Cricket Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "AT&T bought them"
Bad "LTE speeds are capped to 8MBPS "
Overall "best comprmise when your stuck in a area with no Tmobile or Sprint LTE coverage."

·Cox HSI
·AT&T Wireless Br..
I have been using the new cricket service running on AT&T's network the service is decent for the price $60 for 10 GB then throttled to unusable levels there after. I live in a area where there is 0 Tmobile or sprint LTE coverage so my only choices are AT&T and Verizon networks. For the money it's the best and only option i have until Tmobile and sprint decide to upgrade the network here.

member for 7.6 years, 4046 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by KA3SGM See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "Reasonable Cost, Easy Setup, No Contract, Decent U/L-D/L Speeds"
Bad " No Nationwide Roaming, They are shtting down vast areas of ther coverage, as they scale back, and headed for certain bankrupcy."
Overall "Their equipment rebates are a complete LIE!! AT&T aquiring them is their only savior, but only if the deal gets approved."

Just to make a baseline here for the Broadband service review, I started with trying Cricket's "Unlimited" 1xRTT CDMA voice service about 1 month ago, looking for a cheap phone with no contract, that I could let my kids use over the Summer, without worrying that they would run me up a several $$$ bill, and I picked up the relatively cheap Moto VE240 handset for it.

I fully expected the newest carrier in town to have dead spots all over, but good coverage where my kids would be, as I could just roughly determine, by Cricket's rather poorly detailed coverage map.

I was however greatly surprised to find Cricket's coverage being quite good, and after dozens of voice calls, and easily 500 minutes of usage, I had yet to have even a single call drop or fail to connect.

Cricket is a No-Contract carrier, so I can start and stop service my services at will, and only eat the activation fee to go back if I suspend my service for a while(So They Tell Me, I Haven't Tested That Claim Yet).

(I also have voice service with Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile, 2 incumbents that have been offering digital cell service here more than 10 years, and I seldom have dropped a call with either of them recently as well)

Philadelphia is one of Cricket's "Tri-Band" markets, which means it is operating exclusively in the relatively new 1700MHz/2100MHz "AWS Band", so coverage capabilities should be in range with the existing 1900MHz PCS carriers, when their network is fully deployed.

Cricket is running full EV-DO Rev.A for their broadband service here, I am using the Cal-Comp "A600" USB "Stick" modem, and I have been getting download speeds between 380-800kbps, and upload speeds of roughly 300-600kbps, and that seems pretty consistent, regardless of time of day, or signal strength trending between 2-4 bars.

I can only compare it to my old T-Mobile Sony-Ericsson GC89 GPRS/EDGE card, that gets about 150kbps down, and 45kbps up.

I was looking for a mobile broadband solution for my laptop, that was a bit faster, and I didn't want to be tied to a dedicated WiFi Hotspot all the time.

T-Mobile, who would have been my first choice for 3G mobile broadband, has launched their 3G service in the Philly Metro area, but they have yet to reach the Suburbs where I live, so I wasn't going to tie myself to a 2-year contract with a provider that was charging $25 more per month than Cricket is(Cricket discounts their Broadband an extra $5/mo for having a voice line with them), and for $60/mo w/ contract vs $35/mo wo/ contract, the T-Mobile UMTS 3G USB modem would only still fall back to the existing EDGE network speeds.

Cricket is also running a hybrid, Cell Tower, DAS(Distributed Antenna System) network in my area as well, which probably is the biggest contributor to their decent voice and data coverage.

They still use a fair number of conventional Cell towers, but they are combined with an array of fiber fed Micro-Cellular RF "Nodes" that they attach to the top of utility poles.

The DAS Node portion of their network is installed and operated by NEXTG networks, and they merely provide the Pole-Top Nodes, and a fiber backhaul network to a Cricket "Base Station Hotel", where everything connects back to Cricket's conventional cellular network.

The handoffs between towers and DAS Nodes has been seamless for voice and data services, and it allows them to install coverage where you would never be able to obtain zoning to build a conventional cell tower, which is probably why a brand new company in the Philadelphia market, has pretty decent coverage from the start.

They do have some weak spots, and my continued testing of their voice and data network will undoubtedly turn up some conventional "dead zones", but as of yet, I haven't really found any thus yet.

OF course, this is still Wireless 3G Broadband, where the speeds do vary a bit, and the latency is much more obvious than Wired Broadband.

I am already spoiled by my 20/5 Verizon Fios connection a home, and am used to respectful WiFi speeds at places like Starbucks, or the Public Library, but beyond my initial T-Mobile EDGE connection, that was always slow but usable, Cricket thus far is providing decent wireless broadband coverage, at about 5x better download speeds, and 10x faster upload speeds, than I had before, and it only works out to be about $10-$15/mo more than what I was paying for T-Mobile 2.5G EDGE.

Cricket calls their service "Unlimited" but it still has a reported 5GB "cap", but instead of charging overages of $0.45/MB by going over that cap, they simply throttle or discontinue your service until the beginning of the next monthly billing cycle.

I have gathered that 5GB "Cap" tidbit from other Cricket reviews that I have already read here on DSLR, and by reading the fine print of Cricket's TOS agreement, but I have not yet had a chance to try and test it yet.

Maybe I'll wait until the last few days of the next billing cycle, and try to transfer my own .MP3 collection from my Fios connected desktop, to my Cricket connected laptop, via a P2P or VPN tunnel, and wait and see what happens.

Unfortunately, Cricket Broadband has nowhere near the National 2.5G or 3G coverage as other providers, and their possibility of Broadband roaming looks to be pretty much out of the question.

But if you need to be mobile, in a single metro/suburban area, it seems to be working out to be a pretty decent contender to other carriers that DO have National roaming capabilities, but also want to tie you to a 2-year contract, and at a significantly higher cost per month.

UPDATE 8/29/10:

In the end, I dumped Cricket, their service is good, but only where it works.

I no longer need mobile web access, and there were several significant coverage gaps that I found.

Their promised $100 rebate on their A600 USB modem never arrived after more than 9 months of service.

They promise 1 month of free service upon activation, but apparently it is the 13th month that is free, and not the 2nd month.

Cricket lies about instant rebates, you need to remain a customer for over 2 years to actually get the "INSTANT" rebate.

I doubt this company will exist much longer, if they continue with their deceptive ways.

Update 8/17/2013:

They are largely abandoning their existing network, they are in full shutdown mode, AT&T is their only saving grace at this point. If the FCC says NO, they're going to go completely Bankrupt.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Shut Down

Cricket shut down a good share of their network before. It went to Revol Wireless and Sprint. Now they resell Sprint and AT&T. This is nothing new with them.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
·Cricket Broadband

Re: Shut Down

It's still running around me in some places, but their phones are mostly roaming on MetroPCS(until T-Mobile turns off the CDMA) and Sprint right now.

I have my old Cricket phone, and a USB data stick from them, and they still connect and show signal, and since they aren't activated any longer, the PRL never updates, so the signal I am seeing is still Cricket's, just not in many places these days.

It's amazing what they have just abandoned in place, or where they had the ground equipment simply ripped out as scrap, but left the antennas and cables still on the tower.
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Shut Down

Your area could be moving to Revol. You may want to check them. They used to be called NorthCoast PCS until they ended up in hot water many years ago.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
·Cricket Broadband

Re: Shut Down

The final post to my review was that Cricket is shutting down, abandoning their network, and probably going bankrupt, aside for the AT&T acquisition that has already been proposed.

I have now canceled all of my prior Cricket services, both Voice and Data, and this area is slated to have the full 20MHz of AWS spectrum that Cricket now holds, go directly to AT&T, with any remaining Cricket customers probably being tossed into the wind.
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
Good "Price"
Bad "un-compatible with Windows 8"

Just wanted to let you and your readers know that Cricket Broadband
modems are not Windows 8 compatible before they decide to purchase
internet service through them. Also their cusromer service department is located in Central America & terrible! Thank You, Roger Coghill
Omaha NE

(review was emailed from domain live.com)

Comments:

Review by llSh0ckll See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No Contract, 1mbps after pay day for 4 days"
Bad "Horrible in every other way."
Overall "Sucks. Dont get it, unless its the only option."

Ok so this all started when i was getting annoyed of my neighbors constantly disconnecting free wi-fi. I decided on getting cricket, since it was supposedly "Cheap".
It was the week of christmas.

I got to say, the installation was kind of easy! All I had to do is buy it, go to my house, and put it in my laptop. Then i was good to go!

But then it went downhill
I don't remember the speed, but i remembered it couldn't load 1 youtube video after 1 hour of the service going. I was pissed at the download speed too, I can't even get a 1mbps program! It all went slow.

Ok so after 6 months of cricket internet, whenever i paid the bill, it would finally raise up to 1mbps, enough to watch a youtube video with 1 or 2 buffering, or a whole movie stream, or play in a multi player server in minecraft. Problem was, it went down once you have gone 4-5 days with it. Totally unreliable. It goes 0.50kbps-100kbps now, and I cant stand it! Its horrible! In two weeks, I will switch to comcast, so Thank God. I cannot stand this ISP anymore.
I would not recommend this iSP to anyone now, and I've been actually bad mouthing the cricket service. If you love slow internet, go ahead and give your hard earned money on these con artists!

join:2012-06-11

Are you for REAL?

Let me get this right.... So you were sponging off your neighbors wi fi but were bothered because it kept dropping off? Then figured you better pay for your own. Unless your neighbors were OK with you piggy backing off them (which probably slowed their own service too) you deserve what you got.
llSh0ckll

join:2012-07-09
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Are you for REAL?

Actually yes, there were ok with it. I asked them and even done some things around there house.
catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

Cricket Broadband

I believe the problem you are having is that you are going over your allocated data cap. When you go over it Cricket throttle's your internet connection. They have three tiers called Light, Medium, and Heavy. Light your cap is 2GB. Medium your cap is 4GB. Finally Heavy is 8GB. If you pass the cap on your plan you will be throttled by Cricket. When you watch youtube videos that will eat through your cap fast. I would recommend you switch you plan to heavy that way you can watch youtube without blowing through your cap.

• Location: Elsah,Jersey,IL

I was lied to by a cricket rep. on a chat before I purchased the broadband =
modem.i saved the chat session just incase , I asked the rep if my home add=
ress had broadband coverage.his exact response was "totally covered ,you ar=
e good to go" so I purchased the modem and the 55.00 plan .when I received =
the modem 3 days later,it was worse than my dial up connection .i called co=
stumer support and a rep. there told me NO you don't have coverage at that =
address that might be why it isn't working properly.so I asked him if I sen=
t it back because I was LIED to in a chat session ,and I have the proof, co=
uld I get a 100% refund.he then told me no you have had the service for 3 d=
ays now and that the 55.00 that I spent on the first mo. service would be d=
efaulted ,but the would refund the cost of the modem if I send it back to t=
hem in 30 days at my expense .i then told him I just received the modem yes=
terday .he said it starts the day you place the order" sorry, company polic=
y" I called the BBB and filed a complaint .I'm sending the modem and the c=
hat session with my home address high lighted and where the rep told me tha=
t I was totally covered and good to go. I think this is not a very good com=
pany when you have proof that you where lied to and they just say sorry com=
pany policy... I think I should get a 100% refund plus what it cost me to =
send the product back,because if the rep would have told me I didn't have c=
overage I wouldn't have purchased it......Would you.

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the p=
ersonal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If the reader=
of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent responsible for =
delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you h=
ave received this message and any attachments in error and that any review,=
dissemination, distribution, copying or alteration of this message and/or =
its attachments is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message i=
n error, please notify the sender immediately by electronic mail, and delet=
e the original message.

(review was emailed from domain olin.com)

Comments:

Review by Duramax08 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Works good for gaming, youtube"
Bad "$60 for 7.5 GB cap, not that bad I guess"
Overall "Works pretty good as my only connection"

Clearwire didnt work out, got caught tethering my iphone 4 with unlimited plan (fun while it lasted) so had to find another way to get internet since im on the edge for both DSL and cable and both companies have no intention of expanding. During the time tethering my iphone I tried out virgin mobile. Signal sucked so returned it to the store. I saw that it had a external antenna port but didnt think of it that much till AT&T started going all nazi on tethering unlimited user. I decided to bite the bullet and try out cricket. I went with them since they had a 7.5 GB plan at $60 a month so went to walmart and got the EC1705 for $30. Brought it home, activated it and had a weak signal inside my house so got the laptop and walked outside. Was getting 1 3g bars so I knew that I can get some kind of signal and decided to bite another bullet investing into this usb modem so went online and did some research.

I bought the following

antenna- »www.antennagear.net/servlet/the-···n/Detail

extension cable- »www.antennagear.net/servlet/the-···n/Detail

I plugged the antenna with extension cables to my external antenna port on my EC1705 and got a stable 3 3g bars just putting the antenna on a temporary rigged up 15 foot pole so went out back and found a old 30 foot telescopic pole that was rusty. After cleaning it up and putting a new coat of paint on it we raised it up to about 25 feet and ran the antenna cable into my room. Works almost great. Heres the speed test.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1287149766.png

Warning:I almost shitted my pants when the adapter that came with the antenna wouldnt fit the usb modem but if you got a steady hand and a nice sharp knife, just cut a little of the plastic out of the modem so you can fit the external antenna adapter onto the ext antenna port on the usb modem.

To me it seems like the speed test is wrong. Cricket provides a software program that starts the connection for the usb modem and it gives me real time statistics and it maxes out around 600 kbps watching youtube. The whole household is able to use my connection since I share the connection from the usb modem to my wireless router so whenever my computer is connected. the household is connected. Im looking into a 3g wireless router but seems a bit expensive for what they do. But for now this is working just right. Lets see what that broadband plan actually does (if anything).

-Update 6/22/11

-.-, So last month my service went out, Forgot it was prepaid so paid it right away and it was connected the next day. This months payment came around so I decided to pay it a week in advance so did so on the 15th. The cut off date arrives and BAM, everything leads me back to the cricket site. So I decided to give the CSR's a shot. I made a big mistake.

I called them, told the automated guy my info and got transfered to someone, they didnt sound like they were from India so that was a relief. Told the guy my problem and said I even have a confirmation number and he said let me transfer you over to tech support. Got transfered to tech support and the lady said let me transfer you over to broadband then said she couldnt and gave me the number. After writing it down and calling it, I found it was the number I just called......

So called them again and told them my problem. The guy said let me transfer you over to tech support. I said I was just transfered over to tech support and they said they couldnt help me and to give you guys a call again. He said Oh, let me look for the right number. A minute later he says im going to transfer you to the right place. I said ok and got transfered. Now I hit some India guy named bobby or some shit like that and I told him "my services just got disconnected and I paid a week before the cut off date, is their anyway you can help me? I got a confirm number from the payment I made". After I told him my problem, CLICK. He hanged up on me. I lold. Wow, really? This is pathetic. Seems like those reps are only good for telling you how to reset your phone by taking out your battery. This is one shitty company TBH.

Cricket is my only internet option as of now. I do get all the big boy companies like AT&T, TMO, Sprint but dont want to get in a contract since I see AT&T working on a possible DSLAM near our house, I could live with a 150GB cap. Cricket works good when it works but when it doesnt, its a pain in the ass to talk to CSR's. And when I paid my bill wayyyy in advance to avoid service interuptions and still get cut off, that really pisses me off.

Screw you cricket

Update

Its been working pretty decent lately. I can watch youtube with little to no buffer. Ive been playing l4d2 on steam and my ping on servers range from 140-280ms. Its been a little laggy but still good (unless something is updating in the background, its gona lag). What I dont like is that it tries to auto dial when I turn on the computer. Since its not set up for that, it does it a few times and I cant connect during the 5 times it warns me. There probably is a easy fix for that, I just need to sit down and tinker with it. It also bugs me that when all that auto dial stuff goes away, I can connect when I have the max of 3 EVDO bars and once im connected, it will stay at 1 bar. By disconnecting and connecting seems to fix it but also gets annoying. And one last thing. I can turn on the internet at 8am and it would disconnect itself around 6-8pm. not sure why it does that but connecting again seems to fix it. I just dread the payment deadline. Even if I pay on time I will be disconnected for 1-2 days. Its bullshit but I guess thats how it works. Im gona give those cricket cards a shot and see if it wont delay activating the services again.

Update 12/12/11

I bought a cradlepoint MBR95 for my cricket modem and I might say it works pretty well. There has been times where it would say theres no internet connection but if I plug the modem into my pc, shows I get 3/5 bars. One of the firmware updates were pissing me off, it would turn off the wireless function or disable the cricket modem to where it wouldnt connect. Ive been using v3.2.4 and it works just fine.

THE END! WOOT!

So this is my last update of my cricket service. It recently started going downhill where I was reaching dial up speeds. Said screw it, going to someone else. I went with Millenicom and getting speeds like this

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1689145···G][/URL]

I have 15 days of my cricket service left, really not worth the hassle. It was good while it lasted cricket, but ill enjoy my 20GB cap vs the 5GB cap YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT!

The End.

member for 6.3 years, 3084 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by arrowslinger See Profile

• Location: Waukegan,Lake,IL
Good "Decent speeds that do not bounce around"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "I use it at work so works out well."

My purchase started from a Sprint call asking why my data has spiked? Me like a dummy "well ya see I am using my phone at work........"

Sprint employee: That is a no no (here he actually freakin snickered!) but we can set you up to use our 30.00 a month data plan sir.

Me: But I already pay for unlimited data?

Sprint employee: O no sir we are talking apples and oranges here, your using data via a hot spot.

Me: Yea its in the phone with your companies logo stamped all over it?

Sprint employee: I understand that sir but not long ago sprint decided not to allow...............................

At this point I made an excuse to hang up grrrrr been with them five years.

Anyway not to risk losing my sprint service, increasing the contract and a new phone. I started just a few minutes ago using crickets broadband mobile, 45 a month and I can decide when I no longer need it.

The install of the a A605 modem was painless just plug in accept install.

Connect to internet is quick first speed test was 1.5Mbps will update later from first evening use at work.

I only used 3gb of data tethering my phone in a month so I cant see using up the 7.5gb

I play an online game theHunter and connection works fine.

I love the fact I can pay by the month.

Comments:

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "Being able to take your internet service anywhere"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "LOVE IT"

I dont know whats up with all the other peoples reviews but I love the service, it works great for me, but then again all I do pretty much is Facebook and Email, I watched a netflix movie the other night and it worked great, YouTube works no problem as well.

member for 7.3 years, 2465 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Your money is excepted fast!"
Bad "Extremely poor customer service and internet speed"
Overall "I upgraded from $40/mo. to $50. After a week, back to snails pace. In Aug. customers will be charged $5 extra per mo"

Cricket Broadband - Very poor Internet speed and customer service, mainly automated..could eat lunch, take an hour nap before a broken English Tech rep assist you! Does it solve the snail pace issues..absolutely not!! Trust me you will need to call more than several times! I see bankruptcy in the very near futre for Cricket Snail Band!!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by MacBridger See Profile

• Location: Smithton,Westmoreland,PA
Good "mobile"
Bad "slow speeds, dial up latency, frequent disconnects, not unlimited"
Overall "Only good for people who need internet while mobile"

·Verizon Online DSL
I live in a small town in southwest PA. We don't have a cable company, and I'm too far from the CO for DSL. Options for broadband are very limited. Until recently, it was pretty much satellite or nothing. In the last few months, I had noticed that wireless broadband was being offered. After doing some research I found two companies offering wireless service here. Verizon and Cricket. After comparing the two, cricket seemed the better deal.

I was told by a sales rep that the service can get speeds upwards of 700 kbps down. Thankfully, they have displays set up in their stores, so I was able to test it firsthand. The tests from the store were not encouraging, as the best speed test result I got was a mere 111 kbps down. Keeping that in mind, I bought a modem, UTStarcom UM100C, for $180 and paid the $25 activation fee. Thankfully, they have an instant rebate on the modem right now, plus an additional mail in rebate. ($70 and $50 respectively) The first month of service is also free.

Ordering was painless. I just went into the store and bought it. Brought the modem home, installed it and was up and running. A few notes on the installation: The modem requires 2, yes 2 USB ports. Also, it is important to install the software from the CD first. You will be prompted to connect the modem when it is time to do so. I'd also like to note the return policy. While I haven't had to use the policy, you lose the activation fee once you use the service. In addition, you only have 3 days to return the modem after you activate it. So I'd suggest you make sure you have good cell reception before you try to get this service.

UPDATE: Having had the service for some time now, I'm quite pleased with it. Speeds are widely variable, but are generally between 300 and 500 kbps down. Latency has been ranging between 150 and 350 ms. You're not going to be tearing up multi-player shooters with this connection.

It has been extremely reliable also. I have only been disconnected once, and that was after being connected for 26 hours. I have not had to deal with tech support yet. Hopefully I won't have to. I'd recommend this to anyone over dial up or satellite. So if you can't get DSL or cable, try this out.

UPDATE: I've had Cricket for 3 months now. The biggest problem has been frequent outages. So far, it seems to average 2 outages a month for 2-3 hours at a time. I have been without stable internet 3 times this week. None of these issues have been with signal quality either.

The bandwidth is still decent. I can usually stream video, but it's borderline and sometimes choppy. Latency has been really good of late. (For this connection) Pings have been ranging from 150 ms to 300 ms, but usually right around 200 ms. I'm not burning up the gaming lanes, but they are playable.

Tech support seems competent, but I have not gone through any troubleshooting with them yet. Each time I have called they had already declared an outage and admitted to a problem on their end. The techs I have spoken with were all friendly and spoke clear, concise English.

One suggestion if anyone at Cricket happens to read this. Put outage information on your phone prompts! Not only will it save your customers a half hour hold, it will save your techs a ton of time sorting through outages and getting to other issues.

UPDATE: Things have recently gone downhill in a big way. Throughput has dropped to sub 56k speeds and I get disconnected frequently. My average speed as of this morning was 9kbps. And I just got disconnected again while typing this update... I would no longer recommend Cricket over dial up. While I still see an occasional speed burst above 56k, it is far too slow, inconsistent and unstable for a primary ISP.

Upon calling tech support I found out that my connection issues were due to the throttling from going over the 5GB cap. I am perplexed as to why they throttled me back to under 10kbps, but there you have it.

Final Update: Last summer I moved to an area with cable and DSL available, so I switched to Comcast. At the time of the move my Cricket service was little more (or less) than dial up. 300 ms latency with downloads under 40 kbps. And 40 kbps was the high end burst. Speeds typically ranged from 9-20 kbps and that was while under the 5 GB cap. (Yes, I started watching my bandwidth carefully after being throttled)

If the service is still as it was for the last 6 months I had it then I couldn't recommend it to anyone. The only possible use would be for someone who constantly travels and needs to access the internet. Even then, there must be better, more stable options.