Mark Twain Rural Telephone Company page on DSLReports

Review by jwichman See Profile

• Location: Emden,Shelby,MO
Good "Excellent performance and service ayt a fair price"
Bad "Internet support line can't debug a hardware problem."
Overall "Amazing services and good support for a 5,000 customer coop"

Fortunately, this a good company, as it is your only choice except for Satellite or dial-up with toll-free access.

DSL Internet access starts at $25 for 768kbs/256 and speeds of up to 4.0/1.0mbs ($79.95) are available. Prices have dropped twice and the minimums increased across the board once.

I had the original repeater connection at 384kbps and I've upped my speed twice.
Once when Fiber-Optic made it to the "last mile" and a greater speed became available and again when the price was dropped about $10.

I've had the 1.5mbps/512kbps package for at least three years now and the current price is $40.95.

A self-install is $65 and a full-service install is $95. Paradyne or compatible ADSL modems are provided at no charge as are three DSL filters.
Other services such as wireless & WI-MAX are provided to other nearby communities.
See here for a list of services and prices: »www.marktwaintelephone.com/internet.html

In 8 years, the few service calls I've had either been last mile related such as wet wires, and ants in the DMARK. I've had a couple of modem replacements (one at the CO, one at the Fire/Copper junction and one or two inside.

All have been resolved and mostly the same day.

Comments:

Review by mjscnb See Profile

• Location: Lancaster,Schuyler,MO
Good "Better Than Satellite and Dial up!"
Bad "Speed, Often Drops out"
Overall "If you can get something else, do it!"

We had no other options for broadband, so we were happy when we could get wireless instead of satellite, And I still think it was better, but it was still bad. The connection dropped out all the time, and we never even came close to the advertised speed, but if you have no other choice except for wireless or satellite, then get Mark Twain. It's certainly better than satellite! The Tech Support was outsourced and I couldnt understand them half the time...but to their credit, when it was finally referred to Mark Twain, They usually called me the next day. If you can get dsl, then by all means, get that!!!

Comments: