Cricket Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by KA3SGM See Profile

• Location: West Chester,Chester,PA
Good "Reasonable Cost, Easy Setup, No Contract, Decent U/L-D/L Speeds"
Bad " No Nationwide Roaming, They are shtting down vast areas of ther coverage, as they scale back, and headed for certain bankrupcy."
Overall "Their equipment rebates are a complete LIE!! AT&T aquiring them is their only savior, but only if the deal gets approved."

Just to make a baseline here for the Broadband service review, I started with trying Cricket's "Unlimited" 1xRTT CDMA voice service about 1 month ago, looking for a cheap phone with no contract, that I could let my kids use over the Summer, without worrying that they would run me up a several $$$ bill, and I picked up the relatively cheap Moto VE240 handset for it.

I fully expected the newest carrier in town to have dead spots all over, but good coverage where my kids would be, as I could just roughly determine, by Cricket's rather poorly detailed coverage map.

I was however greatly surprised to find Cricket's coverage being quite good, and after dozens of voice calls, and easily 500 minutes of usage, I had yet to have even a single call drop or fail to connect.

Cricket is a No-Contract carrier, so I can start and stop service my services at will, and only eat the activation fee to go back if I suspend my service for a while(So They Tell Me, I Haven't Tested That Claim Yet).

(I also have voice service with Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile, 2 incumbents that have been offering digital cell service here more than 10 years, and I seldom have dropped a call with either of them recently as well)

Philadelphia is one of Cricket's "Tri-Band" markets, which means it is operating exclusively in the relatively new 1700MHz/2100MHz "AWS Band", so coverage capabilities should be in range with the existing 1900MHz PCS carriers, when their network is fully deployed.

Cricket is running full EV-DO Rev.A for their broadband service here, I am using the Cal-Comp "A600" USB "Stick" modem, and I have been getting download speeds between 380-800kbps, and upload speeds of roughly 300-600kbps, and that seems pretty consistent, regardless of time of day, or signal strength trending between 2-4 bars.

I can only compare it to my old T-Mobile Sony-Ericsson GC89 GPRS/EDGE card, that gets about 150kbps down, and 45kbps up.

I was looking for a mobile broadband solution for my laptop, that was a bit faster, and I didn't want to be tied to a dedicated WiFi Hotspot all the time.

T-Mobile, who would have been my first choice for 3G mobile broadband, has launched their 3G service in the Philly Metro area, but they have yet to reach the Suburbs where I live, so I wasn't going to tie myself to a 2-year contract with a provider that was charging $25 more per month than Cricket is(Cricket discounts their Broadband an extra $5/mo for having a voice line with them), and for $60/mo w/ contract vs $35/mo wo/ contract, the T-Mobile UMTS 3G USB modem would only still fall back to the existing EDGE network speeds.

Cricket is also running a hybrid, Cell Tower, DAS(Distributed Antenna System) network in my area as well, which probably is the biggest contributor to their decent voice and data coverage.

They still use a fair number of conventional Cell towers, but they are combined with an array of fiber fed Micro-Cellular RF "Nodes" that they attach to the top of utility poles.

The DAS Node portion of their network is installed and operated by NEXTG networks, and they merely provide the Pole-Top Nodes, and a fiber backhaul network to a Cricket "Base Station Hotel", where everything connects back to Cricket's conventional cellular network.

The handoffs between towers and DAS Nodes has been seamless for voice and data services, and it allows them to install coverage where you would never be able to obtain zoning to build a conventional cell tower, which is probably why a brand new company in the Philadelphia market, has pretty decent coverage from the start.

They do have some weak spots, and my continued testing of their voice and data network will undoubtedly turn up some conventional "dead zones", but as of yet, I haven't really found any thus yet.

OF course, this is still Wireless 3G Broadband, where the speeds do vary a bit, and the latency is much more obvious than Wired Broadband.

I am already spoiled by my 20/5 Verizon Fios connection a home, and am used to respectful WiFi speeds at places like Starbucks, or the Public Library, but beyond my initial T-Mobile EDGE connection, that was always slow but usable, Cricket thus far is providing decent wireless broadband coverage, at about 5x better download speeds, and 10x faster upload speeds, than I had before, and it only works out to be about $10-$15/mo more than what I was paying for T-Mobile 2.5G EDGE.

Cricket calls their service "Unlimited" but it still has a reported 5GB "cap", but instead of charging overages of $0.45/MB by going over that cap, they simply throttle or discontinue your service until the beginning of the next monthly billing cycle.

I have gathered that 5GB "Cap" tidbit from other Cricket reviews that I have already read here on DSLR, and by reading the fine print of Cricket's TOS agreement, but I have not yet had a chance to try and test it yet.

Maybe I'll wait until the last few days of the next billing cycle, and try to transfer my own .MP3 collection from my Fios connected desktop, to my Cricket connected laptop, via a P2P or VPN tunnel, and wait and see what happens.

Unfortunately, Cricket Broadband has nowhere near the National 2.5G or 3G coverage as other providers, and their possibility of Broadband roaming looks to be pretty much out of the question.

But if you need to be mobile, in a single metro/suburban area, it seems to be working out to be a pretty decent contender to other carriers that DO have National roaming capabilities, but also want to tie you to a 2-year contract, and at a significantly higher cost per month.

UPDATE 8/29/10:

In the end, I dumped Cricket, their service is good, but only where it works.

I no longer need mobile web access, and there were several significant coverage gaps that I found.

Their promised $100 rebate on their A600 USB modem never arrived after more than 9 months of service.

They promise 1 month of free service upon activation, but apparently it is the 13th month that is free, and not the 2nd month.

Cricket lies about instant rebates, you need to remain a customer for over 2 years to actually get the "INSTANT" rebate.

I doubt this company will exist much longer, if they continue with their deceptive ways.

Update 8/17/2013:

They are largely abandoning their existing network, they are in full shutdown mode, AT&T is their only saving grace at this point. If the FCC says NO, they're going to go completely Bankrupt.

Comments:
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Shut Down

Cricket shut down a good share of their network before. It went to Revol Wireless and Sprint. Now they resell Sprint and AT&T. This is nothing new with them.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
·Cricket Broadband

Re: Shut Down

It's still running around me in some places, but their phones are mostly roaming on MetroPCS(until T-Mobile turns off the CDMA) and Sprint right now.

I have my old Cricket phone, and a USB data stick from them, and they still connect and show signal, and since they aren't activated any longer, the PRL never updates, so the signal I am seeing is still Cricket's, just not in many places these days.

It's amazing what they have just abandoned in place, or where they had the ground equipment simply ripped out as scrap, but left the antennas and cables still on the tower.
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

Re: Shut Down

Your area could be moving to Revol. You may want to check them. They used to be called NorthCoast PCS until they ended up in hot water many years ago.

KA3SGM
- -... ...- -
join:2006-01-17
West Chester, PA
·Cricket Broadband

Re: Shut Down

The final post to my review was that Cricket is shutting down, abandoning their network, and probably going bankrupt, aside for the AT&T acquisition that has already been proposed.

I have now canceled all of my prior Cricket services, both Voice and Data, and this area is slated to have the full 20MHz of AWS spectrum that Cricket now holds, go directly to AT&T, with any remaining Cricket customers probably being tossed into the wind.
ROCK 'TIL SUNSET

• Location: Omaha,Douglas,NE
Good "Price"
Bad "un-compatible with Windows 8"

Just wanted to let you and your readers know that Cricket Broadband
modems are not Windows 8 compatible before they decide to purchase
internet service through them. Also their cusromer service department is located in Central America & terrible! Thank You, Roger Coghill
Omaha NE

(review was emailed from domain live.com)

Comments:

Review by llSh0ckll See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA
Good "No Contract, 1mbps after pay day for 4 days"
Bad "Horrible in every other way."
Overall "Sucks. Dont get it, unless its the only option."

Ok so this all started when i was getting annoyed of my neighbors constantly disconnecting free wi-fi. I decided on getting cricket, since it was supposedly "Cheap".
It was the week of christmas.

I got to say, the installation was kind of easy! All I had to do is buy it, go to my house, and put it in my laptop. Then i was good to go!

But then it went downhill
I don't remember the speed, but i remembered it couldn't load 1 youtube video after 1 hour of the service going. I was pissed at the download speed too, I can't even get a 1mbps program! It all went slow.

Ok so after 6 months of cricket internet, whenever i paid the bill, it would finally raise up to 1mbps, enough to watch a youtube video with 1 or 2 buffering, or a whole movie stream, or play in a multi player server in minecraft. Problem was, it went down once you have gone 4-5 days with it. Totally unreliable. It goes 0.50kbps-100kbps now, and I cant stand it! Its horrible! In two weeks, I will switch to comcast, so Thank God. I cannot stand this ISP anymore.
I would not recommend this iSP to anyone now, and I've been actually bad mouthing the cricket service. If you love slow internet, go ahead and give your hard earned money on these con artists!

join:2012-06-11

Are you for REAL?

Let me get this right.... So you were sponging off your neighbors wi fi but were bothered because it kept dropping off? Then figured you better pay for your own. Unless your neighbors were OK with you piggy backing off them (which probably slowed their own service too) you deserve what you got.
llSh0ckll

join:2012-07-09
Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Are you for REAL?

Actually yes, there were ok with it. I asked them and even done some things around there house.
catbrat90

join:2007-08-10
Cincinnati, OH

Cricket Broadband

I believe the problem you are having is that you are going over your allocated data cap. When you go over it Cricket throttle's your internet connection. They have three tiers called Light, Medium, and Heavy. Light your cap is 2GB. Medium your cap is 4GB. Finally Heavy is 8GB. If you pass the cap on your plan you will be throttled by Cricket. When you watch youtube videos that will eat through your cap fast. I would recommend you switch you plan to heavy that way you can watch youtube without blowing through your cap.

Review by Duramax08 See Profile

• Location: San Antonio,Bexar,TX
Good "Works good for gaming, youtube"
Bad "$60 for 7.5 GB cap, not that bad I guess"
Overall "Works pretty good as my only connection"

Clearwire didnt work out, got caught tethering my iphone 4 with unlimited plan (fun while it lasted) so had to find another way to get internet since im on the edge for both DSL and cable and both companies have no intention of expanding. During the time tethering my iphone I tried out virgin mobile. Signal sucked so returned it to the store. I saw that it had a external antenna port but didnt think of it that much till AT&T started going all nazi on tethering unlimited user. I decided to bite the bullet and try out cricket. I went with them since they had a 7.5 GB plan at $60 a month so went to walmart and got the EC1705 for $30. Brought it home, activated it and had a weak signal inside my house so got the laptop and walked outside. Was getting 1 3g bars so I knew that I can get some kind of signal and decided to bite another bullet investing into this usb modem so went online and did some research.

I bought the following

antenna- »www.antennagear.net/servlet/the-···n/Detail

extension cable- »www.antennagear.net/servlet/the-···n/Detail

I plugged the antenna with extension cables to my external antenna port on my EC1705 and got a stable 3 3g bars just putting the antenna on a temporary rigged up 15 foot pole so went out back and found a old 30 foot telescopic pole that was rusty. After cleaning it up and putting a new coat of paint on it we raised it up to about 25 feet and ran the antenna cable into my room. Works almost great. Heres the speed test.

»www.speedtest.net/result/1287149766.png

Warning:I almost shitted my pants when the adapter that came with the antenna wouldnt fit the usb modem but if you got a steady hand and a nice sharp knife, just cut a little of the plastic out of the modem so you can fit the external antenna adapter onto the ext antenna port on the usb modem.

To me it seems like the speed test is wrong. Cricket provides a software program that starts the connection for the usb modem and it gives me real time statistics and it maxes out around 600 kbps watching youtube. The whole household is able to use my connection since I share the connection from the usb modem to my wireless router so whenever my computer is connected. the household is connected. Im looking into a 3g wireless router but seems a bit expensive for what they do. But for now this is working just right. Lets see what that broadband plan actually does (if anything).

-Update 6/22/11

-.-, So last month my service went out, Forgot it was prepaid so paid it right away and it was connected the next day. This months payment came around so I decided to pay it a week in advance so did so on the 15th. The cut off date arrives and BAM, everything leads me back to the cricket site. So I decided to give the CSR's a shot. I made a big mistake.

I called them, told the automated guy my info and got transfered to someone, they didnt sound like they were from India so that was a relief. Told the guy my problem and said I even have a confirmation number and he said let me transfer you over to tech support. Got transfered to tech support and the lady said let me transfer you over to broadband then said she couldnt and gave me the number. After writing it down and calling it, I found it was the number I just called......

So called them again and told them my problem. The guy said let me transfer you over to tech support. I said I was just transfered over to tech support and they said they couldnt help me and to give you guys a call again. He said Oh, let me look for the right number. A minute later he says im going to transfer you to the right place. I said ok and got transfered. Now I hit some India guy named bobby or some shit like that and I told him "my services just got disconnected and I paid a week before the cut off date, is their anyway you can help me? I got a confirm number from the payment I made". After I told him my problem, CLICK. He hanged up on me. I lold. Wow, really? This is pathetic. Seems like those reps are only good for telling you how to reset your phone by taking out your battery. This is one shitty company TBH.

Cricket is my only internet option as of now. I do get all the big boy companies like AT&T, TMO, Sprint but dont want to get in a contract since I see AT&T working on a possible DSLAM near our house, I could live with a 150GB cap. Cricket works good when it works but when it doesnt, its a pain in the ass to talk to CSR's. And when I paid my bill wayyyy in advance to avoid service interuptions and still get cut off, that really pisses me off.

Screw you cricket

Update

Its been working pretty decent lately. I can watch youtube with little to no buffer. Ive been playing l4d2 on steam and my ping on servers range from 140-280ms. Its been a little laggy but still good (unless something is updating in the background, its gona lag). What I dont like is that it tries to auto dial when I turn on the computer. Since its not set up for that, it does it a few times and I cant connect during the 5 times it warns me. There probably is a easy fix for that, I just need to sit down and tinker with it. It also bugs me that when all that auto dial stuff goes away, I can connect when I have the max of 3 EVDO bars and once im connected, it will stay at 1 bar. By disconnecting and connecting seems to fix it but also gets annoying. And one last thing. I can turn on the internet at 8am and it would disconnect itself around 6-8pm. not sure why it does that but connecting again seems to fix it. I just dread the payment deadline. Even if I pay on time I will be disconnected for 1-2 days. Its bullshit but I guess thats how it works. Im gona give those cricket cards a shot and see if it wont delay activating the services again.

Update 12/12/11

I bought a cradlepoint MBR95 for my cricket modem and I might say it works pretty well. There has been times where it would say theres no internet connection but if I plug the modem into my pc, shows I get 3/5 bars. One of the firmware updates were pissing me off, it would turn off the wireless function or disable the cricket modem to where it wouldnt connect. Ive been using v3.2.4 and it works just fine.

THE END! WOOT!

So this is my last update of my cricket service. It recently started going downhill where I was reaching dial up speeds. Said screw it, going to someone else. I went with Millenicom and getting speeds like this

[URL=http://www.speedtest.net][IMG]»www.speedtest.net/result/1689145···G][/URL]

I have 15 days of my cricket service left, really not worth the hassle. It was good while it lasted cricket, but ill enjoy my 20GB cap vs the 5GB cap YOU NEVER TOLD ME ABOUT!

The End.

member for 6.3 years, 3054 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: San Diego,San Diego,CA
Good "Your money is excepted fast!"
Bad "Extremely poor customer service and internet speed"
Overall "I upgraded from $40/mo. to $50. After a week, back to snails pace. In Aug. customers will be charged $5 extra per mo"

Cricket Broadband - Very poor Internet speed and customer service, mainly automated..could eat lunch, take an hour nap before a broken English Tech rep assist you! Does it solve the snail pace issues..absolutely not!! Trust me you will need to call more than several times! I see bankruptcy in the very near futre for Cricket Snail Band!!!

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by MacBridger See Profile

• Location: Smithton,Westmoreland,PA
Good "mobile"
Bad "slow speeds, dial up latency, frequent disconnects, not unlimited"
Overall "Only good for people who need internet while mobile"

·Verizon Online DSL
I live in a small town in southwest PA. We don't have a cable company, and I'm too far from the CO for DSL. Options for broadband are very limited. Until recently, it was pretty much satellite or nothing. In the last few months, I had noticed that wireless broadband was being offered. After doing some research I found two companies offering wireless service here. Verizon and Cricket. After comparing the two, cricket seemed the better deal.

I was told by a sales rep that the service can get speeds upwards of 700 kbps down. Thankfully, they have displays set up in their stores, so I was able to test it firsthand. The tests from the store were not encouraging, as the best speed test result I got was a mere 111 kbps down. Keeping that in mind, I bought a modem, UTStarcom UM100C, for $180 and paid the $25 activation fee. Thankfully, they have an instant rebate on the modem right now, plus an additional mail in rebate. ($70 and $50 respectively) The first month of service is also free.

Ordering was painless. I just went into the store and bought it. Brought the modem home, installed it and was up and running. A few notes on the installation: The modem requires 2, yes 2 USB ports. Also, it is important to install the software from the CD first. You will be prompted to connect the modem when it is time to do so. I'd also like to note the return policy. While I haven't had to use the policy, you lose the activation fee once you use the service. In addition, you only have 3 days to return the modem after you activate it. So I'd suggest you make sure you have good cell reception before you try to get this service.

UPDATE: Having had the service for some time now, I'm quite pleased with it. Speeds are widely variable, but are generally between 300 and 500 kbps down. Latency has been ranging between 150 and 350 ms. You're not going to be tearing up multi-player shooters with this connection.

It has been extremely reliable also. I have only been disconnected once, and that was after being connected for 26 hours. I have not had to deal with tech support yet. Hopefully I won't have to. I'd recommend this to anyone over dial up or satellite. So if you can't get DSL or cable, try this out.

UPDATE: I've had Cricket for 3 months now. The biggest problem has been frequent outages. So far, it seems to average 2 outages a month for 2-3 hours at a time. I have been without stable internet 3 times this week. None of these issues have been with signal quality either.

The bandwidth is still decent. I can usually stream video, but it's borderline and sometimes choppy. Latency has been really good of late. (For this connection) Pings have been ranging from 150 ms to 300 ms, but usually right around 200 ms. I'm not burning up the gaming lanes, but they are playable.

Tech support seems competent, but I have not gone through any troubleshooting with them yet. Each time I have called they had already declared an outage and admitted to a problem on their end. The techs I have spoken with were all friendly and spoke clear, concise English.

One suggestion if anyone at Cricket happens to read this. Put outage information on your phone prompts! Not only will it save your customers a half hour hold, it will save your techs a ton of time sorting through outages and getting to other issues.

UPDATE: Things have recently gone downhill in a big way. Throughput has dropped to sub 56k speeds and I get disconnected frequently. My average speed as of this morning was 9kbps. And I just got disconnected again while typing this update... I would no longer recommend Cricket over dial up. While I still see an occasional speed burst above 56k, it is far too slow, inconsistent and unstable for a primary ISP.

Upon calling tech support I found out that my connection issues were due to the throttling from going over the 5GB cap. I am perplexed as to why they throttled me back to under 10kbps, but there you have it.

Final Update: Last summer I moved to an area with cable and DSL available, so I switched to Comcast. At the time of the move my Cricket service was little more (or less) than dial up. 300 ms latency with downloads under 40 kbps. And 40 kbps was the high end burst. Speeds typically ranged from 9-20 kbps and that was while under the 5 GB cap. (Yes, I started watching my bandwidth carefully after being throttled)

If the service is still as it was for the last 6 months I had it then I couldn't recommend it to anyone. The only possible use would be for someone who constantly travels and needs to access the internet. Even then, there must be better, more stable options.

member for 13.8 years, 4785 visits, last login: a few minutes ago

Comments:

Review by Inkosaurus See Profile

• Location: Raymondville,Willacy,TX
Good "Quick install, no need for a tech visit."
Bad "Terrible customer support, sloooow."
Overall "Only get it if its the only option in town."

I have the 50$ monthly package, with cricket currently speeds are the same across the packages the only different is the FAP limit (or atleast in my area that is).

I live in slightly rural south texas, and when i say slightly rural i mean i live about 50 yards out of my towns cable infrastructure. So DSL is unfortunately not an option for me, not until enough of my neighbors decide to request decent internet atleast. But thats neither here nor there.

Prior to getting cricket i used a local telephone companies internet service, that they provided via satellite and canopy radio system. It was roughly 60$ for 60kbs a month (yes 60kbs), and they had a fap threshold set at 10gb a month that was per pay cycle (not through rolling period or what ever cricket calls it). I left them to try out a different isp, which was cricket.

My first day with the system i honestly can say the only thing that pleased me was the quick install. Once i was going i had about 5kbs download speed, it took 20 minutes to download the opera browser on my new pc.

I figured hey maybe the firmware was behind, i checked updates and there actually was an update that needed to be done. So i set up the download, it took a total of 5 attempts to download this 15mb update. Mainly because the cricket modem kept disconnecting. After the download was installed. I saw absolutely no increase in speed what so ever.

So i called into customer support. My day job when im not in school is actually customer support for a satellite television provider in a call center. So i can kind of tell when someone is really reaching for an excuse to get you off the phones.

First agents excuse was : Your modem was barely activated wait 24 hours and the speeds will increase.

Second agent excuse: your payment for the modem is still processing, wait for it to pass in 5 days and your speed will increase.

third agents excuse: Hung up.

fourth agents excuse: theres maintenance being done in the area.

Also from my experience calling into cricket support, and from my experience working in the industry my first guess is that there call centers get paid per phone call they take in rather then per phone call resolved. So that could explain why there so eager to feed you BS and get you off the call. That or they dont know what there doing/need more training. In any case your better off loading up google on your slow speed and troubleshooting any issues yourself.

Dont bother disputing the bill either, theyll just hang up.

It turns out the modem is actually very finicky, even with full bars and service depending on how still it is and placement it can either go from a max of 120kbs to a minimum of 60bytes (yes ive seen lows in the bytes, i have rainmeter actively gaging my net speed now).

At the height of my happyness with cricket (which was about 20 minutes one random afternoon), the speeds were about 165kbs, thats where it maxed out at. Then swiftly went back down to about 15kbs. Dependant on placement of the usb modem i can sometimes manage to maintain a 30kbs-40kbs download speed. But ping times are absolutely terrible, which make for even playing flash games a terrible experience.

For the record i also play a mmorpg called Dofus, its a flash/turn based mmo, it uses very minimal bandwidth and even cricket can barely support this when i know people who run it using dial up.

I havent reached my 5gb fap threshold , only because the speed i get isnt fast enough for me to even do this in a month. Ive also tested it out in several areas in my city and even larger cities as well. Have not seen any increase at all. Maybe its a texas thing.

I will be returning to my previous internet provider, even though the speed offered in the price is absurd atleast i will have the piece of mind knowing that i wont get disconnected every 15 minutes or having to deal with having to load up a forum webpage with bytes per second connection.

Over all, skip cricket. I would sooner move to another home before i run into cricket again.
*Copies and pastes this post into a note pad, i know this wont be my first attempt at trying to post this on the forum*

edit:

Well today is my last day with cricket, i guess the only upside to being with them is the fact that theres no contract. I will be returning to my previous ISP, even though the speed they offer doesnt have the potential of getting the max speed i got once upon a time through cricket i atleast have piece of mind in knowing it will never dip below there proposed minimums as well.

Honestly to whom ever is considering getting this, atleast in the south texas area. Just skip it, i tested it in every major city in the rio grande valley and it was absolute crap. Not once in any area of testing it did it reach anywhere near the proposed speeds listed in there ads. And yes im aware of the fine print, thats the case for every ISP. But this... was just sad. With this update i will include a screen capture of my rainmeter dock that monitors my net usage and speed.

If your fine living with speeds that are archaic and predate even dial up industry standards, then by all means get cricket. If you actually need the internet to even check email or facebook get yourself a real ISP.

Comments:

Review by ArizonaSteve See Profile

• Location: Apache Junction,Pinal,AZ
Good "Cheap Dongle only $30 But They Make It Up In High Monthly Fees!"
Bad "Bait & Switch Price, Slow, Frequent Disconnects!"
Overall "Initally Faster Than Virgin Mobile But Too Little Data To Do Much."

They don't provide enough data to do anything much except check email occasionally if you have it set to text only and hopefully nobody will send you any attachments! When Virgin Mobile speed dropped to 56K it became unusable and they capped it at 5Gb then reduced that to 2.5Gb but by then it was too slow to use so I decided to drop them and try Cricket Broadband since they advertise "unlimited data" for just $30/mo and the USB dongle is just $30 at Walmart.

Cricket is practicing Consumer Fraud with Bait & Switch though since they are advertising "unlimited data" for just $30/mo on TV and on the front of the box but when you open the box it says that $30/mo only gets you 1Gb of data a month!

The dialer or connection manager Cricket provides is more full featured than most. While the Virgin Mobile dialer only provides an indication of being connected with signal strength the Cricket dialer displays signal strength, up and download speeds and has tabs to show Statistics and connection history with total data downloaded and several things including text messages. Having text messages means you will get SPAM text messages though and there's no way to block them!

Speed was initally a bit faster than VM and tested at 1Mb down at first but it's since slowed down to 70k on the highly optimistic speedtest dot net test. It will not work to play videos at that slow speed and there is not enough data available to do that anyway so I tried using it to just play internet radio stations just to use up the 1Gb of data I paid for. I quickly ran into problems though because I was frequently disconnected so it's a real pain to have to keep manually reconnecting in order to keep the station playing. Also the dialer goes dormant everytime it's not sending data and sometimes never wakes up or just disconnects at random.

This uses CDMA and works pretty much like Sprint and Virgin Moblie, even installing the USB dongle as a modem on a serial port but it doesn't seem to use Sprint's PCS network even though it's also on 1900Mhz. A trace route shows it going to Cricket's network then right to Level3 and on to the destination. Since it doesn't get lost in the Sprint network like data from Virgin Mobile does you would think it would be a lot faster connecting right to Level3.

Due to being horribly over priced this service is worthless except for a backup in emergencies when nothing else is available and you just need to check email. But that's if it is working and it didn't even last but a few days before getting too slow to use.

»www.speedtest dot net/result/1153122403.png

Some shills for the company have made comments that it must be customer/user error so for comparison I tried T-Mobile broadband using another USB adapter on the same laptop in the same location and got pretty fast speeds of 3Mb down/1.2Mb up! That really puts Virgin Mobile and Cricket to SHAME!

T-Mobile data is INSANELY Expensive though costing $50/mo for just 1Gb of data so I was only able to afford to use it for one day to do the tests using the "unlimited daypass" costing $1.49/day. At that price it would cost me $200 just to watch a movie on Netflix!

»www.speedtest dot net/result/1171282445.png

Comments:

Review by blackwdow666 See Profile

• Location: Pittsburgh,Allegheny,PA

All i can say is Cricket BROADBAND SUCKS ....when i called to get information and order it they never told me certain things bout the service....for instance i had it for 2 weeks after that it ran slow...i called it took me 4 hours to get a hold of customer service and then i told the man on phone whats up puter is running slower than a snail he then tells me maybe it is my computer i told him THAT IT IS A NEW LAPTOP BOUGHT IT THE SAME DAY I GOT THIS SHITTY SERVICE...then he proceeds to tell me that i went over usage...i told him no one told me if i go over usage that this would happen then i told him their is a 30 day money back guarentee i want my money back then he tells me i cant cause i used 2 weeks of service then he tells me if i want to have the service for the remaining weeks i can give him 10 more dollars i told him u can stick the usage up your ass i will NOT PAY ANYTHING ELSE FOR THIS CRAPPY SERVICE...I TOLD HIM I WISH WHEN I ORDERED THIS THAT SOMEONE THERE WITH HALF A BRAIN CELL WOULD TELL ME IF I WENT OVER MY USAGE THAT THIS WOULD HAPPEN AND IWILL TELL E1 NOT TO GET THIS SERVICE..CAUSE ALL U DO ARE RIPPING OFF THE CONSUMERS....AND IF U DO DECIDE TO GET THIS SERVICE..ITS NOT REALLY UNLIMITED COMPUTER THE MORE U ARE ON IT THE MORE U HAVE TO GIVE THEM I LEARNED THE HARD WAY...AND TOMMORROW 3/25/2011 I WILL HAVE WHAT I PAYED FOR UNLIMITED NO MORE USAGE FOR ME...CRICKET BROADBAND IS A RIP OFFFFFF..I WOULDNT EVEN BUY THEIR 3G PHONE THAT RUNS SLOW ALSO I HAVE HEARD MY FREINDS SAY....

Comments:

Review by MReynold

• Location: Madera,Madera,CA
Good "N/A"
Bad "Worst Customer Service. Cannot contact anyone..!"

Had my Cricket Broadband account suspended without notifying me. Received an e-mail notifying me that my Visa card was soon expiring and i needed to update it with new card. I called Cricket Tech. support and the agent told me he could not update my expiration date due to the fact that i had to have automatic payment withdrawal setup. I told him i DID..! That the amount was taken every 15th of every month. He still argued with me about not being able to update my credit card information.!!!! I then tried to make a payment of $41.00 on the My Cricket website but it would not process my payment due to a white screen appearing on the website after i put my payment amount on..! Then tried to call Tech Support and could never get hold of a "live" agent to fix my problem. The Tech Support website is the WORSE..! If you don't tell the automated voice response exactly what you need, the recorded

message will say try again later and then "Disconnect" You...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(review was emailed from domain sunmaid.com)