voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by N9MD See Profile

• Location: Boca Raton,Palm Beach,FL
Good "Awesome feature set, totally stable service"
Bad "Er-r-r-r-r-r-r ... I can't think of any."
Overall "Value for money should be rated 150%"

4/12/14---
We having been using Voip.ms for some time now as the primary household number in our New Jersey residence. There have been no problems whatsoever. The feature set continues to amaze me ... especially selective call blocking, SMS, uploading personalized recordings which can be assigned to answer specific incoming individual or blocks of CallerIDs. And the savings over our long ago Landline with Verizon basic service have proven to be well worth the switch to VoIP in general.

7/9/13---
UPDATE: I must be lucky. I've had no problems in my server selections ... while the service and feature set continues to be awesome. The recent addition of SMS texting capability is greatly appreciated and works well.

5/25/12---
UPDATE: Continues to supply me with awesome VoIP service, features and support ... not to mention very reasonable PAYG pricing..

11/27/11---
UPDATE: No changes to add to my previous raving reports for this awesome VoIP offering. Feature-wise, it appears to top the list of all of the VoIP providers we discuss in the BBR Forums ... but only by a tiny fraction over my other favorite ... too small a degree to differentiate in my 100% ratings for both.

04/29/11
Update: Voip.ms continues to be one of my favorite and steadfast providers in all aspects ... but most awesome is their Feature Set. Two examples:
(1) adding PhoneBook entries is pure simplicity;
(2) adding to the BlackList (otherwise known as CallerID Filtering or Call Blocking) ... using wild cards if necessary ... is also an easy task.

The website aIlows customers to post suggestions for improving features and functionality ... and Voip.ms listens!

12/15/10
End of year update: Value for money continues to be incredible with my PAYG accounts. Quality, Reliability and Support are top notch as well. Web portal changes within the past year have greatly improved navigation among the various settings and options, especially once one gains some familiarity through experimentation. The Feature Set offerings, in my opinion, are not exceeded by any other competitor in the VoIP field ... and these features are what should make "Value for money" a 150% rating.

My original slight downgrade for "ease of installation" has been boosted ... considering the subsequent ease with which I was able to set up each new Voip.ms account on different PAP2T-NAs (at different locations). I realized that the PAP2 settings are the same as I would use with most other providers ... it was the confusion over selecting the correct server site on the server side and in the PAP2 ... and the concept of "sub-accounts" that engendered my initial dismay.

For users with low to moderate monthly minutes, the PAYG plan combined with the other factors noted above makes Voip.ms an excellent choice, paying very low per minute charges for incoming (1�/min or 1.49�/min) and outgoing (1.05�/min) calls ... plus 99� or $1.49 per month ... with optional E911 for $1.50 per month. They offer a so-called "unlimited" (capped at 3500 minutes) monthly plan for incoming calls at $4.95 or $6.95 per month ... but outgoing calls are still charged by the minute.

Clarification: The two prices shown for per minute (incoming) and monthly charges depends on the rate center selected (AreaCode/Exchange).

Caveat: If one ports in a number, the per minute and monthly fees may be set at the higher rate shown above. (A message to Customer Service will most likely get the per minute charges reset to the lower rate.)

5/7/10
With the recent changes (all for the better) in the web portal, I've got to boost my web-site rating.

3/28/10
For a relative newcomer (them not me), Voip.ms has raced to the top in service, reliability, features ... and amazing value. Their PAYG plan is very, very reasonable (cheap!) They don't surprise you with add-on charges, fees, taxes. They have an awesome selection of "pick your own" phone numbers in an easy to search format.

I have found the Call Quality and Reliability and Tech Support to be outstanding. Aside from the superb value, I am so impressed with their features ... especially the CallForwarding, BlackListing, DISA, and other "manipulations" they allow for dealing with incoming and outgoing calls.

The only downside is the totally confusing Web Site. It takes me 10 to 20 minutes at times to make a simple change in my account/subaccount because of the absence of an intuitive setup for their scores of options. I have to go through a bunch of pages just to find out which SIP proxy I am using for my PAP2 ... or to make a simple call forwarding change. One has to add a new potential CallForwarding number on one page and then find the correct page to activate the forwarding. I'd like to see them fix this.

Incidentally, confusion over the SIP-proxy and the use of subaccounts can cause frustration when trying to register an ATA. Support quickly gave me the answers to my problem ... but a more intuitively designed site would have been appreciated.

member for 8.5 years, 3253 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by erfans See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Lots of features. Easily edit and access settings / CDR online."
Bad "A few hiccups here and there."
Overall "It's time you switch over to VoIP technology."

·TekSavvy Cable
Love it! I just wish there was an actual invoice (bill/statement) with your call log that you can print off like one provided by other mainstream telephone companies.

member for 5.5 years, 807 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Free?

How is FreePhoneLine free? They charge $100 to "activate" your phone and/or $50 to "unlock" VOIP.

Re: Free?

If I am not mistaken, the $100 activation comes included with:
1. Pre-configured VoIP ATA (I purchased PAP2T for $56)
2. FreePhoneLine ATA account

If you already have an ATA like many others I would assume, then it would only cost you $50 to setup an account (unlock) with FreePhoneLine. It is free in a sense that once you receive your account info (unlock key), then it becomes free for as long as you want. I pay no less than $10 monthly for VoIP.ms. Obviously, FPL would be "FREE" for me after five months with them.

Also, if you don't intend on using an ATA, then FPL is ABSOLUTELY FREE. I already have a number with them and I plan on using it with my cell as I will be getting a new cell phone with unlimited incoming

crazyk4952
join:2002-02-04
united state
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter

NAT

It sounds like you might be having a NAT issue. You may want to adjust your registration time to something below 5 minutes. If you continue to have problems with your phone not ringing, then you should open a support ticket with voip.ms OR start a new thread in the VOIP Tech Chat forum.

Re: NAT

Thank you for your response. My register is set to expire after 180 seconds. I am already in touch with voip.ms support. Phone not ringing is very rare and does not occur often. However, I am very frustrated about other issues such as phone disconnecting the moment I pick it up. There are other minor issues as well such as 1 second silences during calls and perpetual sounds every few seconds during calls. It sounds as though a button has been pressed but it does not have a beep sound to it. I have checked my DTMF and tried mango's suggestions on his blog and it did not work. I am also experiencing huge packet loss on some calls. Hence why I think this is a problem with my router and not necessarily voip.ms. I will open up a thread here if voip.ms support cannot provide me with a feasible solution. Thank you once again for your response.
borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state

voip.ms customer portal loads quickly now.

said by erfans:

I should mention that their website loads extremely slow for me all the time. Sometimes, it really frustrates me at how slow it is. For this reason, I am giving their website a rating of two.

Try it now. It looks to me like voip.ms has fixed the slowness issue. If you agree, you might consider updating your rating for their website.

Canada

Re: voip.ms customer portal loads quickly now.

You're correct. Review has been updated. Thank you!

Review by fizzboz See Profile

• Location: Park,Gove,KS
Good "Easily the best residential voip provider on the planet"
Overall "Keeps working even in a Blizzard"

April 7 2014
I can only repeat that the amazing IVR lets me shunt calls exactly where I want them to go, when I want them to go there; the SMS feature gives me an easy way to get messages to family members within seconds, and without requiring them to interrupt what they are doing other than to read the short text. Reliability has been absolute and sound is excellent except when the other end is using a flaky cell phone.

I know that voip.ms can not go down, not with 12 geographically dispersed servers, any one of which can do the job.

For 1 cent/minute incoming or outgoing, $1/month for the DID, $1.50 for 911, it is hard to believe you would get so much, but there it is.

January 19 2014
Nothing new, could not be happier. I keep a second vosp handy as a backup but never need to use it. Incoming using the IVR to tell callers to press 1 to ring through means no telemarketers get through and no human caller gets blocked. The SMS feature works like a charm, letting me type messages on my pc's keyboard rather than on the mini-keyboard of the smartphone.

When they finally put in answer confirmation, Voip.Ms will be perfect.

February 20
Thought I would update the review. Nothing new really; the phone rings and I pick it up and have clarity like I used to get when I had a POTS line that cost 10 times what voip.ms does; I dial a number and talk for an hour with a relative in a distant land and it costs me 70 cents; occasional 2am calls show up in the log but never ring the phone because of the callerid handling; relatives call from their phone and ring through any time; if they call from another phone, the IVR prompts them to enter a PIN; they enter it and ring through.

An amazing technology which costs me 1.05 cents per minute for calls in the US and Canada, and .007 cents per minute for calls to London last time I checked.

November 20
Voip.ms coninues to sound good and route calls exactly the way I want. It is also as reliable as they come.

During the blizzard, voip.ms kept going because they had a generator, and when it ran out of fuel they still kept going because they had a mirror of the New York sever at one of their off-site locations (they have 10 or more of them).

What a company! When other providers keel over in the snow, voip.ms keeps its users connected.

Good sound, reliability, tons of features, prices that are among the *cheaper* ones, believe it or not.

=+=+=
Great service. Reliable and good-sounding. It is like having a
landline phone without the expense, and with features that would
cost hundreds of dollars per month if Bell even offered them.

You can not get a bigger bang for your buck than with Voip.Ms.

Comments:

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

Glad you like it........

Glad you like it, but the hurricane comment is a low blow.

2 edits

Great service

Still a great service after two years. Convince three friends of mine to switch to Voip.ms. They are all very satisfied.

Review by jlk440 See Profile

• Location: Romney,Hampshire,WV
Good "High quality at low cost, BYOD"
Bad "Setup isn't ideal for non-technical types"
Overall "Happy user since 2012"

This has been my first VoIP experience, not counting Grand Central/Google Voice. I wanted BYOD and I did not want to pay for 911, since I'm already covered for that. I like how I can choose my DIDs from their lists of available numbers, and I have two. Initially I chose Premium routing for outbound calls, and last fall voip.ms made Premium the standard for domestic calls at the same price they previously charged for Value routing, a penny a minute. I don't make a lot of calls, but I wanted good quality. I'm using a Cisco SPA303 phone. I've also helped two friends get voip.ms setups, one with a PAP2 ATA, the other with a Cisco SPA303 again. I recommended voip.ms to a local non-profit using Asterisk, and it's been working well for them (perhaps a dozen lines). Summer 2013 voip.ms added servers in Washington, DC, which is near my location, and they're hosted by Softlayer/IBM. So overall it works as a very solid and professional service at low cost, well matched to my needs.

member for 5.3 years, 151 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by vitesse See Profile

• Location: Saint-Jean-Sur-Richelieu,QC
Good "price, quality, feature"
Bad "give me time to find something...."

This is definitively something everyone should try.

Technical support seem good so far.

Price is unbeatable. 30 to 80 time less expensive than Bell Canada, my local phone company.

I now use 60mbps download, 10mbps upload cable connection from ElectronicBox. Every call seem to have consistent quality.

After 6 month of test, waiting Bell contract to expire, I ported my phone number with them. It took 7 day and it has been a smooth transition. I now have two phone number, but will keep the one I bought to try Voip.ms for testing or disa purpose

Probably not for everyone as you have to configure your system yourself.

For almost a year now I use Siemens C610a-ip phone system. The sound quality is unbeatable in HD and G711U. It's simpler to use and don't need the twisted pair telephone line that is inside house anymore.

member for 11.3 years, 1883 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by ajhaji See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Tons of features, unlimited sub-accounts, very reasonable prices."
Bad "No automatic failover, reliability improving but still not the greatest."
Overall "A cheap, full-featured provider that has a few reliability issues."

·Anveo
·Bell Sympatico
·Bell Fibe
I've been a VoIP.ms customer for many years.

VoIP.ms has one of the most full-featured offerings I've seen. Other companies like Anveo may offer more features, but Anveo's confusing control panel is a bit of a turn-off. I am a big fan of VoIP.ms' control panel.

VoIP.ms is definitely for those who know what they're doing with VoIP. It's a BYOD provider, which means you need to bring your own VoIP device, such as an ATA or a SIP phone. You can create unlimited sub-accounts, which is a huge benefit of the service. That means you can have unlimited phones and ATAs configured to a single VoIP.ms account, all sharing the same phone numbers.

Call quality is quite good. Using the G.711 codec it sounds better than any landline I've ever used. I have noticed, however, that certain servers sound better than others. Audio quality on the Chicago server is notably richer than on the Montreal-2 server. (Those are the only 2 servers I've tested extensively.)

VoIP.ms' tech support has been very responsive the few times I've had to use them.

Over the past couple of years I've experienced some reliability concerns with their service. In the last several months, however, things seem to be improving, and I have bumped the reliability score up one notch. In the past, I've experienced intermittent issues with incoming calls to Canadian DIDs (callers receive a fast busy tone, or calls are dropped seconds after being answered), and intermittent issues with the Toronto and Montreal servers.

VoIP.ms needs to implement automatic POP failover ASAP. They offer dozens of servers across the world, but if the server you happen to be on is having issues, you're dead in the water. Once they implement DNS SRV, your ATA will be able to automatically fail over to a working server. Then, on their end, they need to set up a system that automatically routes your incoming calls to whichever server you're connected to.

member for 12.1 years, 3734 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

Excellent review.

Thanks for an outstanding and objective review of this fine provider.

XANAVirus
join:2012-03-03
Lavalette, WV

Re: Excellent review.

Agreed.

·CIKTEL Telecom

Yes ... there is a failover feature ... a darn good one!

Nicely done review ... but Voip.ms certainly does have a classy failover feature.

• Under the DID Numbers option, click on Manage DID(s).
• Put a check-mark in the box on the line you wish to edit.
• Click on Edit Selection - All Settings at Once.
• In the left column next to the Additional Failover Options, click on Click here to display.

This presents three failover situations:
1) Routing if destination busy.
2) Routing if destination unreachable.
3) Routing if destination no answer.

The options within each of these failover situations are many, allowing forwarding to a SIP sub-account, IVR, Calling Queue, Call Forwarding to another DID (PSTN, Cell, VoIP), Call Forwarding to a SIP-URI, Ring Group, Pre-recorded Message, DISA, Voicemail, or Call Rejection (hangup, busy signal, "number not in service", "number disconnected".

Keep in mind that failover does not work when the problem is at the VoIP provider's end or its upstream provider (CLEC). Failover kicks in when the VoIP provider's server cannot complete the connection to the end-user's ISP or the home's/business' connection.

ajhaji
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON

Re: Yes ... there is a failover feature ... a darn good one!

This is true. However, the issues I was experiencing *were* at the VoIP/CLEC level, so any failover options I set in the control panel wouldn't have helped at all.

·CIKTEL Telecom

Re: Yes ... there is a failover feature ... a darn good one!

said by ajhaji:

We are on the same page ... but do we also agree that no VoIP provider can provide failover under the circumstance you have presented.

Some VoIP providers do have the ability to switch their end-users from one server to another during a VoIP provider's "server down" situation ... but in general usage this does not come under the specific title of failover In fact, that's why most providers recommend using a SIP-URI rather than an IP address. This allows them to redirect end-users from one server to another effortlessly ... assuming the provider recognizes the server failure.

[I post this stuff knowing that Andrew and other knowledgeable posters are aware of the technology under discussion ... but lurking newbies might benefit from this information.]
Bamit

join:2001-06-25
Bushnell, FL

Best VOIP service I've used.

I've been using voip.ms for about 2 years now, and I've never had a problem. The service so far as been great and the quality of connections (for me) has been no different then that of a typical POTS line. No jitter, lag etc.
As far as a fail-over, they have servers in several cities. My primary is in Tampa, and my secondary is in Atlanta. So far, I've never needed to use any other.
You cant beat the price either. Can't comment on the technical support, because I've not needed it yet, but I can say that they stay in contact via email if they have any scheduled maintenance that may affect my service.

Review by amd64now See Profile

• Location: Orleans,ON
Good "Low prices, good support and call quality"
Bad "No option for unlimited outgoing local plan or unlimited outgoing north america"
Overall "This is your best BYOD choice for voip service"

·Anveo
Update: 20 March 2014

I did leave voip.ms in Jan 2013 due to some issues with inbound calls such as busy signals and some of the issues with the servers.

However, I did return some phone numbers back to voip.ms over a month ago and I have to say I am extremely happy. The Toronto servers are very stable and I have no complaints with calls inbound or outbound.

Support is free with unlimited tickets and live-chat. Toll-free calls are free with value outbound. My Canadian outbound with premium is 0.01. There are a number of benefits to voip.ms and I think they are back to the levels of excellence I knew when I first joined them.

Update: 01 Aug 2012

voip.ms still remains one of the best Canadian voip providers. Still with them and still saving money.

Original review 2011:
============================================================
I have used voip.ms for a few years for North America long distance purposes. I have been very happy with the quality. As they continued to provide great quality, low prices and support, I moved my home phone service completely to voip.ms after 16 years of Bell landline service.

As many previous reviewers indicated, they provide multiple points of presence giving you, the customer, the choice to pick the best quality connection from you to the server. I like to see the latency and trace route numbers to ensure I have a good connection to the server.

The support response from tickets and live chat has been excellent. I do like the fact they have live chat. This has been discussed on the forums here and I think it is great to raise an issue I might have in real time. You have the option to get a transcript on the end of the chat session. Ticket response has been always within 24 hours or less. I additionally love the fact voip.ms "lurks" around on these forums. Some have posted poor customer support and voip.ms representatives here deal with the issues immediately.

My only bad point if you can call it that. No option for unlimited outgoing. I think both pay as you go and unlimited offerings would give customers more options. Like a mortgage, some like variable some like fixed.

Overall, one of the best Canadian voip providers you will find for price value, support and call quality. I will be sure to keep my review updated.

Comments:

Review by ArizonaSteve See Profile

• Location: Apache Junction,Pinal,AZ
Good "Call quality is good, line noise is low and touch-tones work."
Bad "Poor phone support and tech support are idiots!"
Overall "Good Option if you have a phone that's easy to setup or a softphone"

After running out of patience with Sipgate because I could never receive calls, the outgoing line was noisy and the their webpage is usually down I decided to try voip.ms. It has good reviews, looks easy to setup and doesn't have a lot of extra charges like Callcentric. It only looks easy to setup because their sample setting are missing a lot of information though and some of the settings are wrong. They show a 0 in place for the Outbound Proxy Server but the phone says NO SERVICE if that is not entered correctly. This is in contrast to the sample settings at Callcentric that shows screen shots of the actual phone setup screen with all the server names filled in, even the backup registrar and backup proxy server. None of the samples tell which settings are required and which are optional but the backup servers don't need to be entered for the phone to work. Since the phone was already setup for Sipgate and they use the same ports all I had to do was change the server names for voip.ms. When I was able to call the phone successfully I thought it was working but then I found that I couldn't call out. Every number I tried, even the 4443 test number, gave a busy signal and said Call Failed! I found that if I enter the port number at the end of the Registrar Server, like dallas.voip.ms:5060, the phone could answer calls but not call out. If I put in just the server name without the port number on the end the phone can call out but not answer. In the settings example they suggest putting the port number at the end to make registration work better but don't say it only works one way. There doesn't seem to be any setting for the phone that will work properly with voip.ms. After 2 days of trying every setting configuration and sending about 40-50 emails to voip.ms tech support this is still not resolved. Their tech support is responsive but doesn't seem to have a clue about how anything works. They keep telling me to remove the server name from the Outbound Proxy setting but then the phone has No Service. Once they even told me to try using a different server like dallas instead of losangeles. One problem with this is that if you change the server settings on the phone you also have to change them on their web site or it won't work.

You'd think they would know which of their servers was working but I guess not. I don't really understand how voip.ms got so many good reviews if they can't make and receive calls on the same phone but when I tried a softphone like Zoiper on the PC it did work correctly so maybe everyone else is just using a PC or smart phone app to call. My phone is an Aastra 9133i with the latest firmware but I also tried setting up a Cisco 7940. I found their settings example didn't match anything I saw on the Cisco so I didn't get anywhere with that.

After a week of trial and error settings I was finally able to get the phone working properly. My phone has 3 pages of configuration settings that have to be set correctly or it won't work. The manual tells a little about what each setting does but there's no way to know what works with voip.ms and some of the setting have values from zero to 240 million! It wasn't as hard as configuring the AT&T PBX's at work but still hard.

Voip.ms's website always shows the phone to be Registered as long as it's Ethernet cable is plugged in but doesn't show if it's actually working and there is no way to test it except to call it each time. Sipgate was better in that regard and showed when the phone was offline. They also had a way to place a test call from the site. I've contacted voip.ms several times about the lack of phone support and the example settings which are incomplete and wrong but they refuse to fix anything.

On the plus side the call quality is very good, line noise is low and touch-tones work to enter numbers correctly, unlike Sipgate. On a scale of 1-5 stars I would give voip.ms 4 stars now since I can call out with no problems and receive calls once the phone was setup properly to work with their service. I would have to ding them on setup problems, poor phone support and poor tech support though. Also, you have to pay them $25 for credit to get started and buy a number but they have numbers in most locations and take Paypal.

Update 3/17: The service has been going off line for a few minutes most evenings between about 8 and 10 pm. Since I've been getting a lot of updates in email about server problems I changed to a different server to see if it helps the problem.

Also, I picked up a Cisco SPA502G and have been trying to get it to work without any success. As usual tech support is totally useless. You'd think a service that depends on a lot of configuration would have useful examples of how to do that but their example for provisioning a phone only has about 10 settings in text form but the Cisco has 8 pages of settings! Other companies like 3CX and Asterisk have pretty good examples showing how to provision the phone but VOIP.MS does not! I've tried contacting tech support several times but all they can say is to follow the example and seem to be total morons! I don't believe they even have anyone there who has even seen a phone much less knows anything about setting one up! I was able to configure the 3 pages of setting for my Aastra phone before with a lot of trial and error but that hasn't worked for the Cisco since it has way too many settings.

Comments:

suppafly
join:2009-11-27
·Cablemas

3 recommendations

Regarding your review

Hello Stephen

You opened an account with us on may 25th. On may 26th you opened one support ticket (which is your only support ticket, and which received a reply from our tech support in less than 10 minutes after you opened it on saturday afternoon).

We kept discussing with you about the issues you report (you mentioned you had issues too with other providers such a sipgate).

Now it is monday, 3 days after you opened the account, and you place a very negative review. As a BYOD provider we offer the support to help customer´s diagnose any issues happening on their side, we are sad to see your negative comments with your very limited (72 hours) experience with the service.

We do have the tools to diagnose any issues and in this case the issue does not seem in our side but in the configuration on your side.

We could run a live trace too to see what information we receive from your telephone, however if after 3 days you have given up on our service, then we wish you best of luck with your future provider, and hopefully you will show them more cooperation if you encounter an issue with them too.

Regards,
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms

Re: Regarding your review

suppafly, I saw in the other reviews that you were also combative with them and tend to blame the customer for your problems there too. Your techs are responsive but were never any help since they don't seem to know anything about how a phone works. All they ever did was tell me to change the Outbound Proxy Server to zero which don't work and to try a different server like dallas instead of losangeles, which did nothing or use a softphone app. I suggest you watch your mouth and stop insulting customers if you want to stay in business.
Also, if they really do have tools to diagnose any issues then why don't they use them?
PX Eliezer7
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
·callwithus
·Optimum Voice
·Vitelity VOIP

2 recommendations

Puzzling

If you had problems both with Sipgate and Voip.MS, it is likely that something in your own router or phone is to blame.

I have used Voip.MS with several different types of ATA's and also with a Gigaset A580IP phone, and never had the type of problems that you describe.

This is the experience of large numbers of people, as evidenced by the large majority of reviews. It's too bad that it couldn't work out for you.

---------------

As for CallCentric, your statement that they have "a lot of extra charges" is simply false.

The only difference between CallCentric and Voip.MS in terms of what fees are charged is that CallCentric follows the FCC and CRTC rules regarding 911 service for US and Canadian customers, while Voip.MS still somehow considers it optional. And if you have a CallCentric flat-rate outbound calling plan (500, 1000, or Unlimited) there is no separate 911 fee.

Both companies charge setup fees for new numbers, etc.

CallCentric does NOT charge the extra fees imposed by many other US providers, such as Federal USF fee, state and local tax fee (except NY tax for NY residents), regulatory compliance fee, or an intellectual property fee (Vonage has that one).

---------------

Honestly, if you dislike both Voip.MS and CallCentric, you will never be happy with any BYOD provider.
Expand your moderator at work
florid63

join:2008-08-05
Saint-Leonard, QC

1 recommendation

Re: Puzzling

I started using voip.ms a few months ago, and recently I ported my number to them. With a lot of patience and advice seeking, I moved from the level of complete ignorant in VOIP, to fairly informed user. Personally I managed to oil up my voip.ms service to be functional and satisfactory (porting my home number to them says something). However I could not stop noticing that the OP had posted reviews for a many telecomm services, and by scrolling through the overall ratings he gave (without reading the full reviews) I noticed all of these are negative. Without ignoring the possibility that the OP just had a ton of bad luck with all of them, I believe that some people are either not taking the time to make things work, or are simply hard to satisfy no matter what. Sorry but these are just my 2 cents.

To ArizonaSteve

You simply don't know what you are doing. There service is perfect.

As I said, you have to know what you are doing to use their service!

Re: To ArizonaSteve

LanAdmin, it's far from perfect. No VOIP service can ever be perfect due to the unstable condition of the internet in general. Their setup instructions for phones are incomplete, with missing info and some entries that are wrong.
Tech support doesn't know anything about phones and was no help with any problems. Also, I didn't mention it before but their web site has problems too. It's not down a lot like Sipgate but it takes a full minute to open a page when I want to check any settings. I dunno what it's doing all that time, it doesn't seem to be doing anything for a long time then pops up about a minute later, which is weird. Also, their message page for tech support tends to crash after several messages and gives me a Server Error message. Fortunately the messages are mirrored in email and can be read and answered there instead of the support page.
Perhaps when the service gets working it will be OK.

·ELECTRONICBOX

Re: To ArizonaSteve

You definitely have some problems with your installation. Their instructions are not missing anything. "Outbound Proxy" must be empty. You have to follow »wiki.voip.ms/article/Devices

It takes less than 2 seconds to log in my account, 9 seconds to get full "Registration Status" of my 5 lines. Near instantaneous to display any information in "Account settings". Navigation in menu is fast. I use Cisco SPA2102, codec G711u and you can't tell any difference from a wired line (Bell).

I am using VoIP.ms service since April 2011. I have my home phone line with them. My Internet is speed cable from Electronic Box.
wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD

1 recommendation

Re: To ArizonaSteve

If you follow the Reviewer you would know he has no good Internet connection and his reviews are without merit.

Wait, I make the assumption his Internet connection is poor. That may not be the case. I think we have a classic case of operator error all the way around.

The OP should be banned from making reviews.
Expand your moderator at work

said by LanAdmin:

It's too bad you can leave comments and not know anything about what you are talking about! To say "Their instructions are not missing anything" is idiotic when they just give part of a page of sample settings and the phone requires 3 pages of settings that can range from zero to 240 million without any way to know what values works with their service! The meager sample they have is not correct anyway. I was able to get it working after a week of trial and error experiments though.
RiverMerger

join:2007-12-19
Hinsdale, IL

Take what you want.

said by ArizonaSteve:

Also, you have to pay them $25 for credit to get started and buy a number

You do not have to buy a phone number. You may have chosen to get one. VirtualDiD is .25c a month(hardly worth complaining about) and Inum's are free. Service could just be used for outbound calling with no inbound number at all which is how I use it. I complained silently about the $25 deposit at first but after 2 years of use and still haven't had to replenish account that stopped a long time.

Re: Take what you want.

said by RiverMerger:

said by ArizonaSteve:

Also, you have to pay them $25 for credit to get started and buy a number

It would be pretty stupid to get phone service without a number though wouldn't it?

·CIKTEL Telecom

Actually Voip.ms is awesome (and easy to set up)

Sorry, AzS ... but without my meaning to sound harsh or mean-spirited, your complaints are foolish and ill-founded.

Yes, all ATAs and IP-phones have many pages of settings ... but the good news for those reading your misguided reporting is that very few settings need to be changed in order to successfully register one's VoIP account. Almost all of the setting on the various adapters/IP-phones should be left as they are ... as the default settings!! Usually, the only page that need be modified is the Line registration page (Line 1 and, if available, Line 2). And even on this page, most of the settings are left unchanged. Some devices do call for an altered setting here and there on one or another of the other pages ... but these situations are well-documented by Voip.ms in the Configuration Guides.

The instruction to leave Outbound Proxy blank is clearly shown for every device ... nowhere does it say 'zero'! A proxy is a URL (e.g., atlanta.voip.ms) or an IP address (e.g., 63.247.78.218) representing the provider's server that is handling your account.

Some folks like to play with the Dial Plan to achieve specific solutions for dialing 7- or 10-digit numbers or for other reasons ... but most all devices come with a pre-set generic Dial Plan that will work out of the box.

I am sorry you did not grasp the available information enough to get up and running with VoIP.ms ... given that my multiple accounts and DIDs have been working perfectly since inception ... and the Voip.ms feature set is awesome.

And lastly, you are a registered member of the BBR Forums ... you have had numerous posts in the CenturyLink Forum within the last 180 days ... you took the time to post and subsequently update your Voip.ms review ... and yet you did not once ask for help in the VOIP Tech Chat Forum within the last 180 days!

·Sipgate VOIP

Re: Actually Voip.ms is awesome (and easy to set up)

Your reply is even more foolish. I don't know how anyone can say a phone with 3 pages of blank settings like the Aastra is easy to setup unless they don't know anything about phones and have never done any setups. I don't know why anyone should have visited the VOIP Tech Chat Forum within the last 180 days if they haven't had any problems. I was able to get the Aastra working after about a month of trial and error settings, no thanks to VOIP.MS. Some setting will let you call out but not receive calls while others will let you receive calls but not call out. The Cisco was easier after having done it a few times. Why VOIP.MS can't publish more complete settings like 3CX does I don't know, it can't be that hard to do instead of just leaving us wondering about what they all should be.

jimk
join:2006-04-15
Raleigh, NC

Re: Actually Voip.ms is awesome (and easy to set up)

Direct quote from the VoIP.ms terms of service:

Due to the nature of our offering that allow customers to bring their own device, software, PBX or switch, the customer shall understand that the level of support, and the service offered is intended to customers with a higher technical level.
VoIP.ms is not intended to be a plug and play service. It does require configuration and knowledge of SIP and basic configuration of IP phones. It is not possible to provide exact instructions for every IP phone ever made. All of these settings exist for a reason, as these IP phones are usually used in corporate environments with more complicated needs than the average person needs at home.

If you don't want to worry about this, you would be better off with a VoIP provider that sends out pre-configured devices. An intermediate step would be an OBi ATA and a regular analog phone, since Obihai has a very nice configuration wizard that works with VoIP.ms, Callcentric, and other BYOD providers.

This complexity is not a valid reason to give VoIP.ms a bad review. The service is working as intended - it is very powerful and can do way more than Vonage and other similar services. It serves a completely different customer base, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Review by JoeBtfsplk See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "No problems, no more telemarketers"
Overall "Solid performance and an unbeatable range of features"

Mar 12 2014
Voip.ms continues to do an excellent job. It is so good, so reliable, that it is tempting to take it for granted - like a furnace that you hardly notice but that keeps your home warm and dry in the midst of winter, or a toaster that makes a perfectly browned slice of bread, time after time.

But just try to find in any other voip provider the combination of 99.999 reliability, extensive features and excellent sound that you have with Voip.ms. You won't be able to. Guarantee it.

And not only is Voip.ms's performance extraordinary, it is easy to set up! Really. Once I figured out that an incoming call did not necessarily have to ring the phone, but that other things could be done with it, like forwarding to another number or playing a message or hanging up, I was off to the races, and the menu choices suddenly made simple sense.

Sep 08 2013
Voip.ms is like having a pbx-lite, if what I read here about pbxes is giving me a proper idea of what they do, but requires little or no geek abilities.

I ported my pstn number to them a while ago and the telemarketers have disappeared; I see them in the call logs but the phone never rings when they call. Thanks to the voip.ms IVR, I was able to get rid of the telemarketers with very little effort, using suggestions I found here.

The sound is fine, the responsiveness to questions is excellent and the reliability has been unfailing.

The cost for this? The premium North American service is 1.25 cents/minute for outgoing calls, in 6 second increments, 1 cent/minute for incoming calls; a DID is $1.00/month; optional 911 is $1.50/month.

If you do not need the bells and whistles: the IVR, the Callerid processing, the DISA, the Callback, the Call Forwarding, the Time Conditions, the Sub-Accounts, the Ring Groups, etc., then forget about them and use it as a reliable, very reasonably priced, very easy to set up service.

And if, after a few months, you feel a need to do something about telemarketers or people that call later than you like, the means to fixing the problem are at hand; no need to get a second voip provider: Voip.ms has everything you will need to do the job.

I feel fortunate to have found Voip.ms. An excellent company.

Original Review
I have been using voip.ms for a year or so and have had no problems.

It was easy to set up once I realized that it can do more than deliver an incoming call to your phone and that there are all kinds of ways to move the call around and filter it before the phone rings or does not ring. That is probably more a comment on voip in general compared to pots, but voip.ms certainly has a lot of ways to route the incoming call.

I also use a sub-account with the voip option of my cell phone to make practically free calls from wifi hotspots.

Comments:

emjayef

join:2007-11-25
Pleasant Hill, CA
·Astound Broadband

On my list, too

I'm getting an Obi110 tomorrow, and researching VOIP providers for my long-time landline number. So far, it seems like Anveo has a feature-set I like, but voip.ms is also a consideration - I just haven't found as much info on them. I think we would be fairly low volume, so the cost may be similar, although Anveo has a plan with free incoming calls and E911 service for $2.80/month.

I'm interested in how you stop telemarketers. Can you cut out robo calls easily? Are IVR rules easy to setup?
JoeBtfsplk

join:2013-06-09
Los Angeles, CA

Re: On my list, too

Once you get the gist of them, it is very easy.

To stop robocalls, you make a recording, either with your microphone or using one of the online text to speech sites - www2.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php is a good one.

My recording says 'Enter 1 to ring the phone'

Then upload the recording to voip.ms by going to DID Numbers / Recordings.

Then create the IVR by going to DID Numbers / Digital Receptionist (IVR).

Give the IVR a name, for example: Enter_1

In one of the 'Digits' fields, enter a 1.

Next to that, under Destination, you can have the incoming call go wherever you want it to when the callers enters 1, prompted by your recording.

You probably want to send it to: Main Account SIP/xxxxxx, where 'xxxxxx' is your userid. That will ring the phone.

Under DID Numbers / Manage DIDS, edit your DID and specify Enter_1 under Routing / IVR

Whenever someone calls you, they will hear your recording. If the caller enters 1 your phone will ring. If he does nothing, or anything else, the recording will play twice more and the phone will hang up.

This may sound complicated but it is really pretty easy once you play around with it. The nice thing is that once you learn the drill for routing a call one way, all the other ways you can route it make sense, and you can, for example, send all calls to a Time Condition, so that in the daytime the caller gets the 'enter 1' message, but at night gets 'enter extension' or voicemail or whatever you want to ensure domestic peace.

And you can trump all that by using DID Numbers / CallerID Filtering to whitelist certain numbers.

Review by lni12345 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Eustache,QC
Good "EXCCELLENT"

·ELECTRONICBOX
Très heureux d'être client chez voip.ms. Site web très complet. La ligne à 0,005$ la minute est claire 80% du temps. La ligne à 0,01$ la minute est claire comme celle de bell ou videotron. Rien à voir avec MagicJack ou Nettalk que j'ai essayé pendant trois ans.

Il faut tout de même prendre le temps d'acheter et de programmer son ata, ce qui n'est peut-être pas donné à tout le monde.

Total mensuel: 15$ en moyenne. J'ai une ligne à 1$/mois + 1 ligne à 4,95$ avec appel entrant inclus. Le reste du montant est le coût des appels.

Je suis passé d'une ligne avec videotron avec 0 OPTION à une ligne voip.ms qui inclus TOUTES LES OPTIONS POSSIBLES. Et ça me coûte moins cher!

Thumbs up Voip.ms