing my VOIP.MS number. I setup a Grandstream ATA with my analog phone.

I had some issues with the ATA, it was not working right, so spend some time to fix that. Once it was resolved, it worked (not as good as I would liked it).

Than I also had a problem calling certain numbers that terminated in a little town where family is living. It took approx 2 days with tech support so resolve the issue (I believe that it was the local termination that was causing issues, because family living in that town also experience frequent problems with their POTS line).

Because of the issues, tech support recommended to use PREMIUM line not VALUE. So I did (the extra cost does not make much of a difference to me, in respect to the better call quality and reliability). Since than, I have no problems with any numbers in that town anymore.

Conclusion:
If you switch to VOIP.MS, sign up for an account and play with the site and settings before you buy/port a DID. This way, you will be familiar with VOIP.MS site and than you can focus on the actual phone setup once you have a DID.
After some initial bumps at the beginning, the service is flawless, and I have no issues since (wife is not complaining, so that is GOOD! )

I highly recommend, if you are switching to VOIP.MS get yourself a true SIP phone. The Panasonic KX-TGP500 is fantastic. Siemens also has a Gigaset (DECT) phone. Or get a wired SIP phone (Aastra is nice and easy to setup, Grandstream phones are a cheaper option). With an ATA, you will always loose something (it might be ok, but not great!).

That is now approx 2-3 month ago. Since then, I upgraded my ATA to a Panasonic KX-TGP500 and ported my primary number to VOIP.MS! I love the phone! Also, I noticed a clear improvement in my call quality and specially clarity.

I have one problem with VOIP.MS. THEY DO NOT SUPPORT T.38 FOR FAXING. And that is why I still hesitate to resell the VOIP.MS service to my business customers that I do IT support. Everyone of them still uses the traditional way of faxing regularly. It has to work and without T.38, it is not guarantied.

VOIP.MS, PLEASE, IMPLEMENT T.38! It cannot be that hard with Asterisk ...

Cheers,

Eddi

PS: If you find spelling mistakes, please keep them ...

Comments:

Review by Arne Bolen See Profile

• Location: Cyberspace

·Anveo
UPDATE September 21, 2013: I have closed my VoIP.ms account, so no more reviews.

UPDATE September 24, 2012: I now only use the Houston server for iNum and my US TF. My usage is low but the service seems to work well.

Update March, 2011:

The issues with the London server seem to have been fixed so I have updated the Reliability rating.

For several months I have been using a hosted PBX with VoIP.ms. Introducing a PBX may be a bit risky but it works like a charm. Because my PBX worked so good together with VoIP.ms I now use it with all my providers.

As it works so well with my PBX and VoIP.ms a few weeks ago I started to use SIP URI as the main routing option in all my VoIP.ms DIDs. Using SIP URI forwarding has the advantage I can route incoming calls to a specific PBX extension based on called DID and Caller ID number.

SIP URI routing worked so well with VoIP.ms I started to use it with all providers allowing SIP URI routing.

Update July 31, 2010:

I have lowered the Reliability rating. Last years issues with the London server are back again.

Phone/ATA devices are registered with the London server and internal calls are working. The following are NOT working:
1. External calls to DID's on the London server fail
2. External calls to PSTN numbers from the London server fail
3. When dialling *97 or 097 the voice says "Comedian mail" instead of going directly into the mail.

The dates for the issues this year are:
Jan 1, 2010
July 12, 2010
July 31, 2010

This is getting very annoying. Calls to DIDs on the London server just get dead air and fail-over options to voice-mail don't work.

Update May 5, 2010:

I have changed my Reliability rating from 80% to 100%. As I live in Europe I mostly use the London server.

During the second half of 2009 there were some problems with the London server so 1-2 times a month inbound and outbound calls failed despite the device continued to be registered. Calls to the Voicemail resulted in the "Comedian mail" voice. Every time I notified VoIP.ms the problem was fixed within 4-5 minutes. Due to those outages I rated "Reliability" to 80%.

The support staff promised to fix the problems permanently. It is now 4 months since the last outage so I think it is safe to assume the problems have been fixed permanently. Thus I have upgraded my Reliability rating to 100%.

------

As I live in the European Union my experience with VoIP providers may be different from those living in USA and Canada. Most of my calls are to/from European phones and that makes it more difficult for a North American based VoIP provider to compete.

I found VoIP.ms when I started to read the Voip Tech Chat. For some years I have been using another good US provider as my primary provider but as the sound quality on outbound calls to European destinations has been poor I was looking for another provider for European destinations.

It was the Premium routing which made me to sign up with VoIP.ms. The sound quality on outbound calls to European PSTN destinations is excellent, so good it is actually better than using a POTS phone. Compared to the best VoIP provider in Denmark the sound quality on outbound calls to European destinations with VoIP.ms is a lot better.

For me the sound quality is the most important thing when making the decision which provider to use. Sadly too many providers are only competing on lowest price possible instead of the sound quality. I do not want lower sound quality just to save a half of a cent per minute. That is the reason I only use Premium routing with VoIP.ms. As I only use Premium routing I can't say anything how the Value routing is.

Inbound sound quality is very good but outbound sound quality is a lot better. Due to the good sound quality, server in Europe and the many features I now use VoIP.ms as my primary provider.

The live chat support is a feature I think all VoIP providers should use. The UK server has had problems a few times and I used the live chat support to report the problem. It was a pleasure to use the live chat support and the staff on duty fixed the problem within a few minutes.

I have used the ticket support system only once for a minor request and it took 76 minutes for my request to be handled. I think that was fast considering my request was very minor.

My experience with support has been very good. However I have never asked the support how to configure a device so I have no experience how VoIP.ms handle such support cases.

VoIP.ms has many valuable features, sub accounts and ring groups are features I can't be without now.

I have been using VoIP.ms for only 4 months but that is enough to recommend VoIP.ms for European voip users. IMO VoIP.ms is the best voip provider in Europe and I believe they will have success in Europe.

I know 4 months is a short time for a review but so far I have only good things to say about VoIP.ms. However I have a feeling that my experience with VoIP.ms will be good also in the future.

member for 5.4 years, 2673 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Byzant

@colt.net

Final Rating Dropped to 70 percent

When you posted your final review yesterday, I noticed you gave them a 95 percent rating, but that it is now down to 70 percent.

Do you care to tell us what went wrong? It might help others.

Re: Final Rating Dropped to 70 percent

The previous ratings were way too high and the new ratings are more fair when comparing with competitors like Anveo, Anveo Direct, Callcentric and CWU.

Basically, as Anveo, Anveo Direct, Callcentric and CWU are so much better on Call Quality, Reliability and Tech Support it's wrong to give VoIP.ms the same ratings as them.

Re: Final Rating Dropped to 70 percent

Yes should not overrate and should differentiate but then, it is a mystery to me why you give Callcentric a 100% rating for reliability after the disaster of last fall, which was by no means bad luck and rather a result of deliberate company policies; or why you give 100% for the Anveo web site which even Anveo fans admit needs some work. Wonder why you are so angry at voip.ms. BTW, I am not a voip.ms customer.

Callcentric a 100% rating for reliability after the disaster of last fall

Callcentric did not cause the hurricane Sandy, so I see no reason why their rating should suffer.

100% for the Anveo web site which even Anveo fans admit needs some work

The Anveo website is excellent and works very well, so it deserves a 100% rating. Please remember ratings should not be set based on what other people think.

said by Arne Bolen:

Callcentric did not cause" hurricane" Sandy nor the DDOS, but Callcentric caused , among others, lack of back up and redundancy and disaster preparation/handling other carriers have. Plus I had another smaller issue with them. I use and recommend them but I cannot give them 100 % reliability rating based on MY experience.

On the other hand, their web site is just about the industry standard , something hard to claim about Anveo's.But off course, there is always the possibility that you feel that they are both equally good.

I disagree.
PX Eliezer
join:2013-03-10
Graustark
·Optimum Voice
[Replying to cb14]
said by cb14:

I use and recommend (CallCentric) but I cannot give them 100 % reliability rating based on MY experience.

Exactly.

That's why your reviews should reflect your experiences, and [Arne's] reviews should reflect [his] experiences.

said by PX Eliezer:

Exactly.

It was more the dramatic and sudden change of heart without explanation than anything else which made me look up.

Review by filostrato See Profile

• Location: Sacramento,Sacramento,CA
Good "Pbx-like performance without the learning curve"
Overall "A Telemarketer Killer - with no effort. Solid, dependable service."

·Callcentric
Voip.ms has given me good-sounding, dependable service in the years
I have used it.

Recently, following the suggestion by people on the dslreports
forum, I put in an IVR that, during the day, asks a caller to
enter '1'; if he does, the phone rings, else it hangs up.

The result has been no telemarketers, but regular calls get through;
It is simple but effective.

At night, the IVR changes to asking for an 'extension' to be
entered in order to ring through. That kills any chance of
late-night crank calls.

Family and friends whose callerids are whitelisted get through
without having to enter anything.

I believe Voip.ms is working on automatic failover, which will make
them just about perfect.

Comments:

Review by smackYYZ See Profile

• Location: Brampton,ON
Good "Ported my home phone from Bell to voip.ms. They had a free port promo which was great, and they had it ported in under 10 days. "
Bad "Nothing yet"
Overall "glad I moved! saving over $500/year"

voip.ms seems to be growing as they are constantly upgrading their servers and adding servers to their distributed network. When ever there are any outages or planned maintenance you get timely email notifications, which is great.

I sure love going from 52/month with Bell, to 0.99 + calltime @ 0.012/minute. Which for my household never exceeds $4.00 month. Now I've not used any of their hosted pbx functions since I run my own ip-pbx.

Comments:

Review by Malor See Profile

• Location: Chattanooga,Hamilton,TN

·EPB Fiber Optics
The tl;dr: fantastic service for smart people. It will probably take you at least several hours to bring a phone up for the first time, if you don't already know VOIP. It took me most of a day, and that was after a few hours, scattered over several days, getting a broad overview of how it worked. But, in exchange, it's a buck a month and a penny a minute, or $5/mo for 3000 minutes. I don't use the phone that much, so the penny plan suits me very well.

The long version: this is intended as a service for people who already understand VOIP. If, like me, you're a computer guy, starting from scratch, you will need to burn some brain cells figuring this stuff out. VOIP is extremely flexible and powerful, and voip.ms exposes most of that power to you, so there's a LOT of options to sort through and think about. Plus, there's a fair bit of jargon to try to parse.

I bought a Grandstream GS-DP715 phone for $62; today it's $58 at Amazon. It works very well, and I really like the phone; it's a slim cordless, longer and thinner than a standard cell phone, and it uses AA NiMH batteries, which it comes with. So it's super easy to buy new batteries when they wear out, and you can presumably use alkalines in a pinch. (just don't recharge them!)

Overall, configuration wasn't really *hard*, but there are a lot of steps and a lot of settings to adjust to bring up a new phone. I had to create a 'subaccount', linked to my main account, and have the phone log into that account... this is related somehow to setting up a Ring Group (having multiple phones ring at once), but I'm not sure why. I may add a Snom desk phone eventually, so I figured I'd get it ready now. I needed to allocate a DID (this is jargon for 'a phone number') in my area code, and then link that DID to the ring group. I had to activate voicemail, and link the subaccount to the voicemail. There was much more, but I've already forgotten a bunch of what I did.

There are A LOT of settings. Some stuff is related to your global account, some stuff to subaccounts (like ring groups), some stuff to the DID, some stuff to voicemail. For a non-VOIP guy, figuring out where to look was basically impossible, so I had to look at everything, and think about every entry. I think this will be true for most computer people. Fortunately, the site has nice popup help balloons that do an excellent job of explaining what things are; without the help bubbles, I'd have been lost. And they have a wiki, which has some good solid documentation as well.

Then I had to get the Grandstream connected. This part actually wasn't too hard. The first thing I did was to update the firmware; the revision that came with the phone was way, way out of date. Configuration was mostly looking through several pages of stuff I didn't want to change, just a couple of things that needed tweaking, and then configuring the last page with the SIP server names and username/password. Just like with the website, I had to look at every entry, and think about what it meant, but I didn't actually need to change much at all. Updating the firmware was probably the hardest part.

Then I rebooted it, and things started working. I had some problems with call quality for the first day or two, but then they moved the server I had been trying to a different IP address, and then later sent a message that the OTHER server in my area was having problems, and that they'd fixed it. Since then, call quality has been outstanding, very similar to a corded phone. It's much better than most cells. And I have five millisecond latency to my main server. Seriously. (it's 35ms to the backup.)

The service requires a $25 minimum deposit. They'll refund every penny if you cancel within a few days, and then after that they'll refund the remaining balance of your account if you close down service. I believe they require the $25 so that they don't get eaten up by transaction fees. The pay-as-you-go plan is either a buck or a buck-fifty a month for a DID (phone number); it's a dollar in my area. Usage is one cent per minute, charged both ways. If you're using the phone, whether you received or called, you're paying for it, but it's still quite cheap. They bill in six-second increments in the US, so short calls may not even cost you a whole cent. If you're a heavy user, you can buy 3000 minutes for $5/mo. You can connect two phones with a basic account, and you can pay for as many more as you want.

This is a great damn deal, if you're willing to dive in and get technical. It's up to you, mostly, to make your service work, but the quality seems excellent, and the pricing is amazing. A telephone is now costing me $2/mo, instead of $35.

Comments:
Rendering

join:2013-01-12
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

Strange Review

I am not a computer guy and it took me about 15 minutes to figure out that voip.ms actually allowed me to do something with an incoming call other than to have it ring a telephone. It would not have taken me that long except that 60 years of having a Bell residential line tends to narrow your perspective a bit as to what is possible with a phone.

Once I realized that, the rest of the control panel fell into place and handling calls was easy.

Yet you give them a 62 percent rating, which drags them down and makes newcomers who glance at the ratings think they are not worth trying out.
Malor

join:2011-09-26
Chattanooga, TN

Re: Strange Review

I think my rating, given my experience so far, is both fair and accurate. If my problems with voice quality don't resurface, I might raise some of the ratings a little, but I think, overall, what I said is fair.

It *is* a 62% service, at least for noobs, but it's two bucks a month.

edit to add: I'm not willing to lie about subcomponents of the overall rating to try to jack the total number up. Other people are apparently willing to, trying to manipulate the headline number by misrepresenting the service. That's not my thing.

Parmesan

@artnet.pl

Re: Strange Review

Your numbers do not make sense. You give them 100 percent overall but lower scores for individual items.

Deselect all items except "value for money", and make that whatever you think they are worth overall.
ajeff

join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT
·Fairpoint Commun..

Try an Obi XXX

I have an Obi 110 and a refurb Uniden Dect 6.0 wired/cordless setup w/4 extensions and it works like a charm. With Obi, virtually no setup is necessary and I have Voip.ms, Googlevoice, and a landline operating out of the single Uniden. Cheap and effective.
Malor

join:2011-09-26
Chattanooga, TN

Re: Try an Obi XXX

said by ajeff:

With Obi, virtually no setup is necessary

Maybe not on the Obi, but there's a crapload of stuff you have to do on the site.
ajeff

join:2007-07-30
Orleans, VT
·Fairpoint Commun..

Minimal setup - Period...

The Obi has scripts for setting up all of the popular VOIP providers. After entering the baisc info on the Voip.ms site Obi does the rest. Of course if you avail yourself of all the extras available w/voip.ms it is rightly more complicated but for basic phone service, couldn't be simpler using the Obi.
Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Re: Minimal setup - Period...

Your post may give me the courage to try again. My phone needs are as basic as possible. Two years ago I registered with voip.ms and bought an Obi, hoping to dump the $35/mo Internet phone charge I was (and am still) paying.
Just couldn't get it going. Too frustrating.
===
edit: could you please provide a link? Can't believe voip.ms has no search box.

Review by badgett See Profile

• Location: Ames,Story,IA
Good "Solid service."
Overall "Could not ask for better service or more features."

Update August 24 2013
What can I say except that Voip.Ms just keeps delivering the
goods: I pick up the phone knowing there will be a dial tone; I
dial a number 4000 miles away and the phone rings loud and clear
and I talk with someone for an hour and pay less than 60 cents for
the call; or I dial an extension and talk for nothing to someone
using one of my sub-accounts.

The server I am using has never had a down time to my knowledge;
no call has been interrupted or gone down; the sound quality is
not always quite up to that of a local POTS connection, but is
never tiring or irritating.

There are so many ways to strain out telemarketers that they are a
thing of the past.

The IVR makes it possible to interact with the caller, allowing for
call-handling that is extremely flexible. Even aside from the IVR, I do
not think any residential provider except Anveo has such a wide range of
call-handling options. It is a bit like having a gui-based pbx.

And for all this, it is one of the less-expensive voip providers.

Original Review
Using voip.ms for several months. I love the sub-accounts and set one up for a relative using a spare pap2t that I had.

She just has to dial an extension to ring my phone and I do the same to ring hers. No cost calling across 2000 miles.

No problems with the service. No down time I know of and my relative calls all over the place with no problems.