odynet page on DSLReports

Review by Vomio See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Good "Reliable, allows servers, real knowledgable people answer the phone or reply to email."
Bad "No bad surprises, where's the fun in that."
Overall "Must be good as I haven't jumped ship."

A real responsive ISP, not like my previous experience with Bell Sympatico.
I've had a 'DSL residential connection with them for 8 years and it has been pretty much problem free.
I was with Sympatico for 3 years and they seemed to be giving less and less, charging more and were starting to limit servers, so I left and have never looked back.

Vomio

Update:
One year later
Now on "up to 10 Meg" downtown London on their on DSLAM for $5.00 extra.
Given the recent changes in regards to Canadian internet it seems like an island in the storm.

Update
3 years later.
Currently using a TPLink TD-W8960n ADSL modem/router.
Things are still good.
Service is very reliable.
I still recommend them to family and friends for a no hassle internet connection.

member for 6.5 years, 531 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by coolacid See Profile

• Location: Canada
Good "Always helpful, limited downtime"
Bad "*NEW* Cap from Grandfathered Plan w/o Communication"
Overall "Short list of ISPs to consider"

I was an original NutNBut.net subscriber for a very long time. We're talking 10+ years. After OdyNet took over from NutNBut.net there was zero issues. Not that there was anything before. A few hiccups here and there, but that's expected from any ISP, and they are usually resolved quickly enough. They also consistently upgraded my speed when things came available in my area.

Today, I get an email indicating I have an invoice - it doesn't look like any invoice I've had before, and what's worse is showing an overage on my account - which is funny - I have an unlimited account.

When I called the support line, I was basicly told to suck it up, since there is no documentation from NutNBut.net that it was an unlimmited account, they could set an arbitrary cap that they felt was warrented - and of course, because apparently they "labeled" the line item as 100G for the past year this was justified.

Of course, over the year, I was never informed there was this sudden cap - nor was I ever charged prior to this month for this so called overage.

Unfortunately, I used to support OdyNet as my prefered alternative to the big three because they were the little guy, and really knew how to treat a client, now I have to have second thoughts and start the hunt for a new ISP.

For the Record: Service was fine, I'd consider them someone to add to a short list of ISPs to look at.

----
Update: I was able to find documentation from NutNBut.net indicating that there was no cap, Odynet's response was that they increased my speed and as such that cap was no longer honoured.

Update 2: After talking with Brad (CEO) we've come to a mutual agreement, and I'll be sticking with Odynet. I've very happy to continue service with them.

Comments:

Review by LastDon See Profile

Good "Very good value, consistent service. Have dealt with the owner a few times to help fix issues awesome response."
Bad "i can't think of any at the moment"
Overall "good ISP, i am sure others have larger caps but good overall!"

I was originally with nutnbut.net internet and ody.ca took over. I haven't had any issues with ody.ca itself but issues related with bell. It took multiple tickets and even the CEO of ody coming to my house!

At the end of the day and a lot of emails back and forth.. the issue was clearly all bell. I was on a bad port .

Overall Ody has been great. I am on a older plan which has been download quota but no complaints from me.

Comments:

Review by xanderp123 See Profile

• Location: London,ON
Bad "Ody requests your personal and financial information over an unsecure connection."
Overall "If Ody cannot secure a website, do you trust them to be your ISP?"

I almost signed up for service from Odynet over 8 months ago, however I got to their signup page at »ody.ca/signup.htm and realized that they ask for all of your personal information including your address coupled with either your credit card information or bank account information over an unsecured connection, so I asked some one to contact me instead.

In the mean time, I signed up for service from Teksavvy and when I was contacted by Ody, I told them that I had signed up with another ISP and the reason I did not sign up for their service was their lack of concern for the security of my personal information. Now, eight months later, the signup page (»ody.ca/signup.htm) has not changed.

Bottom line: if they cannot manage to secure a web page, do you trust them to be your ISP?

Comments:

Review by timc7 See Profile

• Location: Waterloo,ON
Good "Responsive, good price, reliable"

I have been an OdyNet customer for about five years now. In the first couple of years there were some reliability issues, but I haven't had any memorable downtime for a long time.

I had the $34.95/month DSL plan, which included a free modem rental. The bandwidth caps were quite low (5GB) until last year when they were raised to 100GB. I'm not a heavy user, so caps aren't an issue for me.

Tech support was always responsive, and I never had to wait on hold to talk to someone.

All in all, OdyNet is a great provider. I'm switching to TekSavvy to save a few bucks a month and to consolidate my telecom services with one provider.