AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by krypt0 See Profile

• Location: Midwest
Good "Fairly reliable. 4G LTE speeds are good in supported areas. "
Bad "Verizon has better data coverage"
Overall "Average"

Provisioned Speed: N/A
Received Speed: N/A

LTE(5): »www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/978076133
LTE(6): »www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/998701404

Comments:

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Very fast"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "Way better than Sprint 3G"

I was a Hughes satellite customer for way too long. I switched to Sprint via Millenicom about 3 years ago and that worked well until recently, when the service just fell off the table, no doubt due to tower congestion. I switched to AT&T when they introduced 4G service in Puerto Rico (where I live) and it was much faster. The 5Gb cap was a bit of a bother, but since I was paying Millenicom $70 a month and the AT&T was only $50, with a $10/Gb charge for overage, I figured I could have 7Gb for the same price I was paying Millenicom, and I can live with 7Gb...we have two computers on our home LAN and it works for us.

The really good news is AT&T apparently just upgraded their equipment and now we can have LTE service instead of the HSPA+ we were getting before and the improvement is stunning. My download speeds are as high as 12mbps, and usually in the 5-7mbps range.

Ordering was a breeze...I just went to the AT&T store, picked up the gear and had it working that afternoon.

UPDATE ON ROUTER USE: There have been major advances in 4G compatible routers. Cradlepoint routers now fully support 4G I had the CTR500 but it was not always dependable...lots of tech support calls, operations grew increasingly erratic until I finally upgraded to the CBR450, which works well with 4G and the Sierra aircard. See CP for a list of supported aircards/modems

Since I already have two LinkSys access points, I got the router without WiFi, and connect everything via an 8 port switch and the Netgear EOP for one of the access points. .

LATEST UPDATE (April 2013) 4G service here continues to be good. AT&T opened a new tower about 3-4 miles from my house and my signal level has jumped seriously. Speeds settle in at around 4-6Mbps which is more than adequate, and AT&T has announced new, bigger data plans: 10Gb for $80 (previously $100) and 15Gb for $110 ($150). Not too bad a deal if there are no other options, which there aren't.

UPDATE July 2014. The Cradlepoint router I was using, the CBR450, finally went south...all lights lit, apparently connected, but no IP coming out. After speaking to CP, who told me they no longer make that model, I bought their new model, an MBR95, which works nicely. The WiFi is stronger, so now I use its wifi instead of the old LinkSys WRT54G. Makes for a simpler setup.

UPDATE AUGUST 2014. My old LinkSys WAP finally got obsoleted! Several of our newer devices, like tablets and phones would not connect correctly via the old WAP and according to LinkSys is was a question of validation (??) and the cure was a newer WAP. I got a nice almost new WAP610 on Ebay and it works perfectly.

Comments:

Charles49

@centennialpr.net

313U Air Card

Hola Jeff:
I have an Att Air card 313 and am looking for a router for it.
I was wondering if you finally found one that works. I was on the Cradlepoint web page and they state that several of their routers support the Momentum 4g Lte air card. Do you have any info on this?
Thanks, Charles

caribconsult
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR

Re: 313U Air Card

Hola, Charles,

Exito con el CP router? Que hiciste?

Review by ggultra2764 See Profile

• Location: Cambridge,Washington,NY
Good "Offers features like tethering and direct AT&T customer service not provided with most prepaid providers."
Bad "Tethered connection usually drops on me."
Overall "AT&T GoPhone is one of the better prepaid offerings to go for if you don't want to be on a contract."

·Millenicom
Guess it is long due for me to cover AT&T since I've been milking their GoPhone plans for five years now. I've been a customer on their prepaid plan for five years now when my mother got me a Samsung SGH-A167 from them as a birthday gift for me which was a basic phone that came with a VGA camera and GPRS data connection. Crazy as it sounds, that was the very first cell phone I had. Their offerings for prepaid in 2009 were rather laughable at the time I got on them as you had to pay for separate packages for talk, text messages and data with a $3 a day unlimited talk plan being their best offering for talk, paying for unlimited texting for $20 a month and only able to use up to 300 MB of data (in increments of three 100 MB purchases) for your prepaid plan in a month. This meant for the best offerings to get off them, you would be paying $170 a month.

Thankfully, their plans have changed significantly within the past 5 years that have made them one of the better prepaid phone providers to stick with as they've got four choices of monthly plans for smartphone users offering mostly reasonable offerings in a $25, $40, $45 and $60 plans depending on usage habits. I'm presently on their $60 plan which comes with unlimited talk and text, 2.5 GB of data and the ability to tether your phone to a computer. The 500 MB and tethering capability were recently added to the $60 plan a few months ago. To my knowledge, tethering isn't offered by many prepaid wireless providers and having this addition to my GoPhone came at a convenient time for me as I had to discontinue use of my old 3G wireless aircard from Millenicom due to them raising their monthly rates on it to $90 and I needed a backup source of data in case I was cutting close on the 20 GB data cap for my Hotspot plan from Millenicom. I don't often use my phone for talking and texting, so those are just additional perks with the plan I got as I was originally on AT&T's cheaper $25 monthly plan (250 minutes of talking, unlimited text and only 50 MB of data a month unless milking Wi-Fi) before I switched to the $60 plan.

I presently have an AT&T Z998 phone that has LTE speed, though it appears I presently lack coverage for it in my area as the speed on my phone tops out at 3 Mbps (HSPA) for download speed when I tether it to my computer. Still, it is fast enough where I can get by with most activities I do online. The only real issues I have with tethering my Z998 are the low data cap (usually need 4-5 GB of data for backup) and the connection usually dropping on me at inopportune times. The former can be extended by buying 1 GB additional increments of data at $10 a pop, which can add more to what I pay on my prepaid plan in a month as I'm presently paying at least $150 monthly for Internet between tethering my phone and using my hotspot.

Gripes aside, AT&T GoPhone is still one of the better prepaid plans that you could go for with their wide offering of plans, ability to tether on the bigger monthly plans and AT&T's large amount of wireless coverage. While I wouldn't want to be on a contract with AT&T since they are as bad as Verizon with monthly rates for wireless devices, I've been mostly satisfied with being a GoPhone customer with them over the past five years.

UPDATE (8/2/14): I just downgraded my prepaid plan to a $45 one offered through Wal-Mart that includes much of the same stuff I had prior, but with only 1 GB of data and allowing for 500 MB of additional data at $10 a pop. This is because effective this month, I'm now planning to add on 20 GB of additional data each month on my present hotspot plan with Millenicom in case I am cutting close on my data cap since I've been getting complaints from my family over the past few months over having to cut speed or data usage whenever we get close to our data cap. This is sadly gonna drive up how much I'm paying for Internet again out here.

member for 7.1 years, 2759 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by exxtacypilot See Profile

• Location: Rhome,Wise,TX
Good "Quick to obtain and set up"
Bad "Too expensive for speed and reliability provided"
Overall "Availability and usability is spotty at best away from large population centers"

As of late 2013, I purchased new smart phones and switched to »ting.com/ a Sprint MVNO. Half the cost and better service.

I subscribed to have an alternate internet service when CenturyLink DSL is down, as well as some mobile Internet access. My experience while traveling between TX to OK over the holiday indicates this AT&T service is less that useful for mobile use. AT&T coverage maps are not reliable. Dial-up ISP will be faster and more reliable in most areas other than population centers were wireless service is better/faster.

It may work well enough for short periods of DSL outages at home. But I won't be renewing my subscription unless there are significant improvements in coverage and speed.

member for 10.2 years, 1911 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by seacap See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,Saint Thomas,VI
Good "blazing fast speed tests 4-6 Mps"
Bad "still won't load a web page very fast"
Overall "For the money I'll go back to my old 4G local provider at 3Mps and $54"

We have always had problems with good internet access here in the Virgin islands. I was using a 4G modem from a local company here, Choice.

But I would get bumped off or the throughput would dwindle to nothing etc. so I decided to try AT&T since my Gallaxy got such blazing speeds. So now I have it and the speed tests out great. But damn if I can load most web pages. Very slow in actual use.

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "it works all the time"
Bad "expensive 2GB cap. Good HSPA+ cpverage tops out at 10 MBPS here. "
Overall "I only use it when I have no access to wifi"

·Cox HSI
The service seems to be OK. I use it for my android phone when I am on the go and have no wifi access. The service is fast and reliable. The service is expensive for what you pay for I am using a nexus4 which is unlocked. I am using their prepaid service.

member for 7.4 years, 3944 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by kevin_pink See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "nothing"
Bad "$405 dollar first bill"
Overall "stay away from AT&T wireless"

4 phones (2 with data, 2 without).
iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, and 2 talk only 'dumb' phones

"4G" is crippled on the Atrix, 2/0.2 Mb is about as good as i've seen on the Atrix.

Finally got rid of this company and moved to Straight Talk. $50/month per smart phone this month, next month, every month.

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "AT&T's h+ work's well fast and in more places than verizon's 4G"
Bad "Pre paid caps your speeds at 1mbs, had to go post paid for 5mbs +"
Overall "Not as fast as verizon's 4G CAN be, but works better over all"

I had it for over a year with my verizon line and could not let go.

Support is not bad, but not the best I have seen. ( I still don't know way I was billed $20 more that one month, but they fixed it so that good and did not take long.)

HSPA+ is way faster in most cases than verizon's CDMA based 3G and it may as well be 4G than 3G. Can do HD video and more on it that next to never could be done on verizon's 3G. Droped fewer call's yet made more of them with AT&T VS verizon. ( 2 call's this year with AT&T VS 3-5 with verzion in a about a year. P.S I don't make alot of calls so it may have been more for both if I did call more.)

member for 2 years, 365 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

caribconsult
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
·AT&T Wireless Br..

various levels of 4G

Something the telcos don't tell you is that 4G comes in at least three levels of performance: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, in ascending order of speed. My local AT&T outfit upgraded a few months ago to LTE and the difference is very noticeable. The AT&T connection manager and most routers will tell you what level you are getting, and the Sierra313U modem AT&T commonly uses has a data light that goes from blue (any HSPA) to green (LTE) to also indicate the level you are getting.
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "Has been reliable so far"
Bad "Phone sales told me several lies. Go to a store."
Overall "Cap stinks but has been reliable. HSPA+, anxious for LTE"

Had Sprint, Sprint/Millenicom, VZW LTE, all flaky as hell. AT&T looks like the tortoise to VZW's hare.They'll tell you anything on the phone. Had to go to a store to get the straight talk (and to get my account to work!).

Comments:

Review by XANAVirus See Profile

• Location: Lavalette,Wayne,WV
Good "Stable connections, no packet loss, VoIP and VPN 'allowed', good rural coverage with 3G."
Bad "Slow, seemingly no new local rural network development (no 3G at home), pricey."
Overall "Not the best period, but thus far the best provider for my area. 50/50, so-so, etc."

·Callcentric
I have been a business customer with AT&T since 2005 for our local family-owned law firm, and have had the unlimited data plan for as long as I can remember (but if I ever have to get rid of it, I'm jumping ship immediately).

We have the FamilyTalk Nation-to-Nation 2100 Rollover plan, with unlimited N/W, unlimited roaming, unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile, and unlimited text/data - total costs range from 310-330 USD ($310-$330).

So far, it's been a 'good' experience, in that we have stable 3G out here in West Virginia (which, in my honest opinion, is pretty rural).

I can't say it's fast, however, since the many speedtests I've performed show us get 1Mbit down and 1Mbit up.
Of course these speeds are fluctuating all the time, and it sticks around that area (0.01Kbit-1.00Mbit).

I wish they would have more backhual around here, since we do have consistent 4-5 bars of 3G around - I feel we could have much more than 1Mbits connection speed if they bothered.

No, I'm not talking about 4G, but instead about getting a faster backhual connection (higher than a T1).

The good things are that I have 2,100 minutes I can use, along with thousands upon thousands of rollover minutes (usually stays around 20,000), since we have 4 lines right now.

We also have unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile and unlimited texting, along with unlimited roaming and nights-and-weekends.
We do have 'unlimited' data, but given the speeds we see it's hardly usable for anything.

As such, we are highly unlikely to be going over our limits.

I will admit that is very incredibly pricey, though.
My/Our business pays the bill so I can't really do anything about it.

That's the bad thing, all these minutes, sms/mms messages and data, but only the first two can be of any real use.
I am one of the many lines on the plan, and use my Callcentric line to make my calls (as such I've not used any minutes), and I don't text.

I regularly use 100-200MB of data, unless we are on vacation where it then jumps up 1-10GB depending on what I do while traveling down (but I don't drive myself).
I try to use WiFi wherever possible though, since that's faster than my connection right now.

Our other lines use the other features of the plan very often, but I'm only speaking for me here.

The other good things are that I can use my VPN to mask my data (not that that is good for anything given the aforementioned speeds), and be able to use VoIP.

There's no packet loss, but there is high latency, usually in the realm of 200-300ms.

I never use my VoIP unless connected to the VPN, since I have no idea whether I am 'allowed' to use VoIP on the wap.cingular APN (for that matter, I also have no idea whether VPN is allowed either).

At home, we don't have 3G through the AT&T network normally, so we had to purchase a microcell for home in order to use the cell phones there (and the only time we do that is when we are already on a phone call when we come home and don't want to hang up).
They don't seem to want to put up any new towers around in WV, so that bites. Great service in Huntington, though, 5 bars everywhere!

Unfortunately, I live out in the country (as you can see from my location), about 8 miles from Huntington. I have no intentions of moving any time soon, I don't want to give up the privacy nor the 'serene-ness' of my current location.

Oh yes, their tech support.
It's horrible.

They outsource, just like everybody else nowadays and as such you'll never get them to admit to anything or any problems unless you can get higher than teir-1 support.
Luckily, since the connection is stable I hardly ever have to call them.

The bottom line is:
AT&T is a good provider for West Virginia, and you could look at them if you want to, but don't ask me for any recommendation, since it's quite 50/50 over here.

In my opinion, their 3G network still needs some work before they start nudging me over to 4G.

member for 2.6 years, 837 visits, last login: a few hours ago