Cricket Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by arrowslinger See Profile

• Location: Waukegan,Lake,IL
Good "Decent speeds that do not bounce around"
Bad "Pricey"
Overall "I use it at work so works out well."

My purchase started from a Sprint call asking why my data has spiked? Me like a dummy "well ya see I am using my phone at work........"

Sprint employee: That is a no no (here he actually freakin snickered!) but we can set you up to use our 30.00 a month data plan sir.

Me: But I already pay for unlimited data?

Sprint employee: O no sir we are talking apples and oranges here, your using data via a hot spot.

Me: Yea its in the phone with your companies logo stamped all over it?

Sprint employee: I understand that sir but not long ago sprint decided not to allow...............................

At this point I made an excuse to hang up grrrrr been with them five years.

Anyway not to risk losing my sprint service, increasing the contract and a new phone. I started just a few minutes ago using crickets broadband mobile, 45 a month and I can decide when I no longer need it.

The install of the a A605 modem was painless just plug in accept install.

Connect to internet is quick first speed test was 1.5Mbps will update later from first evening use at work.

I only used 3gb of data tethering my phone in a month so I cant see using up the 7.5gb

I play an online game theHunter and connection works fine.

I love the fact I can pay by the month.

Comments:

Review by scottymead See Profile

• Location: Post Falls,Kootenai,ID
Good "Being able to take your internet service anywhere"
Bad "Nothing"
Overall "LOVE IT"

I dont know whats up with all the other peoples reviews but I love the service, it works great for me, but then again all I do pretty much is Facebook and Email, I watched a netflix movie the other night and it worked great, YouTube works no problem as well.

member for 7 years, 2356 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Rejected One See Profile

• Location: Wilmington,New Castle,DE
Good "reliable works the way i thought it would"
Bad "not being able to use OpenDNS, 5gig cap"
Overall "compared to my other options this works great."

ok i ordered this online went smooth. waited for the wireless card to come about 4 days.

install was simple plugged it in and the software auto ran just click next a few times. then it tests the modem and registers it. all in all it took like 7 min from box to online.

for me this was the only option that made sense. i had a choice of the following
dialup - lol that just made me cry on a daily basis

verizon 5 gig at 79.99 and 0.25 per MB over. i will never get any service with these folks. i was gonna go with them to begin with but they said i needed to go to the office im handicapped and getting to there closest office wasnt an option. but said i could fax them my social security card. lol they claimed its for my protection but how would they know i am who i said i am with no photo I.D. with it. but neway

speeds very from 120 - 700 kbps which is fine for me.

shame i cant change DNS with them or have windows auto dial the modem but you have to use their app.

i have had no service problems, some lag but its wireless its expected.

they would have a greater service if they allowed other dns and a larger cap i come close to the 5 gig and sometimes over but there is no overage charge but you do get throttled even throttled i was going faster then my dialup

member for 11 years, 1949 visits, last login: 2 days ago

Comments:

Review by mark760 See Profile

• Location: Mchenry,Mchenry,IL
Good "easy!"
Bad "no blazing speed"
Overall "dependable and easy to use"

no drama install, everything pops up in 10 minutes and is ready to go. 600 up and down. Not earth shattering but all I need.

******update 2-4-10********** Everything still going good. Dependable and good signal. Everywhere I look there are antenna towers for Cellular phones, which means my area is covered very well for signal.

Comments:

Review by mikeschmid See Profile

• Location: Langhorne,Bucks,PA
Good "good service"
Bad "limited service area"
Overall "It is worth the 70.00"

cricket wireless' service is best for laptops but not good for desktops but can be used if there is no other services in your area. they use 3G network and once you get the modem card that is a USB and activate the device you have instant access to the internet. there is a limit to the service, if you have no service because of no cell towers in your area you will be SOL :-( but check with your local cricket rep and make sure that your area has service . But if you do and can afford the service it is worth it.

Comments:

Review by zweberjv See Profile

• Location: Xenia,Greene,OH
Good "Preferable to satellite, Easy to install, Shareable to home network"
Bad "Slower than cable or DSL"
Overall "Works as advertised."

I replaced my WildBlue satellite broadband with Cricket wireless on my main home desktop PC. They have one speed, unlimited usage, but will slow you down if you exceed the limit (5GB per month, I believe) and we have hit that. Cricket has a better fair usage approach than WildBlue.

The online order process was good and the install was easy. I received a Cal-Comp A600 USB modem. Everything works as advertised so far. I am still in the waiting period for the rebate, so I can't comment about the rebate yet.

Comments:

Review by Green Day See Profile

• Location: Mesa,Maricopa,AZ
Good "It works and does what it says"
Bad "Not high speed."
Overall "Good as a short term solution."

Bought after a house fire and needed temporary internet in a temporary living space. It cost $87 out the door with a promotion, and we will get a mail in rebate. I came home and expected high speed (atleast 2mb) but the speed result I got was 600kb/50kb which sucked and I was extremely dissapointed at first because I thought it was going to be fast, as they advertised. It's not. But, it's reliable. It's an 1x-EVDO rev. 0 network, which dissapointed me as I thought it'd be 3G (my cricket phone is - or it says it is).

Anyway, after a few days of using it, It doesn't feel any different surfing the web and I wouldn't know the difference from a cable line, until I start downloiading. Download speeds vary from 50 to 80kb/s. It's stable though, and so it's a good solution for me right now. I also love that I can go anywhere with it.

As I said, I got it to use short term while recooperating from a fire. This is not something I'd use long term, under any circumstances. For a few months while getting resettled though, it works great.

member for 7.9 years, 2085 visits, last login: 2.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by azhuskerfan See Profile

• Location: Tucson,Pima,AZ
Good "Price, No contract, Quite Fast, Easy setup, FREE USB modem!"
Bad "None yet, although it does have limitations where it can be used. No problem otherwise."
Overall "Great product... so far. I have used it for 3 weeks now."

Is this as fast as Cox Cable, NO. Should it be? NO

For mobile broadband, it is outstanding! I can even watch my Slingbox in VERY good quality with zero dropouts. I can drive all over town listening to streaming audio. Web pages come up VERY fast, even graphic-intensive pages do quite well.

So far, I am SOLD!

The only bad part was walking into the Cricket dealer and having to deal with all the losers and misfits of society yelling and screaming about their phone being shut off "for no reason." Seriously, I don't mean to be a snob, but the clientele are a bunch a bottom-feeders at best. The showroom actually had an armed security guard. Can't say I have seen that at the AT&T store 2 minutes away up the street. I have an iPhone and have used AT&T for years. I guess I was surprised to see the HUGE difference in customer service (although the rep that served me was VERY nice) and the overall low-rent way they operate. I would suggest mail order to you from Cricket.

No matter what, however... this Cricket USB Broadband Card is a keeper. I will do another update when I start visiting more places outside of my home areas of Tucson and Phoenix, Arizona.

Comments:

Review by Derch See Profile

• Location: Tulsa,Tulsa,OK
Good "Extremely fast setup and go-live on my laptop, cheaper than other wireless services."
Bad "Speed can be better (250/50k) and you can only purchase a USB device."
Overall "If you want to save money, this will do (or until U-Verse fiber goodness comes knocking on my door)."

What can I say, I'm sort of impressed how easy it was from when I asked questions before giving them my CC to now... being online without hording other wireless signals from my neighbors with a pringles can antenna. So far so good... I'll update as I use this service.

Latest as of 01/25/2009:

Except for a couple of hiccups over the weekend, solid connection. BTW- the service isn't capped: they toggle your connection down the more you go over 5GB's... or at least that was what the Engineer told me. I'm able to route my work VPN connection without issues as well. So far so good.

member for 9.8 years, 1999 visits, last login: 1 days ago

Comments:

Review by DHeine See Profile

• Location: Las Vegas,Clark,NV
Good "Easy setup. stable connection"
Bad "Bandwidth is not broadband comparable, more like ISDN"
Overall "It's a good choice if you don't have access to DSL/Cable"

I live in an area that doesn't have DSL or Cable service at this time so when I saw the add for Broadband connection to the Internet for only $40/mo. I thought that this was the solution I was looking for. Within minutes from purchasing the service, I was connected to the Internet.

The speed is fast enough to load most web pages quickly. If you are looking to watch any video clips online, be prepared for choppy viewing. It's speed is acceptable for light to moderate usage and the connection is very reliable.

The biggest disappointment is the bandwidth that they give you. The fastest speed that I have seen is more in line with ISDN connection speeds, better than dial-up but nothing comparable to broadband or DSL..