AT&T Wireless Broadband page on DSLReports

Review by seacap See Profile

• Location: St Thomas,Saint Thomas,VI
Good "blazing fast speed tests 4-6 Mps"
Bad "still won't load a web page very fast"
Overall "For the money I'll go back to my old 4G local provider at 3Mps and $54"

We have always had problems with good internet access here in the Virgin islands. I was using a 4G modem from a local company here, Choice.

But I would get bumped off or the throughput would dwindle to nothing etc. so I decided to try AT&T since my Gallaxy got such blazing speeds. So now I have it and the speed tests out great. But damn if I can load most web pages. Very slow in actual use.

member for 11.3 years, 255 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by jchambers28 See Profile

• Location: Alma,Crawford,AR
Good "it works all the time"
Bad "expensive 2GB cap. Good HSPA+ cpverage tops out at 10 MBPS here. "
Overall "I only use it when I have no access to wifi"

·Cox HSI
The service seems to be OK. I use it for my android phone when I am on the go and have no wifi access. The service is fast and reliable. The service is expensive for what you pay for I am using a nexus4 which is unlocked. I am using their prepaid service.

member for 6.9 years, 3619 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

Review by caribconsult See Profile

• Location: Mayaguez,Mayaguez,PR
Good "Very fast"
Bad "a little pricey"
Overall "Way better than Sprint 3G"

I was a Hughes satellite customer for way too long. I switched to Sprint via Millenicom about 3 years ago and that worked well until recently, when the service just fell off the table, no doubt due to tower congestion. I switched to AT&T when they introduced 4G service in Puerto Rico (where I live) and it was much faster. The 5Gb cap was a bit of a bother, but since I was paying Millenicom $70 a month and the AT&T was only $50, with a $10/Gb charge for overage, I figured I could have 7Gb for the same price I was paying Millenicom, and I can live with 7Gb...we have two computers on our home LAN and it works for us.

The really good news is AT&T apparently just upgraded their equipment and now we can have LTE service instead of the HSPA+ we were getting before and the improvement is stunning. My download speeds are as high as 12mbps, and usually in the 5-7mbps range.

Ordering was a breeze...I just went to the AT&T store, picked up the gear and had it working that afternoon.

UPDATE ON ROUTER USE: There have been major advances in 4G compatible routers. Cradlepoint routers now fully support 4G I had the CTR500 but it was not always dependable...lots of tech support calls, operations grew increasingly erratic until I finally upgraded to the CBR450, which works well with 4G and the Sierra aircard. See CP for a list of supported aircards/modems

Since I already have two LinkSys access points, I got the router without WiFi, and connect everything via an 8 port switch and the Netgear EOP for one of the access points. .

LATEST UPDATE (April 2013) 4G service here continues to be good. AT&T opened a new tower about 3-4 miles from my house and my signal level has jumped seriously. Speeds settle in at around 4-6Mbps which is more than adequate, and AT&T has announced new, bigger data plans: 10Gb for $80 (previously $100) and 15Gb for $110 ($150). Not too bad a deal if there are no other options, which there aren't.

Comments:

Charles49

@centennialpr.net

313U Air Card

Hola Jeff:
I have an Att Air card 313 and am looking for a router for it.
I was wondering if you finally found one that works. I was on the Cradlepoint web page and they state that several of their routers support the Momentum 4g Lte air card. Do you have any info on this?
Thanks, Charles

·AT&T Wireless Br..

Re: 313U Air Card

Hi Charles, sorry it took this long to respond to you. The CP router and 4G is highly variable, depending on just what kind of 4G your have; there are several levels: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, and probably a few more, but the point is, my CTR500, which ran fine when I used it with Sprint 3G, ran like crap with the 313U when I upgraded to 4G. My service was in the HSPA-HSPA+ range. CP Tech made minor config changes but reliability was awful. It would just dump and crash regularly There are two firmware uploads at CP's site you need for some router and aircards, but even with all that it ran so bad I bagged it and used the aircard in my travel laptop as a windows ICS host (not my favorite configuration).

As soon as it went LTE about a month ago I tried the router again and it ran the best I've ever seen....the router/modem combo stays connected for days at a time and reconnects withing 20 seconds if it drops for some unknown reason.

Go figure. I spent hours with a very good techguy at CP and he was as astonished as I was. You can tell what level you have with the software that comes with the device, the "Connection Manager" and you can also tell by looking at the LEDs on the aircard. Holding the aircard with the AT&T logo at the top, the left light is blue if the device is powered up. The right light will be blue for any variety of HSPA, and it will go green for LTE. That's how I discovered they had switched. The difference in performance is remarkable. Plus it stays connected. If you've got a green light, then I'd go with the CP router line. Their tech support is good and I've had no problems with mine other than what I described above. If you don't have LTE, I'd make sure I could get my money back on any 4G router, CP or not, if it doesn't behave well.

I hope this helps you. Just IM me if you have any other questions.
Sierra 313U/AT&T 4G LTE in Cradlepoint CTR500 router, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro units, FireFox everywhere.

Hola, Charles,

Exito con el CP router? Que hiciste?

Review by kevin_pink See Profile

• Location: Bronx,Bronx,NY
  • Cost Contract price not specified. (24 month contract)
Good "nothing"
Bad "$405 dollar first bill"
Overall "stay away from AT&T wireless"

4 phones (2 with data, 2 without).
iPhone 4, Atrix 4G, and 2 talk only 'dumb' phones

"4G" is crippled on the Atrix, 2/0.2 Mb is about as good as i've seen on the Atrix.

Finally got rid of this company and moved to Straight Talk. $50/month per smart phone this month, next month, every month.

Comments:

Review by why60loss See Profile

• Location: Wake Forest,Wake,NC
Good "AT&T's h+ work's well fast and in more places than verizon's 4G"
Bad "Pre paid caps your speeds at 1mbs, had to go post paid for 5mbs +"
Overall "Not as fast as verizon's 4G CAN be, but works better over all"

I had it for over a year with my verizon line and could not let go.

Support is not bad, but not the best I have seen. ( I still don't know way I was billed $20 more that one month, but they fixed it so that good and did not take long.)

HSPA+ is way faster in most cases than verizon's CDMA based 3G and it may as well be 4G than 3G. Can do HD video and more on it that next to never could be done on verizon's 3G. Droped fewer call's yet made more of them with AT&T VS verizon. ( 2 call's this year with AT&T VS 3-5 with verzion in a about a year. P.S I don't make alot of calls so it may have been more for both if I did call more.)

member for 1.5 years, 130 visits, last login: a few hours ago

Comments:

caribconsult
·AT&T Wireless Br..

various levels of 4G

Something the telcos don't tell you is that 4G comes in at least three levels of performance: HSPA, HSPA+ and LTE, in ascending order of speed. My local AT&T outfit upgraded a few months ago to LTE and the difference is very noticeable. The AT&T connection manager and most routers will tell you what level you are getting, and the Sierra313U modem AT&T commonly uses has a data light that goes from blue (any HSPA) to green (LTE) to also indicate the level you are getting.

Review by mc1lean See Profile

• Location: Lincolnton,Lincoln,NC
Good "Has been reliable so far"
Bad "Phone sales told me several lies. Go to a store."
Overall "Cap stinks but has been reliable. HSPA+, anxious for LTE"

·Verizon Wireless..
Had Sprint, Sprint/Millenicom, VZW LTE, all flaky as hell. AT&T looks like the tortoise to VZW's hare.They'll tell you anything on the phone. Had to go to a store to get the straight talk (and to get my account to work!).

Comments:

Review by XANAVirus See Profile

• Location: Lavalette,Wayne,WV
Good "Stable connections, no packet loss, VoIP and VPN 'allowed', good rural coverage with 3G."
Bad "Slow, seemingly no new local rural network development (no 3G at home), pricey."
Overall "Not the best period, but thus far the best provider for my area. 50/50, so-so, etc."

·Callcentric
·Suddenlink
I have been a business customer with AT&T since 2005 for our local family-owned law firm, and have had the unlimited data plan for as long as I can remember (but if I ever have to get rid of it, I'm jumping ship immediately).

We have the FamilyTalk Nation-to-Nation 2100 Rollover plan, with unlimited N/W, unlimited roaming, unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile, and unlimited text/data - total costs range from 310-330 USD ($310-$330).

So far, it's been a 'good' experience, in that we have stable 3G out here in West Virginia (which, in my honest opinion, is pretty rural).

I can't say it's fast, however, since the many speedtests I've performed show us get 1Mbit down and 1Mbit up.
Of course these speeds are fluctuating all the time, and it sticks around that area (0.01Kbit-1.00Mbit).

I wish they would have more backhual around here, since we do have consistent 4-5 bars of 3G around - I feel we could have much more than 1Mbits connection speed if they bothered.

No, I'm not talking about 4G, but instead about getting a faster backhual connection (higher than a T1).

The good things are that I have 2,100 minutes I can use, along with thousands upon thousands of rollover minutes (usually stays around 20,000), since we have 4 lines right now.

We also have unlimited mobile-to-any-mobile and unlimited texting, along with unlimited roaming and nights-and-weekends.
We do have 'unlimited' data, but given the speeds we see it's hardly usable for anything.

As such, we are highly unlikely to be going over our limits.

I will admit that is very incredibly pricey, though.
My/Our business pays the bill so I can't really do anything about it.

That's the bad thing, all these minutes, sms/mms messages and data, but only the first two can be of any real use.
I am one of the many lines on the plan, and use my Callcentric line to make my calls (as such I've not used any minutes), and I don't text.

I regularly use 100-200MB of data, unless we are on vacation where it then jumps up 1-10GB depending on what I do while traveling down (but I don't drive myself).
I try to use WiFi wherever possible though, since that's faster than my connection right now.

Our other lines use the other features of the plan very often, but I'm only speaking for me here.

The other good things are that I can use my VPN to mask my data (not that that is good for anything given the aforementioned speeds), and be able to use VoIP.

There's no packet loss, but there is high latency, usually in the realm of 200-300ms.

I never use my VoIP unless connected to the VPN, since I have no idea whether I am 'allowed' to use VoIP on the wap.cingular APN (for that matter, I also have no idea whether VPN is allowed either).

At home, we don't have 3G through the AT&T network normally, so we had to purchase a microcell for home in order to use the cell phones there (and the only time we do that is when we are already on a phone call when we come home and don't want to hang up).
They don't seem to want to put up any new towers around in WV, so that bites. Great service in Huntington, though, 5 bars everywhere!

Unfortunately, I live out in the country (as you can see from my location), about 8 miles from Huntington. I have no intentions of moving any time soon, I don't want to give up the privacy nor the 'serene-ness' of my current location.

Oh yes, their tech support.
It's horrible.

They outsource, just like everybody else nowadays and as such you'll never get them to admit to anything or any problems unless you can get higher than teir-1 support.
Luckily, since the connection is stable I hardly ever have to call them.

The bottom line is:
AT&T is a good provider for West Virginia, and you could look at them if you want to, but don't ask me for any recommendation, since it's quite 50/50 over here.

In my opinion, their 3G network still needs some work before they start nudging me over to 4G.

member for 2.1 years, 610 visits, last login: a few hours ago

• Location: Winston Salem,Forsyth,NC
Good "They arrived on time"
Bad "Everything after installation"
Overall "Don't waste your money."

Do NOT waste your money on this company. They installed my broadband
internet on the 30th, and I've spent the last 4 days trying to get them to
fix a problem that has existed since installation - it's a common issue
that concerns the servers they direct you to that interferes with websites
like Amazon.com, and sometimes Netflix. It was also taking forever for some
pages to load, despite the speed test showing as normal (on all 3
computers). After literally spending hours on chat and phone, I was told I
would either have to pay a one-time $49.99 fee for tier 2 tech support, or
a $15 monthly subscription for the same. Instead, I ordered a wifi modem
(from my 3g iPad, since I couldn't order it on Amazon through their wifi)
and set up installation with Time Warner - I'll be calling ATT Monday
morning to tell them to disconnect - which I'm sure they'll charge me an
arm and a leg for. Additionally, I spent several hours with their "support"
staff trying to get my Uverse and wireless accounts setup online, because
they have a different system here than my former state. Frankly, when my
phone contracts are close to expiring, I'm washing my hands of ATT
completely.

(review was emailed from domain gmail.com)

Comments:

Review by nolan65 See Profile

• Location: Arlington,Tarrant,TX
Good "Smokin fast"
Bad "5g cap"
Overall "all I can get in my office"

Clearwire sucks. Not usable in my office.
ATT LTE is very fast, although the 5 G cap sucks, at least I can work....

Comments:

Review by bkwyatt98 See Profile

• Location: Martinsville,Martinsville City,VA
Good "AT&T's HSPA+ is very fast and competitive to LTE. Their LTE speeds blow everything out of the water."
Bad " AT&T's LTE network is still struggling to catch up to the likes of Verizon coverage wise."
Overall "Whether you are in a HSPA+ are or LTE you will love the speed and service"

·Verizon Wireless..
I have a family account with an iphone4 and a galaxy note with hot spot. For the most part my area gets 4 mbps downlink and 2 uplink. It does not come close to Verizon's LTE but I am very happy with my coverage and speeds I have no plans to ever switch my phone service to another company. Call quality is much clearer than Verizon or Sprint.AT&T is a little bit cheaper than Verizon but not by much, If you are looking for cell phone service AT&T is great you have to remember that with Verizon or sprint if you drop down to 3G speeds you are looking at maybe 1 mbps. My AT&T speeds are on 3G that shows how much better the network is you will always have amazing speeds unless you happen to get into a area on the EDGE network which does not happen often for me though edge speeds are about the same as I have got with Verizon or Sprint 3G.