DSLExtreme Hosting page on DSLReports

Review by baskingspot1 See Profile

• Location: Alhambra,Los Angeles,CA
Overall "Bait and Switch You will not get advertised speeds and you will be stuck with fees if you decide to cancel."
Setup experience:

I DO NOT RECOMMEND DSL EXTERME if you live anywhere in the Los Angeles or Pasadena Area.

UNETHICAL sales team that upsells you products and misrepresents there services. YOU WILL GET NOWHERE CLOSE to there advertised Fusion Broadband Speed. I had an existing phone line and wanted basic service. The sales representative told me if I installed another line with Fusion Broadband I would get speeds of 20 Mb/s. Turns out I never even needed to install another line since i have an existing line.

Once you place your order and give them your credit card information YOU WILL BE CHARGED either an early termination fee of $250 if you cancel before your activation date (the date your service starts) or if you cancel during the first 30 days in my case $70.00 for this horrible service that I didn't even use. I cancelled on the very first date of my activation. When speaking to the manager about my issues and concerns I was told and I quote "Well we didn't make you sign up for the service." Wow now that is customer service!

20 Mb/s is advertised and the fastest speed I was able to get was topped out around 5.6 Mb/s even with troubleshooting. I could have gotten these speeds for only $20 a month but was upsold to the $34.95 a month which comes out to a approximately $70 for the first month and approximately $50 for each additional month after hidden charges and fees. Stick with Charter or other companies if you desire fast speeds for the same amount of money. This is a BAIT AND SWITCH COMPANY!

Comments:

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

Hello, I believe you may have filed this in the wrong area, but please let me address this for you anyway.

The Fusion service that we offer is untiered. You can get whatever speeds your line can physically sustain; we don't charge more for faster speeds, regardless of whether your line can support 1Mbps or 20Mbps. There are no speed caps, no data caps. We do not guarantee 20Mbps, because we cannot guarantee that your line physically can support 20Mbps; our website states this clearly, and our sales representatives are usually very good about communicating this as well. I do apologize if the sales representative working with you was not sufficiently clear on the point; I would certainly like to get this corrected so that no misinformation gets passed along, so if you would care to send me an IM with any of your account information so I can investigate, it would be most appreciated.

I do not believe you would be charged the $250 ETF if you try to cancel the Fusion service before the activation date; if you are seeing that somewhere, it sounds like it might be a bug on the website (kind of like a 'divide by zero' result). The ETF should only apply if you cancel service AFTER the first month of service. As indicated by our website and sales representatives, you are liable for the first month's bill if you cancel the account after we process the order and establish service (which certainly seems to be the case if you were able to use the connection at 5.6Mbps), but ETF does not apply if you cancel during the first month.

Please note that the Fusion service includes both internet connection AND phone service, which is why phone taxes and fees apply (we aren't introducing those; they are taxes, not charges that we profit from). In most cases, the combined price of phone + internet for $34.95 is usually much lower than what it would be to buy comparable internet service AND a separate phone line.

I am sorry the Fusion service is not working out for you at 5.6Mbps, and assure you we are not trying to 'bait and switch' you. We would like to keep you as a customer, but if you would prefer to use another ISP then I wish you the best.

Review by dkla See Profile

• Location: Beverly Hills,Los Angeles,CA
Bad "3+ weeks for setup and still no connection? FAIL!!!"
Overall "Going with a 3rd party ISP is not worth the effort."
Setup experience:

It has been over three weeks since my order and I still have no service.

Tech Support is spotty at best, ranging from smart to idiot, so I keep re-dialing until I get a smart one.

Can't comment on the service, because I don't have any yet!!!

member for 11.2 years, 50 visits, last login: 1 year ago
lodged 1 year ago

Comments:

Review by MCheely See Profile

• Location: Yucaipa,San Bernardino,CA
Good "Price, Free Modem, Dependable for the last 5 years no problems"
Bad "At First None, Resently, Customer BAD Service"
Overall "Internet Access Has been Down 5 weeks now BAD support"
Setup experience:

I have been a customer for around 5 years, Zero Problems.

Came home and wanted watch something on Streming TV, DSL Down. Tried all the normal stuff, power down than back on, check cables & filters, etc. Call Tech Support, could not repair problem, DSLExtreme sent me a replacement Modem. Did not fix problem, problem is the Phone Line, DSLExtreme Tech opened a service order tp check out the line. This was 4 weeks ago. I have not heard anything from anybody except when I call, The reply is they are waiting for Verison to call back. But they still charged my Credit Card for the Monthly Payment and added a Yearly charge for Dial up support, I don't have a Dial up Modem, Have not for 5 years.

What is going on with DSLExtreme?

I don't want to change providers but may have to. My hope is that some one from DSLEXTREME reads this and I get some thing that resembles customer service.

Help Please!!!!

Mcheely@dslextreme.com

Comments:
hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH

Outsourced & Wholesale

This is what happenes when an actual ISP is bought up by a company that's only in the business to sell Dial-up to customers and provide wholesale DSL accounts to other ISPs. They in return decide to OUTSOURCE their support and network. DSLX is now owned by Ikano and all things moved to Utah. Everything was migrated over to Ikano and DSL is a "virtual" ISP now.

You'd be better on moving to another 3rd party ISP or calling ATT or Frontier directly and getting DSL.

Re: Outsourced & Wholesale

ewww sounds like hottboiinnc is a disgruntled ex-DSLX employee?

At any rate...

1. You posted your review on the wrong company. You posted under a web hosting company. I will PM Nick though so he can address your issues.

2. There is a DSLX forum here, might be faster for resolution.

3. DSLX has outsourced their first tier of support not their network or higher levels of support.

4. The OP hasn't mentioned ATT or Frontier so that is a totally useless suggestion.
TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
·MegaPath

Re: Outsourced & Wholesale

Actually Hottboiinnc is not a former employee of DSLX, its how the company appeared to be operating when other people have been posting similar issues. And as far as Frontier/AT&T, AT&T covers far more than AT&T so T was suggested.

DSLX is still outsourced regardless, first level or higher. Also the company's MAIN and primary service is NOT retail HSI, DSLX is owned and operated 100% by a wholesale company, dialupusa.com/Ikano. Their business is wholesale, not retail.

And by operating as a wholesale company, yes, they have outsourced their network to Ikano, Especially when a wholesale ISP is not required to have a network, only a RADIUS server that is tied into the "ATM cloud" to AT&T or Frontier. There is nothing else to do besides a connection to the Internet.

DSLX also charges a surcharge on the bottom line to hide rate hikes. That when questioned, they blame on AT&T as passing it on to them or that AT&T charges it as well, which is not true.

dslx_nick
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

DSL Extreme

Hey MCheely! As wirelessdog has helpfully pointed out, this isn't really the best place for such, as you're actually having trouble with your DSL connection (not hosting difficulties). Fortunately, he brought this to my attention so I can help out, but remember that you can always send me a PM directly yourself, too.

We're currently working with an escalation team over at Verizon. Very simply, some of Verizon's records got messed up and they basically lost your circuit, so we're waiting for them to get their relevant database restored to stable working order so we can get you back online. The dial-up connection was added as a courtesy until we do get your regular DSL connection back up (the cost has already been credited back, you don't need to pay for it), and you will of course be credited for the downtime once we do get your connection restored.
MCheely

join:2012-10-10
·DSLExtreme Hosting

Re: DSL Extreme

Sorry I posted in the wrong area.
Thanks for your reply, it is great to hear from some one at DSLExtreme with a reply other than " I don't Know " or " I will call you back tomorrow", and not hear anything the next day.
This is the first time I had any problems with my service. I can't believe the service I was getting. No one when I called said anything about Verison having any problems with their system.
No call backs, anything.
The only way I knew DSLExtreme was still in around was when the charged my credit card.

Thanks again.

Review by thochen See Profile

• Location: Palo Alto,Santa Clara,CA
Good "Used to be the cheapest"
Bad "Everything"
Overall "Keep shopping"

·DSL EXTREME
I had kept with this ISP for several years. Connection was flaky but otherwise OK, generally speeds were a bit lower than usual.

They then ran a "promotion" for higher level service for not much more. I had a residential 1.5/384 DSL for $22.95/month, they advertised 3.0/512 for $24.95. I jumped on this, then had a week off-line with various setup issues (even though NOTHING HAD CHANGED). Finally, I got up and running, and speeds were usually 1.8/400, so not much different. Tech support was difficult, to say the least. 30-45 minute wait times, often cut off for no reason. After another week of back-and-forth, the level 2 technician said it was not even possible to get 3 Mbps, so I should request a downgrade. Fine.

After I call back to customer service, they downgrade me and force me to continue a 12-month contract! Just to compare, with their new promotion, a 12-month contract at the lower level is now $14.95 per month! They say I agreed to this when it is just not true. I'll definitely not renew again with these guys.

Comments:

Review by lv99 See Profile

• Location: Fremont,Alameda,CA
Good "None so far"
Bad "No internet connection of any kind since "activation" date"
Overall "unhappy with waiting game. cancel and get charge for $250 ETF"
Setup experience:

Avoid at all cost to any ISP providers that cannot have the gut to give 30 days’ money back warranty. DSLE is one of them. If I know this fact before signup for service I will not have to waste three day on the phone to talk to tech support in Philippine for hours on each day. The result is still the same. NO INTERNET CONNECTION. There is nothing wrong with my line because I switch from AT&T DSL. DSLE just don’t know how to trouble shoot or resolve the no internet connection. They are here to collect your money and run. How can they claim I breach their contract while they cannot provide a basic connection to internet? I called Comcast after canceled the horrible DSLE service. I got internet connection from Comcast Cable broadband the next day. This is how long I have to wait for Comcast to give me the service I ordered.

Comments:

Review by wmweirich See Profile

• Location: Santa Maria,Santa Barbara,CA
Bad "Worst of the Worst - STAY AWAY; Bait and Switch"
Setup experience:

Go to the DSLExtreme reviews. Posted in the wrong area, by mistake. wmw.

Comments:
wmweirich

join:2011-08-08
Santa Maria, CA

Joined This Week

While my DSL Extreme review is the first I have done here, I have been using this site for over 8 years to test speeds. To enter a review, I had to "register" so I did. I have reviews pending for Comcast and Charter Cable - two other vendors that I use, and have GREAT service from. Fast, and reasonably priced. Simple installations. wmw -

Re: Joined This Week

This has nothing to do with DSLX hosting...
wmweirich

join:2011-08-08
Santa Maria, CA

Re: Joined This Week

Wrong area, i'll delete it.

Review by NewportTom See Profile

• Location: Newport Beach,Orange,CA
Bad "DSLeXtreme is a very poor choice, go elsewhere or be sorry"
Overall "avoid DSLX"

Email me at usegroups@hotmail.com and I will tell you of my experience with this company.
In a nutshell - avoid them at all costs.
Pay double elsewhere and be happy, at any price, with DSLeXtreme, you may be very sorry.

Paid for 6.0MBpS and often on got .027KBpS.
They never had AT&T pull the filter to get over 3MBpS for two years.
Got a streaming Bravia TV and discovered their rip-off.
Took two years and way over 75 calls to them to call AT&T out to fix the issue.
Email me and I will tell you more. Put DSLX sucks in the subject line to get through the spam filter.

Peace

Shin the Light on lies and liars and the truth will appear.

The Light

Comments:
wirelessdog

Queen Anne, MD

Nothing to do with this company

Your review has NOTHING to do with DSL Hosting. You obviously already know this which is why you correctly posted a review under the correct company.

Review by richyta3 See Profile

• Location: Los Angeles,Los Angeles,CA
Good "service is ok but when it comes to tech support seems like no one really can help as they keep passing you along."
Bad "Billing support sucks big time"
Setup experience:

I called dslextreme support to have my connection type fixed as they for some reason switch me from my original connection type which was for 8 static IP 3000Kbps/768Kbps to 1 PPPoe without telling me about it. and when I called to have that adjusted they kept on giving me the run around and til now nothing has been resolved. I am at the same place where I originally started. If you are thinking of getting dsl service I would stay far away from dslextreme. I admit the service is decent but only if you don't need support from them. Otherwise I would stay away from them. Speakeasy support was better and seemed like they knew more what they were doing when you called them. Only downside is that is expensive. But then again you are really paying for the service and support.

member for 9 years, 3 visits, last login: 3 years ago

Comments:

Review by MRMinSF See Profile

• Location: San Francisco,San Francisco,CA
Good "3 years of reliable service; online chat tech support reasonably competent"
Bad "clearly throttled at 5mbps despite"
Overall "essentially SBC DSL at a discounted price. Why not?"
Setup experience:

Good, bad, and bottom line points pretty much say it all. Regret that a faster subscription option doesn't seem available in our area.

(note: did this review go to the wrong area? When asked to verify my dsl provider, two "DSLExtremes came up that looked identical. Now I seem to be the only reviewer??)