Bruce Telecom page on DSLReports

Review by lampskin See Profile

• Location: Paisley,ON
Good "very knowledgeable tech support, helpful friendly phone tech support, local"
Bad "poor value compared to performance and speed, horrible customer service, "
Overall "With other options available in Bruce County, BMTS needs to get their head in the game to keep customers"

I ordered 6 Mb/s 7 years ago, which was fast at the time, for 35/month.

Since I became a customer, I have had some bizarre and disturbing experiences with Bruce Telecom. I would like to recount some of my stories below:

1. Tech support call dispatched a tech to my house after internet stopped working. He declared that the wiring to my house was outdated. I asked him simple questions as to the details and nature of the repair work that he was performing. Conversation was as follows
Me: "I noticed you just cut a few lines in my house, and you just ripped out a phone jack, can you please let me know what the issue is, so I can understand what the problem is?"
Tech: "Do you want me to work on your house or not, if not then I don't need to be here, I have other things to do"
Me: "If you can't tell me at least a general description of what the issue is, or what you are doing, then maybe I should get someone else"
Tech: "Ok fine, see you later...."(leaves wires hanging out of my wall, packs up stuff and drives off)

2. Separate incident involving bad run of cable that needed to be replaced: Tech came to replace cable. Ran a temporary length across my front lawn. Called up customer service 3 times to ask them to bury it. Was 6 months before it was buried, during which time I ran over the cord once with the lawnmower and once with the snowblower.

3. Most recent incident: Internet was slow, for 7 months. Paid for 6 Mb/s, getting 0.5 Mb/s. Called tech support, who immediately knew what the issue was. I was on an "old" network. Took them 5 seconds to switch me over. Why was the issue only resolved when I called to complain? Do they not execute performance checks on the network to make sure customers are getting the service they are paying for?

4. Cannot even cancel my service without fumbling. I called to cancel my survice. Customer support was very clear that my last day of service was Jan 31. Jan 15th, I come home to find my internet disconnected. Took them 4 days to reconnect. Blamed me for giving them the wrong date.

5. Found a bill for 800(EIGHT HUNDRED!) dollars in my mailbox for monthly service one month. Called to ask why so expensive. Customer service told me someone made a simple adding mistake.

I really did want to like Bruce Telecom, seeing how they are a local service. Unfortunately I've had enough.

Comments:

Review by nbinont See Profile

• Location: Alliston,ON
Good "Knowledgeable, well manged service"
Bad "Slower website updates"
Overall "Good Service"

Didn't see many reviews for BMI Internet here, so I thought I'd contribute one.

Got DSL setup at my parent's place back in 2003 or so (wow, has it been that long?). Initially had some fun getting Bell to provision the line due to Bell being Bell. Support was very knowledgeable and walked us through troubleshooting the line.

Initially the line was provisioned with their then-top-of-the-line service (3Mbit). We moved profiles a few times, and eventually maxed out the line at 4Mbit when they started offering faster profiles.

They have since started offering even faster services in their core areas, but given our location, we can't get anything better than our current ADSL1. (We'd need to be closer for ADSL2+ to help - or further away for ADSL2+RE to help!)

They don't seem to be in a rush to advertise new DSL services, and didn't seem to update their website for a while when they moved from 3Mbit to 5Mbit service tiers.

The rental modem died on us once (over 8 years), and they sent us a new replacement promptly. They even exchanged the replacement modem for another original model modem when the new model didn't perform well on our line.

Ping time is usually ~60ms or so.

Overall quite pleased with their service.

**** Update 2012:

Interference on the DSL line appears to be getting worse (or maybe I'm just noticing it more)...not quite BMI's fault (as it is a Bell line), but unpleasant to have a 2-3second period of lost packets sporadically every few minutes or hours.

member for 3.6 years, 751 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Michini See Profile

• Location: Paisley,ON
Good "None at all"
Bad "Literally everything"
Overall "Horrible, horrible company."

I called them and asked for phone and internet last Monday, the lady said that we'd be able to get a really good internet connection where we live and I was very excited.

Though to get that answer, I had to wait about 4 hours, she told me to give her a number that should could reach me at... She called about 5 different times saying different things, and she kept messing up.

Then I went in on Thursday to put my $200.00 deposit down and the lady in there confirmed everything for me, and said that a technician would be out on Monday!

Monday passes, so I call at 5PM that evening asking where the technician was. I was told that there were no scheduled technicians to come to my house that day and that they would send someone in the morning. All right fair enough, I chose to wait like the nice person that I am.

The technician calls and says he'll be there by noon... We call and ask where he is and what he needs to bring. He doesn't show up until 4PM and doesn't have ANY of the right equipment! Like what the h.e. double hockey sticks is up with that? The real kicker, his response to us asking what he's going to do? "Oh well, it's the end of my shift and I have my evening and tomorrow planned out already so I can come on Thursday. Oh, you also can't get our internet out here." He leaves. I try the phone out at least, it is completely fuzzy I can barely hear my husband on it and I'm only 20 years old.

So I called them on Wednesday at 10:30AM and asked to cancel my services with them and for my money back, they're too much of a hassle and really slow. I didn't pay $200.00 for a phone that.. well frankly, my cell phone has better reception than it does.

The lady at customer service said she'd call me right back (suprise, suprise) and that she didn't know if I could get my money back... No response. I call at 12:30PM (since she never phoned back) and explained my situation, another lady picked up and said she would be 'right on it' and would do her best to get my money back as soon as possible. (Like to see that).

Now I'm just waiting for my money to find it's way back to me.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the lady that answered at 10:30AM added extra charges to my account? Yes, she did. I got that straightened away really quick.

I hate idiots.

So, all in all, I never recieved any of the services I asked for, and I got a butt load of hassle over it.

I would NOT recommend this company to even my worst of enemies.

Comments:

Review by Merv See Profile

• Location: Port Elgin,ON
Good "None"
Bad "Very poor service"
Overall "Slow!"

In this area there is no choice but to used Bruce Telecom (BMTS), they now are putting their tv programing ahead of the internet so the tv gets priority over the internet. As of 2010 we now have a choice of Eastlink.

Comments:

Review by lampskin See Profile

• Location: Paisley,ON
Good "tech support"
Bad "connection speed"
Overall "bad connection speed, low bitrate"

·Bruce Telecom
I get 112 kb/s download and 412 kb/s upload

I'm paying 35 bucks a month, with advertised speeds of up to 5 mb/s.

I'm not happy.
Disconnects are fairly frequent as well.

I wish there were other ISPs in my area.