voip.ms page on DSLReports

Review by Stojko See Profile

• Location: St John'S,NL
Good "Customizable beyond belief, DIDs in a lot of places, great rates"
Bad "Support can be a bit slow sometimes"
Overall "Beats paying Bell - but basic VOIP knowledge is a must."

The voip.ms administration panel is probably its strongest point - I've never seen anything with that much user-end customization in a long time. The options are endless. This also has a bad side for new/inexperienced users - it's a little daunting at first. Their live chat can probably explain a few things, but you should be familiar with basic VOIP terms/concepts.

Most DIDs in Ontario and Quebec start at $0.99/mo, while rural DIDs and most in other provinces are $1.99/mo. In Canada, they have DIDs in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. There is also a flat-rate incoming option for residential users, but the pay as you go option costs 1.5 cents per minute incoming in Canada.

For outgoing calls, there are two 'routes' - value and premium. I've tried both and honestly for my basic, personal usage value seems fine. If you were making important calls, might be safer to opt for the more expensive premium route but I've had no problems with value. Caller ID seems to always pass correctly, as well. On the value rate, outgoing calls to Canada are 0.5 cents per minute. That gets you an hour of talking for 30 cents.

You can also use it from the PSTN for long distance - for example from your cell phone to convert your long distance calls into 'local' calls. You can set up DISA or callback on one of your DIDs (using caller ID filtering) so that when the number you designate (your cell phone number, for example) calls your DID, it will call you back with a dial tone that allows you to call any number via the voip.ms network. On the value route in Canada, callback will cost 0.5 cents per minute for the call from voip to, in this case, your cell phone + 0.5 cents per minute to your call to Canada. Rates differ to other countries. Essentially, you can get long distance calling within Canada on your cell phone for a mere 1 cent per minute. Compare that to the direct-dialing cost of **40 cents** per minute with Bell Mobility right now.

I wrote 'support can be a bit slow sometimes' as the 'bad' point, but really it's nothing that should steer you away from voip.ms. I find that on weekends sometimes, even though it says support is open, it can be a while before you get a response to a support ticket - and usually it takes a bit of back-and-forth with the customer support team to find a resolution to your problem. With that being said, they are courteous and helpful. There is a toll-free number you can call as well, but not for support questions.

Also, I gave reliability 100% because I have personally never had any reliability problems, but it should be noted that there does seem to be an outage on at least one server quite frequently (you can read the outages in the administration panel). It seems like they usually either fix them quickly or route traffic through another server, so it shouldn't be an issue either. I use the montreal2.voip.ms server and it's always been fine - there are 2 servers in Montreal and 2 in Toronto as well as a multitude of servers in US cities. Note that my usage is not heavy nor 'important' so I wouldn't be affected greatly by server outages or supposed call quality issues on the value route. From my personal experiences it's been perfect - never felt like it was worth paying more for premium.

Comments:

Review by LSTA See Profile

• Location: North York,ON
Good "Cheap rates, informative website"
Bad "Had an issue getting a vanity DID, support was hit-or-miss until now"
Overall "They seem to monitor this site ;-) I'd recommend them anyway."

·Rogers Hi-Speed
This review formerly contained my support conversation where I was trying to get a vanity DID. After about three months where they mistakenly placed emphasis on refunding my account rather than getting me a DID, I'd decided to write a review here and request (in my support ticket) that someone else handle the issue.

Sure enough, within a few short hours, someone new had replied and is working with me on getting a vanity toll-free DID from their US provider. The 1-877 number I had in mind wasn't available, but an alternative 1-888 one was.

I'm pleased so far at the resolution, at least, and I can't wait to begin using the DID. I'll update my review once I have it and begin using it regularly. So far, however, I've had no complaints with outgoing call quality or service, though I haven't used it regularly yet.

Thanks to everyone who's replied to my review below. I've updated the ratings to perhaps more accurately reflect my thoughts, though I haven't that much to compare to so I've kept it at neutral, or 3, for the most part. I'd say a ranking of 0 for tech support was an accurate reflection of my experiences at that moment, though they have improved to 5 since, so let's say it's an average weighted for time.

Comments:

Review by tallship See Profile

• Location: Hermosa Beach,Los Angeles,CA
Good "Excellent Pricing, Great Control Panel, and Very Stable."
Bad "Tech Support goes home at night."
Overall "You can put many eggs in one basket and spread them around various servers."

Yeah that's the one thing. I have to wait up to a day for a new DID to be added. Other than that, the service is excellent, and I've found the servers (at least the ones I've configured to use) stable and responsive.

Sure, there's no flat rate, but the rates are low. Also, there's that nagging problem of having to plan ahead for extra costs when calling cell phones in places like Australia, where we have a huge presence.

I could get flat rate service from FaktorTel (and still pay a 9 cent per connect charge) for cell phones, but after doing the math it would still be (at least for us) more than just paying the very reasonable rates that voip.ms is charging for termination.

They do IAX, but they prominently say all over their site that they recommend SIP - I'm not really sure why. I've used, and do use, both.

Their control panel reeks of comprehensiveness - I like that. Sure, it takes a while before you can get around it easily. Sure, there's a learning curve. But yes, it does pretty much everything you need it to do without having to incur human intervention.

I really like this company, although I don't recommend that anyone put all of their eggs into one basket. So spread your circuits around their various servers, and have failover going to a circuit with another provider, and you'll prolly never need to use that other provider (we use voipjet for failover).

Flat rate, inexpensive, unlimited incoming on their DIDs. I can't complain at all.

VoIP.MS is a good service.

I hope that helps

Kindest regards,

Bradley D. Thornton
Manager Network Services
»NorthTech.EU

Registered Linux User #190795

"This is never going to work. You have to shut it down. Shut it down. Take the whole thing down." - James Allchin.

Comments:

Review by bjlockie See Profile

• Location: Ottawa, DSL
Good "very inexpensive"
Bad "$25 minimum deposit, no phone support"
Overall "good if you've decided on VoIP but not recommended to just try"

·TekSavvy DSL
There is a refund of the unused balance of your first deposit but I think the minimum deposit of $25 is a lot to pony up if you're just trying VoIP.

I tried another company out ($5 minimum deposit) and then switched to voip.ms once I decided on VoIP as a technology.

I will quote crazyk4952 since he makes a good point:
"When I first started with voip.ms, I too was concerned about the minimum payment of $25 to start an account. However, I would rather have a higher minimum payment amount than have higher rates.

Per-transaction fees for smaller transactions can really add up and makes up a significant percentage of the total transaction amount (the less $$ going to the greedy banks, the better). Most people choose voip for cost savings; voip.ms seems to implement policies that help to achieve this.".

They are very inexpensive.

I love they have many servers.
They seem to have a lot of problems with at least one at any time so it is good you can change servers whenever you need to.
I wonder if they only had one or two servers if they'd be more concerned with uptime.

They only have one example configuration but any device is easy to set up.

The initial account setup is done online so that is good.

They do not have 24x7 customer support but they have network support 24x7.
Also urgent customer tickets will be taken care of 24x7.

Comments:

Review by Bogtrotter23 See Profile

• Location: East York,ON
Good "Excellent sound, reliability. Many Features. Cheap, believe it or not."
Overall "Excellent, Feature-laden Service. Versatile, innovative, nobody compares with it"

16 March 2011
Voip.Ms continues its deliberate, well-tested additions to its
service. This time, it has added tools to allow the user to set a
general per/minute limit for costs. If you try to call a number
whose per/minute cost is greater than you have set, the call will
not go through.

The use of this is obvious for anyone with children, or whose phone
may be used by a casual visitor.

Just being able to put a limit on the per minute cost ensures that
nobody can mistakenly dial some expensive destination.

But you can use that with a list of countries/regions that may be
called: You may want to allow a high per/minute limit, but you can
still ensure that the calls will only be made to certain countries.

For me at least, setting the per minute limit is enough to keep my
account from being accidentally emptied.

For people that like to gab, the 6 hours! limit on us48/canadian
calls should hold them. And the 2-hour limit on international calls
should be enough for most people.

To change these settings, go to: Main Menu / Account Settings /
Account Restrictions

It is obvious that this company is not resting on its laurels: that
it continues to innovate in a deliberate way; that it provides
value for every cent you spend with it.

26 February 2011

Voip.ms is a long-standing (as these things go) voip provider with a
dozen or more servers located throughout the US, as well as in
Canada and the UK.

Its hallmark is that of excellent reliability while being perhaps
the most flexible and feature-rich outfit that gets mentioned
around here. When I see some of the sophisticated suggestions for
ways to use certain of its features, it seems almost like a
solution looking for a problem.

I am not one of the more sophisticated users, but even I make use
of its IVR (you get a prompt to enter some number, and then
connect, or are sent to another IVR - typical business voice menu,
but in this case useable by anyone); its time features where a
caller can connect only at certain times of the day or week; the
various forwarding options depending on the caller id of the
caller, or what he entered at the IVR prompt; the ability to give a
caller a dial tone to allow him to call anywhere at voip rates; the
callback feature; loads more.

I should mention in particular the sub-accounts. You can create any
number of these, and each one acts like a regular account and can
be entered into an ATA, to make voip calls. If you have a
far-flung family, each member might have his own sub-account,
and family members could dial each others' phones as if
they were extensions - at no cost.

Their prices are among the lowest: 1/2 cent to Canada; 1.05 cents
to the USA; 7/10 cent to the UK. Regular DIDs range from $1 - $1.49
/ month. Incoming calls are 1 cent / minute.

They bill in 6-second increments, so if you make a short call, you
may pay only a fraction of one minute's charge.

No, it is not hard to set up. The initial setup is easy, and the fancy stuff
can be added as you get used to the options and think of ways to use
them

For me, it just works, and the outages have been so infrequent and
so short, that I feel I can safely count on it to be there when I
want to use it or someone wants to call me.

Comments:

Review by nightshade74 See Profile

• Location: Prattville,Autauga,AL
Good "Great value for the money"
Bad "Very little"
Overall "Great service for the technically inclined"

I've been with them two years now. I've used both IAX trunks and an ATA (SIP).

They have very good call quality and reliability. The few support calls
I've had were handled professionally. The last one was because
CNAM had become unset. They fixed it.

Comments:

Review by Ricktrick See Profile

• Location: Brossard,QC
Good "Money Value, Porting, (DISA), Live chat support"
Overall "Web site is better and better, Learning curve PAP2 install"

I moved to VOIP.ms 3 years ago from Primus (25$ /month) and I recommend this voip provider to all my friends.

I first took a new local DID and test / tweak the service for 2 months. After i was happy with my PAP2 settings i decided to port the Primus number to voip..
The Porting was done in only 2 weeks.

Many useful options,
- The DISA (Direct Inward System Access) let you dial numbers via your VOIP Account from Inbound Calls
- The 'Digital Receptionist' (IVR)

** I am also using a Softphone on my IPHONE 4 to save with long distance and local calls !**

In 3 years, I have saved more than 610$ just with my home line + what i have saved with the Iphone4 Long distance calls...

Thanks VOIP.ms

• Location: Waynesboro,Franklin,PA
Good "Very cheap rates"
Bad "DID numbers do not work!"

After signing up for their service, we only had to wait a day for our new DID numbers to be activated. Unfortunately, they only work when dialed from SOME carriers. When our customers tried to call the DID numbers from a cell phone or some long distance carriers, the calls were not directed to us but instead to a "transcription line." I've tried to contact voip.ms support by way of email, ticketing system, live chat, and phone. It's now been over a week since the lines were activated so it's time to find a new provider. I suppose we know why their rates are so low.

(review was emailed from domain Cermak.com)

Comments:

Review by johnwbyrd See Profile

• Location: Costa Mesa,Orange,CA
Good "Great geek features, cheap as dirt"
Bad "Occasional inbound call routing failures, occasionally slow web site"
Overall "For the money, it's a great bargain"

My setup: I'm using PAP2Ts at my home office and remote office; home office has Time Warner cable; remote office has a slow fractional T1.

Bad news first. Occasionally, as in once a month or so, inbound callers complain that their calls are silently dropped -- no voicemail, no ring, just silence. 98% of the time it works. There's a lot of internet between here and losangeles.voip.ms, so I can't conclusively point the finger at voip.ms for these issues. However, this is probably not a service for lifeline-type alerts.

Good news next. This service is cheap cheap cheap. You can hook it up to your ATA or Asterisk no problem. The web site has an incredible array of features for setting up voicemail trees, complicated call routing, and the like. They don't ding you for setting up multiple accounts and letting different ATAs use the same billing account. If you're of a mind you can resell their service under a while label (haven't tried this).

And the call quality (when it works) is pretty darned good. Calls tend to stutter when the T1 is under heavy use, but that's not voip.ms's fault.

Used this service now for just under 2 years. If I were paying $29.99 for this service per month I'd be more pissed about the dropped calls. But given that this is primarily for home service and these phones aren't under heavy load anyway, I can handle 3 phone numbers and 5 phones for under $10 every month, and the calls work great 98%-99% of the time. That's a good enough deal for me.

Comments:

Review by vrazhanskiy See Profile

Good "Great price, so many features! Great support"
Bad "not a plug and play setup."
Overall "if you are geek you'll love the features and flexibility"

I absolutely love voip.ms. I use one line for home, one for work, my total bill is usually under $15 (for both).

Took some time to setup, had to buy a modem, figure out how i want my calls routed but at the end i absolutely love that i have such a flexibility. I set it up so my business number calls in the office and on my cell phone at once, my home phone number calls at home first and if nobody picks up then rings me and my wife simultaneously. Even google voice can't do it. And you can get all kind of callback, voice mails, voice menus if you want.

Quality is fine. My wife didn't even notice when i switched to voip.ms

Used tech support multiple times, they always respond quickly, help to fix configurations if needed, make recommendations on software (if you want to use soft phone)

Just one thing annoys me. Their systems sends timestamp with every caller id and it's in a different time zone.