Digital Voice page on DSLReports

Review by Tig See Profile

• Location: Consecon,ON
Good "Local Number. Reasonable, unlimited North America and Europe. Soft phone. Technical support and customer service"
Overall "Support gives a sincere effort."

March 23, 2010

Former Primus voip customer here. Pleasantly surprised to find that Digital Voice technical support has technical ability.

I have been working on a problem with garbled outgoing audio, but only on incoming calls. It was refreshing to not be told this is an ISP problem in the face of all evidence that it is not. My previous VOIP provider is notorious for this. Tech support was diligent in working with me. Level one assessed the situation very quickly and escalated to level two. Level two worked with me to isolate the problem. I was not left dangling on hold. They called back promptly. This did not take hours.

Thanks to the open ATA I was able to do some research and experimenting myself. I found that RTP packet size seemed to be set to an incompatible value (.030) I set it to .020 and voila, smooth clear sound. I will take a bandwidth hit for this, but it is insignificant.

Why was it set at .030 to begin with? I may be at fault there. I did a factory reset so that I could program my PPOE account. If I had called support for the ATA password I may have avoided this problem in the first place.

Update March 30th 2010.

These guys offer better support than my last VOIP company but they did not follow up on my call quality issue other than to say that they would contact me. It's been 10 days, no call. I was waiting for them to call before I shared my findings and fix.

I have decided to discontinue this service during the free trial period. For the amount of calls I make there are cheaper alternatives. I am stuck with the ATA that I purchased, but I will be able to use it with another VOIP provider.

member for 8.2 years, 1076 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: www.toao.net
Bad "Service is not reliable, call quality is hit-and-miss, echo, tech support is friendly and local but cannot solve many problems."
Overall "Providers like this give VoIP a bad name."

·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
A friend recommended DigitalVoice to me and they were my reintroduction to the world of VoIP. Unfortunately, both of us have been experiencing similar problems. For a while, sometimes weeks, the service will be excellent. And then all of a sudden it'll take a nose dive. Perhaps the phones will quit ringing, perhaps the calling party won't be able to hear us, perhaps we won't be able to hear them. I would tweak settings madly on my adapters with no success and suddenly have the service start working perfectly later with no interaction from me.

Their tech support is very friendly and local, and to their credit that's a rarity, however they were never able to provide a firm diagnosis of any problem or resolve it. It seemed all they were able to do was restore the default settings on my adapter and tell me to call back if the problem returned. And maybe for a few weeks everything would be fine, but then the service would die again, sometimes for days at a time. I swapped out every single piece of equipment I could: modem, router, the adapters multiple times, with different brands whenever possible. I set up QoS rules so well that I could run torrents at full speed and have calls uninterrupted...when DigitalVoice was having a good day.

I had to dial 911 once and discovered to my annoyance that I did not receive the advertised e911 but instead basic 911. According to their website, I had set up e911 correctly, but my call was still sent to a national 911 call centre and routed from there to Vancouver. I was surprised to note that this took quite some time - probably 45 seconds to a minute. Fortunately, the emergency was not life-threatening.

I decided to switch providers when one day I used an analog phone line to check my voicemail remotely, and to my surprise noticed the same quality issues. This was a confirmation for me that the issues I was experiencing were not to do with my equipment. I have since switched to Shaw Digital Phone at the office and VoIP.ms at home and have (so far!) had success with these providers.

member for 5.7 years, 3403 visits, last login: a few hours ago