old twc page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by Wineclaw See Profile

• Location: Richmond Hill,Queens,NY
Good "Good tech support, very close to advertised speeds"
Bad "Expensive compared to other ISPs of similar quality, recent uptime trouble is a concern in NYC"
Overall "Compare all ISPs in your area before deciding on TWC"

My family has been with Time Warner for over a decade, probably more. Ignoring recent troubles (explained later), TWC has been par for the course in most aspects.

We upgraded to the Signature Home service that promises 50/5 late in 2012. We already had a triple package, but they offered the upgrade at a minimum increase on our monthly bill.

For the most part, we were getting around 44/5, which is reasonable given that TWC has heavy usage in the NYC area.

The upgrade was painless. TWC arrived at the time they said they would and the tech was very friendly.

Fast forward to early this year.

I had some issues with the Ubee modem they give you when you upgrade to SigHome, but TWC's support was able to switch me over to bridge mode and I was able to use my old reliable router.

As of this review, I'm a week deep in upstream problems. There has been massive packet loss since March 7th at random times (usually during the late evening to early morning hours) and only recently (the 12th) has the designated SigHome line (which is now a robot and used to be a human) told me about an outage in the area.

Earlier, we had two techs come by, both of whom were very friendly and knowledgeable. The first tech couldn't isolate the issue. The second tech, after having been shown the line quality tests and smokeping tests, assumed the modem was faulty. After replacing the modem to a much more reliable brand (IMO), the issue went away... for a few hours. Since then, the issue comes and goes. If you pay for TWC's top tier of residential service, you should expect most issues to be resolved in a timely manner. In this case, that is not happening. My patience grows thin and I'm peeking over at FiOS.

Thankfully, TV and phone have not been affected by this problem (yet).

Kudos to the TWC Direct techs here at dslreports who have been patient with my frustration. They've already mention there should be credit on my next bill.

I will update this review when the issue is fixed.

UPDATE (8/19/2013):

After two weeks of hit-and-miss internet connections, the issue was resolved. I was even contacted by one of the higher up managers. It was nice to see them finally get around to fixing the issue.

Then, August 2013 happened.

The same issue, except phone service was also impacted. We weren't waiting two weeks again and switched to Verizon, it was going to take a week to switch, so we stuck it out. Up until the last day, we STILL had packet loss, internet connectivity issues, and poor phone quality/connection. After 20+ years of TWC, we were done with them. Verizon's offer was $70/month less, faster speeds, and HBO/Showtime included, but that review is for another day.

Comments:

Lara

@sbcglobal.net

They suck

I had time warner to dam expensive my bill came to be $484.00 they charged me so much money I don't even have hbo or Cinemax or anything they suck real bad worst customer service ever they over charge you for everything

J Newcomb

@myvzw.com

TWC stay away

TWC Erica in corporate called me harassing me about an aledged bill from 2008 for $28. Mind you I've been a TWC customer since I moved to my property in 05. This is 2013 and this pretend balance is now due. Ok... The funny thing is I had contacted her to look at an account I have set up for Internet only at another location. At this location my tenant let the tech in at the location. They installed the modem for Internet only service under the tv which has direct tv connected to it. I had already installed 4 new cat5 lines and run them to the location where there cable line would come through the wall. All that had to be done would be to have stubbed a short pc through the wall and mount the modem to the plywood board I mounted. When I arrived to the location over a month later I found this and notified TWC the service was not installed in a usable location for connection to my Ethernet. I was given a run around and informed I needed to pay the balance on the account before a tech would be sent. I refused to pay again due to their lack of ability to provide a usable service. I made many other calls trying to find someone that would listen to me. It was always pay the bill, pay your bill. NO. So they sent the account to collections and I have a negative mark on my credit now. For a balance on an account I was not provided usable service on...no one would come out to fix it so I called EarthLink who uses TWC and they sent out a tech from the company to make the repairs under their order. Some alarm must have gone off cause Erica called me a couple days later, pissed. It's almost like they had a goal to provide the worst service EVER. I stated to her information was reported by their collection company that was a bill I didn't owe. I was informed again that she would take care of it if I paid my bill. I told her no so she threatened if I didn't, she would disconnect and terminate all my accounts(this one and two others that are paid in full to date and have always been in good standing) while I was on the phone with her my wifi connection dropped so I went over to check the tv box and she cut that too. I told her she had a fight coming from my lawyer and I wanted her full name so we could serve the office she's working at. She would give me her full name or office location and hung up. I would estimate that between my locations I've paid TWC over the years $15-16000. On top of that they have committed service and billing fraud. On a federal level, is my credit and the action I will take against them for falsely reporting.

Review by aguypd See Profile

• Location: Silver Springs,Wyoming,NY
Good "If you have a problem, they are quick to fix it"
Bad "The DVR will freeze up every so often, then you have to reset it"
Overall "Not too bad of a deal for the money"

(update 2013-06)Time Warner is still pretty good about taking care of their customers. We had an issue with our DVR suddenly was no longer producing any sound and they replaced it. Of course, when you pay $13/month for it, I would hope that they would.

(update 2012-11)With the advent of the modem rental fee on the Internet service, we will be dropping the digital phone, when we purchase our own modem, rather than using a splitter to continue to use the current modem for our digital phone service and adding our own for the Internet connection.

(update 2012-07)With the prices going up regularly, we have continued to try to "save" money by cutting back on various services. We have scaled back the phone service, first to to just statewide long distance, then to a local area offer. Next, we will probably be looking at dropping the phone altogether, especially, since we both have cell phones, anyway.

(update 2012-01)We have been fairly happy with our service. The price increases haven't made us very happy, though. They have been fighting the increasing rebroadcast fees and when they haven't been able to stop those increases, then it gets passed onto the consumer.

(update 2010-09)Time Warner did a software upgrade on their DVR service and it hasn't been as bad. We have the cord out from behind the entertainment center, so that it is easier to unplug, so we can reset the DVR every couple of days.

We have gotten rid of the Frontier telephone service for Time Warner's Digital Phone. We have a couple of new features on the phone and everything else is exactly the same as what we had with Frontier. However, our phone bill is half what it was with Frontier.

(update)The DVR service seems to be getting worse. Often times, when watching a show, it freezes. When watching something recorded, when fast forwarding over the commercials, the DVR seems to have a mind of it's own. When pushing the fast forward button once, it will sometimes go up to two, three or even four, instead of just one.

(update) Time Warner has been talking about putting caps on their Road Runner service and also starting a tiered plan. If they do initiate that, then we will be limiting our cable TV plans or may even get rid of it altogether, for a satellite service.

We can record two different programs with the DVR at the same time and watch something that is already recorded. Or we can watch the cable that is going straight into the TV.

You can't do any of that with any of the satellite services. We can also do Video OnDemand, which is cheaper than renting a movie and they almost always have movies as soon as they are available for rent or to buy at the store.

The only problems that we have, is that on occasion the cable box will lock up and need to be reset. A technician, said that it is because they are trying to send so much information down the cable, that it overloads the system, and is a quirk that needs to be worked out by the engineers.

member for 6.4 years, 2503 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Pissed off

@rr.com

Nothing but problems

I hate time Warner cable! Nothing but issues with Internet, cable and billing. They've tried to charge me late fees a couple of times even though I pay ahead of time. Equipment is shoddy. I hate these people!

Review by dotike See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Relatively fast install."
Bad "The line itself is terrible."
Overall "Cable in Brooklyn: Oversubscribed, terrible bandwidth."

2hrs into a fresh install

- Installer was knowledgable and courteous, but appointment was hours late.
- Installer was trying to use old/unworkable coax in building, (cables run through shared holes with radiator, etc...)

Once the line was turned on, speeds are terrible.

Ordered: 50mb/5mb service,
Have: 19mb/900kb

Ping latency varies wildly, between 13-30+ms to nearby servers, (nearby via routes, and physically close).

Customer service: was on hold with the number the installer left me for over 70 minutes, got down to 'there are 1 callers ahead of you', and then I got hung up on.

Called back, still on hold as I write this, been "first in line" for 30+ minutes.

Sales call 8 days ago was a very different story-

- no-waiting, got a rep immeadiately
- rep answered my questions with these answers:
Q: static IP address available?
A: Yes, just call customer service after the line is installed.
Q: Any blocked ports? Can I run a mail server?
A: (checked with someone) No blocked ports, yes you can run a mail server
Q: IPv6 dual-stack networking available?
A: (checked with someone) Yes, just call customer service after line is installed
Q: Regarding speeds of 50/5, is that actual? Will I actually get close to 50/5?
A: Yes, that is the highest speed package in your area.

Still on hold as I post this.

Comments:
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Level3

I dropped time warner and couldnt be anymore happy.

Anyways (866) 506-0218 is level3 direct number.

I have it saved when I help my friends who have twc.

Re: Level3

Thanks patt2k- wish I had it before

Anyhow, over the static IP addresses, they have me speaking to TWC Business Class now- will see how this goes...

Brooklyn, NY

Modem Replaced, now no IP address (?)

Traded in Modem in manhattan.

After all this fuss, I wanted to make sure I got the right speed, (Docsys 3.0), and IPv6 connectivity.

I took this list of modems in with me on my phone:
»www.timewarnercable.com/en/resid···dem.html

The guy who helped me was nice, but gave me the wrong modem model number right out the gate. I showed him the list, and he grabbed another modem. It wasn't IPv6 capable either. Third time was the charm, and he gave me a correct modem. Exciting!

Went home, plugged it in, and it lit right up- speeds were 51mb/4.9mb - lookin' good!

Now for the return to frustration: time for IPv4 address and IPv6 netblock.

I sit on hold as I type this, bouncing between departments, and I'm possibly going to cancel services outright.

When I called the TWC service number, and navigated to Tech Support, they told me:

- I could not get static IP addresses
- Only business class accounts could get static IP addresses
- TWC Business is a separate division, and they couldn't quote me prices because it's a different service/contract alltogether.

No static IP addresses? That's what I paid for up front! I'll keep my DSL line, decreped unmaintained copper and all...

I'm on hold and have had to explain everything with my 4th person by the time I'm done posting this message. I'll update when there is some resolution, whichever way this install story ends.

No IPv6 at TWC

I'm canceling. Shuffled to 7 different TWC business units in 2hrs of call.

Finally got L3 tech support (wow really clear cool person I spoke to, obviously a technical person.)

He clearly and directly broke the news:
- No IPv6
"It will be a long time until the IPv6 rollout is available to you, I'm really sorry."
- No way I can get an IPv4 account
"Also, there are no static IP's for any residential accounts, just for TWC Business class, which as you've found, is a whole separate thing".

I'm now looking at my sad copper, nearly unmaintained by verizon's ineptitude, in a whole new light.
patt2k

join:2009-01-16

Bk

I am also in Brooklyn 1122 zipcode. Don't you have fios ? I know its not anywhere but that is what I got. 75/35

Review by wjr110 See Profile

• Location: Brooklyn,Kings,NY
Good "Very fast when it works"
Bad "Intermittent connection drop-outs and inconsistent speed"
Overall "There is no other choice and it's evident based on the spotty service"

I considered optimum online and verizon Fios but unfortunately I cannot get either. Verizon DSL is likely too slow and requires a POTS as well, so Time Warner was the only possibility.

The $30/month (10mbps down / 1mbps up package) that I have is actually ~2 mbps down and .9 mbps up. Sometimes its slower.

Update: 7-29-2013

A roommate called tech support to complain about the intermittent connection dropouts. I don't know what was discussed but they ended up upgrading our service to 30/5, which is really wonderful when it actually works. Unfortunately, at times the connection grinds to a halt or does not connect at all. What is the purpose of having high speed internet if you cannot connect to the internet and it is not high speed when it does?

I will be moving to an area with Optimum Online (50/25) and I hope it's more consistent.

member for 9.6 years, 1586 visits, last login: 1.2 years ago

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "NOTHING GOOD"

Time Warner cable is the worst experience I could ever had. Every month you receive a monthly bill higher than the previous one, on top of it, your Internet service is always down whenever u in need to use it, you may have cable and picture will freeze and on top of that you could be experiencing no volume at all for weeks and weeks. When U call for help, they refer you to technicians than dont know what they doing, some will promise you they will come to ur home or call you after a certain time and won't show up. The worst is when you decide to cancel, the number you call say you must call during office hours and will disconnect. I finally got someone on a week day and they have the guts to tell me that my cancellation request will cost me $40 on my last bill... Lol I came to the office at broadway to drop off the equipment, and the have me a number. The waiting time was over an hour and half..

Sent from my iPhone

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by jades See Profile

• Location: New York,New York,NY
Good "None"
Bad "Outage once a month"
Overall "Stay away from TWC"

We have a business account with Time Warner Cable. Paying a whopping $300 per month in NYC for 50/5. Cablevision charges less than half for the same speeds on a business account

We only get 10 Mbps during the day

There's an outage going on since last night! And it's been over 24 hours!!!!!!!!! The office is on 39th and 7th Ave. No surprise with the outages, this is a once a month occurrence. Unbelievable. I'd be embarrassed if I were them. Fios is coming into the building by the end of the summer, guess who will be switching out faster than you can blink an eye!

member for 1.5 years, 502 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Extremely Poor TWC Customer Service

TWC attempted to lure me back by sending a TWC Relationship Manager to my home with the promise of better rates locked in. After listening to his litany about how things improved, and that he would provide personalized service by handling any issues that I may have going forward, I agreed to return but only for internet and telephone at this time because I was locked into a contract by another provider.

On the day of installation, none of the services that he outlined to me were provisioned nor was the correct modem installed. I called him which resulted in no action on his part but my having to go to the local office to obtain the correct modem. Moreover, I had to call tech support to set up telephone service as the new modem was not correctly provisioned in the TWC system using my own cell phone minutes over an hour.

Adding insult to injury, when I tried calling this RM again, all my calls went to a generic voice mail. I had to negotiate an ala carte package with Retention to try and mimic what this guy promised. They could not give me what he promised but could come close, though. I reluctantly agreed. No calls from this RM were ever returned, nor emails from Retention to him answered about his promises which also included a $100.00 Gift Card being a new customer again.

Finally, TWC advertises Bill Float to help pay your bills. I tried to use this service, and Bill Float told me that there was a problem with my account information and that I had to contact TWC. I contacted TWC Billing who had no clue about this service, even the supervisors. I spent several hours trying to resolve this issue to no avail. TWC finally told me it was a BF problem.

In conclusion, why do I have to be the one doing every one elses job by spending my own time on the phone from the RM to the Billing Department? This is NOT enjoying the TWC experience.

What is a shame is that TWC is so large that they do not have one person who can take ownership from the beginning to end of a problem but different departments. Moreover, if you talk too long on the phone, you eventually are disconnected, and no one can provide you with a call back number. You would think that they would call YOU back?

That being said, I am cancelling my service asap, and taking advantage of the money back guarantee, and returning to my former services provider.

TWC states that Customer Service improved. It is now worse than before. Once again TWC, you lost a customer.

Review by Bornloser See Profile

• Location: Ravenna,Portage,OH
Good "Very good customer service. Service was installed on time."
Bad "Pricing"
Overall "Good service so far. Over priced."

·WOW Internet and..
Moved out of the Cleveland, Ohio area in May of 2013 to a different county. The only cable provider in the area is TWC. No other options. I will not use satellite service. Previously had WOW as cable provider and loved them. In the 6 years that I was with them, I never had an issue. I currently have standard cable, 15MB internet and phone service at $120.00 a month. Same package with WOW was $85.00 a month. Drastic difference in price. If another company pops up in the area, I will definitely look into it to save money. Until then we'll see what happens. I have had no issues with TWC so far.

Comments:

Review by chamberc See Profile

• Location: Irving,Dallas,TX
Good "75/5 super Fast internet, good HD selection, Superior HD quality"
Bad "30+ truck rolls over 60 days to get services up in 2005; DVR software is terrible (iGuide or Navigator)"
Overall "good quality service"

Have had TWC since 2005 when it was a Comcast market. It took 30+ truck rolls, over 2 months to get my 3 DVR's and HSI running.

HD selection is good, PQ is great, but the iGuide and Navigator software on the DVR's is truly awful. The GUI is absolutely terrible.

I have 75/5 wideband and get my advertised speeds, but my signal levels on the downstream have been decaying for several years.

FIOS is not available in my area, and uVerse stinks because it only allows a couple of HD streams at a time. I need 6 simultaneous HD streams.

member for 6.2 years, 2612 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

JimMcCoy

join:2011-08-20
Jacksonville, NC

Some suggested alternatives...

May I suggest upgrading to WH-DVR?

Benefits of the upgrade:

Lower overall price: WHDVR with 2 playback boxes is cheaper than 3 HDDVRs.

More space: Standard HD-DVR is 60hrs each vs. 430 Hrs per WH-DVR.

Bonus - Networking: Right now if you want to watch what you record you will need to sit in the room you recorded it at; vs WHDVR you can access your recordings from any room you have a box. I will grant however that you need to set up your recordings from the DVR.

As a second alternative, you may wish to also consider upgrading to SignatureHome + 1 additional playback box
(you'll increase your overall recording time to 860 combined hours and get faster Internet, plus some cool extras in the process.

Just an FYI!

Sincerely,

Jim McCoy

Review by Jawsinc See Profile

• Location: Woodside,Queens,NY
Good "Draining your sanity & bank account."
Bad "TWC Blazing Speeds That Are 4X Faster Than Dial-up!"
Overall "Roughly the same signal from my sewage drain as my coax cable!"

TWC Blazing Speeds That Are 4X Faster Than Dial-up!

Update: Since I've upgraded to 30/5 the service is awesome. This upgrade was not by choice, all the other services that TWC offers are only a little faster than Dial-up, not much faster...just a little itsy-bit faster...

Turbo is about 5-6Mb. Standard is about 1-2Mb. Utilization issues going on for over a year now...

Update again: Forget all that. they still suck! They sometimes fluctuate from "horrible" to "doesn't suck that bad" but always back to "horrible" eventually.

Comments:

Review by bikti See Profile

• Location: Glendora,Los Angeles,CA

Install ... service tech set up 15 mbps w boost of 25 mbps .. tech didnt set up wifi for 2 pc's nor make it possible for me to setup (2 pcs wep & and modem was upper end encryption ) I had to call support which escalated up to a tech that reconfigured modem for wep .. so 3 days later all was working

quality...... excellent speed and reliability my wifi was working great .. dl speeds of 1.5 mbps avg w burst up to 2mbps

this lasted for about a week now i am down to 1.0 mbps dl speed of 55 kbps