Radioactif page on DSLReports

Review by WakedPaul See Profile

Good "Cheap and reliable"
Bad "They don't want to upgrade my service to 10Mbps ..."
Overall "Will most likely switch to another ISP"

I have been with Radioactif for almost 3 years now and I have to say I was pleased until recently. We decided to cancel our Bell land-line since prices were just ridiculous (40$ tx in with NO addons like call display or voice mail).

We had a dry-loop installed (but the appointments are way far, ours was 2 weeks down the road, so we ended up being internet-less for a few days).

We asked for an upgrade but were told only 6Mbps was available in our area, which I thought was strange since I can see Bell's DSLAM building from my back balcony! So anyway I didn't push and just replied "ok!".

BUT ... since the switch our speeds are just sad, we now cap at 280KB/s while before I would easily get 600KB/s and would peak at around 700KB/s.

This week I looked at alternatives (AEI, TekSavyy, Distributel and even Bell) and they ALL tell me that 10Mbps and above services are available in my area ... but Radioactif tells me it's not possible!

Comments:

Review by argent350 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Leonard,QC
Good "No contract"
Bad "Speed, reliability, tech support, customer service"
Overall "Run away from Radioactif"

Well, we've had Radioactif for 8 months now and finally going to switch to something else next month when we move.

We pay about 45$/month for ADSL6 + dry loop.
No bandwidth cap, which is not a surprise because you could never get to a cap when the speed is so slow you can't even watch youtube videos.
Adsl6 is advertized as up to 6Mbps. Here are the actual speed test results: Download: 0.46 Mbps- Upload: 0.64 Mbps - Ping: 27 ms

I have to admit that the first month we were getting about 2-3Mbps download but after the first month it all went to hell.

Tried to contact their tech support? Good luck! "Everything is fine on our end"...

Anyways, horrible experience.

Starting November we will pay 10$ more and get Bell Fibe instead.

member for 1 year, 3 visits, last login: 358 days ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by Reboot123 See Profile

• Location: Montreal-Nord,QC
Good "Cheap ADSL Budget Plans and Reliable Connection"
Bad "Only bad thing is that some of their people are really rude"
Overall "One of the Best ADSL providers"

·TekSavvy Cable
Been with them for about 4 years now, nice cheap budget 30$ ADSL plans with unlimited download and upload and the connection never fails, the only bad experience I had with them was when one of their customer service guys insulted me because he realized he made a mistake about an information and got mad, he was really rude. Also, they still did not update their cable plans after the CRTC to make them more competitive, the current cable plans are not very good in terms of price, but so far they are the best ADSL providers that I had to deal with.

Comments:

Review by r8u7y6t See Profile

Bad "RUDE SERVICE/BAD TECH SUPPORT"
Overall "GO SOMEWHERE ELSE"

I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS COMPANY TO ANYONE -  I would suggest any company other than these guys - they are incredibly rude and unprofessional, and do not offer good technical support.  We used Radioactif for approximately 3 years before switching to Bell for a cheaper price.  I called and cancelled the Radioactif service well in advance only to see that we were still being charged on our visa 3 months later.  When I called them the man I dealt with was INCREDIBLY RUDE AND KEPT HANGING UP ON ME!! He was the only person working, so every time I called back I got him no matter which department I selected. He said the only way to cancel our internet service was via their website - why had nobody told me this??  He also told me that they were still being charged by Bell for the line (they're a Bell reseller), but REFUSED to send me any information I could take to Bell and simply hung up on me repeatedly instead. Unfortunately, this is NOT THE FIRST TIME we've had to deal with this kind of service from them.  We've had technical problems in the past, which resulted in our purchasing a new modem only to discover it was a problem with their servers - after days of troubleshooting with RUDE TECHNICIANS and NO INTERNET.

Comments:

Review by bigfatclown See Profile

• Location: Laval,QC
Good "Unlimited, fast and very stable"
Bad "none so far"
Overall "Great ISP for the $$$"

I switched from Videotron to Radioactif. yes videotron is way faster but the 30gig cap is a problem For half the price, I get a very good connection with no bandwith limits. The connection is very stable with an average of 450k download speed.

For $30 a month, what more can you ask!!!

Comments:

Review by Jan J See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Unlimited bandwidth, good speeds, low prices, excellent uptime!"
Bad "You have to get your own modem and the support could be better!"
Overall "If you are a heavy downloader, then this ISP is definitely for you."

***UPDATE***
After almost a year of using this ISP, I started experiencing very slow speeds. Theoretically speaking, when I called the support, they told me that speeds can go upto 5mbps, but are generally lower. I certainly agree with them;however, what happens when those speeds reach the below 100KB/s line? I would rather go for a cheaper Internet package then.

I've e-mailed them with speed tests, traceroutes, and they finally respond to me saying that they are aware of the problem and are trying to fix it... but it's been a month.

Everything good comes to an end.

What if it takes you 10 seconds to load a simple website like Google?

ORIGINAL REVIEW FOLLOWS:

I have been a satisfied customer of RadioActif.com for about three months now, and I have never encountered a problem except once, but it was due to a server shutdown which occurred on the whole network (even Bell).

The strongest point of this ISP, is the fact that they REALLY provide you with unlimited bandwidth. I personally think that I have downloaded over 120GB in the last few weeks, and they never told me anything, never called me, nada.

The other strong factor of this ISP, is their low prices. I have never seen any ISP that provides UNLIMITED bandwidth for such a low price (30.00$ / month), no contract, and you can cancel whenever you want, no questions asked.

The installation process was faster than I was told (5 business days), because it was actually done in 2 business days.

Unfortunately, no equipment is supplied so you have to get your own stuff (modem, filters, jacks, etc) but that is understandable.

I own a D-Link 2640B, and it gets the job done perfectly fine, so if you are looking for a modem/router, just look for that one on NewEgg or NCIX. There is no way you can find a modem/router in the biggest Canadian retailers: BestBuy, FutureShop, you name it...

Another bad thing was the support. There was this one day where the service was down for almost the whole day, and when I called in, I was told that the network was UP and RUNNING so I decided to call Bell, and I was told that the network was in fact down.

Afterwards, I called RadioActif.com again, and I was told that the network was down this time. I may be generalizing too much because it happened once in a lifetime, but it still means something.

In case you were wondering why would I call Bell to ask why their network was down, is because every third party ISP (RadioActif, VIF Internet, TekSavvy, you name it) use shared lines from Videotron (Cable, mostly) and Bell (Broadband)

But my overall experience was VERY pleasing with RadioActif, and I intend to be using them for a while now. It's a MUST-HAVE ISP.

Comments:

Review by adisor19 See Profile

• Location: Saint-Constant,QC
Good "Reliasble cable internet that no longer makes sense."
Bad "Charged me 85$ a month instead of 70$ and capped me with NO WARNING."
Overall "Forget about it. Look somewhere else."

·Acanac
Update 17 Feb 2009 :

Checked my master card bill and noticed an additional charge of 56$ on top of the 34$ regular charge. Adding them together is more then 70$. Called to inquire and found out they no longer offer unlimited cable internet and that supposedly they sent me a letter informing me about this which i never received. Canceled the service on the spot and ordered 2 Teksavvy accouts that i will use in an MLPPP setup.

Adi

-----------

Initial review :

So, ever since i got rid of Videotron, i've been looking for an alternative ISP. I was about to go with Teksavvy or Acanac but when Bell started throttling all the DSL ISPs, that was no longer an option.

I looked into cable resellers and found that Electronicbox and RadioActif had the same service but with slightly different pricing.

In the end RadioActif won because they only charge 45$ per month if you don't go above 20G down and 10 up and 70$ if you go over that compared to Electronicbox that charges 70$ no matter how much you consume.

So far after 2 months, i can't complain. Speed is good and the connection is not throttled.

Adi

member for 10.1 years, 3167 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by simcloute See Profile

• Location: Trois-Rivieres,QC
Good "Unlimited Caps!!!"
Bad "they use the Bell Nexxia netwok who's throttled"
Overall "Really nice!"

Radioactif are using 3MenAtWork to provide you internet! it's a big compagny in Montreal and have many links with majors telecos like Bell,Videotron,Telus,Cogentco and Telus

for people living in Québec it's perfect because they reach all isp present here
i have a 7.0 Mbit/s package but presently i'm too far from the C.O i have a 2.0 mbits connexion and it's perfect for me. for the installation , it's a bell tech who make the job.

i'm using a D-link Dsl-2540b with a Broadcom chipset and it's perfect for long reach dsl!

their link are not saturated and it's perfect all the time

member for 10.3 years, 478 visits, last login: 4.7 years ago

Comments:

Review by Cubytus See Profile

• Location: Montreal,QC
Good "Top-notch reliability (use Videotron's network),no"
Bad "Crappy customer service, never try to find another agreement than theirs, 300GB only caps"
Overall "Unbeatable prices for a cable reseller"

·TekSavvy DSL
·Vonage
·Skype
At the time I dropped Videotron, I was looking for another cable-based ISP since DSL has a so bad reputation for being unreliable, always needing rebooting the modem, or simply disconnecting itself every 3 days or so. Turned out all of cable ISPS werew resselling part of Videotron's monopoly, and all but one applied ridiculous caps.

So I ordered Radioactif's unlimited cable service for 64.95+taxes that would give slightly lesser speeds than Vid's one, at 7M/820k instead of 10M/900K. That's the cheapest you could get back then for an unlimited cable service. Now, the price is $74.95 with a 300GB cap, same speed. Unacceptable, but it doesn't come from them.

Ordering was easy, as well as picking up the pre-configured cable modem at their physical store. Turns out they closed it and all is done through postal service now. Take that into account when ordering.

Modem was a Motorola Surfboard 5101 programmed for use by Radioactif on Videotron's network. It was not possible to use self-provided modem, which can be considered an inconvenient since renting is 9.95+txes/month or need to shell out around $120 to buy the modem.

Payment is made through credit card. One day after the card was cloned, thus cancelled by me, I forgot to tell them about the new card number and the internet service was cut without notice. Made it to go to the nearest public phone, some 500m from home (sic!) to ask them about this. I learned it all, then I told them that they could at least plug me back so I can at least use my VoIP line to call them when I will activate the credit card. They refused, even when I said that I would go somewhere elese if their customer service didn't ameliorate (They replied that no one was forcing me to stay and that they indeed sent one email at an adress I don't look.). The following day, I activated the card, then took a friend'S cell phone to call them. They took the number, and told me that the service would be re-established in an hour. Three hours later, I had time to get back home, verify that it didn't returned, go out to call once again. They told me that the payment was processed but that Videotron's technicians were absent so couldn't plug my service back. It took to Monday night to get the service back.

They could have been more profesional-looking by immediately plugging back a customer who use VoIP and at least try to reach him by all means before shutting off the service.

Comments:

Review by lilsofy See Profile

• Location: Repentigny,QC
Good "good price with ADSL unlimited service, good tech support"
Bad "the throttling due to NEXXIA"
Overall "real companie with real people"

the tech support really try to help you out when you call.