old twc page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by JMaczCary See Profile

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Reliable, get advertised speeds most times"
Bad "CSR unfamiliar with BYOD modem activation, expensive w/o TV pack"
Overall "Best you can get here. Hoping for AT&T Giga and Google fiber competition"

After some repairs a couple of yrs ago, solid servive. On 20/2 Mbs plan. Took 3 hrs and 2 calls to install BYOD modem

Comments:

Review by scatman See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "Speeds posting at ordered package"
Bad "Nothing much to say bad anymore"
Overall "Don't settle for a shotty connection, they seem to strive for excellent customer support"

Ordered on 05/05/12 and was installed on 05/12/12. Connection was great for first couple of months. Then started to experience frequent disconnects and re-syncing of the modem in mid to late July to present (first week of Aug.)

Will have had a 3rd tech visit out this Thurs. the 9th of Aug. Line from house to tap was replaced on 08/07 and still experiencing drops along with a new wireless router/modem, but so far seem to occur less frequently, but line readings were still unacceptable per a call back to tech support on the evening of Aug. 7th. Will update after next tech support visit.

If the construction dept. has to be involved in any repair plan on 3-5 business days minimum for the repair to be complete.

08/09/12 - 3rd technician visit showed that wireless modem/router offered by TWC was the issue even after a new drop was ran from house to tap. Tech swapped out with a straight through modem and line readings were within specs. I bumped up connection reliability to 3 stars as I haven't had a single drop since installing the new modem. Installed a new N600 netgear dualband wireless router that evening. Initially had trouble, but after cloning MAC of NIC in desktop that was previously connected to the modem the connection started to work. TWC teir3 support was unable to flush the cached MAC address and didn't readily recommend cloning the MAC within the router which should be something teir3 should be well aware of. If connection continues to hold solid will update in a few weeks.

10/08/12 - Connection has been solid since the last post. Upgrading connection reliability. Loving the speeds. Keep up the good service TWC.

06/26/14 - Connection has been great still. Just received a letter that I'm getting an upgrade to 300/20 from 100/5 with no extra charge. SWEET NEWS! Just ordered the new modem at no additional charge as well. TWC just keeps getting better. Update the star ratings too. Well deserved ratings.

Comments:

scatman

speedtest on 08/11/12

before and after stability issues speeds always post at packaged rates

Corona, CA

Latest speed test only to get faster soon

New router installed...

Review by Keefer21 See Profile

• Location: Hilton,Monroe,NY
Good "Customer service, Tech's, Uptime."
Bad "Installtion time frames, wait time for the next appointment, VOD, Guides. "
Overall "Better than frontier on its best day. The price is a little steep but the uptime is amazing and you cant find better tech's."

2003.

My contract with the telco for my T1 & PRI phone service was up and i ordered the "All the best package" from TWC, Digital cable, Digital phone & Standard Road Runner. somewhere in the neighborhood of 120$/Month

That was my first cable services install. i was very impressed with the tech & installation. everything worked great. Cant remember any major outages or tech visits after that point for a very long time.

2005

The Arris combo voice/Data modem i had decided it did not want to produce dial tone anymore, During the tech's visit to modem swap i asked what higher speed packages were available to me & decided to upgrade to turbo. Once again i was happy with the speed & still experiencing little to no outages & had a pleasant tech visit. Paying around 140$

2007

Started experiencing issues with everything. Slow & dropping internet connection, Cable box reboots & pixels like crazy.

Started with new boxes, and a new eMTA & Cable modem. Problems still not solved. in talking to some neighbors i wasn't the only subscriber with issues.

My case was escalated to a supervisor & eventually escalated to line department. Not happy about the situation but impressed with how my problems were handled. I was put on a retention package and my bill was cut in half for 12 months. I was promised the line department would be making its way to my street to fix the problems ASAP.

A few weeks after that i woke up to my services working flawlessly & later noticed the single silver/gray cable line on the poles down my street was now 3 or so black lines & some new green alpha boxes appeared after that.

2009

Moving to a new home, Set up a Moving installation a month a head of time. everything checked out on both ends. The move in date came and went 9/12/2009.

No one showed up. Called to see what had happened and was told that my appointment was bounced out of the system because my address is "not serviceable" and i had to have a site survey done. Very upset at this point. My new home is rural but i can clearly see out my window a cable tap that all my neighbors are connected to, Not to mention the cable that is already on & in my house.

9/28/2009 The site survey is done, i talk with a very nice confused surveyor who cant believe he is here.. he lets me know what i already know and apologizes for the inconvenience & makes a call for me while he's still in my driveway.

Now im stuck with no connection to the outside world. My cellphone doesn't work until i walk down the street and since i was planning on using digital phone i didn't sign up for frontier, Im forced to sign up for DSL & Home phone temporarily until my new TWC install date of 10/16.

10/16/2009 is my installation date. Once again no one shows up, Now im given ANOTHER installation date two weeks out and a bunch of BS, To add insult to injury im really getting to experience the best of frontier so i really know i don't have a choice but to put up with the nonsense because living with the DSL is just not an option.

I still have all my equipment from the old house & i decided to hook it up despite being told not too and that it wont work.

Well it worked. even my old telephone number that i was told i had to change was working just fine. That two week installation date turned into a 3 day away installation date after i called and let them know everything was working.

2010

Everything has been working great since my installation debacle. No outages or anything for over a year.
Very pleased with everything.

Docsis 3.0 has arrived to my market & i have upgraded to the "Extreme" internet package. 30/5
I wasn't home for this a family member was, Cable express did the work. I was given a brand new Motorola modem & my Webstar was left just as the eMTA.

Not impressed. Cable express ran a new splitter for the Motorola & Webster and left everything ungrounded and not secured. Speeds are no better than turbo. Time Warner had to come back to address grounding and speed issues. everything was grounded and my outside buried drop was replaced.
Speed issues still persist. Not pulling anywhere close to 30/5 its more like 15/5. Finally a tech arrives who wants to work & make it right. Finds leakage issues & severe signal loss on my lines. He calls in another tech and they pull all new rg-6 cable for my house, New drop & new modems & boxes. Finally getting the speeds im paying for. Paying 160$

2012

Experiencing issues with all my services intermittently, Internet speeds are terrible & having trouble placing phone calls.

Numerous tech visits and a supervisor sitting in the van all night watching TV have narrowed it down to the line department. My issues have been forwarded to them & i was given a decent promotion for my troubles.

Turns out the people across the street lost the neutral line & were grounding through the cable wire until that burnt through, Once the line department changed out the tap everything went back to functioning normally.

2013

Loving all my services i have now but my promotion is ending and i will soon be paying 280 something for just what i have now. I have no desire to downgrade so after careful consideration i have ordered signature home.

Install time was quick. I already had the D3 Modem and my first DVR was the Cisco whole home so all that needed to be installed was the second DVR & traps on my line for the Moca.

during peak times i don't pull speeds lower than 54/4 & at best i have tested at 70/5.

The whole home DVR works just as advertised. The extra storage is fantastic. My only complaints have been the speed at which client boxes access content, The "Please wait" is a little irritating. And of course the speed at which the boxes clunk along at is definitively a negative. TWC is pretty far from competing with any satellite CO when it comes to boxes but its not anything to cry about.

updated 1 year ago

Comments:

sparks1

@rr.com

worst

twc is the worst company i have ever dealt with. i am disconnecting them. they are horrible.
Keefer21

join:2012-07-06
Hilton, NY

Re: worst

Well your certainly entitled to that opinion.

Review by Wineclaw See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
Good "Good tech support, very close to advertised speeds"
Bad "Expensive compared to other ISPs of similar quality, recent uptime trouble is a concern in NYC"
Overall "Compare all ISPs in your area before deciding on TWC"

My family has been with Time Warner for over a decade, probably more. Ignoring recent troubles (explained later), TWC has been par for the course in most aspects.

We upgraded to the Signature Home service that promises 50/5 late in 2012. We already had a triple package, but they offered the upgrade at a minimum increase on our monthly bill.

For the most part, we were getting around 44/5, which is reasonable given that TWC has heavy usage in the NYC area.

The upgrade was painless. TWC arrived at the time they said they would and the tech was very friendly.

Fast forward to early this year.

I had some issues with the Ubee modem they give you when you upgrade to SigHome, but TWC's support was able to switch me over to bridge mode and I was able to use my old reliable router.

As of this review, I'm a week deep in upstream problems. There has been massive packet loss since March 7th at random times (usually during the late evening to early morning hours) and only recently (the 12th) has the designated SigHome line (which is now a robot and used to be a human) told me about an outage in the area.

Earlier, we had two techs come by, both of whom were very friendly and knowledgeable. The first tech couldn't isolate the issue. The second tech, after having been shown the line quality tests and smokeping tests, assumed the modem was faulty. After replacing the modem to a much more reliable brand (IMO), the issue went away... for a few hours. Since then, the issue comes and goes. If you pay for TWC's top tier of residential service, you should expect most issues to be resolved in a timely manner. In this case, that is not happening. My patience grows thin and I'm peeking over at FiOS.

Thankfully, TV and phone have not been affected by this problem (yet).

Kudos to the TWC Direct techs here at dslreports who have been patient with my frustration. They've already mention there should be credit on my next bill.

I will update this review when the issue is fixed.

UPDATE (8/19/2013):

After two weeks of hit-and-miss internet connections, the issue was resolved. I was even contacted by one of the higher up managers. It was nice to see them finally get around to fixing the issue.

Then, August 2013 happened.

The same issue, except phone service was also impacted. We weren't waiting two weeks again and switched to Verizon, it was going to take a week to switch, so we stuck it out. Up until the last day, we STILL had packet loss, internet connectivity issues, and poor phone quality/connection. After 20+ years of TWC, we were done with them. Verizon's offer was $70/month less, faster speeds, and HBO/Showtime included, but that review is for another day.

Comments:

Lara

@sbcglobal.net

They suck

I had time warner to dam expensive my bill came to be $484.00 they charged me so much money I don't even have hbo or Cinemax or anything they suck real bad worst customer service ever they over charge you for everything

J Newcomb

@myvzw.com

TWC stay away

TWC Erica in corporate called me harassing me about an aledged bill from 2008 for $28. Mind you I've been a TWC customer since I moved to my property in 05. This is 2013 and this pretend balance is now due. Ok... The funny thing is I had contacted her to look at an account I have set up for Internet only at another location. At this location my tenant let the tech in at the location. They installed the modem for Internet only service under the tv which has direct tv connected to it. I had already installed 4 new cat5 lines and run them to the location where there cable line would come through the wall. All that had to be done would be to have stubbed a short pc through the wall and mount the modem to the plywood board I mounted. When I arrived to the location over a month later I found this and notified TWC the service was not installed in a usable location for connection to my Ethernet. I was given a run around and informed I needed to pay the balance on the account before a tech would be sent. I refused to pay again due to their lack of ability to provide a usable service. I made many other calls trying to find someone that would listen to me. It was always pay the bill, pay your bill. NO. So they sent the account to collections and I have a negative mark on my credit now. For a balance on an account I was not provided usable service on...no one would come out to fix it so I called EarthLink who uses TWC and they sent out a tech from the company to make the repairs under their order. Some alarm must have gone off cause Erica called me a couple days later, pissed. It's almost like they had a goal to provide the worst service EVER. I stated to her information was reported by their collection company that was a bill I didn't owe. I was informed again that she would take care of it if I paid my bill. I told her no so she threatened if I didn't, she would disconnect and terminate all my accounts(this one and two others that are paid in full to date and have always been in good standing) while I was on the phone with her my wifi connection dropped so I went over to check the tv box and she cut that too. I told her she had a fight coming from my lawyer and I wanted her full name so we could serve the office she's working at. She would give me her full name or office location and hung up. I would estimate that between my locations I've paid TWC over the years $15-16000. On top of that they have committed service and billing fraud. On a federal level, is my credit and the action I will take against them for falsely reporting.

Review by Lucky Charms See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "The fastest broadband provider in my neighbourhood."
Bad "The upload speed lags behind other major nationwide internet service providers and TWC keeps adding on fees/raising prices."
Overall "Time Warner Cable is the fastest ISP in my area, but with NCNGN looking to deploy gigabit fibre in the area, that may change."

We signed up for Time Warner Cable internet and cable television service in 2011. Since then, we have had no major complaints other than the newly implemented modem rental fee and its accompanying increases. We have suffered no significant service disruptions except for one that was caused by a contractor severing an underground line in our neighbourhood. We have recently swapped out the Ubee modem that was given to us during the installation for a Arris/Motorola SB6141 D3 modem (getting 4 downstream channels and one upstream channel) that we purchased to save on the rental cost. I would strongly recommend that anyone looking to use Time Warner Cable as their internet service provider do the same, and I would also recommend using your own wireless router if possible. The internet connection speed always seems to be where it should be during peak hours. The speeds are actually higher now that Time Warner Cable fluffed the download and upload speeds slightly. The cable television service has been great so far except for the loss of CBS/Showtime recently. The on demand features and video quality are excellent compared to what we received with Dish Network.

Overall, Time Warner Cable seems to be making improvements to their service and customer support. However, the constant price increases on the modem rentals and other services are rather irritating. With NCNGN looking for providers to deploy gigabit fibre to several major areas in North Carolina, Time Warner Cable might finally kick it into high gear in terms of speed and price. Time Warner Cable may build the fibre network, but I believe it may have an open access agreement for other providers to come in (I am unsure on this).

I would recommend Time Warner Cable for the time being over Windstream, AT&T Uverse, and CenturyLink in this area.

Comments:
sb8636

join:2012-01-19
Austin, TX

You can switch the Ubee for a Motorola

Or at least I did. Try taking the Ubee into the nearest TW provisioning office and tell them you want to swap out. It took me about 5 minutes. They might not be available/in stock, but at least it's possible in theory...

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "If you have a problem, they are quick to fix it"
Bad "The DVR will freeze up every so often, then you have to reset it"
Overall "Not too bad of a deal for the money"

(update 2013-06)Time Warner is still pretty good about taking care of their customers. We had an issue with our DVR suddenly was no longer producing any sound and they replaced it. Of course, when you pay $13/month for it, I would hope that they would.

(update 2012-11)With the advent of the modem rental fee on the Internet service, we will be dropping the digital phone, when we purchase our own modem, rather than using a splitter to continue to use the current modem for our digital phone service and adding our own for the Internet connection.

(update 2012-07)With the prices going up regularly, we have continued to try to "save" money by cutting back on various services. We have scaled back the phone service, first to to just statewide long distance, then to a local area offer. Next, we will probably be looking at dropping the phone altogether, especially, since we both have cell phones, anyway.

(update 2012-01)We have been fairly happy with our service. The price increases haven't made us very happy, though. They have been fighting the increasing rebroadcast fees and when they haven't been able to stop those increases, then it gets passed onto the consumer.

(update 2010-09)Time Warner did a software upgrade on their DVR service and it hasn't been as bad. We have the cord out from behind the entertainment center, so that it is easier to unplug, so we can reset the DVR every couple of days.

We have gotten rid of the Frontier telephone service for Time Warner's Digital Phone. We have a couple of new features on the phone and everything else is exactly the same as what we had with Frontier. However, our phone bill is half what it was with Frontier.

(update)The DVR service seems to be getting worse. Often times, when watching a show, it freezes. When watching something recorded, when fast forwarding over the commercials, the DVR seems to have a mind of it's own. When pushing the fast forward button once, it will sometimes go up to two, three or even four, instead of just one.

(update) Time Warner has been talking about putting caps on their Road Runner service and also starting a tiered plan. If they do initiate that, then we will be limiting our cable TV plans or may even get rid of it altogether, for a satellite service.

We can record two different programs with the DVR at the same time and watch something that is already recorded. Or we can watch the cable that is going straight into the TV.

You can't do any of that with any of the satellite services. We can also do Video OnDemand, which is cheaper than renting a movie and they almost always have movies as soon as they are available for rent or to buy at the store.

The only problems that we have, is that on occasion the cable box will lock up and need to be reset. A technician, said that it is because they are trying to send so much information down the cable, that it overloads the system, and is a quirk that needs to be worked out by the engineers.

member for 6.4 years, 2502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Pissed off

@rr.com

Nothing but problems

I hate time Warner cable! Nothing but issues with Internet, cable and billing. They've tried to charge me late fees a couple of times even though I pay ahead of time. Equipment is shoddy. I hate these people!

Review by dotike See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Relatively fast install."
Bad "The line itself is terrible."
Overall "Cable in Brooklyn: Oversubscribed, terrible bandwidth."

2hrs into a fresh install

- Installer was knowledgable and courteous, but appointment was hours late.
- Installer was trying to use old/unworkable coax in building, (cables run through shared holes with radiator, etc...)

Once the line was turned on, speeds are terrible.

Ordered: 50mb/5mb service,
Have: 19mb/900kb

Ping latency varies wildly, between 13-30+ms to nearby servers, (nearby via routes, and physically close).

Customer service: was on hold with the number the installer left me for over 70 minutes, got down to 'there are 1 callers ahead of you', and then I got hung up on.

Called back, still on hold as I write this, been "first in line" for 30+ minutes.

Sales call 8 days ago was a very different story-

- no-waiting, got a rep immeadiately
- rep answered my questions with these answers:
Q: static IP address available?
A: Yes, just call customer service after the line is installed.
Q: Any blocked ports? Can I run a mail server?
A: (checked with someone) No blocked ports, yes you can run a mail server
Q: IPv6 dual-stack networking available?
A: (checked with someone) Yes, just call customer service after line is installed
Q: Regarding speeds of 50/5, is that actual? Will I actually get close to 50/5?
A: Yes, that is the highest speed package in your area.

Still on hold as I post this.

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Level3

I dropped time warner and couldnt be anymore happy.

Anyways (866) 506-0218 is level3 direct number.

I have it saved when I help my friends who have twc.

Re: Level3

Thanks patt2k- wish I had it before

Anyhow, over the static IP addresses, they have me speaking to TWC Business Class now- will see how this goes...

Brooklyn, NY

Modem Replaced, now no IP address (?)

Traded in Modem in manhattan.

After all this fuss, I wanted to make sure I got the right speed, (Docsys 3.0), and IPv6 connectivity.

I took this list of modems in with me on my phone:
»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

The guy who helped me was nice, but gave me the wrong modem model number right out the gate. I showed him the list, and he grabbed another modem. It wasn't IPv6 capable either. Third time was the charm, and he gave me a correct modem. Exciting!

Went home, plugged it in, and it lit right up- speeds were 51mb/4.9mb - lookin' good!

Now for the return to frustration: time for IPv4 address and IPv6 netblock.

I sit on hold as I type this, bouncing between departments, and I'm possibly going to cancel services outright.

When I called the TWC service number, and navigated to Tech Support, they told me:

- I could not get static IP addresses
- Only business class accounts could get static IP addresses
- TWC Business is a separate division, and they couldn't quote me prices because it's a different service/contract alltogether.

No static IP addresses? That's what I paid for up front! I'll keep my DSL line, decreped unmaintained copper and all...

I'm on hold and have had to explain everything with my 4th person by the time I'm done posting this message. I'll update when there is some resolution, whichever way this install story ends.

No IPv6 at TWC

I'm canceling. Shuffled to 7 different TWC business units in 2hrs of call.

Finally got L3 tech support (wow really clear cool person I spoke to, obviously a technical person.)

He clearly and directly broke the news:
- No IPv6
"It will be a long time until the IPv6 rollout is available to you, I'm really sorry."
- No way I can get an IPv4 account
"Also, there are no static IP's for any residential accounts, just for TWC Business class, which as you've found, is a whole separate thing".

I'm now looking at my sad copper, nearly unmaintained by verizon's ineptitude, in a whole new light.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Bk

I am also in Brooklyn 1122 zipcode. Don't you have fios ? I know its not anywhere but that is what I got. 75/35

Review by wjr110 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Very fast when it works"
Bad "Intermittent connection drop-outs and inconsistent speed"
Overall "There is no other choice and it's evident based on the spotty service"

I considered optimum online and verizon Fios but unfortunately I cannot get either. Verizon DSL is likely too slow and requires a POTS as well, so Time Warner was the only possibility.

The $30/month (10mbps down / 1mbps up package) that I have is actually ~2 mbps down and .9 mbps up. Sometimes its slower.

Update: 7-29-2013

A roommate called tech support to complain about the intermittent connection dropouts. I don't know what was discussed but they ended up upgrading our service to 30/5, which is really wonderful when it actually works. Unfortunately, at times the connection grinds to a halt or does not connect at all. What is the purpose of having high speed internet if you cannot connect to the internet and it is not high speed when it does?

I will be moving to an area with Optimum Online (50/25) and I hope it's more consistent.

member for 9.6 years, 1586 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

Comments:

Review by Simthedude See Profile

• Location: Appleton,Outagamie,WI
Good "fast"
Bad "expensive"
Overall "only option"

It it very reliable but recently I haven't been getting my full speed. Its been fine for years though.

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "NOTHING GOOD"

Time Warner cable is the worst experience I could ever had. Every month you receive a monthly bill higher than the previous one, on top of it, your Internet service is always down whenever u in need to use it, you may have cable and picture will freeze and on top of that you could be experiencing no volume at all for weeks and weeks. When U call for help, they refer you to technicians than dont know what they doing, some will promise you they will come to ur home or call you after a certain time and won't show up. The worst is when you decide to cancel, the number you call say you must call during office hours and will disconnect. I finally got someone on a week day and they have the guts to tell me that my cancellation request will cost me $40 on my last bill... Lol I came to the office at broadway to drop off the equipment, and the have me a number. The waiting time was over an hour and half..

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)