old twc page on DSLReports
No six month summary.
Closed to new reviews.

Review by JMaczCary See Profile

• Location: Cary,Wake,NC
Good "Reliable, get advertised speeds most times"
Bad "CSR unfamiliar with BYOD modem activation, expensive w/o TV pack"
Overall "Best you can get here. Hoping for AT&T Giga and Google fiber competition"

After some repairs a couple of yrs ago, solid servive. On 20/2 Mbs plan. Took 3 hrs and 2 calls to install BYOD modem

Comments:

Review by scatman See Profile

• Location: Corona,Riverside,CA
Good "Speeds posting at ordered package"
Bad "Nothing much to say bad anymore"
Overall "Don't settle for a shotty connection, they seem to strive for excellent customer support"

Ordered on 05/05/12 and was installed on 05/12/12. Connection was great for first couple of months. Then started to experience frequent disconnects and re-syncing of the modem in mid to late July to present (first week of Aug.)

Will have had a 3rd tech visit out this Thurs. the 9th of Aug. Line from house to tap was replaced on 08/07 and still experiencing drops along with a new wireless router/modem, but so far seem to occur less frequently, but line readings were still unacceptable per a call back to tech support on the evening of Aug. 7th. Will update after next tech support visit.

If the construction dept. has to be involved in any repair plan on 3-5 business days minimum for the repair to be complete.

08/09/12 - 3rd technician visit showed that wireless modem/router offered by TWC was the issue even after a new drop was ran from house to tap. Tech swapped out with a straight through modem and line readings were within specs. I bumped up connection reliability to 3 stars as I haven't had a single drop since installing the new modem. Installed a new N600 netgear dualband wireless router that evening. Initially had trouble, but after cloning MAC of NIC in desktop that was previously connected to the modem the connection started to work. TWC teir3 support was unable to flush the cached MAC address and didn't readily recommend cloning the MAC within the router which should be something teir3 should be well aware of. If connection continues to hold solid will update in a few weeks.

10/08/12 - Connection has been solid since the last post. Upgrading connection reliability. Loving the speeds. Keep up the good service TWC.

06/26/14 - Connection has been great still. Just received a letter that I'm getting an upgrade to 300/20 from 100/5 with no extra charge. SWEET NEWS! Just ordered the new modem at no additional charge as well. TWC just keeps getting better. Update the star ratings too. Well deserved ratings.

Comments:

scatman

speedtest on 08/11/12

before and after stability issues speeds always post at packaged rates

Corona, CA

Latest speed test only to get faster soon

New router installed...

Review by Lucky Charms See Profile

• Location: Raleigh,Wake,NC
Good "The fastest broadband provider in my neighbourhood."
Bad "The upload speed lags behind other major nationwide internet service providers and TWC keeps adding on fees/raising prices."
Overall "Time Warner Cable is the fastest ISP in my area, but with NCNGN looking to deploy gigabit fibre in the area, that may change."

We signed up for Time Warner Cable internet and cable television service in 2011. Since then, we have had no major complaints other than the newly implemented modem rental fee and its accompanying increases. We have suffered no significant service disruptions except for one that was caused by a contractor severing an underground line in our neighbourhood. We have recently swapped out the Ubee modem that was given to us during the installation for a Arris/Motorola SB6141 D3 modem (getting 4 downstream channels and one upstream channel) that we purchased to save on the rental cost. I would strongly recommend that anyone looking to use Time Warner Cable as their internet service provider do the same, and I would also recommend using your own wireless router if possible. The internet connection speed always seems to be where it should be during peak hours. The speeds are actually higher now that Time Warner Cable fluffed the download and upload speeds slightly. The cable television service has been great so far except for the loss of CBS/Showtime recently. The on demand features and video quality are excellent compared to what we received with Dish Network.

Overall, Time Warner Cable seems to be making improvements to their service and customer support. However, the constant price increases on the modem rentals and other services are rather irritating. With NCNGN looking for providers to deploy gigabit fibre to several major areas in North Carolina, Time Warner Cable might finally kick it into high gear in terms of speed and price. Time Warner Cable may build the fibre network, but I believe it may have an open access agreement for other providers to come in (I am unsure on this).

I would recommend Time Warner Cable for the time being over Windstream, AT&T Uverse, and CenturyLink in this area.

member for 2.5 years, 424 visits, last login: 1 year ago

Comments:
sb8636

join:2012-01-19
Austin, TX

You can switch the Ubee for a Motorola

Or at least I did. Try taking the Ubee into the nearest TW provisioning office and tell them you want to swap out. It took me about 5 minutes. They might not be available/in stock, but at least it's possible in theory...

Review by lso1123 See Profile

• Location: London,Laurel,KY
Good "Good down and up speed, Phone and TV Packages"
Bad "slow during peak times. Motorola DVR not up to par with the SAT companys"
Overall "Great start off bundled price"

Installed today with no hiccups TV service is great HD pq is good but not as good as Direct or Dish. Digital SD channels a little subpar but tolerable Internet service is good way better then our local DSL Provider do have some high latency issues during the late evening hours drops to about half of the advertised speed. Telephone service so far has no issues. I guess only time will tell how things work out I will update in a couple of months.

July 18 2013 service had been good until around June 20 since that time all services have been down Cable channels are unwatchable no phone or broadband service it has been over four weeks and issues have not been resolved. I think they are following in Windstreams tracks.

Comments:

shanessssss

@tmodns.net

run away

We need to get together and start our own ISP here in Lexington. These guys bought out insight and now we have nothing but problems.

Review by Couch Potato See Profile

• Location: Statesville,Iredell,NC
Good "Fast, stable, and consistent internet"
Bad "Their STBs like to lock up and need rebooting"
Overall "Best offer around"

I have their DOCSIS3 30/5 package and I must say it's stable and consistent here on the west side of Statesville. The TV offerings are pretty good as well. I don't care for their Set Top Boxes that the others in the house use but I use a cable card in my PC. I occasionally have issues with the tuning adaptor but nothing to really get mad at. We also have their phone service, which works.

This is also pretty much my only option. AT&T has U-Verse down the street but will only provide my house with 1.5Meg DSL, which is unacceptable.

member for 10.2 years, 2819 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jtr02a See Profile

• Location: Allen,Collin,TX
Good "Fastest option in area, great for large downloads"
Bad "Quality of service is not consistant, not so hot for streaming"
Overall "Streaming sucks, download speeds are awesome"

The only option in my area is AT&T DSL, CLEAR, and Time Warner. TWC is great when it comes to running a speed test (constantly outperforms my service level of 30/5 with around 31.5/5.5 with 10-15ms ping) but pretty well sucks (compared to the service level) when streaming Netflix or Slingbox on my TV. Quality constantly fluxuates between 1080p and 240p. There is NO reason it should not consistently stream 1080p w/o a problem on a single device.

Comments:

Review by motorola870 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Tarrant,TX
Good "Get advertised speed"
Overall "Consistant speeds"

Get 30/5 consistently sometimes 31Mbps!

member for 5.9 years, 2998 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by networkman98 See Profile

• Location: Advance,Davie,NC
Good "Fast speeds for the price, WAY faster than DSL...at least where I live"
Bad "not dedicated...but what do you expect for residential service?"
Overall "Good service for the price. Tech support can be sketchy at times though."

Before getting TWC in the area I live in (rural), we were limited to DSL service from a local telecom company. While their service was decent, their speeds were very slow...our area had just been upgraded to 3M/512k DSL about a year before TWC ran their lines to my neighborhood. Once they did, EVERYONE switched to TWC for Internet. We've had very little problems with TWC's service other than what was found to be caused by field animals found nesting inside pedestals and other equipment outside in the neighborhood.

Ordered 30Mx5M bandwidth. Ubee DW3611 Docsis 3.0 modem w/ wireless was installed in bridge/DHCP mode (WiFi disabled) due to me having my own wireless router. Got tripleplay w/ video and digital phone. It all works pretty well. Glitches here and there but tech support resolved them all quite easily.

For the most part, I've had minimal troubles with tech support. They have all been able to resolve issues on the 1st call. I've only had to have a tech dispatched to my home once. That time I was given the wrong type of cable modem, so I picked up a replacement on my way home from work.

Comments:

Review by rhadiem

• Location: Grandview,Jackson,MO
Good "Overall a good experience, fast speeds for most things, HD for Netflix"
Bad "Youtube performance at even 720p is terrible, and very frustrating"
Overall "I'll switch to Google Fiber ASAP when available IF they don't get their Youtube performance working better."

I'm mostly satisfied with TWC high speed cablemodem internet access. I was
on the 30megs service, but when they restructured their plans, they bumped
me up to 50mb for the same price. Most downloads are fast, torrents are quick,
Netflix does HD np, but YOUTUBE TAKES FOREVER. They NEED a Midwest cache
for Youtube content. Even 720p speeds constantly hitch, freeze and fail to
load reliably. When they do load, it's slower than playback speed. I can
do HD on other sites reliably but Youtube performance is abysmal for this
tier of internet. This is a review for Kansas City, Mo

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by RickNTX See Profile

• Location: Helotes,Bexar,TX
Good "Service has been consistent - as long as my neighbor doesn't cut the line next door at the node."
Bad "They outsource their tech support.. Don't speak english very well and very scripted."
Overall "Overall, service is great... As long as you don't need tech support."

Service has been very consistent since we set it up several years ago. My neighbor cut the line with a shovel and didn't tell me. Tech support was stuck on their scripts even though I told them that I had tested everything inside. They came out 2 days after the outage and reran a new line. Couldn't bury it on the same visit because they outsource that. So I have to wait until they come back out and have cable running across the yard.