Netfone page on DSLReports

Review by mik724 See Profile

• Location: Surrey,BC
Good "Cheap long distance, Can use without PC."
Bad "Not so Reliable"

I have been using VOIP netfone.ca for about a year. I am in British Columbia.

Some of the problems I have are following. These issues happens to about 10% of the calls:
1) Sometimes the call disconnects 2 or 3 times during the same conversation. I use this to call my clients so it does destroy my confidence at times.
2) Sometimes the caller on the other side complains that my voice is breaking.

My internet is 7.5 Mbps download and 512 Kbps upload. I wonder if the low upload speed contribute to the issues. Once in while, the phone line stops working and I have to restart my VOIP Router (RTP300).

Following are the some advantages:
a) Lets you make calls using regular phone line without using PC, compared to Skype or MagicJack that needs PC.
b) Comes with standard features like Caller ID Blocking and Voicemail.
c) We can setup to receive notification of Voicemails and Missed Calls by email
d) On basic plan, they charge 2.5 cents per minute for long distance (US/Canada), compared to 4 cents per minute charged by Shaw or Telus.

Comments:

Review by Mango See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Bad "Their sales agent couldn't even form a complete sentence."
Overall "I never signed up."

·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw
·AcroVoice
My only interaction with this company was when I used their live chat.

Mark: Welcome to Netfone Support, how may I help you?
Mango: Hi, what city(ies) are your SIP servers located in?
Mark: Entiter canda

Okay. I can come up with one of two scenarios. Either there's an actual city somewhere called "Entiter canda" that I can't find with Google Maps and you gave a server to some guy there and told him to "plug this box in down in your basement and turn it on." Or, you meant to type "Entire Canada" and you actually have a server in every city in Canada, from Torbay, Newfoundland to Frickitscold, Yukon. I can't decide which is more accurate so let me just rephrase my question.

Mango: So you have a server in Vancouver?
Mark: yes
Mango: May I please have the IP so I can test the latency?

[I wait 35 minutes]

Mango: Did I stump you?

[I wait another 30 minutes]

Mango: Mark?

[I wait another 28 minutes. I decide that Mark's dead, man.]

member for 5.6 years, 3368 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by voipcanada See Profile

• Location: Vancouver,BC
Good "Cheap"
Bad "Terrible support, very poor security, insulting communication"
Overall "Avoid at all costs"

This company initially looked attractive due to the roughly $10 per month fee, and unlimited long distance calling in Canada. I was okay for the first month, then things started to get ugly.

First I started getting phone calls from people claiming that I had called them and hung up. I started receiving angry voicemails from people demanding that I stop calling them. Netfone said they could find no record of the calls. Then I started to get calls from my local police claiming that 911 had been dialed.

Netfone said numerous times that they were 'looking into it' and research was being done. The problem would go away for a month, then return. Finally, I received a call from the police that they had entered my home when I was at work, as 911 had been dialed. I asked them to discontinue my service, and they said they would change my number, and remove all billing until that point.

No unusual calls since then, but I just got a notice for an overdue bill, with no discounts. I emailed to remind them about my reduced billing due to the problems that I get this, they say that I have until the end of the day tomorrow to pay the full bill, or they are sending the account to collections. I guess I have no choice but to pay them, or my credit rating will suffer.

This has been a nightmare. Avoid netfone.ca at all costs if you value the privacy of your home, and your credit rating.